PDA

View Full Version : Was ProTranser really meant to be "the other FighGunner" at

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 26, 2007, 03:41 PM
Looking at the FiGunner, you see that it can use twin sabers, twin daggers, doublesabers, twin guns, crossbow, machinegun. Light, agile, fancy.

Look at the ProTranser's weapon selection. Axe, Grenade Launcher, Shotgun, laser cannon. The only one-handed weapons it can use are handguns and sabers; the only twin allowed is a pair of knuckles. Big, heavy, cumbersome weapons as opposed to the figunner's lighter, faster weapons. Doesn't this make it look like it was intended to be simply a FiGunner: Heavy Weapons version?

Also worth noting is the FO level 5 requirement despite the complete lack of teching. And is it just me or was the trap ability merely tacked on? This class looks like it had some trouble being developed.

Esufer
Jul 26, 2007, 03:45 PM
Nope, ProTranser is the ginger kid.

DaRkWoLf30
Jul 26, 2007, 04:02 PM
The 5 force is for the bow, and no its not the other fighgunner, Its a trap class..

HFlowen
Jul 26, 2007, 04:04 PM
I've kinda wondered why PT never got a STA boost... I mean, every other Ranger based class has one.

Meh.

ShineOnline
Jul 26, 2007, 04:04 PM
FO 5 was required for access to bows , though I'd rather have forgone those levels and been given access to rifles instead.

Xaeris
Jul 26, 2007, 04:07 PM
That's the thing though. It seems as if Sonic Team wanted a class that incorporated elements from all the basic classes, justifying a Lv 5 req for each, but figured that'd be overpowered and instead tacked on a FO requirement to what's essentially a heavy arms FG. Think of it this way. Guntechers get bows, cards and techs, and they only had to level FO to 3. How much sense does it make that you'd need a higher level of experience to only get a fraction of that?

And for a trap class, it's kind of odd that a whole other class has access to all the same traps (for now) and two others get half the selection, including one of the most useful kind (Burn), no?

HFlowen
Jul 26, 2007, 04:09 PM
Gotta wait for EX traps i guess....

A2K
Jul 26, 2007, 04:22 PM
On 2007-07-26 14:07, Xaeris wrote:
That's the thing though. It seems as if Sonic Team wanted a class that incorporated elements from all the basic classes, justifying a Lv 5 req for each, but figured that'd be overpowered and instead tacked on a FO requirement to what's essentially a heavy arms FG. Think of it this way. Guntechers get bows, cards and techs, and they only had to level FO to 3. How much sense does it make that you'd need a higher level of experience to only get a fraction of that?

And for a trap class, it's kind of odd that a whole other class has access to all the same traps (for now) and two others get half the selection, including one of the most useful kind (Burn), no?

I construe the LV5 requirement in all the basic types as more of a reflection of the idea that Protranser is an experimental/endgame type... a type for someone who has gotten a taste of everything else already.

Protranser's traps are noticeably more damaging than a fortegunner's. The playstyle it seems to encourage was traps supported by its available weapons, or vice versa. More or less equal attention--one half supports the other. Its relatively low stats reflect this.

ShineOnline
Jul 26, 2007, 04:25 PM
The increased trap damage is nice, and would have really benefitted from the ability to carry more of them.

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 26, 2007, 04:28 PM
But traps can only be carried in limited quantities and are much more costly to use extensively than the other weapons. A protranser's increased trap damage is nowhere near as beneficial as a figunner's superior ATP, which at level 1 is still higher than that of a level 10 PT.

panzer_unit
Jul 26, 2007, 04:39 PM
Protranser is like its name suggests: PSU - Expert Mode. They get the broadest range of character abilities and most situationally effective weaponry, but low stats and an almost complete absense of general-effectiveness gear forces you to use everything the class has effectively as possible if you want to outperform your teammates. EDIT: it's much more the weapon types than the poor ATP progression that make doing damage a challenge. Except for handgun, knuckles, and shots, they're using weapons that will account for ~half of a Forte's total ATP... a PT rocking a 9* Grenade or Axe has ~85% the total ATP of a forte with the same.

This is irrelevant given S2 mission rewards letting you blow through ranks as long as you can tag along with a group, but progressing through the PT job is almost like starting your character over again... it's much more involving and rewarding than any other job I've cranked through.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: panzer_unit on 2007-07-26 14:50 ]</font>

Mystil
Jul 26, 2007, 04:40 PM
More like Fortefighter Lite with a little bit of Fortegunner on the side.

A2K
Jul 26, 2007, 04:45 PM
I wasn't really making any comparisons to fighgunner or any other type, really, contrary to the original post, just putting out my thoughts on the... niche I think that protranser is supposed to fill in the game.

I don't really see it as "the other fighgunner" at all, as the goals for FG is more along the lines of "melee with ranged support". Receiving the "light and agile" weapons as S ranks, I think, was more of a gesture to give the type more uniqueness and desirability than it would have had versus Fortefighter, which, if those pre-expert type screenshots were any indication, originally had S ranks for everything at its disposal (which included double sabers). The mantle of "light and agile attacker" will be shifted more towards Acrofighter, come expansion.

In any case, one of the changes that we assume is coming in Ambition of the Illuminus is a reduction of the cost of traps, so that will take care of that for PT (and not a moment too soon).

ThEoRy
Jul 26, 2007, 06:06 PM
in short, no.

Jakosifer
Jul 26, 2007, 08:05 PM
To me, they just feel like a heavy weapons version of fighgunner, just with worse stats and better trap ability. (Which is why I play it sometimes)

ashley50
Jul 26, 2007, 09:23 PM
imo...PTs are purely support classes.
I'm saying this because of the weapons/skills they have and is not a very effective attacker.

Allison_W
Jul 26, 2007, 09:35 PM
I would actually agree that PT is the other HU/RA hybrid, yes. There's not really any force in them at all--they get bows, yes, but no technics. Bows may be a "force weapon," but they're ultimately the "heavy" version of the rifle--same general role (SEs and sniping), lower speed, higher raw power per shot.

Fighgunner feels like an alternative Fortefighter, almost--a primary melee combatant that trades some of its raw power and the heavy weapons specialization for better secondary ranged combat options and light weapons specialization. Given its ranged weapon selection, it feels almost like the guns it does get are drawn more from the Guntecher than from the Fortegunner--techless Fortefighter/Guntecher hybrid, perhaps?

Protranser, on the other hand, is more like a direct Fortefighter/Fortegunner hybrid, as opposed to an alternative. Like both the FF and FG, it specializes in heavy weapons. Unlike the FI, its role is more evenly distributed between its melee and ranged sides--you could call them "halves" in the case of the PT--whereas the FI is obviously melee-dominant.

So yes, I think the PT's role is unique--there is no other class that combines the Fortefighter and Fortegunner roles like that; it's the true HU/RA hybrid. Fighgunner hardly feels like a hybrid at all, though that may change come AoI; currently, it's just a primary fighter with the ability to hurt flyers and whatnot.

landman
Jul 26, 2007, 09:37 PM
You need 5 Force lvls because in your first PT lvls your HP sucks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

SolomonGrundy
Jul 26, 2007, 10:13 PM
I always wondered why PT didn't have higher MST. 5 force levels for bow? GT only needs 3, and got cards too.

PT plays differently than FG. I like it better, but I have more $$$ now, than I did when Figunning. If I had to sum it up, I'd say FG is more geared to solowork, and PT tends to team up really well.

60Hz
Jul 26, 2007, 10:40 PM
To me the PT is half a class currently - it may have been their plan all along to make it the class you have to really invest in - but down the line the rewards will be worth it... i'll guess we'll see...

having all s-ranks sounds great but its gonna be tough obtaining them all not to mention good percentages on the melee ones... the ex traps sound fantastic tho... it may offset the lack of strafing weapons...

Rashiid
Jul 26, 2007, 10:42 PM
if they gave protranser any type of technic power (bows wtf) ; then yes tha world would be one.

Allison_W
Jul 26, 2007, 11:25 PM
On 2007-07-26 20:40, 60Hz wrote:
To me the PT is half a class currently - it may have been their plan all along to make it the class you have to really invest in - but down the line the rewards will be worth it... i'll guess we'll see...

having all s-ranks sounds great but its gonna be tough obtaining them all not to mention good percentages on the melee ones... the ex traps sound fantastic tho... it may offset the lack of strafing weapons...

It's not half a class; it's half-and-half. If you use it only as a half-assed Fortefighter or a half-assed Fortegunner, it will suck; I've learned this the hard way. It's when you use it as a half-assed Fortefighter and a half-assed Fortegunner that its value starts to show.

Not gonna argue with any of the changes implemented in the beta, though. ATP boost might be a little overboard, but gib S-ranks and exclusive traps pl0x.

SolomonGrundy
Jul 27, 2007, 01:11 AM
gib stun traps prease. PT onry

panzer_unit
Jul 27, 2007, 08:06 AM
Give status traps ANY KIND OF USABLE DURATION. PLZ. Honestly, the juggle on a Damage trap lasts almost as long as the Shock trap SE.

I prefer soloing as PT, then again my FG isn't really high-level yet. PT's get access to the cheap tricks that let Fortegunner solo so well (Virus Traps, Grenades, SE3 burn on lots of weapons) plus better options when you're forced to go hand-to-hand.