PDA

View Full Version : shotgun and crossbow

jayster
Aug 2, 2007, 11:38 AM
Shotgun and crossbow are very simular. Should I even bother using both or should I just concentrate on one?

panzer_unit
Aug 2, 2007, 11:44 AM
Popular opinion is that Crossbow's superior... SE level, rate of fire, and mobility. Only characters with Protranser on their resume should get the full set of shotgun skills, since Crossbow doesn't carry over to that job.

On the other hand, Crossbows really need skills at level 21+. Shotguns are way more effective at lower skill levels, and have higher PP capacity + regeneration besides.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: panzer_unit on 2007-08-02 09:46 ]</font>

Ashkahn
Aug 2, 2007, 11:44 AM
If you've already got a one-handed blade, then there's no reason why you shouldn't swap out a handgun for a crossbow. Crossbow's a solid choice for fighting up-close and personal, but the shotgun gets more power from having more shots.

Mostly just depends on your combat style.

60Hz
Aug 2, 2007, 12:02 PM
xbow - the ultimate pa is one of the best in the game, especially if you solo - it's the solo-ers weapon of choice.

if you play mostly in groups then perhaps shotgun is the way for you, or if you plan on doing Protranser, you really have no choice lol...

Ice and Dark should be your 1st elements for either weap, ultimate pa for xbow as well.

Both xbows and shotguns actually level quicker the higher you go because of the additional shot.

amtalx
Aug 2, 2007, 12:06 PM
I have capped my bullets for both and they both have their advantages. Use Xbows for SE and DPS. Use shotguns for small mobs and creatures with multiple hitpoints. Bear in mind that after AoI, the uber rare Shotguns will probably outdamage Xbows since fG will still be limited to Cugo Mambas/Dunga set (unless they add more A rank Xbows, who knows).

panzer_unit
Aug 2, 2007, 12:16 PM
Any new A-rank crossbows are going to be less powerful than the ones out already. They're Tenora.

ChyronType0
Aug 2, 2007, 12:51 PM
Both

Shardio
Aug 2, 2007, 12:54 PM
On 2007-08-02 10:51, ChyronType0 wrote:
Both

Agreed. Just get both and give them a try. There's nothing like personal experience! Keep the one you like best http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Davot
Aug 2, 2007, 12:56 PM
On 2007-08-02 10:06, amtalx wrote:
I have capped my bullets for both and they both have their advantages. Use Xbows for SE and DPS. Use shotguns for small mobs and creatures with multiple hitpoints. Bear in mind that after AoI, the uber rare Shotguns will probably outdamage Xbows since fG will still be limited to Cugo Mambas/Dunga set (unless they add more A rank Xbows, who knows).

i solo and they are a piece of shit to me

Golto
Aug 2, 2007, 12:58 PM
Solo crossbow hands down. In a group shotgun does have higher damage per pp usage. Shotguns are easier to level also.

Cz
Aug 2, 2007, 02:08 PM
i use both. I use crossbow to infect the enemies, then I switch to shotty and finish them up quicker. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Kuya
Aug 2, 2007, 03:46 PM
You know, I totally forgot about the whole fG gets A crossbows and S shotguns :T
Anyone have any recommendations on elements? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

MSAksion
Aug 2, 2007, 03:57 PM
SHOTGUNS - Use on small tiny enemies in large numbers. Ageeta, Koltova, Navals etc etc. Level 2 Status doesn't affect large enemies anyway. And weaker enemies have lower stamina and lower HP and Defense, and a shotgun up close tears them a new one. Also its pretty safe to use a shottie againest these small monsters verses say a JARBA or a Kamatoze.

Recommend - CONFUSE, SHOCK, and VIRUS Shotguns to affect small to medium enemies reliably - Navals, Ageeta, Koltova, etc etc

CROSSBOWS - Are excellent Damage Per Second Guns. At level 21 the 3 bullets does close to the damage of a 5 burst shotgun. But the Status 3 and 3 bolts means that you have 3 chances to effectively SHOCK, SILENCE, or my personal favorite - BURN. Its like an unlimited supply of BURN TRAP G's. Plus I carry a RISING STRIKE Frying Pan to launch enemies if they're gonna Super-Barta me.

Recommend BURN, FREEZE, and SILENCE Crossbows for Maximum effectivness against most common threats = Vanda, Olgohmon, Vahra... the ones that are tough or the ones that are mobile.

Kuya
Aug 2, 2007, 04:22 PM
lol - I should have said that I've already got crossbows fire/ice at 21+ http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Might even go all elements lol.
Shotguns - I guess I can look into light and plasma since I've got DoT on my rifles and xbow (dark will come whenever lol) Thanks :3

amtalx
Aug 2, 2007, 06:22 PM
On 2007-08-02 10:16, panzer_unit wrote:
Any new A-rank crossbows are going to be less powerful than the ones out already. They're Tenora.

What's to stop them from throwing more Tenora at us? or another set? PSO had TONS of the same type of weapons with identical star rating (e.g. there were nine 10* rifles) I'm keeping my mind open for AoI. Probably.

Shiryuu
Aug 2, 2007, 07:29 PM
On 2007-08-02 16:22, amtalx wrote:

On 2007-08-02 10:16, panzer_unit wrote:

What's to stop them from throwing more Tenora at us? or another set? PSO had TONS of the same type of weapons with identical star rating (e.g. there were nine 10* rifles) I'm keeping my mind open for AoI. Probably.

Also, B rank Tenora knuckles are crap compared to the other companies. So, it's possible GRM/Yohmei xbows wil be better.

Golto
Aug 2, 2007, 07:50 PM
If they do make grm crossbows their atp won't be that much lower and the pp increase would make up for the lesser atp. Especially since the majority of damage done with crossbows is with your character's atp. The only thing to make the tenora xbows better than grm xbows is how grinding will be made more difficult to get to +10.

Some people might have not noticed the differences in shotgun vs xbow elemental pas.

lvl 21+ shotgun elemental pas have +15% to atp and +10% to ata higher than the equivalent xbow elemental pa. Xbow elemental pas do get 2% more to element percent.

So lets compare damages using a lvl 90 char using a solid/power s.

Using ungrinded 9* shotgun vs 9* xbow.

shotgun using lvl 30 ice against fire monsters
((869+108)*1.60))*1.13)= 1766 atp per bullet

xbow using lvl 30 ice against fire monsters
((869+297)*1.45))*1.15) = 1944 atp per bullet

So xbow would do roughly 36 more damage per bullet *but* shotguns get 2 more bullets. Against lvl 100+ monsters with normal defense you would be doing around 300 per xbow hit and 264 per shotgun hit.

300*3= 900 damage w/ xbow
264 * 5 = 1320 damage w/ shotgun

Gen2000
Aug 2, 2007, 11:03 PM
Then you factor in you can fire about 2 Xbow shots in the time it takes one Shotgun shot to go through it's full "shot & pump action reload" animation and in the end Xbow is still better. Even more so when you throw in the extremely powerful Yak Zagenga PA or just the mobility you get with them.

amtalx
Aug 2, 2007, 11:26 PM
Yea, I have to say, those calculations are pretty sloppy. Cugo Mamba kills faster than Shigga Bines. If you grind them, the difference only becomes more apparent because Shotguns grind horribly. You also have to take into account that Shotguns can rarely be fired without interruption. You need to readjust when the enemy moves. Xbows don't require much readjustment, or any at all depending on the enemy.