PDA

View Full Version : Why no non-elemental technics?

Helly
Jul 26, 2007, 05:59 PM
If there can be neutral weapons then why not technics as well? "Magic" being bound only to elements is kinda silly. Maybe it could be super effective against the rogue-type baddies and De Ragnus. Forces prolly have their hands full juggling the six element types as it is but neutral could be useful for the half-breed techer classes.

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 26, 2007, 06:05 PM
That's a very good point. However, the game does too much encouraging of using the "proper" element for each situation that non-elemental spells would require some creative effects to be of any use. Still, it'd be nice to have.

Also: If they were super effective on rogues and ragnus and such, wouldn't "neutral" suddenly become an element? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Prima
Jul 26, 2007, 06:08 PM
It wouldnt have a super effect on anything, thats why its non-elemental.

ShineOnline
Jul 26, 2007, 06:11 PM
It could be called Nosneutral or "MAGIKU MISSARU!!!"

ThEoRy
Jul 26, 2007, 06:12 PM
what on earth would you suggest then?

Esufer
Jul 26, 2007, 06:19 PM
Why have neutral spells when Diga & Dambarta make everything die in seconds?

Sychosis
Jul 26, 2007, 06:24 PM
On 2007-07-26 16:11, ShineOnline wrote:

They would be in the "Zan" family of TECHNICs. Wind was considered non-elemental before, and could easily be so again.

As for their effects, knock downs, knock backs, and knock ups primarily. Even silence would work well. Though I would like to see the basic Zan be a vacuum blade of sorts that acts like Zonde, but can hit multiple points on larger enemies.

Powder Keg
Jul 26, 2007, 06:25 PM
I'm happy that I have dark, but where the hell are my wind spells???

Garnet_Moon
Jul 26, 2007, 06:36 PM
They can't be spells.

Throw Photon Hammers like the Hammer Bros would be an awesome Neutral tech.

It'd be so awesome i'd use it on everything.

ThEoRy
Jul 26, 2007, 06:49 PM
On 2007-07-26 16:24, Sychosis wrote:

They would be in the "Zan" family of TECHNICs. Wind was considered non-elemental before, and could easily be so again.

As for their effects, knock downs, knock backs, and knock ups primarily. Even silence would work well. Though I would like to see the basic Zan be a vacuum blade of sorts that acts like Zonde, but can hit multiple points on larger enemies.

See I thought about wind at first as well.
But my inner minds eye spoke to me and said,

"But isn't wind a natural element in real life?"

Then I said,

"Shut up stupid it's only a video game!"

And then I thought about a previous topic where we discussed technics combining to form combo attacks ala PSIV.
Now I've always liked to think wind would be the catalyst in this action as fire+wind=firey cyclones and wind+earth=boulder hurling tornadoes. So maybe then you could deal heavier damage against neutrals. Seeing as how wind is actually an element, a combo type attack might be necessary. Just a thought.

SolomonGrundy
Jul 26, 2007, 06:57 PM
neutral technics are represented by having different techs on a wand, thus rendering the wand neutral. I was surprised when i learned techs were elemental above and beyond that as well.

:-/

Umberger
Jul 26, 2007, 07:40 PM
On 2007-07-26 16:24, Sychosis wrote:
...but can hit multiple points on larger enemies.

I would rather like to be able to do that.

CelestialBlade
Jul 26, 2007, 07:42 PM
I

WANT

LEGEON

>:

APEXi
Jul 26, 2007, 07:45 PM
could be like the mayalee bullets.. nuetral with a variety of effects. there's still a few out there that could be claimed, such as "charm" ala GH441

Serephim
Jul 26, 2007, 08:22 PM
On 2007-07-26 15:59, Helly wrote:
If there can be neutral weapons then why not technics as well? "Magic" being bound only to elements is kinda silly. Maybe it could be super effective against the rogue-type baddies and De Ragnus. Forces prolly have their hands full juggling the six element types as it is but neutral could be useful for the half-breed techer classes.

...So, how would that work.

Clostest thing to Non-Elemental technics would be Photon Arts and Rifles. (duh.)

I dont know how you come up with "elemementless magic". This isnt dragon ball Z.

Helly
Jul 26, 2007, 08:35 PM
On 2007-07-26 18:22, Serephim wrote:
...So, how would that work.

Clostest thing to Non-Elemental technics would be Photon Arts and Rifles. (duh.)

I dont know how you come up with "elemementless magic". This isnt dragon ball Z.

Psychic power maybe? Psychic isn't a element! Instead of bending spoons you could bend baddies!

Gryffin
Jul 26, 2007, 08:51 PM
I kinda like the idea of neutral...

I want noszan!

Lol.

Reipard
Jul 26, 2007, 09:42 PM
I see a few possibility for neutral techs...

Gra series - More effective on larger foes than smaller; area based and slow.
Gen series - From PS2; more effective on organic enemies, almost non-effective on mechanical.
Gaj series - From PS2; like Gen but instead of organic enemies it mainly fights machinery.

It would also be fun to have the following (fun speculation indeed):
Saner - Increased running speed.
Fanbi - Sorta like a single target version of Megiverse. Drains HP from one enemy. Quite strong.
Tsu series - Standard tier light attacks.

None of this is really necessary, but it'd be neat to see some of the older PS spells come back.

Rashiid
Jul 26, 2007, 09:58 PM
Ra-Mayalee....hmm...i leik....

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 26, 2007, 09:59 PM
If there were no enemies who had an elemental advantage over you, the game wouldn't be any fun... (not that it is much now...)

Allison_W
Jul 26, 2007, 10:07 PM

HEL YEH

But seriously, I could see non-elemental technics being added. Their precise value would be debatable, however.

On the other hand, I would like to see technics that don't do anything but impart a status effect, kind of like the existing debuffs. Things like burn, freeze, and shock wouldn't make a helluva lot of sense separated from their specific elements (Boma Maga is odd enough; you would think it would have an ice element to it, considering it freezes), but I could definitely see silence, sleep, charm, confuse, and perhaps stun technics. Preferably AoEs, except perhaps for the "stun" one. I could do with having access to a wide-area sleeper tech for crowd control, for instance.

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 26, 2007, 10:21 PM
Even if non-elemental techniques were added, they wouldn't be strong or weak against neutral enemies...they'd just have no weaknesses (nor strengths) on anything.

Kent
Jul 27, 2007, 12:08 AM
I, personally, think all neutral-element attacks should do more damage against neutral-element foes by a set percentage... But that's just me.

You know, setting them apart from the elemental weapons, by making the percentage a constant, as opposed to variable.

As for neutral-element techniques... That's something I'd really like to see. The whole Zan thing is a good idea, really, and the idea to set neutral element techniques apart, would be that they don't have a disadvantage against any specific type (and unlike other elemental techniques, their "percentage" against neutral enemies wouldn't go up with skill levels...), but have no special effect on the attack-based ones and a slightly-above-normal TP modifier. Of course, that capability to hit multiple targets on the same creature... I like that idea.

To play out the neutrality theme even more, there would really be a balance of technique types, with some more interesting effects.

For example, standard "Zan" (or whatever it would be called - just using this for the example) would be a fast-travelling projectile, with better size and speed than Zonde, and can hit multiple targets in a linear path. Next up could be a "Noszan" which, of course, would be Magic Missile, firing multiple projectiles at a single target (kinda like Cards, but not as slow). "Gizan" could be the AOE equivalent, firing a total of 6 (increasing in number as the level goes up?) Noszan-like projectiles at nearby enemies, with mutliple projectiles hitting the same enemy if there are fewer than the maximum amount.

Then for support, I think a good technique would be one that deals damage to an enemy (or small group - Razan?) and takes the total damage done, and splits that as HP restored to nearby allies. Just for kicks, the buff spells could add be ones that increase the elemental percentage of armor/weapons of all party members' hit, and the debuff could, say, inflict Sleep on enemies.

So, in other words...

Zan - Linear, piercing projectile.
Noszan - Multiple seeking projectiles to one target.
Gizan - Multiple seeking projectiles to nearby targets.
Razan - Damage to multiple targets, splits total damage as restored HP for nearby allies.
Zandial - Increase elemental weapon/armor effective percentage. a.k.a. The Irony Technique.
Zandeel - Sleep on all enemies in range.

Those would be some interesting spells. It'd really be great to have a Madoog that casts Magic Missile. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif