PDA

View Full Version : AotI: The new trailer music, replaces the old title theme?

RufuSwho
Aug 23, 2007, 05:14 PM
Will the expansion be coming as a seperate disc to buy?

If so, then will the new trailer that is posted at PSU home going to replace the old one during the loading screen.

I hope so. The new music is a drastic improvement in coolness. Makes me want to go kick some butt.

The old title screen song would have a hard time motivating anything other than a tea party.

--
Mod edit: not a guide!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2007-08-24 18:47 ]</font>

Zorafim
Aug 23, 2007, 05:31 PM
I agree. There's nothing like an improvement in coolness. And this would be nothing like an improvement in coolness.

Anduril
Aug 23, 2007, 05:41 PM
I'm not a big fan of the new version of the song. It really takes me out of it since I'm used to my RPGs having more epic sounding themes (even if it is just a bunch of incoherent babble that has little or nothing to do with the game). And for PC and PS2 the expansion is on a separate disc, while on 360 it is a download of of the marketplace.

D1ABOLIK
Aug 24, 2007, 02:19 AM
On 2007-08-23 15:41, Anduril wrote:
I'm not a big fan of the new version of the song. It really takes me out of it since I'm used to my RPGs having more epic sounding themes (even if it is just a bunch of incoherent babble that has little or nothing to do with the game). And for PC and PS2 the expansion is on a separate disc, while on 360 it is a download of of the marketplace.

Im with Anduril.Actually i despise the new music and only want the original music.I like the epic slow than gets intense sort of japanese music.Never been a fan of rock.Actually just hate guitars....and the guys voice that sings the remix.

________
TY250 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_TY250)

Ffuzzy-Logik
Aug 24, 2007, 02:37 AM
I sure hope so.

I'll take crappy rock over fruity J-Pop any day.

Arika
Aug 24, 2007, 03:12 AM
I want more epic song like PSO

Mayu
Aug 24, 2007, 03:16 AM
listen to the music on your ipod or w/e you have

on you computer http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Makojin
Aug 24, 2007, 03:22 AM
Personally I find that it fits the tone of the game, especially when I think back to Phantasy Star 4 and how that game's theme was more technoish. The whole Phantasy Star series as a whole is a bit unusual when it comes to RPGs. Still nowadays not many take place in futuristic settings, and most of them don't have as simple and direct control as this.

The change in music pretty much reflects the change in the game's mood... as it seems that your battle isn't just against one enemy anymore and you're caught up in having to find out what's the truth and what's not. It may specifically play off the relationship between Laia and Ethan, how she views him at the start of the episode and how her feelings change as time goes by, from her prejudiced sentiment to understanding his motivations.

Kylie
Aug 24, 2007, 10:14 AM
The new theme is better than the "old" one, but only because the old one is really terrible. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif The new one isn't as bad, but it's not exactly something I would want to turn all the way up and rock out to...

RufuSwho
Aug 24, 2007, 10:32 AM
hahaha im loving these posts, music will always be in the ear of the beholder, hmmm ; )

I would definitely turn up the new theme and rock out to it!
(already have) dork points +10, woot

gundam0079
Aug 24, 2007, 10:54 AM
i like the new one much much bettr than the old one. gives it fresh new sound and look.

Zorafim
Aug 24, 2007, 12:17 PM
On 2007-08-24 08:32, RufuSwho wrote:
hahaha im loving these posts, music will always be in the ear of the beholder, hmmm ; )

That's like saying a child's scrambling on a paper is prettier to look at than a masterpiece from an artist who has painted since he was born. Believe it or not, some music is better than others, and some is just junk.

I find this new theme worse than the original, simply because it isn't as musical. The only chord progressions it has were the best sounding ones from the first song, and seeing how bad the first song was, that's really not good.

Ah, can't we have something artistic as a theme song?

PJ
Aug 24, 2007, 01:21 PM
On 2007-08-24 10:17, Zorafim wrote:
Believe it or not, some music is better than others, and some is just junk.

Which this song is not.

KTani
Aug 24, 2007, 01:34 PM
I have both themes on my iPod. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif But I like the older games' music better, they seemed to fit the themes more.

Raven5_1
Aug 24, 2007, 01:46 PM
i like the new theme, to me its actually a logical continuation, first theme was more of an exploration into a new world a new dawn of adventure and the new theme is a more darker more on the action side of things

MushiKuro
Aug 24, 2007, 02:55 PM
i say we can start again, we are on the same Ship!
Hahaha, the PSU theme it's very cool, but the new one it's cool to >.>'', but i think we are going to use the new PSU theme.

See ya!

X.X

Inazuma
Aug 24, 2007, 03:02 PM
i much prefer the new remix ver over the original. however, i wish they were in japanese. it feels weird to have a full english song in a japanese game. also, i dont like singing songs in english.

EspioKaos
Aug 24, 2007, 03:05 PM
That's like saying a child's scrambling on a paper is prettier to look at than a masterpiece from an artist who has painted since he was born. Believe it or not, some music is better than others, and some is just junk.

Believe it or not, other people are entitled to their own opinion. Just because you don't think something is good doesn't mean that everyone else has to think the same way.

Zorafim
Aug 24, 2007, 08:32 PM
On 2007-08-24 11:21, PJ wrote:

Believe it or not, some music is better than others, and some is just junk.

Which this song is not.

I never said it was. I was thinking it really loudly, but I never said it was. I was more considering most the stuff I hear on the radio.

On 2007-08-24 13:05, EspioKaos wrote:
Believe it or not, other people are entitled to their own opinion. Just because you don't think something is good doesn't mean that everyone else has to think the same way.

You're going to tell me "Happy Birthday" is better than Bach now?

You can say it's your opinion that something is good or not, but sometimes it's just obvious. In this theme's case, it's not true. Though melodically, it's junk, it has some interesting sounds to it (something Sega tends to do well).
Really, it's just a collection of sounds that appeals to one's emotions with not much art put into it. It can appeal to many, but I'd prefer something with a melody and chord progression for a theme. That much is an opinion, though musically I can tell you which is better easily.

EspioKaos
Aug 24, 2007, 09:20 PM
On 2007-08-24 18:32, Zorafim wrote:
You're going to tell me "Happy Birthday" is better than Bach now?

Heh, I won't. But who's to say that someone else wouldn't? It's a matter of taste and opinion.

You can say it's your opinion that something is good or not, but sometimes it's just obvious.
It's obvious to you because its your opinion, just like it's obvious to me that this is a good song because that's what I think.

In this theme's case, it's not true. Though melodically, it's junk, it has some interesting sounds to it (something Sega tends to do well).
Again, that's your opinion. Personally, I enjoy the melody.

Really, it's just a collection of sounds that appeals to one's emotions with not much art put into it. It can appeal to many, but I'd prefer something with a melody and chord progression for a theme. That much is an opinion, though musically I can tell you which is better easily.

Music is a form of art. Therefore, how good a certain song may or may not be is up to the listener. Just because you may think it's terrible doesn't make it so to everyone else. Likewise, just because I think it's good doesn't mean that everyone else will enjoy it. How much a song or piece of music is enjoyed is completely up to whoever is listening to it. No matter how you look at it, it will always be a matter of personal opinion.

engelsein
Aug 24, 2007, 09:32 PM
SCREW THIS THEME SONG AND THE OLD ONE!!!! i want "DU HAST" to be our new theme song(im so gonna get flamed for this)

Criss
Aug 24, 2007, 10:10 PM
Personally, I find the new theme to be an improvement. Not that it's hard to get better than the original song... Both songs still aren't too good, but whatever. I still like this better than the lame, unoriginal, copied and covered crap we have on commercial radio nowadays.

Omega_Weltall
Aug 24, 2007, 10:29 PM
Whooo say we are looost again in this looonley wooorrld.^_^ Iii say we can start again, we'er on the same ship, its called star ship Eaaaaarrrrrrrrrrth. ( WTF ?! i never understood this) It is not tooo late, its our hope so dont say that is faaaake. We must not giiiive up, to build our future, on our dreeeaams. ^_^ We will never lie down and die! But we'll find some way to survive, we all have somebody we love, we know thats why we'er heeeeeeear. ^_^ We battle for freeedom! It is a battle aganst the dark! i have my dreams you know we'er not afraaid of sooomething thing and something soooomething. We battle for to mar row! and something something something something ! er.. TO SAVE THIIIIS WOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRLD!

Old intro nice song, bad lyrics
New intro Ok song, not as bad lyrics
I'm pretty indifrent about it. Needs moar Phantasy Star 2 influence IMHO

Zorafim
Aug 24, 2007, 11:46 PM
On 2007-08-24 20:29, Omega_Weltall wrote:Needs moar Phantasy Star 2 influence IMHO

PSII had an 80s theme for most of the music, correct? There's something about the 80s that entices me, I can't put my finger on it. That may be why I liked PSII so much, simply because I liked the mood.

Fredrick
Aug 24, 2007, 11:51 PM
On 2007-08-24 21:46, Zorafim wrote:

On 2007-08-24 20:29, Omega_Weltall wrote:Needs moar Phantasy Star 2 influence IMHO

PSII had an 80s theme for most of the music, correct? There's something about the 80s that entices me, I can't put my finger on it. That may be why I liked PSII so much, simply because I liked the mood.

PSO always seemed a little 80s. Especially in this trailer.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dyEnJCgTZds

INTERNETS!

Omega_Weltall
Aug 24, 2007, 11:52 PM
now that you metion it.. it did sound VERY 80's. There wasn't 1 track in the whole game that I didn't like. Hell, i even liked the Game Over music... i was pissed every time i heard it but i sounded good at least >_<

Clunker
Aug 25, 2007, 01:08 AM
Ok, longtime forum ghoster, and had to finally post to get these anwered:

What is the name of that new theme song for AoI?
(Say whatever, but I think it's rather catchy!)

And, (if it isn't against the rules) can anyone point me at a good place to find it?

Thanks!

Sydz
Aug 25, 2007, 05:56 AM
Well, If you look at Sega's(and more specificly Sonic Team's) track record for vocal songs, they have almost always been pretty weird songs, almost none of which I'd say is good. it's been that way since Sonic CD(both versions for those of you wondering). PSO's vocal stuff was an obvious exception to this. Not that any of it was lousy either though. None of it even comes close to the opening of MGS3 though..

Parn
Aug 25, 2007, 08:41 AM
On 2007-08-25 03:56, Sydz wrote:
Sonic CD
http://synbios.net/images/misc/psudance1.gif
TOOT TOOT SONIC WARRIOR, TOOT TOOT SONIC WARRIOR
THE POWER IS IN YOUR MIND TO SHAKE THE PLANETS
AND CONQUER TIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIII IIIME (http://synbios.net/misc/soniccdsample.mp3)

Omega_Weltall
Aug 25, 2007, 09:30 AM
...dood are you kidding me?! MY EARS >_<

Ninavask
Aug 25, 2007, 10:15 AM
I can honestly say I like both the new and old music. Don't ask me why because i don't know I just do like both. Though I do prefer the new trailer song over the normal Opening song. After about 100 times of listening to "Save this world" it gets kinda old lol

Sekani
Aug 25, 2007, 10:28 AM

On 2007-08-24 08:32, RufuSwho wrote:

I can say with a straight face that I'd rather see a child's scribbles over something from Picasso or Van Gogh.

Zorafim
Aug 25, 2007, 12:37 PM
On 2007-08-25 08:28, Sekani wrote:

I can say with a straight face that I'd rather see a child's scribbles over something from Picasso or Van Gogh.

You know, I can't blame you. It takes a certain amount of appreciation of visual art to get into their stuff, which many people (myself included) don't have. Though, I have to say: Starry Night is kind of win.

EspioKaos
Aug 25, 2007, 02:35 PM
On 2007-08-24 23:08, Clunker wrote:
Ok, longtime forum ghoster, and had to finally post to get these anwered:

What is the name of that new theme song for AoI?
(Say whatever, but I think it's rather catchy!)

And, (if it isn't against the rules) can anyone point me at a good place to find it?

Thanks!

"Save This World - REMIX Version-" according to the promo CD coming out for AotI.

Unfortunately, it is against the rules to link to MP3s here.

Zorafim
Aug 25, 2007, 07:45 PM
There are ways around it. I use Youtube, though a certain program (that comes with windows, aparantly) is needed to do that. An example of what I did is here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raj1os6j2T4)

Though linking to MP3s and the like is illegal, you can link to sites that have the music. As long as it isn't up for download, it's alright.

D1ABOLIK
Aug 25, 2007, 10:47 PM
Old song,love it.New song,hate it.If the new song is the only one that plays now i will have to mute it until i load my character every time i play.I know its just personal opinion,but in my personal opinion i really,really,hate this new butt rock theme we are getting.I need classical epic japanese music in my PS.

________
VAPORIZER FORUM (http://vaporizer.org/forum)

engelsein
Aug 25, 2007, 11:02 PM
why such hate for the new song? there is really no reason for this post. yes the new song will replace the old one if u like it good if u dont too bad. press the start button so u can skip it =P

Sydz
Aug 26, 2007, 12:17 AM
On 2007-08-25 10:37, Zorafim wrote:

You know, I can't blame you. It takes a certain amount of appreciation of visual art to get into their stuff, which many people (myself included) don't have. Though, I have to say: Starry Night is kind of win.

Well, the same is true of High music, alot of people can't get into Classical or Opera. and I'm personaly more partial to Warhol, and Dali.

Mikaga
Aug 26, 2007, 10:24 AM
Prefer the new song.

Only posting in this thread because it appears to have turned into some form of vote.

RufuSwho
Aug 28, 2007, 11:22 AM
hey now, a child's scribbling IS nicer to look at than a masterpeice of art... if it's your kid http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

like i said, in the eye of the beholder.

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 28, 2007, 12:54 PM
This song is ass. This song is ASS. This makes Save This World sound cool. This makes Sonic Heroes sound like the best piece of game rock since that stage 8 song in Lightening ForceThunder Force IV. This makes Phillip Glass sound like Nobuo Uematsu or Motoi Sakuraba in their prime. If this song were in Dynasty Warriors, Lu Bu would just kill himself. There is simply no end to the amount of chaos this song might cause if it could be harnessed as a weapon.

And no, Ethan does NOT look cool trying to be the "mysterious hooded figure" in the beginning. Of course, the music REALLY makes him seem uncool. He also doesn't look cool trying to be all Sephiroth in that screen full of fire. He looked his coolest riding that hoverboard and getting his dumb ass run over by the Maiden's motorcar in the beginning of not-AoI.

...and did Leo just fire a shotgun like a machinegun?

CrimsomWolf
Aug 28, 2007, 03:34 PM
This new song suits AoI better

Original "Save the World" was good for picnic
As did it's fable : only 3 people dead, and classical ending: Bad guy gets kicked out into interdimensional void.

The atmosphere of Ambition of Illuminus is heavier and so is it's title theme. It's no longer a picnic like PSU.... but fight against crazy human zealots that are prone on genociding all non-humans (this reekes of Gundam SEED....)

Regardless of Ethan's Sepiroth-style clothing and that very long sword.(what's with "bad guy's" and long swords anyway???)

Starrz
Aug 28, 2007, 03:41 PM
I prefer the sound of screaming infants, tbh.

RufuSwho
Aug 28, 2007, 03:54 PM
lol starrz, i have 2-year old TRIPLETS! the sound of screaming infants ring on in my ears even as i sit at work.

i have to play the new themesong to replce my "in-head song"

Everyone knows how the "in-head song works, right?

Its last thing you hear someone whistle, the song in your car when you get out, or the snippet of a song in the elevator.
now the song (of questionable worth) is ingrained in your head until you replace it.
it simply CANNOT be removed/forgotten, only replaced

on that note: i'd rather have the new theme song as my "in-head song"

agree: mysterious hooded figures are automatically -6 cool points
(meet my friend, Ben Dunn)

PS : anyone who is thrying to out-cool sephiroth in the flaming village scene has a tough time ahead

Lykos
Aug 28, 2007, 04:02 PM
Last time I checked, Ethan didn't say "Haha I'm so much cooler than Sephiroth", so stop trying to make it sound like you're so obsessed with Seph. I mean, he's cool and all, but he's not that cool. Seriously.

F-Gattaca
Aug 28, 2007, 04:57 PM
I like each song because, like PSO's opening theme, they set the tone/perspective of the game. They're not THAT badly done, jeez. At least neither song is sung in badly pronounced Engrish.

People are going to say "OMG WORST SONG EVER" no matter what lyrical music is used, I suspect. I've seen this happen when Namco used licensed music for Ace Combat 5 - The Unsung War. "Blurry" by Puddle of Mudd. Again, not even that stopped the detractors. I doubt Rammstein will fare any better.

Anyway. About the symbolism: Save This World clearly reflects PSU's motif of both spirituality and fighting for survival aganst the SEED. Don't believe me about the spirituality? Check this: "I cannot live without faith, even though I am faced with death" You could almost see it as a song from Karen/Mirei's perspective ... and the story does have much to do with the Divine Maiden and the CoG. What's more, the ancient civilization (according to our online mode vision phone thingies--look for yourself if you don't believe me) was thought to have died out as a result of abandoning spirituality. Other NPCs mention how the power of photons relies on the strength of a person's own soul, and that there is something just wrong about A-Photons. (CAST NPCs seem far more enthusiastic about it though.)

AoI's theme song is almost like an antithesis of all that, and seems to be more from Laia's perspective--or maybe both Laia's and Ethan's. In direct contrast to that one Save This World lyric, you have this: "We are all we have, nothing will come to save ourselves." That sounds especially like Laia, since she seemed rather snide in regards to the CoG and taunted Hyuga over his faith several times--though she was hardly as nasty/hateful about it as some of the Parum CAST NPCs, ugh. Ethan wasn't like this (considering he fought to protect the both Divine Maiden and Karen), but he wasn't a believer either (something you learn when he talks to an NPC in Neudaiz).

Anyway, my reasons for liking both songs: I primarily like Save This World for its overall message and feel, while I like the AoI theme simply because it's rock.

I'd want to hear what Save This World would sound like done in PSO's opening theme style; we've already got the orchestra instrumental version (which is just awesome).