PDA

View Full Version : Do you Solo with NPCs?

ZEO_X
Aug 16, 2007, 04:34 AM
I thought I would make a post about it because I still hear about it from people.

“Does having NPCs or your PM in a party effect drops?”

So have you ever noticed getting better rares having and not having Lou in your party? Or any of the other NPCs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZEO_X on 2007-08-17 12:16 ]</font>

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 16, 2007, 04:36 AM
I take them with me sometimes, but actually they're a burden when I am trying to solo sometimes because they run out in the open and bring enemies into my safespots.

Aralia
Aug 16, 2007, 05:42 AM
It's not worth it to bring NPC's in unless you're unable to solo the mission in the first place, since they just draw some of the aggro.

I solo without them to make my life easier. The more control I have over what's going on.. the easier the run will be.

Also, I just generally dislike all the NPC's cept tohnio and my PM's. >.>

Hrith
Aug 16, 2007, 06:34 AM
You should try Maya, then. Since the AI upgrade, she's like Resta, Diza, Resta, Diza, Resta, Diza, Resta, Diza, whether your or her HP is low or not. That plus my PM's resta when she needs it is very helpful for classes without access to techs; I solo missions with Lv100+ monsters without using a single mate, that cannot be ignored. PMs also do really nice damage.

It's fun to see bosses rape NPCs, too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_shy.gif

DarkShadowX
Aug 16, 2007, 06:42 AM
Depending on my mood, I may or may not use my NPCs. They can be helpful at times, but others just useless. But then I don't solo all that much myself so its pretty much moot.

toxic_rf
Aug 16, 2007, 07:09 AM
At higher levels they are invaluable as meat sheilds. You can just sit there sniping while they are in there, distracting the enemy and getting killed. Really, I don't worry about rank if I'm playing alone. Besides, I hit job 10 ages ago.

And at very low levels they can be useful too. My Fortetecher got her 420 when she was about level 10. Having a durable level 20 fighter type PM alongside me helped me no end when I did the highest missions I could for EXP.

amtalx
Aug 16, 2007, 08:15 AM
I do sometimes...just to watch them die.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 16, 2007, 08:27 AM
I think most of the people make up excuses to have NPC's, because the "meatshield" thing doesn't work, and the only reason I ever bring my PM is because she can use Dark Shot Lv21 and put virus effects on enemies.

Medic
Aug 16, 2007, 08:27 AM
I also like watching them die. and once i get giresta it'll be perfect exp.

Fure_Rakune
Aug 16, 2007, 08:31 AM
No, hell I dont even solo.
In fact, Im anti-solo.
Theres nothing more disheartening than searching 20 minutes going through lobbies and sub-lobbies, trying to find a party to do some damn runs just for fun.
Every lobby is flooded with locked games that have three people: two npc's and one actual player.
Is there a social disconnect in this game where players cant open up and just play the fucking game?

-dis-
Aug 16, 2007, 08:34 AM
On 2007-08-16 06:27, 360NyTeMaRe wrote:
I think most of the people make up excuses to have NPC's, because the "meatshield" thing doesn't work.

It works for me. Maybe you don't know what you're doing.

Dj_SkyEpic
Aug 16, 2007, 08:36 AM
I've been with NPCs 95% of the time. I find lil tricks and such with Tonnio and Leo where as I get them to Nano a lot during a mission while I just sit back and heal.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 16, 2007, 08:37 AM
On 2007-08-16 06:34, -dis- wrote:

I think most of the people make up excuses to have NPC's, because the "meatshield" thing doesn't work.

Maybe you just don't know how to stay alive without two bodies in between you and enemies.

Since I don't use the NPC's as "meat shields", I can't be good at doing it.

I think you and your uselessness would make a much better shield, you seem to be smart enough to run in front of the enemies' attacks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 360NyTeMaRe on 2007-08-16 06:38 ]</font>

-dis-
Aug 16, 2007, 08:45 AM
On 2007-08-16 06:37, 360NyTeMaRe wrote:

Maybe you just don't know how to stay alive without two bodies in between you and enemies.

I think you and your uselessness would make a much better shield, you seem to be smart enough to run in front of the enemies' attacks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 360NyTeMaRe on 2007-08-16 06:38 ]</font>
Sorry to get you so uppity. But perhaps instead of saying things like "the meatshield thing doesn't work", you should ask other people if they can manage to make it work. Or perhaps wonder if you are doing something wrong. Or perhaps more simply and more honestly just say "I can't get the meatshield thing to work".

When you extrapolate from your own experience to absolute truths, you come across as a dumb kid.

Midicronica
Aug 16, 2007, 08:51 AM
I solo'd with my PM and Laia in Train Rescue S2. Laia made a damn fine meatshield to block Gohma Dilla bullets and missles while I pegged away at them with Killer Shot. The NPC's provide a very good distraction for the enemies giving you the opportunity to apply SE's or just run for your fucking life...a.k.a. meatshield. Wonderful thing, it is.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 16, 2007, 08:51 AM
On 2007-08-16 06:45, -dis- wrote:

On 2007-08-16 06:37, 360NyTeMaRe wrote:

Sorry to get you so uppity. But perhaps instead of saying things like "the meatshield thing doesn't work", you should ask other people if they can manage to make it work. Or perhaps wonder if you are doing something wrong. Or perhaps more simply and more honestly just say "I can't get the meatshield thing to work".

When you extrapolate from your own experience to absolute truths, you come across as a dumb kid.

Well, I really don't care what you think. I say that "meat shields" don't work, because they die too easily in the only missions they're needed in, such as Mad Beasts S2 and Train Rescue S2.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 360NyTeMaRe on 2007-08-16 06:53 ]</font>

-dis-
Aug 16, 2007, 08:52 AM
On 2007-08-16 06:51, 360NyTeMaRe wrote:

Well, I really don't care what you think. I say that "meat shields" don't work, because they die too easily in the only missions they're needed in, such as Mad Beasts S2 and Train Rescue S2.

They die too easily "for you". They don't die too easily for me. I'm not hurt that you don't care what I think. But it is a shame that you are so closed-minded, since you could learn how better to use your npc's. Toodles.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -dis- on 2007-08-16 06:53 ]</font>

biggabertha
Aug 16, 2007, 05:43 PM
Let's face it, when you solo, you get bored looking at the same swarm of enemies over and over. I bring along my GH-440 because I love her dress and her hat. I briing Laia along because I love her clothes and well... Her...

How useful are they? I don't know.. It's been so long since I've NOT partied without them that I miss seeing them in parties and well.. I think I may actually play worse then..

Sychosis
Aug 16, 2007, 05:48 PM
No, things die too slowly with them around.

Xaeris
Aug 16, 2007, 05:59 PM
I bring mine. Philia starts churning out the 10%s if I don't take her out to play now and then.

Note: No, I'm not saying B Stat has anything to do with synthesis.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 16, 2007, 07:43 PM
On 2007-08-16 06:52, -dis- wrote:

They die too easily "for you". They don't die too easily for me. I'm not hurt that you don't care what I think. But it is a shame that you are so closed-minded, since you could learn how better to use your npc's. Toodles.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -dis- on 2007-08-16 06:53 ]</font>

Nice to know you edited your message a couple hours after I got offline.

Sekani
Aug 16, 2007, 07:54 PM

[ This Message was edited by: -dis- on 2007-08-16 06:53 ]

Parn
Aug 16, 2007, 07:58 PM
http://synbios.net/images/misc/popcorn.gif

Anduril
Aug 16, 2007, 08:00 PM
Shouldn't there be a sometimes option?
Depending on the run I take them along, but other times I just go on my own. They make good decoys for some runs, but a hindrance on other (especially if Megid is involved).

LS_Aksion
Aug 16, 2007, 08:31 PM
its hard getting a full team at times.

so at least 3 to 4 ppl then an NPC [s] can be less stressful in my veiw.

watashiwa
Aug 16, 2007, 10:25 PM
On 2007-08-16 17:58, Parn wrote:

Friggin' brilliant, lol.

Powder Keg
Aug 16, 2007, 10:36 PM
They're good for distracting enemies, so yes.

Dj_SkyEpic
Aug 16, 2007, 10:39 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e349/skyepic/psu20070817_120220_012.jpg

Those are my only friends around with me. So that's how I get around now.

Eureka
Aug 16, 2007, 11:09 PM
On 2007-08-16 17:58, Parn wrote:

This is why Parn is the sexiest guy in Gurhal.

Depends on the mission, really. If I take my PM along, its so I can level up the B Stat. And because I know the enemies there aren't so strong they would over power my PM if I am unable to draw them off her quickly enough.

But really...I rarely solo. Why solo when you can find a least one friend online to party with. I prefer to at least duo a mission. But even then probably bring the PM just to level the B Stat...again depending on the enemies will be facing or if we even care about the S rank.

beatrixkiddo
Aug 17, 2007, 12:04 AM
I love my GH432. Sturm Attacker is so useful on the very last Pannon in the room. Or those menacing-looking boxes over there.

Tigerram
Aug 17, 2007, 12:43 AM
I do indeed solo a lot, but not all the time. I mostly solo A missions at my level for now, but I tend to want to go to the hot spots with parties, joining random or making my own as well also, to help level my character faster ( not to mention a good chance of helping out with rare finds. ) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I have a GH412 ( my futuristic 414 ) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif, and she's pretty aggressive. I tend to use Tonnio more than the other NPC's. Thus, my little favorite team.

Fuji
Aug 17, 2007, 06:05 AM
If I'm soloing I'll usually at least bring along my PM, yeah it's a bit of a burden at times but...I didn't level my PM all that time so it could sit in my shop and look as pretty as a level 1 PM does...that and I kinda suck with making weapons and stuff so I have to find some use for it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

EL-0104
Aug 17, 2007, 06:59 AM
At the moment, I am constantly using my PM along with a NPC with me. They serve me as a shield when I fight Tengohgs in Sacred Grounds. At lvl 55, you need all the armor you can get! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

-dis-
Aug 17, 2007, 08:07 AM
On 2007-08-16 17:54, Sekani wrote:

[ This Message was edited by: -dis- on 2007-08-16 06:53 ]

Whoah. Time-slip.

Medic
Aug 17, 2007, 08:31 AM
Well i have no difference personally but my friends told me about an S2 run on Nudaiz where not a single rare dropped. Not even a kersline!!! Because they had PM and NPC's. For me Tonnio and Leogini help out alot when i solo.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 17, 2007, 09:17 AM
Where exactly do you get Tonnio's partner card...?

Akaimizu
Aug 17, 2007, 10:19 AM
The Meatshield actually worked for me for quite some time. I've posted examples of this for quite a few months. Jasmine, my PM, has saved my butt quite a few times because she can take damage a lot more than I could. I also have long used a strategy to keep her in the fray, so she can do her work.

Of course, the biggest advantage to NPCs is actually the PP you save. They help kill the monsters off faster and save my bullets. Without them, I run out and have to recharge my bullets much more often.

With S2 missions, the NPCs become more of a burden than a help, but if you started a game and went right for stuff like ForteTecher, Guntecher, Protranser, you'll be in those expert classes well before you reach the status to do S levels. Certain NPCs (and definitely your PM) really help a heck of a lot there. Even for B and A ranks. I couldn't do S ranks solo without them, unless I really spent heavy resources to do it, and be prepared to die a lot. Back then, I really didn't have the money to deal with that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-08-17 08:25 ]</font>

Sexy_Raine
Aug 17, 2007, 11:08 AM
I hate NPC's. I actually prefer real soloing. Sometimes if I just feel like it, I may bring my PM out for the misson. Other than the PM, I won't use anything else. NPC comments are very annoying.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sexy_Raine on 2007-08-17 09:13 ]</font>

BahnKnakyu
Aug 17, 2007, 12:46 PM
The NPCs split the enemies' attention away from you. When you're soloing, they have one guaranteed target - you. You can take advantage of this to make it easier for you in certain ways (use a gate or something as a "shield" and hitting them through it, or spamming dambarta) but in wide open areas where there's nowhere to run or hide, NPCs will take the heat off you so you'll have fewer things pummeling you while you try to pummel them back. If you play a tech-based class, they'll die a lot less often, which makes them even more worth having. Plus, they're free damage, not much more damage, but free damage is free damage.

BahnKnakyu
Aug 17, 2007, 12:47 PM
The NPCs split the enemies' attention away from you. When you're soloing, they have one guaranteed target - you. You can take advantage of this to make it easier for you in certain ways (use a gate or something as a "shield" and hitting them through it, or spamming dambarta) but in wide open areas where there's nowhere to run or hide, NPCs will take the heat off you so you'll have fewer things pummeling you while you try to pummel them back. If you play a tech-based class, they'll die a lot less often, which makes them even more worth having. Plus, they're free damage, not much more damage, but free damage is free damage.

Neoptolemus
Aug 17, 2007, 03:06 PM
I hardly ever used my NPC before the "deaths don't matter" update. I would only use my PM if passing through a mission on C to get to another mission. Being a fortegunner, it was hard to keep the NPCs alive (unless I use a Star, which seems a waste). Now that their deaths don't matter, I hardly ever solo without one or two -- especially on S2 -- to act as a decoy as I take my shots.

I haven't noticed any difference in the rate of drops, so I wouldn't say they are bad luck. It all appears to be the same. And with the rate that my PM uses her Resta stick, I actually come out ahead because of not having to buy a trimate or two. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Those are my two cents!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neoptolemus on 2007-08-17 13:07 ]</font>

FUFME
Aug 17, 2007, 03:33 PM
I use them a lot to get to further lobbies to join a party

URL PC/PS2 Desert Golliath S2 Runs - - Saturday 8/18 (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=151696&forum=8&0)

Ninerlife
Aug 17, 2007, 09:30 PM
I often play with my PM and Laia...I am still trying to gain experience and when I want to run without an actual party,I take em with me...have had good luck so far...

EJ
Aug 17, 2007, 10:33 PM
i use tonnio and my pm for solo since they bring extra damage and makes the run faster and Maya got so much better ;3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EJ on 2007-08-17 20:33 ]</font>

Jakosifer
Aug 18, 2007, 01:59 AM
They just get in the way.."meatshield" only goes so far (2-3 hits actually)..So theyre pointless. Not too hard to sidestep and dodge really.