PDA

View Full Version : PC or XBOX360?

Pirat
Aug 5, 2007, 04:49 PM
Hi all.

I'm a big fan of PSO and played it for years on dreamcast and gamecube. Now i wanna start PSU.

The problem is that i dont know if i should get the PC or XBOX360 version.

Basicly i am a console-gamer, but i play mmorpgs like wow and lotro on pc.

but I'm getting a hdtv and xbox live for halo 3...

so its hard for me to decide.

pc or xbox360, which version is "better"? which one is faster, which one has more players, which one gets more updates? which one is best for me?

PALRAPPYS
Aug 5, 2007, 04:53 PM
Faster-

Depends on the speed of your PC. I've heard some people experience some slowdown issues with the 360 version, but it's never been a problem for me.

Players-

360 has around 2000+ players on at once, whereas PC has around 800+ players at once.

Updates-

Same. No difference.

Best-

Up to you to decide.

darkante
Aug 5, 2007, 04:53 PM
Take the one you think it feel the most comfortable to play on.

PC version has the best performance.
And Xbox 360 seems to have more players i think at least.

The others i canīt really answer on but..unless you are getting a controller for the PC version then i would say..take the Xbox 360 version.
This game is meant to be played with a controller. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

RedX
Aug 5, 2007, 04:57 PM
no one can tell you which one is better. They can say which one they think is better, but that doesn't mean it is the better one for you.

Sinue_v2
Aug 5, 2007, 05:21 PM
I would say 360 for the simple fact that PSU is very much a couch game - and the game is designed around the use of a controller. While the 360 controller is nice for the PC, there's the annoying lack of your L/R Triggers (which don't work on the PC). It's easy enough to scroll through your pallet with your D-Pad, but it's a bit slower and annoying since you have to stop to do it. You could also just use your L/R bumpers to cycle through in one direction, but that takes even longer.

MrNomad
Aug 5, 2007, 05:26 PM
Is the keyboard really that hard for you guys? > > It's actually easy to me...

VanHalen
Aug 5, 2007, 05:28 PM
I would say PC cause I'm on it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
Actually it's up to you to decide.

In before drama and lulz

Rashiid
Aug 5, 2007, 05:28 PM
just seems like alot of finger work w/ a keyboard playing games.

DonRoyale
Aug 5, 2007, 05:31 PM
In before the ultimately obvious impending flame war

I don't know what you people are talking about, I think the opposite. I can't imagine it on a controller. But oh well...

Each has its advantages. PC has more money (but more expensive items in player shops), and 360 has people. It's ultimately your choice.

Kimil
Aug 5, 2007, 05:34 PM
Each to their Own

I personally don't like mic chat... learned this in PSOX
The updates on PC/PS2 happen quicker for some reason, for example we got that death-penalty change update sooner and the board trick update

360 has a lot more players though, but that being said I still have NO problem at all playing games on the PC PS2 servers, I just log on, do 2 DA S2 runs, log off with no waiting involved

Sinue_v2
Aug 5, 2007, 05:49 PM
On 2007-08-05 15:26, MrNomad wrote:
Is the keyboard really that hard for you guys? > > It's actually easy to me...

No, but a controller is more comfortable I think. In a FPS or RTS - I would definitely prefer a mouse and keyboard over a controller. But PSU isn't a FPS or RTS. There's really no advantage to keyboard controls, so why not go with the option which is the most comfortable?

majan
Aug 5, 2007, 05:52 PM
this is compeltely not to start the flamewar,but apparently from what Im told (and this apparently has been discussed on these boards before) that the PC population is diminishing somewhat. people have mentioned this, I dont remember names,but this is probably the 7 millionth thread of this kind,so thats that.here's my take.

PC version got hacked a few months back and it totally raped the shit out of their trade economy thus fucking up the meseta values as DonRoyale metinoed how things are more expensive,but everyone has more money.this is due to the lasting ripple effects on the trade economy since the hacks, and 'haxeta' which is hacked money which was fixed along with the hacks.be noted:all hacks are fixed on the PC version(or so it is said.) also mentioned earlier is the lower population.cant really talk much about how it runs on a PC but Im told PS2 is horrible and Im told that it runs well on the PC.

on to the 360 version....
more population,better meseta value,but as in any online rpg,more population = more idiots.yes,360 is filled with obnoxious kids and other breeds of people who should have notthing to do with video games.however,if you just keep a low profile do your thing and party with the right people(i.e, people from this board) youll have a perfectly fine time on the 360.occasional slowdown becuase it is an xbox 360 running a shoddy port of a PS2 game,and with it came its shoddy graphics engine.

of course,its up to you,but you have my 2 cents.

Sekani
Aug 5, 2007, 05:55 PM
I personally can't stand playing anything but strategy games using a keyboard. When I used to play Counter-Strike my WASD fingers would cramp up horribly after an hour. I prefer controllers for that reason.

But you can use a controller on the PC version of PSU, so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sekani on 2007-08-05 15:56 ]</font>

Mystil
Aug 5, 2007, 07:31 PM
On 2007-08-05 15:21, Sinue_v2 wrote:
It's easy enough to scroll through your pallet with your D-Pad, but it's a bit slower and annoying since you have to stop to do it.

No you don't @_@ just hold down the pallete button while you're running. Analog for movement, D-pad for scrolling. Thumb on the analog, index finger for the D-pad.

Sekani
Aug 5, 2007, 08:03 PM
On 2007-08-05 17:31, Mystil wrote:

It's easy enough to scroll through your pallet with your D-Pad, but it's a bit slower and annoying since you have to stop to do it.

No you don't @_@ just hold down the pallete button while you're running. Analog for movement, D-pad for scrolling. Thumb on the analog, index finger for the D-pad.

That sounds... painful.

A better solution would be to use the trigger buttons to scroll through your palette. Use the two right triggers to scroll through your weapons and the two left triggers to scroll through your items.

VanHalen
Aug 5, 2007, 08:12 PM
Hey my keyboard works just fine for playing PSU, and I've gotten no cramps >:(.
Though I am missing a Tab and Z key >_>

Kimil
Aug 5, 2007, 08:21 PM
I use the PC version... but with 360 pad http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
keyboard? I can't stand it either -.-

darkante
Aug 6, 2007, 05:12 AM

That is precisely what i do when i wanna scroll.
I donīt see why it would be so hard. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

ACH
Aug 6, 2007, 05:47 AM
I just use a PS2-pad when playing on PC. Mapped exactly like it is in the PS2-version. All buttons work perfect. But I DID use my index finger to select stuff from the pallete with the D-pad before I figured out you could use the shoulder buttons..

darkante
Aug 6, 2007, 07:29 AM
On 2007-08-06 03:47, ACH wrote:
I just use a PS2-pad when playing on PC. Mapped exactly like it is in the PS2-version. All buttons work perfect. But I DID use my index finger to select stuff from the pallete with the D-pad before I figured out you could use the shoulder buttons..

I also use a Playstation controller.
Even then i prefer to select stuff on the D-pad rather then using the shoulder buttons.
A habbit is hard to break...>.<

Dj_SkyEpic
Aug 6, 2007, 08:17 AM
It's a tough choice, but here's my opinions of both sides.

Pros and cons:

PC/PS2
Pros:
1.The updates are usually up to par vs 360's.
2.Better performing PC means being able to play PSU at it's fullest potential with capable performance tweaks.
3. Print Screen key + Fraps compatable for crisp screenshots and videos on PC.
4. Can use any 3rd party controller that hooks up to a PC.
5. No need for a CD for PC. Just need 1 playsega payed account for Online mode and you're good to go. Offline and Extra mode does not need a registration.
6. You can play your account on a PS2 or a PC. The system uses the same server and registered accounts.
7. Only way to voice chat is with 3rd party programs like Ventrilo, xfire, or even phoning people on 3-way! ( I wouldn't consider this a con but it's an optional thing that's not a default thing for the PC/PS2 version even though PC has mics as well.)

Cons:
1.Low number of players in community
2.Hack threats( yet are able to be dealt with easily now and days.)
3.Gameguard and it's troubles.
4. Some programs will not run directly next with PSU ( Can't open another game that window switches against PSU and gameguard.)
5. PS2 version is the slowest console to play PSU with vs a 360 or a PC's potential.
6. Numerous steps can occur during installation.
You would first need to install the directx 9 from the PSU cd, add PSU into your firewall exclusions, etc.
7. If you want to play with a controller, you'll have to be on the PS2 side or buy a 3rd party controller with adapter suitable for PC.

Xbox360
Pros:
1. Runs at full 0 frameskip without the need to adjust compared to PS2 and maybe PC if your computer could not handle it.
2. A large community to be with.
3. In-game voice communication.
4. Controller driven. No need to buy other controllers.
5. A very legit community. Has not really been exploited overall.
6. Sonic and gang decorations!
7. A lot of demo weekends for freebie items!

Cons:
1. The hassle of paying for an xbox live account and a PSU account.
2. Updates/Maintenance usually lags behind the PC/PS2 versions. Usually can last up to serveral hours.
3. Sometimes game will slow down during certain animation of PAs or face emotes and you can't do anything about it. ( can't adjust graphics, etc. to fit gameplay.)
4. You must have a PSU cd to play. If it scratches or break... You'll have to buy another one.
5. The hassle of repairing an xbox (shipping it off and etc.) when theres internal damage.
6. If you want to type, you'll have to use the ingame text board or buy a keyboard.... or the PSU texter ... HEL YEH.
7. Updates are slower than PC/PS2's. So expect to wait and hear from PC/PS2 players about whatever update they have had before you.

Overall... Your choice still. I'm just pointing out what I see.

Add onto the list if you can think of anything XP.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dj_SkyEpic on 2007-08-06 06:24 ]</font>

Mystil
Aug 6, 2007, 08:37 AM
On 2007-08-05 18:03, Sekani wrote:

That sounds... painful.

A better solution would be to use the trigger buttons to scroll through your palette. Use the two right triggers to scroll through your weapons and the two left triggers to scroll through your items.

It is not painful. Besides after testing I have found a work around for you D-pad haters that play the PC version.

Change page left to NONE as the D-pad covers that.
Change character display to NONE. I don't think you all use that anyway.

Those buttons can be placed on Arrow Key Up and Arrow Key Down.

Viola, you now can scroll your pallete with trigger buttons(specially the bottom set of top buttons).

amtalx
Aug 6, 2007, 09:22 AM
On 2007-08-06 06:17, Dj_SkyEpic wrote:
Xbox360
Pros:
1. Runs at full 0 frameskip without the need to adjust compared to PS2 and maybe PC if your computer could not handle it.
2. A large community to be with.
3. In-game voice communication.
4. Controller driven. No need to buy other controllers.
5. A very legit community. Has not really been exploited overall.
6. Sonic and gang decorations!
7. A lot of demo weekends for freebie items!

Cons:
1. The hassle of paying for an xbox live account and a PSU account.
2. Updates/Maintenance usually lags behind the PC/PS2 versions. Usually can last up to serveral hours.
3. Sometimes game will slow down during certain animation of PAs or face emotes and you can't do anything about it. ( can't adjust graphics, etc. to fit gameplay.)
4. You must have a PSU cd to play. If it scratches or break... You'll have to buy another one.
5. The hassle of repairing an xbox (shipping it off and etc.) when theres internal damage.
6. If you want to type, you'll have to use the ingame text board or buy a keyboard.... or the PSU texter ... HEL YEH.
7. Updates are slower than PC/PS2's. So expect to wait and hear from PC/PS2 players about whatever update they have had before you.

Small edit, but you can play PSU with an Xbox Live silver account, which is free. However, since you are buying your 360 for Halo 3, you're gonna have to pay anyway (unless you are playing the single player only...wHaT?!?). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

GoDz
Aug 7, 2007, 02:52 AM
i think you should come to 360...its not hacked but if you dont mind the hacks get the pc

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 7, 2007, 03:16 AM
Xbox 360 Pros + Cons

Pros:
Better peformance / doesn't need to load for every little thing you do
Better graphics (unless your PC has a great video card)
Friendly community of over 60,000 players total
Demo Weekend Events (free items for playing the demo)
Easy to use and play, easy to register via Xbox Live
Very secure, no hackers (currently)
Use of a capture card for screenshots and video (unlike CRAPS "fraps" for the PC)

Cons:
Xbox 360 is expensive
Updates are a couple weeks behind PC/PS2
Younger audience prone to scamming and spam messages
Less goal-oriented community members

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 360NyTeMaRe on 2007-08-07 01:18 ]</font>

APEXi
Aug 7, 2007, 03:18 AM
i play both versions, if you're going to be starting out fresh, get it for 360.