PDA

View Full Version : PSU-PC/PS2: Creating an NPC Priced Shop to help stop overpri

Zoamel_Gustav
Aug 22, 2007, 10:17 PM
To help the economy, I am going to try to create an NPC priced shop.

The long explanation is this:

Some time next week, I will try to create an alt with a shop named "The NPC Price Fairy". I will then buy full stacks of commonly overpriced items from the NPC shops and place them in this shop at NPC price.

I do not want these items bought. If bought, I will restock them using the NPC shops. This shop will not make me any meseta. In fact, any restocking will cost me time. What this shop would do is show other players the NPC prices of items. As long as this shop stays stocked, and shows up on shop searches, overpriced items will stop being bought.

That is what I'm planning to try. Before I try this, I would like to hear some opinions on this plan.

CelestialBlade
Aug 22, 2007, 10:22 PM
It won't stop overpricing, I'll be honest with you. As long as people think they can actually get 50k per Elemental Photon, they will continue to try and screw over everyone else. Not saying your idea doesn't have merit or isn't worth a shot, but it won't change much the way I see it. Some people, in my experience, are selfish/uninformed and most enjoy living under this blanket of ignorance just fine. No incentive for them to come out from under it.

360NyTeMaRe
Aug 22, 2007, 10:23 PM
This is a pretty good idea, be sure to include in the shop ad about how cheap the NPC prices are (at least compared to overpriced items) this way they finally realize their mistake.

Zorafim
Aug 22, 2007, 10:29 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/items/psu/

I doubt your efforts will cause any fruit. You are simply one shop in thousands. With the way the shop function works at the moment, your voice will be overpowered by the common player. What needs to be changed is not the player mentality, but rather the way shopping works. Once this is changed, other changes will follow.

Skids
Aug 22, 2007, 10:29 PM
Its a noble idea but i'm not sure how well it will work. You may change a few but not the whole system. I think the won't change till aoi shop search engine. The only flaw i see is people not caring or not ready your shop discription and buying the items regardless. With only way to prevent is to overprice the item but still show actually price.

Like par ebon for example isi 4000 but have it 900004000 to show the price but preventing people from buying it. But that contradict the purpose in a sense. With whataever route you go Zel I hope it works.

BanF
Aug 22, 2007, 10:38 PM
How are you going to ensure the shop will appear not only in every search, but also pretty much at the top? These two conditions will need to be met in order for the shop to actually work as intended.

Zoamel_Gustav
Aug 22, 2007, 10:47 PM
On 2007-08-22 20:29, Zorafim wrote:
You are simply one shop in thousands. With the way the shop function works at the moment, your voice will be overpowered by the common player.

Hopefully, I can lead by example. I'm gonna try to convince other people to help. AoI should fix how shop searches work.

On 2007-08-22 20:29, Skids wrote:
You may change a few but not the whole system. I think the won't change till aoi shop search engine. The only flaw i see is people not caring or not ready your shop description and buying the items regardless.

I'm not too worried about the items getting bought. I can check and restock the shop twice a day. If someone buys 99 par ebon for 4k each, then that's just more meseta turned into synth mats.

Arika
Aug 22, 2007, 10:49 PM
when AoI price searcg system come, I m sure everything will be fine

Dj_SkyEpic
Aug 22, 2007, 10:55 PM
You wouldn't have to worry about this once comes AoI, but it's a fair idea.

desturel
Aug 23, 2007, 11:56 AM
On 2007-08-22 20:55, Dj_SkyEpic wrote:
You wouldn't have to worry about this once comes AoI

I keep hearing people say that, but I don't see it happening.

Take Ortaresin as an example. If you search on ortaresin in player shops, you may find 10 shops selling it and all 10 of them selling it for over NPC. How is a price search going to fix that? If all 10 shops are over NPC, most people will just buy from the cheapest shop in the list. Say, the guy selling the ortaresin for 8000 meseta instead of 10000 meseta.

People are still getting ripped off, just ripped off for 500 meseta instead of 2500 meseta.

Also price search makes it easier for price fixing items that aren't in NPC shop. "Oh, I want to sell my rappy feathers for 50k, but I see this shop has them up for 5k. I'll buy all of his 5k feathers and sell his and mine for 50k."

Horray for price fixing!!! Ray photons for 10k each on the Xbox servers is great. Now we will match up with the PC servers.

desturel
Aug 23, 2007, 11:56 AM
yay, double post

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: desturel on 2007-08-23 10:22 ]</font>

60Hz
Aug 23, 2007, 12:09 PM
On 2007-08-23 09:56, desturel wrote:

On 2007-08-22 20:55, Dj_SkyEpic wrote:
You wouldn't have to worry about this once comes AoI

I keep hearing people say that, but I don't see it happening.

Take Ortaresin as an example. If you search on ortaresin in player shops, you may find 10 shops selling it and all 10 of them selling it for over NPC. How is a price search going to fix that? If all 10 shops are over NPC, most people will just buy from the cheapest shop in the list. Say, the guy selling the ortaresin for 8000 meseta instead of 10000 meseta.

People are still getting ripped off, just ripped off for 500 meseta instead of 2500 meseta.

Also price search makes it easier for price fixing items that aren't in NPC shop. "Oh, I want to sell my rappy feathers for 50k, but I see this shop has them up for 5k. I'll buy all of his 5k feathers and sell his and mine for 50k."

Horray for price fixing!!! Ray photons for 10k each on the Xbox servers is great. Now we will match up with the PC servers.

Well it'll speed up my search, for example now if i have to synth something i dont even bother checking the user shops, its too much hassle, i just by directly from npc... soon at least i can put a search in, put a maximum i'm willing to pay, then see if any shows up... So the one soul who does decide to sell something under npc is going to get my business, while before he wasn't and his item would have just sat there forever...

So yes it does help... Plus it makes it easy to set your own prices if you can just put a search in and find the minimum everyone is charging and act accordingly..

So i dont see how a search function will do any harm except for those who prey on the shoppers ignorance...

JAFO22000
Aug 23, 2007, 12:15 PM
On 2007-08-23 09:56, desturel wrote:
...If all 10 shops are over NPC, most people will just buy from the cheapest shop in the list. Say, the guy selling the ortaresin for 8000 meseta instead of 10000 meseta....

Really? If all of the shops price their Ortaresin over NPC, I first sigh and shake my head, then send a mail to my friend about how player shops suck, then I go buy my Ortaresin from the NPC.

For the OP, I think it's a great idea, but it won't stop the overpricing.

It WILL give people like me a price guidline to go by. For example, I may be searching for something like Otraresins. I know these are 7500 in NPC, as I buy them frequently. Now, say I'm in someone's shop and I see Chicotite for 2500 meseta. One of my friends has been looking for some Chicotite for a synth. Off of the top of my head, I don't know how much Chicotite is sold for in the NPC, but I don't want to pass up on a potential good deal.

In the past, I have returned to my room, then had to go to the GC 2nd floor synth shop to check the price. It'd be MUCH easier if someone had a shop like this, as I could just go to this shop to see what the NPC price is and decide if 2500 for Chicotite is a good price.

HaydenX
Aug 23, 2007, 12:16 PM
Bravo to trying.

I would like to see a system implemented where everyone but the shop owner can leave messages in a shop.

It could save the last 5 messages.

It could be like...

On 8/23/2007 Funky.GUN wrote:
Are you kidding me? Par Ebon only costs 4000 in the NPC shop. Why would you try to sell it for 6000?

Or

On 8/20/2007 Drala wrote:
I'm so happy that you were willing to lower your price on that Deathmaker. He dropped it from 325k to 320k for me. Good Seller.

Tell me what you think.

DraginHikari
Aug 23, 2007, 12:30 PM
Here the thing with AOI that will work in many ways. People will search for items by a price range they're willing to pay and they'll be able to see what the prices are without entering a shop, as a result those that price there products much lower, are going to be the ones to get the business, evenually it will make it harder because people will begin to ignore people charging x2-x10 the value on the NPC shops.

Evenually this forced a decrease in price because if people really want to sell there stuff and make Meseta there going to have to match or lower whatever price is being set or else people are just going to begin to ignore it. The problem is right now, when your shop searching you get 20 random shops with no reference to what it is your looking for and you run into people who trap you into the system by putting well wanted items at 99999999 just to draw you into the shop.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DraginHikari on 2007-08-23 10:32 ]</font>

HaydenX
Aug 23, 2007, 12:33 PM
On 2007-08-23 10:30, DraginHikari wrote:
Here the thing with AOI that will work in many ways. People will search for items by a price range they're willing to pay and they'll be able to see what the prices are without entering a shop, as a result those that price there products much lower, are going to be the ones to get the business, evenually it will make it hardered because people will begin to ignore people charing x2-x10 the value on the NPC shops.

Evenually this forced a decrease in price because if people really want to sell there stuff and make Meseta there going to have to match or lower whatever price is being set or else people are just going to begin to ignore it. It's basically a ecomanic view point. The problem is right now, when your shop searching you get 20 random shops with no reference to what it is your looking for and you run into people who trap you into the system by putting well wanted items at 99999999 just to draw you into the shop.

The problem is that the 99999999 thing works. Back when I was searching for vulcaline a couple of days ago, I found that the person had 9'ed the vulcaline, but had all of the elementaly photons for really cheap.

DraginHikari
Aug 23, 2007, 12:34 PM
On 2007-08-23 10:33, HaydenX wrote:

The problem is that the 99999999 thing works. Back when I was searching for vulcaline a couple of days ago, I found that the person had 9'ed the vulcaline, but had all of the elementaly photons for really cheap.

That's why we need to be able to do price searches and see what the prices are before entering shops.

Zoamel_Gustav
Aug 23, 2007, 02:54 PM
I'll have the shop up soon. The inventory will be:

99 Slaterian 2500
99 Teranite 2500
99 Stelnium 2500
99 Chicotite 2500
99 Cyral 2500

99 Kerseline 4000
99 Vestaline 6000
99 Vulcaline 8000

99 Nanocarbon 2500
99 Metacarbon 2500
99 Ortacarbon 2500

99 Nanoresin 7500
99 Metaresin 7500
99 Ortaresin 7500

99 Par Ebon 4000
99 Mot Ebon 4000
99 Neu Ebon 4000

What else should I stock?

amtalx
Aug 23, 2007, 02:58 PM
I vote yes. Even if it doesn't change anything, its a step in the right direction.

Niloklives
Aug 23, 2007, 02:58 PM
if it's 99 at max, it may have been storage. what gets me is when they set 1 vulcaline at 99,999,999 and then sell OTHER stuff...none of it at a reasonable price

ShineOnline
Aug 23, 2007, 03:09 PM
It'd be nice to have the NPC shops show up in the search result list. If they're the cheapest, I'm buyin'.

PALRAPPYS
Aug 23, 2007, 03:39 PM
Why stock up at 99? I say do it at 10, 20, or 30. But 99? Haha tha's expensive. Unless you have tons of money. You must be on PC right?

Kylie
Aug 23, 2007, 03:44 PM
On 2007-08-22 20:22, Typheros wrote:
It won't stop overpricing, I'll be honest with you. As long as people think they can actually get 50k per Elemental Photon, they will continue to try and screw over everyone else. Not saying your idea doesn't have merit or isn't worth a shot, but it won't change much the way I see it. Some people, in my experience, are selfish/uninformed and most enjoy living under this blanket of ignorance just fine. No incentive for them to come out from under it.

I agree. Your intentions are lovely, but any effort is really a waste. The best thing for the economy will be the shop system that the expansion brings. Not only will your shop not show what things are priced for, when searched for, the only people that would be buying NPC items from shops (I would be surprised otherwise) would be new people... Besides, fixing the economy your way would require collective effort from several people, not just yourself.

chibiLegolas
Aug 23, 2007, 04:16 PM
I just printed out the npc price list from this forum and always have it handy whenever I go shopping. Guess not everyone does so. But this idea has good heart behind it. If this helps lazy folks without printouts or the hassle to travel to npc shops, then why not make this store? I'm not sure if it'll help the economy of overpriced goods, but if you're willing to give up a character slot for it, I can't see it hurting anything...
Best of luck to you.

chibiLegolas
Aug 23, 2007, 04:22 PM
I just printed out the npc price list from this forum and always have it handy whenever I go shopping. Guess not everyone does so. But this idea has good heart behind it. If this helps lazy folks without printouts or the hassle to travel to npc shops, then why not make this store? I'm not sure if it'll help the economy of overpriced goods, but if you're willing to give up a character slot for it, I can't see it hurting anything...
Best of luck to you.

chibiLegolas
Aug 23, 2007, 04:28 PM
Best of luck to you.

Mystil
Aug 23, 2007, 08:45 PM
On 2007-08-23 12:54, Zoamel_Gustav wrote:

99 Slaterian 2500
99 Teranite 2500
99 Stelnium 2500
99 Chicotite 2500
99 Cyral 2500

99 Kerseline 4000
99 Vestaline 6000
99 Vulcaline 8000

99 Nanocarbon 2500
99 Metacarbon 2500
99 Ortacarbon 2500

99 Nanoresin 7500
99 Metaresin 7500
99 Ortaresin 7500

99 Par Ebon 4000
99 Mot Ebon 4000
99 Neu Ebon 4000

...People ARE going to buy from that shop, but think ahead a little more before you implement this.

Those items(you will not be able to sell the 7 star items.) will sell very fast. You sure you're going to be able to keep that up?

Wallin
Aug 23, 2007, 10:35 PM
I think most player shops are overpriced not because they don't know what sells in stores, but because they really don't care enough to look up prices to begin with. I doubt seeing a store that would be an example wouldn't motivate them to get off their butts and adjust their own prices. Your store might help those people that do care and don't realize what sells in stores, but you'll be limited to 32 items out of just the 55 synthesis items they sell in shops, so I don't know how worthwhile this will be.

If you have the extra 15,000 to open a shop and an extra slot, then by all means, go for it, but I wouldn't put much effort or expectations into it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Zoamel_Gustav
Aug 24, 2007, 12:32 PM
The shop is now open. The shop is called "The NPC Price Shop". I was going to wait a week, but I might as well start now.

Inventory is 99 of every 7* metal, 7*-9* ore, all carbons, all resin and all ebons. I decided not to sell mates, rides, atomisers or traps because the lobby NPCs are unavoidable. I decided not to stock 4* metals, 1*-6* ore, silicas, berrys, acids or ashs due to shop space and cost. The start up costs set me back quite a bit.

If I can afford to later, I may double stock the ortas or ebons. Let's see how the grand opening goes.

Zorafim
Aug 24, 2007, 12:41 PM
Why do people use shops as storage? They can hold 99 items in their PM, 99 in their common storage, and 99 of them on their character. That's nearly 300 copies of an item, without having to selfishly bother all the rest of the community.
As well as that, the PM can carry between 300 and 500 item types. Why would the measly 30 item limit help that at all?

Ah, the sooner this shop update comes, the better.

stukasa
Aug 24, 2007, 03:21 PM
On 2007-08-24 10:41, Zorafim wrote:
Why do people use shops as storage? They can hold 99 items in their PM, 99 in their common storage, and 99 of them on their character. That's nearly 300 copies of an item, without having to selfishly bother all the rest of the community.
Not to mention they can easily visit the colony shop and have their extra stuff gift-wrapped. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

OldCoot
Aug 24, 2007, 05:43 PM
On 2007-08-23 12:54, Zoamel_Gustav wrote:

99 Slaterian 2500
99 Teranite 2500
99 Stelnium 2500
99 Chicotite 2500
99 Cyral 2500

99 Kerseline 4000
99 Vestaline 6000
99 Vulcaline 8000

99 Nanocarbon 2500
99 Metacarbon 2500
99 Ortacarbon 2500

99 Nanoresin 7500
99 Metaresin 7500
99 Ortaresin 7500

99 Par Ebon 4000
99 Mot Ebon 4000
99 Neu Ebon 4000

I think you have a wonderful idea. I get a laugh about this though being I would have to put the signs out saying, "Will heal for meseta, " to do something like this. If I calculated this correctly 4,385,700. I think I am rich if I have 800k these days. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I am on the 360 though.

Thankfully with the expansion is coming.

Cypher_9
Aug 24, 2007, 09:20 PM
Every little bit helps, I am tired of wasting my time going to shops with Par Ebon in the 100k range.. Its sad to see that the many has not realized that the NPC is out doing them in pricing.. XD Good valiant effort.. least it would save most the trip of going to an actual NPC store..

Zoamel_Gustav
Aug 25, 2007, 01:20 PM
It's been 24 hour, and the shop is doing okay. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif The visitors log is full. Last I checked, the shop shows up on every search for ebons or resins. It shows up for most searches of carbons or vulcaline.

The ad reads something like:
Don't buy or sell at over the NPC Price. Don't use shops for storage. Gift wrap.

I'm looking for people to donate ad space. If you have a shop ad your not using, could you please write something like:
NPCs sell Slaterian, Teranite, Stelnium, Chicotite, and Cyral for 2500 meseta.
Thanks for everyone's support and opinions.