PDA

View Full Version : Algol star system ?

gase
Aug 26, 2007, 06:46 AM
ok i have been looking into getting psu, i am a big phantasy star fan, played all the games but the thing i noticed about psu and also pso was the lack of the algol start system, in ps 1,2,3,4 they are all based around the algol and dark falze. now pso had dark falze in it but no mention of algol.

if you follow the story of the series then you will know that in ps2 palma (one of the main planets in algol) blows up and they are evacuated in space ships. ps 3 is based in these ships, so every one said pso was a continuation of this as they are on a space ship looking for a new home ( we can only guess at this, no mention of palma or algol).

so where does that leave us with psu again its not in the algol star system, is the any mention of algol or any referance to the first 4 games or even any referance to pso ????
will the series ever return to algol ?
im sure im not the only person who loved the 3 planets of mota, palma (even though it has been destroyed), dezoris.

also what ever happend to the landel blood line as this was also a big part of the first series.

thanks for reading, hope to hear some good replies

gase

Sydz
Aug 26, 2007, 07:13 AM
PSIV finished off the Algol story line pretty tightly. As for PSO, it's not a continuation of the story in 3. Somewhere it's mentioned that the name of their home planet is Coral.
I kind of like the move to the gurhal system in some ways. There are alot of throwbacks to the classic games, but enough Original stuff to make it interesting too.

A2K
Aug 26, 2007, 08:39 AM
At this point in time, consider the PSO and PSU series to be alternate universes. Sonic Team strays from Algol, I think, mostly out of respect. An odd reference, parallel, or character with the same name is one thing, but I don't think they intend to ever directly muck with anything going down in Algol, especially after the more-or-less tidy ending the series got in Phantasy Star IV.

Sydz
Aug 26, 2007, 09:35 AM
Another odd thing I noticed is they havent touched on Earth, or Terrans since the original series either.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sydz on 2007-08-26 07:38 ]</font>

Esufer
Aug 26, 2007, 09:37 AM
On 2007-08-26 07:35, Sydz wrote:
Snother odd thing is they havent touched on Earth, or Terrans since the original series either.

lol dats bcoz d earth is taken ova by d covenent lol

Sinue_v2
Aug 26, 2007, 10:40 AM
Well, there's enough evidence out there to soildly connect PSIII with PSO Ep I should the player choose, however it's not a connonitical link at this time. Just a lot of circumstancial evidence, but with no smoking gun. So a link between Algol and Gurhal might very well be a proxy through PSO should Sonic Team (or the player) decide to go that route. But for right now, there's nothing really.

Another thing I've thought of, is that perhaps Gurhal was it's own seperate culture which was perhaps visited by Alis and Lutz long ago. Completely speculative, but there was a comic titled "Out Side Saga" in the old S.P.E.C magazines which detailed an event in which loyalists to Lassic tampered with the engines to Alis's spacecraft, sending her and Lutz to anther solar system. Alis stayed behind, but Lutz returned to Algol and developed Techniques shortly afterward. So I suppose it may be possible to assume a link that way. This would explain a few things, such as the importance of the relief sculpture girl you see prominantly on the Guardians Colony, and how another spaceship carries the Landeel namesake.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if PSU used Black Holes as a form of wormhole to travel through space and time. It happens in PSIII, and I guess it depends on how ST plans to impliment Ragol into PSU.

At the very least you can look at it like this... if nothing else binds the PS series together, it is the struggle between the Great Light and Profound Darkness. The designers already stated long ago that the next Phantasy Star game would like take place in a new solar system, and a new civilization. However the common link would be these two spiritual, god-like, entities... and that in order to keep the Darkness from returning, we may have to kill the Great Light. This makes a bit of sense, since in PSO we're presented with the lines "Light... Darkness.. A Pair exist, but doesn't always exist. Reincarnation is the rule". Whereas before, we couldn't destory the darkness so we were content to seal it - PSU might be the game in which we destroy the darkness by killing the light.

Also, for shits and giggles, I snapped this screenshot awhile ago and forgot I had it. Seems to be a diagram of the Gurhal Solar System. Figured I'd post it since the orbits and positions of the planets seem to be a deviceive topic at times.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Sinue/psu20070826_174111_000.jpg

gase
Aug 26, 2007, 11:44 AM
thanks for the replies guys...

DurakkenX
Aug 26, 2007, 01:07 PM
Sinue, that map really doesn't tell anything, because it can be translated various ways...

If you interpret the way one would it says that Parum is on an orbit opposing Moatoob and Neudaiz and they are all too close to the sun.

Both of those are fairly impossible in a natural system so my theory still stands that it is unnatural planet formation...

Zorafim
Aug 26, 2007, 01:12 PM
They turned Numen into space elves. I just thought you should know.

CrimsomWolf
Aug 26, 2007, 01:18 PM
If Neisecond would be in Sega HQ it would case to exsist in matter of minutes....

BTW, did you know that Rika/Fal was originally designed by one of leading members of the project as another clone of Nei. However the project was scrapped , which upset few people..... Hence Rika has black ending of her ears.....

An effect of "civil war" within Sega it would seem.....

Zorafim
Aug 26, 2007, 01:30 PM
On 2007-08-26 11:18, CrimsomWolf wrote:
BTW, did you know that Rika/Fal was originally designed by one of leading members of the project as another clone of Nei.

Damn, that would have been cool. We don't see nearly enough of Nei.

Sinue_v2
Aug 26, 2007, 01:31 PM
It was Tohru Yoshida who wanted the Nei clone, and I believe Rieko and some other members who didn't. Out of frustration he colored the tips of her ears black.

And Zora, the project did go ahead, and Nei was brought back for PSIV. It's just that instead of making a game, they made a production out of it. The Phantasy Star Memorial Drama CD. There's a full translation of it in the works at CrystalTenchi.

Dur, the large illustration isn't that clear, but to the right of it there is a dot with three circles around it. The sun, and the three planets. Parum at the 11 position, Neudaiz at three position. Moatoob isn't shown, since the bottom overlaps and it could well be at the six position. It may also be at the 7 position, but it's a bit hard to make out from that screenshot. Also, I can't keep the Gurhal sun out of the equation. Especially after such a big deal is made of it, and it's increased volatility leading into the Unification Point. The Gates of Denikaya are often referred to as a gigantic nano-transformer. If you look at the one on Ethan's neck - it shows a circular center surrounded by three dots in a triangle formation. This would suggest to me, additionally, that the planets were at equal planes and distances away from each other in - with the sun in the center, during the unification.

Also, speaking of planes, while you are right in that the three planets of the Gurhal system are almost always depicted as being on the same side of the sun, they have different horizontal positions to the sun. Some sit higher, some lower, to the sun's equator. This means that while orbiting the sun, even if they all stayed to one side of the sun at all times, their distances in relation to one another will vary radically.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-08-26 15:57 ]</font>

CrimsomWolf
Aug 26, 2007, 01:32 PM
But idiots scrapped that project....

WTF SEGA!!!!?????? CAN'T YOU PEOPLE OUT IN YOUR TEAM USE BRAINS!!!!!!!!

Sydz
Aug 26, 2007, 07:02 PM
Am I the only one who likes Rika as character on her own?

And Duralast has a point, But remember in story mode They mention the planets are only in this position for a limited time. At the same time there are alot of factors, and math for that matter on the Gurhal system we just don't know about. But personaly, and this probably falls into that catagory, When things start getting too complicated, or don't make a whole lot of sense, I usualy write it off as being a plot device, either for story, convience, good looks, or all 3.