PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Lag Problem SOLVED!!!!!! AT LAST VICTORY IS MINE!!! >8D

Yunfa
Jul 21, 2007, 03:50 PM
Ok I have been playing PSU since it came out in the States, and there was something that always bugged me, but i delt w/ it, and that is LAG!!!
The feeling of not able to heal ur party members while ur panels are loading is just UNBEARABLE!!!

At 1st i blamed THIS
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p265/Finaldrawer/Linkys.jpg

But eventually i took the liberty of moving my PS2 from my room to my dad's computer room for a direct link up, and to my shock and disappointment the gameplay stayed the same.

A few months later...

[Yun has obtained Playstation 3]

A week ago i posted here regarding to me watching my friend's PSU on 360 in action, and how it was so much smoother than PS2. My hopes was crushed as one of the replies stated that if i were to play PSU on the PS3 it would have the same results something something about how its far as Sony will get.

[TODAY]
It took me forever but, i moved my PS2 and all its accessories downstairs into the living room where my PS3 was. Hooked everything up and plugged the Linkys wireless into my PS3 and turned on the game w/ my fingers crossed. (Reason why i moved my PS2 also was becus when i bought the Memory Card adaptor i also bought DDR, and playing upstairs will cause the house to shake.)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p265/Finaldrawer/PS3PS2.jpg

Logged into the game, appeared in Parum East District, moved into Universe 2, characters immediatly appeared, joined a game, character appeared instantly, and within ONE SECOND my techs were available instead of on the dam ps2 it would've taken more than 5 seconds. Finished the run w/out ANY lag, and i got the "smooth" gameplay feeling.

Result: "PSU RUNS DAM WELL ON THE PS3!!!"
So now both my PS3 and my PS2 are stationed downstairs.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p265/Finaldrawer/70TV.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p265/Finaldrawer/Overview.jpg
NO MORE LAG!!! IM SOOOO HAPPY >:D
Rest in Peace my PS2, the 6 years we shared will always be in my heart.

Take that 360! (even tho i own one) >:P

Shou
Jul 21, 2007, 03:52 PM
my friend has the ps3 he says it makes no difference and i have seen it for my self ..... he regrets buying it, even if it was for FF13 ; ;

Aka
Jul 21, 2007, 03:54 PM
That's one big ass TV. I'm jealous :E

Chuck_Norris
Jul 21, 2007, 03:54 PM
That is one freaking big TV O_O

Yunfa
Jul 21, 2007, 03:55 PM
LIES!!! (Maybe its his internet connection.) After all the grinding ive done the difference is just that much, my eyes arent playing tricks!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gifPP

Sychosis
Jul 21, 2007, 03:55 PM
On 2007-07-21 13:54, chuck_norris wrote:
That is one freaking big TV O_O

And still in standard definition, ewww.

Shou
Jul 21, 2007, 03:58 PM
On 2007-07-21 13:54, Aka wrote:
That's one big ass TV. I'm jealous :E

Thats one big ass Playstation

Kion
Jul 21, 2007, 04:13 PM
I got offline mode to play off of my playstation 2 hard drive. The load screen blinks when going to new areas, compaired to flashing four times, cut scenes are loaded instantanious, and techs load in about half seconds compaired to three. Unfortunately online mode has to be played off the disk and sucks all over in terms of PS2 load times.
PS3 has alot more memory, so I'm guessing it only reads from the disk when going to a new area, as opposed to every time someone switches weapons. I'm very jelous that you don't have to deal with lag. Maybe i'll get a ps3 or upgrade my pc come AoI.

beatrixkiddo
Jul 21, 2007, 04:14 PM
maybe PS3's internet adapter works better, or maybe your PS2's inputs are dirty/malfunctioning

Dragwind
Jul 21, 2007, 04:33 PM
Yeah, it should have minimal improvement on performance. Anyhow, congrats i think?

Almighty_Envy
Jul 21, 2007, 04:34 PM
Wow i swear my ps2 must be god like....

I have hardly any lag...

The only time i had noticeable lag was during Fire Break.

Sinue_v2
Jul 21, 2007, 04:40 PM
And still in standard definition, ewww.

I concur with this statement. Even upscaled to 1280 x 1024 PSU on the PS2 still looks fugly. It's literally painful trying to go back to the PS2's standard 480i output.

malice_nyc
Jul 21, 2007, 04:47 PM
On 2007-07-21 13:52, Shou wrote:
my friend has the ps3 he says it makes no difference and i have seen it for my self ...

It made zero difference for me. I've heard other people claim it fixes a lot of problems, but the weapon/tech load times were the same as far as I could tell. I don't regret buying it, but it never made PSU more bearable... the PS2 version of the game is just bad, no matter what you play it on.

Strider_M
Jul 21, 2007, 04:49 PM
Wait.... I can change the ratio of PSU on PS2 on a Widescreen TV? How do I do that? (without skewing the proportions..)

beatrixkiddo
Jul 21, 2007, 05:04 PM
you could just zoom in with the aspect options, but that would chop off the top and bottom of your screen. there isn't widescreen support for PSU from what i understand.

TheLOLBandit
Jul 21, 2007, 05:06 PM
congratz on the lag problem and nice TV

Helly
Jul 21, 2007, 05:11 PM
I played PSU for about a week on a friends PS3 (can't wait ta get my own!) and the slowdown (bad programming) and lag ('net connection) felt exactly the same as on my PSTwo~

McLaughlin
Jul 21, 2007, 09:08 PM
All I can think of is that the PS3's network adapter functions better than the PS2's does (which seems likely). All that'd do is keep people from skipping around though. All other signs point to you being a liar. >_>

Kaloa
Jul 21, 2007, 09:30 PM
That TV is as big as my house.

Mikura
Jul 21, 2007, 09:50 PM
Congrats on the better connection! Ohh, I have a tv about that size too. See? >.>

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/Nejikun834/MiksTV.jpg

Sorry, just couldn't resist. Big screen is the only way to play games.

Yunfa
Jul 21, 2007, 10:21 PM
Haha victory for us Mikura! Mine's a 70 inch Sony w/ BOSE surround, and as to the original topic i guess all it was is PS3's better network adaptor...*sighs & shrugs*

Almighty_Envy
Jul 21, 2007, 10:28 PM
Ps2 coulda had a lens issue like dust or a power output problem.

Sha Sha
Jul 21, 2007, 10:34 PM
I have played PSU on a friends PS3 to me it didnt feel as laggy
then again my ps2 is one of the fat ones that somehow still work

BTW im on a 12' tv >< its 6ft off the floor on my closet (note the reason the picture is orange is becuz my fingure got in the way when i took the picture and its a crappy digital cam ><)
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6220/12inao7.jpg

FUFME
Jul 21, 2007, 10:57 PM
my friend has the ps3 he says it makes no difference and i have seen it for my self ..... he regrets buying it, even if it was for FF13 ; ;

I notice a huge difference with a PS3. Mostly with weapon loading. There is lag on rare occasion, but it's mostly with full parties and mostly on relic maps. Never get lag on Mad Beast or Ragan though

FUFME
Jul 21, 2007, 10:58 PM
On 2007-07-21 20:34, Tsukuyo wrote:
I have played PSU on a friends PS3 to me it didnt feel as laggy
then again my ps2 is one of the fat ones that somehow still work

BTW im on a 12' tv >< its 6ft off the floor on my closet (note the reason the picture is orange is becuz my fingure got in the way when i took the picture and its a crappy digital cam ><)
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6220/12inao7.jpg

WOW, how do u play with that thing so high up in the air?

Yunfa
Jul 21, 2007, 11:01 PM
On 2007-07-21 20:57, FUFME wrote:

I notice a huge difference with a PS3. Mostly with weapon loading. There is lag on rare occasion, but it's mostly with full parties and mostly on relic maps. Never get lag on Mad Beast or Ragan though

Yay! Someone who shared same experience! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

XanGabriel
Jul 21, 2007, 11:22 PM
On 2007-07-21 14:34, Almighty_Envy wrote:
Wow i swear my ps2 must be god like....

I have hardly any lag...

The only time i had noticeable lag was during Fire Break.

LoL Same here. Even without 'roids!

Prima
Jul 21, 2007, 11:32 PM
What necessity do your parents have that brought them into buying a tv of that size, just to kill more brain cells? Jk, omg I hate you for having that tv.

Almighty_Envy
Jul 21, 2007, 11:37 PM
My tv is bigger <_<

Wallin
Jul 21, 2007, 11:48 PM
On 2007-07-21 21:32, Prima wrote:
What necessity do your parents have that brought them into buying a tv of that size, just to kill more brain cells? Jk, omg I hate you for having that tv.

TVs don't kill brain cells, it's watching the news and trying to make sense of the world that does. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Foxix
Jul 22, 2007, 12:07 AM
Well, lets see here. If I remember correctly, and I am pretty sure I do, any American PS3 shouldn't have any difference in performance seeing how even your 600 dollar device is still using the old emotion engine and PS2 hardware. The PS3 contains a lot of the old hardware from the past two generations to render and process all the old games. And I don't think the PS3 can load anything faster off the disc than a PS2 can.

From what I have heard, foreign models from the UK actually don't have all the extra parts from the previous models and instead they emulate the games instead, like a 360. Also if I remember correctly once they kill off one of current models, Sony will be emulating everything from now on to cut back the costs of making the PS3 in the US (I could be wrong though).

In the case you don't have an American PS3 I guess it's possible that through emulation on the new hardware that PSU's performance has improved. However I don't know how it could possibly load information any faster than the PS2 already does. The only thing I can think of has already been previously stated, and that was just that the PS3 may have a better modem. But even then that should only effect how you see other players move about you and how quickly you see your damage appear on screen.

Zer0_ConvoY
Jul 22, 2007, 12:27 AM
could also be a firmware thing, most people saying there was no difference don't seem to have played recently, they could have allowed the ps2 hardware to tap into ps3 resources?

Foxix
Jul 22, 2007, 12:38 AM
On 2007-07-21 22:27, Zer0_ConvoY wrote:
could also be a firmware thing, most people saying there was no difference don't seem to have played recently, they could have allowed the ps2 hardware to tap into ps3 resources?

I really doubt so, but it's not entirely impossible, just HIGHLY unlikely, oh also your signature is too big.

Isabella
Jul 22, 2007, 01:01 AM
I think we have like the exact same tv o.o

Niloklives
Jul 22, 2007, 05:44 PM
I've heard from a few people that PS3 obliterates weapon lag. I can't confirm that with my own experience, but seeing as how the PS3 has more memory and a much faster DVD-ROM drive, I don't doubt it.

Powder Keg
Jul 22, 2007, 06:06 PM
Get rid of all lag! Only 499 USD!

Sinue_v2
Jul 22, 2007, 06:45 PM
but seeing as how the PS3 has more memory and a much faster DVD-ROM drive, I don't doubt it.

That shouldn't make any difference really. The game is only designed to use a certain amount of resources, and if those resources aren't enough to meet demand of the game engine - then you're going to have slowdown. Console games aren't like PC games where you can just upgrade the hardware to improve preformance. There's a few fixes, not to mention added effects, you can apply if you run the game through emulation - but that often comes at the price of software compatability. Microsoft is currently struggling with this issue since they have no other choice aside from continuing to pay nVidia a hefty sum to include their graphics chipset. It could be that Sony only implimented hardware BC until they could work up some satisfactory emulaton software.

It was the same way with the PS2 playing PSX games. The PS2 - despite being far more powerful - couldn't make PSX games run any better. The only thing it could do was a medicore texture smoothing (which was applied in the frame buffer) and fast loading. However, both of these functions could also screw up your games. As a point of fact, even BLEEM didn't improve PSX game quality - but because it was emulation software they could add a bunch of effects, including frame skipping which could create the illusion of reducing slowdown. But, then again, BLEEM was only solidly compatable with what - 600-800 games? Perhaps less.

As for actual lag - i.e. network latency, it's likely that the PS3's network adapter is simply more optimised.. but that wasn't the OP's point.

Egg99
Jul 23, 2007, 01:55 AM
To anyone thinking that a PS3 will help your PSU experience, it won't.

The OP is an anomaly. Plain and simple. Assuming he's not lying, I have absolutely no idea how or why his PSU runs "faster" on a PS3. I played on PS3 for months before I switched to PC (and my god what a difference that was), and did extensive comparisons between playing the game on my PS2 and PS3 during that time.

PS3 level load times are somewhat improved; you do see far less of that black screen with the flashing icon in the bottom right, but it's still nothing spectacular. However, while the levels seem to load a half-second or so faster, the enemy load times are still ridiculous. So while you may not see as much of the black screen, you'll still be standing in the room the odd time looking like a useless pole as you wait for the enemies to appear.

PS3 weapon load times are considerably improved; still nowhere near PC-level, but it is blatantly obvious that you're able to attack much quicker after loading a weapon. I can't give you exact seconds or anything, but as a Force, I was able to nuke much quicker than "normal".

PS3 framerate issues are still apparent, and still horrible; admittedly, it is marginally easier to play in a party on a PS3. But the framerate is still disgusting, so don't overlook that fact. Playing a Force, in HIVE, with 6 party members is death and frustration and a broken TV, regardless of whether you play on a PS3 or a PS2.

PS3 network play is exactly the same; I have a great connection (Rogers), so there was absolutely zero difference playing online with a PS3 or a PS2.

Overall... the PS3 experience is definitely improved over a PS2. However, the fact that the OP says his game runs "smoother" and there's less lag (which I'm assuming he means framerate lag, not network lag) makes absolutely no sense to me. Not saying he's lying or anything. In fact I'm glad for him. But don't think that getting a PS3 will save you from framerate issues, because it won't. Like I said, I guess he just got lucky.

Niloklives
Jul 23, 2007, 02:02 AM
On 2007-07-22 16:45, Sinue_v2 wrote:

but seeing as how the PS3 has more memory and a much faster DVD-ROM drive, I don't doubt it.

That shouldn't make any difference really. The game is only designed to use a certain amount of resources, and if those resources aren't enough to meet demand of the game engine - then you're going to have slowdown. Console games aren't like PC games where you can just upgrade the hardware to improve preformance. There's a few fixes, not to mention added effects, you can apply if you run the game through emulation - but that often comes at the price of software compatability. Microsoft is currently struggling with this issue since they have no other choice aside from continuing to pay nVidia a hefty sum to include their graphics chipset. It could be that Sony only implimented hardware BC until they could work up some satisfactory emulaton software.

It was the same way with the PS2 playing PSX games. The PS2 - despite being far more powerful - couldn't make PSX games run any better. The only thing it could do was a medicore texture smoothing (which was applied in the frame buffer) and fast loading. However, both of these functions could also screw up your games. As a point of fact, even BLEEM didn't improve PSX game quality - but because it was emulation software they could add a bunch of effects, including frame skipping which could create the illusion of reducing slowdown. But, then again, BLEEM was only solidly compatable with what - 600-800 games? Perhaps less.

As for actual lag - i.e. network latency, it's likely that the PS3's network adapter is simply more optimised.. but that wasn't the OP's point.

memory allocation may not be improved much if at all, but a faster read spead on the drive will certainly help with loading. which is probably where he's getting most of his performance boost. even if the game can onlymanage so much at once, the loading screen and wepon data is an issue more with seek time than memory the way the thing is set up.

eitherway as long as he's seen an improvement.

Zael
Jul 23, 2007, 02:07 AM
WTF, how do you get no lag problems on your PS3? I use PS3 with a wireless connection to a linksys router, and I have horrible d/c problems. I disconnect frequently to the point where I'm considering buying a PS2 just to play without problems.

And I'm pretty sure it's not my internet connection because when I play PSU on my laptop, I never time out. I just don't play PSU on my laptop because it overheats my laptop badly :/

Alisha
Jul 23, 2007, 02:39 AM
i recently installed psu on my ps2 HDD and load times are nearly non existant but i may still get slowdown havent been in a situation to get slowdown yet. i also i have a question for those that report an improvement with ps3. how many of those people previously played on a slim ps2? ive heard that the fat ps2 runs some games better than the slim one. one notable example being shadow of the colossus.

Sgt_Shligger
Jul 23, 2007, 02:48 AM
The slim PS2 lost it's fan to create a much slimmer machine. Without a fan, it can't cool as much so it can overheat.

Shadow of Colossus pushes the PS2 to it's limit, like really REALLY close to it's limit.

Serephim
Jul 23, 2007, 02:26 PM
On 2007-07-21 13:50, Yunfa wrote:
Ok I have been playing PSU since it came out in the States, and there was something that always bugged me, but i delt w/ it, and that is LAG!!!
The feeling of not able to heal ur party members while ur panels are loading is just UNBEARABLE!!!

At 1st i blamed THIS
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p265/Finaldrawer/Linkys.jpg

But eventually i took the liberty of moving my PS2 from my room to my dad's computer room for a direct link up, and to my shock and disappointment the gameplay stayed the same.

A few months later...

[Yun has obtained Playstation 3]

A week ago i posted here regarding to me watching my friend's PSU on 360 in action, and how it was so much smoother than PS2. My hopes was crushed as one of the replies stated that if i were to play PSU on the PS3 it would have the same results something something about how its far as Sony will get.

[TODAY]
It took me forever but, i moved my PS2 and all its accessories downstairs into the living room where my PS3 was. Hooked everything up and plugged the Linkys wireless into my PS3 and turned on the game w/ my fingers crossed. (Reason why i moved my PS2 also was becus when i bought the Memory Card adaptor i also bought DDR, and playing upstairs will cause the house to shake.)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p265/Finaldrawer/PS3PS2.jpg

Logged into the game, appeared in Parum East District, moved into Universe 2, characters immediatly appeared, joined a game, character appeared instantly, and within ONE SECOND my techs were available instead of on the dam ps2 it would've taken more than 5 seconds. Finished the run w/out ANY lag, and i got the "smooth" gameplay feeling.

Result: "PSU RUNS DAM WELL ON THE PS3!!!"
So now both my PS3 and my PS2 are stationed downstairs.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p265/Finaldrawer/70TV.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p265/Finaldrawer/Overview.jpg
NO MORE LAG!!! IM SOOOO HAPPY >:D
Rest in Peace my PS2, the 6 years we shared will always be in my heart.

Take that 360! (even tho i own one) >:P

I expected to find some solution other than turning the music off and am highly dissapointed.

No one is going to spend $600 on a fucking overrated fusion reactor. I'd rather get it on PC. That or 360.