PDA

View Full Version : Is it wrong to be a cynic?

Shadowpawn
Aug 26, 2007, 11:12 PM
Side Note: I had a problem trying to decide where I should put this thing. OT, DHS or FKL? I figured this ranty satire of a rant contains SOME truth (namely SEPTA) to it. So, I Meh'd it.

This was bugging me for a while. Being a long time cynic myself I was wondering...is this a good thing? Has being cynical left me jaded? Surely I can't be the only one who gets pissed at some of the simplest questions? I mean how can I answer you AND be asleep, seriously? How illogical can the question "are you asleep?" be? If I was asleep I couldn't answer you...c'mon now.

Why must we feel the need to reassure ourself with the constant reaffirming of the phrase "I Love You?" I mean, c'mon. It doesn't need to be said, really. You either love or ya don't love, and it shows. Reaffirming it just shows your insecure in the quality of love in your relationships. Why do we even bother with it all? We're going to kick the bucket anyway so I propose we all just lie down and want for the end (oh don't worry about pesky things like eating and going to the bathroom, just eat whatever happens to come along and go on yourself like nature intended.) C'mon now. The world is full of hypocrites and I'm one of them. It's bad when a major transportation company raises rates because of a lack for funding, gets the funding but keeps the fair hike!! C'mon on now, 100 million and continued funding from the state isn't enough for you greedy bastards!

C'mon now, the sad thing is if you want to make great strides in this world you have to be a realist (which means being a cynic.) Because we all know the naïve get used from time to time, friggen optismists...good for 'em. I mean, c'mon now, if you can't tell the guy trying to use you from his “joe” demeanor and buddy buddy approach then you had it coming...m i rite or m i rite...like Rite Aid.

I need some band-aids...and legal meds...to do illegal things withto get rid of this headache. The gov'ner got rid of my cannabis so I can't use that! Medicinal purposes my...oh look a GOD bottle!

*picks the bottle of up*

Is it half empty or half full? Who cares...let's drink it! I mean, C'mon now. Was there even a point to this...or am I just whoring for attention? I mean...I seriously need to raise me rates.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Aug 26, 2007, 11:27 PM
On 2007-08-26 21:12, Shadowpawn wrote:
Is it half empty or half full? Who cares...let's drink it! I mean, C'mon now. Was there even a point to this...or am I just whoring for attention? I mean...I seriously need to raise me rates.

If people say you talk too much you can always get a job that requires lots of talking and then who's doing wrong now!

Gas prices is also a scapegoat to fare hikes. Bridge toll hikes can't use that excuse but what can you do to those toll booth bastards?

(some people slow down/speed up to scam the poor guy behind them in the prepaid lanes with the meter you stick in your windshield area to be recorded when you pass, the picture gets taken of the car behind them, these are even bigger bastards!)

Shadowpawn
Aug 26, 2007, 11:40 PM
Bah, I want the old rate back...else I'm job hunting...again. I wish I could be an optimist and smell the roses for once...the last one I did that to pricked me...jerk.

EDIT: Grammatical error...bad.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2007-08-26 22:02 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Aug 26, 2007, 11:55 PM
Very. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

geewj
Aug 27, 2007, 12:57 AM
Cynics are half way right.

They're right in their approach, but wrong in their execution.

What do I mean?

Well, like you say about saying 'I love you'. If you mean it then show it, don't say it. If you want to be cynical about something, then at least be cynical enough about it to understand that even the act of being cynical about something gives it enough legitimacy to exist. So your disapproval of the thing in question is enough to validate it. And then this puts you at the end of the validation train, because no one is going to validate a cynic. How do you get around this? Well say you don't care, say you don't need the validation. But then neither does the thing you were bring cynical about in the first place, so again your cynicisms is purposeless. Unless you just do it cause you feel like it. Cause it makes you happy. All that jazz. But then, again, that applies the same to whatever you were being cynical about.

So the only way to truly win is to never play. That's why God doesn't come out and make floods or send saviors anymore. He learned a long time ago that silence is the best offense and defense.

Solstis
Aug 27, 2007, 01:01 PM
Cynicism is a mask used to hide insecurity, and a filter through which to pretend that ignorance is wisdom.

How can a cynic claim that what nature intended is correct? How can a cynic even believe in a phrase such as "what nature intended?"

Geewjafrink has got it right. Though, I'd like to add that there's equally no reason not to say "I love you," so you might as well say it if you have someone that you love.

Cynicism needs be involved in a cyclical nature. If you're cynical about your own cynicisms, you'll come out somewhere near guarded optimism. The happy disillusionment of enlightenment!

Disillusionment? What? Whatever.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2007-08-27 11:01 ]</font>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Aug 28, 2007, 11:50 PM
Cynicism, from the Greek word for dog, the rich folks called the poverty stricken philosophers as those that had a "dogs life."

Sorry, should have done my HW reading one day earlier!