PDA

View Full Version : 360 and low frame rate...

AlphaMinotaux
Aug 1, 2007, 05:06 PM
Is my xbox about to die or is the game really that slow when the party is full and people are spamming thier PA's.

The frame rate drops to like 50% of the speed it regularly is and thats really bad : / I can't play with such low frame rate imo. So is it just me or everyone like this?

Jaspaller
Aug 1, 2007, 05:10 PM
It's SEGA's terrible programming. You'll just have to live with it until the expansion (in which they HOPEFULLY fix these slowdown issues)

Phetty
Aug 1, 2007, 06:50 PM
I dont have that problem. Only on things like HSM in the temple.

BanF
Aug 1, 2007, 06:59 PM
I only ever see frame rate drops when I take down trees on Parum. About the only other time I ever saw framerate drop was during FB, everyone spamming PAs in Parum while wearing the fire aura. Otherwise, it runs smooth as silk.

AlphaMinotaux
Aug 1, 2007, 07:02 PM
On 2007-08-01 16:50, Phetty wrote:
I dont have that problem. Only on things like HSM in the temple.

So your saying you never notice a change in the frame rate in a party of 2 compared to a party of 6...

50% may be an exxagerration but not far from it at times.

AlphaMinotaux
Aug 1, 2007, 07:04 PM
actually i got some video capture hardware, ill record myself in a party of 6 and ill show u what i mean. my xbox runs perfectly in other game so i clueless as to why yours run fine while mine slows down.

HyperShot-X-
Aug 1, 2007, 08:08 PM
apparently there is noticible difference in slow down in a full party of 6 compared to only 2 or 3. That's the price u pay for being in a full game. When u get tired of such slow downs, try soloing Sleeping Warrior with ur PM only and have a blast running thru it in 60 fps with no slow down, that's what i do quite often. I recommend this to Hunter/Fighters especially. You should take on a low rank mission w/ creature lvls much lower than ur main char, so u can finish the run no longer than about 20 mins.

PSU AOI X360 would be unstoppable only if Sega would improve this slow down issue and if they add in-game screen capture function hopefully. That's the only 2 things i ever wish on expansion really.

-Tidus_415-
Aug 1, 2007, 08:51 PM
Yes there is very little slowdown at times on the 360. But dont complain. It is MUCH worse on the PS2 version. Be happy your not on that.

KidoKresh
Aug 1, 2007, 09:45 PM
I get that problem when there is a lot of ppl spamming the the same msg.

Kent
Aug 2, 2007, 04:13 AM
The slowdown issue is caused mostly by the effects used for events such as when trees are cut down (the particle effect), lots of flashy PAs used on-screen at once, or certain cut-in chat messages. On the PC version, I also noticed quite a lot of slowdown in areas with lots of trees as the environment, such as the beginning missions on Parum, and Mizuraki Defense.

I think a lot of it has to do with how the game processes alpha channels, and how much Sonic Team failed at making it any semblance of efficient. :/

By all means, a game of this level of graphical quality should run perfectly on a 360, with no slowdown at all. However, because the game was (badly) programmed initially for the PlayStation 2, then (badly) ported over to the PC and the Xbox 360... The result is inefficient code, and you essentially have the Xbox 360 poorly emulating a poorly-programmed PS2 game.

APEXi
Aug 2, 2007, 06:08 AM
yeah its just not very well programmed. but yes, i too, experience the slowdown. the more people the less fps.

majan
Aug 2, 2007, 11:36 AM
On 2007-08-01 15:06, AlphaMinotaux wrote:
Is my xbox about to die or is the game really that slow when the party is full and people are spamming thier PA's.

The frame rate drops to like 50% of the speed it regularly is and thats really bad : / I can't play with such low frame rate imo. So is it just me or everyone like this?

no it isnt your xbox that's about to die and its not the 360's fault either...its sega's fault for porting a PS2 game straight to the xbox 360 which for all intents and purposes is 500 times more graphically capable than the ps2 obviously....but...they didnt tweak the graphics engine at all to better suit the 360.so this graphics engine is running in the 360 when it doesnt even scratch the surface of what it is capable of.it's shoddy,rushed-up software development by sega who didnt feel it would be worth it to merely fix up the graphics engine to better suit the superiorly graphically capable machine.

it's like putting a brand new driver in a souped-up cadillac.

Shardio
Aug 2, 2007, 11:38 AM
Get a better PC ... Oh wait.
Sucks to be a 360 player.

gundam0079
Aug 2, 2007, 11:47 AM
On 2007-08-01 18:51, -Tidus_415- wrote:
Yes there is very little slowdown at times on the 360. But dont complain. It is MUCH worse on the PS2 version. Be happy your not on that.

ahuh and your sayin the ps2 sucks, hmmmmmmm

Esufer
Aug 2, 2007, 11:50 AM
On 2007-08-02 09:38, Shardio wrote:
Get a better PC ... Oh wait.
Sucks to be a 360 player.

lol it shure duz!!!1

-Tidus_415-
Aug 2, 2007, 11:53 AM
Yes. That is exactly what im saying. I used to be in the PS2 version and Bruce's Dungeon was barely playable. I would have to press start and turn my camara facing the ground to be able to keep up with everyone else. Let me not even tell you how bad dulk falkis was too.

Shardio
Aug 2, 2007, 12:00 PM
For the record, I was just kidding. The 360 is a powerful console.
I was just making a small pun. I hope I didn't offend anyone.
And if I did... don't be a freaking pansy, it's not like I insulted your mother.

Esufer
Aug 2, 2007, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I know.

If anything, I'd put it down to something like it being a first generation xbox 360. They're not as effiecient as the later models, I'm probably rebuying mine when the new chip comes out near christmas. :]

Shardio
Aug 2, 2007, 12:34 PM
I have no clue about 360 really. I suppose mine's a first tier or something... seeing as it was purchased not too long after the release. I didn't know they had better ones now O_O
By the way, do a lot of these first tier 360's get problems? Mine seems to be fine...

Esufer
Aug 2, 2007, 12:38 PM
Meh, happens with all consoles. The 1st batch tend to suck epic ass after a while. It's just refinement of the technology, much like phones get updated and replaced without any major change.

But yes. If you're going to rebuy, I suggest an Xbox Elite around the christmas period.

Shardio
Aug 2, 2007, 12:42 PM
Who said anything about rebuy? XD It's still fine! It plays relatively new games well, too. (Sonic the Hedgehog >.>)
The name Xbox Elite says: 'The gamer status of 'Casual' is not allowed to play on this console' O_O
Did the Wii receive a similar hardware upgrade? Just asking, since I got mine not too long ago.

Esufer
Aug 2, 2007, 01:22 PM
On 2007-08-02 10:42, Shardio wrote:
Who said anything about rebuy? XD It's still fine! It plays relatively new games well, too. (Sonic the Hedgehog >.>)
The name Xbox Elite says: 'The gamer status of 'Casual' is not allowed to play on this console' O_O
Did the Wii receive a similar hardware upgrade? Just asking, since I got mine not too long ago.

Not a clue. Nintendo seem to get things right first time, as far as I know. Sony & Microsoft though.. not such a hot track record.

Arcturus_
Aug 2, 2007, 01:51 PM
On 2007-08-02 10:38, Esufer wrote:
If you're going to rebuy, I suggest an Xbox Elite around the christmas period.

Wait for the 65nm chip-based systems to start shipping; anything else is just a warranty claim waiting to happen. This could happen within the next few months, but no one knows for sure.

Esufer
Aug 2, 2007, 02:01 PM
I heard Christmas from Parn, so that's what I'm saying.

DreamLocke
Aug 2, 2007, 09:03 PM
It's not your 360; I just got my third xbox ( http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif ) a couple of months ago and it still slows down. I've noticed it almost always slows down on the part in HSM with the gates/three switches in the temple.

Hopefully ST will fix this. It's not gamebreaking, but annoying a game not pushing the hardware whatsoever has this problem. Crap, there's Live Arcade games coming out with better graphics that PSU.

Natasha_M
Aug 3, 2007, 12:22 AM
Its the programming and the fact that sega doesn't seem to be able to take the power of 360 to its full advantage. So until they are more familiar with programming on 360 for performance wise. PSU will lag on 360. Since games are mainly designed on a computer environment, its no wonder the PC version runs smooth as silk especailly on a averagly good PC, don't even need the latest hot rod to run PSU in quality performance. 6 players .. full spaming PA in the presence of a huge mob i've seen no slow downs on my PC version with just a Geforce 7300 which is a video card outdated by over a year old.

It might be a different story though if microsoft developers themselves sent in to join sega on the developement on the PSU 360 version.. things could be magic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Natasha_M on 2007-08-02 22:23 ]</font>

bloodflowers
Aug 3, 2007, 09:37 AM
360 has a triple core CPU. I would guess PSU is a dirty port from the other versions, and that two cores are sat there idle. Yes, the 360 version slows down all the time. With 6 people it hardly ever sustains 60fps, although it's very scrappy and doesn't instantly slow to matrix bullet speed except in certain places (HSM).

Some people notice slowdown more than others. I can tell the difference between 60 and 50, which both look smooth. Some people can't tell 30 from 60, even though if you showed them the two side by side, the difference is night and day.

I hope they do improve it for the expansion. Realtime shadows (is that still coming?) just sounds like yet another straw on the camels back.

Shardio
Aug 3, 2007, 10:10 AM
On 2007-08-02 11:51, Arcturus_ wrote:

On 2007-08-02 10:38, Esufer wrote:
If you're going to rebuy, I suggest an Xbox Elite around the christmas period.

Wait for the 65nm chip-based systems to start shipping; anything else is just a warranty claim waiting to happen. This could happen within the next few months, but no one knows for sure.

Why not wait for the next-gen Xbox? XD
I think these upgrades are overrated, as the games will still be designed for the lowest-tier consoles.

MrNomad
Aug 3, 2007, 11:11 AM
Thats what I love about the PSU PC: Always performs the best out of the other consoles, and most convenient http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Akaimizu
Aug 3, 2007, 11:13 AM
Not really. You need a good enough PC to perform the best. And that PC is better than the one I have. However, it makes no sense. PSU should never need that much hardware to do what it does. It's just not optimized all around.

BahnKnakyu
Aug 3, 2007, 11:15 AM
PC users - If you want to simulate this slowdown, have a relatively decent video card and switch to FS 0. Basically, PSU was coded in a way such that there's no such thing as AUTO frame skipping. If you set it at FS 0, the PC/console will try to render EVERY SINGLE FRAME without skipping frames, even if it is at the cost of your gameplay. The XCrate 360 version is permanently set at FS 0, so it'll try to render 60 FPS no matter what's happening on the screen.

Akaimizu
Aug 3, 2007, 11:19 AM
You get the slowdown just by having an Nvidia 7600GS video card, an Atholon XP 2800, and 1 Gigabyte of Ram, without changing anything. Now as good as that setup can run Titan's Quest at full settings, to struggle with PSU is well.....just funny.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-08-03 09:19 ]</font>

Duke
Aug 3, 2007, 03:46 PM
So is this framereate problem common in PSU in most 360's or just his and if his is about to die wouldn't he see the three rings of death

TheLOLBandit
Aug 3, 2007, 03:55 PM
honestly ive NEVER had any slow frame rate while i play

Arcturus_
Aug 3, 2007, 05:27 PM
On 2007-08-03 08:10, Shardio wrote:
Why not wait for the next-gen Xbox? XD
I think these upgrades are overrated, as the games will still be designed for the lowest-tier consoles.

These upgrades are about console RELIABILITY and have nothing to do with games directly. The newer chips will consume less power while producing less heat, and will also force a new motherboard design, all of which should allow the system to survive for more than the present 10-12 months.

A2K
Aug 3, 2007, 05:34 PM
On 2007-08-03 13:46, Duke wrote:
So is this framereate problem common in PSU in most 360's or just his and if his is about to die wouldn't he see the three rings of death

Everyone gets it in larger parties, regardless of the condition of his or her Xbox 360; it's probably apt to say people have varying levels of tolerance for it.

Parn
Aug 3, 2007, 05:38 PM
For the folks who hate it so much, it really came down to two things:

1. PSU doesn't ship for Xbox 360

or

2. PSU PC is ported to 360 at the last minute since it wasn't considered originally, gets a few tweaks, and ships

Naturally, we got #2. Given the choices between the two situations, I think we got the better end of the stick.

BahnKnakyu
Aug 4, 2007, 02:25 AM
On 2007-08-03 15:38, Parn wrote:
2. PSU PC is ported to 360 at the last minute since it wasn't considered originally, gets a few tweaks, and ships

Naturally, we got #2. Given the choices between the two situations, I think we got the better end of the stick.

Problem here is, this makes big parties with fTs that cause lots of flashies and whatnot rather difficult to have. You essentially move slower and get less game done because you're going in bulletime due to your party. So you either play at a slower framerate, or play with fewer members, which essentially slows you down because of those missing members.

Auto frameskip is not hard to implement into a game, it's been in games since the dawn of time, so I don't understand how PSU doesn't have such an option, and why Xbox360 users have no control over it either. Hopefully this technical downfall will be remedied in AoI.

Shardio
Aug 4, 2007, 03:05 AM
On 2007-08-03 09:15, BahnKnakyu wrote:
PC users - If you want to simulate this slowdown, have a relatively decent video card and switch to FS 0. Basically, PSU was coded in a way such that there's no such thing as AUTO frame skipping. If you set it at FS 0, the PC/console will try to render EVERY SINGLE FRAME without skipping frames, even if it is at the cost of your gameplay. The XCrate 360 version is permanently set at FS 0, so it'll try to render 60 FPS no matter what's happening on the screen.

That can't be right! I'm always playing at FP 0... No slowdown whatsoever. And it's not like my PC is THAT good either: I'm using a GeForce 7950 GT http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Also, maybe it's not really that big of a problem? Unless you're playing one of the not-so-many timed missions of course. I for one would actually like to play in slo-mo sometimes XD Kinda like the Matrix.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shardio on 2007-08-04 01:09 ]</font>

BahnKnakyu
Aug 10, 2007, 11:07 AM
On 2007-08-04 01:05, Shardio wrote:
That can't be right! I'm always playing at FP 0... No slowdown whatsoever. And it's not like my PC is THAT good either: I'm using a GeForce 7950 GT http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

A GeForce 7950 GT is a high end graphics card. Don't let the fact that there are 8xxx cards fool you. They're generally just DX10 versions of the same cards we have right now. You can run at FS 0 fine because you have a good card. Up the resolution to something high if you want to experience the slowdown.

Duke
Aug 10, 2007, 11:24 AM
Ha you guys are lucky I didn't want to waste time buying any high rate graphics card, now I regret it . Now i'm using a useless Ati X1050

Duke
Aug 10, 2007, 11:26 AM
I'm playing the 360 version right now and I guess it's best to switch over to the pc, but only if you have the best requirements, and is there any chance that PSU works on windows vista?