PDA

View Full Version : Is this game any good...

karst
Jul 18, 2007, 05:04 PM
I played PSO for gamecube online for a good 6 months, have a 150ish hunter and a couple 100s, been playing other games (WoW, hehe) and have been hearing a lot of mixed opinions about this game. Obviously I enjoyed PSO a lot, can I get some opinions on this game for an ex-hardcore PSO player?

karst
Jul 18, 2007, 05:04 PM
ps. I'd play it on the 360

RappyRobot
Jul 18, 2007, 05:05 PM
depends if u are playing ps2/pc or xbox version need to know that to give u a really good answer....and u might want to wait till AOI comes out ...but thats your call http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

KveerRaven
Jul 18, 2007, 05:10 PM
I play it on the 360 as well. I'm coming from a 120 HUmar Yellowboze myself. I enjoy it, though the Rare Item finding thing has changed drasitically. Its no longer the following:

1) Kill enemy
2) Kill enemy again
3) Kill the enemy quite a few more times
4) SHIT! Awesome! Its a red box!
5) Tek said found red box, yep, there's that rare weapon/armor/shield/unit/whatever else.

Nope, this has changed. yes, Some rare weapons still do drop, but the majority are dropped in the form of a Synthesis Board that you then have to have the right materials and, by that time, when you go to Synth the said rare weapon or whatever, there's a chance that it won't work and you'll have to go back out and Hunt that Synth Board again.

Otherwise, I love the game, I'm addicted, my Wife is addicted. Send an FR to OmniDevil if you ever want to play the real version (don't play the demo anymore). I still miss the PSO on GC, but I still play offline every now and then.

Oh yeah, the standard weapons don't change photon color anymore (such as going from a saber to a brand) the only time it does is if its a rare weapon (sometimes) or has an element on it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KveerRaven on 2007-07-18 15:12 ]</font>

GreenArcher
Jul 18, 2007, 05:10 PM
Well if you're going for the 360, why not go play the free demo and see for yourself?

karst
Jul 18, 2007, 05:12 PM
ohhhh there's a demo? my 360 is being repaired atm (thanks red ring of doom...) but I'll check that out when I get it back. thanks.

gonna play some gamecube PSO in the meantime

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: karst on 2007-07-18 15:12 ]</font>

JAFO22000
Jul 18, 2007, 05:13 PM
On 2007-07-18 15:10, Green_Archer3 wrote:
Well if you're going for the 360, why not go play the free demo and see for yourself?

Agreed...Just understand that the views of the people in the lobbies on the demo do not necessarily represent those on the full version! Seriously, if you play the demo you have to understand that the lobbies are about 2146 times more annoying than those in the full version. With that in mind, try the demo so you won't be out any money if you dislike the game.

Cz
Jul 18, 2007, 05:13 PM
this game has wasted 1000+ hrs. of my time so far...so yeah, it is a good game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

APEXi
Jul 18, 2007, 05:14 PM
yup, 360's the way to go

ThEoRy
Jul 18, 2007, 05:21 PM
You can buy it online for 20$ or less! So yeah, it's a no brainer here.

Jaspaller
Jul 18, 2007, 05:22 PM
Most of the people on the demo are complete jackasses doing things like kicking you out of the party for no reason. People on the full version do not act like that. Like JAFO22000 said, "The views of the people in the lobbies on the demo do not necessarily represent those on the full version!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jaspaller on 2007-07-18 15:22 ]</font>

DreamLocke
Jul 18, 2007, 05:30 PM
I prefer a co-op online game rather than PvP. And I hate FFXI. So as far as options, PSU for 360 is the only alternative right now.

Not saying I hate PSU, it's damn addictive and I don't really play any other game right now. I'm also a Dreamcast PSO vet with endgame-level RAmar and Humar. (Raikou and Gheist...I miss you...)So I do like the series' style.

For the 360, PSU won't really wow you with the graphics at all. But the sheer amount of things to do plus the option to just hang out and socialize in the lobbies will hook you.

It's a simple game at first, but you can use as much strategy as you want and as you can see on the "Gameplay, Guides, and Walkthroughs" forum on this site, PSU can get quite complex.

karst
Jul 18, 2007, 05:32 PM
do you get a month free?

Jet1337
Jul 18, 2007, 06:07 PM
Karst, do yourself a favor and get Blue Burst. Seriously. Or have patience and wait for Two Worlds.

I quit PSU, and wish I could go back to PSO, but they haven't made that BC yet.

KiteWolfwood
Jul 18, 2007, 06:29 PM
No it's not.

McLaughlin
Jul 18, 2007, 06:43 PM
On 2007-07-18 16:07, Jet1337 wrote:
Karst, do yourself a favor and get Blue Burst. Seriously. Or have patience and wait for Two Worlds.

I quit PSU, and wish I could go back to PSO, but they haven't made that BC yet.

PSOBB has all of six active players. There's no point in paying to play a game by yourself.

PSOX won't be backwards compatible because all your character saves were stuck on the HDD. You'd be starting over, which is a bigger issue than it would be with other games (FPS games and Racing games).

jgar000
Jul 18, 2007, 08:25 PM
sonic team is trying to get to us by putting the s rank boards scarcely so everybody will keep playing to try to get the good stuff

mrlion
Jul 18, 2007, 08:34 PM
On 2007-07-18 15:32, karst wrote:
do you get a month free?

actually its 15 days, I know because I just bought it.

Zorafim
Jul 19, 2007, 02:12 AM
My advice is to wait until the expansion. PSU isn't PSO, and it's not perfect yet. There are alot of flaws with it, and many things that got you hooked to PSO are just gone. For instance, each level is a line now, instead of a maze. The music is in-your-face, instead of ambient (most people turn off the music while they play. I myself love videogame music, but have done the same). The story is very anime-ish, as opposed to sci-fi. Newmans are now space elves (worst change).

Anyway, don't expect PSO, because you aren't going to get it. However, you'll get something close, so try to enjoy it.

DurakkenX
Jul 19, 2007, 02:43 AM
By all means, just like PSO this game should be utter crap and you should hate it with all that is your being...but for some reason it is still a good game... It's amazing and unexplainable that this game is liked even though it's got a lot of major probs.

Complex_Jao
Jul 19, 2007, 02:49 AM
PSU:AoI will be more like pso so if you don't like not having ragol hold out for AoI.If you don't care get it.

Zorafim
Jul 19, 2007, 03:33 AM
It won't be more like PSO. It'll have many things from PSO, sure, but the game will still be PSU.

KveerRaven
Jul 19, 2007, 07:55 AM
Ok Guys, everyone seems to be going off topic. STAY on topic...stick to forum rules.

Anywho, dude, I played the demo 3 months ago and hated it. I didn't know how to play, no anyone to teach me how to play (because it is definitely different from PSO) and the lobby spammers and almost literal whores were annoying. I deleted the demo from my 360 HDD right away! 3 months later, a friend of mine convinced me to redownload (we borught back out old PSO party from GC, YAY!). I got hooked as did my wife. However, these are only opinions and should not be used to make your decision. Play the demo, decide for yourself.

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 19, 2007, 08:03 AM
The added total of time for all four of my characters... (not counting the ones I deleted) adds up to over 2,500 hours since January 6th.

ThEoRy
Jul 19, 2007, 02:50 PM
On 2007-07-19 00:49, Complex_Jao wrote:
PSU:AoI will be more like pso so if you don't like not having ragol hold out for AoI.If you don't care get it.

yeah PSO totally had the Just Guard features.... ???