PDA

View Full Version : IS it possible to make more money trading that playing?

fiCast
Aug 22, 2007, 07:45 AM
I'm gettting a little sick of seabed lab recovery, and I had some luck a while ago buying and selling things like Nanoresin.

Now that I have a good wedge behind me (just over 12mil), I am thinking that I might try my hand buying and selling a and s-rank weapons and other sort-after items.

Anyone got any tips for me and other players in a similer situation?

I'm on 360 by the way...

amtalx
Aug 22, 2007, 08:17 AM
You have enough capital to do it, but it's not going to make you too much money. You are basically banking on buying an under priced item and selling it for a profit. Unless you can find someone that left a 0 off of a 9* armor, your profit margin will be pretty small.

AC9breaker
Aug 22, 2007, 08:18 AM
Question, how much do B+10,B+9,B+8 and A+10,A+9,A+8 Grinders go for on 360 server? If the price is right you could make good money with those. Its not some incredible money machine as it relies on few things but its quite dependable and has proven to be quite plentiful, for me that is. I'm on PC/PS2 servers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AC9breaker on 2007-08-22 06:23 ]</font>

fiCast
Aug 22, 2007, 08:28 AM
arh yes, i've heard of people buying grinder A boards and bases and selling the higher ones for profit. I guess it's down to luck tho.

How much does a A + 10 go for?

Rashiid
Aug 22, 2007, 08:48 AM
A+10 is 135k (last time i checked)

AC9breaker
Aug 22, 2007, 09:05 AM
Well, the standard thats been set is 200-300k on pc/ps2 servers. +9 go anywhere from 40-90k I let my +8 go for 4-9k.

I would recommend pricing +7 at 2k and +6 at 1k.

Basically, people who sell grinders make money only from +8 +9 and +10. Those are the money makes. You use +6 and +7 to recoup some of your manufacturing fees. +5 and down, don't bother listing them, or if you do, just list 1 stack of 99 each. I would usually just NPC them. To get the most bang out of your buck, only make grinders on 3 star luck day. A rank grinders in particular have a lower chance of getting +10 so you should only try getting some on 3 star luck day. I usually buy 11 stacks of Grinder bases and turn them all into grinders, I usually get at least 1 batch of +10 Its also a pretty arduous process and takes up quite a bit of time making all those grinders.

I don't know about the 360 version, I assume since you have a larger user base you could probably charge more for +7 and +6 and use +5 and +4 to break even. It basically all about working the market. You gotta keep an eye on your competitors and price accordingly. People tend to overprice grinders on PC/ps2 server so there is room to under sell them and still net a tidy profit in the process.

There are also a bunch of tricks and tips that I have that would rather not divulge in public discussion as I wouldn't want people stealing my ideas. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

but really, its all about working the market and keeping an eye on your competitors. Like they say, make your money work for you. But ironically, Its quite a bit of work. At least though your not running the same mission over and over, and I kind of enjoy this game of supply and demand. I'm sure it would be much more fun on the 360 servers with a larger population to take advantage of provide an exceptional service at an exceptional price.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 22, 2007, 09:08 AM
It's a decent way to make money if you're patient. Once I bought a Riflic+10 for 150k and resold it for 700k. Bought a Falcon+9 for 350k, grinded it one more time, resold it for 650k. Bought a 34% ice Ank Pikor for 768k, resold for 1mill.

Mr_Confused
Aug 22, 2007, 10:36 AM
ive bought multiple things and then sold them for profit, i found a lightning caliburn for 120k and sold it for 150k i found a fire muktrand for 125k sold it for 185k. There are plenty of shops that sell stuff for cheap, i know a hot item is phantoms i bought one for 200k and then sold it for 300k an hour later.

Sekani
Aug 22, 2007, 10:50 AM
People like you sicken me. I sell things at fair (not insanely low) prices so certain people can get what they need without being price gouged by greedy bastards like you all.

Before anyone points out the obvious, I am very aware that there is nothing technically wrong with this practice, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it.

JAFO22000
Aug 22, 2007, 11:07 AM
On 2007-08-22 08:50, Sekani wrote:
People like you sicken me. I sell things at fair (not insanely low) prices so certain people can get what they need without being price gouged by greedy bastards like you all.

Before anyone points out the obvious, I am very aware that there is nothing technically wrong with this practice, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it.

Yes, it does take a "me, me, me!" greedy bastard to spend time doing stuff like this, and it does have an adverse effect on the overall economy.

These guys are the convenience stores of PSU. They buy from suppliers (such as Sekani) for cheap, then turn around and make a huge profit from those who are too lazy to shop around. Luckily, this practice will lose it's profitablility with the new shop search function in AoI.

I also like to sell items I don't need/no longer use for cheap prices to try help out someone who may be a lower level or not have as much meseta. Unfortunately, I hear too many people in PuG's talking about how "stupid" people are for putting item "x" in their shop for price "y", which they then purchased and put in THEIR shop for the "correct price" of "y+600,000 meseta".

Sekani
Aug 22, 2007, 11:13 AM
Unfortunately I'm starting to think that the new price search will only exacerbate this problem. Any vulcaline priced lower than 10,000 meseta will be snatched up by resellers, and new shopkeepers will think that 10,000 is the "correct" price because it's the cheapest one they see.

This is what's happening already, and that's WITHOUT the help of a search feature. Imagine what the result will be if we make these bastards' job easier....

JAFO22000
Aug 22, 2007, 11:27 AM
On 2007-08-22 09:13, Sekani wrote:
Unfortunately I'm starting to think that the new price search will only exacerbate this problem. Any vulcaline priced lower than 10,000 meseta will be snatched up by resellers, and new shopkeepers will think that 10,000 is the "correct" price because it's the cheapest one they see.

This is what's happening already, and that's WITHOUT the help of a search feature. Imagine what the result will be if we make these bastards' job easier....

I never thought of it that way. Hopefully though (not likely, but hopefully!) these people are few and far between, thus making it impossible for them to buy out EVERYTHING that is low priced....

I guess the true culprit is ignorance. If people only knew how much you could buy that stuff in the NPC shop....

On a sunnier note, I do search for ortaresins quite often and have seen a LOT of the same shops which always show up on my search list. These shops are trying to sell over NPC shops, so I suppose it's good that these douche's resins aren't selling (unless they ARE selling, but they just restock before I perform another search...).

Maybe AoI should show the NPC price of applicable items when performing a search? This way, maybe people will say "Hey, I don't need to buy that Ortaresins for 10,000 from this asshat because it's in the NPC shop for only 7500...

amtalx
Aug 22, 2007, 11:34 AM
If were ST I would lay down the law about this kind of crap. If you put something in your shop at NPC price. or NPC price -1. you will automatically get a "You're a dick. Thanks, ST." mail in you inbox. If you set anything above the NPC price...INSTA-BAN!!

.......if I were ST http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Mr_Confused
Aug 22, 2007, 11:49 AM
its not like im selling things for insane prices either. A muktrand is a 9* weapon and i sold it for 20k more than you can buy a 8* in a NPC shop. And my caliburn was the same way, i actually sold it for less than an 8* in an NPC shop. And the phantom i just put at what i thought was the normal price.

JAFO22000
Aug 22, 2007, 12:03 PM
On 2007-08-22 09:49, Mr_Confused wrote:
its not like im selling things for insane prices either. A muktrand is a 9* weapon and i sold it for 20k more than you can buy a 8* in a NPC shop. And my caliburn was the same way, i actually sold it for less than an 8* in an NPC shop. And the phantom i just put at what i thought was the normal price.

It's not an issue with how much profit you are making, rather that you are making profit at all. These actions tend to make the sellers who want to help out the community unable to price their weapons low because "some douche is just going to buy it, then try to make a profit off of it in their shop".

How do you know that the people who bought the very same weapons you just made a profit from didn't turn around and do the EXACT SAME THING?!?!?! I suppose you don't care though....

ljkkjlcm9
Aug 22, 2007, 12:11 PM
actually the whole reason photons increased in price on PC is because a select number of people realized they weren't sold in NPC stores, and to run around and buy them all, then make their shop the only one with them at really high prices. Then everyone thought that was standard, and now... it IS standard.

THE JACKEL

JAFO22000
Aug 22, 2007, 01:14 PM
On 2007-08-22 10:11, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
actually the whole reason photons increased in price on PC is because a select number of people realized they weren't sold in NPC stores, and to run around and buy them all, then make their shop the only one with them at really high prices. Then everyone thought that was standard, and now... it IS standard.

THE JACKEL

Good point. This is an example of what could conceivably happen with any item, NPC or not.

Remember a few years back when gas prices went above $2.00/gallon and people were up in arms about it? I now get happy if I see gas for $2.75/gallon because I was "used" to paying over $3.00/gallon. See, they made us forget that $2.00 is a lot for a gallon of gas by gouging us at $4+/gallon, then ebbing the cost a bit so we're actually "thankful" to pay $2.75/gallon.

Mr_Confused
Aug 22, 2007, 01:26 PM
At least i dont go around and buy things just to sell for profit, all of those things i had i bought when i was a fortefighter and sold them when i switched back to protranser. The only thing i ever bought and sold just for profit was that phantom.

Jarek
Aug 22, 2007, 01:36 PM
On 2007-08-22 08:50, Sekani wrote:

Agreed.
If I knew someone was repeatedly buying my things just to resell for higher I would either:
1. Put item up for sale, find something to pass the time for a bit, and blacklist them when they show up.
2. Go to their room until I catch them, and blacklist them there.

Nothing they can do about it then. XD
and if I was feeling really obnoxious, I'd put something in my ad about exactly how cheap said item is no matter what!

WOOD7770
Aug 22, 2007, 01:57 PM
On 2007-08-22 09:13, Sekani wrote:

I will sell all the vulcaline you can buy for 9500!

JAFO22000
Aug 22, 2007, 02:00 PM
On 2007-08-22 11:26, Mr_Confused wrote:
At least i dont go around and buy things just to sell for profit, all of those things i had i bought when i was a fortefighter and sold them when i switched back to protranser. The only thing i ever bought and sold just for profit was that phantom.

Can't PT use A rank spears and an A rank swords? Why would you sell them just because you switched from FF to PT?

HaydenX
Aug 22, 2007, 02:07 PM
I've bought and resold things at higher prices. There was one guy today who I found was selling ray-photons for 200 each, I bought all 12 of them instantly. I once bought out all of the other shops' c+9 grinders that sold for under 8k, and started selling them for 15k (since everything above 8k from everyone else at that time was going for 20k). I made a pretty substantial profit that way. Now, c+9 go for 9k or less, so I'm not gonna get to do that again. I did the same thing for soldonium. A bunch of people were selling them for 700, and I bought them and sold them for 785 each. Not that much profit, but it was easy. The more money you put into it, the more money you'll get out.

Mr_Confused
Aug 22, 2007, 02:55 PM
I sold them because i needed 100+ more atp just to use them and it was useless for me to keep them in storage so i sold them.

Wallin
Aug 22, 2007, 06:53 PM
The first people to log in after AoI comes out will totally own the market. Every single "fair priced" item, all the sales, the decent rares and the holiday/event items, they'll all be gone within the first 10 minutes that the server comes up, it won't even take 2 minutes for the photons to be bought out. The first week will be nothing but a frenzy of fluctuating waves of either insanely expensive items when the supplies run low, or insanely cheap items for people trying to make fast cash on price competition. I can't even begin to guess the ratio of people who will actually use the items they buy instead of reselling them so they can make even more money on the better rares.

HaydenX
Aug 22, 2007, 06:57 PM
Oooh...It's gonna be like a stock market crash and every company going public at the same time. It's going to be a high frequency parbola market.

BULL--BEAR--BULL--BEAR--BULL--BEAR...Oh I'm so confused.. <(^_^)> yay! <(^_^)>

Wallin
Aug 22, 2007, 07:02 PM
Actually the first people who can get on the servers are more than welcome to the shops... it's just as easy to predict how stable the game will be that day, just as well as the first day the servers were up and people couldn't even connect to the billing. Maybe I'll wait a week before playing and just watch YouTube videos of other people playing in the new areas and then getting disconnected... LOL

fiCast
Aug 23, 2007, 04:30 AM
Wallin - "it won't even take 2 minutes for the photons to be bought out. "

Can you explain this further? Will there be items with limited stock in NPC Shops?

HaydenX
Aug 23, 2007, 10:36 AM
On 2007-08-23 02:30, fiCast wrote:
Wallin - "it won't even take 2 minutes for the photons to be bought out. "

Can you explain this further? Will there be items with limited stock in NPC Shops?

He's talking about Photons in the Player Shops. Megi, Di, Ray, Zon, Ban, Gra.

Because it's been said that the overall synth percentage is going up in AOI, People will be synthing more items, and with an increase in demand, without an increase in supply, you are going to see expensive photons and sold-out photons...oh and neutral weapons.

fiCast
Aug 23, 2007, 11:17 AM
arh i see. so notthing to do with new items then... just a price increse for the current photons?

Powder Keg
Aug 23, 2007, 11:23 AM
You can make a ton of money through your player shop.., especially if you have a 100 PM of a certain type... much more than just doing runs. The only way doing runs can pay you off is if you find a rare item that you won't use and can sell.

JAFO22000
Aug 23, 2007, 11:35 AM
On 2007-08-23 09:23, Artea wrote:
The only way doing runs can pay you off is if you find a rare item that you won't use and can sell.

Or you could, I don't know, attempt to get an "S" rank on the missions you do run. That pays pretty well. It adds up a lot more quickly than having some item sit in your shop for weeks on end....