PDA

View Full Version : warning: scammer

silverviper
Aug 3, 2007, 11:34 PM
Well I heard alot of ppl get scammed and I always think how stupid. Sure enough I had that moment where I believed the ppl on the game are moral and got scammed. He had a 22% Ice Bil De Axe to trade for
Ice Twin Bearclaws, and he said he got scammed in a trade window glitch. So I agreed to put item in shop for x amount, he would do the same and we message each other with the passwords for rooms. I knew it was fishy, but stupid me went for it anyway. So the best I can do now is let all of you know who he is and that he is a scammer.

Lvl 22 Beast Male Dark Hair White Clothing

Hope this helps some of you, don't be stupid like me; I have learned a valueable lesson at an expensive cost. Gave bad feedback, but if there is anything else I can do suggestions are welcome.

--
Mod edit: remove names

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2007-08-04 07:19 ]</font>

Rashiid
Aug 3, 2007, 11:38 PM
here too?

you act like we are completly helpless from scammers; were all smart here.

ljkkjlcm9
Aug 4, 2007, 12:03 AM
On 2007-08-03 21:38, Rashiid wrote:
here too?

you act like we are completly helpless from scammers; were all smart here.

that's kinda an ass comment

but either way we don't post other people's names on here, no matter what they've done

THE JACKEL

Rashiid
Aug 4, 2007, 12:20 AM
he posted this all over the official forums.

Pulpy
Aug 4, 2007, 12:31 AM
There is no trade window glitch. I'm surprised you fell for that man. You put your items in the trade window confirm them and finalize. The only way people are getting scammed out of items is when they're not paying attention when they finalize the trade. Wait on the finalize screen to see if the person is trying to screw you and if they try don't trade with them. There isn't anything wrong with the trade system in this game.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 4, 2007, 01:10 AM
Next time someone tells you something like that, loudly shout: "BULLSH**!" and kick his ass out of your party/room.

Mayu
Aug 4, 2007, 01:11 AM
Please don't say people's name

Thank you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Fure_Rakune
Aug 4, 2007, 01:15 AM
I dont understand why there should be secrecy when it comes to the sketchy people who try to con people out of things.
Thats like saying a serial killer is on the loose then immediately doing the daily forecast.

D1ABOLIK
Aug 4, 2007, 01:18 AM
On 2007-08-03 23:15, Fure_Rakune wrote:
I dont understand why there should be secrecy when it comes to the sketchy people who try to con people out of things.
Thats like saying a serial killer is on the loose then immediately doing the daily forecast.

I agree and i dont.I think these people should be named and the community should be aware.But this also opens the oppurtunity for people to get falsly accused,flame wars,etc,etc.And is overall bad for our community.

KamiSori
Aug 4, 2007, 01:39 AM
why dont you post players names, "no matter what they've done"? seems to me if someone is doing something shady others should be aware. it just seems to be the right thing to do. i mean, if i caught my neighbor stealing from anothers neighbors garage, i would sure as hell would warn my other neighbors, wouldnt you?

edit: ok i realize that its possible that one could abuse word-of-mouth and use it for slander but how often is that really going to be an issue? if for some reason someone gets blamed for something that didnt happen its only a matter of time before that lie is uncovered anyways. i just dont find that any justification to keep everyones mouths shut. wheres my freedom of speech damnit?!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KamiSori on 2007-08-03 23:43 ]</font>

Wallin
Aug 4, 2007, 03:31 AM
On 2007-08-03 23:39, KamiSori wrote:
wheres my freedom of speech damnit?!!

There's a reason you're not allowed to yell "fire" in a movie theater without just cause, and there's also a reason why posts with names are frowned upon. Example:

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=147188&forum=4&start=135&150#136
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=147188&forum=4&start=135&150#142

Every post about scammers are one-sided because unless you know the person who did it, you don't actually know anything about the situation. I hate to be harsh, but to the OP, you're not a victim because you're as much to blame as the guy who scammed you. You went with his story is because you were greedy enough to try to get a great deal that you took a risk and got burned for it. It's the internetz, lolz, what made you think this random online stranger was safe or moral? You wouldn't have given him your social security number, but you'll risk virtual items - it just so happens that the guy who conned you has the same opinion that online scams are equally worthless.

Post a guide with screenshots about how the trade system works and ask the GMs here to put a sticky on it. We don't need an Excel spreadsheet with a thousand ID numbers and the names of all the players on that account. Avoiding scams is pretty simple.

A) If it's too good to be true or the story sounds fishy, then use a LOT of caution, and if you're not good at that, then just plain don't do it at all and stick to the player shops. Consider if the amount of work you put into getting or making an item or earning money is greater than the risk of losing it.

B) Learn how to use the trade system, it's not that difficult.

1. You put in your item, you confirm it.
2. The other person puts in their item, they confirm it.
3. If the item disappears, if the item is not the one they said they'd give you, or if they hesitate and un-confirm the trade before OR after the final confirmation, then you should get out and find someone else to do business with. If they pressure you, if they ask you to "hold on a moment" to try again, just leave or log off for a few minutes and take a breather. Don't let them tempt you or convince you otherwise - as long as you still have them, they're YOUR items, you decide what to do with them.

C) Use patience. If someone wants to deal with you outside of the trade system, or if like I said before the deal is too good to be true, or if they seem sketchy, just walk away and wait for another opportunity. If you miss out, it's not the end of the world, there will be others - what's important is whether or not you still have something to trade when that time comes, or if you lost everything to a stupid gamble.

Sekani
Aug 4, 2007, 03:52 AM
What has PSU come to when people feel they need to warn other people to use common fucking sense?

Gryffin
Aug 4, 2007, 05:07 AM
On 2007-08-04 01:52, Sekani wrote:
What has PSU come to when people feel they need to warn other people to use common fucking sense?

Made of win.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 4, 2007, 05:15 AM
What has PSU come to that people no longer use proper phonics? "this is fail" "made of win"

Hatemachine
Aug 4, 2007, 05:25 AM
Is THAT all it is is people screwing up with the confirmtion buttons!?

I thought it was something a little more devious and a tweaking of the system like holding the button before a confirm then pulling the items out or yada yada either way I though it was something real.......it's just people not paying attention or being suckered around?

Dude no offence but why in god's name would you agree to that? it's just ripe for what happened to ya I dont ENDORSE it but cmon man.

bloodflowers
Aug 4, 2007, 07:22 AM
For those who might not realise - the trade window glitch on the 360 (PS2 too?) is quite an unpleasant one for some users. If you happen to be using a 4:3 standard resolution TV, then the confirmation dialogue covers up the top one or two items you are being offered, so unless you cancel the dialogue to double check, you can't actually see that they've changed what is being offered - and even then, they could switch when you get that box back up. It doesn't affect people on widescreen TVs because the dialogue layout is different.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bloodflowers on 2007-08-04 05:26 ]</font>

PJ
Aug 4, 2007, 07:33 AM
On 2007-08-04 03:15, 360NyTeMaRe wrote:
What has PSU come to that people no longer use proper phonics? "this is fail" "made of win"

What has PSOW come to that people have to constantly prove they're better than everyone else... oh wait.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 4, 2007, 07:55 AM
On 2007-08-04 05:33, PJ wrote:

What has PSOW come to that people have to constantly prove they're better than everyone else... oh wait.

No, I'm not proving that I'm better than anyone else, but I sure as hell use proper grammar and sentences.

Anyway, I use widescreen resolution on my TV, because my TV can switch to widescreen mode anyway, where there's a black box on the top and bottom of the screen, and then I switch the Xbox setting, and it looks okay except for blurry lettering in PSU. It's because it's not a High-def. My stepbrother has one though, and I love using it. I use widescreen for big trades, and it saved me once. I was trading 34% ice katsuno-zashi and some money for a 44% ice katsuno-zashi, and the moron tried to switch it for a 14% fire katsuno-zashi. I caught him, and reported him. Haven't seen him in a while. I spammed the hell out of the fourth floor of G.C. telling about how he's a scammer.

ThEoRy
Aug 4, 2007, 08:52 AM
I aint be gots no proper ennglish!

On topic, only retards fall for trade window "glitch".

And only 10 year olds run around like a screaming tattletale.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 4, 2007, 08:53 AM
Agreed. LOL

RegulusHikari
Aug 4, 2007, 09:02 AM
The OP isn't talking about the window glitch or whatever. Re-read his OP.

And I honestly can't believe you fell for something like that. Is this your first ORPG? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

jayster
Aug 4, 2007, 10:14 AM
that's almost as bad as "drop your weapon and I'll dupe it"

February
Aug 4, 2007, 10:17 AM
On 2007-08-04 08:14, jayster wrote:
that's almost as bad as "drop your weapon and I'll dupe it"

Or "Drop it so I can see what the box looks like."

HFlowen
Aug 4, 2007, 10:23 AM
This is almost as good as "Black heart in one of the presents, ONE IN THREE CHANCE TO WIN!!!111."

Powder Keg
Aug 4, 2007, 10:26 AM
You know, I never understood this "You can't name player's names" crap. If someone out there is taking advantage of a glitch and they're heading my way, I want to know what their name is.

Edit: After reading further into the topic it seems like this isn't even a glitch, but just someone giving you the double-cross. Always pay attention and constantly check the item(s) until the trade is finalized.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Artea on 2007-08-04 08:31 ]</font>

Sekani
Aug 4, 2007, 10:30 AM
Yeah, if someone took advantage of me because I was being a dumbass, the first thing I'd do is make sure everyone else knew about it.

HFlowen
Aug 4, 2007, 10:30 AM
On 2007-08-04 08:30, Sekani wrote:
Yeah, if someone took advantage of me because I was being a dumbass, the first thing I'd do is make sure everyone else knew about it.

HA!

Niloklives
Aug 4, 2007, 04:03 PM

that's grammar...phonics is a program to teach people to read based on the sounds that letters make which is known as "phonetic". -_-;

Dhylec
Aug 4, 2007, 04:05 PM
Let's end this here before warnings fly.