PDA

View Full Version : What makes an S-Rank weapon special?

XDeviousX
Aug 17, 2007, 08:52 AM
I mean other then stats and looks there really isn't a difference between a Saber, a Jitseen, a rapier, or a crimson...

I thought about this for awhile and I couldn't help but think a special wepon should DO something special... Some melee weapons do get to land SE, but that really isn't extremely special either. At least crea weapons get an extra target on regular attacks, not much, but at least its something. PA's are nice and all, but I want my weapon to do more then look good and be a slight to ok boost in stats...

There is nothing wrong with making weapons look good with better stats, don't get me wrong. I still want an S rank weapon or two, but S-Ranked weapons don't have that special aura or feel to them, at least not to me, for some reason I can't fully explain... Maybe its just me, anyone else feel this way? Just after hundreds of runs for the board, materials, time spent synthing, and it actually not breaking, you'd hope that an S-Rank either had killer stat boosts from 9* weapons and or did something extra special...

And start flame.... NOW!

-dis-
Aug 17, 2007, 08:55 AM
These elusive rares are bottom of the barrel rares. Their main draw is their appearance, and this accounts for some of the dissatisfaction with the difficulty in acquiring them.

Mayu
Aug 17, 2007, 08:56 AM
-.-

ummm they do look special

Such a sweet Death

or a Hyper viper

or even yet the 10 star spear

They look special <.<

Medic
Aug 17, 2007, 08:56 AM
I feel the same way. I think sooner or later S rank weapons should have special moves. Bil De Vear Axe for example: ability to spin around like a Bil De Vear. Or something along those lines.

XDeviousX
Aug 17, 2007, 08:58 AM
On 2007-08-17 06:56, Ryuugu-Rena wrote:
-.-

ummm they do look special

Such a sweet Death

or a Hyper viper

or even yet the 10 star spear

They look special <.<

They look nice, well some do... and have good statss, but is that really enough to make them worth all the time/effort/cost of finding the board, materials, and time spent praying to the synth gods?

Mayu
Aug 17, 2007, 09:01 AM
Yeah

Bragin rights http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ( I'm sure everyone will agree -_- ) ''Look it me I'm the first with a kazarod!''

other then that well they look fine

Some S do look plain though

Such as 11 star daggers

They look like more bigger - Retarded A yomei daggers http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 17, 2007, 09:01 AM
Mostly, S-Ranks are exclusive for their ability to be flaunted and cherished by the owner, because they're the one thing that not every player can duplicate.

amtalx
Aug 17, 2007, 09:02 AM
I actually don't really use my S-ranks...gasp! They are pretty, that's about it.

NosajX7
Aug 17, 2007, 09:03 AM
the 10-12* weapons now are the 9* weapons of PSO, slightly better stats, that generally look cool. If you remember, the 10*-12* weapons of PSO were the ones that would do things a bit differently. Spread Needle was a rifle that acted as a shotgun. Yas 9k was a mechgun that acted as a rifle. J-Sword had that weird energy wave attack. most of the wands boosted certain techniques.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the 13*+ weapons would probably be the 10*-12* weapons of PSO, unless sonic team decides not to do anything special with the weapons...

here it comes...

THIS ISN'T PSO, THIS IS PSU. STOP POSTING STUFF ABOUT PSO. THIS IS PSU. PSU WINS.

and..... GO!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NosajX7 on 2007-08-17 07:44 ]</font>

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 17, 2007, 09:03 AM
I'll be showing off my pristine new Meteor Cannon when it's done synthesizing in an hour.

XDeviousX
Aug 17, 2007, 09:09 AM
On 2007-08-17 07:03, 360NyTeMaRe wrote:
I'll be showing off my pristine new Meteor Cannon when it's done synthesizing in an hour.

Good luck with that. Hope it works ad you can have the fun of using it.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 17, 2007, 09:12 AM
Thank you! I hope it works too, it's my second attempt.

XDeviousX
Aug 17, 2007, 09:22 AM
I was expecting to be "Flamed" over my thoughts about S-Ranked weapons... Maybe people agree? Or maybe there aren't enough people with s-ranks to dispute my post... That being said I'm off to hunt for a Double Agito board... (I'm a slave to rare hunting too, even with my complaints...) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

stukasa
Aug 17, 2007, 09:30 AM
On 2007-08-17 07:22, XDeviousX wrote:
I was expecting to be "Flamed" over my thoughts about S-Ranked weapons... Maybe people agree? Or maybe there aren't enough people with s-ranks to dispute my post... That being said I'm off to hunt for a Double Agito board... (I'm a slave to rare hunting too, even with my complaints...) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

People mainly want S-ranks for looks and bragging rights. That's it. The people who actually want the best equipment would rather grind A-rank weapons to +10 than have a 10* weapon. I agree that S-ranks should have something more special to them to justify them being rare. I think someone said that Psycho Wand is one of the only S-ranks that outclasses the A-ranks right now. That's why I want a Psycho Wand the most, not like I expect to get it though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

-Rune-
Aug 17, 2007, 09:32 AM
All in all, the real rare is what people think are important to them selves... Me personally I have plenty of "rare" weaopns that aren't labelled S. I have an Alteric +10 which is a 6* weapon but I wouldn't trade it for anything nor do i really want much else. Don't get me wrong an "S" weapon would be nice *hugs love bow* but it's not neccessary.

Truthfully I don't even have any great A rank weapons I'm actually really content with what I have, except my crea's I also count them as rares. The "S" is just a label that some people take pride in, not me though.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 17, 2007, 09:46 AM
I'm one of the people who cares more about performance, and that's why I traded my 20% ice Daiga-Misaki for a 44% ice Hanzo+5 and 500,000 meseta.

Sychosis
Aug 17, 2007, 09:47 AM
It's way more cost effective for me to find S ranks than to synth 30+ 9*s and buy 100 or so A+10 grinders.

RegulusHikari
Aug 17, 2007, 09:51 AM
On 2007-08-17 07:32, -Rune- wrote:
All in all, the real rare is what people think are important to them selves... Me personally I have plenty of "rare" weaopns that aren't labelled S. I have an Alteric +10 which is a 6* weapon but I wouldn't trade it for anything nor do i really want much else. Don't get me wrong an "S" weapon would be nice *hugs love bow* but it's not neccessary.

Truthfully I don't even have any great A rank weapons I'm actually really content with what I have, except my crea's I also count them as rares. The "S" is just a label that some people take pride in, not me though.

I can relate. My 16% Light Del Jagnus +10 and 34% Ice Dual Durandal +10 may be B rank, but they boasts stats almost equal to my Ragnus, and they're my first successful +10 weapons. I'm not about to trade them away. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Certain weapons appeal to certain people because of different reasons. I have a friend who barely uses his Halarod because his grinded Howrods are so much better, and I have another bud who uses his Huge Cutter over his high % Caliburn because it looks new and fresh, even if it is 10% ice.

Every ORPG I play, my goal is always to collect rares. Usually rares that I like the look of or suit my character's personality, even if there's something out there that is a step or two above it.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 17, 2007, 09:56 AM
I bet that dual durandal is stronger than the 2-Headed Ragnus!

bloodflowers
Aug 17, 2007, 10:08 AM
I like weapons that look good and perform. The difference between a Shigga Desta and a 10 grind Bines isn't really that great, so I use a Desta. Similar story with the Gur Bazga.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 17, 2007, 10:27 AM
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q277/Nytemare6789/NyTeMaRe/NyteyMeteorCannon.jpg

chibiLegolas
Aug 17, 2007, 11:00 AM
I agree. It would be nice to see S rank weapons to have extra effects, like:
melee S ranks = certain random SE depending on individual blades (kinda like the frying pan)
tech S ranks = specific tech boost for each weapon OR increasing SE by 1 (max SE4)
ranged S ranks = specific atp/ata boost for each weapon OR increasing SE level by 1 (max SE4).

XxTylerxX
Aug 17, 2007, 11:02 AM
...The way they look. and some s ranks are really powerful

XDeviousX
Aug 17, 2007, 01:18 PM
On 2007-08-17 09:02, XxTylerxX wrote:
...The way they look. and some s ranks are really powerful

Already covered in my OP...

The post isn't how much of a stat boost S-Rnaks give, but what besides stats and looks makes them special/worth the time, efferot, and cash invested in them. If you have a 50% elemental A-rank it will kill a 10-20% S-Rank of the same element for the most part. Looks are indeed good, and increased performance, but even if a S-Rank melee weapons deals a SE other lower ranked melee weapons do as well...

S-Ranks should stand out and shine, not just in looks, and not so much in stats. I'm not a stat whore, but I do like functionality. I'm just not jazzed about s-ranked weapons. I'd like to have one for it's looks and whatever stat increase it has, but I'm not really licking my chops over anything except s-ranked units...

Now ST did do a great job in making units I'd hunt for until my thumbs fall off from over use, and most of the good ones aren't even online yet, but when they are... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

pikachief
Aug 17, 2007, 01:20 PM
y do people always ask if theres more to S ranks tahn stats and looks? WHAT ELSE COULD THERE BE!?

beatrixkiddo
Aug 17, 2007, 01:28 PM
What makes an S-Rank special? The 10% element!

XDeviousX
Aug 17, 2007, 01:31 PM
On 2007-08-17 08:27, 360NyTeMaRe wrote:
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q277/Nytemare6789/NyTeMaRe/NyteyMeteorCannon.jpg

Congrats.

MSAksion
Aug 17, 2007, 01:48 PM
An S rank weapon is SUPPOSED to be a reward for playing so long. Only a high level player can even do the mission that the board drops.

AND that player has to have a pretty good Partner Machine to even create it.

AND that player has to have a good team to survive those missions over and over again - that shows dedication to the game.

Now we all know this isn't true. Its so frickin hard to even find the stupid board only to have it fail later or come out only 10% (SEGA HATES HUNTERS)

There are low levels running around with Meteor cannons and halarods. These are either ALTS that are borrowing their main's weaponry, or a friend gave them the weapon cause a lvl 55 can't have gone on Mad Beasts S2 and find a Twin Ragnus now could he?

Sad thing is that if you take a 6* or a 9* and grind it up its ALMOST or just as good as an S weapon. In fact i like the 6* GRM FALCON over the 9* PHANTOM in terms of looks. And i like the 6* ALTERIC's looks over the 9* ULTERI. And my 6* are all grinded to +10 so they are just as good as my 5+ Phantom and my +5 Ulteri ANd its cheaper to recharge low Star Rarity weaponry.

So in short - an S rank weapon means YOU are better than everyone else... but not really. People should CHILL OUT and just play the game with your friends. S ranks are JUST A STATUS Symbol...

now GIB ME a Shi-Kikami and an Uransara ;_; i got 2000 hours logged and only a halrod present/gift to call my own...

pikachief
Aug 17, 2007, 01:53 PM
and i got 2000 hours logged on with a halp serafi i pretty much bought >.>

the probelm i have with this games rares is that they make them impossible to find, and when they update the game the give us more things im not gonna find!!

every S2 update we have gotten besides Seabed has been pointless to me since i have found nothing form any of them! to me it feels like the only 3 ral updates we've gotten in a long time were the SUV's, HSM, and firebreak.

I cant wait for famitsu, not only cuz im actually gonna get an S rank, but because theres something actually new that i can experience! adding S2 missions is not new, your basically just throwing in wepaons im never gonna see!

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 17, 2007, 01:57 PM
I have well over 2,600 hours on my first character, about 1,200 on my second character, and about 250 on my third character.

XDeviousX
Aug 17, 2007, 02:05 PM
I don't care about how rare S-Ranks are, I think it's a shame that S-ranked weapons have no real special abilities other then looking good. I like the PA system and all, but geez, it wouldn't kill ST to add a special ability to the ost rare weapons on the game... It doesn't even have to be a uber-powered ability, just something extra that would really make s-ranks stand out... (I mean some look cool, but looks < effectiveness/ability)

I'mnot sure if all the hunting I've done/am doing will be worth it when I realize my bucaneer out performs my crimson saber because of elemental %'s and grinds...

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 17, 2007, 02:33 PM
I agree w/ Pikachief, S ranks are just impossible to find, and I'll never have one ever. So its kind of pointless to go through hours and hours of failed searches. IMO a 9* weapon is the best that I'll ever get in this game, and when I see things this way, I'm not so sad about certain classes losing certain S ranks in some weapons.

Niloklives
Aug 17, 2007, 03:32 PM
You can start hunting S rank weapons at lvl 35. then at intervals after that you can progress further out. not only that, but these drops are based completely on luck, not time invested. you can run the same mission over and over again for weeks and never se a board drop, then agree to help a friend hunt a board once day and watch them get it in 10 runs.

Time invested, level, number of PAs/classes capped, PM B st, etc...NONE of these effect drop rate and there's no explanation for why those of us who invest long tireless hours grinding missions fruitlessly get mails from people who've found their 5th 6th..10th srank and are selling it cause they've no use for one. it's pretty insulting that you'd say sranks are a reflection of time invested when they're clearly not.

I've been runnig dual sentinel S2 since it was released. in my first run I got two claw boards...yeah A rank boards. and in 50 runs that was all i saw while others were getting meteor cannons and halarods...even a few double agitos have bene found. a friend mails me and wants to join saying they want a storm line board if it drops. not a problem. they stick with me for the next day too and sure enough their board droped...3 days I'm there and the first S rank board that drops is the one somoene else wants.

since then a few more claw boards drop and 2 relic edges...I've killed hundreds upon hundreds of every large enemu you can see in there. I've killed 160+ de ragnuses and cracked open a lot of crates. even from the boss boxes I've only gotten ONE dorso and that's been his best drop.

S RANKS ARE NOT A MEASUREMENT OF TIME INVESTED!!

S aranks ar ethe reason people quit, S ranks aren't even bragging rights...I mean what's the message? "I'm luckier than you"?

I'm hoping for this new maximum attack or whatever they end up calling it...but I have this sick feeling I'll walk away from it with no more than i have NOW, while i get mails from other people asking if shigga desta is any good or if I have any spare ydral fr their 7th halarod.

but...yeah S ranks are just pretty...funtionality wise, an A rank even grinded to +5 will havebetter stats than its 10* counterpart in most cases...and on melee weapons, since %s are so important you've likely got a PM full of muktrands that will outperform your mungungruks, nightwalkers better than your sweet deaths and crea doubles, gudda gants you'll get more mileage out of than your gudda skellas...and...well you get the point. it doesn't help that many of these 10* melee weapon are bound to a certain element.

and I know this is abrupt but...bleh
/rant

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NIloklives on 2007-08-17 14:21 ]</font>

Crazy_Hunter
Aug 17, 2007, 04:03 PM
On 2007-08-17 13:32, NIloklives wrote:
S ranks are just pretty.

XDeviousX
Aug 17, 2007, 04:05 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif^ Takes time to level to be able to play the mission the s-rank is on, from 35-75 depending, it takes time to find and or buy the synth items, and it takes over 24 hours to synth the item and find out if you have the worlds most expensive healing item... That my friend is time invested... You could potentially find a board on your first run of a mission, but having all the synth items already when that happens is rare, and everyone has to wait for the synth time... Other then that I agree with the above post. (The post above the on above mine...) lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XDeviousX on 2007-08-17 14:06 ]</font>

Zorafim
Aug 17, 2007, 04:09 PM
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z88/Einhart2/psu20070810_141843_011.jpg

This image alone is enough to warrant my time spent. Unfortunately, this weapon is the easiest S rank for me to get, so getting others will be more frustrating.

It's a bit of a shame that S ranks aren't like PSO's rares, which are actually worth the time spent getting them. After nearly no time invested, one can get a DB's Saber and a Varista. After a large amount of work, one can get a Red Sword, which outperforms other weapons by a noticeable amount. And now, we have weapons that take longer than the Red Sword to obtain and may even be worse than items comparable to a Gladius. It seems rather unbalanced to me.

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 17, 2007, 04:23 PM
You can start hunting S rank weapons at lvl 35. then at intervals after that you can progress further out. not only that, but these drops are based completely on luck, not time invested. you can run the same mission over and over again for weeks and never se a board drop, then agree to help a friend hunt a board once day and watch them get it in 10 runs.

Time invested, level, number of PAs/classes capped, PM B st, etc...NONE of these effect drop rate and there's no explanation for why those of us who invest long tireless hours grinding missions fruitlessly get mails from people who've found their 5th 6th..10th srank and are selling it cause they've no use for one. it's pretty insulting that you'd say sranks are a reflection of time invested when they're clearly not.

I've been runnig dual sentinel S2 since it was released. in my first run I got two claw boards...yeah A rank boards. and in 5 runs that was all i saw while others were getting meteor cannons and halarods...even a few double agitos have bene found. a friend mails me and wants to join saying they want a storm line board if it drops. not a problem. they stick with me for the next day too and sure enough their board droped...3 days I'm there and the first S rank board that drops is the one somoene else wants.

since then a few more claw boards drop and 2 relic edges...I've killed hundreds upon hundreds of every large enemu you can see in there. I've killed 160+ de ragnuses and cracked open a lot of crates. even from the boss boxes I've only gotten ONE dorso and that's been his best drop.

S aranks ar ethe reason people quit, S ranks aren't even bragging rights...I mean what's the message? "I'm luckier than you"?

I'm hoping for this new maximum attack or whatever they end up calling it...but I have this sick feeling I'll walk away from it with no more than i have NOW, while i get mails from other people asking if shigga desta is any good or if I have any spare ydral fr their 7th halarod.

but...yeah S ranks are just pretty...funtionality wise, an A rank even grinded to +5 will havebetter stats than its 10* counterpart in most cases...and on melee weapons, since %s are so important you've likely got a PM full of muktrands that will outperform your mungungruks, nightwalkers better than your sweet deaths and crea doubles, gudda gants you'll get more mileage out of than your gudda skellas...and...well you get the point. it doesn't help that many of these 10* melee weapon are bound to a certain element.

/rant

Wow, out of all of the posts I've read, this is definitely by far the best one I've read in a long time, and I quote this for fucking truth. I'll never get an S rank, and now, I'm starting to feel that I don't really even care if I never get one.

You sir, win this thread.

ShadowDragon28
Aug 17, 2007, 04:42 PM
I *pray* drop rates are raised some in AoI. I could care less about "bragging rights", and stats I'm not too concerned with. Grindind system and syth rates are all improved in AoI, so hopefully the "first tier" S-rank boards drop rates will be a bit higher ala' PSO Ep I&II.

Right now the only S-Rank's I care to hunt for (once I'm a high enough lvl to to do Hive S runs) is Carriguine-Rucar.
The second one I'd love to find (if it's ever released!) is the Tyrant Spa(r)da. For me it's about completing a particular *asethetic* look and *theme.*
Very few of the S-ranks actually *fit* the theme/asthetic I'm trying to accomplish.
http://gfxevolution.com/uploads/psu/melee/tyrant_spada.jpg

Once my main characters gets to like Lvl 140 (in AoI) the stats on any S-Rank I don't think will matter all that much.

Zorafim's pretty much got his whole theme & asthetic nailed down with the S-Rank that matches his character's theme and color scheme.

Zorafim
Aug 17, 2007, 04:52 PM
Well, I still need a holy weapon to complete Levia's look, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thrilled with my Skela.

And, I must say. Despite my dislike of sabers, the Apocalypse is one good looking weapon. Erm, what is your character theme anyway?

TheLOLBandit
Aug 17, 2007, 05:09 PM
long story short
they look different
they are stronger
and they are more rare

XDeviousX
Aug 17, 2007, 05:25 PM
On 2007-08-17 15:09, TheLOLBandit wrote:
long story short
they look different
they are stronger
and they are more rare

Why do people restate the obvious like its a new, valid, or expandable point? Not trying to be rude, but this has been stated 100 times and is not the point of this thread...

The point is besides looks, stats, and drop rate, what makes an S-Rank worth hunting and or special from a 9* weapon? That is the crux of the post. A grinded or high % 9* is better then some s-ranked weapons. S-Ranks are rare because of drop-rates by why are they so rare when they do so little besides look good and boost stats slightly. Its not like a 10* weapon crushes a 9* weapon, even if the 9* isn't grinded. For all such low drop rates and rare synth mats a s-rank weapon feels like it should do/be more then what they do...

ShadowDragon28
Aug 17, 2007, 05:39 PM
Zorafim>>>>
Something like this is my theme & asthetics im going for:

http://www.anime.com/Vampire_Hunter_D/images/01.jpg
combined with this
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q115/mwraiden/Berserk.jpg

Chaobo99
Aug 17, 2007, 05:40 PM
Im for appearacne and looks..maybe 11*s have good power.

ShineOnline
Aug 17, 2007, 05:44 PM
Should have made Ultimate PAs only work with S-ranks. Help to really differentiate the classes.
But it would really exacerbate the problems with low drop rate.

Niloklives
Aug 17, 2007, 05:45 PM
they don't

Zorafim
Aug 17, 2007, 05:46 PM
I wasn't aware D could be combined with Guts.

Dre_o
Aug 17, 2007, 05:47 PM
1) Why? Cause I can have them.

2) Why not get a 9* Weapon with 50% +5? I DO NOT HAVE 50 MILLION MESETA TO SPEND.

3) As a PSO Veteran, I was obligated by my honor to get something to replace my old Double Saber, Twin Brand, and Stag Cutlery (note: I didn't use these all the time, they were just so badass...)

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 17, 2007, 05:50 PM
Looking at some things now, the Twin Sabers which are Shiro's main weapons don't have any S ranks that fit the Samurai-style aesthetics that I'm looking for with him, and the Ryo-sabeud would probably come closest to the oriental warrior thing with him than most of the S rank Twin sabers I've seen.

Sychosis
Aug 17, 2007, 05:50 PM
Well I already stated that I find S ranks to be cheaper than high grind weapons. And you ignored and/or didn't care about it.

If that isn't enough, and I don't know how much this applies to everyone else, but since they are harder to acquire a bunch of my S ranks hold some sentimental value to them. For example my Uransara is the first S rank my team ever found. My Halarod was found during Firebreak, so it's a nice momento. My Gudda Skela was a surprise gift from my friends. Stats, looks, monetary value...it all matters squat compared to the less noticable reasons I keep my S ranks around in my palette.

Was that a satisfactory answer?

Niloklives
Aug 17, 2007, 06:13 PM
On 2007-08-17 15:50, Sychosis wrote:
Well I already stated that I find S ranks to be cheaper than high grind weapons. And you ignored and/or didn't care about it.

If that isn't enough, and I don't know how much this applies to everyone else, but since they are harder to acquire a bunch of my S ranks hold some sentimental value to them. For example my Uransara is the first S rank my team ever found. My Halarod was found during Firebreak, so it's a nice momento. My Gudda Skela was a surprise gift from my friends. Stats, looks, monetary value...it all matters squat compared to the less noticable reasons I keep my S ranks around in my palette.

no...cause they are most certainly not cheaper or even easie rto obtain. for about 500k you can get just about any 9* and grif it to +5 on your own. some people actually sell 9*s grinded that higher for less than that. in fact I saw a 22% earth buccaneer +5 for 400k. I've bought guns grinded to +8 for 700k and THAT's on PS2/PC. how in the hell does that compare to the 6mil the 360 users PAY in player shops? its certainly cheaper to grind A ranks the buy S ranks frm players and less time consuming than hunting one of your own. plus mats and the wait period plus chances of success. and as i said, melee weapons are a completely different world.

S ranks are for looks, anyone who says different is selling something.

Jaspaller
Aug 17, 2007, 06:16 PM
S-ranks will mainly be for looks until we get the S grinder boards... but even then most people would probably be too scared to grind S-ranks.

Chaobo99
Aug 17, 2007, 06:16 PM
7-8M for a halarod on x360 and its around..well some sell it for 8M a 10 gring howrod

ShadowDragon28
Aug 17, 2007, 06:29 PM
Well I like to merging of the archtrypes of: byronic hero, knight-errant, with subtle
gothic-tinged Neo-Romantism over-tones.

Back on topic.

I do pray S-Rank boards have a 90% - %100 in AoI, probably won't happen but I can always hope...

Niloklives
Aug 17, 2007, 06:31 PM
right but you don' need your howrod grinded to +10 to match a halarod. at +7 its only 2 tp lower and has over 100 more PP with lower reqs and ANY race can equip it making it instantly better. and you can actually get these weapons in completed form. in fact I bought 5 howrods ungrinded for 200k each the other day. the odds of me getting ONE of those to +7 is pretty darn good. even if I didn;t...sy I got 3 to +5 I could turn around and sell those for more than I invested by far. or use them with similar output to a halarod as a lvl 23 FT and not even BOTHER hunting a hala....cheaper to refill too...

Sychosis
Aug 17, 2007, 07:25 PM
On 2007-08-17 16:13, NIloklives wrote:

On 2007-08-17 15:50, Sychosis wrote:

no...cause they are most certainly not cheaper or even easie rto obtain. for about 500k you can get just about any 9* and grif it to +5 on your own. some people actually sell 9*s grinded that higher for less than that. in fact I saw a 22% earth buccaneer +5 for 400k. I've bought guns grinded to +8 for 700k and THAT's on PS2/PC. how in the hell does that compare to the 6mil the 360 users PAY in player shops? its certainly cheaper to grind A ranks the buy S ranks frm players and less time consuming than hunting one of your own. plus mats and the wait period plus chances of success. and as i said, melee weapons are a completely different world.

S ranks are for looks, anyone who says different is selling something.

Maybe you just have poor luck in finding S ranks? I have 2 Halarods myself, and helped find and synth 2 more for friends.

I know I have poor luck in grinding. I bought two Howrods ungrinded for 300k each, broke both going from 2->3 with +9 (yes, 9) grinders on 3* luck. 630k for nothing.

Risk losing more money attempting to get a Howrod +7, or get Halarods as they drop while simultaneously hunting a Psycho Wand. I'll take the Halarods, thanks.

Niloklives
Aug 17, 2007, 07:46 PM
I have no luck either way - but it sounds to me more like you have very GOOD luck finding S ranks...because I know a whole lot of people who've been playing as long as i have and are still looking for their first board...I mean I have a lvl 90 and a lvl 83 have played well over 2500 hours and can count the S ranks I've seen drop on one hand.

..but talking about just money alone, a howrod +7 would cost you less. and as I already made clear, S ranks are completely luck based... the difference between this and grinding is the ammount of luck involved is a smaller dagree, less time consuming and generally controllable.

and while I have poor luck grinding(took me 50 ulteris and a full stack of A+10s to get a single ulteri +10), just to prove a point, i took the 5 howrods and 1million meseta which I used to make grinders, resulting in 5 a+10s 5 A+9s, 20 A+8s and a slew of +7s...of those 5 howrods, 3 made it to +7 and two of three granarodocs made it to +6. on the 360 I could take all of those and sell them for enough to buy ONE halarod...why in god's name would I do that? I have three rods that are just as strong and two good buff rods. and it cost me 1/4 what a halarod costs on 360...on PS2/PC if I sold all that I'd be 1/4 of the way TO a halarod...

I'll take what's ATTAINABLE...thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NIloklives on 2007-08-17 17:48 ]</font>

Sychosis
Aug 17, 2007, 07:55 PM
Well, like I said in my first post. It's more cost effective for me. Good luck finding S ranks + Terrible luck in grinding = more S ranks than sufficiently ground A ranks on my palette.

It's a valid enough reason for me.

BahnKnakyu
Aug 17, 2007, 11:22 PM
Some S-ranks actually do have special effects. Daigo-Misaki's freeze is pretty effective for soloing.

Zorafim
Aug 17, 2007, 11:25 PM
I second the Daiga's freezing ability being good. Very useful against worms using the first PA.

KamiSori
Aug 18, 2007, 12:22 AM
On 2007-08-17 14:23, Shiroryuu wrote:

I've been runnig dual sentinel S2 since it was released. in my first run I got two claw boards...yeah A rank boards. and in 5 runs that was all i saw while others were getting meteor cannons and halarods...even a few double agitos have bene found. a friend mails me and wants to join saying they want a storm line board if it drops. not a problem. they stick with me for the next day too and sure enough their board droped...3 days I'm there and the first S rank board that drops is the one somoene else wants.

/rant

Wow, out of all of the posts I've read, this is definitely by far the best one I've read in a long time, and I quote this for fucking truth. I'll never get an S rank, and now, I'm starting to feel that I don't really even care if I never get one.

You sir, win this thread.

couldnt have put it better myself.

for the rarity of s rank weapons they might as well make their stats godlike. lol maybe not but S rank weapons should defitetly come with unique attributes. have some weaps attack/shot/cast faster, have some weapons be able to hold 2 PAs, have some come with a different standard attack etc.

who knows, maybe sega is waiting for S2 weapons (13-15*) to give us some special weapons.

or its possible that maybe they will eventually release S rank Photon Arts only usable on S rank weapons. both of these possiblities seem unlikely but it something to think/dream about

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KamiSori on 2007-08-17 22:31 ]</font>

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 18, 2007, 02:22 AM
On 2007-08-17 21:25, Zorafim wrote:
I second the Daiga's freezing ability being good. Very useful against worms using the first PA.

Check this out.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5Xy7lmkgQbk

Zorafim
Aug 18, 2007, 02:28 AM
What about it?

Sinue_v2
Aug 18, 2007, 02:31 AM
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but here's an idea. For certain S-Ranks, how about weapon-specific PA's that would sort of take the place of "extra" attacks found on PSO weapons? These innate PA's would be permenantly and automatically linked to a weapon when you equip it. However if you link a PA to it, it will over-ride the initial PA until you unlink it.

So you could have an S-Rank Saber that fires a low level Megid as a PA, for example, but you lose that ability once you link Rising Strike or something to it.

Innate weapon PA's could be fairly powerful in their own right - but unable to gain levels like normal PA's.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 18, 2007, 02:32 AM
It just shows the effect of Daiga-Misaki and how useful it can be.

ljkkjlcm9
Aug 18, 2007, 02:41 AM
basically it sounds like people complaining about S ranks think they should be these game breaking amazing weapons. They're not there for that, they're there to be special. To make you stand out.

This whole thread is dumb because people stated what makes the S rank special, it's looks, it's rarity, it's slightly better stats, and sometimes an SE. That is what makes it special. Saying, "Besides these things that make it special, what makes it special?" is just absurd to me. Like, ok you like red apples, but lets say we cut out everything and leave you with the core of the apple, how is that any better than the core of a green apple?

honestly people, if the rarity and looks aren't enough for you to want an S rank, then don't hunt them. It's your choice, but if you're not hunting them, I have no idea what else you're doing with maxed characters lol

THE JACKEL

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 18, 2007, 02:44 AM
The core of the green apple is sour

Jet1337
Aug 18, 2007, 07:11 AM
I think that the S-ranks should've been more powerful. I don't like the idea of a +5 A-rank being more poweful than an S rank. That's just retarded.

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 18, 2007, 07:19 AM
Actually, I read that "Fortegunner + Twin Pistol Lover = Sad" thread and I realized that maybe making these S ranks not so great wasn't a bad idea afterall. I mean, its like some people would switch classes for the sole purpose of using an S rank weapon, when they can use A ranks that aren't that much weaker. Like, what if a Fortefighter just wants to use Twin Sabers or Twin Daggers and not Axes and Spears? By not making S ranks so powerful, the Fortefighter who chooses to use Twin Sabers or Daggers isn't really missing out on anything. Same with a Wartecher who's using Madoogs and a Blade, and not really using wands which they S rank at, the Wartecher won't be missing out on much for using Madoogs, and IMO that's not a bad thing.

Zarode
Aug 18, 2007, 08:08 AM
Certain S-Ranks actually have special things about them. But it's mostly the guns that get these special things.

Both the blackbull (10* Rifle) and rattlesnake(11* Rifle) have longer range, faster firing rates, and just look very cool. (cmon, you have to agree there http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif )
The Shigga Desta's(10* Shotgun) bullets have a wider range to hit things. This could add to the damage by having bigger splash. The 11* Shotgun, Shigga Beret (I think that's the name) might have the same offering.

There's some good things to having S-ranks, and some of them are just skins on the weapon type that look very interesting.

It is known that most S-Ranks grind very well tho, so eventually people will outgrow there A-Ranks when they are able to grind their S-Ranks. (remember B-Ranks when A-Ranks first came out? This is what comes to mind.)

I bet this has already been said too. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Oh and Sychosis, we're a lot more alike then you think we are. I'm hate grinding with a passion really, and getting S-Ranks does save a lot of money compared to grinding a bunch of A-Ranks. So I'm siding with Sychosis (which is rare, we have yet to see eye-to-eye ever, so it seems.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zarode on 2007-08-18 06:10 ]</font>

Niloklives
Aug 18, 2007, 08:30 AM
S rank grinders aren't even out in JP where are you getting "It is known"? the double agiro is a clear exception to al rulles as it is a 12* SWORD that starts with only 300 atp. so that better not be your proof.

in fact if you watch the trends, weapons grind worse and worse as you progress through the ranks. so the reality is some of these 12* will still not be THAT much stronger by comparison at max grind to a 9* at max grind. the only difference is I don't have to kkill my self for 2 and a half months for each 9* I'm going to shatter as I attempt to reach that max grind. And don't bring up AoI since we're talking about how things are NOW and the depletion rule is potentially just as bad as breaking it.

GoDz
Aug 18, 2007, 08:37 AM
On 2007-08-17 07:03, NosajX7 wrote:
the 10-12* weapons now are the 9* weapons of PSO, slightly better stats, that generally look cool. If you remember, the 10*-12* weapons of PSO were the ones that would do things a bit differently. Spread Needle was a rifle that acted as a shotgun. Yas 9k was a mechgun that acted as a rifle. J-Sword had that weird energy wave attack. most of the wands boosted certain techniques.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the 13*+ weapons would probably be the 10*-12* weapons of PSO, unless sonic team decides not to do anything special with the weapons...

here it comes...

THIS ISN'T PSO, THIS IS PSU. STOP POSTING STUFF ABOUT PSO. THIS IS PSU. PSU WINS.

and..... GO!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NosajX7 on 2007-08-17 07:44 ]</font>

no this isnt pso but i think that we should take a look and see what sonic is changing through their games because if theyre getting worse im not gettin the next pso/psu

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GoDz on 2007-08-18 06:43 ]</font>

Niloklives
Aug 18, 2007, 08:41 AM
go have a look at AoI...>_>

GoDz
Aug 18, 2007, 08:42 AM
On 2007-08-18 00:32, 360NyTeMaRe wrote:

not to be mean or anything but...u only froze like 1nce...

Zarode
Aug 18, 2007, 08:48 AM
On 2007-08-18 06:30, NIloklives wrote:
S rank grinders aren't even out in JP where are you getting "It is known"? the double agiro is a clear exception to al rulles as it is a 12* SWORD that starts with only 300 atp. so that better not be your proof.

Actually, that was the Agito Replica. Kubara weapon. Just had special grind stats. Grinding is based on a certain percent for most weapons. Percent rises the harder it is to grind. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

in fact if you watch the trends, weapons grind worse and worse as you progress through the ranks.

Really? Then why grind any A-ranks? Your opinion makes no sense.

so the reality is some of these 12* will still not be THAT much stronger by comparison at max grind to a 9* at max grind.

My axe, the Bil De Axe, is already stronger then a fully grinded Ank Pikor. Slightly, only, but that does matter.

the only difference is I don't have to kkill my self for 2 and a half months for each 9* I'm going to shatter as I attempt to reach that max grind. And don't bring up AoI since we're talking about how things are NOW and the depletion rule is potentially just as bad as breaking it.

AoI is about the time we will beable to grind S-Ranks. That is the reason I brought it up. And yes, there is a difference. It is true you have to work for these, and pray when you put them in that they don't come out as a healing item rather then a weapon. Then you gotta pray it is a high percent which can easily be produced through Mass Production.

A-Ranks have their perks, and so do S-Ranks.

Right now, as I may point out something I said earlier but you probably didn't catch it

(remember B-Ranks when A-Ranks first came out? This is what comes to mind.)

B-Ranks were stronger, usually, when you grinded them when compared to ungrinded A-Ranks. And at one point, you weren't able to grind A-ranks, but able to grind B-Ranks. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif I hope you see what I am trying to get at... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

So in some sense, I agree, S-Ranks are pretty much useless. But to someone like ME. Note: ME. They are pretty wicked, since I hate grinding, and I don't mind to hunt these items down because I am easy mode in a box. I am a fortegunner, and I can easily solo most S2 missions.

I'm sorry if this offends you, but I guess I wasn't clear my last post or something. Oh well. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Zael
Aug 18, 2007, 09:07 AM
Storm + Stormline beats Python +10

Niloklives
Aug 18, 2007, 11:51 AM
On 2007-08-18 06:48, Zarode wrote:
way too much to quote.

Right as i said it was a special case so the argument made that S rank weapons grind well is unfounded.

you grind A ranks because if you want to get the most out of any weapon type that would be the way to do it. people who care more about damage and efficiency than looks get more out of grinded A ranks than they would S ranks. and since A ranks are much easier to obtain, the risk factor with grinding them compared to the S ranks one mugh eventually come across is much less persistant. my "opinion" is hard fact, nothing less.

your bil de axe takes too long to get parts for alond with a board just to have it fail. and the 10% atp drop when using PAs puts the pikor back on top along with the fact that I can produce multiple pikors in less time just farming materials and thus have a better shot a higher elemental modifier pushing my total ATP even higher. so your special axe is pretty meaningless.

also your argument about how much luck is involves with S rank melee weapons is the essence of my point. it takes entirely too much luck to get the board. then you have to be even luckier to get the weapon to come out at all and luckier STILL to get a decent % on melee weapons. this is exactly why NOT to invest so much time in S ranks and exactly WHY A ranks are generally a better choice and exactly WHY getting one is only a sigh of how much BS the luck system in this game really is. You said it yourself:`s ranks are all about luck.

the difference between the B-A rank sitioation and the A-S rank situation...is that when A ranks came out...WE COULD BUY THE WEAPONS READY MADE OR BUY THE BOARDS AND MATS AND MAKE THEM OURSELVES. you don't have to hunt A ranks, you don't have to scrounge for the right metals and wood. and you don't have to spend weeks on end gettinga board hat only gives you one shot at the title. if S ranks we as readily available as A ranks we wouldn't even be HAVING this discusion. but they're not so your point is moot.

keep your S ranks and keep hunting your S ranks...my point is that they are more for looks than anything else and its silly to lie to yourself and others and try to make them seem as though they're anything more than a shinier version of what you already have that takes way more work to get and EVEN MORE WORK STILL to get a good one when it comes to melee. when a weapon comes out that can do instant death lvl 2+ just as a part of it hitting anything at all...then we'll have a reason to get excited about these weapons again.

Zarode
Aug 18, 2007, 12:38 PM
On 2007-08-18 09:51, NIloklives wrote a whole bunch of:
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8820/emotwordsfl8.gif

Whatever. I'm sick of this. I think I'll take your advice and just go stick my S-Ranks up my arse. Good job, you won an argument on the internet.

DraginHikari
Aug 18, 2007, 01:39 PM
PSO and PSU both differ from alot of other online games where there is only a handful of equipment you can have to be considered 'useful' and 'efficentive'. Looks of weapons often only are enough to draw people to find them. The reason is that it seems like you can be efficentive in this game with most parties and the equipment you have doesn't dicate whether your good at a game or not.

Two things seem to make lower weapons seem better, the flawed elemental % system and the grinding system. The flawed elemental system is being worked on in AoI and how it's calcuated shouldn't have ever been to increase or decrease your overall damage by a percent total (Whether on armor or weapon). S-ranks with percent would be worthwhile if the elemental %s were maybe linked to the ATP of a weapon rather then the overall damage your doing to an enemy.

The grinding system allows you to make a decent weapon of a lower rank compete with weapons of higher rank. The problem is that grinding right now can be rather expensive and risky. Some people have no problem pull out 7-10 grind weapons, I barely can get one to 4 or 5 at the most. And like with A-ranks before there is no way to improve an S-rank right now. So obiviously yea you can do that if your very lucky.

Either way that's my bit...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DraginHikari on 2007-08-18 11:42 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DraginHikari on 2007-08-18 11:43 ]</font>

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 18, 2007, 02:04 PM
On 2007-08-18 06:42, GoDz wrote:

Well, it still shows the effect. I think I froze a couple enemies by the way.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 18, 2007, 02:06 PM
On 2007-08-18 06:42, GoDz wrote:

Well, it still shows the effect. I think I froze a couple enemies by the way.

XDeviousX
Aug 18, 2007, 02:19 PM
On 2007-08-18 00:41, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
This whole thread is dumb because people stated what makes the S rank special, it's looks, it's rarity, it's slightly better stats, and sometimes an SE. That is what makes it special. Saying, "Besides these things that make it special, what makes it special?" is just absurd to me. Like, ok you like red apples, but lets say we cut out everything and leave you with the core of the apple, how is that any better than the core of a green apple?

honestly people, if the rarity and looks aren't enough for you to want an S rank, then don't hunt them. It's your choice, but if you're not hunting them, I have no idea what else you're doing with maxed characters lol

THE JACKEL

You are half right, but every level of weapon from c-s advances in stats, looks, an rarity. Therefore, this trend doesn't/shouldn't make an S-Ranked weapon special, and even some lower leveled weapons cause SE, but SE on a melee weapon is special no matter what rank. Its not like I'm saying S-Ranked weapons suck or I wouldn't want one, just I don't see the big deal other then looks for the most part. I'm not asking for anything overpowered and I'm not even asking for anything, just stated that I can't get as excited about s-ranked weapons as some people and I don't think the effort to get them is rewarded fully. I mean, unless it gets a high % it's not a huge deal, but that can be said for any weapon rank, so...

If its so hard to get them, why don't they stand out or "shine" more? The special ability could even fall into the trend of asthetics as all PSU things do... I mean something as simple as a crimson saber animate a huge bursting eruption on a critical would be cool, even if the eruption didn't add more damage or land a SE, it would be cool/special enough for me to geek on it for months! not everyone is a power gamer or likes to complain about how they're getting screwed...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XDeviousX on 2007-08-18 12:21 ]</font>

KamiSori
Aug 18, 2007, 03:24 PM
^agrees with this guy. im obssessed with rares and s ranks too but ive started to realize that when the only real difference in S and A ranks is appearance, their charm doesnt quite last as long as one might hope. i hate to be "that guy" and refer to PSO but, PSO rares seriously > PSU rares, they just had much more to offer.

MrNomad
Aug 18, 2007, 04:38 PM
well odds are they wont be rares come AoI, so all the fokls being bloody vaginas about A ranks> S ranks will change their mindset and be like S ranks> S2 ranks.

Niloklives
Aug 18, 2007, 06:00 PM
that's only in S ranks were to become a easy to obtain as A ranks. even then what we'd be talking about would be very circumstances Zarode spoke of before...where we're not praising A ranks so much as the most readily available rank while still of noteworthy power.

as i said before, the REASON I say A ranks are a better option is not simply because they can be grinded...but that I could synth just about any A rank weapon I wanted on a whim thanks to the synth shops. this is not an option with S ranks. if it were, I doubt this topic would even exist.

to to clarify, Its not about A ranks. it's about the most powerful rank you can maxx produce which at this moment happens to be A ranks.

MaximusLight
Aug 18, 2007, 06:12 PM
Well my Halp Serafi has higher pp regeneration than the Deva-zachi does, along with better reach and other such things, I don't thing that being S-rank really mean any more that they weapon lasts longer and is significantly more powerful than most weapons. Now if you look at the power differences between the rare S ranks and the rare A ranks you'll see why they are special, rare A ranks tend to have a bit more power or a single extra ablity but not both S rank rares have both extra power and special ability.

For example look at the Crea Saber it get to hit an extra target but it's Att. is cut in half compaired to a Jetseen, where as crea doubles can hit an extra target AND have better Att. than a standard Sweet Death. The difference is that with each increase in in rank the abilities become vastly better.

Finae
Aug 18, 2007, 06:30 PM
No needz to flamez but....

Eh, I valued rares in PSO more. Atleast my double saber had that special where you'd get tp in return. I'd value a S rank in PSU if it had a similar effect. Right now, not worth the time to hunt S ranks.

OP, you're right, these S ranks aren't anything special, but I would suggest stocking up on them when S grinder boards come out (LOOOONNNNNGGG TIMMMMEE LOL). S ranks start to get good when they are 12 star or better. Most of the s ranks have special visual effects on them, but other than that, they aren't anything special. Joe smoe will get tired of it after a day or week and want the next best thing. It'll never stop. People who make the classic "I'm tired of using x weapon" argument really don't have a argument in the first place. Like I said, you get that S rank, you'll get tired of that and want another. Other games, you use that same weapon model no matter if you upgrade it now until the devs feel like making new weapon models.

What Sega needs to do is bring out interesting S-Ranks in the future. Bring back some of those specials from PSO if you can't think of anything else. It makes obtaining that particular S-Rank more valuable. But if someone asked me, "would you use 10% 11 star twin daggers over 9 star twin daggers with 30-50%?" I would choose the 9 star even if that 11 star had other effects.

Anyways, famitsu cup will remedy the overated S-Ranks issue. Majority of s ranks won't be so "special" to some because everyone else has one haha. Oh but if you have a psycho wand or a unit that doesn't drop via famitsu, continue to feel special. Oh and for the ones who drool over weapon looks and effects, I have something for you to play. Its called a Korean MMO, I could list some for you, but do it yourself. Then you can drool all you want over your weapon and go back to PSU feeling good http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

Niloklives
Aug 18, 2007, 06:56 PM
On 2007-08-18 16:12, MaximusLight wrote:
Well my Halp Serafi has higher pp regeneration than the Deva-zachi does, along with better reach and other such things, I don't thing that being S-rank really mean any more that they weapon lasts longer and is significantly more powerful than most weapons. Now if you look at the power differences between the rare S ranks and the rare A ranks you'll see why they are special, rare A ranks tend to have a bit more power or a single extra ablity but not both S rank rares have both extra power and special ability.

For example look at the Crea Saber it get to hit an extra target but it's Att. is cut in half compaired to a Jetseen, where as crea doubles can hit an extra target AND have better Att. than a standard Sweet Death. The difference is that with each increase in in rank the abilities become vastly better.

crea doubles does not hit an extra target. it hits 4 enemies just like any other double saber and the reach in my experience is the same...it just looks longer.

As far as your halp serafi, that's a kubara weapon which as many of us already know have several properties to them that make them unique. for starters kubara weapons do not have set regen patterns for each weapon type. So while a doublesabic regens 5 pp per tick, the crea doubles only regen 4 and the carriguine rucar only regens 2. The high regen rate of your halp is a unique property of the weapon.

Furthermore while it does boast greater power than the deva-zashi...I'd like to point out for starter that this is a seasonal weapon that cannot be obtained again until next easter...so this weapon is about as unobtainable as they get.

Some OTHER things you may not know or failed to mention: Halp serafi being a kubara weapon takes s 10& drop in power when using PAs. so when I use buten shuren zan with my 44% fire shiratsuno zashi...unless you were very lucky and got a high % on your halp...i'll be doing more damage than you. and I didn't spend the easter season in the linear line to get mine.

Bringing us to another point: Halp serafi is only able to be fire. so while your dagger is attarctive and all, the reality is, a deva zasho or a shiratsuno zashi could potentially do mpre damage since I can have a light one to use on dark enemies, or an ice one to use of fire enemies...and so on.

I've used a halp and the range is no better than a shiratsuno.

so your higher atp and pp regen come at a price. and in many cases may not even be worth using if we're talking about actual output. but it's pretty, right?

...enjoy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NIloklives on 2007-08-18 17:04 ]</font>

Zael
Aug 18, 2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah, everybody should care about their weapons being the absolute most efficient ones, because fun is defined by how fast powerful you are. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

People find S-rank weapons special because they're unique. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Niloklives
Aug 18, 2007, 07:54 PM
and no one is arguing that point. but the OP asked what aside from looks made these wepons so special..so of course then the question would be overall functionality. and so that's where the discussion is. if you're more concerned about looks than power, in some cases you may not even want s ranks...hell some people may preffer to use flourecent bulbs and harrisen fans over S ranks just cause of looks.

the point I made though was quite clear: if you care more about power than looks, grinded A ranks are in most cases much better than S ranks and are much easier to get. this is not opinion, this is fact. by all means though continue to hunt your S ranks if you want. i'm certainly not trying to stop you.

ljkkjlcm9
Aug 18, 2007, 08:16 PM
On 2007-08-18 17:54, NIloklives wrote:
the point I made though was quite clear: if you care more about power than looks, grinded A ranks are in most cases much better than S ranks and are much easier to get. this is not opinion, this is fact. by all means though continue to hunt your S ranks if you want. i'm certainly not trying to stop you.

and there was a time when grinded B ranks were better than A ranks. Did everyone forget S ranks will be grindable, and not only that by the time they can be grinded, it'll basically be AoI, it may even be after AoI has been out, meaning weapons won't break! And for all we know, S ranks could grind easier than the A ranks.

So sure, your A ranks may be better NOW, but you don't know if that'll stay true. Oh and Psycho wand, is better than any A rank grinded, so yes, some S ranks are just that much better.

THE JACKEL

RegulusHikari
Aug 18, 2007, 08:31 PM
On 2007-08-18 18:16, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

and there was a time when grinded B ranks were better than A ranks. Did everyone forget S ranks will be grindable, and not only that by the time they can be grinded, it'll basically be AoI, it may even be after AoI has been out, meaning weapons won't break! And for all we know, S ranks could grind easier than the A ranks.

So sure, your A ranks may be better NOW, but you don't know if that'll stay true. Oh and Psycho wand, is better than any A rank grinded, so yes, some S ranks are just that much better.

THE JACKEL

I'm fairly sure the P-wand +0 actually beats the Okarod +10 completely as well.

Kylie
Aug 18, 2007, 09:09 PM
In my opinion, what makes an s-rank special is solely its rarity and appearance. A-ranks can get the job done, but people want to have a weapon that's special and only a few people have. My only complaint is that the way s-ranks are distributed seems pretty unfair; people can search and search for whatever and never ever get a glimpse of it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif Oh well, personally, I'm not really dying to get one, but I suppose it would be nice...

MaximusLight
Aug 18, 2007, 09:12 PM
On 2007-08-18 16:56, NIloklives wrote:

On 2007-08-18 16:12, MaximusLight wrote:

crea doubles does not hit an extra target. it hits 4 enemies just like any other double saber and the reach in my experience is the same...it just looks longer.

As far as your halp serafi, that's a kubara weapon which as many of us already know have several properties to them that make them unique. for starters kubara weapons do not have set regen patterns for each weapon type. So while a doublesabic regens 5 pp per tick, the crea doubles only regen 4 and the carriguine rucar only regens 2. The high regen rate of your halp is a unique property of the weapon.

Furthermore while it does boast greater power than the deva-zashi...I'd like to point out for starter that this is a seasonal weapon that cannot be obtained again until next easter...so this weapon is about as unobtainable as they get.

Some OTHER things you may not know or failed to mention: Halp serafi being a kubara weapon takes s 10& drop in power when using PAs. so when I use buten shuren zan with my 44% fire shiratsuno zashi...unless you were very lucky and got a high % on your halp...i'll be doing more damage than you. and I didn't spend the easter season in the linear line to get mine.

Bringing us to another point: Halp serafi is only able to be fire. so while your dagger is attarctive and all, the reality is, a deva zasho or a shiratsuno zashi could potentially do mpre damage since I can have a light one to use on dark enemies, or an ice one to use of fire enemies...and so on.

I've used a halp and the range is no better than a shiratsuno.

so your higher atp and pp regen come at a price. and in many cases may not even be worth using if we're talking about actual output. but it's pretty, right?

...enjoy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NIloklives on 2007-08-18 17:04 ]</font>

^_^

This is all true I'm just saying that this can apply to maany rares that we don't have yet. Just because it's a kubara weapon does not mean that future store bought weapons will not have similar unique abilities.

My main point being that when you get to S-Rank the weapon will be a killer reguardless of grind or anything else.

As far as maximizing damage goes, I call all of that stuff a matter of opinion because I'm just here for kicks
^_^
My Halp does tons of damage, it has an element no one uses... yet, so it's just different, as for the PA difference, meh it makes no big difference. I love it
n.n

Niloklives
Aug 18, 2007, 10:33 PM
On 2007-08-18 18:31, RegulusHikari wrote:

On 2007-08-18 18:16, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

THE JACKEL

I'm fairly sure the P-wand +0 actually beats the Okarod +10 completely as well.

jackel, i said MOST cases...not like everyone is finding the boards and parts for psycho wands ANYWAY...but that weapon beats every other rod in tod game hands down...so that's clearly a special case.

but as I said before. A rank superiority not only stems from grinding but the ablity to be mass produced. once those two things appl y to s ranks as well, A ranks will be phased out.

but so long as most people fear grinding ther s ranks and theres no easy way to up chances of a high attribute mod on melee...A ranks will be superior weapons.

,,,except for psycho wands...

Stefanhizzle
Aug 18, 2007, 10:40 PM
Yes its true.. most 10* weps arent much stronger than 9's... 3 of 4 grinds adn youve got an S-rank beat.

But.. Does it look as cool? I THINK NOT!!
its harder to get which makes it special.. hunting for 2-3 days then finding just what you want makes u feel all good and fuzzy inside ^_^

Niloklives
Aug 18, 2007, 11:26 PM
try 2-3 weeks and never getting it...ever

omegapirate2k
Aug 19, 2007, 12:04 AM
Many of them are accompanied with a special effect, and thats one reason, mostly it's just for E-peen.

Besides, they have different models than any of their A rank counterparts, which is nice.

Zael
Aug 19, 2007, 05:17 AM
and no one is arguing that point. but the OP asked what aside from looks made these wepons so special..so of course then the question would be overall functionality. and so that's where the discussion is. if you're more concerned about looks than power, in some cases you may not even want s ranks...hell some people may preffer to use flourecent bulbs and harrisen fans over S ranks just cause of looks.

And didn't Zarode say this?

"So in some sense, I agree, S-Ranks are pretty much useless. But to someone like ME. Note: ME."

You ranting and flaming at him is pretty stupid after he just admitted that S ranks are pretty much useless.

And don't tell me to go hunt S ranks or not. I already have 40+ 44-50% 9* melee weapons, a palette of +10 guns, and a palette of +10 wands and rods. I'm more than good enough, and I'll continue to hunt S-ranks to trade to people who'll pay too much for them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zael on 2007-08-19 03:18 ]</font>

Goukezitsu
Aug 19, 2007, 06:09 AM
Ya know one thing i realized is...People say grinding an A rank weapon would be better than an S rank, but when I looked most of the weapons had to be grinded to 9 before even catching up.

Also elemental weapons usually don't get grinded so I'm not seeing that point in that either. Now I see the easier to get higher % argument but if you had a high percent S rank it easily beats out an A rank.

Also S ranks have higher attack speed and a larger range (on guns). 12*s attack speed will be much more drastic though since at the moment its only slight.

S ranks also have a superior look (for the most part) and some added SE's that can aid a ton (Daiga-Mizaki freezing and destroying goshin) .

I mean its not impossible to get high % s ranks, and 11*s and 12*s are more powerful than any +10 weapon (talking about melee weapons not guns) and there un-grinded at that.

I guess it will take S rank grinders and aoi to draw this argument to a final close.

I will admit though its hard to get these weapons a less likely to obtain the maximum of the weapon. So its more of a luck / determination thing to really destroy the easier A rank alternative.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Goukezitsu on 2007-08-19 04:16 ]</font>

biggabertha
Aug 19, 2007, 06:54 AM
S ranks aren't for current full time Protransers... *Cries*

Also, S rank weapons are mythical things. There's no such thing as a Kan Yu or Carriguine Rucar. There really isn't.

XDeviousX
Aug 19, 2007, 10:07 AM
On 2007-08-19 04:09, Goukezitsu wrote:
Ya know one thing i realized is...People say grinding an A rank weapon would be better than an S rank, but when I looked most of the weapons had to be grinded to 9 before even catching up.

Also elemental weapons usually don't get grinded so I'm not seeing that point in that either. Now I see the easier to get higher % argument but if you had a high percent S rank it easily beats out an A rank.

Also S ranks have higher attack speed and a larger range (on guns). 12*s attack speed will be much more drastic though since at the moment its only slight.

S ranks also have a superior look (for the most part) and some added SE's that can aid a ton (Daiga-Mizaki freezing and destroying goshin) .

I mean its not impossible to get high % s ranks, and 11*s and 12*s are more powerful than any +10 weapon (talking about melee weapons not guns) and there un-grinded at that.

I guess it will take S rank grinders and aoi to draw this argument to a final close.

I will admit though its hard to get these weapons a less likely to obtain the maximum of the weapon. So its more of a luck / determination thing to really destroy the easier A rank alternative.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Goukezitsu on 2007-08-19 04:16 ]</font>

You missed the point. I never said an A ranked weapons was better then and S-Ranked weapon, power is not the point! Of coarse S-Ranked weapons are stronger and better looking then A Ranked weapons, but that shouldn't mean they are "special". If you made a Rapier hard to find and took them out of the store they would be rare too, but not special...

There are C, B, and A ranked melee weapons that add SE on attacks, that is special, but since its not applied to all S-Ranked weapons, that isn't a universal arguement...

I would expect a 12* weapon to crush a 9* and 10* weapon in power, but just because it looks better, has better stats, and is hard to find, isn't a boost to making it "special", rare, valuable, and strong, yes, but what makes them shine? Looks and better stats are great, don't get me wrong, but looks don't = everything. Stats are good, but if the difference between a 12* weapon and a 15* weapon is also looks and damage I'll be sad...

Sekani
Aug 19, 2007, 11:13 AM
On 2007-08-19 08:07, XDeviousX wrote:

I would expect a 12* weapon to crush a 9* and 10* weapon in power, but just because it looks better, has better stats, and is hard to find, isn't a boost to making it "special", rare, valuable, and strong, yes, but what makes them shine? Looks and better stats are great, don't get me wrong, but looks don't = everything. Stats are good, but if the difference between a 12* weapon and a 15* weapon is also looks and damage I'll be sad...

Is this a rhetorical question? If it isn't, I don't understand why you're still asking when you've been given the answer roughly 20 times. If you choose to dismiss the answer because it's not good enough for you, that's not anyone else's problem.

Sychosis
Aug 19, 2007, 11:39 AM
Aside from the butter, what makes buttered toast better than normal toast?

omegapirate2k
Aug 19, 2007, 11:43 AM
On 2007-08-19 09:39, Sychosis wrote:
Aside from the butter, what makes buttered toast better than normal toast?

Nothing, thats his point.

XD

Sychosis
Aug 19, 2007, 11:45 AM
I know, s'why I broke the topic down into one easy to understand sentence :/

omegapirate2k
Aug 19, 2007, 11:47 AM
On 2007-08-19 09:45, Sychosis wrote:
I know, s'why I broke the topic down into one easy to understand sentence :/

Whats the point of that? I could understand you if I took the time to read a long drawn out summary, whats the difference between a short summary and a long one besides the length, time to read and the time to write?

NOTHING

Sychosis
Aug 19, 2007, 11:49 AM
You sir, have opened my eyes!

omegapirate2k
Aug 19, 2007, 11:56 AM
On 2007-08-19 09:49, Sychosis wrote:
You sir, have opened my eyes!

Gosh, it's about time.

MrNomad
Aug 19, 2007, 11:56 AM
And what the hell's wrong with getting an S rank for the looks? "Oh, its kubara! we get -10% deduction ;(" Oh boo hoo, you cant do that 5-10 extra dmg like with normal weapons, what a dissapointment! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif Really, its the later game, and im tired of the same looking A ranks, thats what annoys me. 7-9* looks the same but are different stats. Sorry, but I want something that looks kickass, I dont care if I cant grind S ranks yet. Besides you hafta grind A ranks a shitload in order for them to make a difference, which mean waiting for 3* luck to grind unless you're on the PC/Ps2 and have a lot of haxeta left over. As good as that is with stats, its STILL gonna look plain as usual. And then again, some S ranks have a much better amount of pp, and I'd rather have more pp than not do that extra 5-10 dmg with a regular A rank, plus Ill have a much cooler looking weapon http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Mayu
Aug 19, 2007, 11:58 AM
Svaltus Sword> Caliburn http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif!!!

well in looks and PP <3 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

omegapirate2k
Aug 19, 2007, 12:00 PM
On 2007-08-19 09:56, MrNomad wrote:
And what the hell's wrong with getting an S rank for the looks? "Oh, its kubara! we get -10% deduction ;(" Oh boo hoo, you cant do that 5-10 extra dmg like with normal weapons, what a dissapointment! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif Really, its the later game, and im tired of the same looking A ranks, thats what annoys me. 7-9* looks the same but are different stats. Sorry, but I want something that looks kickass, I dont care if I cant grind S ranks yet. Besides you hafta grind A ranks a shitload in order for them to make a difference, which mean waiting for 3* luck to grind unless you're on the PC/Ps2 and have a lot of haxeta left over. As good as that is with stats, its STILL gonna look plain as usual. And then again, some S ranks have a much better amount of pp, and I'd rather have more pp than not do that extra 5-10 dmg with a regular A rank, plus Ill have a much cooler looking weapon http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I've heard about the -10 deduction on kubara weapons, but I've never seen any evidence of it.

And something you may want to add on to your argument, S ranks have the potential to become greater than their A rank counterparts when grinded (Although I'm not going to suggest this until we get the expansion >_>)

Mayu
Aug 19, 2007, 12:07 PM
It exist ;P

My ran misaski does more dmg then my bear claws ;P

Same elemental
Same %

Ran misaski does 10-20 more dmg then bear claws in PA damage
Bear claws do like 50+ more dmg in normal attacking

omegapirate2k
Aug 19, 2007, 12:09 PM
On 2007-08-19 10:07, Mayu wrote:
It exist ;P

My ran misaski does more dmg then my bear claws ;P

Same elemental
Same %

Ran misaski does 10-20 more dmg then bear claws in PA damage
Bear claws do like 50+ more dmg in normal attacking

I see...

Mayu
Aug 19, 2007, 12:10 PM
All though Bear claws are superior to the whole more PP usage ;P

As in Crea doubles> Nightwalker

Niloklives
Aug 19, 2007, 02:25 PM
depends on the elemental %. the fact that you don't have to spend 3 weeks hunting a nightwalker board, 6 vulcaline, 3 stelnium, 9 par ebons and 10 photons of your choice is an advantage,

what xdev is saying though..is that these things that many of you guys say makes s ranks special are things that can be said about other weapons too...not s ranks. it's just that S ranks are the last tier. so if there's any argument to be made about S ranks and what makes them special, its that there's no where else to go once you get them save for grinding.

RegulusHikari
Aug 19, 2007, 02:32 PM
The PA reduction on Kubaras is completely stupid and unnecessary. Honestly, what's the point of having more PP if that PP is used for a less powerful attack.

Kubara = junk
A rank +5 > S rank
Elemental % > ATP/DFP

Each one of those points is more of an incentive not to upgrade your equipment. I really wish ST would balance some of these things out.

XDeviousX
Aug 19, 2007, 02:34 PM
Again, ALL higher star weapons are more powerfull then lower star weapons, and all higher star weapons get better graphical enhancements. That is called a trend. 2* weapons are better then 1 star, and 10* weapons are better then 9*, and 12* weapons are better still, but what makes a 12* "special". Raity? The stats aren't so amazing that you'd kill to get one, not that I'm a stat whore, but I'd like my "rare" and "special" weapon to do something special. The 10* + guns have different looking bullets and some people say they shoot faster. That is good, great in fact, but I'm not sure it gets my juices flowing...

I gues a better question would be, what makes a S-Rank worth the time for you to hunt personally and what do you as a player define as special? I personally would like to get an S-Ranked weapon but I'm not supe hyped about any so far. The few I think look good would be a nice addition to my character, but since I use funtional weapons and PA's more then all out power ones, and S-Ranked weapon is not a must have for my style of play if it's just for show (Looks) and another gradual power increase from A-Ranks (although 12* and up should be a bigger jump, still)

Some nifty looking special effects applied to the weapons would be nice, or like somebody else suggested, a S-Ranked specific PA would be sweet too...

As for people stating the same things 20 times, I stated it in the OP. A weapon looking better, with better stats is a good thing, great in some instances, but nothing "special" or new. Even if you make a weapon "rare" or hard to find shouldn't be a reason to say its special if it doesn't do ANYTHING special. S ranks are SUPPOSE to be stronger then A Ranks, that isn't special people, that is the trend! The status quo!!! THE NORM, ETC....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XDeviousX on 2007-08-19 12:35 ]</font>

RegulusHikari
Aug 19, 2007, 02:40 PM
I think the best way to sum all of this up is: "What makes an S-rank weapon special?" Nothing. They aren't special.

Sekani
Aug 19, 2007, 03:25 PM
On 2007-08-19 12:34, XDeviousX wrote:
As for people stating the same things 20 times, I stated it in the OP. A weapon looking better, with better stats is a good thing, great in some instances, but nothing "special" or new. Even if you make a weapon "rare" or hard to find shouldn't be a reason to say its special if it doesn't do ANYTHING special. S ranks are SUPPOSE to be stronger then A Ranks, that isn't special people, that is the trend! The status quo!!! THE NORM, ETC....

So looks, stats, etc. don't make a weapon special to you. That doesn't invalidate what people have already said, because they're special to them.

And so we have this ridiculous impasse that has continued for a hundred-something posts. It probably would be more worthwhile to ask what makes buttered toast special if it's not the butter.

Rashiid
Aug 19, 2007, 03:31 PM
i think this thread is kinda useless...

i say its like a 24% ice A rank (4).......

we need a 10% light S rank (0) one! it would be so much shinyyyyyyyyyyer!!!!!!

*has gone crazy

XDeviousX
Aug 19, 2007, 04:27 PM
On 2007-08-19 13:25, Sekani wrote:

So looks, stats, etc. don't make a weapon special to you. That doesn't invalidate what people have already said, because they're special to them.

And so we have this ridiculous impasse that has continued for a hundred-something posts. It probably would be more worthwhile to ask what makes buttered toast special if it's not the butter.

An a ranked weapons has a supremely better stats then a C-Ranked weapon, itlooks better graphically, not style wise maybe, but graphically there is more detail, and they are harder to obtain, and some a-ranked weapons add SE. But you wouldn't call an A-Ranked weapon "special" even though it rules over most weapons. S-Ranked weapons are an upgrade at this point. There is nothing new going on with them except looks. I wouldn't mind having a c-ranked weapon that did something different, but to say S-ranks are "special" because they continue a trend is silly to me. There is no difference between buttered toast (S-Ranks) and buttered bread (A-Ranks). They are both good, but buttered toast with imported jam IS special. I never said their aren't ANY special weapons. i consider crea weapons special because they have a SPECIAL ability. I don't think they're great or powerful, but they are special. A melee weapon that adds SE on its attach is kind of special, but a gneral S-Ranked weapons doesn't do anything that it isn't suppose to. It's suppose to be better then and A ranked weapon in stats and looks, and be harder to obtain. This isn't a special quaility, its an upgrade, one that is nice to have/own, but when I say special, I mean what is their about this weapon that is different from the others.

Making S-Ranked weapons Rare doesn't make them special to me, valuable yes, and a good upgrade. There is a difference between a good upgrade and something being special. I don't know why anyone would argue against having weapons with unique abilities...

MrNomad
Aug 19, 2007, 05:02 PM
On 2007-08-19 14:27, XDeviousX wrote:

An a ranked weapons has a supremely better stats then a C-Ranked weapon, itlooks better graphically, not style wise maybe, but graphically there is more detail, and they are harder to obtain, and some a-ranked weapons add SE. But you wouldn't call an A-Ranked weapon "special" even though it rules over most weapons. S-Ranked weapons are an upgrade at this point. There is nothing new going on with them except looks. I wouldn't mind having a c-ranked weapon that did something different, but to say S-ranks are "special" because they continue a trend is silly to me. There is no difference between buttered toast (S-Ranks) and buttered bread (A-Ranks). They are both good, but buttered toast with imported jam IS special. I never said their aren't ANY special weapons. i consider crea weapons special because they have a SPECIAL ability. I don't think they're great or powerful, but they are special. A melee weapon that adds SE on its attach is kind of special, but a gneral S-Ranked weapons doesn't do anything that it isn't suppose to. It's suppose to be better then and A ranked weapon in stats and looks, and be harder to obtain. This isn't a special quaility, its an upgrade, one that is nice to have/own, but when I say special, I mean what is their about this weapon that is different from the others.

Making S-Ranked weapons Rare doesn't make them special to me, valuable yes, and a good upgrade. There is a difference between a good upgrade and something being special. I don't know why anyone would argue against having weapons with unique abilities...

God whatever! You're such a block head and Im done wasting my time here "LoL I dOnt LiK S rAnks Cuz ThEy Don Do SpEcIl ThIngs Lik Bak FliPs"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MrNomad on 2007-08-19 15:14 ]</font>

XDeviousX
Aug 19, 2007, 05:29 PM
On 2007-08-19 15:02, MrNomad wrote:

On 2007-08-19 14:27, XDeviousX wrote:

God whatever! You're such a block head and Im done wasting my time here "LoL I dOnt LiK S rAnks Cuz ThEy Don Do SpEcIl ThIngs Lik Bak FliPs"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MrNomad on 2007-08-19 15:14 ]</font>

Why can't you read my statements? I never said i didn't like S-Ranked weapons, just think they aren't "special" because they don't do anything special. I am saying I am hoping for special weapons later, wether they are c, b, a, or s ranked weapons. If you're going to be so angry over other people's OPINIONS then you shouldn't even bother posting on forums...

I read your posts and answered respectfully, but you chose to be rude, so in the future please avoid responding to my posts until you can be adult about it...

Zorafim
Aug 19, 2007, 05:48 PM
Simply ignore posters like that. They get pleasure out of arguments, which isn't good for the overall health of this topic.

Apone
Aug 19, 2007, 06:49 PM
What else is there a weapon CAN do? besides killing things and doing it in cooler looking ways than the generation before them? I guess they could make them give you abilities (like that side roll the beasts on the train do) or It would be cool if you got a certain type of rod or wand you would float instead of run. I think what may keep the S ranks from being special is becase all the special stuff is learned and attached to any weapon. You can do all the fancy flips and stuff with a 1* or a 12* It kinda takes all the creativity out of it ya know?
what if all sranks did come with there own formidable arts that could be leveled giving them a sense of customization and individuality? no 2 S ranks would be the same. That would truly make them special because YOU would make them special.
Right now I would say its like getting a really cool car compared to the crappy one you used to drive. hmmmmm ah well.

Niloklives
Aug 19, 2007, 07:01 PM
so S ranks get you chicks?

...Well I'm sold

McLaughlin
Aug 19, 2007, 07:11 PM
On 2007-08-17 06:52, XDeviousX wrote:
I mean other then stats and looks there really isn't a difference between a Saber, a Jitseen, a rapier, or a crimson...

*facepalm*

You also forgot to exclude the fact a large number of them inflict status effects. Wouldn't want those to unbalance the comparison. >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-08-19 17:16 ]</font>

pikachief
Aug 19, 2007, 07:21 PM
On 2007-08-19 17:11, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

*facepalm*

You also forgot to exclude the fact a large number of them inflict status effects. Wouldn't want those to unbalance the comparison. >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-08-19 17:16 ]</font>

crimson can burn!? awesome >.>

and do wands/rods and guns do anything special besides look cool and do more damage? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

XDeviousX
Aug 19, 2007, 07:41 PM
On 2007-08-19 17:11, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

*facepalm*

Actually I didn't forget that fatc, read through my many posts and you would ee, but that would take a lot of time... (not kidding, its nine pages!!!) and Crimson doesn't inflict SE unless they added it to online play...

Status effect does make any melee weapon more special, but since there are c,b, and a ranked weapons that can cause SE as well, its not S-Ranked exclusive either now is it? The question wasn't what makes certain s-ranked weapons special, but s-ranks as a whole...

If looks, and stats are enough for you, then I'm happy for you. Like I said, I'd like to have an -rank or two myself, but I'mnot stressing over it like I feel maybe I should. SE on melee weapons is nice but I'd like to see something new if possible... (Not like face blasting or uber-powerful, just different...)

pikachief
Aug 19, 2007, 07:45 PM
B rank weapons cause statues effects? i want a B rank that causes statues effects!! GIB ME RAWRS!

Niloklives
Aug 19, 2007, 07:47 PM
metero cannon burns things...other than that....not to my knowledge though its been argued that S ranks guns fire faster and somoene was trying to say that halarod cast faster than say a howrod though I haven't seen evidence of that.

as far as attack speed with melee weapons I can guarantee there's no difference.

though if S rank guns really do have increased range and RpF, that would certainly be a reason to get them.

or hey how about a gun that increases the chances of applying an SE? or has a built in bullet save? those would be guns worth tracking down. what if there was a twin hadgun that gave all your bullets splash?

yeah a few (not a lot) of S rank melee weapons have SEs...but they're usually SE1 or SE2 and are generally SEs that have little use on a melee weapon. Sleep being the main one here. putting an enemy to sleep is pointless when the next part of your combo is going to wake them up. freezing an enemiy is not all that great when the next attack with shatter the ice, poisoning an enemy is a terrible things since it prevents burn...and as stated before...eben C ranks can do these things. heck twin harrisen fans can cause stun. Now THAT'S and SE I'd love to have on ANYTHING.

pikachief
Aug 19, 2007, 07:50 PM
my meteor canon doesnt burn things, neither have i seen anyone elses canon burn things

Niloklives
Aug 19, 2007, 07:55 PM
I read that it did, though it may be only burn lvl 1 or I may have been misinformed...but if it doesn't...one less reason to get it I guess.

pikachief
Aug 19, 2007, 07:56 PM
yea my lvl 22 friend uses it all the time and he has never said anything about it burning http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

he stil owes em the other 1 mil for it though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

ljkkjlcm9
Aug 19, 2007, 07:57 PM
On 2007-08-19 17:50, pikachief wrote:
my meteor canon doesnt burn things, neither have i seen anyone elses canon burn things

I have with fire bullets!!!

anyways, it definitely feels as if my twin ragnus attack faster. And don't say it's just me, because every friend I've seen that got them, I was with them the first time they tried them and they said, "Wow do these attack faster?"

So obviously I'm not the only one who feels that way.

THE JACKEL

Niloklives
Aug 19, 2007, 08:28 PM
I have a crea doubles, a deva zasgi and a gudda skella and I'be not felt a great attack speed with ANY of them...though its possible that the increased attack speed is something your ragnus has...or maybe it's just you and your friend =)

BanF
Aug 19, 2007, 08:31 PM
To answer the original question:

1. You put enough time and effort in order to get all the components and then synthed it successfully.

2. It gives eye candy.

Of course, if you buy it you can't claim #1, but usually one gets the benefit of the doubt, doesn't one?

Niloklives
Aug 19, 2007, 09:35 PM
time and energy exerted is not proportional to the outcome of the end result as previously demonstrated

ljkkjlcm9
Aug 19, 2007, 09:49 PM
On 2007-08-19 18:28, NIloklives wrote:
I have a crea doubles, a deva zasgi and a gudda skella and I'be not felt a great attack speed with ANY of them...though its possible that the increased attack speed is something your ragnus has...or maybe it's just you and your friend =)

no see, it wasn't one friend, it was about... 5 friends
but, Crea Doubles grinds really well
Deva has silence SE
and Gudda Skella has sleep SE

wow, all of them have something special!

THE JACKEL

McLaughlin
Aug 19, 2007, 09:57 PM
I did read the entire goddamn topic. But in the first sentence of the first post, you excluded the only two things that differentiate weapons from each other: Stats and Looks. You've left us to compare names. Nothing seems to please you.

"Barring the jam, what makes a jam sandwich better than two slices of bread piled on top of each other?" is basically what you've asked us. And you got your goddamn answer fifty fucking times. Stats and Looks.

Take a page out of your own damn book and read the fucking responses.

DonRoyale
Aug 19, 2007, 10:00 PM
Their stars are gold.

They look neater.

But they recharge more expensively and ground 9*'s beat them!

"SHUT UP!"

>.>

Rashiid
Aug 19, 2007, 10:01 PM
....must be some thrill/sensation to win in internet wars.....

pikachief
Aug 19, 2007, 10:02 PM
WHO HERE WANTS THIS TOPIC LOCKED!?

I DO!

(lol caps make posts stand out more)

XDeviousX
Aug 19, 2007, 10:33 PM
On 2007-08-19 19:57, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
I did read the entire goddamn topic. But in the first sentence of the first post, you excluded the only two things that differentiate weapons from each other: Stats and Looks. You've left us to compare names. Nothing seems to please you.

"Barring the jam, what makes a jam sandwich better than two slices of bread piled on top of each other?" is basically what you've asked us. And you got your goddamn answer fifty fucking times. Stats and Looks.

Take a page out of your own damn book and read the fucking responses.

I thought you said you were done... Obviously either you're missing something, or I am...

I haven't disagreed that the things you mention make an S-Ranked weapon valuable, but not special to ME or a lot of people that play aperently. If you don't agree, feel free to disagree, but there is no right or wrong when it comes to opinion. You are not pso-world's final authority.

What I like and what you like are two different things, and what I think is special and what you do are two different things. If you think that s-ranks are gold and need nothing new added, then fine, no need for you to post, but as far as my opinion, I have a right to speak it and post it as long as I'm not insulting people or going against forum rules.

I would wager that if ST made S-Ranks with swet special abilities you'd be the first praising how awesome they were, but for some reason you act like it shouldn't happen. If we alll are playing a game shouldn't we all want the most out of the experience? Why are you AGAINST players that want more out of their gaming experience?

Its not like you made the game orhave anything invested in what I think. If you disagree that is fine, but the moment you say I'm wrong for my opinion you are proving that you cannot post respectfully on a message board about a video game...

I excluded those two things for a reason other people seem to be able to grasp, since you can't, or won't, don't let this topic worry you anymore. There are plenty of people that disagree but have respected other posters and the topic at hand...

omegapirate2k
Aug 19, 2007, 10:58 PM
You keep mentioning how you say it's ok for people to disagree with you, but you clearly take great offense when they do so, what are you playing at?

EDIT: You also say that it would be cool to have special effects on S ranks.

GUESS WHAT? MANY OF THEM DO HAVE SPECIAL GRAPHICAL EFFECTS ADDED ON, GOD ST IS AMAZING!

On 2007-08-19 20:01, Rashiid wrote:

...must be some thrill/sensation to post random comments that have absolutely no bearing on the topic...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: omegapirate2k on 2007-08-19 21:06 ]</font>

XDeviousX
Aug 19, 2007, 11:28 PM
On 2007-08-19 20:58, omegapirate2k wrote:
You keep mentioning how you say it's ok for people to disagree with you, but you clearly take great offense when they do so, what are you playing at?

EDIT: You also say that it would be cool to have special effects on S ranks.

GUESS WHAT? MANY OF THEM DO HAVE SPECIAL GRAPHICAL EFFECTS ADDED ON, GOD ST IS AMAZING!

On 2007-08-19 20:01, Rashiid wrote:

...must be some thrill/sensation to post random comments that have absolutely no bearing on the topic...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: omegapirate2k on 2007-08-19 21:06 ]</font>

There are a lot of people that disagree with me and I'll debate them and either agree with them, stand my ground, or move on. I do not get mad at being disagreed with, just being insulted...

As for graphical effects on some s-ranks, I did mention that the effects on the guns are neat, but that melee weapons are kind of lacking in that department in my opinion... (Even the Crimson saber is nice, but...)

Again, you are acting like my opinion even matters that much. Your opinion = to my opinion which amounts to a lot of waisted space online...

Point: I think S- Ranks need to be more "Special" because they don't feel "Special" to me. This point has been agreed with and disagreed with. When I post a reply its to further how I feel, not to dispute how anyone else does. I would hope I wouldn't have to continue to type out. "In My Opinion" when I expand on a point.

I don't feel a natural progression of power and looks warrents an S-Ranked weapon being "special" but if you do, fine, that has been heard from the people that have no problems with the way things are. I'd like to hear the thoughts of other people on what they think and would like in the future for "special" weapons.

Not trying to start a flame war, but why do you people feel the need to argue about other people's opinions so much? I don't begrudge you your opinion, let me expand on mine...

Dj_SkyEpic
Aug 20, 2007, 12:39 AM
I'll say that I get satisfaction from after gaining what I hunted for - for so long.
All of the effort and time placed in the thought of the 's-rank' that you 'researched' should give more into your reason for why the weapon is special to you.

You don't have to call an S rank special if you don't want to. They are only labeled 'S' for their status in front of 'A' rank. The game itself would only label it as a 'higher' rare.
Players themselves label S-type weapons 'special' through their own reasons.

McLaughlin
Aug 20, 2007, 02:48 AM
On 2007-08-19 20:33, XDeviousX wrote:

I thought you said you were done... Obviously either you're missing something, or I am...

First off, quote where I said I was done.

haven't disagreed that the things you mention make an S-Ranked weapon valuable, but not special to ME or a lot of people that play aperently. If you don't agree, feel free to disagree, but there is no right or wrong when it comes to opinion. You are not pso-world's final authority.

Second of all, quote where I claimed to be any kind of authority. I stated my opinion. I'm flattered you took my opinion as authority, but that's simply not the case. The thing about this discussion is, you keep repeating yourself. You keep saying that's not what you're looking for in them, but you won't specify what'd satisfy you.

What I like and what you like are two different things, and what I think is special and what you do are two different things. If you think that s-ranks are gold and need nothing new added, then fine, no need for you to post, but as far as my opinion, I have a right to speak it and post it as long as I'm not insulting people or going against forum rules.

Actually, your topic title asks the general populous what they think makes S rank weapons special, which brings me to...

I would wager that if ST made S-Ranks with swet special abilities you'd be the first praising how awesome they were, but for some reason you act like it shouldn't happen. If we alll are playing a game shouldn't we all want the most out of the experience? Why are you AGAINST players that want more out of their gaming experience?

I'm not acting like it shouldn't happen. That's your own insinuation. I don't give a flying fuck one way or the other. If they look cool, I'm sold. I'm not against players who want more or less from the game, that's another insinuation. You told me just a second ago that opinion doesn't necessarily reflect your own, so why are you telling me what I should want from my game, and telling me what I am and am not against?

Its not like you made the game orhave anything invested in what I think. If you disagree that is fine, but the moment you say I'm wrong for my opinion you are proving that you cannot post respectfully on a message board about a video game...

Quote where I said you were wrong. It seems you think that I can't explain my own opinion if it conflicts with yours because I'm being disrespectful. It's alright for me to say "I disagree," but as soon as I say why, I've insulted you? You want to debate, but every time someone's opinion contrasts with your own you take great offense to it and then pretend the post never existed, or you pussy-foot around their point and continue on your way, while maintaining the facade that it's alright for people to disagree with you.

I excluded those two things for a reason other people seem to be able to grasp, since you can't, or won't, don't let this topic worry you anymore. There are plenty of people that disagree but have respected other posters and the topic at hand...

How about you tell me the reason you excluded the three things that differentiate weapons in this game, instead of pulling a Durakken and simply assuming I'll step down.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-08-20 00:52 ]</font>

XDeviousX
Aug 20, 2007, 05:34 AM
I have explained multiple times why I exclude those three things in many posts, but at the risk of people saying I'm repeating myself: an S-Ranks power/looks/Possible SE is a natural progression of weapons grades. An A ranked weapon isn't special because it is "better" then a c-ranked weapon, so why should an s-ranked weapon? I think a lot of the s-ranked weapons are designed well and have good-decent power, but I wouldn't call them special personally. I think I see where the problem exsists though, you are saying why you think s-ranked weapons are special to you and or some gamers, and I'm trying to say those things don't make it special to me and a lot of other gamers. I am not trying to attack your posts or ignore your point of view, just reaffirm my opinion/view point. The way BOTH of us have posted seems to be in opposition to the other but it need not be so. I'm willing to take responsibility for my part...

As for what I think wouldd make a weapon special, it is vague for a reason. Like I said before, anything that isn't just following a trend or is unique to the game, other wise there is really gonna be no difference between 12* and 15* weapons except for lstats... If I say exactly what I'd like to have it would start a flame war, but I do think there are special weapons in this game, Jogir, Crea weapons, The battle Fan, because they do something special, not "great" but unique in what they do. I'm not saying a crea weapon is better/stronger/more valuable then an S-Ranked weapon, just more special due to it's extra target ability...

Rashiid
Aug 20, 2007, 05:58 AM

you felt it too?

ljkkjlcm9
Aug 20, 2007, 06:43 AM
it's as DJ said, S ranks aren't meant to be "special" per say, it's something the players gave them. They are the natural progression. C ranks are very common, then B rank, then A rank, then S is the rarest and strongest. That's just simply how it goes.

I don't exactly know what these weapons could do to be special, they are after all, just another weapon

THE JACKEL

Sesshomaru71
Aug 20, 2007, 08:19 AM
I think that S rank weapons give the user a sense of pride because they have something special and not easy to obtain.

ThEoRy
Aug 20, 2007, 09:38 AM
you can't spell special without the S!

XDeviousX
Aug 20, 2007, 03:20 PM
On 2007-08-20 04:43, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
it's as DJ said, S ranks aren't meant to be "special" per say, it's something the players gave them. They are the natural progression. C ranks are very common, then B rank, then A rank, then S is the rarest and strongest. That's just simply how it goes.

I don't exactly know what these weapons could do to be special, they are after all, just another weapon

THE JACKEL

These weapons are fine I suppose, they are great weapons, I wouldn't say special though... I hope the 13*+ weapons are more then a stat boost and actually have abilities unique to the game...

DraginHikari
Aug 20, 2007, 03:42 PM
Why would they need that? The majority of weapons in online games only seem to serve the purpose of increasing stats and damage, some might have status effects and work on one enemy better then another (Which we already have in the elemental system) too but for the most part they don't do anything different.

If you people are expecting Berserk or Spirit specials like in PSO they'll come more in the form of PAs which is the main thing I like over PSO weaponary, other then the higher tier weapons most special abilities on PSO either only worked in some situations or didn't work at all (Fire special anyone >>))

I just don't see what kinda of extra abilities you expect.

XDeviousX
Aug 20, 2007, 03:54 PM
On 2007-08-20 13:42, DraginHikari wrote:
Why would they need that? The majority of weapons in online games only seem to serve the purpose of increasing stats and damage, some might have status effects and work on one enemy better then another (Which we already have in the elemental system) too but for the most part they don't do anything different.

If you people are expecting Berserk or Spirit specials like in PSO they'll come more in the form of PAs which is the main thing I like over PSO weaponary, other then the higher tier weapons most special abilities on PSO either only worked in some situations or didn't work at all (Fire special anyone >>))

I just don't see what kinda of extra abilities you expect.

I for one didn't and wouldn't mention PSO, I liked the game, but moved on...

Crea weapons manage to have a special ability, as do Jogir, and Battl Fans. (Single and Twin) It doesn't have to be ultimate power specials. (Although I wouldn't mind if it were...) just something that other weapons don't do/have.

PA's that only work on s ranked weapons would be amazing, as well as any ability that would be functional. A weapon that gave a boost to elemental defense, or a weapon that had a bonus to how often it can crit, or even just visually sweet warping effects when a sword attacked, or a rod that poisoned enemies with a "sicknes aura" when it was equiped.

Those are a few suggestions. I do not pretend to think these things will happen, just hope that they add something to the new rares on AOI especially.

DLShAdOw
Aug 20, 2007, 04:04 PM
I would really like a joke gun that shot pies.

Zorafim
Aug 20, 2007, 04:11 PM
For future updates, when Sega has more content to withhold from us and higher game activity to focus on, it'd make sense for that newer stuff to be hard to get while the older stuff be easier. For now, it makes sense that the boards are hard to get, since they're the only thing keeping us playing the game. If we get the palette of S ranks, what else will we do?
However, for future updates, I hope they re-adjust the drop rates so that it's easier. If we're focused on, say, getting the 11*s, why should they withhold the 10*s from us? Seeing how creas now seem easier to get, it'd make sense to make 10*s easier to get as well.

Niloklives
Aug 20, 2007, 04:21 PM
On 2007-08-19 19:49, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

On 2007-08-19 18:28, NIloklives wrote:

no see, it wasn't one friend, it was about... 5 friends
but, Crea Doubles grinds really well
Deva has silence SE
and Gudda Skella has sleep SE

wow, all of them have something special!

THE JACKEL

show me a pick of a grinded doubs then we'll talk
deva's silence doen't connect often or last ong enough to make it stand out
and sleep is useless on a melee weapon

I'm not impressed

omegapirate2k
Aug 20, 2007, 04:24 PM
On 2007-08-20 03:58, Rashiid wrote:

you felt it too?

Oh yes.

On 2007-08-20 14:11, Zorafim wrote:
However, for future updates, I hope they re-adjust the drop rates so that it's easier. If we're focused on, say, getting the 11*s, why should they withhold the 10*s from us? Seeing how creas now seem easier to get, it'd make sense to make 10*s easier to get as well.

Isn't the expansion supposed to see an increase in S rank synth rates? If so, it's likely the 13-15* items will have similar synth rates that 10-13* have now.

EDIT: And don't the fuka misaki's or daiga misakis (or perhaps both?) have a freeze effect on them?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: omegapirate2k on 2007-08-20 15:11 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: omegapirate2k on 2007-08-20 15:11 ]</font>

XDeviousX
Aug 20, 2007, 08:01 PM
On 2007-08-20 14:24, omegapirate2k wrote:

On 2007-08-20 03:58, Rashiid wrote:

you felt it too?

Oh yes.

On 2007-08-20 14:11, Zorafim wrote:

Isn't the expansion supposed to see an increase in S rank synth rates? If so, it's likely the 13-15* items will have similar synth rates that 10-13* have now.

EDIT: And don't the fuka misaki's or daiga misakis (or perhaps both?) have a freeze effect on them?

There are select S-Ranked weapons that have a special ability, I just figured that S-Ranked weapons might all at least have a minor special ability...

Its not the end of the world if they don't and it doesn't mean they are bad weapons, or I won't be hunting one or two, just I won't be too sad when I don't find one or too excited if I do...

Lonzell
Aug 20, 2007, 08:37 PM
I think S Rank is special because the S in it stands for the word Special. A bay bay <3

Yunfa
Aug 20, 2007, 09:33 PM
soooo lame Lonzell, but u made me laugh so thats a victory in ur book! Why are S - ranks so special? You get bragging rights! Or the pleasure of watching people react in awe---> "OH shitz check out that guy's AGITO REPLICA!!! His Sephiroth!!! WOOT WOOT" or something along those lines

- S rank comedy weapons a plus too, too bad most of the comedy weapons ive seen are all either B ranks or C ranks.

ljkkjlcm9
Aug 20, 2007, 10:18 PM
On 2007-08-20 19:33, Yunfa wrote:
soooo lame Lonzell, but u made me laugh so thats a victory in ur book! Why are S - ranks so special? You get bragging rights! Or the pleasure of watching people react in awe---> "OH shitz check out that guy's AGITO REPLICA!!! His Sephiroth!!! WOOT WOOT" or something along those lines

- S rank comedy weapons a plus too, too bad most of the comedy weapons ive seen are all either B ranks or C ranks.

agito replica is a bad example cause it like, quadruples it's ATP, and with the Ult Sword PA, this combo will probably be the most damaging in the game

THE JACKEL

Yunfa
Aug 21, 2007, 08:12 AM
Agito Replica 4x ur damage??!!! Thats uber!!! *scratches head* wouldnt that make the perfect example for why S ranks are special tho? o_o?

Powder Keg
Aug 21, 2007, 08:14 AM
The appearance and the satisfaction of obtaining it. I don't really care about showing things off to others, as I don't worry about "OMG SOMEONE ELSE HAS WHAT I HAVE NOOOOO!"

ljkkjlcm9
Aug 21, 2007, 08:21 AM
On 2007-08-21 06:12, Yunfa wrote:
Agito Replica 4x ur damage??!!! Thats uber!!! *scratches head* wouldnt that make the perfect example for why S ranks are special tho? o_o?

well I'm not sure exactly what the ATP is at +10
but at 0 it's 300, then at +4 it's 888, so that's almost triple in 4 grinds, so probably even more than quadruple

THE JACKEL

MrFortegunner
Aug 21, 2007, 09:45 PM
People want S ranks so they look cool and so they don't look like noobs. imagine, even if your dumb on a party, or a lvl 60's with lvl 70's, as long as you have an arsenal of S ranks, then you'll never get booted. you'll be looked up to by all the noobs around you. and people will never leave a party with you in it, because they know they're lucky to find a man with s ranks.

omegapirate2k
Aug 21, 2007, 10:34 PM
On 2007-08-21 19:45, MrFortegunner wrote:
People want S ranks so they look cool and so they don't look like noobs. imagine, even if your dumb on a party, or a lvl 60's with lvl 70's, as long as you have an arsenal of S ranks, then you'll never get booted. you'll be looked up to by all the noobs around you. and people will never leave a party with you in it, because they know they're lucky to find a man with s ranks.

Or it could be the other way around if you brag too much about them and everyone just becomes fed up and boots you XD

Ryoki
Aug 22, 2007, 01:39 PM
Some melee S ranks cause status effects. Also, higher weapon grades means higher attack speed.