PDA

View Full Version : School Uniforms

Ma_Navu
Aug 6, 2007, 09:40 AM
In my school, ever since my brother had been going (well, before he dropped out like the big puss that he was, anyway), there had been a No-Uniform policy. Which was great, don't get me wrong. But now, as my time in school draws to a close, they've instated a new policy: UNIFORMS~

To be honest, I don't see a point in this. What I do see, however, are a whole bunch'a fuckin' flaws with this idea.

1. Cost Efficiency:
When it comes to cost, it's insane. If shirts sell for about $12 or so and pants for $20, buying a week's worth of clothing for ONE CHILD can cost $160. And that's before we go shopping for the supplies~

2. Shopping
These people, apparently, are under the impression that everyone goes to the mall and buys clothing before school comes back or everyone has the money to do so. That is completely untrue. I, for example, only get clothes for fucking Christmas, for Chris'sakes (no pun intended). Now that uniforms are mandatory, those without money are forced to spend more and more every single year, unless their child suffers from a birth defect that prevents growth.

3: Reason
What's the reason for these things? "They look nice" is the most common reason I get from these dicksmurfs whom I'm forced to call "classmates." And? So what? I also hear, "It keeps the thugs from wearing those pants that hang from their knees." Which is a bullshit thought, really, because no one's stopping them from wearing oversized fucking uniforms. So they'll still be wearing pants that hang from the knees, except they'll be khaki pants.

I don't fuckin' get this. It's like there was a boat and I missed the fuckin' boat, it's just un-fuckin'-believable. For one damn year in school, parents are forced to spend about $160 PER CHILD so that they won't be sent home. Then, if they're in high school, they have to buy SIX SETS of materials (six class periods, in my school) which can run you up to a total of maybe $250 - $300 per kid a year, depending on what the teachers want you to bring to class.

Because we want you to dress nice. =D

Can someone please give me ANY example of how a uniform can be beneficial? I mean, other than school, the last time I've seen uniforms used was for armies--especially the ones in World War II. And that had a completely different fuckin' use.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ma_Navu on 2007-08-06 07:41 ]</font>

Aluria
Aug 6, 2007, 10:15 AM
i think what they are trying to do is cut out brand names from schools so some people aren't discriminated against for clothes.

But it's not a very good reason.

Still.... if they make the uniforms like the japanese ones you'll get people with fetishes.

See, my point exactly, minus the school uniform fetsh people -_-;
|
v

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aluria on 2007-08-06 09:06 ]</font>

Allos
Aug 6, 2007, 10:48 AM
There are beneficial reasons to wear uniforms for middle/high schools, namely to prevent discrimination and gang violence (if that's a problem where the school is). Mostly it's for discrimination prevention, because like it or not, the grand majority of teenagers are retarded. Uniforms also serve the purpose of creating a united sense of belonging (regardless of whether the student wants to belong or not) because the campus isn't split into fashion lines.

In middle school I had a strict dress code, though no specific uniform. My first year of high school was spent at a private Catholic school, and not only were uniforms required, but straying from the uniform code at all meant punishment a little too harsh for what was done wrong. After that year, the rest of high school was spent in a public school with no uniforms, and the differences in how students carried themselves due to fashion were immense.

So while uniforms may not be exciting, they really aren't a big deal. Saves a lot of time in choosing what to wear, I guarantee that.

Ma_Navu
Aug 6, 2007, 11:14 AM
In my school, there's no discrimination due to fashion, nor is there any gang violence (however, there are quite a lot of personal squabbles and cat fights. Hopefully, this year will be unlike last year, in the sense that there won't be a fight everyday during lunch merely due to those quarrels. Like you said, the grand majority of teenagers are retarded). Everyone wears the same thing, practically, within my school.

In the previous years, there was a dress code. However, instead of enforcing it, the rule was ignored by both the student population and the teachers alike. I think it would be much simpler to enforce the previous code, maybe make it a little stricter when it comes to what to wear, and everything'll be fine. It's much more cost-efficient to do that!

Although I do agree that the uniforms might make it easier to choose your wardrobe for the day, nothing's gonna change within the student behavior as a whole. A student's actions depend on the student, not their clothes. I will admit that I have not seen what other schools are like, nor have I seen how a different school's population tends to act, but I can safely say that the people in my general living area will not emotionally change. They'll still act like dicks. They'll still dress like they got there clothes from the Salvation Army. The only change I see coming is a monotonous hue on everyone's clothing. That's it. All for $160 a student.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ma_Navu on 2007-08-06 09:15 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Aug 6, 2007, 11:38 AM
There are several psychological reasons for it and the primary reason behind it in america has more to do with control and not the other reasons they tell you, even though those all come with it as well... I dunno whether it's a good idea or bad cuz they could never pull it on previous generations, but new generations have gotten more and more complacent so more than likely they won't do anything.

Frankly it's a student vote thing in the end which most don't realize and those who do aren't brave enough to just ignore those rules and tell people to do the same. If all the student come to class witohut their uniforms and do it continuously the school can do nothing about it, but then again the students might have to repeat a year or have their year extended into the summer.

Ma_Navu
Aug 6, 2007, 12:01 PM
"It's a student vote" is what you said? I'm not sure how it was anywhere else, but the sad truth is, the parents voted for it. I understand that they want their children not to dress like shit, but instead of forcing a uniform on them, they should just grow a pair and act like the parent for once. Beat the shit out of your kid if he wants to walk around with his pants around his ankle. Pull out your belt if your daughter wants to wear a skirt so short that her ass hangs out. Rather than that, here's a better thought: don't buy your children such shitty clothing.

As you can see, there are plenty other alternatives out there that the parents could've taken. But they had to fuck up their finances by paying for uniforms that the kids will throw into the hamper as soon as they get home, and swap for the same shitty clothes that the parents despise.

When it comes to what you said about control, I'll have to agree. Like I said earlier, the last time I saw uniforms in place was in an old German movie reel with children in boot camp marching in unison preparing for war. If we keep trying to control our children using methods that range from uniforms to pills, history might repeat itself.

Aluria
Aug 6, 2007, 12:41 PM
I don't think it's as bad as say Military control. Yes it is control but not to that extent. That's over compensation. There are positives and negatives to both sides.

Mystil
Aug 6, 2007, 12:59 PM
On 2007-08-06 08:15, Aluria wrote:
i think what they are trying to do is cut out brand names from schools so some people aren't discriminated against for clothes.

Down here in GA it is. If your mom don't spend 500 bucks for a pair of Nikes, guess jeans, tommy shirt(with watch and belt to match) you're the laughing stock of the school.

Also- cut down on girls wearing overly exposing clothes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mystil on 2007-08-06 10:59 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Aug 6, 2007, 01:01 PM
Ma_Navu, you are missing what I am saying when I say that...

With the schools, their funding is determined by student enrollment. If everyone in the school were to simply not wear the uniform the school can do nothing, because they really can't punish every kid, nor can they expel every kid as if they do they lose funding. The schools can not expel based on that simply due to the fact everyone is doing it and thus who ever they expel would have a discrimination lawsuit that they could file.

With this the students that are in the majority win out, so if more students wear uniforms (which you could consider a vote) then uniforms become the standard. Thus the students really do have the final vote.

DurakkenX
Aug 6, 2007, 01:02 PM
On 2007-08-06 10:59, Mystil wrote:

But that's funny, especially here in michigan where it gets freezing and they still wear summer clothes.

Nani-chan
Aug 6, 2007, 01:15 PM
I know many kids hate dress codes, but when you work you'll probably have to follow a dress code too. I will admit it's harder for schools that suddenly change policy, then for schools that have had it for awhile.

They should have a fundraiser to help finacially hurting families and a donate old uniforms when you graduate drives and such, however.

Sord
Aug 6, 2007, 01:18 PM
well, enough people have talked about benefits of uniforms, I'll continue adding how much I hate having uniforms because of the cost. My khaki's are about 10 bucks a pair from walmart, but our shirts, that's another story. We have to have a Cisco Network Academy Logo on them, and that means ordering them from Lands' End. It also must be some sort of polo. That means our shirts cost 25-50 dollars a peice, plus about another 5 bucks for each logo. Fuck you school, my family consists of 6 people, only one of which is an adult, and she's in college. We live off of welfare and child support. We had to miss nearly half a month's of groceries just so I could go to fucking school. Did I mention I only attend half-day at said school? Oh I also had to get a suit to wear once a month, though this is just for my class because it's a techschool and shops can set their own dress policy (though each shop has some sort of uniform.) We just took a credit card out that time.

The only upside to this is I'm getting well over my money's worth in college credits for the class I'm taking, unlike a lot of other bastard sons who take money thrown at them and waste it, I didn't. I actually worked my ass off and pulled straight A's in all classes all year and was the top in my shop. Thank god I didn't grow this summer (actually I lost weigt, woo-hoo http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif )

At least there are good enough people in the world to hold back to school charity organizations, going to one this saturday to get a backpack and school supplies.

Aluria
Aug 6, 2007, 02:04 PM

Down here in GA it is. If your mom don't spend 500 bucks for a pair of Nikes, guess jeans, tommy shirt(with watch and belt to match) you're the laughing stock of the school.

I was more referring to the fact that it won't work to help with that sadly enough. ._.

Leviathan
Aug 6, 2007, 02:41 PM

I am so glad I don't have to wear uniforms anymore. =D

Wearing school uniforms didn't help my school, in fact I think it didn't make a difference. You could still tell the difference from the girls that were sluts &the ones that weren't. As for gang members they wear khaki pants anyways &they will wear a shirt underneath the polo. The school I go to now lets you wear pretty much anything &if a girl wants to dress like a whore then thats her problem &if she wants to be treated better maybe they shouldn't dress like a slut, obviously.

Scrub
Aug 6, 2007, 03:06 PM
My last 2 year sof high school we had a dress code instated. Some lame tuff-guys were 'REBELLING AGAINS THE MAN' and for a week or so stood across the street from school 'protesting the uniforms.' God that gave me and my buds some hearty lulz.

You know I didn't ever really give a damn. It might be the fact that when I went off to culinary school I had to wear a uniform so I was used to it, but I didn't see why people made such a shitstorm over it. You really shouldn't, after a few weeks nobody's going to even think about it.

Sayara
Aug 6, 2007, 03:22 PM
Why buy 5 sets when pants can be re-worn and shirts can be laundered every so often.

You say you can't afford 5 sets of uniform; Learn to use your head and just keep two or three clean for a whole week.

At work i have 1 shirt. and khaki/black pants. Those clothes have to last me an entire week and i manage. And this isn't office job this is doing alot of hustle and bustling. Sweat too.

Aluria
Aug 6, 2007, 04:49 PM
Nesscesity is the mother of invention! =D

Think outside the box! Sometimes you can't win directly, but perhaps patitioning for parents to get a tax deductable on the uniforms come tax time?

EphekZ
Aug 6, 2007, 06:06 PM
I don't see how the teachers can't punish the students for not wearing your uniform. in ROTC, if we don't wear our uniform on designate days 3 times or more we get a fail. Simple as that. if it's part of the school curriculum then I see no reason why the teachers can't fail you. Besides, what's so bad about em? the whole school is wearing them and you get used to it.

edit:

1. Cost Efficiency:
When it comes to cost, it's insane. If shirts sell for about $12 or so and pants for $20, buying a week's worth of clothing for ONE CHILD can cost $160. And that's before we go shopping for the supplies~

er, most clothes cost more then that....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EphekZ on 2007-08-06 16:07 ]</font>

Ma_Navu
Aug 7, 2007, 05:49 PM
The reason I'm kinda pissed about the uniforms is that my family doesn't have the money to go out and buy several sets of clothing whose purpose is unknown by me. I would understand if the uniforms did something useful for the school, but to force families to purchase extra clothing for their children, that's a little fucked up for me.

If they actually gave the uniforms out for free, I wouldn't have a problem (but there's a better chance of Paris Hilton becoming a saint than that happening). But since we have to go out and buy 'em with our own money, there better be a fuckin' use for them, especially when it's that damn expensive.

Sayara, I agree with you 100%, but if you had a mother like mine, you'd know that it'd be impossible to only buy one or two sets. When it came to the high school ring, I told her that I don't want it--we're in too much financial trouble to go and buy an expensive ring. I ended up getting a ring. >_>

EphekZ, I take it you don't go to cheap-o stores, do you? Since I live in south Florida (AKA Cuba Jr.), there're tons of minor stores out there run by immigrants trying to make any kind of money by selling goods at lower (or higher, depending on the credibility of the store >_>) prices. When we went to one to get our uniforms, that's how much the clothes were.

Cowlibob
Aug 13, 2007, 11:24 AM
with school uniforms, you would only need one set of clothes every day while if there wasn't you would have to decide what to wear every day which would be stressful.

Firocket1690
Aug 13, 2007, 11:45 AM
Wait. You can buy your school uniform at bargain stores run by immigrants?

XCOPY
Aug 14, 2007, 01:15 AM
"It keeps the thugs from wearing those pants that hang from their knees." Which is a bullshit thought, really, because no one's stopping them from wearing oversized fucking uniforms. So they'll still be wearing pants that hang from the knees, except they'll be khaki pants.This is the main reason it all seems pointless to me. Uniforms were implemented in Memphis, TN(the city I grew up in...unfortunately) a few years ago, but it didn't change anything. Most of the kids still manage to look ghettofab, triflin' and thugged out all the time. The vast majority of them look like morons that will never get anywhere in life. I think the folks that push for the uniforms in school forget that the end result is NOT the same visual we've seen in the movies and tv and even cartoons, where kids look nice and clean cut/preppy, etc. No...they still make an effort to *proudly* look like bums.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XCOPY on 2007-08-13 23:16 ]</font>