PDA

View Full Version : AotI: Forest, Caves and Mines uh...

Sha Sha
Aug 12, 2007, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure if I should add a Spoilers tag or not but
anyway I believe a lot of Older PSU players where at one time PSO players with the announcement that forest, caves and mines being in AOI somehow. It makes me think
how many people had each level COMPLETELY MEMORIZED?!
I mean I had forest Completely memorized, knew every turn and knew where every monster was going to pop up.
Caves I hated >< but i knew a few places Mines where always my fav place to go in ep1. Do you think there will be different paths/ patterns in the AOI version or Do you think there will be at lease one path/pattern that is excatly the same as its PSO counterpart?
i mean i knew forest so well i could have proabably done it blindfolded xD

(sorry took a few to get this thread together been thinking a bit about this questions and finally got the bawls to put it up >>)

Fox_Makenshi
Aug 12, 2007, 11:48 AM
You do know that PSO had variants just like PSU does right? Also how many people have memorized variants for a certain missions? Yes I do think there will be different map variants and enemy spawns.

Love,
Fox Makenshi

Tekershee
Aug 12, 2007, 11:58 AM
Well the forest on the beta was nothing like any of the forest maps on PSO :/

And there was also 3 blocks :S And different enemies :S

Sha Sha
Aug 12, 2007, 12:02 PM
awws i guess my inner map in my head will be useless for it then xD

Dragwind
Aug 12, 2007, 12:27 PM
I'm sure they're going to have completely different variants. Who knows? Maybe one will be a pso variant http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ZeGoose
Aug 12, 2007, 12:29 PM
would that be a rare map with rare monsters?

Fredrick
Aug 12, 2007, 12:50 PM
I don't see why they couldn't just copy the PSO Forest. Forest, along with the CCA areas were really well thought out. You can tell a lot of detail went into the layout of those areas. It was almost like something a landscaper would make.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fredrick on 2007-08-12 10:51 ]</font>

Vyslain
Aug 12, 2007, 12:56 PM
On 2007-08-12 09:58, Tekershee wrote:

Yup. The Dragon boss room is a normal room connected by some longass passageways full of Bil De Vears from what I saw.
Yes, Bil De Vears. I also saw Volfus. Lastly, Boomas can jump around like a crackmonkey and use the same animation data as Vahras.
What. Fe. Thuck.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vyslain on 2007-08-12 10:56 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vyslain on 2007-08-12 11:06 ]</font>

DraginHikari
Aug 12, 2007, 01:17 PM
It's hard to say what they're doing with them considering what little what little has been revealed and what changes have been made to the forest area since the beta either...

Kamica
Aug 12, 2007, 01:19 PM
The forest in the AoI beta was the worst excuse of a mission imaginable.

littleman2347
Aug 12, 2007, 04:44 PM
does anyone have any pics the all the levels?

PJ
Aug 12, 2007, 04:47 PM
On 2007-08-12 11:19, Kamica wrote:

That's because the forest in PSO was the worst excuse of a stage imaginable.

Well, you know, minus caves...

GuardianPoe
Aug 12, 2007, 07:06 PM

From the videos I saw of the Forest beta, I don't think the area is totally done yet, specifically regarding the enemies. It looked like they were just using Moatoob enemies as placeholders since the skins weren't done yet; I imagine they just wanted to give people a sneak view of the Forest.

Also, regarding this, as I imagine someone would know... was the Dragon, or any boss at all, present when you finished the Forest stage on the beta? Where did it even connect to once it was finished, was the Cave lobby in place yet?

EspioKaos
Aug 12, 2007, 07:08 PM
On 2007-08-12 17:06, GuardianPoe wrote:
Also, regarding this, as I imagine someone would know... was the Dragon, or any boss at all, present when you finished the Forest stage on the beta? Where did it even connect to once it was finished, was the Cave lobby in place yet?

No big bosses. Just some Bil De Vears. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif After you complete the forest, you're taken back to the GUARDIANS Colony. I believe the end lobby was Dallgun Viewing Plaza.

GuardianPoe
Aug 12, 2007, 07:30 PM
On 2007-08-12 17:08, EspioKaos wrote:

On 2007-08-12 17:06, GuardianPoe wrote:

No big bosses. Just some Bil De Vears. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif After you complete the forest, you're taken back to the GUARDIANS Colony. I believe the end lobby was Dallgun Viewing Plaza.

Makes sense I suppose. Forest was originally accessible through the Hive access spaceport, right? It was probably easier to bypass to the Hive exit point, rather than go through the effort of rushing to set up a new end lobby for the beta.

Hopefully the apparent incomplete state of the Forest means the original Dragon will still be present as a boss fight. I'm not totally optimistic (since my biggest qualm with PSU is its dearth of bosses), but I figure if he's there he'll be Earth element (due to his burrowing moves and subterranean habitat).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GuardianPoe on 2007-08-12 17:31 ]</font>

radical_ryan
Aug 12, 2007, 07:46 PM
here u go http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif---- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzoohDdPSmg&mode=related&search=

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 12, 2007, 08:02 PM
The first block was Lupus Silva like, but then after that....

Sinue_v2
Aug 13, 2007, 11:01 AM
As much as I don't care for the idea of PSO in PSU just for the hell of it - the idea of fighting the De Ragan in a small enclosed space such as under the Central Dome where there's not very much room to run from his attacks does sound kind of cool. Especially if it's like a De Ragan/Sil Dragon mix where touching it would freeze you.

(I guess I'm saying that I'd actually like to see the boss area being much smaller than it was in PSO... something where his tail swipe could reach about 50% of the map size... like a real lair... and increase his breath attack size.)

pikachief
Aug 13, 2007, 12:40 PM
On 2007-08-12 10:56, Vyslain wrote:

Yup. The Dragon boss room is a normal room connected by some longass passageways full of Bil De Vears from what I saw.
Yes, Bil De Vears. I also saw Volfus. Lastly, Boomas can jump around like a crackmonkey and use the same animation data as Vahras.
What. Fe. Thuck.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vyslain on 2007-08-12 10:56 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vyslain on 2007-08-12 11:06 ]</font>

Bil de Vears, if pronounced correctly, sound very close to hilde bears. so basically those and our volfus are just the evolved forms of the same monsters. also y no de ragan? who knows http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

also the way the maps are set is nothing like PSO maps! it feels like your playing a re skinned mad creatures map! everything is very open, and u go from area to area either through door or also through tunnels just like mad creatures http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

it was very disappointing when i first played it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif but the Forest music was a nice touch http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

EspioKaos
Aug 13, 2007, 01:03 PM
On the music, I'm still hoping that we end up getting some that's at least slightly remixed from the original. I'd enjoy that a lot more than just hearing PSO's soundtrack again. (Don't get me wrong, I love the game's soundtrack, but I'd love something with a new touch thrown in even more.)

Mewn
Aug 13, 2007, 01:11 PM
On 2007-08-12 11:19, Kamica wrote:

I have to agree, it was a real disappointment. I hope the final ones are better, or else it'll just be a case of ST shitting on PSO's legacy.

majorgamer55
Aug 13, 2007, 01:16 PM
yea i remember al those maps

Sinue_v2
Aug 13, 2007, 03:15 PM
or else it'll just be a case of ST shitting on PSO's legacy.

Shitting on established legacies is what Phantasy Star is all about. PSO shit on Phantasy Star. PSU shits on Phantasy Star and Phantasy Star Online both. The next game in the series will probably shit on all three.

Ezodagrom
Aug 13, 2007, 03:37 PM
On 2007-08-13 11:03, EspioKaos wrote:
On the music, I'm still hoping that we end up getting some that's at least slightly remixed from the original. I'd enjoy that a lot more than just hearing PSO's soundtrack again. (Don't get me wrong, I love the game's soundtrack, but I'd love something with a new touch thrown in even more.)

I agree with that.
I kinda hope they change the pso music a bit to versions...I don't know how to explain...orchestrated versions?...I mean, like comparing olga flow 1st part music with the one in the pso ep 1 & 2 premium arrange cd.

Soukosa
Aug 13, 2007, 03:54 PM
On 2007-08-13 13:15, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Shitting on established legacies is what Phantasy Star is all about. PSO shit on Phantasy Star. PSU shits on Phantasy Star and Phantasy Star Online both. The next game in the series will probably shit on all three.

Isn't that what all of these franchises tend to do? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif At least PSO/PSU isn't alone in taking what people liked about something and completely fucking it over. Though I do think some of you people are a little too obsessed with how things should be when taking things from the PS console games >.>

Jaspaller
Aug 13, 2007, 04:00 PM
Ugh, a reskinned Mad creatures map? WHY ST WHY!??! Oh right, it's because it's ST and they wanna take the lazy mans way out >_>

Mortisx3
Aug 13, 2007, 04:10 PM
The Caves still haunt me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

ThEoRy
Aug 13, 2007, 04:31 PM
On 2007-08-13 14:10, Mortisx3 wrote:
The Caves still haunt me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

`
As I still haunt the caves...

Sinue_v2
Aug 13, 2007, 06:59 PM
Though I do think some of you people are a little too obsessed with how things should be when taking things from the PS console games >.>

Think of it like this... If Bethesda had decided to make an Elder Scrolls: V - but it was an online game set in a totally new world within Nirn.. and the only connection it had to Tamriel and the previous games was a few weapons (like Umbra's sword, but no Umbra) and a few mock references like Emperor Urreal. Not to mention a 4kids'-ish storyline... you don't think people would be upset? You don't think that there'd be more than a few people who you would also see as "obsessed" when wanting the series to go back to it's roots? The difference being, there would be a lot more dissenting voices since Elder Scrolls is a much more popular and a more consistent series.

That's what happens in franchises where you have an established and loved mythos and style which is completely turned on it's head. It happened with PS (and some of us are still around), and also with PSO. It's something that even Final Fantasy has had to deal with - even though it's games change considerably with each installment.

A2K
Aug 13, 2007, 11:31 PM
On 2007-08-13 11:03, EspioKaos wrote:

Heck, I'd prefer Lupus Silva tracks from Episode III over Mother earth of dishonesty, myself.

On 2007-08-13 16:59, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Think of it like this... If Bethesda had decided to make an Elder Scrolls: V - but it was an online game set in a totally new world within Nirn.. and the only connection it had to Tamriel and the previous games was a few weapons (like Umbra's sword, but no Umbra) and a few mock references like Emperor Urreal. Not to mention a 4kids'-ish storyline... you don't think people would be upset? You don't think that there'd be more than a few people who you would also see as "obsessed" when wanting the series to go back to it's roots? The difference being, there would be a lot more dissenting voices since Elder Scrolls is a much more popular and a more consistent series.

I know of people who already complain that every iteration of Elder Scrolls since Daggerfall has become more dumbed down, carebear, etc.

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 13, 2007, 11:47 PM
While I also believe that PSU shat on Phantasy Star Classic something fierce, I do think PSU did some good things to a few of the things, or at least included them...

Casts actually get to use android-specific weapons, most noticably BURSTROC (I forget what it's called here in Gurhal), which were absent from PSO. You have no idea how pissed I was that I couldn't see Burst Rockets (my favorite special skill in PSIV) in realtime combat back in PSO. (And now in PSU they GUARANTEE hits and take no skill to use, also lame but at least helpful and existing.) Granted, none of the beam Busters hold a candle to the good ol' POSIBOLT. And CASTS aint immune to status effects and they don't have immunity from 'mates, resta or have any special repair kits for them. That just adds to my dislike of these Pinocchio-bots. Still, at least special weapons are beng reincarnated, even if MEDICPWR becomes a wingy piece of shit in AoI and PHONONMSR (or however the fuck these were abbreviated cause English takes up too damn much space http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif), to my knowledge, still seems absent.

Weapons...well, we got the Shotgun. But instead of a sub-class or something like it was in PSII (Shotgun and its successors would randomly shoot more than one enemy in a group and it even depended on where RUDO popped up during is attack), it's a whole weapon class and you can either spread your shots at will or concentrate your fire instead of just hoping RUDO would stand on the left side of the screen to do damage to everything (since hitting only one enemy didn't involve concentrated fire).

Ooh, what else did PSU do good for PSClassic...dammit, that's about all I can think of. But...*starts rocking on his rocking chair*...damn I miss the days when swordsmen simply slashed the enemy without performing ballet (even during special moves)...and Megid was based on ANGER...and mazes were well-designed mazes without any of that teleportation bullshit (yes, those pads appeared to be teleporters but they actually function as stairs!)...and gravity techs actually squashed targets unlike the so-called gravity of ramegid...and vehicles didn't suck donkeyballs...and FPV looked truly badass in vehicles...and Dezolisians...zzzzz....

...PIES!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2007-08-13 22:06 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2007-08-13 22:07 ]</font>