PDA

View Full Version : joke

zoloroel
Aug 26, 2007, 05:56 PM
if a mil lilly sceams it's head off in the middle of the forest and nobody hears it does it make a sound?

AlexCraig
Aug 26, 2007, 06:21 PM
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but I am guessing yes for the fact that it can hear itself.

Zantra
Aug 27, 2007, 01:49 AM
This is more of a philosophical question...

A joke would be...

Q. How many Casts, does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A. 2, one to calculate the best way to do it, and the other, to screw it up.

amtalx
Aug 27, 2007, 07:39 AM
On 2007-08-26 23:49, Zantra wrote:
This is more of a philosophical question...

A joke would be...

Q. How many Casts, does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A. 2, one to calculate the best way to do it, and the other, to screw it up. None. The silly meatbags will do it for them.

fix'd

Weeaboolits
Aug 27, 2007, 07:41 AM
This kind of question actually irks me a bit, wouldn't something make a sound regardless if whether peeps are about or not? Damn human narcissism. :/

Eihwaz
Aug 27, 2007, 09:01 AM
On 2007-08-27 05:41, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
This kind of question actually irks me a bit, wouldn't something make a sound regardless if whether peeps are about or not? Damn human narcissism. :/

Quoted for truth. >_<

DurakkenX
Aug 27, 2007, 09:43 AM
There are 3 answers to that... it's not a joke it's a philosophical question as someone said.

#1. no one perceived it so it did not happen
#2. It happened regardless of whether anyone perceived it or not.
#3. Whether it happened or not is based on who you talk to on a small scale and on a large scale it depends on what the majority say.

So the only suitable answer is... maybe.

Weeaboolits
Aug 27, 2007, 10:27 AM
Sound is just kinetic energy, I severely doubt it'll change behavior simply because there are no people there to hear it.

Zorafim
Aug 27, 2007, 02:42 PM
I never understood this paradox (forgive me if I can't remember the proper term). Sound is made when the air is disturbed in a large degree, if I am not mistaken. A screaming lily will disrupt the air, regardless of who is around it. Whether or not there are ears to hear it, a sound is made. There isn't much that can change that.

Midicronica
Aug 27, 2007, 02:54 PM
My god, you people... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

And I ain't talking about the OP.

DizzyDi
Aug 27, 2007, 03:25 PM
The original "joke" isn't really a question that is sopposed to be answered. Its one of those things that Monks do when they're meditating, it helps them concentrate to reach Nirvana.
Just like the question 'what is the sound of one hand clapping?'

JAFO22000
Aug 27, 2007, 03:50 PM
On 2007-08-27 13:25, DizzyDi wrote:
Just like the question 'what is the sound of one hand clapping?'

*slaps left hand's fingers against inside of left hand's palm repeatedly*

ulyoth
Aug 27, 2007, 03:57 PM
A better one is : If a tree falls in a rainforest but no one is there to hear it does it make a sound?
"Sound" is vibrations in the air which are picked up by tiny hairs in your ear, these send signals to your brain telling you what it sounds like, so in theory no the tree doesnt make a noise. Its a difficult thing to explain, there is no noise but there is the potential for noise. :S