PDA

View Full Version : Do you care...

DurakkenX
Aug 25, 2007, 02:28 PM
...about the characters and world of PSU?

More over do you know more than the basics about each world?

Like for example that to grind a weapon the limiter on the weapon is removed and a pure photon stream is applied or that Karren's real name is Kuyuh Mikuna?

ThEoRy
Aug 25, 2007, 02:40 PM
Oh please great one! Enlighten us with your infinite wisdom!

Fure_Rakune
Aug 25, 2007, 02:40 PM
Ive been interested in some things pertaining to the origin of the races. Im sure the knowledge is out there.
If I recall correctly, arent newmans the product of human experimentation and CAST are obviously made of their design, but what about the Beast and how did they come to be?
Are they another experimentation by the humans?

EspioKaos
Aug 25, 2007, 02:41 PM
I do. I love the random bits of story and science behind games, and love when they are expanded upon. It may have no effect at all on how the game plays, but it adds to the whole experience. For me, at least.

EspioKaos
Aug 25, 2007, 02:44 PM
On 2007-08-25 12:40, Fure_Rakune wrote:
Ive been interested in some things pertaining to the origin of the races. Im sure the knowledge is out there.
If I recall correctly, arent newmans the product of human experimentation and CAST are obviously made of their design, but what about the Beast and how did they come to be?
Are they another experimentation by the humans?

Beasts were created as a slave race. They were made exceptionally strong and tough so they could be put to work in the mines of Moatoob.

Also, the name of the project developed to create newmans is "Project: Designer Human."

I really need to find the time to finish my translation of that time line. There's a lot of good info there. <_<;

Fure_Rakune
Aug 25, 2007, 02:46 PM
Good to know, then again I bet if I played offline mode beyond the horrid opening scene, I would know these things.
:B

Siertes
Aug 25, 2007, 02:51 PM
No, I really don't care much for the world of PSU and its story. It doesn't seem all that interesting to me. PSU is just a fun game to play in my eyes.

DurakkenX
Aug 25, 2007, 02:55 PM
Fure: Newmans were made as a better human, but it was discovered that to up the intelligence the physical side was decreased and so it was decided to be given up or just not fully implemented. CASTs are just the pinnacle of AI technology. Their core chipset is different than that of any other machine and that is what makes them seperate from other machines such as PMs. Beasts were made as physically superior specimens to work as miners on planet moatoob. PM could be considered a 5th race or a sub-class of CASTs, but shouldn't be and are the highest level of AI machine that can exist under the laws of the gurhal system and as such is probably representative of AI tech a few years before CASTs were created.

Octagon: With your personality your name is funny

Espio: There are a few NPCs on Clyez that give great info concerning CASTs, PMs, Nanotransformers, and a few other things specifically. I'll be writing this stuff up eventually... it just takes a lot of patience.

BanF
Aug 25, 2007, 02:55 PM
Yes, you would. Basically the humans created the other three for different purposes, then started to lay a heavy hand on them and the War broke out (the one that ended 100 years ago when offline story mode starts). The current conditions are a result of that War and the peace treaty that followed. Beasts got Moatoob (where they mined the ores as slaves), the Newmen got Neudaiz, and the humans and CASTs share Parum, with the CASTs overseeing the whole planet and the humans more or less like tenants, so the CASTs do the work, but they are about the humans (supposedly CASTs are better at staving off corruption than humans). The Colony just links the planets and houses the Guardians. Of course, no race is perfect and they've all had their bad apples (Rogues, the Endrum Collective, the radical branches of the CoG, and of course the Illuminus).

Ever since PSO the multi-layered, shades-of-grey storylines have kept me hooked, and I still play just to uncover all secrets in the game. The fact that the AoI trailers and info hint at major storyline changes is what has me the most hyped up about it.

ThEoRy
Aug 25, 2007, 03:03 PM
That's funny. You know nothing of my personality. So how does your extremely limited view on one minuscule aspect of my life translate into humor?

Rashiid
Aug 25, 2007, 03:29 PM
im sorry; wtf is this topic about o.0

ThEoRy
Aug 25, 2007, 04:29 PM
On 2007-08-25 13:29, Rashiid wrote:
im sorry; wtf is this topic about o.0

Absolutely nothing. Which is why I first posted in this thread the way that I did.

SStrikerR
Aug 25, 2007, 06:00 PM
i know most of it, but do i care? NO

Zantra
Aug 25, 2007, 06:10 PM
Maybe i'm nostalgic for PSO, but I think that you had a much better reason to care for the people and characters in the PSO games, then you do for the characters of PSU. In PSO, you're part of a small group of people who are saving the world, and in PSU, you're just a faceless soldier, who's part of a much larger army.

Sekani
Aug 25, 2007, 07:11 PM
On 2007-08-25 16:10, Zantra wrote:
Maybe i'm nostalgic for PSO, but I think that you had a much better reason to care for the people and characters in the PSO games, then you do for the characters of PSU. In PSO, you're part of a small group of people who are saving the world, and in PSU, you're just a faceless soldier, who's part of a much larger army.

I didn't care about the story or characters in PSO because to be honest, I had no idea what the hell was going on. The presentation was so shitty that I actually had to scour various internet discussions just to understand the storyline. To this day I still don't know what the fuck exactly happened to anyone on Pioneer 1 except for Rico and Flowen (nor do I care anymore, so don't waste your time trying to enlighten me).

PSU's storyline may be a lot less epic, but at least you don't need a rosetta stone to understand it.

BanF
Aug 25, 2007, 07:48 PM
Heh.

To me the way PSO set up the story was brilliant. The game's opening movie set it up, and then as you cleared areas and reported back to Tyrel, plus talking to the people and listening to Rico's clues, it all began to clear up. Little things, like the secretary confirming Rico was Tyrel's daughter, or when you got to the Ruins and found out all the debris left around were the remains of Pioneer 1's army, they really had impact if you were into the story.

With PSU, you need to play story line mode first, because all of the online missions are based off it and presume you know what happened, why Ethan is wanted, what the SEED is, what the Conjunction was, etc. Not as good an execution, in my opinion, but it's just as deep and complex a story as PSO's.

Zorafim
Aug 25, 2007, 07:54 PM
I like for my gaming world to have a backstory to it. I hate just living in a faceless area. I want my monsters to have a reason to attack me, my weapons to have an origin, and the house I live in to have a history. Simply because of this, I like hearing about PSU's backstory.
One problem that Phantasy Star seems to of suffered is that its story is better than what you're given. PSII has much more story than what you see in the game. Each random character you have has a backstory to them, but the only text they have is when they join you and when you beat the game (Or otherwise leave your party). I'm sure PSU has a similar problem, even though there's much more room for text.

ShadowDragon28
Aug 25, 2007, 10:30 PM
On 2007-08-25 17:48, BanF wrote:
Heh.

To me the way PSO set up the story was brilliant. The game's opening movie set it up, and then as you cleared areas and reported back to Tyrel, plus talking to the people and listening to Rico's clues, it all began to clear up. Little things, like the secretary confirming Rico was Tyrel's daughter, or when you got to the Ruins and found out all the debris left around were the remains of Pioneer 1's army, they really had impact if you were into the story.

With PSU, you need to play story line mode first, because all of the online missions are based off it and presume you know what happened, why Ethan is wanted, what the SEED is, what the Conjunction was, etc. Not as good an execution, in my opinion, but it's just as deep and complex a story as PSO's.

I completely concur. I couldn't have said it better myself. Brilliant post BanF. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sinue_v2
Aug 25, 2007, 10:34 PM
Maybe i'm nostalgic for PSO, but I think that you had a much better reason to care for the people and characters in the PSO games, then you do for the characters of PSU.

I can't really see it that way. Most of the characters were under-developed, one-offs, or had storylines which just completely leave you hanging. The Elly x Callus storyline, for example, is one of them. That whole plotline was just dropped.

The thing is, PSO wasn't really developed with multiple sequels in mind, but it ended up being one of the Dreamcast's most breakout titles. So they had a completed game on their hands, and worked backwards from there to fit everything together. So the stories themselves become dijointed and pretty far-fetched rather early on. Especially with Ep III.

PSU is different. It was designed, from the very begining, with an entire story arc in mind which would span several sequels. So much of the unexplained, or poorly explained, occurances in PSU are lead ins for later storyline developments. Think of it kinda like the .//hack games. Though, I think that Sonic Team didn't make each individual installment strong enough to stand on it's own. So it's really going to end up being something you'll look back on in two to three years when it's finished and then decide whether or not it was decent. Thus far, we've just scratched the surface.

PSU's storyline may be a lot less epic, but at least you don't need a rosetta stone to understand it.

I would say PSU's storyline is decidedly more epic than PSO's. However it doesn't have that atmosphere of oppression and tragedy that PSO had. Yet...

they really had impact if you were into the story.

Eh, I disagree. PSO's story was very sparse and disjointed. Most people had no idea there even was a storyline to it, because they never bothered to put it all together. Many people found the best way to give the story more impact and meaning was to try to connect it to the classic series, and let it lean on the already well established Phantasy Star mythos. Considering how well PSO Ep I fit into PSIII's endings, it's no wonder that connection theories thrived and continue to this day. That's where I'd say 70% of PSO's strength as a story comes from.

With PSU, you need to play story line mode first, because all of the online missions are based off it and presume you know what happened, why Ethan is wanted, what the SEED is, what the Conjunction was, etc.

And 20 hours of playing a very easy RPG to find out the answers to some of your questions is somehow intolerable? Expecially considering that quite a few people spent far more time than that online researching PSO's storyline just trying to put the jigsaw together.

Jinto117
Aug 25, 2007, 10:39 PM
Is the Illuminus faction is comprised of humans? What is their goal? What do we know of them so far?

BanF
Aug 25, 2007, 10:48 PM
We know:

1. The are human supremacists.

2. They are terrorists.

3. They took over what remained of the Endrum Collective, up to an including their SEED-virus program.

4. They've tricked GRM and the AMF into furthering their research.

5. They have no sense of style.

Oh, and Sinue, as for Elly and Callus, it was interesting to see them both back in Episode II, as support staff for the Lab; it might not have been an epic development, but it sure gave (IMNSHO) a good sense of continuity from Episode II.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BanF on 2007-08-25 20:51 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
Aug 25, 2007, 10:52 PM
I wish it was possible to steal Ethans new dark-hued Long-Coat...

I wants it so much http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

BanF
Aug 25, 2007, 10:53 PM
On 2007-08-25 20:48, BanF wrote:
We know:

1. The are human supremacists.

2. They are terrorists.

3. They took over what remained of the Endrum Collective, up to an including their SEED-virus program.

4. They've tricked GRM and the AMF into furthering their research.

5. They have no sense of style.

Oh, and Sinue, as for Elly and Callus, it was interesting to see them both back in Episode II, as support staff for the Lab; it might not have been an epic development, but it sure gave (IMNSHO) a good sense of continuity from Episode I.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BanF on 2007-08-25 20:51 ]</font>

Midknight
Aug 25, 2007, 10:57 PM
I heard that they bred animals with humans for Beasts. LOL. Gross

Sinue_v2
Aug 26, 2007, 12:42 AM
Support for the lab? No... I'm talking about the MOTHER project from Seat of the Heart. The very REASON for the Calus, Vol Opt, and Olga AI cores. The project that Osto was originally working on before he got fed up with it's slow development and turned to D-Cellular research - eventually fusing the Olga AI core with Heithcliff Flowen. They were two means to the same end.

Seat of the Heart ended with Calus entering MOTHER to evolve into the next stage of the AI's evolution... and yet, we hear absolutely nothing further from that point on. It didn't just run parallel to the main storyline - it was a PART of the main storyline. That's why the two tower quests and Seat of the Heart were added to PSO+ later on. That's pretty sloppy...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-08-25 22:46 ]</font>

BanF
Aug 26, 2007, 12:49 AM
Why?

Cz
Aug 26, 2007, 02:18 AM
i am hoping that they will add a world that always rain. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif That would be so much fun! At least for me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bunny.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bunny.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bunny.gif

DurakkenX
Aug 26, 2007, 07:26 AM
I think there is much more story that we are not getting in PSU because it's hidden in the story mode NPCs and there haven't been many stories online that use the NPCs and the ones we do meet are not given names for the most part online. I wish there were actual characters in the online cities wandering around and it'd be nice to see where all those chars are 5 years down the road....

As far as I know with PSO a lot of characters, while they did add life to the game, which is what PSU is lacking, they weren't really well thought out and ep2, 3, and 4 are more or less the same as me or you writing a story using the PSO universe...

Sydz
Aug 26, 2007, 07:35 AM
PSU NPC: Ethan! Let me have your babies!
Ethan: !?,But you are a Cast!
NPC: I don't care! We will work it out later!

Rashiid
Aug 26, 2007, 08:11 AM
LOL i remember that...

DurakkenX
Aug 26, 2007, 08:18 AM
If that really happened in the story, which i have no doubt it did...she is the one that your char meets in online mode story.. She's an AMF soldier under Curtz's command

PJ
Aug 26, 2007, 08:20 AM
PSU's story, thanks to the online chapters, I think has gotten much more epic for all the people who were saying that it didn't feel all that... well, epic.

You know, fucking Guardians Colony crashing into Parum? That's some pretty sweet shit. And it's not just that, I think my real excitement for the story (Well, I liked the offline story, but the online story) was ep2 ch5, with the Sochee.

So yes, I'm really enjoying story stuff. Also that one SEED that you couldn't kill in... Chapter 8 was it? And of course, what that is... or wtf Hyuga is doing... or a possible connection...? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif I actually really want to fight an enemy like that (I know someone said it was a reskin of SEED Magashi from offline, but come on, you fought it once XD)

BanF
Aug 26, 2007, 09:51 AM
Careful with the spoilers!

Zoamel_Gustav
Aug 26, 2007, 01:23 PM
I love PSU's story elements. I liked the plots from the NPC much better than the main story.

I do think it's funny how much of the game elements we take for granted are explained away too. Lineshields, techs, palettes, item management, travel, cut-ins, etc all have working explainations.