PDA

View Full Version : Clans suck.

KodiaX987
Aug 23, 2007, 05:28 PM
Hoho, here comes another controversial topic!

You all know clans. People become friends, make a gang together, give it a name like -=-=TEHEXTREEM=-=- and then recruit members. Now, you think clans and you associate it with brotherhood, teamwork, mentors and helpers. When you play against a clan, you gotta watch your back, right?

Meet the clan servers of Battlefield 2142. Essentially the safe haven of clans in the game. The place where they can lure in unsuspecting victims and rape them, or showcase their stupidity. Here's how:

-Clan A explicitly forbade suicide tactics, and instakicked anyone who performed them, but the clan members had no problem suiciding the enemy to hell and back on a regular basis.

-Clan B, while waiting for enemies to show up in their vicinity, proceeded to have fun teamkilling each other. They got so distracted that a single enemy grenade took them all out and left me alone to deal with the mess.

-Clan C seemed all right for a while, until I noticed their clanmates would shoot EMP bursts on friendly vehicles on their way to the flags.

-I joined the TeamSpeak server of Clan D because I couldn't find a VoIP-enabled squad. I found the clanmates from both teams in a single channel, passing intel to each other in an effort to farm kills and points.

-Clan E's splashscreen advertised that they were looking for "high-level players for 5v5, 8v8 and league tournaments." Most of their clanmates happened to be complete n00bs who have no idea how to drive or fly. They dropship-rammed on a regular basis, and performed base-raping despite their own server rules forbidding anyone from doing so. I regularly humiliated them in terms of scoring points and doing my job at the same time.

-While playing on Clan F's server, I got stuck with an asshole who would board vehicles and then refuse to move anywhere with them. He camped them round after round, essentially preventing my team from using its precious assets, and whenever he gained commander position, he refused to use his commander abilities, and dropped artillery strikes on his own teammates. I yelled for an admin, no go. Noticing the clan members were on the opposing team, I switched teams, joined their squad and asked for the bad via VoIP, explaining my reasons why. To my utter disgust, I was told the guy's action were not a bannable offense... but that me calling him "a fucking asshole" was grounds for banning me because kids played on that server.

Why the fuck do you let your prepubescent kid play a war game in the first place?

-Clan G wasn't much of a clan - it was more of a glorified ragtag band of idiots. I joined their squad only to see zero teamwork. The leader never gave us orders (despite my numerous requests) and each squadmate was at a different flag on the map.

Sekani
Aug 23, 2007, 06:32 PM
On 2007-08-23 15:28, KodiaX987 wrote:
Now, you think clans and you associate it with brotherhood, teamwork, mentors and helpers.

Nope. Not since around 1997 have I witnessed any FPS clan be anything other than an assortment of douches.

Sinue_v2
Aug 23, 2007, 06:53 PM
I've never been a member of a clan, nor do I plan to. Well, I was part of a LS in FFXI, but only to make communication with my friends easier. I'm also in my cousin's Halo 2 clan, but there's no point to the clan. We never do anything together anyhow.

Though I have considered joining the FreeMasons.

Mystil
Aug 23, 2007, 08:36 PM
-Clan B, while waiting for enemies to show up in their vicinity, proceeded to have fun teamkilling each other. They got so distracted that a single enemy grenade took them all out and left me alone to deal with the mess.
Gotta love those clans that just BS thier time away.

Solstis
Aug 23, 2007, 08:42 PM
I was part of a pretty good clan, but it was an 18+ one. Good bunch of people, mostly middle-aged.

The thing about kids is that some of the clanmembers had kids, so they disallowed cursing on the server, but cursing was allowed on the teamspeak (18+ age limit on the teamspeak). Few clans are rarely so well run, especially on consoles.

Scejntjynahl
Aug 23, 2007, 08:56 PM
Kodi, why don't you make your clan? Though I would be scared to mess up if I were in that clan Oo

KodiaX987
Aug 23, 2007, 09:56 PM
I'm in clan /b/. I think you can figure out the rest on your own. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Powder Keg
Aug 23, 2007, 10:06 PM
We did nothing but mess with clans in Socom 2, and they took the game so seriously that they were extremely easy to piss off, and that alone made the game a blast.

MrNomad
Aug 24, 2007, 12:11 AM
On 2007-08-23 20:06, Artea wrote:
We did nothing but mess with clans in Socom 2, and they took the game so seriously that they were extremely easy to piss off, and that alone made the game a blast.

Godamn those SOCOM games, good times ^ ^
As for clans, I duno what to tell you. I'd say its different in ORPGs like PSU or Guildwars where teamwork and such is more friendly based since you hafta work together to finish a mission, find a rare etc. In FPSs There's much more tension Because not only is the gameplay based solely on beating another player but also beating a lot of players and making a name for yourself in the game. Take Armored Core 4 on Xbox Live and PS3, you play online in battle royal and team battles with a mech you can either make from start or use a "cookie cutter" build that's pre-made. Needless to say, homemade mechs end up greater than cookie-cutters so beating players in AC4 can really make a name for you, people give you props and ask what gears you use on your mechs. People see vets as the know-it-alls that can help you make the perfect mech, so ofcourse when these people are in a clan they are some symbol of god to everyone http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif needless to say, piss off any vet in an fps and they take it like you slapped their mom XD

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 24, 2007, 02:37 AM
I've never been a fan of clans myself. I'll only make them, never join them.

Uncle_bob
Aug 24, 2007, 03:08 AM
Clans = LOL INTERNET THUGZ

Ever notice they all claim to be hackers? They always say they'll fuck you up if you mess with them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif Good times.

Clans almost always suck; I'd rather just play with people I know.

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 24, 2007, 05:07 AM
On 2007-08-24 01:08, Uncle_bob wrote:

Ever notice they all claim to be hackers? They always say they'll fuck you up if you mess with them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif Good times.

And make a clan with them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

And then you don't invite anyone else.

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 24, 2007, 05:08 AM

And make a clan with them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Solstis
Aug 24, 2007, 07:07 AM
So, some of you people are the kind of jerks that would mess with the server just because it was clan run. Wow. Let's terrorize things we don't understand or like? We never claimed to be hackers, though we did get hacked.

DurakkenX
Aug 24, 2007, 10:43 AM
On FFXI I was kicked from a LS because apparently somehow i would scare away the new member I had just brought into the LS less that an hour ago after having talked to them for more than three hours before hand...

I then made my own LS and unfortunately it did me no good as everyone was 20 or more levels lower than me which was ok till I hit 71 when you really can't do anything without people of equal level or higher so i got fed up and quit FFXI ^.^ Last time I checked my LS is still going, under a dif name, as they changed it as there were problems after I left and my account was closed...

in general though I find clans, guilds, LSs, families, teams, groups, or whatever else you wish to call them more or less a waste of time as most people don't know how to run them to achieve their purpose any how. Besides I've always found that you can effect the community more as a loner or as a leader of a very well built clan that is very hard to make in most cases. And considering the latter is ever so much harder the former is the best for most people.

Powder Keg
Aug 24, 2007, 11:05 AM

That or "My Uncle works for the game, and I'll get you banned!"

omegapirate2k
Aug 24, 2007, 05:03 PM
On 2007-08-24 03:08, Sgt_Shligger wrote:

EXACTLY.

And then tell them all how awesome you are http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

McLaughlin
Aug 24, 2007, 05:31 PM
Halo2 clans make me laugh. This is how a conversation I had in Team SWAT Pre-game lobby went.

Dumbass1: "You guys are fucked."
Dumbass2: "Yeah, you're going to get raped. Just quit now."
Dumbass3: "We're like, 6 and 0 tonight."
Dumbass4: "You're all fucked up the ass."
Teammate1: "Yeah well, shut the fuck up already."
Teammate2: "Holy fuck! Shut the hell up already! My kid's in the room!"
Teammate3: "Good job swearing infront of him, moron."
Dumbass2: "Way to go dipshit."

*Game sets up*

Teammate 2: "Fuck this, I hate Lockout." *Quits before game starts*

*Game starts*

Teammate1: "This is gay." *Quits*
Teammate3: "Fuck this shit." *Quits* (Yeah, he continued to swear after telling everyone to stop.)

I ended up losing, but only by 3 points. I chose to exemplify this group because none of them had a strategy. That I could come so close to winning by myself is embarrassing. Not to mention they yelled at one another every time I killed one of them, and then told me I sucked even though I killed them.

Halo2 makes me laugh.

Thalui89
Aug 25, 2007, 06:53 PM
Basically, clans suck if their retarded, if on the rare chance you get a good clan then thei rgreat.

MrNomad
Aug 25, 2007, 09:48 PM
On 2007-08-24 15:31, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
Halo2 clans make me laugh. This is how a conversation I had in Team SWAT Pre-game lobby went.

*Game sets up*

*Game starts*

Teammate3: "Fuck this shit." *Quits* (Yeah, he continued to swear after telling everyone to stop.)

I ended up losing, but only by 3 points. I chose to exemplify this group because none of them had a strategy. That I could come so close to winning by myself is embarrassing. Not to mention they yelled at one another every time I killed one of them, and then told me I sucked even though I killed them.

Halo2 makes me laugh.

Truth be told, the Halo2 fanbase would've been less retarded had it not been just on Xbox live > > Xbox live is what turns people into morons for some reason...

omegapirate2k
Aug 26, 2007, 09:12 AM
On 2007-08-25 19:48, MrNomad wrote:

*Game sets up*

*Game starts*

Halo2 makes me laugh.

Truth be told, the Halo2 fanbase would've been less retarded had it not been just on Xbox live > > Xbox live is what turns people into morons for some reason...

It's more or less general internet anonymity talking, combine internet and competition and you get a large amount of fucktards.

MrNomad
Aug 26, 2007, 11:20 AM
On 2007-08-26 07:12, omegapirate2k wrote:

On 2007-08-25 19:48, MrNomad wrote:

*Game sets up*

*Game starts*

Halo2 makes me laugh.

It's more or less general internet anonymity talking, combine internet and competition and you get a large amount of fucktards.

Thats what I meant, Xbox Live is based off competition in general

CrimsomWolf
Aug 26, 2007, 01:04 PM
I was never fan of multiplayer in games, but if I play it then either alone, or with people that I know and can hold a good conversation.....

BlackHat
Sep 2, 2007, 11:41 PM
The only "clan game" i can think of that i play is Socom CA/3. 2 examples.

1. Got booted from a room by idiotic clan for being to good.
It was an all pistols room, i had 5kills 1 Death in the first round, respawn off. Second round i got 6kills 0 Deaths. Third round i get TK'D and removed from the room with someone in the same clan as them because we had the highest kills.

2. Getting removed from a clan for being inactive after i told them i would be away for about a month. Needless to say only 2 people out of 18 on that clan were good.