PDA

View Full Version : PSU runs for shit.

Uncle_bob
Jul 31, 2007, 01:21 AM
Why is it that I can play a game like Half-Life 2 with full graphics and effects with no slowdown at all while I can no longer play PSU without horrible slowdown even with all graphics set to "low"?

What the fuck, Sega? It wasn't running that bad until your last little update. What the fuck did you guys do?

VanHalen
Jul 31, 2007, 01:27 AM
Uncle we have the same problem http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Except for awhile after a couple of updates and hardware problems, PSU became unplayable unless I have an AC near my laptop. And then I'd still get too much slowdown and d/c.

I kinda fixed it now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Uncle_bob
Jul 31, 2007, 01:34 AM
I'm fixing it too; I ordered new computer parts.

PSO:BB was the same way. Episode 1 ran alright, but Episodes 2 and 4..ugh. Computer just about died.

Mystil
Jul 31, 2007, 07:17 AM
What are your settings? To minimize slowdown to just a few tight area,s have the clipping fields all on "near".

Motion calculation should be on CPU and not hardware if on a low end card. Detail setting should be in the middle.

The "low" setting doesn't do what you think it does. If you want to correct some issues you have to play around with the custom options.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jul 31, 2007, 10:23 AM
I find that the most effective way to combat slowdown is to adjust the frameskip, though turning on MIPMAP and turning off Anisotropic filtering goes a long way, as well.

DikkyRay
Jul 31, 2007, 10:27 AM
Hmm. My slowdown was the same, whether at 2 frameskip or 3.
'll have to try the graphics thing though. The onlly slowdoan i really have is while moving in a mission.

Feelmirath
Jul 31, 2007, 10:53 AM
On 2007-07-31 08:23, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I find that the most effective way to combat slowdown is to adjust the frameskip, though turning on MIPMAP and turning off Anisotropic filtering goes a long way, as well.

Wait, turning ON MIPMAP helps? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feelmirath on 2007-07-31 08:53 ]</font>

RedX
Jul 31, 2007, 12:39 PM
What proally the probem is the you have the new Aniotrpic filtering on and Mipmap on.

Powder Keg
Jul 31, 2007, 01:07 PM
I might get a new PC early next year. Mine is from 2004 and it still runs ok, but I don't think I'm going to wait for it to die.

Blitzkommando
Jul 31, 2007, 04:09 PM
Wow, so they finally added Anisotropic Filtering? I've been forcing that with video drivers since... PSU came out.

I finally played it again and noticed they also added additional sound options. Finally hardware accelerated sound. Works great forced to hardware with ALchemy in Vista.

Still, I didn't make it to any 'tasking' areas to see if it chokes up but seeing as it did before I'd say there's no hardware on the market that could make PSU a perfectly stutter-free environment. I mean, seriously, I'm on a 13mbps/768kbps connection with a sub-200 ping on servers on the opposite side of the planet, running a machine more powerful than Deep Blue and yet I can't run PSU decently? I remember playing a bit of PSO PC and the same thing would happen, even at the horrible 640x480 resolution that is forced by PSO PC, and that was offline! People complain about how Oblivion and Stalker are poorly coded, but at least if you counterbalance the poor coding with powerful hardware they run great. With PSU it doesn't matter what hardware, or settings, you choose it still finds a way to get FUBAR.

DurakkenX
Jul 31, 2007, 05:43 PM
Ummm I run at max setting and i don't have any problems less i force things via my card or try to record. I run with 1frame skip because it actually makes you run quicker, but my Pc runs fine with 0frame skip...I don't have a particularly powerful system either...

however, i do have sound problems in certain areas...which seems to have more to do with the area than the sound itself. Also Every so often things load up wrong causing weird effects, but it doesn't lag...it's a glitch that's not caused by the hardware but by the software.

Otis_Kat
Jul 31, 2007, 08:05 PM
For some reason I can't play with post effects on, no matter what I do. All weapons look like solid shades of shit now.

Uncle_bob
Jul 31, 2007, 09:46 PM
On 2007-07-31 15:43, DurakkenX wrote:
Ummm I run at max setting and i don't have any problems less i force things via my card or try to record. I run with 1frame skip because it actually makes you run quicker, but my Pc runs fine with 0frame skip...I don't have a particularly powerful system either...

Okay.

Skuda
Aug 1, 2007, 03:37 AM
On 2007-07-31 08:53, Feelmirath wrote:

On 2007-07-31 08:23, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

Wait, turning ON MIPMAP helps? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feelmirath on 2007-07-31 08:53 ]</font>

Mipmapping is very useful. summarized, It lowers the level of detail of a game texture the further away you are from it.

I always keep it on. P:

Mayu
Aug 1, 2007, 08:46 AM
<.< In some area's when I had mipmap on

It was 100% performance

Then I got to well

hmmm.... Sealabs - It just went to 100% from 5% lagin so bad <.< -.-

<.<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryuugu-Rena on 2007-08-01 06:46 ]</font>

SStrikerR
Aug 5, 2007, 01:12 AM
there was a game i used to play online (runescape), but now i dont play anymore for 2 reasons, 1-it got boring, 2-an update a month ago made the lag so bad, and before that it just was steadily getting worse, it was just dumb.