PDA

View Full Version : AoI Human and Newman question

Jaspaller
Jul 19, 2007, 01:08 PM
I've been hearing things about some new ability that Humans and Newmans are going to get. Can't seem to find much in search. Since Cast and Beast had SUV's and Nanoblasts they were going to give Humans and newmans something.

From what I heard Humans will get something called Rage, or berserk, and newmans can do a summon of some sort. Has there been any OFFICIAL information on this and what the abilities are called or do?

Miyoko
Jul 19, 2007, 01:11 PM
... Pretty sure that's -all lies-.

Humans / Newmans ability to cast techs is their "SUV" / Nanoblast, really.

Nani-chan
Jul 19, 2007, 01:12 PM
No, these are silly ideas by jealous people who think Nano/Suv is overpowering and want something flashy too.

Nayla
Jul 19, 2007, 01:15 PM
I have heard these rumors as well... I'd really like the idea of Humans and Newmans getting special abilities.

Still, AFAIK there's been no official word on any of it.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 19, 2007, 01:40 PM
On 2007-07-19 11:11, Miyoko wrote:
... Pretty sure that's -all lies-.

Humans / Newmans ability to cast techs is their "SUV" / Nanoblast, really.

Too bad they can't use them for all classes. But yeah, if this is so, then its a good thing that Wartecher gets lv 30 attack techs and the worst support while Acrotecher lost its lv 50 support while keeping its lv 30, making both of these classes based on offensive magic. Some are pissed about it, but most of those are Beasts and CASTs [the ability races] who want to support w/ those classes.

Either way, CASTs and Beasts get those abilities probably because they're really bad as Force, unlike Newmans who can do reasonably well as Hunters, and everything else, they just happen to be the least good at some jobs, but not horrible at them.

Para
Jul 19, 2007, 01:41 PM
the lv 30 attack techs really benefits newmans who are wartechers imo.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 19, 2007, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I'm very happy about them getting those lv 30 attack techs and keeping their support at 20. And about the Newmans and Humans getting an ability, as long as there are more classes in which TP and EVP are important, and if the racial balance keeps the way it is, I personally don't think they'll need an abilty.

ThEoRy
Jul 19, 2007, 02:00 PM
in before Relic Gun!

Jaspaller
Jul 19, 2007, 02:19 PM
Well that sucks. I can still hope though lol.

Akaimizu
Jul 19, 2007, 02:23 PM
I'm also hoping that the extra levels afforded by the expansion will reveal a better job in setting things apart. It's at these levels where I figure humans wont feel grouped with Newmans cept with lesser ATA, MST and TP. Then, of course, a better balance of things that use TP will help them out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-07-19 12:29 ]</font>

Alisha
Jul 19, 2007, 02:25 PM
humans and newmans do get new abilities. it's called acrofighter and acrotecher...

Allison_W
Jul 19, 2007, 02:54 PM
In before Mikaga'd.

Also, I would like to see humans and newmans get something (beyond an edge with a few classes: beasts and CASTs have an edge with more classes than that).

Here's a suggestion: give newmans berserk. When their little blue bar fills up, let them get significantly increased attack speed for about as long as a beast's shapeshift would be active. That, and bring back actual magic as the human-only ability: when a human's little blue bar fills up, they can unleash a powerful spell effect (and because it's magic, not techs, the class doesn't matter).

Or they could just make creas a) not suck and b) give their extra target to PAs instead of just regular attacks.

Dragwind
Jul 19, 2007, 02:58 PM
On 2007-07-19 12:54, Allison_W wrote:
In before Mikaga'd.

Also, I would like to see humans and newmans get something (beyond an edge with a few classes: beasts and CASTs have an edge with more classes than that).

Here's a suggestion: give newmans berserk. When their little blue bar fills up, let them get significantly increased attack speed for about as long as a beast's shapeshift would be active. That, and bring back actual magic as the human-only ability: when a human's little blue bar fills up, they can unleash a powerful spell effect (and because it's magic, not techs, the class doesn't matter).

Or they could just make creas a) not suck and b) give their extra target to PAs instead of just regular attacks.

I semi-agree with that idea as I could see how it could be fun if balanced right, and not mess things up. However, I believe the next best thing to humans/newmans getting a "special" ability would be the high evasion working perfect for "just counter"

Garnet_Moon
Jul 19, 2007, 04:05 PM
Go back to Final Fantasy XI.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 19, 2007, 04:36 PM
How about this? Like everytime a CAST does SUV or a Beast Nanoblasts, make them either stunned or both shocked and silenced [for those who wanna be support mages] at the same time.

Nani-chan
Jul 19, 2007, 05:40 PM
On 2007-07-19 14:36, Shiroryuu wrote:
How about this? Like everytime a CAST does SUV or a Beast Nanoblasts, make them either stunned or both shocked and silenced [for those who wanna be support mages] at the same time.

No.

Stun/shock is a really dumb idea. Especially for soloers. Silence wouldn't matter.. but still was take up antimates if the beast/cast was a techer.

More beasts are switching to invincibility because they can't heal themselves during nanoblast and support forces are on the decline.

Suvs take a extra slot of armor.

Both wipe out buffs, only used once or twice a mission. (Often once since they will save for bosses or hardest room)

Really silly seeing human/newman skills with pros without seeing the cons beast/casts have. That and the human/newman over all stat bonuses and bonuses for more classes. Not as big as a atp disadvantage but human/newman tp/mst will always be at a great advantage.

Sinue_v2
Jul 19, 2007, 06:02 PM
the lv 30 attack techs really benefits newmans who are wartechers imo.

I'm dissapointed in the modifications. I'd rather have lvl 30 support techs. Newmans need the extra boost from S/D & J/Z to help make up for their lack of attack power - and their position on the front-lines make them the optimal choice for casting such buffs and debuffs. Attack Techs are generally ranged, and thus cast from a distance from combat. So it doesn't make much sence that a melee-oriented Force character would be functionally placed on the sidelines. Allowing WT's greater support capacities lessens the burden on the dedicate FO's who are free to do what they do best - pummeling melee resistant enemies with a barrage of highly damaging spells.

Also, higher attack techniques would make sense for GunTechers - since they are often already at the sidelines firing in to apply status effects. Let the WT take care of the fighters, while the GT takes care of the FOs. They have lower HP anyhow, so the crappier healing is more effective on them.

Also... Wartechers don't need level 20 bullets. What a load of shit.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jul 19, 2007, 06:30 PM
On 2007-07-19 16:02, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Also... Wartechers don't need level 20 bullets. What a load of shit.

I agree on the support issue, but level 20 bullets will make cards and bows all the more useful on things like Jarbas, Tengohgs, and other melee-resistant enemies.

Sinue_v2
Jul 19, 2007, 07:04 PM
True for a more solo-situation, but in their role in a functional and diverse party, they're not really needed since GT's and FG's are going to far out-class them in terms of status effects, not to mention will be able to apply such effects with far greater prejudice since they are less multi-functional and more dedicate to exactly that task.

Kent
Jul 19, 2007, 07:17 PM
Cards hurt. Cards with an extra projectile hurt more.

Longbows and Cards with higher percentages hurt more... And, gasp, there are instances where using ranged, projectile weapons, instead of melee attacks or attack techniques, is more practical.

While I would've liked to see better support techniques added to Wartecher... You gotta differentiate them from Acrotecher.

HaydenX
Jul 19, 2007, 07:29 PM
Here I was thinking that this thread was about a sp. ability for humans and newmans.../jk

You know the saying about opinions...well, I have an idea too.

How about humans having a little blue bar that charges, and when they release it, it's like casting megistar lvl. 21, but without the damage. Humans are good as hybrid classes and would thusly benefit most from having EVERYTHING buffed.

Newmans could have like a "spell fury" kind of thing that would make them immune to SE of all kinds for 3 minutes. They could keep casting (or ugh...fighting) without worrying about being frozen or incapacitated by megid, etc.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 19, 2007, 07:33 PM
Oh wait, I got it now, how about the Relic gun? That'll be so awesome for Newmans.

Sinue_v2
Jul 19, 2007, 07:49 PM
While I would've liked to see better support techniques added to Wartecher... You gotta differentiate them from Acrotecher.

Isn't the difference between Acrotecher and Wartecher already that an AT can't melee as effectively, and that AT's cast faster? Seems a pretty big enough difference to me considering the similarities between some of the other classes. Also, WT's get weapon PA's to 30, whereas AT I believe only gets them to 20. So what if they both get lvl-30 support techs, AT's and FT's both get level 30 support techs too right?

WT's have higher HP, ATP, DFP - critical to close combat. AT's get higher ATA, EVP, MST, TP, etc. That seems to suggest a more strike and retreat style character that can run into a mob, cast support, attack a bit, and then back out. Whereas WT's are built to stick it out on the frontlines.

Even if AT can make WT redundant - the same argument can be made for most any similar classes in the game, and it's largely dependent on the skill of the player and the party composition.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-07-19 17:49 ]</font>

Serephim
Jul 19, 2007, 07:53 PM
On 2007-07-19 11:08, Jaspaller wrote:
I've been hearing things about some new ability that Humans and Newmans are going to get. Can't seem to find much in search. Since Cast and Beast had SUV's and Nanoblasts they were going to give Humans and newmans something.

From what I heard Humans will get something called Rage, or berserk, and newmans can do a summon of some sort. Has there been any OFFICIAL information on this and what the abilities are called or do?

And for the 125,437,281,764,981,579,343,534,659,435,791th fucking time, no.

If its not in one of the AoI threads, then that means we dont know about it, which means it probably isnt true.

Soukosa
Jul 19, 2007, 08:06 PM
I'm dissapointed in the modifications. I'd rather have lvl 30 support techs. Newmans need the extra boost from S/D & J/Z to help make up for their lack of attack power

If you're so bugged by lack of ATP than why are you using a newman? So what, you wanted boosted ATP on the race that already has strong TP if you bothered to use it?

- and their position on the front-lines make them the optimal choice for casting such buffs and debuffs.

You shouldn't be needing to cast buffs while in combat though, at least that badly.

Attack Techs are generally ranged, and thus cast from a distance from combat. So it doesn't make much sence that a melee-oriented Force character would be functionally placed on the sidelines.

Oh really, gi techs are ranged? I thought they required you to be near the targets >.> Just because they're ranged doesn't mean you have to use them at a range either. Look at shotguns for instance, most common use for them is point blanking.

Also, higher attack techniques would make sense for GunTechers - since they are often already at the sidelines firing in to apply status effects. Let the WT take care of the fighters, while the GT takes care of the FOs. They have lower HP anyhow, so the crappier healing is more effective on them.

GTs have little use for stronger offensive techs since they already have strong ranged abilities. The only case where they're needed is for stuff that's ranged resistant but even, they have DoTs or other party memebers.

They're also rather suited for moving around in battle. Ever notice that 4 of their 5 S grade weapons allow for straifing? Three of those are even one handed so they can equip a wand with it for support techs.

WT was never meant to be a strong support class and most likely never will. They have the 2nd highest HP, the 3rd highest DFP, and some of the highest EVP come AoI. Giving such a class stronger buffs would be broken beyond belief. They're a front lines attacker using melee and techs. The lv 20 support techs is only because they didn't split up the tech types in this version and they aren't gonna remove abilities that the classes already have in AoI.

Besides, it's much easier to support decently when you aren't using attacks that are reliant on combos. Attacking with guns and techs that are comboless means you won't be tied up by anything to cast Resta to save your member's butt from dying (just another reason why AT shouldn't be looked at being a pure support class).

Sure, having WT be able to support will help relieve those that are concentrating alot on it, but you don't need higher support techs to do that. This falls into why WT isn't very likely to get any more higher grade weapons. Simply because they're so versatile that making them any stronger outside of the needed buffs (like to TP) would make them broken.

Allison_W
Jul 19, 2007, 08:13 PM
On 2007-07-19 18:06, Sounomi wrote:

I'm dissapointed in the modifications. I'd rather have lvl 30 support techs. Newmans need the extra boost from S/D & J/Z to help make up for their lack of attack power

If you're so bugged by lack of ATP than why are you using a newman? So what, you wanted boosted ATP on the race that already has strong TP if you bothered to use it?

- and their position on the front-lines make them the optimal choice for casting such buffs and debuffs.

You shouldn't be needing to cast buffs while in combat though, at least that badly.

Attack Techs are generally ranged, and thus cast from a distance from combat. So it doesn't make much sence that a melee-oriented Force character would be functionally placed on the sidelines.

Oh really, gi techs are ranged? I thought they required you to be near the targets >.> Just because they're ranged doesn't mean you have to use them at a range either. Look at shotguns for instance, most common use for them is point blanking.

GTs have little use for stronger offensive techs since they already have strong ranged abilities. The only case where they're needed is for stuff that's ranged resistant but even, they have DoTs or other party memebers.

They're also rather suited for moving around in battle. Ever notice that 4 of their 5 S grade weapons allow for straifing? Three of those are even one handed so they can equip a wand with it for support techs.

WT was never meant to be a strong support class and most likely never will. They have the 2nd highest HP, the 3rd highest DFP, and some of the highest EVP come AoI. Giving such a class stronger buffs would be broken beyond belief. They're a front lines attacker using melee and techs. The lv 20 support techs is only because they didn't split up the tech types in this version and they aren't gonna remove abilities that the classes already have in AoI.

Besides, it's much easier to support decently when you aren't using attacks that are reliant on combos. Attacking with guns and techs that are comboless means you won't be tied up by anything to cast Resta to save your member's butt from dying (just another reason why AT shouldn't be looked at being a pure support class).

Sure, having WT be able to support will help relieve those that are concentrating alot on it, but you don't need higher support techs to do that. This falls into why WT isn't very likely to get any more higher grade weapons. Simply because they're so versatile that making them any stronger outside of the needed buffs (like to TP) would make them broken.

Actually, no, they could stand to have more higher-grade weapons. They already pay dearly for their versatility in stats and PA level caps.

Gryffin
Jul 19, 2007, 08:15 PM
Mainly, I don't CARE how good it is, but I want an ability for humans and newmans that they can use when they shiny bar fills up..... I like pretty things. Lol.

Humans

-Spirit animals-
When the bar fills up, the human can summon an animal to fight alongside them. They would do minor damage, but at the end of their bar, fire a large, stronger attack, different for each animal.

OR

-Pandora-
When the bar fills up, the human can activate an invention. The invention would be summoned onto the field by the player, and there it would activate one of it's 3 power. This invention is MADE by the player, from a choice of pieces, and equipped in the extra slot. There are 3 invention-classes, each with three random effects.

Melee inventions-
-The invention emits a nova, buffing everyone in the parties attack for 3 minutes, and giving their weapons an auto-defense lowering feature on enemies.
-The invention rushes, whirls, glides, or runs to enemies for 30 seconds, dealing damage in correspondence to the players level.
-The invention attacks a single enemy for massive damage, dealt in rapid hits of minor damage. Each hit heals 1/4 of the damage done to the player, for a minimum of 1 per hit.

Ranged inventions-
-The invention whirls rapidly, firing homing card bullets, a total of 25. The damge isn't TOO big, but they are guaranteed hits.
- The invention whirls rapidly, firing grenade launcher bullets, a total of 10. The damage is MASSIVE, but enemies need to be within the blast radius of the rounds, which is decreased in size.
-The invention emits a laser cannon-like nova, medium-to-small damage, moderately large radius, and 30% chance of burning, freezing, or confusing enemies hit by it. All players in the radius have their accuracy and evasion increased.

Magic inventions-
- The invention turns into dust and scatters, all party members are fully healed, and have their defense increased.
- The invention duplicates itself 4 times, so a total of 5 on the field. Each one casts a random max level spell on the nearest enemy. (The invention has 50 TP on it's own, so it isn't TOO overpowered)
- One enemy is forced to explode, dealing it's remaining health and elemental status to enemies nearby.

Newman-

I only got one for these guys, and it's a bit simple.

-Elemental Summon-
The player chosen element is controlled by the newman. When using this ability, an elemental creature emits from the Newman, and soars around attack enemies, if all enemies are killed, it follows the newman, healing it like an HP restore, and any other Teamates nearby. Lasts about as long as a nanoblast. The damage dealt is based on player level, so no class can complain.

On another note.....

meow.

Niered
Jul 19, 2007, 08:42 PM
Seeing this reminds me that we havent seen a good ol' fashioned PvP topic in...a week? What is that, a new record? Do we, as a collective, get a cookie or a medal or something? I think we deserve it.

Zorafim
Jul 19, 2007, 08:47 PM
I hate how people assume that the races in PSU are the same races in other RPGs.

On 2007-07-19 18:15, Gryffin wrote:
Mainly, I don't CARE how good it is, but I want an ability for humans and newmans that they can use when they shiny bar fills up..... I like pretty things. Lol.

Humans

-Spirit animals-
When the bar fills up, the human can summon an animal to fight alongside them. They would do minor damage, but at the end of their bar, fire a large, stronger attack, different for each animal.

OR

-Pandora-
When the bar fills up, the human can activate an invention. The invention would be summoned onto the field by the player, and there it would activate one of it's 3 power. This invention is MADE by the player, from a choice of pieces, and equipped in the extra slot. There are 3 invention-classes, each with three random effects.

Melee inventions-
-The invention emits a nova, buffing everyone in the parties attack for 3 minutes, and giving their weapons an auto-defense lowering feature on enemies.
-The invention rushes, whirls, glides, or runs to enemies for 30 seconds, dealing damage in correspondence to the players level.
-The invention attacks a single enemy for massive damage, dealt in rapid hits of minor damage. Each hit heals 1/4 of the damage done to the player, for a minimum of 1 per hit.

Ranged inventions-
-The invention whirls rapidly, firing homing card bullets, a total of 25. The damge isn't TOO big, but they are guaranteed hits.
- The invention whirls rapidly, firing grenade launcher bullets, a total of 10. The damage is MASSIVE, but enemies need to be within the blast radius of the rounds, which is decreased in size.
-The invention emits a laser cannon-like nova, medium-to-small damage, moderately large radius, and 30% chance of burning, freezing, or confusing enemies hit by it. All players in the radius have their accuracy and evasion increased.

Magic inventions-
- The invention turns into dust and scatters, all party members are fully healed, and have their defense increased.
- The invention duplicates itself 4 times, so a total of 5 on the field. Each one casts a random max level spell on the nearest enemy. (The invention has 50 TP on it's own, so it isn't TOO overpowered)
- One enemy is forced to explode, dealing it's remaining health and elemental status to enemies nearby.

Newman-

I only got one for these guys, and it's a bit simple.

-Elemental Summon-
The player chosen element is controlled by the newman. When using this ability, an elemental creature emits from the Newman, and soars around attack enemies, if all enemies are killed, it follows the newman, healing it like an HP restore, and any other Teamates nearby. Lasts about as long as a nanoblast. The damage dealt is based on player level, so no class can complain.

On another note.....

meow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-07-19 18:47 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Jul 19, 2007, 09:14 PM

Don't draw conclusions like that. I never said I was bothered by a lower ATP. As a melee FOnewearl on PSO, I'm used to the concept of never being able to compete with HU's and RA's in pure damage output. However, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like an ATP boost - which of course, wouldn't decrease in the least the difference in damage I do compaired to a ForteFighter.

Unless you're trying to make the assumption that I'm some kind of asshole who runs out of range so that I can buff only myself to make myself more on par with the other front-line fighters.

Buffs often run out in the middle of combat, and as a support minded WT - I make it my job to make sure my party is healed, buffed, and primed for combat. Even if this means I do need to sit out some more intense combat situations and dedicate myself purely to support. I have the HP, DEF, and EVP to be in a position that most ForteTechers would find too dangerous... and as a Newman, my MST and TP helps in this endevour a great deal.

So if you want to party with a shitty WT who just spams attack techs and weapon combos, be my guest. That's not how I want to play, and not how I want other WT's to play in my parties when I am using an alt.

Oh really, gi techs are ranged?

Reading comprehension. I said "generally", not "all". There is a difference between those terms, you realize. More to the point, the vast majority of attack techniques in PSU are ranged.

Look at shotguns for instance, most common use for them is point blanking.

That's one example out of a plethora of guns that largely don't reward "point blanking". Crossbows of a sufficient level, are another example. This is because these weapons hit several times, and point blanking allows you to concentrate your fire for increased damage and chance of status effect. However hardly any techs reward such "point blanking", aside from perhaps a slightly increased casting speed (which may just be perceived on my part).

Giving such a class stronger buffs would be broken beyond belief.

This is particular doesn't make much sense, since I can't see how it would make the class broken - especially at the cost of bullet levels and attack techs capped at 20. So they can self-buff and buff the party more efficiently? How is it any different than having a dedicated FO or a AT in the party, who also cast support at lvl 30. It does though, make them more vercetile and needed within a party. There's a certain thread on the front page which shows a lot of hate for WT's as it is because of their reduced functionality in a party with a dedicated FO and HU classes. Whereas, GT's don't have that problem generally since GT's get bullets at the same level as FG's, and there's always demand for more status effects.

Attacking with guns and techs that are comboless means you won't be tied up by anything to cast Resta to save your member's butt from dying

True, but a good WT doesn't get themselves involved in long combos in particularly difficult areas. Combos only take a second or two to pull off - and if you're that concerned with split-second resta casting saves, you should be insisting that Sega find a way to reduce weapon lag and tech unloading. Even GT's aren't immune to this.

Also, GT's array of strafe-able weapons isn't so that they can cast support techs well. It's so they can more efficiently spread status effects. Trying to make the argument that WT's aren't a support oriented class is double edged argument, as neither are GT's - and thus, what really justifies their support technique increase?

Sure, having WT be able to support will help relieve those that are concentrating alot on it, but you don't need higher support techs to do that.

Although, WT is more suited that particular part of aid. So it doesn't make sense to give increased support techniques to a class that primarily finds itself on the sidelines, while giving attack techniques to a close-quarters melee fighter.

And that argument could be applied to really any class of character that is recieveing upgrades in the expansion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-07-19 19:22 ]</font>

Wallin
Jul 19, 2007, 09:25 PM

Bah, the solution to balance isn't to nerf the things that do work (and at the same time piss off a boat load of players), it's to raise the abilities of the things that don't. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Gryffin
Jul 19, 2007, 09:33 PM
On 2007-07-19 18:47, Zorafim wrote:
I hate how people assume that the races in PSU are the same races in other RPGs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-07-19 18:47 ]</font>

Wait, this was directed to me?

Explain a little further, I feel kinda slow... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Sinue_v2
Jul 19, 2007, 09:55 PM
Phantasy Star existed long before PSO and PSU. There are some people who would have rather seen the existing mythos creatively expanded upon, rather than turning completely on it's fucking head.

I.E. We'd rather not see summoners, dragoons, shamans, paladins, etc pulling Phantasy Star even further away from it's base. It's bad enough that they turned Numen into magical space-elf pussies. It's hardly even recognisable as Phantasy Star anymore.

If you want Orcs and Summoners - go play WoW or FFXI.

Zorafim
Jul 19, 2007, 10:06 PM
It's funny how they go about and change newmen into space elves, then go and make beasts, which are practically the same exact thing they just threw away, only hulkier.
But yes, Sinue made my point perfectly. Probably because he's sat through so many of my rants.

Lyrix
Jul 19, 2007, 10:14 PM
youve got to remember that there are also a lot of people that have never really played the early games, including me and gryff, those magical space elf pussies are what weve grown to love.

Zorafim
Jul 19, 2007, 10:21 PM
What you love, and what exists, can be two different things. Newman's histories are built on being half-demons; inhuman creatures with pure hearts. Though they've evolved into something else entirely, their basis is still there. And it's still cooler than what we have now.

Sinue_v2
Jul 19, 2007, 10:27 PM
Probably because he's sat through so many of my rants.

No, because I've made them as well.

youve got to remember that there are also a lot of people that have never really played the early games, including me and gryff, those magical space elf pussies are what weve grown to love.

Theeeen.... tough shit? I mean really, I only started getting into the Elder Scrolls series with Morrowind. The only Dark Elves I'd known up till that point came from Menzzoberranzan. If I were to go into an Elder Scrolls forum and beg Bethesda for a bunch of Drizzit Do'Urden gear, and for more Drow correlations to their Dunmer - well, I'd get flamed to say the very LEAST.

It's not all your fault, I know, because Sonic Team has initiated some of these changes. It's part of the reason why I want the series taken well the fuck out of their hands and returned to those who actually crafted the Phantasy Star mythos, and who will treat it respectfully.

Gryffin
Jul 19, 2007, 10:32 PM
On 2007-07-19 20:14, Lyrix wrote:

Remember when I owned Collections?

Remember when I sold it because I kept dying? XD

*goes to play ROM, maybe*

On 2007-07-19 20:21, Zorafim wrote:
What you love, and what exists, can be two different things. Newman's histories are built on being half-demons; inhuman creatures with pure hearts. Though they've evolved into something else entirely, their basis is still there. And it's still cooler than what we have now.

Yes, and I agree. I'd like to see another race that would be a mage. But being as we don't have that currently, I used what is currently designated as such. (Even though I dislike it, as I'm betting Zorafim does too.)

On 2007-07-19 19:55, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Phantasy Star existed long before PSO and PSU. There are some people who would have rather seen the existing mythos creatively expanded upon, rather than turning completely on it's fucking head.

I.E. We'd rather not see summoners, dragoons, shamans, paladins, etc pulling Phantasy Star even further away from it's base. It's bad enough that they turned Numen into magical space-elf pussies. It's hardly even recognisable as Phantasy Star anymore.

If you want Orcs and Summoners - go play WoW or FFXI.

I just got out of the hellhole, thank you. And I know that there we're previous games, I never got to far in them. I know a very little amount, and I am judging this alot on how the stats we're allotted in PSU and PSO. Sorry...

Mainly, although people wish that Newmans could be the original, cooler thing they were, I doubt they're going to do it.

I mean, alot of people made their Newmans FOR maging, and if a new class was introduced, and better at it, then what would they do?

I mean, It would be nice, but I just can't see it happening.

Sorry if my wishes offended anyone. x_x

Sinue_v2
Jul 19, 2007, 10:47 PM
I don't think it's possible to return further inward to the base anymore in this version - and we're not advocating that Newmen return to being bio-soldiers in PSU. You're right in that people have already made their Newman characters for teching (not all of them though) and you can't change that. However it would be nice if they would stop spiraling the destruction of all that built Phantasy Star INTO Phantasy Star in the first place. This includes not adopting the mythos of "Other Popular Online RPGs" and relying more on building what they have already established.

At least, this is the way it is until the next Phantasy Star game where (hopefully) they allow they allow the series to mature more as a Phantasy Star title - rather than some random new online RPG with a little bit of PS makeup and the PS name emblazened on it.

Sorry if it appears as though we're snapping at you, personally, but it's a touchy subject.

Gryffin
Jul 19, 2007, 11:00 PM
On 2007-07-19 20:47, Sinue_v2 wrote:
I don't think it's possible to return further inward to the base anymore in this version - and we're not advocating that Newmen return to being bio-soldiers in PSU. You're right in that people have already made their Newman characters for teching (not all of them though) and you can't change that. However it would be nice if they would stop spiraling the destruction of all that built Phantasy Star INTO Phantasy Star in the first place. This includes not adopting the mythos of "Other Popular Online RPGs" and relying more on building what they have already established.

At least, this is the way it is until the next Phantasy Star game where (hopefully) they allow they allow the series to mature more as a Phantasy Star title - rather than some random new online RPG with a little bit of PS makeup and the PS name emblazened on it.

Sorry if it appears as though we're snapping at you, personally, but it's a touchy subject.

I understand. There are a few things I get a bit defensive over http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Then, in your opinion, what WOULD be a good attack? The only thing is... Beasts... >_>

Maybe an Attack/Casting speed bonus, all the time? And then when the bar fills up...!!!

A duplication? Like, 2 CPU controlled "you's" run around and kill things using the random weps from your pallette?

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Lyrix
Jul 19, 2007, 11:18 PM
wait a second, people complain when people want PSO in PSU, but no one complains when they whine about PS? HYPOCRISY!

Sinue_v2
Jul 19, 2007, 11:19 PM
Me? Well I wouldn't assign beasts or newmen any special abilities. The SUV's and Nanos aren't exactly unbalanced in the game, although it appears so since there isn't a direct counter for Humans and Newmans. It's mostly made up for in stats and vercitility.

What would have been cool for Humans (should they have chosen to put in a Human special ability), would be Megid. Not the purple fart-ball of death, but the classic Megid which lit the screen up with explosions and shook the ground violently causing massive damage to the enemies. Of course, this would also come at the cost of most of the user's HP, or the parties HP, and perhaps added status effects.

http://dl.img.qj.net/uploads/files_module/screenshots/10403_Golden%20Axe.PNG
(Visual Representation of what Megid might look like in this form in PSU)

Although since Megid is not just a technique, but an entire series of attacks in PSU - there's little hope left for that now.

As for a Numan special attack? That's a bit trickier. A beserk attack might actually work quite well if they were the classic iteration of Numen. However in the context of PSU, it might take the form of something like Sak or NaSak that expelled great amounts of Technique power (multiple different elements, highly damaging, rather than healing) at the cost of the caster's own life. With the possibility that they might not be able to be revived for a set period of time.

Both "blasts" would be countered against the SUV's and Nano's in that while they are more powerful - they have serious repercussions.

wait a second, people complain when people want PSO in PSU, but no one complains when they whine about PS?

Two things...

1. They do. "People" is not a singular term, and we do not have a hive mind. There are multiple differing opinions on the matter, and the fact is that not all of them are reading the thread - or find it worth their time to comment.

2. Most people wouldn't give half a shit about PSO implimentations into PSU if they would also spread the love a little bit and incorperate more Phantasy Star into their - well, their Phantasy Star games.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-07-19 21:23 ]</font>

Zorafim
Jul 19, 2007, 11:43 PM
I thought megid looked a bit more like this.

http://rhysy.plexersoft.com/Explosion%20test%202e.jpg

And I agree with a berserk "nanoblast" for newmen. Faster attacks and movement, boosted ata and evp. Either that or Disrupt.

Sinue_v2
Jul 19, 2007, 11:45 PM
Yeah, well.. as the theme song says, "We're here to save this world" - not obliterate it with an epic explosion of concentrated hatred and violence. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Siege
Jul 19, 2007, 11:47 PM
WT will always be the most complained about class it seems. It's obvious that they're gonna play differently on AOI than they do now. Use a different class or get over it...

Lyrix
Jul 20, 2007, 12:47 AM
On 2007-07-19 21:43, Zorafim wrote:

And I agree with a berserk "nanoblast" for newmen. Faster attacks and movement, boosted ata and evp. Either that or Disrupt.

...now i want that XD

Gryffin
Jul 20, 2007, 12:52 AM
On 2007-07-19 22:47, Lyrix wrote:

...now i want that XD

Needs more purple. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Isabella
Jul 20, 2007, 02:39 AM
I want to turn into a vampire : B
and like stab things withmy teeth :3
Newman*

Allison_W
Jul 20, 2007, 02:47 AM

See, I knew you were all right, numanfishPSfanboy.

Also, I want that spell for my h00man.

Alisha
Jul 20, 2007, 03:06 AM

so you want to give newmen the yellow nanoblast? >_>

Allison_W
Jul 20, 2007, 03:09 AM
On 2007-07-20 01:06, Alisha wrote:

so you want to give newmen the yellow nanoblast? >_>

Kind of, except Zeed Val doesn't actually increase speed--just ATA and EVP.

Of course, if I recall correctly, ST intends to make some tweaks to existing beast forms come AoI, so Zeed Val might see an attack speed increase. But in any case, I thought it would be an addition that's in keeping with the numan tradition.

Even if newmans are space elves, not numans at all.

Isabella
Jul 20, 2007, 03:09 AM
^ yea but turn us into vampires > : D

Allison_W
Jul 20, 2007, 03:10 AM
On 2007-07-20 01:09, Isabella wrote:

GO BACK TO WODEE EMO GIRL

Isabella
Jul 20, 2007, 03:11 AM
;;
/wrost lol.....

Alisha
Jul 20, 2007, 03:15 AM
On 2007-07-20 01:10, Allison_W wrote:

but vampires pwn! you get the power to smite men without giving up your girlish figure!

morrow
Jul 20, 2007, 03:15 AM
On 2007-07-19 11:08, Jaspaller wrote:

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif LOL this rumor waz all made up as an Idea of sorts by my friend Buffy, there is a Thread on here somewhere about it! but if we all mail sega about this maybe they'll put it in! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif

Isabella
Jul 20, 2007, 03:19 AM
On 2007-07-20 01:15, Alisha wrote:

On 2007-07-20 01:10, Allison_W wrote:

but vampires pwn! you get the power to smite men without giving up your girlish figure!

<3 LEt's put allison to the stake http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Lyrix
Jul 20, 2007, 03:24 AM
burn the heretic?

Saito S
Jul 20, 2007, 03:28 AM
On 2007-07-20 00:47, Allison_W wrote:

See, I knew you were all right, numanfishPSfanboy.

Also, I want that spell for my h00man.

Whoa! I bet THAT Megid would slow a Svaltus down pretty effectively, yes indeed...
HOOman? Ferengi much? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

As for PSO vs PSU vs PS... I never really played the old PS games, but I try to respect the history behind them, and of course the fact that without those games, there would be no PSO or PSU. BUT...having said that: PSO is the first game with the words "Phantasy Star" in the title that I ever got really into. So while I respect the old games, it's hard in a way for me to get behind some of the arguments you make. Newmans (Numans?) as "bio-soldiers?" That just weirds me out...lol So while I understand what you are saying, would I be happy if the current incarnation of the PSO/PSU series were (as you put it Sinue_v2) put into the hands of those who would essentially make it into somthing more like the old games? Honestly...no. Because then it would likely be very different from what either PSO or PSU is.
And yet, if this discussion were about a game series that I was really into and had followed since the beginning...I would probably be right there with you. I can certainly see why it's a "touchy subject"... I'm a big-time geeky Trekker, and this was pretty much my reaction to all the ways that Enterprise wrecked the continuity of the other shows' backstory. And I had conversations a lot like this thread with people who were never Star Trek fans but liked Enterprise by itself...it was hard to accept that in a way.
What was the point of this post? I'm not sure, really... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I just thought this discussion was interesting and wanted to offer my perspective.

Isabella
Jul 20, 2007, 03:31 AM
On 2007-07-20 01:24, Lyrix wrote:
burn the heretic?

> : D unhuh

Shou
Jul 20, 2007, 03:32 AM

OMG not to be rude but that is one of the....... *thinks of a better way to say it* ... You are joking right?

Sinue_v2
Jul 20, 2007, 04:26 AM
Newmans (Numans?) as "bio-soldiers?" That just weirds me out...lol

If by weirded out, you mean - completely fucking awesome idea, then I agree. As evident by this picture of Nei (in a beserker rage)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Sinue/Claws.jpg

would I be happy if the current incarnation of the PSO/PSU series were (as you put it Sinue_v2) put into the hands of those who would essentially make it into somthing more like the old games?

I'm not advocating the return to a turn-based singleplayer offline RPG. (although I would be perfectly happy with that as well). In fact, I've often said the optimal development for any future Phantasy Star release would be to have Overworks (Rieko and Tohru) do the storyline, graphics design, and directing. Sonic Team (under Yuji Naka) would be best suited for the gameplay mechanics and online features. And then, having a third (competent) party handle online security... such as, apperantly, Microsoft is able to do - though not necessarily MS. I dunno who would do the music.

I understand where you're comming from, and this I think is a problem that Sonic Team have gotten themselves into. PS wasn't really supposed to continue after End of the Millennium. The PS image had been established solidly for nearly ten years. It was one of Sega's staple series. So when news of a new, and online, Phantasy Star arose, much of the fanbase was frothing at the mouth in anticipation. For most of them, they were severely dissapointed. Although they liked PSO, it wasn't Phantasy Star to them. Now, five years later - we have a similar situation. PSU is released, and the newer fanbase of PSO is severely dissapointed in the radical departure from what they've come to expect out of the Phantasy Star series. Meanwhile you still have some of the original fanbase left who are further tormented and just left competely hung out to dry by the even more radical departure from base that PSU has brought us.

Remember that Penny Arcade comic from around 2004, I think, where Gabe and Tycho were discussing Sega. They said Sega are no long game developers.. they are terrorists. They drag out icons of beloved franchises, draped in rags, and humiliate them. This is exactly the type of situation they were referring to - so it's not just Phantasy Star fans who have felt the sting. All the cheesy little PS reference in PSU's storyline didn't add to the growing mythos - it mocked it, ridiculed them. Even if the actual storylines weren't as fleshed out - even a cursory glance over the plots and scripts of the original series, I think most people would agree that they were better than what we're getting now. Certainly better than the convoluted debacle of PSO Ep III's storyline, and much better than PSU's storyline. How could anyone honestly compair Rolf & party's sacrifices at the end of PSII to anything we've been presented with in PSU thus far? Or Nei's sacrifice, which IS referenced, but completely shit upon by having no significant meaning either on it's own or in contrast to the original event?

Sonic Team has lost sight of what makes a Phantasy Star game - well, Phantasy Star. And should it ever return to it's base, yeah, some people are going to be upset because it's not what they were used to.

What Sega really needs to do is to find some way to bring the fanbase back together under a single banner. Weither or not they're up to this task, I'm not sure. Perhaps it would be easiest, at this point, to just seperate the online and offline games from one another and persue development of two seperate RPG series bering the same name.

Isabella
Jul 20, 2007, 04:28 AM
or Vampires : D

Zorafim
Jul 20, 2007, 04:30 AM
Random necessary picture of Nei.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/Zorafin/0427.jpg

Sinue_v2
Jul 20, 2007, 04:33 AM
And that is why I melee with my Newman Wartecher.

Isabella
Jul 20, 2007, 04:33 AM
._.
Like that only more Vampish
with teeth : D

Zorafim
Jul 20, 2007, 04:40 AM
**** your teeth, that ***** got claws. None of these pansy three inch neck pierces, those things can go through metal! Can your teeth go through metal?

Esufer
Jul 20, 2007, 07:09 AM
On 2007-07-19 14:05, Garnet_Moon wrote:
Go back to Final Fantasy XI.

Kay :]

Mystil
Jul 20, 2007, 07:14 AM
Which in many ways is better than this 5 year younger PSU. I feel for you though. . . low level in FFXI is even more harsh than it is in PSU -.-.

fumatanera
Jul 20, 2007, 07:41 AM
i would much rather be able to cast techs than have a shitty SUV or nanoblast.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 20, 2007, 07:48 AM
Vampires are totally badass, they can live for years without looking a day over their 20's, and they don't even grow that annoying facial hair [except maybe Slayer from Guilty Gear, he's an exception from what I've seen so far].

Zorafim
Jul 20, 2007, 08:17 AM
Once I see a vampire preform Disrupt, then I'll start thinking more of them.