PDA

View Full Version : Beast, Cast, or Human

Morganna
Jul 19, 2007, 10:45 AM
I am trying to figure out what race to choose for a fortefighter.

1. Beasts are the best stats, but I don't really like nanoblast that much, and from the side they look mutated/ugly...they're alright from the front though.

2. Casts are a bit weird looking in general, they cannot be made to look "normal" even though they'll get some normal looking clothes. Now, the one I've managed to get to 21 fortegunner is pretty, but kind of boring to look at after awhile:

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/2356/jormungand2jf6.jpg

3. Humans are basically normal looking and can wear good clothes. They will never equal beast or even cast fortefighters in terms of raw stats, but I would figure that it's just a matter of player skill at not sucking. Also, perhaps being able to use Creat weapons would help to make up for not being a beast.

What do you all think?

chibiLegolas
Jul 19, 2007, 10:49 AM
In the end, if looks are really important to you, pick the race that looks pleasing to you.
Any race/combination can work as long as you learn your strengths and weaknesses with the chosen combination. Like you said already, good players requires skill and shouldn't be hugely dependant on your race/class combo.

pikachief
Jul 19, 2007, 12:00 PM
i say cast http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif my friend gets very upset when his entire combo on his axe misses XD

with cast u almost never ever miss http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

i do get upset when my casts misses like 4 times in a row with my rifle though... its like WTF highest ATA mixed with gun with highest ATA and your missing more than my dum machine gun! >:{

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 19, 2007, 12:26 PM
There's not really a difference between Human and CAST except for ATA when you're using an Axe. And if you don't want to go Beast, that's ok even though they have the best stats as a fF. Don't count out Newmans either, even though they're the worst, unless you don't want pointy ears either.

Morganna
Jul 19, 2007, 12:30 PM
Was inspired to make another CAST. Here's how she ends up looking:

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/7773/beneiscariottl2.jpg

Akaimizu
Jul 19, 2007, 12:35 PM
The other idea between CAST and Human is being hardy. You can run in and take more punishment for being close than a Human. It's always good to feel more secure about your close range antics. This makes a big enough difference in playstyles and/or weapon selections between CAST and Human Guntechers, it certainly should be a factor for ForteFighter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-07-19 10:36 ]</font>

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 19, 2007, 12:37 PM
with cast u almost never ever miss http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Bull.

amtalx
Jul 19, 2007, 12:39 PM
I say Cast. Strength is nice but means nothing if you toss up goose eggs all day. In all the categories that Beasts are better, Casts are right behind them. In one of the categories that Casts win (consequently one of the most important for...y'know hitting things) Beasts are dead last.

ATP: Beasts win, but Casts are second. The difference will end up being negligible.
ATA: Casts by far and away. Beats can't hit the ground with a rock. This very important to fF since their ATA mod isn't very strong and Axes have garbage Acc.
TP: Uhhh..no.
MST: Beasts, but all magic in this game is slow so you can dodge it. Besides, armor is what stops most damage.
DFP: Casts, doesn't make a huge difference though. Again, good percentage armor will be stopping most of your damage.
EVP: Bad for a fortefighter, and the EVP mod is so low it won't matter.
HP: Beasts, but Casts are second.
Special: Beast mode sucks. You are vulnerable (unless using invincibility) and sometimes end up doing LESS damage. SUVs can inflict status effects and the DPS is off the charts. Plus you can switch them out mid-battle and carry as many as you want at a time.

DEM_CIG
Jul 19, 2007, 12:41 PM
On 2007-07-19 10:37, 360NyTeMaRe wrote:

Bull.

I never really miss...

DreadKnight
Jul 19, 2007, 01:27 PM
I'm enjoying my CAST hunter so far. I rarely miss and the damage is really nice *shrug.* Have a few more levels until I coud use my SUV.

A HUcaseal was my main in PSO because she had the 3rd highest ATP in the game along with the best hunter ATA(had the accuracy to use machineguns effectively and had the power for them to do amazing damage). I just love knowing that I can do some fantastic damage and that I "never" miss.

It really comes down to playstyle. A Beast fortefighter has the highest ATP in the game and I'm sure are just downright devastating in terms of dealing damage. I'm sure if you gave your Beast a good ATA unit for their armor they'd be ok.

Akaimizu
Jul 19, 2007, 01:37 PM
I'd argue against all magic being slow. Guess those high speed techs that some (medium sized) monsters start casting in S class are slow. The one-handed tossed techs are very fast. They aren't bullet fast, but they're second best. Also, plenty of area-effect fire is undodgable once activated, if you started within range of them starting up.

You also can be a bit unlucky with a spawn, and they spawn near you, instantly start Fire attack, and from the moment you saw the spawn, your escape opportunity is gone. I tested this from Linear Line S to Moatoob VoC S. The speed of mob attacks can't be a 360-only issue. Slow tech attacks are mainly things like Barta, Balls of Light, Foie (but only from a distance since the monsters spin around to attack incredibly fast), and Jarba Megid. (Only Jarba megid). But I would agree that MST isn't a real factor between any of the 3. Newman, by far, are generally the sole ones to take true advantages of their 100+ bonus in the stat.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-07-19 11:39 ]</font>

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 19, 2007, 02:20 PM
Anyone who says EVP is bad for Fortefighters needs to be smacked across the head. I hate it when people complain about that. Also, ATA wouldn't be much of an issue because ATA will get high enough so that you won't miss so much eventually, so IMO it really isn't all that important. Besides, who's forcing you to use axes? You have much more weapon in ur arsenal as well, like Fists, Claws, Twin Daggers, Twin Sabers, you don't HAVE to you nothing but axes. Also, DFP, something else that CASTs win at is pretty much worthless.

Proff
Jul 19, 2007, 03:52 PM
On 2007-07-19 12:20, Shiroryuu wrote:
Anyone who says EVP is bad for Fortefighters needs to be smacked across the head. I hate it when people complain about that. Also, ATA wouldn't be much of an issue because ATA will get high enough so that you won't miss so much eventually, so IMO it really isn't all that important. Besides, who's forcing you to use axes? You have much more weapon in ur arsenal as well, like Fists, Claws, Twin Daggers, Twin Sabers, you don't HAVE to you nothing but axes. Also, DFP, something else that CASTs win at is pretty much worthless.

I think EVP does suck for Fortefighters. As a melee class you ARE going to get hit eventually and I'd prefer the DFP to know I can take some hits. Blocking sucks ass as a Fortefighter too. It stops any PA but still costs the PP.

Saito S
Jul 19, 2007, 04:23 PM
Did anyone notice that Morganna made her decision about 8 posts ago? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif She made a Cast, and threw in a pic. And she looks cool, btw. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I myself have a Cast fF as well, and my other char is Human...I just didn't find Beasts to be all that appealing to me. I'm not saying they suck or anything, they are just not my style. As for the whole EVP/DFP thing, I think it's a bit of a tradeoff. In a situation where enemy attacks are actually dangerous, I don't mind evading them all that much. Sure, it can cut off my PA, which is annoying, but on the other hand I just shrugged off a potentially large chunk of damage. I'm ok with that. Mainly it's when the attack is really no threat to me that it irritating...if the damage is gonna be low, I'd rather just eat it and still do my PA. But still, not a big deal to to me.
Oh, and Shiroryuu:

Anyone who says EVP is bad for Fortefighters needs to be smacked across the head. I hate it when people complain about that.
Well, that's your opinion. Others feel differently.

Also, DFP, something else that CASTs win at is pretty much worthless.
That's also your opinion, and again others feel differently. You kind of bash those who feel that EVP is worthless, yet go on to state with certainty that DFP "is pretty much worthless." I personally think having high DFP on my fF is a really good thing. All I'm saying is try to remember that ALL of this is just a matter of preference.