PDA

View Full Version : Jobs (And getting there)

Ma_Navu
Aug 20, 2007, 04:24 PM
Although this is FKL, I'm gonna see if any sort of help is available here (mainly because I couldn't figure out where else to put this kind of question).

I'm attempting to get a part-time job. I've just finished applying for a position in a "near-by" (half-hour walk, as I have no vehicle) GameStop, but from what I hear, it'll be a miracle to get the job, simply because there are over 180 applicants. My back-up application WOULD have been to Circuit City, but I can't get there on foot due to the excessive distance and traffic. Getting hit by cars in Miami is pretty damn easy when people are always in a rush for no reason whatsoever.

I have to ask my friend about the specifics of his job, as he works in Circuit City as well. If all goes well, I may be able to hitch a ride with him. Otherwise, I need a way to get there reliably. Public buses come to mind at this point.

All this leads to one question: is there a website of sorts to figure out bus routes, bus stops, etc.?

AlexCraig
Aug 20, 2007, 04:29 PM
I think so. But I have never used it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I still walk the whole 3+ miles from my house to the ebay store where I work.

Ma_Navu
Aug 20, 2007, 04:31 PM
Well, what general area do you live in? If it's somewhere in the south, I'd have to ask how you deal with the excessive heat. Otherwise, I think it'd be more tedious than anything to walk to and from work.

AlexCraig
Aug 20, 2007, 04:34 PM
NE Illinois. While we don't have as much heat as where you live (seeing your post in the B4R), it is pretty damn humid here. If it were just heat, I could deal with it, but it is the humidity that gets to you.

Ma_Navu
Aug 20, 2007, 04:39 PM
The humidity in Illinois is similar to the heat of Florida (in my opinion). So the question in my second post now has a purpose: how do you manage to deal with the temperature / humidity / you know what I mean?

AlexCraig
Aug 20, 2007, 04:44 PM
Yeah. I don't really. Initailly, I was going to be getting rides from my friends/coworkers, but lately, they haven't given me any rides http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif If I am lucky, the skies would be cloudy. If not, I go into a Shell station along the way. I leave about an hour and a half early each day. By the time I get to work, I am about half an hour early.

Ma_Navu
Aug 20, 2007, 04:52 PM
Ah, nerts. I thought I'd find a mystical, unusual way of beating the sun for once. =P
The problem with trying to hitch a ride is merely the fact that I only have one friend with a car, but rarely ever goes out with his car (he doesn't pay for his gas, no job, etc.), and I've no clue how my other friend (the one who works at C.City) gets to his job, since I just found out recently that he had gotten it.

If I'm lucky, my other friend will be able to give me a ride if he has a car. If not, I'll have to rely on my application for GameStop. Chances are, I won't get the G.Stop job. >_>
There are other places which I can apply for a job, but they're all fast-food joints. For some reason, I get depressed just thinking about getting a job at one, even though I realize that a job's a job and I have to make money somehow.

NPCMook
Aug 20, 2007, 05:45 PM
Navu, from my experience, you will loathe working for gamestop, they treat their employees like criminals you have to empty your pockets, and pulled them out and make sure another person there verifies what you have done before you can even leave the store. Also if you aren't pressuring and getting people for pre-orders, warranties, and subscriptions don't get to attached to the job =

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Aug 20, 2007, 05:50 PM
Figure out the local buses, grab a schedule from one, and or find out the website that will tell you about the routes.

Use everybody's fave Googlin' to search your city's website, city services, bus routes, endgame.

Ma_Navu
Aug 20, 2007, 06:06 PM
On 2007-08-20 15:45, NPCMook wrote:
Navu, from my experience, you will loathe working for gamestop, they treat their employees like criminals you have to empty your pockets, and pulled them out and make sure another person there verifies what you have done before you can even leave the store. Also if you aren't pressuring and getting people for pre-orders, warranties, and subscriptions don't get to attached to the job =

All that's assuming that I get the job in the first place. =P

If I somehow get the job, I'll be wary of what you said. I hope not all GameStops are like that, but if what you said is true, I'll have to become the best damn salesman I can be. Otherwise, my fate lies in McDonalds. Or just being poor. Either way, it'll suck beyond all belief.

Haya - I just finished trying that out. Apparently, the only bus that leads to Circuit City is several miles away from home. However, the route is so damn short, I might as well hoof it the entire way. Ah, Hialeah, you had to be so damn spaced out, huh? No wonder there's so much traffic, no one can get anywhere without using a vehicle!

NPCMook
Aug 20, 2007, 07:06 PM
unfortunately they do Navu, your whole evaluation is based on how many pre-orders and such you pushed on people. Gotta love corporate owned businesses, at least they do treat you somewhat good, Medical insurance after your first 30 days, 15% discount at stores(with your Edge card thats a 25% discount on used items), and a 25% discount at all barnes and Nobles book stores, but with how much they demand and the rules, it can almost seem not worth it =

Ma_Navu
Aug 20, 2007, 08:17 PM
Like I said, if I get the job, I better be the best damn salesman possible. No point in getting a job if I'm gonna half-ass it. But if they demand more than I can offer, I'll have to start flippin' burgers.

Meyfei
Aug 21, 2007, 09:56 AM
flipin burngers in intense heat... 50% of your first 10 paychecks probly go to the new air condition, to prevent you from being fried lol http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Scejntjynahl
Aug 21, 2007, 10:07 AM
Use your thumb.

amtalx
Aug 21, 2007, 10:17 AM
Working retail always sucks. Pushing warranties and useless accessories is part of the job.

As far as transportation. Find out if you can borrow someones bike. You can cover a couple miles on a bike very quickly. That should make the trip to the bus station easy (or just straight to CC). Buses (around here anyway) have bike racks on the front so getting it around will be easy. If you can't get a bike now, I would just get one after your first paycheck. You don't need anything fancy so it shouldn't be too expensive.