PDA

View Full Version : Why are people so damn unoriginal?

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 27, 2007, 10:04 AM
Don't you hate it when you take the time to perfect a funny joke you made up, or even a nice good catch phrase, and when you say it once in a secluded party, you hear it from someone else the next day, and then from a couple people the next day, and within a week, you have to listen to it every few minutes?

DurakkenX
Jul 27, 2007, 10:26 AM
Yes...it's why I stopped chat role playing...everyone kept cloning me v.v

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 27, 2007, 10:28 AM
It bugs me so much, that I stopped using other people's phrases all together, and I only say what I make up.

Aluria
Jul 27, 2007, 10:29 AM
Doom to all who threaten the home world!
Up Up and Away!
I'm Batman!

yea catch phrases come and go and everyone will use/abuse them when they hear them. it sucks but it's true. Just like that god damn Orly

Weeaboolits
Jul 27, 2007, 10:30 AM
I have the knack!

SStrikerR
Jul 28, 2007, 09:30 AM
I have the knack!

XD

Sord
Jul 28, 2007, 11:27 AM
eh, very little is ever original in this day in age, almost everything is built off of something else. I can't remember the line 100%, but I believe it's something like "The ashes of old mixed with glitter."

Sinue_v2
Jul 28, 2007, 11:54 AM
In the 4th century, The author of Ecclesiastes wrote:
What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; there is nothing new under the sun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-07-28 09:56 ]</font>

DikkyRay
Jul 28, 2007, 12:50 PM
Wait theres more than 1 ecclesiastes?

Thalui89
Jul 28, 2007, 02:03 PM
Well put it this way. If it catches on atleast you know what u said was good.

Leviathan
Jul 28, 2007, 04:06 PM
Oh I thought this was going to be a topic because of myspace &scene kids.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

But yea I do hate it when people take my quotes &use them. It pisses me off &then they say they invented it. >=|

Sinue_v2
Jul 28, 2007, 09:42 PM
On 2007-07-28 10:50, DikkyRay wrote:

Ecclesiastes is a book in the Hebrew bible. Although the author claims to be the son of King David (Which would be King Solomon) there's really nothing to substantiate that claim - and the books is likely a collective of collaborative works and stories based on oral tradition. Also, the date I listed was a bit wrong - since it's (at oldest) 4th century BC, not AD. (Solomon lived about 1,000BC - 900BC.)

I've also heard the quote attributed to Shakespeare.

Also, speaking of unoriginality - did you know that there have only been 36 basic plotlines in all of human literature.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-07-28 19:49 ]</font>

DikkyRay
Jul 28, 2007, 09:43 PM
On 2007-07-28 19:42, Sinue_v2 wrote:

On 2007-07-28 10:50, DikkyRay wrote:

Ecclesiastes is a book in the Hebrew bible. Although the author claims to be the son of King David (Which would be King Solomon) there's really nothing to substantiate that claim - and the books is likely a collective of collaborative works and stories based on oral tradition. Also, the date I listed was a bit wrong - since it's (at oldest) 4th century BC, not AD. (Solomon lived about 1,000BC - 900BC.)

I've also heard the quote attributed to Shakespeare.

Yea i firgured it was from the bible, but the 4th century threw me off. I thought you meant 4 A.D. XD

Mystil
Jul 29, 2007, 07:08 AM
I'd be flattered. It means people admire your style of humor and wanna use it.

MrNomad
Jul 29, 2007, 08:46 AM
well my catch phrase "pew pew" is original http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif....I thin...Yea I'm sure I was the only person who thought of it o o

HUnewearl_Meira
Jul 29, 2007, 03:30 PM
I have been responsible for a few words and phrases that have flung about around these parts, in the past. Think of it this way: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Also, speaking of unoriginality - did you know that there have only been 36 basic plotlines in all of human literature.

I can believe that.

My theory is that there's actually only 1 comprehensive story, and everything ever written only reflects it. The more deeply the story tends to hit people, the closer to the 1 story it is.

If scholars were to sit down and examine the things that really strike us in stories, then try and sort them all out, I'm thinking that the story we'd end up with would tell us who we really are, and what the hell we're doing here.

Powder Keg
Jul 29, 2007, 07:51 PM
If no one used a joke or phrase that we've heard before, we'd know of no good jokes, or most things that are funny for that matter. You can't throw a copyright label on everything. As long as you know you came up with it, that should be good enough. And if people believe you that you did, even better.

As an example, I've called Bil De Vears "Build-a-Bears" when I first saw their name. It was the first thing that came to mind and I've said it to people in my team. Did people take what I said and say it to others? Probably. Did others also think the exact same thing that I did? Most likely.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Artea on 2007-07-29 17:53 ]</font>

Sord
Jul 29, 2007, 08:10 PM
On 2007-07-29 13:30, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I have been responsible for a few words and phrases that have flung about around these parts, in the past. Think of it this way: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I can believe that.

My theory is that there's actually only 1 comprehensive story, and everything ever written only reflects it. The more deeply the story tends to hit people, the closer to the 1 story it is.

If scholars were to sit down and examine the things that really strike us in stories, then try and sort them all out, I'm thinking that the story we'd end up with would tell us who we really are, and what the hell we're doing here.

so if we take Ralph Waldo Emerson's line, "Imitation is suicide," then writers are slowly killing off their writing ability as they get closer to that 1 story? Damn transcendentalists. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

seriously though, copying a line here or there is fine. It's just when people go all out and try and copy nearly everything from some act or such that it gets annoying. Eventually if something gets widespread enough, it just becomes a fad, but it will die out eventually, and you'll be one of the few that still enjoy it regardless. |1/<3 |V|3 4|||] 1337

Sinue_v2
Jul 30, 2007, 12:22 AM
Think of it this way: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Hah, I've always preferred the more sardonic "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery."

Solstis
Jul 30, 2007, 12:30 AM
According to Roland Barthes (and some contemporaries), the 1 story would basically be the Degree Zero. A writer attempts to reach Degree Zero with some new technique, rejecting whatever literary trend is common place at the moment, others follow suit in the same method, and the new technique becomes tired.

Then, the next generation rebels against the old system, and the cycle begins again. I don't think that the spiral (it is a spiral, as we learn from all previous iterations, and discover new, but related paths) can possibly reach the 1 story, and if it did, there would be no reason to write anymore.

:<

Writers cannot kill off their ability to write, because some new edgy movement will save the day in order to reset the clock (Transcendentalists, Surrealists, Realists, etc).

Cliff Notes: The Degree Zero system is an infinite spiral, not a circle. You learn nothing in a circle, but can reflect when in a spiral.

-Proof: I basically wrote the same thing as Sord, but I referenced a different person and wrote more stuff. Take that!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2007-07-29 22:31 ]</font>

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 30, 2007, 12:51 AM
On 2007-07-29 06:46, MrNomad wrote:
well my catch phrase "pew pew" is original http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif....I thin...Yea I'm sure I was the only person who thought of it o o

So YOU started the "Fortegunners go Pew Pew" at Ryno's event yesterday! LOL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 360NyTeMaRe on 2007-07-29 22:52 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Jul 30, 2007, 03:47 AM
Heh, me and my "posse" as some like to call it, make up plenty of catchphrases and such, and, er, borrow some of them from other sources, it all makes for good fun.