PDA

View Full Version : AoI not coming to PS2?

waluigi1
Aug 11, 2007, 06:25 PM
My friend and I were in gamestop yesterday and we were looking through this little booklet that had games coming out in the future and it had PSU:AoI stated for 360 and PC. I asked the guy working there about it and he said that he had just been told it was for PC and 360. So is there any truth to this?

McLaughlin
Aug 11, 2007, 06:27 PM
As far as I know it'll be available for all platforms.

Chuck_Norris
Aug 11, 2007, 06:28 PM
I really doubt SEGA wouldn't put it on PS2, They would lose about 1/3 of their players on the PC/PS2 servers

Niloklives
Aug 11, 2007, 06:31 PM
seeing as how they've made PS2 specific announcements (performance upgrades, etc), Sega's official AoI site lists PS2 as a platform. and I already have it PREORDERED for PS2...I'd say, the clerk you spoke to is retarded.

waluigi1
Aug 11, 2007, 06:33 PM
How are they gonna make that work anyway?

Kylie
Aug 11, 2007, 06:34 PM
On 2007-08-11 16:31, NIloklives wrote:
seeing as how they've made PS2 specific announcements (performance upgrades, etc), Sega's official AoI site lists PS2 as a platform. and I already have it PREORDERED for PS2...I'd say, the clerk you spoke to is retarded.

As are a lot of GameStop guys... around here at least.

Xaeris
Aug 11, 2007, 06:37 PM
At the Gamestop by my dorm, I have what must be the greatest Gamestop clerk in existence. This guy knows his stuff, no matter what platform or genre it is. On a slow day, in between classes, I'll go in there and we'll just race in Mario Kart DS until I need to be on my way.

That's an exception. The average Gamestop clerk couldn't tell a PSP from an N-Gage if you didn't smack 'em over the head with them.

Piper_Maru
Aug 11, 2007, 06:44 PM
Not all gamestop people are foolish. When I went to pick up PSU this nice employee gave me two free DS stylus' for free. And, another time when I went there to get Resident Evil DS, this employee talked with me for a good 10 minutes about the DS. It was great.

Then there are the people who start/listen to false rumors.

waluigi1
Aug 11, 2007, 06:45 PM
Damn that lying Folder/book/thingy! I guess gamestop as a whole is just dumb...

Mystil
Aug 11, 2007, 06:49 PM
On 2007-08-11 16:33, waluigi1 wrote:

The same way the original game works.

HFlowen
Aug 11, 2007, 07:11 PM
Gamestop is full of constant jackassery.

The game was designed for the ps2, albeit doesn't run that well on it.

RedX
Aug 11, 2007, 07:14 PM
Most of the screen shots you see are from the PS2 ver >.>

HFlowen
Aug 11, 2007, 07:15 PM
^Lol, that too.

BeastOblivion
Aug 11, 2007, 07:21 PM
yes theyre making it on ps2 because I have it on my gamefly list.

youthisoverrated
Aug 11, 2007, 07:53 PM
it's on amazon and gamestop's websites =/ and it say nov 20th on both =/ =/

Dragwind
Aug 11, 2007, 07:58 PM
Never, ever, ever think that a game store worker knows his stuff. Granted some do, but most don't and lie like hell. D;

FUFME
Aug 11, 2007, 08:42 PM
On 2007-08-11 16:25, waluigi1 wrote:
My friend and I were in gamestop yesterday and we were looking through this little booklet that had games coming out in the future and it had PSU:AoI stated for 360 and PC. I asked the guy working there about it and he said that he had just been told it was for PC and 360. So is there any truth to this?

All lies, just like the Holy Bible

Look at the official Sega site and Japan site, it has the PS2 Logo on bottom of page

http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com/illuminus_info.php

http://illuminus.phantasystaruniverse.jp/about/

Powder Keg
Aug 11, 2007, 11:00 PM
I don't believe a thing most Gamestop/EB associates say.

SubstanceD
Aug 12, 2007, 08:56 AM

The same way they made the original PSU run on the PS2.

On the topic of Gamespot clerks being clueless, it's not limited to Gamestop. The other day Final Fantasy VI was released on the GBA other in Europe. I went to every local store to try and get a copy and everyone kept insisting taht no such game existed. Of course it didn't help that most game stores over here no longer stock GBA games. If I knew I was going to end up importing a US copy of FFVI then I would have done it months ago instead of waiting for the non-existant PAL release.

I suspect PSU: AOI for the PS2 has kind of dropped off the radar for most game store empoyees since they are two busy thinking about PS3, Xbox 360, Wii and PC games. To them the PS2 is last gen ( well it is ) and dead ( not quite true since it is out selling the PS3 ). I suspect Management couldn't even be bothered to look up a release date for the PS2 release.

Sexy_Raine
Aug 12, 2007, 09:27 AM
It's more like gameslop, because the ppl there are idiots, usually.

Helly
Aug 12, 2007, 09:28 AM
On 2007-08-11 16:25, waluigi1 wrote:
My friend and I were in gamestop yesterday and we were looking through this little booklet that had games coming out in the future and it had PSU:AoI stated for 360 and PC.

Probably just a printing error considering that, ya know, Gamestop can't actually sell a 360 AOI since its download-only. O.o;

I asked the guy working there about it and he said that he had just been told it was for PC and 360. So is there any truth to this?

Now as for the guy~ clueless!

On 2007-08-11 17:53, iamgir42 wrote:
it's on amazon and gamestop's websites =/ and it say nov 20th on both =/ =/

And Amazon has it for $30 while GS says $40. Guess ya know who I ordered from!

pikachief
Aug 12, 2007, 09:57 AM
On 2007-08-11 16:44, Piper_Maru wrote:
this employee talked with me for a good 10 minutes about the DS. It was great.

i really hope there werent people in line! we didnt buy some game(i forgot) because the gamestop employee was talking to one of his customers for a really long time.

majorgamer55
Aug 12, 2007, 02:52 PM
yea im 100% positive its coming for either the ps2 or ps3, but more sure its for the ps2

Niloklives
Aug 12, 2007, 03:14 PM
PS2..they've made this quite clear.

pikachief
Aug 12, 2007, 03:17 PM
i wish it wasnt PS2!!

if it wasnt we would get actual downloadable updates A.K.A. get wat we paid for http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

the graphics also could be much better if it wasnt made for the Ps2 and basically ported to 360 and PC

DragoonSlayer
Aug 12, 2007, 03:17 PM
store self on for the PC and PS2 versions, download only for the 360 version (which sux for me cuz i don't have Live.) i bet the sales/downloads for the 360 isn't gonna match the original's sales for the basic fact that about 30%-40% of 360 owners are actually online, leaving 70%-60% playing with a buddy yelling in thier ear, most likely playing MADDEN, since thier aren't that many multiplayer 360 games out there (i've looked). i think a main feature that SEGA should reintroduce is offline multiplayer.

Fox_Makenshi
Aug 12, 2007, 03:24 PM
Didn't it say somewhere that it as far as PS2/PC version is concerned it's supposed to run BETTER on the PS2?

Found Source:Here (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=148743&forum=20&368)
Look at 07-03

Love,
Fox Makenshi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fox_Makenshi on 2007-08-12 13:29 ]</font>

Piper_Maru
Aug 14, 2007, 06:40 PM
On 2007-08-12 13:17, pikachief wrote:
i wish it wasnt PS2!!

if it wasnt we would get actual downloadable updates A.K.A. get wat we paid for http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

the graphics also could be much better if it wasnt made for the Ps2 and basically ported to 360 and PC

The PC/PS2 servers would also lose at least 30% of its population...

Mixfortune
Aug 14, 2007, 07:46 PM
Okay, yeah, employees for this store or that may not always be the most knowledgeable every time, or in some cases even a majority of the time, but reading the OP, it's not like the employee was arguing or making a deal about it being on PS2 or not, or that he was even saying it's definitely not coming onto PS2. Just that he was only told about the PC and 360 versions.

He probably wasn't lying, bullshitting, etc etc., just not perfectly knowledgeable on X game that's not even necessarily that popular.

Booklet having a mistake or being stupid? Sure. Generally stupid employee? Not necessarily.

In the end, taking different sources together in your research is the best anyways.

Golto
Aug 14, 2007, 08:52 PM
On 2007-08-12 13:24, Fox_Makenshi wrote:
Didn't it say somewhere that it as far as PS2/PC version is concerned it's supposed to run BETTER on the PS2?

Found Source:Here (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=148743&forum=20&368)
Look at 07-03

Love,
Fox Makenshi

Not sure what you mean but that means that AOI will run a little better on ps2 when compared to this version. Not that ps2 will out perform any decent pc when running AOI.

I guess the people not wanting a ps2 version of AOI don't understand the Japanese side of this. The JPN PSU did sell enough copies to merit a 'playstation 2 the best' release. When it comes to making decisions on this game the Japanese come first, meaning the pc/ps2 version, and we all are just an afterthought.

Lyrise
Aug 14, 2007, 11:26 PM
i wish it wasnt PS2!!

Sega's a Japanese company, so they cater to the Japanese first. I've mentioned several times before, there's probably 5 times more households with PS2s than there are PCs, let alone PCs that can handle PSU. So unless they wish to alienate their largest profit source, PS2 version is going to stay whether you like it or not.

ZeL_of_Seals
Aug 14, 2007, 11:30 PM
On 2007-08-11 16:49, Mystil wrote:

The same way the original game works.

wait so its a whole nother game because i heard ppl are leaving because of AoI so is it a nother game or a expansion?

Desecration
Aug 15, 2007, 01:06 AM
well for the online part of AOI it is an expansion, but for the offline part of AOI it is a new game.

Urtri
Aug 15, 2007, 04:19 AM
1. AotI is an online expanision with an inproved Episode 2 (i.e larger longer chapters, CGI Cutsences, etc) replacing the Eathn Weber Story and extra mode as its offline content

2. Pikercheif said "i wish it wasnt PS2!! if it wasnt we would get actual downloadable updates A.K.A. get wat we paid for" All updates and information are Server side with the download only being an updated Legal equipment List, Security updates and Data Mods (PA stats, etc) as the Disc already has all the graphic and base information on it.

3 . many people are asking how Sega will fit all AotI data on 1 disc for the PS2. the answer is easy replace the data for eps 1 with episode 2 data and change to a dual layered Disc. This seems to be the reason why many of these rumors start up

and to expand on point 2 all mission Data (cut sences, maps, enemy locations, their lvl's , etc) are stored SERVER SIDE meaning all our computers have to do is damage calculations and load graphics.

creativehope
Aug 15, 2007, 05:05 AM
Its very simple in this case AOI is coming to the PS2 Its just that the specific gametop you went to hasnt updated their PS2 list is all. I had the same problem with the gametop I visited a while back. This happens a lot though

A2K
Aug 15, 2007, 05:18 AM
On 2007-08-14 21:26, Lyrise wrote:

i wish it wasnt PS2!!

Sega's a Japanese company, so they cater to the Japanese first. I've mentioned several times before, there's probably 5 times more households with PS2s than there are PCs, let alone PCs that can handle PSU. So unless they wish to alienate their largest profit source, PS2 version is going to stay whether you like it or not.

It's more accurate to say that specifically, Phantasy Star Universe's audience is primarily Japanese and primarily playing the game on the Playstation 2.

Sega as a whole has actually shown a commitment to pursuing relationships with Western development studios and licenses as of late.

If Sonic Team intends to push the game to five years, as was the case with PSO, I can't help but feel myself that some measure of "future proofing" involving the PS3, Xbox 360, or even Wii development is cooking somewhere in there. This is all speculation on my part, though.