PDA

View Full Version : Save a Noob Foundation

FlameBlade
Jul 21, 2007, 05:15 PM
When you see a noob you...(vote)... and now either explain why or rant...its fine with me

Just would like to know what people think and act towards noobs in this game...or newbs or whatever....

I personaly help them since it kinda makes me feel good to make the expierience of a fellow gamer better

If you feel the same tell me and we can help them together...it would be cool...at least I think so lol

Theoderic
Jul 21, 2007, 05:27 PM
I simply explain a few basic things that aren't too easily accessible to them, and I point them in the direction needed (PSOW). Money... no! Items... no! But I do advertise to them, and I also offer to buy their goods above someone elses, to help them out.

Uh... But that's it! I rarely encounter them. I kind of walk by lower leveled players because most are alternate characters, posing as newcomers.

Almighty_Envy
Jul 21, 2007, 05:28 PM
I help tehm ^_^

But i really do hate people who say they help them but really spend their time lvl grinding and hunting rare items.

FlameBlade
Jul 21, 2007, 05:49 PM
See I dont really give them super rare items but if someone just started...they really dont have the money to buy every weapon and say "hey I like this" or "omg this sucks" so I give them lower weapons that, are nothing out of my pocket, but would take them like 10 or 20 missions to get.

Oh yeah and if you see me around on the 360 servers "Flame" i am usually a big cast around lower or upper 70s (depends on how much work I wanna do this week) with lower level plp... ask to join...it gives them confidence to think "hey, there are lots of people who would help me...this community really isnt that bad" even though the harsh truth is that most people would most likely sit and point out how much of a noob they are...

That stuff makes plp quit and from expierience, if you treat someone nice, they will grow up to be that level 90 guy who pays back the favor every now and then http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif...like I would even care if that happens but you never know lol

And yes, 99% of the people who play on the 360 dont come to ANY sites they just follow the crowd...its funny but I would really like to hear someone say "hey arent you the guy from PSOW?...ya I heard you help out lower level people...I would like to as well" like thats EVER gonna happen LOL

Anduril
Jul 21, 2007, 06:15 PM
I help every so often, but only if they don't start off by saying "Gib me munnies!" When I feel in a helping mood I usually just start playing the first Colony mission on C with out a lock and just walk through it. I usually get one or two lower level characters who aren't alts, and I just provide backup with healing for them.

EphekZ
Jul 21, 2007, 07:18 PM
I don't pub =)

APEXi
Jul 21, 2007, 07:21 PM
i take their lunch money

Umberger
Jul 21, 2007, 07:26 PM
I help some newbs. Basically people that are my friends, or my friends' friends who need a little boost to get to our level.

Nobody should help noobs.

Fox_Makenshi
Jul 21, 2007, 07:56 PM
We should also note the difference between noobs and newbs (not going to go into that). Ever since PSO I always helps lower lvl players if they needed it. Mainly because the first time I logged on to the online mode I got tons of help and that made the game so much more enjoyable for me.

I figured I would do the same and help other people out so thusly I do the same in PSU. It's hard enough to find people to help you out in an online game if you're low lvl. It's refreshing to see people actually taking the time out of their life to help someone without really getting too much in return. Just remember what could be pocket change to you (a couple thousand meseta) is a ton to a new player just starting out.

Zael
Jul 21, 2007, 08:07 PM
I kick noobs. Waste of my time.

VanHalen
Jul 21, 2007, 08:09 PM
If they ask for help I help them if I'm not going to do something else. Most likey I help them out. Good time to meet new people.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 21, 2007, 08:09 PM
On 2007-07-21 18:07, Zael wrote:
I kick noobs.

BanF
Jul 21, 2007, 08:11 PM
Whenever I do farming runs for my shop (it's for newbies) I leave it open and invite them to get in, where (depending on the chara) I do my best to kepp them buffed and healthy; I also bring a handgun (as in, the gun named "handgun", the one that you get free at the start) so I can damage the monsters a bit so the newbies don't spend all day killing them, and so they can finish them and get the higher XP. In other runs I don't invite newbies per se, but I leave them open too, and if a newbie shows up somehow I still try to help them. I just don't go running around looking for newbies to help.

Mikura
Jul 21, 2007, 08:12 PM
I usually have no problem helping a newb if they ask politely and don't immediately beg for money, gear or whatever. The way I look at it, it does nothing but help and bolster the community and I'm all for that. "Noobs" on the other hand, I disregard and have little respect for so I generally kick them to the curb. >_>

Prima
Jul 21, 2007, 08:15 PM
There is no such thing as a noob... if there is, dont generalize them. Stop trying to offend people by making it seem like its common/small talk.

Mikura
Jul 21, 2007, 08:24 PM
There is no such thing as a noob... if there is, dont generalize them. Stop trying to offend people by making it seem like its common/small talk.

Noobs generally tend to be stupid people that aren't willing to learn or just act like a**holes in general. So sorry, I feel no remorse for those type of people. They don't even have to be new to be a noob. If I offend those people, oh well. I lack respect for them.

Someone that's genuinely new to the game, willing to listen and learn and is intelligent is a newb and I don't find that term to be derrogative. No one has ever taken offense to newb or newbie when I've said it and most of the time, I don't call someone that in their face. But it is an accurate term to describe that they are new to the game. People like this, I have no ill-will against. So please, I mean no offense to the new people. It's the "noobs" I have a beef with.

Sorry if this was long-winded but I always assumed there was indeed a difference between the term noob and newb. ;x

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikura on 2007-07-21 18:26 ]</font>

Prima
Jul 21, 2007, 08:31 PM
Its childish, why is that not registering? W/e if thats how you feel. Its courtesy though, and the golden rule "treat people the way you wanna be treated". It takes a noob to know a noob.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Prima on 2007-07-21 18:32 ]</font>

Phetty
Jul 21, 2007, 08:44 PM
Ive tried helping them, but with some people its no use. They dont listen, and if theyre a Techer theres almost no help for most of them.

Mayu
Jul 21, 2007, 08:46 PM
Some of them <.< I help

VanHalen
Jul 21, 2007, 08:47 PM
On 2007-07-21 18:46, Ryuugu-Rena wrote:
Some of them <.< I help

I thought they boot you >_>

Prima
Jul 21, 2007, 08:47 PM
If they are gonna disresepect you then leave. Kicking people just sparks things up.

Mayu
Jul 21, 2007, 08:48 PM
Once they look it my stuff and say omg you're with greed ;p

Some of them do http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sekani
Jul 21, 2007, 08:50 PM
On 2007-07-21 18:31, Prima wrote:
Its childish, why is that not registering? W/e if thats how you feel. Its courtesy though, and the golden rule "treat people the way you wanna be treated". It takes a noob to know a noob.

There's another rule that says "Don't give your pearls to swine." I have no problem helping out people who are willing to accept it. Problem is, too many people think they already know everything and don't want any help unless it's in the form of a handout.

"Noobs" are the people who we try to show respect but it is never reciprocated (or in other words, they're the ones breaking your golden rule, not us). At that point there is no further need for courtesy.

Mikura
Jul 21, 2007, 08:52 PM

I'm courteous to those that are nice and well-mannered. If someone's a jerk, of course I'm not going to treat them with respect. And calling someone a newb or noob...well, it may be childish but most of the time, I don't think about it. Old habits are hard to break. Normally, I ask someone if they're new and if they're nice and willing, I'll help them along. End of story. I don't go spouting "lol R U a noob?" all the time. >_>

I also agree with Sekani. If we're kind and generous and they don't return the favor, well you can't very well expect us to just let it go easily. People get mad and upset, it's human nature. Most don't like to be stepped on, hence why we don't simply walk away or leave it alone.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikura on 2007-07-21 18:55 ]</font>

Prima
Jul 21, 2007, 08:52 PM
If they wanna act fake/funny about things, then be like "fuck you, your not in my roster, your of no importance to me" or dont say anything and go on with your life, and if that doesnt work then take their ass in battle mode (if it coems out) and put them in their fucking place.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Prima on 2007-07-21 18:53 ]</font>

Prima
Jul 21, 2007, 09:06 PM
You all need a big ass slice of humble pie, stop being ignorant/difficult (you in particular Sekani). im not trying to convince any of you to be nice or anything because your personal life* does not matter to me, however the negativity is going to get you knowhere.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Prima on 2007-07-21 19:22 ]</font>

Prima
Jul 21, 2007, 09:10 PM
On 2007-07-21 18:52, Mikura wrote:

I'm courteous to those that are nice and well-mannered. If someone's a jerk, of course I'm not going to treat them with respect. And calling someone a newb or noob...well, it may be childish but most of the time, I don't think about it. Old habits are hard to break. Normally, I ask someone if they're new and if they're nice and willing, I'll help them along. End of story. I don't go spouting "lol R U a noob?" all the time. >_>

I also agree with Sekani. If we're kind and generous and they don't return the favor, well you can't very well expect us to just let it go easily. People get mad and upset, it's human nature. Most don't like to be stepped on, hence why we don't simply walk away or leave it alone.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikura on 2007-07-21 18:55 ]</font>
Look at my post above this post im quoting.

MayLee
Jul 21, 2007, 09:13 PM
On 2007-07-21 18:09, Garnet_Moon wrote:

On 2007-07-21 18:07, Zael wrote:
I kick noobs.

Explains so much..

DreamLocke
Jul 21, 2007, 10:21 PM
This thread makes me wanna go to Linear Line C tonight and level up my support spells while helping out the lower levels! Better than a buff party...lol.

I think we all remember (if not in PSU, then PSO) the first time someone helped us out when we were just starting out. It would feel good to return the favor.

I wouldn't mind dumping off some of those 3* weapons that keep dropping in HSM...But no money...never money.

'Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime”

Rashiid
Jul 21, 2007, 11:59 PM
newbs; sure.
n00bs; punt.

TheLOLBandit
Jul 22, 2007, 12:08 AM
i help them... but i dont go out of my way and be " OMG hey thar your liek LVL onnez you needz my HALP! noaW!!! cuz U R teh N00bZ"

ill help if they ask for it

Sekani
Jul 22, 2007, 01:30 AM
On 2007-07-21 19:06, Prima's other personality wrote:
im not trying to convince any of you to be nice or anything because your personal life* does not matter to me, however the negativity is going to get you knowhere.

This is good advice, Prima. You should follow it.

Isabella
Jul 22, 2007, 01:35 AM
I show them how to look at my equips so they can http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif at them. :>

DonRoyale
Jul 22, 2007, 01:36 AM
I help them by understanding Her Secret Mission, so they don't get yelled at by the elitists.

Lol @ nobody voting "I'm a noob"...noobs http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Zorafim
Jul 22, 2007, 01:56 AM
It depends on if I like them or not. If I feel that they're worthwhile, I tend to adopt them. For instance, I have a lv33 pupil that I adopted at lv7, and have enjoyed every minute of it. However, I try not to give them anything more than the first 15k needed to buy a shop, since I know how much more worthwhile it is to do it yourself.

ashley50
Jul 22, 2007, 04:29 AM
Let them venture on their own...let them know for themselves the INs and OUTs of the game.
Besides, there's the internet to look up for stuffs and tutorials alike
(Like i did when i first started...)

Raven5_1
Jul 22, 2007, 05:21 AM
i'm basicly a newbie to psu this is basicly my second/third month of actual play and i got a little help at the begining until i reached lvl 5, after that it for some reason became harder to get help or find a party until i had almost reached lvl 10 and then shadowdragon gave me advise on where to level i went to crimson beast c and leveled up a bit more,

just before firebreak when a player helped me set up a shop and actually gave me a million mesta and due to the need for teams on firebreak it i found help and teams easily i leveled my main from 14 to 42 after firebreak i created an alt and i found it hard to find teams/ higher lvl players to help out going solo through hard work i managed to get to 11 and then i found where everyone had gone(neudaiz hsm) and i was able to find teams to play with and lvl up with and within a week i've basicly reached lvl 20 i took a break from HSM as teamwork in some of the teams had degenerated and then i found myself helping another newbie go from lvl 3 to about lvl 10

but all this has brought me to the conclusion its getting harder for newbies to find help on psu as higher level players are flocking to the high payout areas and dont want to waste time helping someone get a handle on this game. there are those that gladly help but their numbers are dwindling.

Saphion
Jul 22, 2007, 05:30 AM
As is the case with any MMORPG I've played, I'll quite happily help anyone out, but the moment they start begging for weapons or money, I'll tell them to bugger off.

I also hate the sort who cling to you. Especially when they're illiterate.

Ithildin
Jul 22, 2007, 07:16 AM
Well it all depends doesn't it? If they are beggars or just plain annoying I would choose not to help them. If they seem like they genuinely need help then I would offer some. I personally hate players who think they are God's gift to PSU... By that I mean show offs or gobby idiots that go around calling everyone "noobs"... God I really hate that term... In fact I find it an insult to the English language. Couldn't we come up with a better term for new players than that? Like for example "inexperienced paticipants?" Gosh, that just rolls off the tongue doesn't it?

BloodDragoon
Jul 22, 2007, 01:12 PM
I've no problems giving information to newbs that would help them become better at the game or find what they're looking for. It's very rare that I give handouts to them though. If they don't listen to what I'm telling them or start begging for handouts I brush them aside and move on. This is my generalized outlook on any online RPG.

Prima
Jul 22, 2007, 01:26 PM
On 2007-07-21 23:30, Sekani wrote:

On 2007-07-21 19:06, Prima wrote:
im not trying to convince any of you to be nice or anything because your personal life* does not matter to me, however the negativity is going to get you knowhere.

I like being a sarcastic douche.

Dont listen to Sekani everyone, he just has sand in his vagina.

Freshellent
Jul 22, 2007, 02:46 PM
Depends really. I'm generally in a good mood when I start my day,so whenever I see a new ID I offer a quick tour,get them some new clothes then run them to lvl 7 in HIVES. Usually,some new equips,armor whatever, Really it depends if things sold in my shop and I have enough to spare.

Tell them about PSOW,trade cards then let them figure it out from there. So far it's been real nice. Really successful. There's only been about 3-4 of them that've backfired. Out of the 30+ I've helped.

I do my best to make everyone feel welcome,the beggers/spammers and rude people are the ones that miss out. And even then I give a little to get beggers to shut up.

Sekani
Jul 22, 2007, 03:40 PM
On 2007-07-22 11:26, Prima wrote:
Dont listen to Sekani everyone, he just has sand in his vagina.

*sob* You're the only person that's ever spelled my name right. I LOVE YOU MAN.

DeathKrow
Jul 22, 2007, 09:53 PM
i love helping people out(if im in a good mood that is) but what pissess me off is when someone would bash someone only because their new. wtf? werent you new once? what im saying is, in order to make this game more enjoyable for everyone (new and vet) is to go easy on new players, they'll eventually get used to the game then maybe out lv us.

Kairi_Li
Aug 19, 2007, 06:08 AM
I help new players all the time using my Guntecher, mostly to lvl my buffs and cause I sometimes feel bored. Most of them turn out to be cool people and I get their cards and try to keep close contact with them. If they're nice and polite I help them get better starting weapons, armor, clothes and room decors. Cheap or affordable stuff. Clothes are pricier so I reserve that service to the nice ones, though I think I tend to favor girl players...

However, there's always that one N00b that drives everyone crazy. See the quote in my sig? That relates to one particular recent one my boyfriend, his roomate, and I met.

Basically this guy was a player who does not know the word "teamwork" before this game. He played Guildwars solo and just would not listen to my advice. A fine example would be him activating the teleporter before we got in, despite the fact I shouted him to wait, along with instructions to the teleporter at least 3 times.

It got worse as my BF and his roomate joined. Said roomate became party leader due to high luck, and the n00b continues to piss us off. He was around lvl 6, hunter, and was charging into mobs before I can even lift my wand up to buff or heal. We waste so many moons on this guy who just would not stay back!

The killer part is when he started DROPPING his healing items like dimates and trimates, cause we were all calling him out for not listening nor being a teamplayer by running ahead without us. He retaliates by dropping his mates so WE can use them. Apparently, thats his way of being "nice", and that he didn't need them.

Keep in mind, aside from the other newbies we were helping, our lvls didn't need any mates, and I was healing. If anything HE needed them more cause he's low lvl and squishy, and since he enjoys running aheaad away from my heals, he needs them more than anything untill he learns to wait and stay put.

So finally my BF went on a calm but hilarious string of advices and words of wisdom "in character", as the Possessed Cast, and ending it with said quote below on my sig.

"For the sake of my Dark Satanic Gods... Keep your Trimates." ~ The Possessed CAST (http://www.pso-world.com/user.php?op=userinfo&uname=GuardianPoe)

It was goddamn hilarious.

In the end, said roomate has less patience than I, and he booted him after we came to a genera conclusion that he wasn't gonna learn.

I guess there are people who think they know everything and won't listen. Or just believe every game is like Guildwars.

bloodflowers
Aug 19, 2007, 12:37 PM
When I'm on my techer I'll often pick a running party who look like newer players, especially if they're mostly fighters, and use them to level Resta. It's also a good opportunity to train newer people to stop as a group for rebuffs.

Kylie
Aug 19, 2007, 01:18 PM
To me, it doesn't really matter to me if someone's new or not. If they have a lovely personality, and I have nothing to do, I'll show them around and buy stuff for them (lowbie weapons don't cost much anyways).

BigBadWolf
Aug 23, 2007, 09:38 AM
I actually enjoy even seeing new players in this game, it gives me hope for the future. When I came back to the game I was actually a level 56 n00b, and I got a lot of help. So I try to help other low level characters as much as I can.

Unfortunately, some n00b's concept of "helping" consists of soloing Demons Above S for them or something similiar, and that's not gonna happen.

amtalx
Aug 23, 2007, 09:44 AM
I like helping noobs, IF THEY LISTEN. Like most high level players, I have spent a great deal of time accruing knowledge about what works, and what doesn't in this game. It's nice to save someone hours of work by pointing them in the right direction. However, if you are one of those 13 year olds running around as a fG with a Pistol/Saber combo all the time, telling everyone how "|33t" you are...have fun soloing De Ragan.

OldCoot
Aug 23, 2007, 11:13 AM
If I give them something that they didn't earn I take away another chance for them to experience how rich PSU is by running their own missions, meeting people and leveling PAs.

Chaobo99
Aug 23, 2007, 01:32 PM
Well..I don't like noobs cause they're high lvl players that have no idea what they're doing..or some what like that. However,I will help a newb whenever I can ^_^