PDA

View Full Version : Voices in Ambition of Illumnus

Pentence
Aug 3, 2007, 12:48 AM
Well i was thinking that since this is a second go at PSU will they stick with the vas from the first games for the english version as well? Or get new vas possiably.ALso if the old ones do return ya think that they might do better a second time around?Or no?

EDIT:Also its not that i dont like the english VAs but i think they could do better,please dont misread what i stated.

Lastly who would love an option sega has neglected from us with psu YET added to the old sonic adventure games,the ability to switch from english to japanese voices(subtitles were included in the sonic games also).I always play sonic adventure 2 with the japanese voices on who else would love to see this feature in a PSU game?

EDIT:Ok i doubled check this with my OWN(i play ps2 n yes it was anoying) psu disc.Aparently there are BOTH sound tracks on the disc so realy its only a matter of adding the code.I think we should ask sega via patition or otherwise to put in the option for both tracks.If we let them know what the english speaking players want ahead of time before they finilize the english ver of the game we might succed.After all we do pay their checks dont we.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pentence on 2007-08-03 16:35 ]</font>

Mayu
Aug 3, 2007, 12:52 AM
Now that would be nice http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Kion
Aug 3, 2007, 12:54 AM
I would also like to see this feature. With all of the content that they're putting in there may only be space for one voice track, but I would prefer it to be Japanese because it sounds more natural. Unfortinately because they're localizing it i expect to see english only (unfortunately, T.T)

Sasamichan
Aug 3, 2007, 04:19 AM
On 2007-08-02 22:54, Kion wrote:
but I would prefer it to be Japanese because it sounds more natural.

Sound more natural? Take a look at the JP version of DBZ, you got Goku sounding like a small child and Piccolo sounds like an old fart. You think thats very "natural"?

Anyways, I hope they do use the same cast in AoI.

landman
Aug 3, 2007, 05:29 AM
That's why I buy and play both japanese ans english versions of some games, PSU included

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 3, 2007, 06:37 AM
On 2007-08-03 02:19, Sasamichan wrote:

On 2007-08-02 22:54, Kion wrote:
but I would prefer it to be Japanese because it sounds more natural.

Sound more natural? Take a look at the JP version of DBZ, you got Goku sounding like a small child and Piccolo sounds like an old fart. You think thats very "natural"?

Anyways, I hope they do use the same cast in AoI.

Take a look at the Japanese versions of every other anime out there and you would see that in most cases, the Japanese voices sound more natural. I would admit that there are some animes in which the English dubbers did a good job such as in Hellsing or Samurai 7, but in others, the English dubbing really sucks, such as Bleach or Naruto. And yeah, I hope we at least get the option to choose Japanese voices.

Sinue_v2
Aug 3, 2007, 07:58 AM
Take a look at the Japanese versions of every other anime out there and you would see that in most cases, the Japanese voices sound more natural.

It's like that with all media, not just Anime. Ever watch a Star Trek or Family Guy episode in French or Spanish? Yeah, they're VA's suck pretty horribly most of the time.

As for weither or not Sega will hire new VA's, I doubt it - unless some of the previous VA actors decided to turn the offer down. There's no real reason to break the continuity. It wasn't so much that the VA's in PSU were bad - it's that they had bad directing. There was no motivation given, no background to the characters, and no time to really prepare. When they went in there, they were basically given just a short description of the character and their lines. I'd say they did rather admirably considering the circumstance.

There's a thread around here somewhere which was posted just after PSU first launched, in which the VA for Megashi came in to leave his comments and explained the process Sega went through. I don't expect this process to change, and I doubt the VA's who played their roles have even bothered to pick up PSU - let alone look deeper at the motivations, personalities, and reasonings behind the characters. It's just a job to them, after all. And since I doubt Sega has revised it's VA direction proceedure - I don't expect the VA work to be any better this time around.

Also, don't hope for JP voice options on AoI. It's amazing they're already getting that much content on the disk as it is. I don't think they really have the room for all those extra audio files.

Edit: Found the link with Brian Sommer.
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=126015&forum=20&start=20

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-08-03 06:03 ]</font>

ulyoth
Aug 3, 2007, 08:47 AM
http://www.briansommer.com/credits_games.html
If you look at this page it has PSU listed twice, the one nearest the top has him voiceing three characters.

Shardio
Aug 3, 2007, 10:31 AM
1) The VAs of PSU did not suck all that badly. You try being a VA. In fact, I challenge you to dub PSU better than the VAs did.
2) Changing VAs is too much effort. Plus, it wouldn't quite make sense if Ethan sounded entirely different. Unless he's a ROBOT in AotI!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif
3) Okay, the Japanese option is a good idea n_n Well, if they don't add it in, consider importing the Japanese version! It's usually cheaper than buying it in the store too.

Shardio
Aug 3, 2007, 10:35 AM
On 2007-08-03 05:58, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Also, don't hope for JP voice options on AoI. It's amazing they're already getting that much content on the disk as it is. I don't think they really have the room for all those extra audio files.

It was revealed on a certain site that the Japanese Voices can be unlocked through hacking, in the current version of PSU.
It is indeed unlikely the option will be added though, but the files are there.

Kylie
Aug 3, 2007, 10:40 AM
I'm content with my current voice, but there's always room for improvement. As for the voice actors for the story mode, I don't really care because I spend as little time as I can with story mode because it's so boring. Maybe better voices would make it les boring, though. =

Shardio
Aug 3, 2007, 10:42 AM
On 2007-08-03 08:40, Kylie wrote:
I'm content with my current voice, but there's always room for improvement. As for the voice actors for the story mode, I don't really care because I spend as little time as I can with story mode because it's so boring. Maybe better voices would make it les boring, though. =

Boo! Story mode FTW! D=

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 3, 2007, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't say that all voices in PSU were really so bad. Ethan's, Hyuga's, Leo's, and Rutsu's voices didn't really do them justice IMO, but the VAs for Magashi and Tonnio were pretty awesome to tell you the truth.

GuardianPoe
Aug 3, 2007, 11:19 AM
On 2007-08-03 08:42, Shardio wrote:

On 2007-08-03 08:40, Kylie wrote:

Boo! Story mode FTW! D=

The problem I personally had with story mode, it seemed like they used pretty much every variation of the level maps for each chapter, making everything take forever to complete.

Couple that with the fact that PA Charge cubes were few and far between, and I ended up running thin on regular attacks well before I was done.

Hopefully AoI's offline component will reasonably mirror the online stories, as they haven't generally been too bad (aside from that "Kill 100 bots on the train"... but mostly cause bots just suck. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif).

vfloresjr24
Aug 3, 2007, 11:23 AM
I would love to have the Japanese voices in the game. It give it a different feel of the game for me. Great idea.

Pentence
Aug 3, 2007, 11:25 AM
Well i never stated that the VAs sucked i just hoped they would do better.Honestly i wouldnt mind the english cast so long as they had more emotion in their voice acting.

Also for those who dont know,in the japanese ver there are voices for chars that ACTUALY say things.So we wouldactualy have neat phrases based on the voices we chose.So it wouldnt ONLY affect story mode as so many seem to think.

Also they have always had the japanese voices on the disks.So realy it would be a matter of adding code to alow a person to use them or not.I double checked this myself and its true they ARE there.

Lastly maybe we should ask sega to add this feature BEFORE they finish up codeing Illumnius for the english release.

DikkyRay
Aug 3, 2007, 11:27 AM
On 2007-08-03 08:31, Shardio wrote:
1) The VAs of PSU did not suck all that badly. You try being a VA. In fact, I challenge you to dub PSU better than the VAs did.
2) Changing VAs is too much effort. Plus, it wouldn't quite make sense if Ethan sounded entirely different. Unless he's a ROBOT in AotI!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif
3) Okay, the Japanese option is a good idea n_n Well, if they don't add it in, consider importing the Japanese version! It's usually cheaper than buying it in the store too.

I love you for what you say in 1 and 2

Meh, as long as they have a feature to toggle on English VAs and JP VAs, i could care less. I want my dub

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DikkyRay on 2007-08-03 09:27 ]</font>

Kion
Aug 3, 2007, 12:28 PM
Take a look at the Japanese versions of every other anime out there and you would see that in most cases, the Japanese voices sound more natural.

Yeah, it's not a matter of it being japanese or not, it's that it's being put in a language that it's not intended. I've seen American movies dubbed in other languages and they're horrible.

On 2007-08-03 09:25, Pentence wrote:
Also they have always had the japanese voices on the disks.So realy it would be a matter of adding code to alow a person to use them or not.I double checked this myself and its true they ARE there.

If the files for the voices are in there, then they should definately allow the option of using them.

MushiKuro
Aug 3, 2007, 01:18 PM
I like the VAs of PSU, i only hate the stupid sonds when you are in the battle(Sounds a little strange when you level-up and someone says "Ahaaaaaaaaaaa"), but i like to hear the Japanesse voices because they are cool and more "anime" to PSU.

I will hate if they change the VAs ò.ó(For Japanesse and English).

See ya!

X.X

Ffuzzy-Logik
Aug 3, 2007, 01:39 PM
1. The VA work was pretty good. Not Star Fox 64 quality, of course, but it was acceptable.
2. Japanese voices would be really stupid, unless you're one of the SUPER KAWAII JAPANOPHILE PEDOS ^___________^;;
3. This is POSW, so probably ~95% would fall into that category.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ffuzzy-Logik on 2007-08-03 11:40 ]</font>

Starrz
Aug 3, 2007, 02:23 PM
^ troof, weaboos

Para
Aug 3, 2007, 02:27 PM
I would love Japanese VAs with English subtitles... it would be like watching anime all over again XP

Nai_Calus
Aug 3, 2007, 02:58 PM
Except anime is occasionally actually good. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I dunno, I probably COULD do a better dubbing job, except there's some lines I'd never be able to get past due to the groaning/snickering. "I'll protect this world, Karen, because you're on it!" Urgggggh. (Nevermind that at the time they weren't ON a planet, and that there are three of them...)

Stupid little yells in the middle of fighting would annoy me. 'Die! Die! Die! Die! Die!' every damned time you cast a tech... X.o

I'd like a JP option, though, if only to find out what the voices sound like.

A2K
Aug 3, 2007, 05:45 PM
On 2007-08-03 08:35, Shardio wrote:

It was revealed on a certain site that the Japanese Voices can be unlocked through hacking, in the current version of PSU.
It is indeed unlikely the option will be added though, but the files are there.

Not true. The Japanese audio files are not present. The method used to play Japanese audio in the US versions of the game involve taking audio files from the Japanese version of PSU and replacing the English files in the game with them.

In any case, I would support having an option to choose between the two, if only to stem the tide of the constant whining that comes as a result of its absence (although I doubt it would ever stop completely).

Sinue_v2
Aug 3, 2007, 06:05 PM
Aye, and wasn't it PSOw's own John_F that came up with the way to swap those audio files between the JP and NA versions?

VanHalen
Aug 3, 2007, 06:12 PM
I think the only problems I have with the English VAs is when you leveled up in Story or Extra mode, the NPCs would make cavemen grunts. Also when CAST use their SUV, I think they should get a sentence when using that.

Duke
Aug 3, 2007, 06:15 PM
I do hope they change Ethan's voice in PSU because it souunded like he had a hernia.

Serephim
Aug 3, 2007, 07:34 PM
I said it once and ill say it again, I would HATE having japanese VOs in my PSU.

The grunts and laughs of the network characters are exceptional. I havent been annoyed by anyones voice while hearing it repetitivly, a feat that has only been accomplished by only one other game (Kingdom Hearts 2).

I cant stand hearing the japanese VOs SCREAM at me when i cast a spell. Every force would piss me off. They did the character voices perfect as they fit our Voice Acting "culture" down here in the Americas. We stopped making them shout lame phrases back in the 90s.

The Story mode VOs wernt PERFECT, but trust me this is sonic team and they could have done much worse. (Imagine 4kids + PSU. *shudder*) The Voice actors they got for this game were damn near perfect, the only problem is fitting the translations into the Japanese voice slots. It may be longer or shorter for someone to tell somebody off in English than in Japanese, which causes for lack of emphasis.

But if you ever beat story mode and listened to the Network description, the voice actors are extremely awesome when they have the ability to talk and not fit it into a slot.

Edit: Except for tonnio, his voice pissed me off.

in the network audio description, you can also sometimes tell that Karen's voice is a bit hard to keep up, as sometimes her voice sounds weird in fast continuous talk. Either that, or Karens voice was just a bit different to begin with. Im just glad they didn't give her that lame cliche Super-high-pitched "HI IM 9 YEARS OLD AND INNOCENT" voice that anime usually gives their characters.

Which is why i cant STAND most anime anymore.

I mean JEEZE people, you ask for the Japanese VOs when the english ones suck, not just because your a japan freak >>; . I would much rather good English VOs than just swiching to japanese. (Kingdom Hearts 2 in Japanese sucked hard. Anyone who disagrees needs to be pimp slapped.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-08-03 17:43 ]</font>

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Aug 4, 2007, 12:35 AM
I've played so many corny RPG's ....I just anticipate it. XD

-Tidus_415-
Aug 4, 2007, 01:49 AM
I cant stand japanese VO's in anything even if its good or bad. I dont care I hate it...

English VO's all the way!

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 4, 2007, 03:24 AM
I can just see morgan webb laughing at PSU AOI when it comes out here again...

Sinue_v2
Aug 4, 2007, 10:07 AM
On 2007-08-04 01:24, Jonathan_F wrote:
I can just see morgan webb laughing at PSU AOI when it comes out here again...

Meh, she gets laughed at every day. She is a mockery in and of herself, so whatever she has to say bad about any game shouldn't be taken with even an ounce of validity. She's just spewing out what the network monkeys give her to say.