PDA

View Full Version : Most Expensive Class

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 30, 2007, 04:03 PM
What do you think is the most expensive class to be?
INCLUDING WEAPON EXPENSES
Not counting Photon Arts, because otherwise everyone would vote Fortetecher.

I just noticed we're allower 9 poll options now instead of 8! I must have made an impact when I complained. ROFL

I vote fortefighter, because high-percentage weapons that fighters are partial to (spears/axes) are VERY expensive. I struggled to purchase my 18% ank tomho for just 80,000.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 360NyTeMaRe on 2007-07-30 14:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 360NyTeMaRe on 2007-07-30 14:36 ]</font>

Kylie
Jul 30, 2007, 04:04 PM
Protranser. Traps.

Xaeris
Jul 30, 2007, 04:05 PM
I say Protranser. Not only do they shoulder the expense of synthing high % weapons just to compete like other melee classes, they also have to buy guns. And of course, they're always buying traps of some kind and that's an expense that never goes away.

Jaden_Korr
Jul 30, 2007, 04:06 PM
Protranser,I've blown about 1.5mil on the class so far

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 30, 2007, 04:07 PM
Jeez, I never thought of it that way! I shoulda left out Protranser lol.

They win by default! I should have at least left out traps http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Lamak
Jul 30, 2007, 04:08 PM
Foregunner. They have to pay for traps and they can only attack by using PP (Unless they use melee weapons ;/) So yeah they have to suffer crappy PP charges and trap prices.

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 30, 2007, 04:09 PM
As a fortegunner main, I can agree. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Para
Jul 30, 2007, 04:11 PM
Your definition of expensive depends on your level of expectation of what you hope to equip for the class.

Akaimizu
Jul 30, 2007, 04:17 PM
True enough. A Guntecher can usually out do this if they use up their traps and deal with recharges, because they also don't have the PP reduction of the ForteGunner. Now case in point, it also depends on how often you use the traps. Now on a mission with tougher monsters, one might use around 5000 on traps. If you use more, then you may be on the high-side of the medium and thus are spending more on traps than another.

So basically it will come down to how much you spend on traps per mission. How many do you use, on average.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-07-30 14:23 ]</font>

darkante
Jul 30, 2007, 04:19 PM
Protranser is probably the most expensive one.
Because then most of the time you have to rely on traps for good damage.

panzer_unit
Jul 30, 2007, 04:30 PM
Depends on how you play Protranser. Their traps aren't anything special, and only noobs blow a ton of money on 'em... a stack of Virus and Virus G will cover you through the worst missions solo, and it's bad teamwork to use anything but a stack of Burn G on a team.

Transers get a raw deal on equipment... you want top-of-the-line stuff to avoid tripping over your low stats, and you need both melee and range. On the field, PT's are hit and miss with costs. If you're easy-going, being able to switch between guns and swords saves on photon charges and trimate... if you're trying to keep pace with hardcore players for damage, you'll pay good money for it instead.

APEXi
Jul 30, 2007, 04:32 PM
protranser can be expensive until you get those bows levelled up

Sekani
Jul 30, 2007, 04:33 PM
PP recharge costs can be high for every class, and even then you can cover those just with the meseta drops in a mission. I disagree with anyone who seriously considers recharge costs as a class expense.

That said, protranser seems to be the near-unanimous choice for most expensive class, but fortefighters aren't far behind.

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 30, 2007, 04:36 PM
I'm talking about buying weapons and such too

APEXi
Jul 30, 2007, 04:39 PM
well in all of the other classes you can get by with just swinging your weapons around, whatever they may be - but a low level protranser really has to pull out all the stops, and that means plunking out the meseta for traps every run.

chibiLegolas
Jul 30, 2007, 04:44 PM
I thought FF was always the most expensive (even if you DO include PA's).
I don't get what's so sympathetic about techers when Rangers are in the same boat with being forced to use PA's to deal ANY damage.

But yea, isn't it FF cause they HAVE to get good variety of weapons AND armor?
And isn't it unrealistic to say that FF's will have to synth their own weapons + armors to save costs? I myself have only synthed one high % armor, and can't see how the hell ppl can aim to make your own high % for each element....
Now apply that to different elements on different hunter type weapons....

Gunners and techer weapons IMO, arne't that expensive to synth.

While PT's can always rely on their gunner side to save costs, and don't have to rely on good armor 100% compared to FF's. They are half gunners afterall. Having to buy guns is mute since fighters have to spend just as much (or more) for the same amount of weapons to stick into their palette. And with the battle system set up now, kinda forces FF's to PA spam nearly all the time, no?
So in that sence, we ALL have to spend a lot at the recharge cube, almost equally, no?
And each class coud always try and save $ by using B/C weapons for different effects, no?
(C rods for buffs on techers for example).
Traps on the other hand, well like someone else said, how many traps are you using on each mission? I generally use 2-5 each mission and don't feel that it's a drain in funds. And that's on my FoG. I don't see why PT's would NEED to spend more $ on traps if they don't have to.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2007-07-30 14:48 ]</font>

Xaeris
Jul 30, 2007, 04:58 PM
Of course a protranser can pretend to be a fortegunner if they want to skimp on costs. On the same note, a fortefighter can use some green weapons if they want to save cash. The decrease in effectiveness is about the same.

If they're both operating at a respectable capacity however, the protranser, due to not having an innate PP reduction or a regen bonus is most assuredly blowing through his or her PP faster.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 30, 2007, 05:05 PM
Any class trying to get 50% anything is expensive.

APEXi
Jul 30, 2007, 05:06 PM
just my two meseta about the often-neglected, never understood protranser, kel - ofcourse when i went through it there were only a few others out there, +LamB+ was the only other one i saw before and i think we both had more than enough money to throw away on traps. later on i would come across a few other protrannies and pick up on their playstyle, but it wasn't until i started maxxing out the bows when i'd actually come out of a mission with meseta rather than spending it all at the NPC guy. but i guess that could be called a agressive-transer. many ways to play any class. but i agree with you that fortegunner is the cheapest class to play for the simple fact that you dont really need a great armor, I still use Phantom Lines - you dont have to buy/make many weapons because you can switch the element on the guns rather than get striking weapons of varying elements - and you can stay back if you're in a decent sized party and inflict your damage through SEs. the trade off to that is you "have" to spend a good ammount of time levelling up your bullets before you can really see the benefits of playing a ranger

pionear
Jul 30, 2007, 05:36 PM
1. Protranser
2. ForteGunner
3. GunTecher
4. ForteTecher
5. Fighgunner

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jul 30, 2007, 06:24 PM
1. Protranser
2. Fortefighter/Figunner/Wartecher
3. Fortegunner/Guntecher/Fortetetetetetetetecher

ThEoRy
Jul 30, 2007, 06:27 PM
[quote]On 2007-07-30 15:36, pionear wrote:
1. Protranser
2. ForteGunner
3. ForteTecher
4. GunTecher
5. Fighgunner

Fixed

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jul 30, 2007, 06:32 PM
No. A ranged or tech based class cannot possibly be more expensive than a melee class.

Para
Jul 30, 2007, 06:39 PM
On 2007-07-30 16:24, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:
1. Protranser
2. Fortefighter/Figunner/Wartecher
3. Fortegunner/Guntecher/Fortetetetetetetetecher

mmm what about...
1. Protranser
2. Fighgunner
3. Fortefighter
4. Wartecher
5. Guntecher/Fortegunner
6. Fortetecher

On ranking criteria, I focused on:
Traps
Synthing high elemental weapons/armour
grinding

Eligaz
Jul 30, 2007, 06:47 PM
If you try to get decent elemental percent melee classes are without doubt the most expensive. The more you rely on melee weapons the more expensive it'll be. I know people overprice the 9* guns and wands despite that they're not harder or more expensive to make. A melee weapon is just as expensive, but when it comes out as a 10% it's value hits rock bottom and you'll be lucky if you get it sold to make up for the materials used in the process.

To save cash throughout the early levels you could stick to neutral weapons as a melee fighter. But if you want to use your class to it's full potential you'll have little choice but to at some point move on to elemental stuff.

As I side not my first two characters were both melee. Expensive as hell. But I've had loads of fun so I don't mind having to deal with the negative impact on my economy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eligaz on 2007-07-30 16:49 ]</font>

Kaydin
Jul 30, 2007, 06:53 PM
From most expensive to least expensive:
-Protranser
-Ranger Types
-Force Types
-Hunter Types

Protransers spend a fortune on traps. Rangers and Forces spend a lot on Photon Charges/Recharge Cubes. Hunters don't (or shouldn't) spend as much on Charges because they have the ability to attack without using PP.

biggabertha
Jul 30, 2007, 08:26 PM
Like panzer_unit said, you don't need a great deal of traps to get through any mission but it's fun to use (and there are always so little opportunities to use them. Like the Firebreak moatoob mission on A. Now THAT was a great mission to use traps like how they're supposed to be used most efficiently; on shielded Vanda Mehras).

However, there are some players who insist on traps to be used if you deal the best damage that way. Anyway, aside from casting TECHNICs, a Protranser can do what a Fortefighter can, what a Fortegunner can and what a trapper can. Three out of four of these things makes things very expensive for this hybrid class and is only seconded by the Guntecher who can do all four things.

Except this is where a Protranser is more expeensive than a Guntecher, a Protranser has to use all four kinds of mates, has a Grenade Launcher which eats up PP without the cost reduction of a Fortegunner or the accuracy of a Fortegunner/Guntecher, an Axe, Sword, Spear, Knuckles and Saber that don't have PP reduction of a Fortefighter but still has to have some elemental attributes to the melee weapons. This isn't all, after the Wartecher, a Protranser has the most varied equipment of any other class in terms of what can go into the six slot weapon palette added on TOP of the trap(s) that they want in their item palette.

So.. Not only are we Protransers a fiddly class, pre-dominantly stationary class, below average physical attacking statistics, loads of different and expensive Photon Art discs to get a hold of (Axe, Grenade Launcher and Laser Cannon) AND the choice of using traps. I'd say that the other hybrid classes are pretty expensive as well; especially the two who can use TECHNICs since they dabble in the melee and shooting. A lot.

DaRkWoLf30
Jul 30, 2007, 08:39 PM
Traps get really expensive as a protransers and protransers arn't all that strong.

Sekani
Jul 31, 2007, 12:48 AM
On 2007-07-30 16:53, Kaydin wrote:
From most expensive to least expensive:
-Protranser
-Ranger Types
-Force Types
-Hunter Types

Protransers spend a fortune on traps. Rangers and Forces spend a lot on Photon Charges/Recharge Cubes. Hunters don't (or shouldn't) spend as much on Charges because they have the ability to attack without using PP.

This list is flawed because everyone spends money on recharges, and even then it's such a trivial amount that no one should be complaining about it.

True expenses would be weapon synthing/grinding, armor synthing, units, traps, and healing/recovery items.

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 31, 2007, 01:31 AM
To be honest I hardly ever see Protransers using traps.

ljkkjlcm9
Jul 31, 2007, 01:39 AM
tech classes are the cheapest why you may ask?
I'm a force, I synth 4 rods, wand, card, bow. I'm set. Now it's just PP recharge. Don't need to buy healing items, don't need to buy stat boost items, don't need to buy traps etc.

Fortetecher is by far the cheapest
then you have to work your way up the chain
Guntecher is prolly next- again no healing items or working on weapon percents, but they have traps
fortegunner- healing items, and traps, but no weapon percents
wartecher- no healing items, no traps, but weapon percents are expensive
fortefighter- must have weapon percents. Their only other option is level 10 bullets, hardly an option. Plus healing items and buff items.
fighgunner/protranser- must have weapon percents for melee, both have ranged option too. Traps, healing items, and buff items. These two classes have more in common than people give them credit for. The traps protransers have at the moment are no more expensive than figh traps, just more selection. These two classes have the exact same costs, one is just heavy weapons, one is light weapons

THE JACKEL

The_Pew
Jul 31, 2007, 02:48 AM
I don't have much experience with PSU yet, but from what I can gather Protranser looks to be the most expensive. I would think the cost of traps would eventually catch up to you.

SarinSerafi
Jul 31, 2007, 03:57 AM
If you play the job to its maximum potential and utilize all of its abilities, then yes, Protranser can be the most expensive. Gathering 44-50% armor and weapons, multiple +10 guns/bows, and keeping all traps on you at all times on top of healing items, PP recharges and units to help you hit harder/conserve PP/whatever you choose can all be very pricey.

But the majority of Protransers I've partied with and know don't do all of that. They at most only use axes and spears, a grenade launcher, bows, and shotgun, and only use burn or virus traps. Their weapon selection may change, but they basically use the minimum to get by, because it really isn't necessary to carry every single weapon type they can use. They're usually in a party setting, where you have the strength of 5 other people also doing damage and supporting and etc. In turn, your traps may not be all that necessary all the time, you don't have to use too many PA's to kill enemies or get hit too often because someone else is tanking them with you, and in the end, these protransers see that they don't necessarily HAVE to get 44-50% elemental everything and +10 ranged weapons. They can make do with 20-30% and +6 weapons.

Really, it depends on how "serious" you take your job class and role on the game, and that determines how expensive your class can get. Fortefighters can get by with NPC armor or 20-ish% armors and weapons, and on top of that, only carry a few (like just spears, sabers and twin daggers) for example. Especially if they just party a lot.

In contrast, I've seen some Fortetchers all decked out with multiple S-ranks, 44-50% 9* armors of all elements, multiple head, arm and body units (both A and B rank ones like Me/Quick, Har/Quick, Tero/Legs, Burn/Resist, Solid/Power S, etc) and lots of +10 9* wands, cards, rods and bows. That stuff doesn't come cheap either.

Jakosifer
Jul 31, 2007, 04:06 AM
Protranser by far...Then again Ive only played Figh and Protranser, so I wouldn't know about the other classes anyway.

landman
Jul 31, 2007, 04:55 AM
As a Protranser I can switch to bows and shotguns and use them in all the mission, I only need the bullet leveled enough, as a Fortefighter I need great weapons of every element, and lots of them, if you ask me what is a melee fighter that doesn't use photon arts I can only say he is a noob, and you can carry 40 weapons in every fight or you can spend lots of rechargers in every mission. I vote fortefighter and any class that fights, but FF can only fight

Mystil
Jul 31, 2007, 08:48 AM
On 2007-07-30 23:39, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
I'm a force, I synth 4 rods, wand, card, bow. I'm set. Now it's just PP recharge. Don't need to buy healing items, don't need to buy stat boost items, don't need to buy traps etc.

THE JACKEL

Yes and No. It can get RIDICULOUSLY expensive if you go 30/30 with an FT. That means buying bows and cards and all thier respective PAs.

panzer_unit
Jul 31, 2007, 09:42 AM
On 2007-07-31 02:55, landman wrote:
if you ask me what is a melee fighter that doesn't use photon arts I can only say he is a noob, and you can carry 40 weapons in every fight or you can spend lots of rechargers in every mission. I vote fortefighter and any class that fights, but FF can only fight

I go through weapons WAY faster as a protranser than as a fortefighter. It's when PT has to pull out a situational weapon and use it until the situation goes away (lasers, grenades, specific melee situations) they're usually blowing photon charges when a forte wouldn't. That's the big difference in expense for that class IMO.

ljkkjlcm9
Jul 31, 2007, 10:44 AM
On 2007-07-31 06:48, Mystil wrote:

On 2007-07-30 23:39, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

THE JACKEL

Yes and No. It can get RIDICULOUSLY expensive if you go 30/30 with an FT. That means buying bows and cards and all thier respective PAs.

Yeah? Well you buy those bow and card PAs, techs, and can use them on any card, bow, or wand/rod. A melee fighter has to buy their PA, but then has to make 6 different elements of that weapon to be considered any good. And the element has to be at LEAST 20% or people criticize.
I'm sorry, but the cost of PAs is minuscule compared to the cost of synthing high percent weapons.
and every class has to buy PAs anyways

THE JACKEL

chibiLegolas
Jul 31, 2007, 11:34 AM
On 2007-07-31 01:57, SarinSerafi wrote:
But the majority of Protransers I've partied with and know don't do all of that. They at most only use axes and spears, a grenade launcher, bows, and shotgun, and only use burn or virus traps. Their weapon selection may change, but they basically use the minimum to get by, because it really isn't necessary to carry every single weapon type they can use. They're usually in a party setting, where you have the strength of 5 other people also doing damage and supporting and etc. In turn, your traps may not be all that necessary all the time, you don't have to use too many PA's to kill enemies or get hit too often because someone else is tanking them with you, and in the end, these protransers see that they don't necessarily HAVE to get 44-50% elemental everything and +10 ranged weapons. They can make do with 20-30% and +6 weapons.

Really, it depends on how "serious" you take your job class and role on the game, and that determines how expensive your class can get. Fortefighters can get by with NPC armor or 20-ish% armors and weapons, and on top of that, only carry a few (like just spears, sabers and twin daggers) for example. Especially if they just party a lot.

Hmm... True, fighters CAN get by with NPC armors.
But my train of thought was that you can apply this train of thought with every other class as well. But it's IMPORTANT for fighters to get better armor compared to gunners and techers.

As for carry'n a limited palette to reduce costs, I can see that working for multi-classes, but not for FF. Like you've mentioned before, PT's generally use axes and spears, a grenade launcher, bows, and shotgun. But what about the FF? Out of the 36 PA slots, what's a FF gonna learn? I'd imagine a whole lot more skills than bullets. And we're right back to the expenses of synth good melee weapons to go with those skills.

Yes, I can see going trap crazy being loads of fun, but exessive at the same time. But I can see the lack of PP regen taking a tole on the PT.
But then again, I've never played a FF nor PT, so I'd respect all of you PT's out there with your experiences and take your word for it.

What I CAN say is that FT's are probably the cheapest class. (others have stated why already in this thread). And GT's are close behind them.
IMO, GT's are less in a possition to go trap crazy like FoG. And GT's tech side (currently) can easily be substituted by grinded C/B rank wands for buffs/debuffs and heal/reverser. Unless you want to spend more $ on higher rank wands JUST for heals.

And FoG's need to depend more on heal/buff items. Though I can't imagine the expenses between a FoG and GT to be too far apart.

jayster
Jul 31, 2007, 11:41 AM
Try buying a S rank gun. Besides the meteor cannon. Cheapest you can get is about 10+ million.