PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who have played both PSO and PSU, what do y

Fredrick
Aug 16, 2007, 01:31 PM
I want you to list off as many things you can think of that are better about each game. In a perfect world, SEGA would have kept what was good about PSO, and improved it with their PSU ideas. So basically list off all the positive things that combined would make the perfect Phantasy Star.

PSO Advantage.

Far greater selection of items and weapons.
A more balanced drop rate
(Weak rares somewhat common, Strong rares uncommon, Amazing rares extremely uncommon).
More customized character stats.
-Mags boosted character stats, and those stats could be customized.
-Armour AND sheild items used for defense.
-Armour had 4 slots open for whatever unit(s) you want.
-HP / TP / Power / Evp / Mind / Luck / Def materials would permanently increase your character stats.
Overall quicker pase with quicker attacks and much quicker technique casts.
More usuable regular attacks (non PA).
6 buttons programmable for attacks / techs / items.
Techniques usable through menus
More detailed / sculpted levels, with most having excellent art direction.
Much more emotional music, that matched the mood of the level very well.
Each technique operated in it's own unique way. (i.e barta and zond were very different)
All areas were quick / easy to get to.
TP (or PP) was stored on your character, not individual weapons.
A Much better, more consistent framerate.
Armour req based on lv. not def
Weapons had unique special attacks / abilities
-Some steal health, exp, tp, ext.
-Some shoot technics like foie and gifoie
-Some boost technique power
-Some have unique attacks. i.e Heaven Punisher's beams that shoot down from the sky, or TJS's expanding sphere of death.

PSU Advantage.

Better graphics (on a technical level, not conceptual).
Tech levels based on exp and not the lv of the disk used.
Greater selection of areas.
Greater selection of weapon types.
More techniques (or TECHNICS).
More class and race types.
More customizable characters (on a visual level).
-More hairstyles
-More clothes
-More character creation options
Item presets are on their own separate scroll bar.
Partner Machinery.
Shops / Rooms.
Photon Arts for striking and ranged weapons.
Character controls are more accurate and responsive.
Overall more presets available for technics.9

After looking at everything it seems like PSU is all about more more more. But very little is actually better.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fredrick on 2007-08-18 10:15 ]</font>

DLShAdOw
Aug 16, 2007, 01:35 PM
PSO: rares actually are the item, no such thing as synthing

PSU: Graphics, online, Photon arts.

Dhylec
Aug 16, 2007, 01:38 PM
I'll keep it simple: Each game has its own charms & , I enjoy both.

stukasa
Aug 16, 2007, 02:26 PM
On 2007-08-16 11:35, DLShAdOw wrote:
PSO: rares actually are the item, no such thing as synthing

PSU: Graphics, online, Photon arts.

What he said.

Besides that, PSU lets us have our own rooms, there are tons of poses and cut-in chat animations, a better camera and faster pace. PSO had better rares and you could actually find most of them if you tried, plus some of the levels were just so cool! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sinue_v2
Aug 16, 2007, 02:29 PM
PSO: Better art style. Darker and more oppressive atmosphere (tho PSU is catching up). Catchier (tho not necessarily better) music. Better looking and more variety of weapons, which come in boxes rather than in pieces. Better online story-missions. Could cast Techs regardless of weapon equipped.

PSU: Offline Story Mode, Vehicles, much faster and more involved combat, better graphics, far better customization, more structure, My Room & Player Shops, less cheating.

HFlowen
Aug 16, 2007, 02:42 PM
Pso's had great music, that's what i really miss in PSU.

PSO's music actually changed based on the situation, like when a hoarde of boombas were coming the music would get louder and more pumped. When they were dead the music would get quieter and fade into the background ambiance.

Not in PSU. It's always pumped, and it's not nearly as memorable.

Crazy_Hunter
Aug 16, 2007, 02:47 PM
I could actually find what I wanted in PSO :/

Jaspaller
Aug 16, 2007, 02:59 PM
Hmm, no flamefest yet? lol

PSO
- Character design (Much more unique than PSU)
- The ideas of mags and materials (allowing your character to be more diverse than it already is for different possibilities and play styles).
- The hard, light, and special attack system of attacking (PSU is more of a spamfest of PA's)
- Rare weapons actually dropping even if they are crappy ones
- Simplicity of the game
- Levels that were long but also felt unique
- Music was great until you heard it for so long that it's annoying.
- Weaker enemies allowing for faster runs and MORE rare drops. Also felt like less of a grind...
- Quests

PSU
- Graphics
- Photon Arts
- There's an actual economy here where meseta is actually worth something.
- 6 man party
- So much customization (yet you can still end up looking like another person in the end which is a downside)
- Race and class
- Updates
- The speed of the gameplay and the controls.
- Emphasis on being in a party (well this one has its ups and downs IMO).

Both great games, however as topic creator said... they put in a lot more for PSU yet the quality doesn't actually seem to be there.

littleman2347
Aug 16, 2007, 03:07 PM
PSO was alot easyer to play for a long time that PSU.
PSU more things to do better char customizing. Jaspaller how is the design more unique that PSU is your head on strait. You got you flaming now sort-of.

Jaspaller
Aug 16, 2007, 03:17 PM
Well, what I meant was that the character design was wierd and it worked! They went with a futuristic design that basically defined what type of character you were. It's that sort of... pizzazz I guess you could say that I feel is missing from PSU. Anyways this is all opinion and I liked the character design and costumes in there (except for maybe the HUmar with that large shoulder piece). I still like the PSU design... it gives it a more real life look.

RedX
Aug 16, 2007, 03:24 PM
On 2007-08-16 11:31, Fredrick wrote:
More customized character stats.

Thats one of the things that they really need to fix in PSU.

Overall quicker pase with quicker attacks and much quicker technique casts.

lol, PSU is 100x faster paced. Sure techs cast fast in PSO, but that doesn't mean everything is slower. Enemies are faster, attack anmations are faster, you move faster, etc.

Much more emotional music, that matched the mood of the level very well.

PSU has a more happy upbeat mood to its levels, which match the music nicely. Now the musics not that great and they fail at dark but most of the music works well.

Each technique operated in it's own unique way. (i.e barta and zond were very different)

Most spells in PSU act differently to. For example, Diga arches while foie just goes strait. Though some are similar as they had so many to do.

TP (or PP) was stored on your character, not individual weapons.

That is much needed to balance out rangers. In PSU if rangers had no PP like in PSO they'd dominate everything, same with hunters.

A Much better, more consistent framerate.

Get on PC

Better graphics (on a technical level, not conceptual).

Very true

More customizable characters (on a visual level).

And on a weapon selection level. Not being tied to one class makes character very customizable, with allowing for custom stats it would be near perfect customization.

Partner Machinery.

PM's are ok not the greatest but alright.

Well, thats my 2 cents anyway. Anything i didn't comment on i mostly agreed with.

Fredrick
Aug 16, 2007, 03:57 PM
Get on PC... lmao no thanks, I'd rather be able to use my surround sound, HD TV, and comfortable 360 controller while sitting on my bed. Also I'd rather have the larger community.

The framerate is a huge problem. It takes the action out of the game, and is just frustrating. It makes it especially bad for techers since they already are slow as garbage. The fact that the game struggles on the 360 is almost laughable. It really says something about ST's programming skills.

All that aside I would be much more forgiving if at least one aspect of PSU's gameplay was outstanding. If it had either an amazing array of unique weapons, or highly customizable character stats, or even just good level design, it would make the game far more fun to play. The CCA areas in PSO were so lush and so detailed it completely renewed the PSO experience for me.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/screenshots/Ep2Level-11-21-2002/screens/beach2.jpg
http://www.pso-world.com/images/screenshots/Ep2Level-11-21-2002/screens/jungle2.jpg
http://www.pso-world.com/images/screenshots/seabed/snap.jpg
http://www.pso-world.com/images/screenshots/seabed/snap2.jpg
http://www.pso-world.com/images/screenshots/trial/various/44.jpg
http://www.pso-world.com/images/screenshots/trial/various/75.jpg
http://www.pso-world.com/images/screenshots/trial/various/86.jpg

I seriously hope these new areas are going to be good. PSU already has too many junk levels. All they are doing is spreading people apart.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 16, 2007, 04:03 PM
PSO - Greater variety of weapons so that not everyone has the same exact weapons... (at least legit players...)

PSU - More detailed and complex fighting

RedX
Aug 16, 2007, 04:33 PM
On 2007-08-16 13:57, Fredrick wrote:
Get on PC... lmao no thanks, I'd rather be able to use my surround sound, HD TV, and comfortable 360 controller while sitting on my bed.

Then don't complain. There is a fix right there but you said no to it, so you forfeit all complain right. Especially answering with those reasons, if you didn't have a PC that was good enough to play it, then you could but because you don't feel like it, is laziness and thus forfeiting all complain rights.

Oh and i could do all those things with my PC, but with good frame rate http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Zorafim
Aug 16, 2007, 04:43 PM
PSO:

Better art (Areas had more design to them, despite the lower graphics. Music was more ambient, and less intrusive. etc.)
More intimidating story and story telling, respectable characters. One of my favorite PSU characters is a receptionist. That can't be right.
More interesting character designs, everyone looked their part.
More thought and skill used in combat (the ability to dodge as a hunter, for one). Lack of grading of missions meant levels were free to be created as mazes, and you focused more on getting to the end rather than killing everything.
Every character you choose has its use. Two characters with the same amount of effort put into them were on par with each other. No inferior class/job combinations.
The ability to use techs without being completely inferior. The ability to use techs with weapons.
No synthing with abnormally low success rates.
Mags, made for a nice touch of character customization.
Avoidable attacks. Hardly any overpowered attacks enemies spam. Difficult enemies were meant to be difficult.
DB's saber. Rares that were worth hunting for things other than looks.
Newmen.

PSU:

Completely customizable character designs. I can make my character look exactly how I want her, within limitations.
PA system. I can use different attacks with the same weapon to do different things. Each PA you use is leveled with use.
PP. Because of this limitation, I can start with one weapon and switch it out later on. This allows me to use all the weapons in my palette, as opposed to only using some in certain situations.
Customizable rooms. Gives a sense of home.
Different manufacturers. Despite this being limited to low levels, you can choose which designs or stats you want.
Better animations.

Basically, PSO had better art, PSU has better character design.

Fredrick
Aug 16, 2007, 04:44 PM
On 2007-08-16 14:33, RedX wrote:

On 2007-08-16 13:57, Fredrick wrote:
Get on PC... lmao no thanks, I'd rather be able to use my surround sound, HD TV, and comfortable 360 controller while sitting on my bed.

Then don't complain. There is a fix right there but you said no to it, so you forfeit all complain right. Especially answering with those reasons, if you didn't have a PC that was good enough to play it, then you could but because you don't feel like it, is laziness and thus forfeiting all complain rights.

Oh and i could do all those things with my PC, but with good frame rate http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

That's not a fix. Thats making a sacrifice to change something else.

Thats like saying if you want better fuel economy go drive a prius. Never mind the fact that it's unrefined, has horrible acceleration, is ugly as hell, and costs way too much.

Plus I can't do all those things with my PC. I don't have a 42in screen, or a 1000 watt sound system, or an XBL service connected to my computer. And I don't want to. My notebook needs to be portable for work.

RedX
Aug 16, 2007, 05:30 PM
Yeah i have a 17" CRT. It's called a converter. And that was a ass awful example, "Oh no it looks bad i can't drive it, I'll be dead by the time I'm 65 but at least I'll look good while I'm driving". Thats basically what your saying.

And that is a fix, you don't want to use it. Te problem is gone , thus fixed.

Fredrick
Aug 16, 2007, 05:52 PM
Looks was only one part of the example. And that's not the point. My point is to get a better framerate, I would have to downgrade a lot of other things. Things I don't want downgraded.

Zorafim
Aug 16, 2007, 05:53 PM
In this topic, people argue.
What else is new?

RedX
Aug 16, 2007, 06:15 PM
On 2007-08-16 15:52, Fredrick wrote:
Looks was only one part of the example. And that's not the point. My point is to get a better framerate, I would have to downgrade a lot of other things. Things I don't want downgraded.

Ok so you don't want to. I get that, all I'm saying is don't complain about it then.

BanF
Aug 16, 2007, 06:28 PM
PSO:

- Offline multiplayer.

- Armor and weapons drop with more frequency, making it easier to make money. I was astonished at the steep economic curve in PSU.

- Nice rewards for following the story mode online, like especial weapons and armor ( I <3 my Rabol Ring).

- The way the story missions are linked and you can actually get different reactions (and chances at more rare items) depending on how you talk to the NPCs in them.

- You don't have to level up techniques, just buy the higher level one at the appropriate time.

- Mags.

PSU

- In general, gameplay is an improvement.

- Huge world with expansive lobbies and missions, far more of each than in PSO. One got tired quickly of just the city district and the lab area in PSO.

- Rares are actually rare. My PSO chara have veritable warehouses of vjayas, varistas and clubs of laconium, to name but three items. In PSU, I've yet to see such a thing.

- No "sections" (Bluefull, Skylie, etc.) and synthing means everyone actually has the same chance to get all items, instead of having no chance whatsoever at some, like in PSO.

- Increased storage space and the customizable room, makes it easy to show off your accomplishments.

- The graphic design actually stayed consistent with PSO's, giving it a huge sense of continuity, beyond the alphabet, races and classes.

- No hacking!

- Much much easier to find people.

- The action palette's seven weapon slots makes it way better than PSO's four.

- Being able to use a keyboard is a lot better than a software keyboard.

- PP being tied to weapons rather than the chara actually allows you to remain "dangerous" for longer.

- No battle mode, so you're safe from annoying kiddies "challenging" you to it so they can show you how "leeter" they are(Read: how many hacked weapons they have).

- The new items, i.e. Antimate, Moon Atormizer X, and the buffs which I always felt were needed in PSO.

- The more diverse techniques, allowing for more specialization depending on your gameplay style. Distance one target, distance mob, up close mob, etc.

I guess you can tell which I like better, though I still play PSO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BanF on 2007-08-16 16:28 ]</font>

Mystil
Aug 16, 2007, 06:29 PM
The power of Jellen and Zalure is far more significant in PSO than they are in PSU.

Sekani
Aug 16, 2007, 06:40 PM
PSO: Better level design/atmosphere, better music (except for episode one), more memorable and varied boss encounters

PSU: Everything else

SubstanceD
Aug 16, 2007, 06:48 PM
It's almost impossible for me to decide. I like both games but for different reasons.

I prefer the graphics in PSU and I also prefer certain aspects of the gameplay ( the combat ).

Unfortunatly I also hate certain things about PSU, things that really make me miss PSO. I hate doing level runs, destroying boxes and monsters and only getting parts ( I want more equipment drops ). I hate weapon synthing, it's not as fun as finding an actual RARE weapon. I miss all the different RARE Items. I miss certain character creation options and costumes. I miss ceratin levels.

Despite all the things I hate about PSU I do feel that the good bits out-weigh the bad. Besides it looks like PSU: AOI will fix alot of PSU's problems.

ZeL_of_Seals
Aug 16, 2007, 07:04 PM
PSO pros:
-better drop rate
-cooler weapons
-More weapons
-classic boss fights
-cool npc characters
-easy money earning
-PvP
-fun character making
-symbols (redia, oran, etc.)
-REAL METAL WEAPONS (I miss my Zanba T.T)
-mags
-infinate ammo

PSO cons:
-not much character designing
-graphics
-short story
-no Photon arts
-only could fire in sets of 3
-no strafe or lock on
-casts cant use spells
-weapons took forever to use
-hackers
-hacked weapons
-freezing (I losted some good stuff because of that)

PSU pros:
-parties of 6
-unique planets
-bigger lobbies
-more lobbies
-more costomization to characters
-your own shop
-your own price
-synthesizing
-elements
-Unique weapons
-abillity to change class
-MORE classes
-PM can fight
-your own room
-decor
-more enemies
-more lvls

PSU cons:
-most of the non S weapons are the same but different colors, boring
-limited ammo
-melee has ammo
-no mags
-few s weapons
-cloths get old REAL fast, more cloths PLZ
-dumb hair (only like 3 or 4 hair styles)
-hard to get money
-RIDCULOUSLY HIGH PRICES IN PLAYER SHOPS
-hard to find any good weapons
-hard to find most synthesis materials
-the amount of times i tried looking for Black heart
-lack of PvP

*to be etided*

Tigernado
Aug 16, 2007, 09:05 PM
PSO:
More detailed, interesting Areas

More rares and more variety in rares, especially because of special abilities on rarer weapons.

More tight-knit community(at first, I'm refering to PSOBB)

PSU:
Photon Arts
My Room
Ability to change classes
better graphics (they better be anyway)

I really don't have much to complain about on PSU features, its just how it uses those features. Vehicles for example are in the game, but their no fun by our selfs.

PSU just needs more content, more and varied content, that's it.

Fuji
Aug 17, 2007, 06:24 AM
PSO:

I liked the rares in PSO quite a bit better. Right now in PSU there are S Ranks but...good luck finding a board and even if you do...good luck making it. Where in PSO...you find it and you don't have to worry about messing up the board and hunting down materials.

Once Episode 2 came out I miiiight...have to give a slight edge in style to PSO, Episode 2 had some really great stylistic graphics. I miss the Beach Event from Episode 2 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I liked how PSO went with Techs and buying them but, I think, I also liked how you couldn't buy the max level, you'd actually have to find those so they didn't just hand you the highest level techs either.

PvP was at times rather annoying but still a pretty cool part of PSO, when you can't settle your differences through diplomacy or just feel like slugging it out...nothing beat PvP

And as many have already said...Mags

But in the end Hackers kind of ruined all of the pros except the style I liked from Episode 2.

PSU:

Photon Arts are a nice change instead of the continuous slashing PSO players were used to, adds more combo possibilities and lets the combat become more than just the same three slashing motions.

I love being able to customize my character as much as possible. PSO...there was some customization but very little, in PSU you can morph the face just the way you want it and there are just more things to customize overall and I dig that. But yeah...MOAR MALE CLOTHING VARIETY! ><

I like the addition of the Room, it just a private place where you can meet with your friends where you don't have to worry about random people either eavesdropping or hearing a conversation meant for only select ears. The shop is a good touch but as previously stated the prices are, more often than not, just outrageous.

I also like the class diversity and how many different classes with a different variety of useable weaponry there are, it really caters to your own personal style.

amtalx
Aug 17, 2007, 06:33 AM
PSO:
Rare weapon variety.
Challenge, even Lvl 200s got their asses handed to them every now and then.
Nicer people.
hAx!!! j/k

PSU:
More players than PSOX.
Lots of different areas.
More complex stat system.
Lots of nifty classes to choose from.
PSU Texter.

phanatica
Aug 17, 2007, 06:51 AM
the design in pso was better, like the enemies. for ex.: ollaka=koltova=distova, badira=naval=ageeta. i remember some great enemys in pso, like delsaber, delbiter, chaos bringer, hildebear, also the look different again on ultimate and the levels had other colours. and the weapon design was pretty good, only the red series look the same, but remember all the force weaps, the swords with its transparency and engravings, and the shields were visible. the online missions was more be usefulable, as you hunt a certain drop from a specific monster, and you can get items from them like soul banish, akiko's wok, ragol ring, mag cell's...
level design was great, i say the beach level for example. but there are also good things in psu, but i liked pso more. when i hunt in psu a rare weap, drop rate is harder than psu caus they havent much weaps like pso. so find the board, get the materials (like diad, morbinia...http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif), synth it, hope it comes out, hope on strike weaps or shields you get good percent on the element, ....

Kamica
Aug 17, 2007, 06:55 AM
PSO
-CHALLENGE MODE
-battle mode
-rare stuff that is actually fun to hunt
-an ultimate challenge of level 200

PSU
-faster
-forces are more fun to use
-the joy of seeing a huge chunk of meseta in your depository after items have been sold at player shop.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kamica on 2007-08-17 04:55 ]</font>

Ebram
Aug 17, 2007, 07:44 AM
One important thing to mention about PSU's combat system is the ability for us to straif now. That really makes for better gameplay. I also really dig the action pallete. There is so much customization in choosing what weapons to use, what elements they are, what PA's, etc. Even where you assign them to the pallete is a consideration. Leveling PA's and Techs and Bullets by actualy using them is a plus too. I appreciate the variety of levels, and the amout of them, but there is something about PSU's level design that seems sub-par compared to PSO. PSO had some trully outstanding levels. I'm thinking of places like the Mines, or most of Ep 2 for that matter.

They're both great games, and PSU's not perfect, but I'd say that I prefer it to PSO just barely. Less cheating is probably the biggest reason. Meseta has value now!

Medic
Aug 17, 2007, 08:47 AM
Well I think Fredrick covered my opinions. Although I do think that PSU has cooler looking weapons than PSO.

Sexy_Raine
Aug 17, 2007, 02:17 PM
The 10*-12* weps in PSO were so much better than anything PSU could ever offer. The spread needle was teh hawtness. Plus, they were a lot easier to get than PSU.
There needs to be more enemy-parts weapons too. There's so much that's not even being used. You can change your stats in PSO with your mutiple mags, so there were no worries about worthless race combos(this is the reason I'm a Ft). The giving everyone-the-same thing system fails in PSU, there needs to be more exclusive items. The 7 class split is also gay, no one ever asked for it, nor is it needed. Armor > element defense, that's how it should've been! Less leveling stuff, PSU is too much based of lv'ing things.

Getting rid of section ID's was a good idea. Traps are made much better.PSU. The status effect are awesome. Better clothes customization, can also change your looks.

Btw, I haven't touch PSO since 2003 because for personal reasons, I had to stop early.(I'm sure Jife knows why)

ShadowDragon28
Aug 17, 2007, 11:38 PM
wow this is like the 10 th time the subject of this thread has come up. No offense, certain topic are starting to get repeated ad infinitum.

It's like asking which is better Brisk ice tea Lemon flavor or Brisk Raspberry flavor.
When both taste pretty good, and what you "like better" is very subjective and very arbitrary IMO.

Zorafim
Aug 18, 2007, 01:40 AM
On 2007-08-17 21:38, ShadowDragon28 wrote:
It's like asking which is better Brisk ice tea Lemon flavor or Brisk Raspberry flavor.
When both taste pretty good, and what you "like better" is very subjective and very arbitrary IMO.

It's not at all like asking which flavor is better. It's asking what you prefer about each flavor. Read a bit more carefully before flaming.

Jakosifer
Aug 18, 2007, 01:52 AM
PSO - ...The music and unique looking weapons
PSU - Everything else

Sinue_v2
Aug 18, 2007, 01:53 AM
Because you know, all conversations here must be completely original, to the point, and provide an end result.

Jet1337
Aug 18, 2007, 07:08 AM
I liked everything about PSO. The only things I like about PSU are the slightly improved combat system with strafing and the first-person mode for the projectile weapons. Everything else sucks, ESPECIALLY THE SYNTHESIS SYSTEM. But you know Sega; "If it ain't broke, fix it anyway".

ShadowDragon28
Aug 18, 2007, 08:35 AM
So expressing how one thinks there's futility in a redundent topic is some how "flaming"
That makes no sense.

Sha Sha
Aug 18, 2007, 11:30 AM
PSO-
CHALLENGE MODE!!! thats bring back so many awesome memories
SCYTHES
MOnster Part Weps (<3 G-Assassin blades)
Mags (i miss my Ila)
When in quests you sorta had an opinion/ hand in the story (like in the Sue/Kireek quests)

PSU All have been said already

Serephim
Aug 19, 2007, 08:36 AM
PSO:
-Music (omfg i miss the music. All episode 1 music basically sucked ass, save for the final part of the final boss, but Episode 2 was on point.)

-Weapon variety (i know its stupid since AoI is bringing the weapon package, but still.)

-Challenge mode (Oh my jesus i miss challenge mode so bad. PSU challenge mode will be so sex when we get it, since it has tenfold the potental of PSO.)

-Stage and graphical design (Episode 2 blew me away, but Subterrainian stages in Ep4 just made me crap myself. The room where your fighting over lava was SOOOOO freaking cool, and the music is the best track in the entire soundtrack of the game.)

The reason i believe PSU lacks the makeup on the stages that PSO had is because of its camera. PSU has BEAUTIFUL stages (Neudaiz outdoor stages are just awesome. Have you ever just looked at the trees before?), but is lacking in a few aspects that PSO had.

But then you have to take in account that PSO had much smaller stages, and many more repeating rooms than PSU does. Forest stage in PSO has the place where you can walk through the stream of water and stuff, but Forest is actully a small stage.

-Magic. Although PSU's magic takes a while to get used to, after you do the magic obviously looks alot better than PSO's. The only thing i miss is how much the magic Evolved in PSO. In PSU, the magic only goes through 3 stages of graphical improvement, but in PSO it went through like 7. In PSO the magic increased in Size AND speed, but in PSU they only increase in Size.

PSU :
-Combat kicks PSO's ass. The only thing i hate about PSU is how fucking long it takes to kill something if you arent playing in a party. The game gets kind of boring when i have to unleash almost a full weapon PP bar taking out a room of enemies by myself.

-Environments are more expansive. They arent UGLY, its just alot bigger. They put PLENTY of eye candy in the stage, its just that you usually have to look around to view it. PSO's eye candy was all in your face because you had no choice but to view it. If you actully got a camera to look UP in PSO, you would notice that most rooms had no ceiling.

-Technics look awesome. While i disagree with Dambarta making a huge wall of ice instead of having huge ice pillars shooting out the ground diagonally in the direction you're facing, most of the technics in this game are amazing looking. Razonde, Gifoie, Gibarta, Gidiga(SOO awesome, its like that KH2 Axel move where he sets the ground on fire), Barta, Rafoie (only at later levels), Megid, and a few others just look awesome. And not to mention how they change on AoI.

-Rangers actully dont suck anymore. While the laser cannon is highly dissapointing as a weapon, Rangers have it so much better than they did in PSO. (Too bad you all are still being neglected guns LOL)

-The new lobby system allows for such better player communication than before. It makes PSU so much better of a community game than PSO ever could hope to be. PSO was fun, but never did i really hang out with friends i made on there.

-The emotes are hillarious. Kicking is my favroite. (im just pissed they dont allow them in-game anymore.)

-C h a r a c t e r c u s t o m i z a t i o n. GOD im so glad that i can dress my character awesome and not have to see my clone everytime i walk into somewhere. You can make your character mainstream or you can make them unique, but im so glad that there are more than 5 types of character running around now.

-Room system is neat, and so is synth, but i could be used better IMO.

Thats about it.

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 19, 2007, 12:45 PM
-PSO has a cool sci-fi atmosphere to it that PSU will probably never match.
-PSO also has a better hair color customization thing that makes it easier to customize and allows for better color options. Why PSU's hair color devolved into what it is now is beyond me.
-PSO actually had some rare items drop...I actually made use of a DB's Saber before upgrading to a Durandal. Although from what I hear, it seems that -PSO's rare hunting (such as the J-Sword) is just as tedious and chance-based as in PSU.
-PSO bosses were memorable and had patterns. Unfortunately, the memorable part is how fucking tedious it all gets on higher difficulty levels when they take so damn long to die and nothng is really done to mix things up. De Rol Le was the worst since there were so few opportunities to attack (even when my main weapon was a gun!).
-PSO enemies were more diverse. They had quirks about them. Mothmant, Pan Arms, Garanz, Chaos Sorcerors especially. Slimes sucked though.
-PSO (ver.2) had that quick-menu system that made it easy to use items or change equipment whenever I wanted. PSU's palette, despite its simplicity, feels incredibly clunky and is always too damn slow. And when a quick-change palette is SLOWER THAN WHOLE FUCKING MENUS, you know that something's wrong.
Overall, PSO had STYLE. Although the gameplay was so boring that the style only creates a brief nostalgia period rather than making me actually wanna play the game.

But PSU has better everything else. Especially during the missions. Areas don't feel quite as much like the copy-and-paste levels of PSO (Forest and Jungle are the exception), no more stupid slowly-walk-and-then-run bullshit, enemies are less predictable to an extent, WAY more variety in what you can do during battle (hunters get more melee attacks, rangers get more diverse guns and even bullets, forces get diverse spells), more diverse weapon selection (although the current implimentation is still too limited), actually being able to use whatever gender you want with the race/class combo you want. Most importantly though, they implimented manual control so that I can hit whatever targets I want, and improved the camera so that I can (usually) see whatever I want. It's just too bad that there are remnants of the old targeting system, as can be seen when purifying the wrong SEED Zoma when more than one is in the line of fire, and in the use of fan/card/throwingblade/whateverthefuckitscalled.

As for music, both soundtracks suck for different reasons. PSO's was really boring, especially for atmospheric music. PSU's was too bland and generic. But there's a few good ones strewn about both. (PSO's few good tracks are better than PSU's few good tracks though.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2007-08-19 10:52 ]</font>

Powder Keg
Aug 19, 2007, 01:01 PM
PSU:
- PAs
- More techs
- How PAs level
- 6 person parties
- NPCs can tag along
- PLAYER SHOPS
- Random item distribution (good since network is online only)
- Class change

PSO:
- Faster paced
- NO SYNTHING
- BETTER DROP RATES
- More unique and better bosses
- BETTER QUESTS
- Better system for rare enemies

All I can think of at the moment. IF PSU didn't have synthing and better drop rates, it would be dominant over PSO pretty much.

magenta
Aug 19, 2007, 01:25 PM
pso

* fomarls
* tech usage without having to use weapons
* keyboard palette in addition to pad palette
* no synthing. rare weps/armour found as they are.
* better drop rates
* wep stats adjustedable by use of photon drops as well as grinding
* better music
* better pace
* better level designs

Psu

* better graphics
* better character customisation, in terms of clothing and appearance anyway.
* less cheating/scripting/hacking
* meseta is worth something
* trade menus and own shop are good..own room - not really advantagous - but having common storage space for all your chars is good.

still like pso better.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: magenta on 2007-08-19 11:28 ]</font>

ThEoRy
Aug 19, 2007, 04:52 PM
I think toe-mah-toes have a more robust and meaty flavor.
Where as toe-may-toes have a sweeter yet more acidic nature about them.

Tekershee
Aug 19, 2007, 05:51 PM
PSO: Fun
PSU: Not Fun

Zorafim
Aug 19, 2007, 05:52 PM
I want a tomato now. Thank you for that.

DaRkWoLf30
Aug 19, 2007, 05:59 PM
PSO: Rares for the most part

PSU: Graphis and drop system.

VanHalen
Aug 19, 2007, 06:09 PM
What's a PSO? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Zorafim
Aug 19, 2007, 06:12 PM
It's the only reason this game has anyone playing it in the US.

Mewn
Aug 19, 2007, 06:22 PM
PSO had rarz and C-Mode. And no synthesis. I also liked PSO's music, switching between battle and peaceful tracks near-seamlessly.

PSU has a more fluid battle system, and some nice (if flawed) ideas like Player Shops. I find it less fun though, probably because it doesn't feel as rewarding as PSO does, somehow.

Piper_Maru
Aug 19, 2007, 06:25 PM
On 2007-08-19 15:51, Tekershee wrote:
PSO: Fun
PSU: Not Fun

At the risk of starting a flame war:

How can PSO be more fun then PSU? PSU was an overall improvement on everything involving the combat. More people on a team, the areas are more wide open and interesting to look at, rangers are actually fun and interesting to play, you dont have to rely on luck to be a good force, and hunters are more fun then they were in PSO.

Sekani
Aug 19, 2007, 06:46 PM
Apparently for some people finding a red box on the ground that says "?SPECIAL WEAPON" is more fun than anything PSU has to offer.

I don't get it. Maybe because I'm not a diehard rare hunter like every PSO fan seems to be. After getting used to PSU's combat system I can't go back to the clunky mechanics of PSO regardless of how many rare weapons there are to be scooped up off the dirt.

Zorafim
Aug 19, 2007, 08:07 PM
At the risk of continuing a flame war:

More people on a team means more hp for enemies, and more undodgable cheap moves. Many of the areas look the same, leading to no variation in scenery. Ranger is more fun, but now completely relies on status effects. Force can actually nuke now, so I'll have to agree on that. Hunter's unnecessarily long PAs make for slower overall gameplay, as opposed to the hit and runs of PSO's hunters.

Then again, this is someone who found FFIV to be more fun than FFVII.

Longtail
Aug 19, 2007, 11:12 PM
PSO: Wacking things with rods and canes and also barehanded (yeah, it wasn't very practical but I don't care)
Twin Mechs
Mags (I like how the final forms look compared to Partner machines)
Weapon specials (like life eating damage, money eating damage and such)

PSU
PAs
And all the combat related stuff minus the taking away of different levels of attack.
My Room

DAMASCUS
Aug 20, 2007, 12:28 AM
PSO:

Sinows( all varieties ) - Don't they make your adrenaline jump?
Monkey King Bar - Coolest semi-rare imo; even more so with haxed Black King Bar everywhere
Offline soloing - Why rare hunt when you are being mail bombed? lol
Dual Mechguns - My favorite weapon by far when used with Zonde spells,"Lighning Kick!!"
Magic Casting Hunters - Sweet combination; overpowered? hehehe
Classic Agito's - Shiing Shiing Shiing hell yeah!!
Photon Blasts - Awesome effects even when only two of them were useful.
Photon Blast Combos - I found out about these late and damn was I excited!
Photon Blast Ringer - When you actually heard someone fill their bar!!
MAGs and Shield - Real Accessories
Seabed - This is the real deal. Music was wierd but the level had cool effects and was super hard.
C-Mode - How could I forget that?!!

PSU:

Dual Wielding - That in combonation with PA's makes for awesome techniques!!
PA's - With the only exception being ones that are dumb even when leveled and then filling up on PA's and having to delete them...oh, wait a min...
SUV's - Not photon blasts but man I love that Gatling Gun!
Parum Relics Music - C'mon thats some classy shyt.
Makeovers - Celebrate my tens with a new look or dress up for Firebreak, nice!
Synthing - I know the randomness pisses most people off but it means being more resourceful which I like.
Cut-ins - I missed symbol chats...until I learned how to shortcut these, much better.
Lobbies - Remember when there was only one or palette swapped variations?
These lobbies are all unique and sweet with a shop man and all!
Story modes - An online story mode that continues the offline mode and stars your own character.
Goober central but there are some funny moments.
First Person Targeting - Sniping the dragon while he flies around and you can see everyones photons flying, good stuff.
Goggles - jk
Firebreak - Can you say breath of fresh hot air? We need an Ice Break...maybe next year.
Mid-Air Juggling - It doesn't happen often but when you nail and enemy that is already airborne and they fly higher or get sent waaaaaay back.
Owning a shop - I didn't realize this was a must at first but I am so glad that I am in the Biz.
The hives - They're like the ruins but even creepier and with that kind of set up they can make as many as they want!
Dulk Fakis - Are you kiddin me? What a tease!! I can't wait for the real thing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DAMASCUS on 2007-08-20 09:01 ]</font>

SolomonGrundy
Aug 20, 2007, 01:33 AM
PSO:
customization within you class via mats/mags.
More rares, and rare units
unique enemy movement/attack patterns
soloing
word select
C mode
Armor that works
Bosses

PSU:
no hacks
no BSOD/FSOD
meseta matters
more class flexibility
magical defense (MST)
larger variety of weapons/techs

A Push:
sec IDs vs luck
Photon Arts vs tech disks.
Synthing
Grinding
Drop rates

Darkly
Aug 20, 2007, 08:04 AM
many people have already said a lot of my thoughts, but i would like to say that psu is more goal orientated than pso, what i mean is that aside from levelling up, i've got my class to level up aswell as my pa's which means that i get a better feeling of accomplishment from psu - especially for low to mid levels, normal to v. hard mode on pso was just kind of boring for me

Piper_Maru
Aug 20, 2007, 08:46 AM
On 2007-08-19 18:07, Zorafim wrote:
At the risk of continuing a flame war:

More people on a team means more hp for enemies, and more undodgable cheap moves. Many of the areas look the same, leading to no variation in scenery. Ranger is more fun, but now completely relies on status effects. Force can actually nuke now, so I'll have to agree on that. Hunter's unnecessarily long PAs make for slower overall gameplay, as opposed to the hit and runs of PSO's hunters.

Then again, this is someone who found FFIV to be more fun than FFVII.

Well, at least it made the game more interesting. But Hunter's are still overall better then they were in PSO, if for the targeting system alone. I remember when I Hunter'd on PSO I would have to run circles around the enemy to dodge -_- I wish we still had MAGs though, those were awesome. And yes, some of the areas look the same, but at least they arent so bland and dull like in PSO. There were few areas I liked going back to in PSO, because they looked good (i.e. Cave 2, love that waterfall).

Yusaku_Kudou
Aug 20, 2007, 08:52 AM
PSU (on 360 anyway) - no cheating
PSO - just overall a better experience

DreamLocke
Aug 20, 2007, 09:13 AM
PSO- ability to trade mags between characters (Imagine in PSU if we could swap PMs' in the common box...or raise PM's and sell them!)

PSU- character customization.

Shinou
Aug 20, 2007, 09:51 AM
The only thing that made PSO faster pace than PSU was God/Battle++ other than that. PSO is not fast paced, I dont know why people keep saying that.

Powder Keg
Aug 20, 2007, 11:19 AM
On 2007-08-20 07:51, Shinou wrote:
The only thing that made PSO faster pace than PSU was God/Battle++ other than that. PSO is not fast paced, I dont know why people keep saying that.

Maybe because you can kill more enemies and get through areas 10000x quicker than in PSU?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Artea on 2007-08-20 09:19 ]</font>

Jaspaller
Aug 20, 2007, 11:38 AM
On 2007-08-20 09:19, Artea wrote:

Maybe because you can kill more enemies and get through areas 10000x quicker than in PSU?

Indeed. Enemies were pretty weak though in PSO... However that meant faster runs and more drops. Even though enemies were weak in PSO there was still a HELL of a lot of challenge to some of it (PW4 anyone?)

ZodiacNKnight
Aug 20, 2007, 11:54 AM
I know they're different games but PSU can't compare to PSO, music wise.
When I was waiting for PSU I had high expectations. Perhaps too high... It wasn't exactly what I had expected and most people probably felt the same.

PSU is a whole new style. Rares items aren't the importance in this game unlike PSO.
Some people fail to realize that. Though I feel they shouldn't have killed that gamestyle because that was practically the backbone of PSO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZodiacNKnight on 2007-08-20 09:54 ]</font>

Powder Keg
Aug 20, 2007, 12:31 PM
On 2007-08-20 09:54, ZodiacNKnight wrote:
When I was waiting for PSU I had high expectations. Perhaps too high... It wasn't exactly what I had expected and most people probably felt the same.

PSU is a whole new style. Rares items aren't the importance in this game unlike PSO.
Some people fail to realize that. Though I feel they shouldn't have killed that gamestyle because that was practically the backbone of PSO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZodiacNKnight on 2007-08-20 09:54 ]</font>

What ST doesn't realize though is that the community cares about rare items, and the community is what makes the network world go 'round. If this isn't adressed in AOI, we'll likely see similar populations on both servers, if not worse. I definitely agree with you though, along with leveling to 200, rare hunting was pretty much PSO's backbone, and pretty much all that players did including myself.

Zorafim
Aug 20, 2007, 02:54 PM
Something I forgot to mention was that PSO had different areas in the same mission, which is rare in PSU. There is a slight shift from Forest 1 > Forest 2, every part of the Caves is different, the Mines become run down, and the Ruins become more contaminated as you go down.
The only way to see change like that in PSU is to either spend alot of time going through multiple missions for fun, or grind in a mission that has a different area on one of the blocks (only mission I can think of is Crimson Beast), meaning you're going to be spending alot of time looking at the same background.

Stezan
Aug 20, 2007, 04:44 PM
One little thing that i liked about PSO that is absent from PSU is the blood stains on the ground. It was always fun to see the amount of floor space covered after finishing an Endless Nightmare, Phantasmal World, etc.

Zorafim
Aug 20, 2007, 08:16 PM
Oh, and the death cries, along with the sinking into the ground. When I saw my first monster just randomly plomp onto the floor and explode into blood, I nearly laughed.

Yunfa
Aug 20, 2007, 09:39 PM
I liked TTF, aka Towards the Future, u get to fight the all 4 main bosses in less than 30 minutes, now THATS fun! Oh and the music, for some reason the super Hollywood orchastrated music from PSU didnt impress me as much as the tracks from PSO, or maybe thats just the effect of nostagia...*rubs chin*

Zorafim
Aug 20, 2007, 09:43 PM
Soon, this topic will become "What do you miss about PSO". I cannot estimate when this will happen, but I see it happening within a day.

Realmz
Aug 20, 2007, 10:47 PM
I honestly can't pick anything i liked about PSO that i don't find better in PSU, i can't play PSO anymore, it just seems so, run down. Fighting wise i found PSU to be by far better then PSO, my hunter is now less vulnerable when comboing things thanks to being able to smack things down on my own, my ranger actually has a purpose in being around, and my force does damage with spells that look like what they are!

and on mags, yeah people could change their character stats, but how many didn't just make a all pow mag, or just go for whatever looked cool, screw the stats? I personally found Mags to be a bit of a chore (and i still find raising a PM to be like that too, but at least i get a loli outta it)

Music wise, i never really paid attention, the only music i can remember is the battle music, and since thats what i hear is mostly played in PSU (i have my music off and listen to the radio or my iPod) i wouldn't see much of a problem anyway (granted even if i did play with the music on, i probably wouldn't notice it)

I also like how people say that "all the weapons in PSU look the same they just change color" what the hell were you looking at from 1-9 stars in PSO? (or 1-6 in the GC version i think?) at least the C and B rank weapons now change in their actual texture instead of a glow affect, and theres three versions for pretty much any weapon. and with A ranks theres another graphical change (and in AoI, A ranks from other companies A Rank tenora handguns anyone?)

actually there is one thing that i miss about PSO, and thats my Guld Milla and then almost right after i get it, it gets banned.

good god i'm tired, i'mma go to sleep >.>

Ermac
Aug 20, 2007, 11:11 PM
PSO: nostalgia
PSU: no nostalgia

I seriously think that's the only reason I like PSO anymore. Otherwise, go PSU:AOI!

Shinou
Aug 20, 2007, 11:43 PM
On 2007-08-20 09:19, Artea wrote:

Well yeah characters on PSO were a lot more stronger because of mags and materials so I guess you have a point. Though I believe you're pushing it with the 10000x quicker thing. =p

BlueFire2k5
Aug 21, 2007, 02:24 AM
On 2007-08-20 10:31, Artea wrote:

On 2007-08-20 09:54, ZodiacNKnight wrote:

What ST doesn't realize though is that the community cares about rare items, and the community is what makes the network world go 'round. If this isn't adressed in AOI, we'll likely see similar populations on both servers, if not worse. I definitely agree with you though, along with leveling to 200, rare hunting was pretty much PSO's backbone, and pretty much all that players did including myself.

Seriously. I really, really, really hope this is addressed in AoI. I loved the fact that there were literally tons of rare weapons and items that you could find. Also, a lot of rares actually had character, and would do something special (e.g. spread needle being a rifle-ized shotgun, psycho wand casting random foie, zondie or barta while reducing your TP cost by 50% and taking it from your life, etc.).

Yusaku_Kudou
Aug 21, 2007, 04:13 AM
One thing that just needs to be taken completely out of PSU is the word censoring system. At least make it optional, because we can't type words like: message, pork, AoI (yeah, the abbreviation for the expansion!), hate, and so many other words.

Saphion
Aug 21, 2007, 04:15 AM
The rare system in PSO was perfected. It was what made it one of the most addictive, enjoyable and fun games ever.

And for some reason, Sonic Team thought it would be a good idea to remove it and replace it with the most retarded item synthesis system to ever grace an online game.

Sorry. Don't mind me. *wanders off*

Fredrick
Aug 21, 2007, 06:19 PM
I wonder why Sega decided to completely change the game. That doesn't seem like a very Japanese thing to do. In fact it seems very American.

Toyota, Honda, Sony, Square-Enix, ect have all been extremely successful because they take what's good about their products, and make them even better. No idea why they felt the need change the formula that everyone loved. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. People didn't complain about PSO (aside from technical issues). That really says something.

ZEO_X
Aug 22, 2007, 12:18 AM
Music
PSO > PSU

PJ
Aug 22, 2007, 12:24 AM
I still don't get peoples beef with item synthesis.

Not to mention everyone fucking FAILS at math. Like, Grade 9 level math. "80% means 100% fail lolololol"

Yes, rares dropped everywhere in PSO.

"Fuck, DB Saber"
"Fucking Guilty Light"
"WHAT THE FUCK ANOTHER ONE?!"

Atleast rares in PSU have meaning. >_>

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I miss enjoying PSO. And SRank weapons.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2007-08-21 22:25 ]</font>

D1ABOLIK
Aug 22, 2007, 01:22 AM
On 2007-08-21 22:24, PJ wrote:

Not to mention everyone fucking FAILS at math. Like, Grade 9 level math. "80% means 100% fail lolololol"

"Fuck, DB Saber"
"Fucking Guilty Light"

I dont think they fail at math.I think ST fails at math.If a board has 80% that means theoretically you should succeed 8 out of 10 attempts and this is clearly not the case.You would be lucky if 5 succeeded and 5 failed.

________
Buy Vapor Genie (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)

Powder Keg
Aug 22, 2007, 01:34 AM
On 2007-08-21 22:24, PJ wrote:

"Fuck, DB Saber"
"Fucking Guilty Light"

Good items were actually find-able too. And what's even better, you could find one of those crummy Guilty Lights with an insane %.

Sinue_v2
Aug 22, 2007, 01:49 AM

What meaning? Very few of them really look different, practically none (that are out now) of them have special or useful effects. For the most part they just look and behave like the next step up from A rank weapons. Add to that the ludicrous drop rates and a chance to break it not only in the synthing process, but also when ground. (Although the latter not being much of an issue since by the time we get S-Rank grinders AoI will be on our doorsteps).

Sorry, I just don't see anything really special about them. In my eyes, people are getting all frantic and excited about something that has the allure and significance of a piece of poop on a stick. Actually... that would be an awesome joke weapon...

I think it would be a misnomer to say people are upset at not finding rare weapons. I think people would be satisfied if there was a larger breadth of semi-rare or "uncommon" weapons what looked and behaved uniquely to keep the trail of breadcrumbs fresh while hunting for the truly rare stuff. Everybody complained about finding "another damned Varista" - but the Varista at least looked unique, could be useful on lower lvl characters, and preserved that "red box fever" famous in Ep II & beyond.

Also, I believe that some rares should require both (team)work, levels, and challenge to obtain. Take out the luck factor and provide some kind of mechanism for obtaining "rare" items. Cmode was an example of this. Even Cmode experts still had to put in quite a bit of effort. So why not bring that concept, or that inspiration, back with a very difficult time-limit for the highest tier weapons? Something to really reward the speed runners who have a lot of skill and practice to perfect their runs.

Then again, I suppose I shouldn't bitch about this. Instead, I should probably be bitching more about how my favorite class can only use two goddamned S-ranks... and there is only one S-Rank in one of those two categories that I actually give a damned about. Oh yay, I can get an S-Rank wand in AoI to bump my pallet diversity to THREE Sranks! A boon that's offset by the ability to use the infinitely more handy off-hand casting weapons, which is only A-Rank.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-08-21 23:56 ]</font>

Koji1m1
Aug 22, 2007, 06:10 PM
well i like both PSO and PSU but i will say pso,s offline mode although dull as hell had much better Variaty of missions than both PSU's single and multiplayer and better music like eveyone esle said But PSU Has faster placed Combat but what i like about psu is tht the total amout of combos are not limited to 6 hits instead of 3 if u know how or actalluy do mix normal attcks with pas tht is XD and Psu's charater costomaztion is better although pso had a few better hair styles everyones favorite one i assume was the super saiyan/hitsugaya spikey hair one XD

Illumiatus
Aug 22, 2007, 06:33 PM
I loved PSO and holds a special place in my heart because of the fact it was such an awesome game to play with friends. I played multiplayer so many nights with my friends. After playing PSU, I simply can't play PSO. The combat is WAAAYY too slow, and there simply aren't enough combat options.

I got quite far in PSO, bout 110 fomar with some online experience towards the end.

But the atmosphere and music was a lot better than PSO. The colors were so much vibrant and cartoonish. In PSU, Parum doesn't compare anything to the regular Forest. Also there are more memorable bosses in PSO. Namely, De Rol Le, Dark Falz, Ep.2 last boss (forgot his name.) Also the rares in PSO were awesome, but after like the 7th billion varista, it loses its charm quite a bit.

HaydenX
Aug 22, 2007, 07:15 PM
I bought PSO v. 2 for the DC just to see what it's like. I like the special attacks tied to the individual weapon, but that's about all I like better than what's in PSU. I don't think it would be that difficult to add something like that to PSU either...

I just thought of the greatest idea ever.

Imagine a striking weapon that you synth, and depending upon what element it has, and to what %, it would have different effects.

ex.

Proto-dagger
10* Twin Dagger
10% Dark
Infection lvl. 1

Proto-dagger
10* Twin Dagger
44% Dark
Incapacitate lvl. 2

Proto-Dagger
10* Twin Dagger
10% Fire
Burn lvl. 1

Proto-Dagger
10* Twin Dagger
44% Fire
Jellen lvl. 2

And this is just this idea in a nutshell...tell me what y'all think. It just came to me too.

D1ABOLIK
Aug 23, 2007, 02:21 AM
On 2007-08-22 17:15, HaydenX wrote:
I bought PSO v. 2 for the DC just to see what it's like. I like the special attacks tied to the individual weapon, but that's about all I like better than what's in PSU. I don't think it would be that difficult to add something like that to PSU either...

Imagine a striking weapon that you synth, and depending upon what element it has, and to what %, it would have different effects.

ex.

Proto-dagger
10* Twin Dagger
10% Dark
Infection lvl. 1

Proto-dagger
10* Twin Dagger
44% Dark
Incapacitate lvl. 2

Proto-Dagger
10* Twin Dagger
10% Fire
Burn lvl. 1

Proto-Dagger
10* Twin Dagger
44% Fire
Jellen lvl. 2

And this is just this idea in a nutshell...tell me what y'all think. It just came to me too.

Im with you on this.Thats how it should be.If i have a handgun with frozen shot it has a chance to freeze,soooo....if i have a dagger with 20% ice than it SHOULD by all rights also have a chance to freeze right.Apparently ST disagrees with this logic. =/

________
Acura Tsx (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Acura_TSX)

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Aug 23, 2007, 03:39 AM
On 2007-08-16 11:38, Dhylec wrote:
I'll keep it simple: Each game has its own charms & , I enjoy both.

EXACTLY. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Aug 23, 2007, 03:42 AM
That and the fact that I have friends on the same platform as me...(PSO I had to play over XBL,while my friend played on GCN.... Lucky....He didn't have an eternal xmas.)

HaydenX
Aug 23, 2007, 10:49 AM
On 2007-08-23 00:21, D1ABOLIK wrote:

On 2007-08-22 17:15, HaydenX wrote:

ex.

Proto-dagger
10* Twin Dagger
10% Dark
Infection lvl. 1

Proto-dagger
10* Twin Dagger
44% Dark
Incapacitate lvl. 2

Proto-Dagger
10* Twin Dagger
10% Fire
Burn lvl. 1

Proto-Dagger
10* Twin Dagger
44% Fire
Jellen lvl. 2

Im with you on this.Thats how it should be.If i have a handgun with frozen shot it has a chance to freeze,soooo....if i have a dagger with 20% ice than it SHOULD by all rights also have a chance to freeze right.Apparently ST disagrees with this logic. =/

I guess it could be percieved as overpowered...if that's what the problem is, they could make it so that the effects would only activate upon the activation of any PA with the weapon, or just make it a moderately rare, random occurence.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HaydenX on 2007-08-23 08:50 ]</font>

zandra117
Aug 23, 2007, 12:19 PM
I like pso better than psu because combat is more challenging without being annoying. In PSU I find myself chatting in lobbies most of the time because combat feels like a chore. In PSO I never felt this way, I loved fighting. The strafe button and PAs ruined combat in PSU IMO. The ability to strafe around enemies got rid of strategic thinking about attack position, ex. When fighting a Chaos Bringer, get right up next to it, on the side with it's shield. It'll swing wildly at you, but miss. Also because the players could now strafe the monsters had to be programmed to rush the player which killed the unique monster behavior from pso. PAs prevented different weapons of the same type from having unique abilities thus removing one of the incentives that made people hunt for new equipment rather than buying it from a shop. The items that people hunt for now are hunted for looks, a required item for synthesis, or the hunted item is a super rare that gives a major stat boost. Item synthesis was just a bad idea. Mission areas in PSU are way too linear and small. Character creation is better in PSU except for the hair colors. PSU has better graphics quality but less environmental detail. The only thing keeping me from going back to PSO is the hacking and that I feel more comfortable playing PSO on a console rather than a PC.

HaydenX
Aug 23, 2007, 12:42 PM
On 2007-08-23 10:19, zandra117 wrote:
I like pso better than psu because combat is more challenging without being annoying. In PSU I find myself chatting in lobbies most of the time because combat feels like a chore. In PSO I never felt this way, I loved fighting. The strafe button and PAs ruined combat in PSU IMO. The ability to strafe around enemies got rid of strategic thinking about attack position, ex. When fighting a Chaos Bringer, get right up next to it, on the side with it's shield. It'll swing wildly at you, but miss. Also because the players could now strafe the monsters had to be programmed to rush the player which killed the unique monster behavior from pso. PAs prevented different weapons of the same type from having unique abilities thus removing one of the incentives that made people hunt for new equipment rather than buying it from a shop. The items that people hunt for now are hunted for looks, a required item for synthesis, or the hunted item is a super rare that gives a major stat boost. Item synthesis was just a bad idea. Mission areas in PSU are way too linear and small. Character creation is better in PSU except for the hair colors. PSU has better graphics quality but less environmental detail. The only thing keeping me from going back to PSO is the hacking and that I feel more comfortable playing PSO on a console rather than a PC.

I love synthesis. Being able to find the core components of an item and synth it yourself makes it feel even more like an accomplishment. Synthing + shopping are two of my favorite things in PSU. I own PSO v2 for the DC and I will admit that I like the special abilities on individual weapons (see my previous post on this thread). I cannot STAND the camera in PSO. It's not even the best in PSU, but PSO takes quite some getting used to with the camera. Plus, you can avoid every attack in PSO. After an hour of play, I just plain stopped getting hit by anything (I have 20 hours in now). PSU is more difficult than PSO. I actually have to worry about being bowled over by an Ollaka, or knocked over by a Deljaban, then being megided. Dilnazens are a somewhat challenging enemy to fight, as are Go Vahras. Jusnaguns hit me all of the time with that damn wing charge thing.

PSO had more weapons, more control over combat, and the MAG. PSU has more balanced classes, a greater sense of accomplishment for your items (synthing), and a MUCH better technic system.

xSilv3rx
Aug 23, 2007, 11:36 PM
ok first off im sorry, but for all you ppl that are posting thing about pso, you had better be straight up legit if you even deserve to say anything
PSO: Weps are wayy better, every rare is a diff wep, you can see your shields and armors, you have to find your weps not buy em, offline play for online char, MAGS
PSU: better graphics, acctually having to work up spells, 6ppl in a party, bigger variety of missions, synthing, ability to change class, money is acctually worth something, i would say no hacked ppl, but thats slowly changin, all in all, pso was still better, if they would just make a remake of pso with better graphics i would play that any day over psu

PSU Chars: Silver lvl 65 M Cast Fortefighter 10 Fighgunner 10 Zelda lvl 35 F Newman Fortetecher 10
PSO Chars: Silver lvl 177 Hucast Zelda lvl 140 Fonewearl

Vitamin_D
Aug 24, 2007, 01:10 AM
The drop rate in PSO isn't any better than it is in PSU. I believe when I did play PSO, the rarest things I ever found were a Suppressed Gun and a Double Saber. This was the DC days of course, so it was "lol dupe" which I didn't mind, I LOVED my duped Twin Brand haha. On GC, the rarest thing I got was a Meteor Cudgel, but that was a gift. I'm not the type on either PSU or PSO to spam missions to get an item. I just mainly enjoy playing with friends, and if something drops, cool. If not, meh. Also, people need to stop talking about PSO in the past tense. If it "was" such a great game, play Blue Burst and confirm it. If you're not willing to do that, I don't see what the crying is for. Anyway, that's my bit, peace.

Powder Keg
Aug 24, 2007, 01:57 AM
On 2007-08-23 23:10, Vitamin_D wrote:
The drop rate in PSO isn't any better than it is in PSU. I believe when I did play PSO, the rarest things I ever found were a Suppressed Gun and a Double Saber. This was the DC days of course, so it was "lol dupe" which I didn't mind, I LOVED my duped Twin Brand haha. On GC, the rarest thing I got was a Meteor Cudgel, but that was a gift. I'm not the type on either PSU or PSO to spam missions to get an item. I just mainly enjoy playing with friends, and if something drops, cool. If not, meh. Also, people need to stop talking about PSO in the past tense. If it "was" such a great game, play Blue Burst and confirm it. If you're not willing to do that, I don't see what the crying is for. Anyway, that's my bit, peace.

DC was as bad as it is now in PSU. The only "newer good" things you were going to find in DC Version 2 were a Red Saber, a Red Handgun, and an Imperial Pick.

I wasn't planning on listing everything I found on GC, but I figured I might as well.

Magic Rock "Irisita" (Rainbow Baton)
Holy Ray
Meteor Cudgel
Demolition Comet
Sange
Twin Brand
Stag Cutlery
Magic Rock "moola" (Twinkle Star, Summit Moon)
Spread Needle (found two of them, actually)
All Red equipment, except Daggers
Yasminkov Rifle
Agito 1975
Asuka
Frozen Shooter
Ruby Bullet (Traded for Baranz Launcher)
Aura Field
Electro Frame
Standstill Shield

I know there are some I'm missing, too. Granted, there were some items that have really near-impossible rates, there were plenty of quests in this game that gave you certain types of enemies in large amounts that made it possible. People have found things like the Yasha (1/40,000 chance or some crap like that) and other items....I've seen a Psycho Wand drop right in front of me also, but someone who was button mashing with me beat me to the punch.

People still love this game. They just wish it could be tweaked a little.

D1ABOLIK
Aug 24, 2007, 04:35 AM
On 2007-08-23 10:19, zandra117 wrote:

I agree with everything and would like to put added attention to the fact that synthing sucks and is by far the worst aspect of PSU.

________
Nr (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_NR)

Mewn
Aug 24, 2007, 06:21 AM
DC was as bad as it is now in PSU. The only "newer good" things you were going to find in DC Version 2 were a Red Saber, a Red Handgun, and an Imperial Pick.
And this is the problem. After more than five years of tweaking droprates, adding new rares and the rest of it, you'd think that ST would us something similar to PSOGC/BB in terms of drops, rather than v1/2.

Seems ST learned very little from PSO.

MookMetal
Aug 24, 2007, 10:37 AM
psu seems to have less hackers which is alot better than on pso. But levels were better on pso except for caves http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Koji1m1
Aug 24, 2007, 10:39 AM
hmmmmm i agree with most of tht stuff but even though pso had had better levels and weapons but pso's Combat annoyed the hell out of me mainly because when ur a hunter u had to rely on hit and run tactics when u fight it made soloing a pain but psu fixed tht with the strafe option IMO and also both games were very linear the only difference is that in pso they had differnt vers of the levels (forest 1 and 2 for ex) wut i also liked in psu is tht the lv cap wasent as high as pso's IMO because it made lving a bit less Tedious as it was in pso but with tht said pso had a bit more stuff and better weapons and psu is getting a little better till AOI comes out. but thats just my Opinion

FisboFuxUup
Sep 15, 2007, 11:42 PM
PSO : THe ability to hit multiple targets on a boss, seeing yourself in the boss dying scene, the unique individual techniques, the amazing specials, the music, the enemies, the bosses and EVERYTHING ABOUT IT (I WISH I COULD GO BACK BUT IT WOULDNT BE THE SAME!!)

FisboFuxUup
Sep 15, 2007, 11:52 PM
And PSU : nothing good, all bad it shouldve just been PSO with PSU content. Its just ridiculous that a new title from a huge success has less than its previos ver (the updates will hopefully take care of that, which should include vs/challenge mode).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FisboFuxUup on 2007-09-15 21:53 ]</font>

FisboFuxUup
Sep 15, 2007, 11:59 PM
2 buttons for battle in PSU is also kinda lame. Etleast give us a short ranged roll / crouch / teleport (teleport would cost weapon PP, 100 if I called the shot) ability with its own button. If PM's died and never came back / turned into stat boosting mags at my command / vs mode (I wanna be a referee!!) / stat customization (materials) so we would all be different, I would be happy. n_n

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FisboFuxUup on 2007-09-15 22:08 ]</font>