PDA

View Full Version : Yet another thinking about leaving post...

Kinfante
Aug 13, 2007, 04:59 PM
I know, annoying...lol.

But I need to know.

I don't plan on leaving PSU all together, I just am thinking about leaving the PC/PS2 version.

So I have some questions to ask you....
1) How is the 360 version? I know the population is good, but how about everything, just give me some pro's and cons about 360.
2) PC has a very low population, the're only at the hotspots, is it like that on the 360 version as well?
3) Do you think when the expansion comes out, more people will be playing back on the PC/PS2 versions?

Just some question before I officially think about leaving.

ThEoRy
Aug 13, 2007, 05:04 PM
1.There's good/bad things
2.Yes/no
3.maybe

Sychosis
Aug 13, 2007, 05:04 PM
PC/PS2 COMMUNITY SUCKS.
360 COMMUNITY SUCKS.

There, 95% of this topic's future responses summed up in two little lines. And this one >.>

HFlowen
Aug 13, 2007, 05:06 PM
Idiots are everywhere.

Just something to take note before anyone tries to argue one community being better than the other.

CupOfCoffee
Aug 13, 2007, 05:14 PM
I can't speak about the 360 servers, but general precedent has shown that expansions often boost the population by a lot for a little while, but then it tapers back off as people who had previously quit and then returned for the expansion tend to a) complete the new stuff that got added, or b) realize that it's still the same game that drove them away, only with some new classes and a couple of fixes to problems that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

So yeah, it'll be repopulated again for a while. But eventually it'll be back to how it was before (is now).

Kinfante
Aug 13, 2007, 05:17 PM
On 2007-08-13 15:14, CupOfCoffee wrote:
I can't speak about the 360 servers, but general precedent has shown that expansions often boost the population by a lot for a little while, but then it tapers back off as people who had previously quit and then returned for the expansion tend to a) complete the new stuff that got added, or b) realize that it's still the same game that drove them away, only with some new classes and a couple of fixes to problems that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

So yeah, it'll be repopulated again for a while. But eventually it'll be back to how it was before (is now).

First useful response.

Thank you..

Kylie
Aug 13, 2007, 05:21 PM
1) Only thing I know is that it has more people, and that's not always a good thing. :/ Other than that, I can't imagine it being that different.
2) I don't think so.
3) Yes, I know so, unless something freaky happens. They'll come back... for a while at least, if not permanent.

Hey, quit if you want to.

Parn
Aug 13, 2007, 05:24 PM
1. Quick pros: best audio/visual presentation for PSU. You get crystal clear music and sound effects which were noticably louder than both PC/PS2, and you get more visual effects with increased draw distance. The only real advantage PC has over 360 visually is a lack of framerate issues, but that's about it.

2. The 360 community has the same problems as PC/PS2 with players congregating at one spot and spamming it non-stop. People are unwilling to spread out. Some folks will claim 360 has more jerks, but that's because the population as a whole is larger. The jackass to nice guy ratio is pretty much the same. Just like on PC/PS2, you have to hook up with the right people if you want to have decent people to play with. If you do make the transition to 360, it's recommended to get in touch with folks here on 360 or you will have to deal with whatever open games you can get into. There's plenty of them, but they're almost always set to Give Finder.

3. The expansion will bring back some folks to PC/PS2. It will also bring back more cheaters, who will put forth extra effort to ruin things for the playerbase there, since they thrive on the misery of others. They'll do it until the population goes back to being almost non-existant, just like before. As far as 360 goes, I'm expecting the population to go down due to the iminent release of Halo 3. We'll see I suppose.

-dis-
Aug 13, 2007, 05:37 PM
I think the community you find largely depends on your own initiative and what you're after.

If you find certain posters here to share outlook, then try to meet up with them in the game. Be outgoing AND thick-skinned in joining pick-up groups. Eventually, you'll find some good core group, I'd bet.

Parn is right about Halo 3 causing a population drop. But it's appeal will fade quickly for people who really like PSU, I'd imagine. So overall it will drop, but for how long and to exactly how great an extent we don't know. For me, I know I prefer the continual impersonal disappointment my PSU addiction brings to the continual personal tea-bagging a Halo addiction brings.

JAFO22000
Aug 13, 2007, 05:39 PM
1) 360 version is fine. Parn and others who have been on both are the only ones who can give you a definitive answer regarding a comparison. Pros on 360: voice chat (can be a con too!), higher population, steady economy. Cons on 360: voice chat (can be a pro too!), scammers, SPAMMERS, stingy elitists (like me!).

2) Most of the sheep on 360 do spam the "hot mission of the week", but for the most part, you can find people doing other missions. Even on universe 22 yesterday, our group saw a few other parties running around on Neudaiz and Parum! I've always been an advocate of running pick up groups until you find some individuals who want to play the game the same way as you, then making a "group" with them. You'll have the most fun this way.

3) Yes, as mentioned earlier, expansions do bring people back, but usually only the core (and maybe a few other players!) will stay while the rest will move on to something else. Be forewarned that expansions usually back hackers as well.

OldCoot
Aug 13, 2007, 05:42 PM
The econmy for the 360 is doing well but prices are staring to go up with the easy missions to earn meseta. I guess if folks want to do HSM a thousand times to make it big, more power to them. But, prices will go up with more meseta in the system.

Thankfully, I have not heard back accounts being hacked unless someone choose to give out their password. Never heard of PM bombing or other things for the 360 side either. If this has happened it is very rare but I have not heard about it.

On another board some of the players who are just getting in are complaining about getting into and staying with parties. I assume if they are being anoying they won't say, but with HSM and the strong desire to earn quickly (just like Bruce was) it pays to have high level characters for those missions. Like the above poster stated, people are not spread out so you will have to go where the people are to find a party.

Also you will have voice chat and it works for the most part if you choose to use that. I find this is so useful so you can talk to folks while grinding away.

If you have not already tried it, download the demo and try that for a while though live. I admit there is a lot of bad things for the demo, and the online fee works wonders as a filter for a lot of it.($10 a month and silver is fine.) But, the demo will give you a good feel of what PSU though Xbox is like.

Lastly, is the hardware failure itself that seems to be more of a game stopper for a lot people where PC/PS2/PS3 seems to be more stable on that account. I am on my second xbox and second power supply at the moment. This might be a factor for you to consider in downtime. Always seems to die during big events.

I hope this helps.

Darkly
Aug 13, 2007, 05:44 PM
Concerning the population change, i agree that halo 3 amongst other games will cause a population drop, luckily psu has a bit of a cult following that will prevent it from dying. I also agree with -dis- in that the population will eventaully return and hopefully increase overall due to the expansion.

Parn
Aug 13, 2007, 05:46 PM
I know I'll be sticking around on PSU for awhile to come. Nothing short of Square Enix and/or Bioware's next-gen MMO projects will pull me away for good.

-dis-
Aug 13, 2007, 05:47 PM
On 2007-08-13 15:46, Parn wrote:
I know I'll be sticking around on PSU for awhile to come. Nothing short of Square Enix and/or Bioware's next-gen MMO projects will pull me away for good.

And by the time those come out, you might be able to run all the S2's, Parn!

Parn
Aug 13, 2007, 05:48 PM
Could be! At current rate, I'm still at least four months away from hitting level 80. The expansion ought to be out by then!

Cort1984
Aug 13, 2007, 06:03 PM
its pointless people will get tired after expansion like said eailer and jus leave again

Soulvayne
Aug 14, 2007, 03:51 PM
The 360 community might be doing well at the moment, but I expect there to be a huge drop off once Halo 3 comes out just like there was a huge drop off in PSO when Halo 2 came out.

McLaughlin
Aug 14, 2007, 04:48 PM
People expected Gears to nerf our population, but it rebounded after two weeks (we only lost the inhabitants of Universe 3 anyway). I expect the same to happen with Halo3.

Expansions tend to suck people in for a bit, but usually people leave for the same reasons they did the last time. I'd also be wary of "The return of the Hackers." They flock to expansions like moths to a flame.

I can't speak on the community comparisons, but it's not terribly difficult to get a party in whatever area you're looking for. People tend to be rather open about giving away their Partner Cards, so contacting people you enjoyed playing with shouldn't be very hard. I'd say, heed Parn's opinion, as he's the only one here who's played on both versions.

PALRAPPYS
Aug 14, 2007, 05:37 PM
On 2007-08-14 14:48, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
People expected Gears to nerf our population, but it rebounded after two weeks (we only lost the inhabitants of Universe 3 anyway). I expect the same to happen with Halo3.

Exactly. Even now though we have about 3*+ in universe 3.

Expansions tend to suck people in for a bit, but usually people leave for the same reasons they did the last time. I'd also be wary of "The return of the Hackers." They flock to expansions like moths to a flame.

Expansions will suck people in for the new content, but there will also be people who won't be getting the expansion too. Of course all people who love PSU will.

And about hackers... for 360, I really will be surprised when hackers will start to be serious. I'm not sure if my source is right, but I heard a hacker attempted to hack into Xbox Live this morning but was caught and immediately banned, and is why friends who haven't yet logged in say "offline."

I can't speak on the community comparisons, but it's not terribly difficult to get a party in whatever area you're looking for. People tend to be rather open about giving away their Partner Cards, so contacting people you enjoyed playing with shouldn't be very hard. I'd say, heed Parn's opinion, as he's the only one here who's played on both versions.

Parn's opinion seems pretty accurate as far as I've seen. Also parties should be open everywhere; on 360's universe 3 with generally 3* or so, parties are easy to find. On PC/PS2 they have 4 1/2* or so, so I'd assume parties wouldn't be any hassle to get into.

BanF
Aug 14, 2007, 06:24 PM
On 2007-08-14 13:51, Soulvayne wrote:
The 360 community might be doing well at the moment, but I expect there to be a huge drop off once Halo 3 comes out just like there was a huge drop off in PSO when Halo 2 came out.

But there was no noticeable drop off when GoW came out, so I don't really expect anything noticeable.

Anyway, OP, if you're leaving and play on the 360 then gib rarz kthxbie.

Jet1337
Aug 14, 2007, 07:19 PM
Two Worlds is out. Why are you people still playing this game???

BigBadWolf
Aug 14, 2007, 09:49 PM
Actually my 360 friend said he played that game and claimed that the combat engined really sucked and that it's no wear near as good as ESIV: Oblivion. Also even though this shouldn't have any impact on gameplay I heard that there was a severe lack of female characters (besides the hero's sister) in that game.
No information on the online aspect though

Pentence
Aug 14, 2007, 10:41 PM
Well 360 has more people on at a giventime yes.Mainly this is due to the demos they have.Alot of people play the demo then get into psu for 360.

Also though do NOT forget you can use the SAME guardians acount for both version of PSU.So dont toss out that old ps2/pc disk just yet.You will still be paying to use those characters too,so if ya ever feel the urge to play that ver you can.

Soulvayne
Aug 15, 2007, 11:05 AM
On 2007-08-14 16:24, BanF wrote:

On 2007-08-14 13:51, Soulvayne wrote:

But there was no noticeable drop off when GoW came out, so I don't really expect anything noticeable.

Anyway, OP, if you're leaving and play on the 360 then gib rarz kthxbie.

I can't speak in regards to the drop off in PSU due to Gears of War seeing as Gears of War was released on the 360 11/07/06 and PSU was released on 10/25/06. So I'm not sure exactly how much of an established community there was on PSU at that time. (I was playing PSU, have never played GoW online.)
All I can really say is that Gears of War is not Halo. Understandably after Gears of War came out it eventually knocked Halo 2 off as the most played game on xbox live. I still believe Halo 2 is one of the top 5 played games. Take a look at these stats just for the Halo 3 beta courtesy of majornelson.com

Now that the Halo 3 beta has ended, we’ve tabulated some interesting data: There were 820,000 unique participants with more than 12 million hours of online H3 gameplay in its short test period, equivalent to more than 1,400 years of continuous play by one person. Also, Halo 3 was responsible for over 350 terabytes of data downloaded from LIVE. (I can’t wait until e gets that bill)

I think that nearly a million people playing a beta (even consider the amount of people that payed 50-60.00 for a copy of Crackdown just to play a beta) is probably a good sign that Halo 3 is going to siphon off a chunk of the PSU 360 community.

Personally, I find Halo games get boring after a week or two (I'll buy it and play the single player with friends of course), and maybe others will feel that same way and come back to playing PSU once the Halo novelty wears off. At the same time however; I just use playing PSU as a break at times when I get bored of playing FFXI, so I'm just now coming back to PSU after having been gone since the release of the advanced types and the first S rank missions way back when.

youthisoverrated
Aug 15, 2007, 11:13 AM
1. PSO people on the 360 are awesome, but for the must part, what i've seen a lot of the other people suck. a lot of drama. but i guess you could void that if you stay away from the fourth floor

2. population's pretty good, but once again not all it's cracked up to be

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: iamgir42 on 2007-08-15 09:14 ]</font>

-dis-
Aug 15, 2007, 11:19 AM
On 2007-08-15 09:13, iamgir42 wrote:
What is it "cracked up to be"?

JAFO22000
Aug 15, 2007, 01:09 PM
On 2007-08-15 09:19, -dis- wrote:

On 2007-08-15 09:13, iamgir42 wrote:
What is it "cracked up to be"?

Every universe at 4+ stars...

pikachief
Aug 15, 2007, 01:30 PM
heres your answer.

yes there are more people. Can u find a party anywhere? No. There's just a LOT more people at seabed and HSM than PC http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

everyone will always act the same anywhere u go cuz they're people.

and it will most likely be more populated on PC but i dont imagine it being THAT MUCH more populated, and even so when it comes out the 360 will be more populated also.