PDA

View Full Version : Why not?

NosajX7
Aug 13, 2007, 01:37 PM
You all know how the Agito Replica has the photon edge on it. Seems kinda tacky to me so I was thinking... why not just NOT have a photon on the actual item and just have it on the palette so that and any future non-photon weapon doesn't look so weird.

Nuclearranger
Aug 13, 2007, 01:46 PM
We on the forum cant do anything about it and it doesnt really bother me Idk about everyone elce though

HFlowen
Aug 13, 2007, 01:48 PM
I think they have to have a photon somewhere on the weapon to determine what element it is.

NosajX7
Aug 13, 2007, 01:50 PM
just have the photon in the stats, not the actual weapon. like the %'s in PSO

HFlowen
Aug 13, 2007, 01:56 PM
Sorry, it's not PSO.

NosajX7
Aug 13, 2007, 02:01 PM
I figured I would get something like that...
maybe we shouldn't have photon weapons at all, since they were in PSO

-Rune-
Aug 13, 2007, 02:07 PM
but this is psu o.o? And all non-photon weapons wouldn't be very "phantasy" like ;3;
And quite boring.

HFlowen
Aug 13, 2007, 02:09 PM
Let me elaborate.

No where in PSO was a weapon identified and thus unique in appearance based on it's attribute. (at least not to my knowledge, only ever played on dreamcast.)

PSU's weaponry can be synthesized and customized to specific looks and effectiveness based on the elemental photon used. Melee weapons have a photon edge, guns have a photon ammo storage, wands have a photon alignment.

If you don't like it, then play pso.

-Rune-
Aug 13, 2007, 02:18 PM
On 2007-08-13 12:09, HFlowen wrote:
Let me elaborate.

No where in PSO was a weapon identified and thus unique in appearance based on it's attribute. (at least not to my knowledge, only ever played on dreamcast.)

PSU's weaponry can be synthesized and customized to specific looks and effectiveness based on the elemental photon used. Melee weapons have a photon edge, guns have a photon ammo storage, wands have a photon alignment.

If you don't like it, then play pso.

Yeah pretty much what he said... not really to be rude or anything just... this is a new game and world so gotta deal with the changes.

Plus since we're dealing with photons i think it can give ST more room for creativity in weapon designs <3

Now if only we could have different looking armor when equipped. xD

HFlowen
Aug 13, 2007, 02:21 PM
Yea, don't take it as being rude, I usually come off that way.

Oh, and I forgot about armor element, they change color too. =P

Although it's kind of annoying having neon lights embedded into your shirt.

NosajX7
Aug 13, 2007, 02:22 PM
This even wasn't supposed to be one of those "bring PSO back!" threads, I just wanted to point out that putting photons on places they don't really belong takes away from otherwise cool-looking weapons

HaydenX
Aug 13, 2007, 02:25 PM
On 2007-08-13 12:21, HFlowen wrote:
Yea, don't take it as being rude, I usually come off that way.

Oh, and I forgot about armor element, they change color too. =P

Although it's kind of annoying having neon lights embedded into your shirt.

Nothing wrong with neon shirts...It just lets everyone in a room know, you know. "I'm here..and I'm Fah - Byu - Lusss!" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

NosajX7
Aug 13, 2007, 02:26 PM
and if sonic team REALLY wants to keep the photon colors on the weapons, if they feel like working hard on it (lol), they could always have a shining effect that would show the element.

EspioKaos
Aug 13, 2007, 03:00 PM
On 2007-08-13 12:22, NosajX7 wrote:
This even wasn't supposed to be one of those "bring PSO back!" threads, I just wanted to point out that putting photons on places they don't really belong takes away from otherwise cool-looking weapons

Who says they don't belong? Photon edges and embellishments may not fit according to the standards of weaponry from Earth, but this isn't Earth we're talking about. Personally, I love the way photon is used on these weapons and think that it would look completely out of place if it weren't there. Of course, this is all a matter of opinion. This is just mine. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Sinue_v2
Aug 13, 2007, 03:02 PM
I don't particularly care for photonic weapons and "line sheilds" either. It's perfectly possible to have a futuristic "phantasy" game in which not everything glows like a fucking extacy rave party. One of the bigger problems with these photon blades is, that weapons start looking more and more exactly like each other. There hardly seems any diversity in the weapons because what design changes are present are overshadowed by the glowing parts which draw attention away from the style of the weapon itself.

Note: I'm not as concerned with blades that have a slight "photonic edge". That's not bad - but when damned neared the entire weapon blade is made of photons, it reduces the ability to show off diversity since the photons parts don't allow for texture designs - just the shape of the weapon.

What I'm saying is, a sword that looks something like the Green Destiny sword with a slight outline of photonic energy along the edge of the blade looks better than a Light Saber where the design differences of the hilt are largely covered up by the players hand... Not to mention that it would make a bit more sense to just have the tip of the blade be photonic - since it would require (I assume) less photon energy to maintain that edge which would not need sharpening since it's an energy cutting edge.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-08-13 13:08 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-08-13 13:10 ]</font>

Kion
Aug 13, 2007, 04:06 PM
I'm happy with the way the phton edge is integrated into most weapons. But for some weapons (mainly katanas), i sure hope that they don't have a photon edge on them as the natural look is simply too cool. Maybe we'll see something like the swimsuit for armor, you can still equip an armor, but the color won't show up on the clothes. Likewise hopefully there will be weapons with %'s when viewed in the menu, but not on the item itself.

RegulusHikari
Aug 13, 2007, 04:27 PM
Not having photons on a weapon =/= cry for PSO. Most ORPGs have them, you know. A little variety never hurt anyone.

Why is everybody so hostile around here? Simply referencing to PSO gets you labeled.

Crazy_Hunter
Aug 13, 2007, 04:41 PM
Im just happy they brought back the Agito(well, at least a replica) and with the introduction of 13-15* items (and weapons) It would be AWESOME if the 15* sword turned out to be the Tsimukiri J-Sword(TJS)

ThEoRy
Aug 13, 2007, 04:54 PM
On 2007-08-13 13:02, Sinue_v2 wrote:
I don't particularly care for photonic weapons and "line sheilds" either. It's perfectly possible to have a futuristic "phantasy" game in which not everything glows like a fucking extacy rave party. One of the bigger problems with these photon blades is, that weapons start looking more and more exactly like each other. There hardly seems any diversity in the weapons because what design changes are present are overshadowed by the glowing parts which draw attention away from the style of the weapon itself.

Note: I'm not as concerned with blades that have a slight "photonic edge". That's not bad - but when damned neared the entire weapon blade is made of photons, it reduces the ability to show off diversity since the photons parts don't allow for texture designs - just the shape of the weapon.

What I'm saying is, a sword that looks something like the Green Destiny sword with a slight outline of photonic energy along the edge of the blade looks better than a Light Saber where the design differences of the hilt are largely covered up by the players hand... Not to mention that it would make a bit more sense to just have the tip of the blade be photonic - since it would require (I assume) less photon energy to maintain that edge which would not need sharpening since it's an energy cutting edge.

Excellent point.
I'd have to agree that Ancient Saber > Light Saber.
It'd be a real shame to see finely crafted works of art go the way of the dodo. Why not just have awesome looking actual blades with a surrounding photon aura? Cant be 2 hard. SoulCalibur does it quite nicely in fact.

Darkly
Aug 13, 2007, 05:02 PM
a thought i had was that instead of a photon edge, why not just a glowing reactor at the bottom of the sword, this kind of intergrates pso's ancient style weapons but still keeps it psu with the neon glow

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Darkly on 2007-08-13 15:03 ]</font>

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 13, 2007, 05:03 PM
I've always thought the photon blades were needed to easily slice through the hide of any monster, thus was more practical than a solid weapon which may dull or simply not penetrate thick hide. However, the differing levels of damage inflicted upon certain monsters, like the Onmagoug, suggests otherwise. (Sure, it may depend on the vital bodily functions of a monster, like a dragon's head, but come on---what the fuck internal organs could possibly be housed inside the WINGS of the onmagoug? I dunno about you, but I would want a nice scientific explanation for that. This is sci-fi after all. But I digress.)

Also, check out axes...

http://www.pso-world.com/psu/items/1087/4789-m.jpg

http://www.pso-world.com/psu/items/1583/4577-m.jpg
Note how these axes have lots of blunt object behind the photon "blades". If we really need photons so damn much, what's with all the bluntness? Whereas a photon saber could slice right through with any part of the blade, just about any non-tip of the blade of the axe would lead to some blunt trauma. Not to mention that these things are pretty much wielded like big hammers...
http://www.pso-world.com/psu/items/865/5252-m.jpg
On this sword especially, I could imagine the blade cutting right through, with the blunt part perhaps widening the wound as it goes through.

But really, why does nearly everything have to be photon? We take assloads of damage from PHYSICAL attacks...you know, like getting run over by a dragon or having an ollaka thrown at us by an onmagoug. So why can't we bash things with blunt weapons or slice through things with nice, solid weapons? (Anybody remember the Steel, Ceramic and Laconia weapons? And whoever does, can you tell me what the Neisword and Elsydeon were made of? Maybe they had some primitive form of photon?)

Could it be that the Gurhal "culture" (I use this term loosely as one barely exists) simply has no idea what it's like to wield solid weapons, given that just about everything manufactured by GRM, Youmei and Tenora uses so much photon?

HFlowen
Aug 13, 2007, 05:07 PM
You are thinking into this WAY too much.

Parn
Aug 13, 2007, 05:12 PM
You know... there's approximately 41245231187319287401 online and offline RPGs with metal and wood weapons. Could we please quit griping about one of the few things that makes this game stand out?

Sychosis
Aug 13, 2007, 05:18 PM
On 2007-08-13 15:12, Parn wrote:
You know... there's approximately 41245231187319287401 online and offline RPGs with metal and wood weapons. Could we please quit griping about one of the few things that makes this game stand out?

But I want old, archaic style weapons that would theoretically be horrendously inefficient compared to new, highly advanced weaponry because it looks like all the same crap we have today! ;_;

Xaeris
Aug 13, 2007, 05:19 PM
It seems to me that if Gurhal ever runs into a photon shortage, they are just *screwed.* You'd think a civilization this advanced would have branched out into several kinds of technological innovations, but nooo. Is there anything in this game that isn't explained by photons in some way?

Where's the nuclear fusion? The hydrogen cell? The nanotechnology? A saber that changes shape for optimum aerodynamics in mid swing would be *awesome*.

ThEoRy
Aug 13, 2007, 05:20 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psu/items/865/5252-m.jpg

I just wanna point out that the back side of the blade is used for skinning the hide of your victims... uh monsters, I mean monsters. Skinning the hide of the monsters.

Sychosis
Aug 13, 2007, 05:28 PM
On 2007-08-13 15:19, Xaeris wrote:
It seems to me that if Gurhal ever runs into a photon shortage, they are just *screwed.* You'd think a civilization this advanced would have branched out into several kinds of technological innovations, but nooo. Is there anything in this game that isn't explained by photons in some way?

Where's the nuclear fusion? The hydrogen cell? The nanotechnology? A saber that changes shape for optimum aerodynamics in mid swing would be *awesome*.

Photon shortage? Aren't photons the basis of life in PSU? If there is a "photon shortage" there are more important things to worry about than snazzy weapons.

There are already devices that distort space. And why would they need nuclear energy if photons have proven more efficient/cleaner/more powerful than any other known energy source? Even within photon technology there are strides to make. The evolution from photon to A-photon energy, and the refinement of said A-photon technology like the ancient civilization had and subsequently died because of.

Also, PHANTASY Star Universe.

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 13, 2007, 05:31 PM
The complaints are that nearly everything is made of glowstick. That has gotten pretty boring. A few 'antique' weapons would not hurt anything. And remember, a really hard blunt force or a solid blade (which I will admit is relatively impractical) could be as damaging as a photon blade, as is proven by our tendency to be hurt by the legs of a dragon if we get too close.

As for standing out...this is sci-fi amidst a plethora of generic fantasy, not to mention that it has a behind-the-back view when other online action RPGs used the Diablo-clone top-down view. (As far as I can tell, Monster Hunter remains the ONLY thing I can closely compare this to in terms of gameplay.) It'd still stand out without the glowsticks. Phantasy Star Classic games stood out without the glowsticks too despite having gameplay which...um, didn't really stand out but had an awesome presentation. Trust me, PSU would have no trouble standing out. And there is WAY more to sci-fi than just deadly neon lights.

Darkly
Aug 13, 2007, 05:32 PM
Personally, I want the weapons to stay how they are, keeping in with the style of psu but, a few 'normal' rare s-ranks wouldn't really hurt either.

majan
Aug 13, 2007, 05:39 PM
are we really having this conversation?if you dont like psu's futuristic theme,go play another rpg,man.

fyi also,in pso,there were photon weapons just as much as in this game,so I dont know where your really trying to go with insinuating that these weapons are entierly different than pso ones.in the end,who really gives a damn?most of us seem to think that most weapons in the game look badass,some more that others,but thats the idea.if the futuristic style bothers you that much,then this game is not for you.

also,in case you havent picked up on this,
PSU elements = PSO %'s, or, "attributes"
there was no such thing as element in PSO except for technics,and those were pretty much randomly assigned to enemies and bosses.when it came to melee and ranged,only the "attribute" was what mattered.in this game,its taken more of a swing to how technics were thought of in PSO where elements do the talking and not those weird ass "attributes".

'bring back pso!' thread or not,this argument is borderline futile.if you dont like it,go to gamestop and pick up another game,man.

also,there is a photon shortage.have you seen the ray-photon prices lately?its like gasoline!wait,gasoline?real life?WTF?!!????!11!1!

Xaeris
Aug 13, 2007, 05:45 PM
On 2007-08-13 15:28, Sychosis wrote:

Photon shortage? Aren't photons the basis of life in PSU? If there is a "photon shortage" there are more important things to worry about than snazzy weapons.

There are already devices that distort space. And why would they need nuclear energy if photons have proven more efficient/cleaner/more powerful than any other known energy source? Even within photon technology there are strides to make. The evolution from photon to A-photon energy, and the refinement of said A-photon technology like the ancient civilization had and subsequently died because of.

Also, PHANTASY Star Universe.

Photons may be the basis of life and omnipresent, but that doesn't mean it's all usuable for the purposes of energy. For example, water is much more abundant in real life, yet most of it is undrinkable. If they ran into a shortage of naturally occurring, solidified photon clusters, they would be screwed.

I'm just coming up with examples here. The point is, it's rather odd that three different worlds with different cultures all came to operate on the same power source when here, in a single country, there are a menagerie of ways to power a device.

And yes, PHANTASY Star Universe. Personally, I like my phantasies diverse and their worlds not built upon one gimmick. However, I've made peace with the fact that every weapon in the existence of this game will likely involve photon technology in some way or another. Still, if the opportunity comes up to share my thoughts, I'll do it.

HFlowen
Aug 13, 2007, 05:47 PM
Dear god, why is this topic still moving?

Josko
Aug 13, 2007, 05:49 PM
Everything in the future must glow. It's a rule.

On the other hand... hey, I'm always up for new weapons.

Heh. Photon shortage... I kinda like that. I can just imagine some poor guardian, surrounded by charging koltova's, desperately shaking his fizzled out photon blade handle up and down.

Xaeris
Aug 13, 2007, 05:51 PM
On 2007-08-13 15:39, majan wrote:
are we really having this conversation?if you dont like psu's futuristic theme,go play another rpg,man.

'bring back pso!' thread or not,this argument is borderline futile.if you dont like it,go to gamestop and pick up another game,man.

All right. Not liking everything from guns to frying pans glowing like a cluster**** of fireflies != not liking a futuristic motif. Or, to make it simpler...

Sci-fi != glowy

And why is it such a big deal to have a discussion that likely won't bear any fruit? How the hell do you people talk to your friends in real life if you avoid engaging in any conversation that doesn't evoke change on an epic scale?

majan
Aug 13, 2007, 05:52 PM
unfortunately sonic team didnt invite us medigons to a pow-wow and coombaya session while brainstorming this game,otherwise things would be slightly different Id imagine.still though,I dont mind the sci-fi approach.I mean,shit,how many games are out there with the medieval approach?besides,how are you supposed to explain that one peice of metal is better than the other?think of how much fantasy leeway "photon energy" gives you.read some of the descriptions of the weapons every now and then.8* weapons (most of them) are "powered by a high-output,lightweight photon reactor with high stability and yadda yadda..." you upgrade to 11* and some descriptions read: "top-of-the line unstable axe with multiple photon cores and yadda yadda..." the photon idea gives the imagination a lot more leeway with making shit up that sounds really,really cool.if you take normal weapons made of "blunt" stuff and metal and whatnot,how cool can you make it sound other than saying this armor is made of seriously tough dragon's hide!or,this very axe here was used by the great Grealthemius Gorthelheimer Messerschmidt himself! has amazing attack power and durability! yeah! worth 900 of your friend's best items!...yeah,some games are awesome with that(hats off to warcraft,diablo,well,all things Blizzard Entertainment) but that style is played out for a bit and has been since the debut of rpg's.as someone whos been enjoying the hell out of rpgs for a long time,psu is a bit of a refreshing change of pace if you ask me.

Sinue_v2
Aug 13, 2007, 07:39 PM
Could we please quit griping about one of the few things that makes this game stand out?

See Jife's reply.

Where's the nuclear fusion? The hydrogen cell? The nanotechnology?

I couldn't tell you about the rest, but as for nanotechnology - it exists. You just don't hear about it. Ever, except for one instance... Magashi kills Dr. Daren using nanomachines in his bloodstream.

If there is a "photon shortage" there are more important things to worry about than snazzy weapons.

That's actually a very good setup. Think of it like this... a long time ago the PS teams had thought about a sequel to PS which would take place in another galaxy and involve killing the Great Light in order to keep the Profound Darkness from returning. (Light.. Darkness.. A pair exists... Reincarnation is the rule, etc) Photons are worshiped as a manifestation of the (Holy)Great Light. Photons and A-Photons are the basis of all of Gurhal's major technologies. While I agree it's annoying as hell to have everything, right down to the toilet paper you wipe your digital ass with as you get off the Cosmo Fountain to be totally reliant on this "mystical" Photon technology... imagine...

Imagine if, by the end of the game, you did have to kill the Holy Light. You were forced to destroy the very source of what makes the highly advanced life in Gurhal possible... it would be a massive and devastating blow to the Gurhalian people, throwing civilization back to the dark ages. But in that devastation remained hope - a future where those in Gurhal stand on their own feet and forge their own destiny freed from the shadow of the battle between light and darkness.

most of us seem to think that most weapons in the game look badass,some more that others

That's not saying much, considering the game is rather unpopular. You often don't hear dissenting opinions about the weapons since most of the people who are left are those that are satisfied with the game, including the weapons.

And finally, as said... Sci-Fi != glowy neon. And if PSU -NEEDS- the neon to stand out among it's competitors, then Sonic Team isn't trying hard enough.

majan
Aug 13, 2007, 07:55 PM
On 2007-08-13 17:39, Sinue_v2 wrote:

most of us seem to think that most weapons in the game look badass,some more that others

That's not saying much, considering the game is rather unpopular. You often don't hear dissenting opinions about the weapons since most of the people who are left are those that are satisfied with the game, including the weapons.

And finally, as said... Sci-Fi != glowy neon. And if PSU -NEEDS- the neon to stand out among it's competitors, then Sonic Team isn't trying hard enough.

well I was saying,generally,people seem to enjoy the sci fi theme,whether sci fi ! = glowy neon or not....I meant to say that people playing the game seem attracted to the futuristic ambiance of the game.those that left,as you said,quite obvoiusly,left because they didnt like it.not every rpg is for everybody.

also,you are quite right saying that this game is fairly unpopular.this is because sega apparently does not beleive in any sort of marketing scheme in the USA,whatsoever.have you seen a single PSu commercial?ever?no.even a billboard in a mall somewhere?nope....sega has not marketed this game at all,and yet the 360 community is roughly around 3000 people plus,at least.(judging from how many people are on at peak times,factoring in the people that usually play but arent at that given moment..)apparently (someone once had a link on this board that gave this information..dont remember when/who)there have been 7700 or so guardians licenses sold on psu for the 360 version(I dont have a number for pc ps2).if its this popular without any marketing whatsoever,I say its a success.surely itll never live up to things that blizzard have done,but frankly Im not that big a fan of WoW and diablo II is so far gone(old game,bugged glitched scammed and hacked to hell and back) that Im glad psu is what it is.that said,not every rpg is for everybody,so people will pick and choose as they go along.hence people quitting,and people staying,and people not trying it out in the first place.

on topic,though,I think the weapons in this game are just fine-diddly.

Sinue_v2
Aug 13, 2007, 08:08 PM
this is because sega apparently does not beleive in any sort of marketing scheme in the USA

Bullshit. Lack of advertising didn't help, but the biggest screwup they made was by releasing a demo and making players wait a full year to get the game they paid for. Even now the game is rather light in content, and it won't be until AoI that the game will actually feel somewhat "complete" judging by the reaction of those who have played even just the demo of that.

It was a lack of content which struck the largest blow to PSU. And there was some advertising... such as the PSU EGM cover issue and being nominated for the best RPG by several outlets covering E3.

But... that's off topic.

I'm not saying that neon-glow weapons will cause people to quit - but it's one of a multitude of issues people have with the game. And this is certainly not the first time this issue has been brought up here.

Zorafim
Aug 13, 2007, 08:29 PM
Fact: Any topic which two people don't completely agree on will result in an epic flame war if posted on PSOW.

Also, why do I always end up agreeing with Sinue?

DAMASCUS
Aug 13, 2007, 11:59 PM
I would have to agree that it would be cool to have some rare weapons with no elemental property they are just really strong and cool looking. They way I see it they have forced element S Ranks so why not forced non elemental weapons? In reference to PSO though most weapons had some glowing( if not meaningless ) element to their appearance so the few ancient weapons( Agito, Yasminkov's, updated Last Survivor, etc. ) were fun and unique.

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 14, 2007, 12:10 AM
On 2007-08-13 21:59, DAMASCUS wrote:
I would have to agree that it would be cool to have some rare weapons with no elemental property they are just really strong and cool looking. They way I see it they have forced element S Ranks so why not forced non elemental weapons? In reference to PSO though most weapons had some glowing( if not meaningless ) element to their appearance so the few ancient weapons( Agito, Yasminkov's, updated Last Survivor, etc. ) were fun and unique.

Considering that we're making the weapons with our PMs instead of finding them out in the wild, it would make sense that NO weapons had forced elements. That would add more customizability to your arsenal...there could be some downsides though. But fuck it, customization is good.