PDA

View Full Version : AoI site update : moving comic first chapter

Arika
Aug 31, 2007, 06:02 AM
AoI site update : moving comic first chapter of "Phantom of Arkgald"
wow, first tiem for me to see this style is comic, I think it is a lot better than what I though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
btw... arkgald or (can read "arc garuto" too).. ?
Do you think this will be the name of another bad organisation other than Illuminus ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arika on 2007-08-31 04:17 ]</font>

EspioKaos
Aug 31, 2007, 06:07 AM
It's called Phantom of Arkgald.

I'm looking over the comic now, and hopefully I'll be able to get started on translating it later today -- possibly if I have any free time at work.

EDIT: <_< Let's see if I can at least spell it right this time. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EspioKaos on 2007-08-31 04:11 ]</font>

Alis-Landeel
Aug 31, 2007, 06:17 AM
It's of easy understanding.

Post-Episode1 facts from the point of view of Ethan Waber. Must see!

Sinue_v2
Aug 31, 2007, 06:47 AM
I'm not seeing it. I went to the moving comic page, and all I got was the preview trailer.

Edit: Nevermind, had to kick Firefox a few times and clear the cache. Looks good so far, a lot better than I expected it to be. Hopefully they bring the whole thing out in English as a bonus or something in AoI - kinda like the anime episodes they packed into .//hack.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-08-31 06:07 ]</font>

Ezodagrom
Aug 31, 2007, 07:32 AM
This moving comic thing looks interesting...pitty though I don't understand japanese >.>

Chibi_psu
Aug 31, 2007, 07:55 AM
Awesome...waiting for your translation EspioKaos. I always wanted to know what ethan did while we help laia

Dj_SkyEpic
Aug 31, 2007, 08:07 AM
The part where Leo gets cut and blood spews from his chest... Then afterwards there shows no signs of blood. What's up with that?

Sydz
Aug 31, 2007, 08:48 AM
On 2007-08-31 06:07, Dj_SkyEpic wrote:
The part where Leo gets cut and blood spews from his chest... Then afterwards there shows no signs of blood. What's up with that?

Trimates.

Kylie
Aug 31, 2007, 08:50 AM
Leo looked so manly. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Ugh at all the loading times and Japanese characters, but it was pretty cool for what I expected. Its just too bad that I couldn't understand any of it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

EspioKaos
Aug 31, 2007, 10:39 AM
Wonder if Leo's lack of a blast badge was accidental or on purpose? Also, anyone else notice that he now has an earring in each ear?

Anyway, chapter 1 is entitled "Beat of Evil," while the upcoming chapter 2 is called "Mysterious Message." I'm at work at the moment and I just got a set of plans (that I've been waiting on for over a week to arrive), so I've got to take care of some stuff with that first. Hopefully it won't take too long, though.

CelestialBlade
Aug 31, 2007, 11:01 AM
Geez, we get PSU "anime" that's apparently pretty good and already a dedicated translator? Hel yeh.

BanF
Aug 31, 2007, 12:48 PM
ZOMG, Leo looks so... Brokeback Mountain.

j/k

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BanF on 2007-08-31 10:48 ]</font>

Sha Sha
Aug 31, 2007, 01:36 PM
I know i cant understand it but I WANT MORE ><

EspioKaos
Aug 31, 2007, 02:56 PM
OK, now that I'm finished with the warehouse estimate I had to do earlier, I can get to work on this.

As an example, this (http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/EspioKaos/?action=view&current=arkguard_01.png) is what I'm aiming for. I'd like to take each panel and just type in my translations so the comic can be read with the illustrations as opposed to going back and forth between pictures and a separate text file. Of course, I want this to look great, and since I don't have a way to faithfully duplicate the transparency of the speech bubbles over the backgrounds (since I'll be taking out the Japanese text to replace with English), I may have to spend some extra time on the bubbles to "pretty" them up some. As such, the translation will come first and I'll try to do the actual images later. Well, let's get things rolling.

(Oh, and in case no one's noticed yet, the Japanese site actually lists part of the comic's name in English. I originally thought it was "Arkgald," but apparently it's "Arkguard" as displayed by the site's prologue.)

Phantom of Arkguard - Chapter 1: Beat of Evil

This story takes place in a far away location...

The Gurhal system, where there exist four races living among three planets, had fallen victim to a large-scale attack by a mysterious life form known as the SEED.

Through the help of the planetary defense organization GUARDIANS, the threat of the SEED was thought to have been neutralized...

However, a new threat has surfaced...

Phantasy Star Universe: Phantom of Arkguard

One month after the assault on the HIVE, Parum has been the victim of numerous terrorist bombings.

Parum's police force, requesting the cooperation of the GUARDIANS, began a search for an anti-CAST organization.
Ethan Waber, a member of the GUARDIANS, along with Leogini Santosa Berafort, head to Parum's Holtes City...

--

Let me stop for a moment. I'm actually going to be heading home very shortly, so I'll have to continue from there. That will actually be for the better, anyway, because I would like to be able to reference my kanji dictionary on a few things just to make sure I'm giving an accurate translation. So, more to come after while! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

BanF
Aug 31, 2007, 03:01 PM
Well, what program are you using?

You could extract the speech bubbles, and put them on their own layer with their own transparency. Then for each panel you capture a frame that has no speech bubbles in it, so you don't have to erase anything, just put the layer with the appropiate bubble on top, and then another layer with the proper text above that. You'd need to capture a number of bubbles, of course, but once you have each object, you can just fill the border with different colors as needed, so you wouldn't have to capture the green bubbles, the red bubbles, etc.

EspioKaos
Aug 31, 2007, 03:05 PM
On 2007-08-31 13:01, BanF wrote:
Well, what program are you using?

You could extract the speech bubbles, and put them on their own layer with their own transparency. Then for each panel you capture a frame that has no speech bubbles in it, so you don't have to erase anything, just put the layer with the appropiate bubble on top, and then another layer with the proper text above that. You'd need to capture a number of bubbles, of course, but once you have each object, you can just fill the border with different colors as needed, so you wouldn't have to capture the green bubbles, the red bubbles, etc.

I'm just using MS Paint. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif I don't have anything on my work (or home) computer that would let me do all of that. But, maybe someone else would be willing to? We could make it a collaborative effort. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

BanF
Aug 31, 2007, 03:11 PM
Ah, PAINT, the old standby.

Well, if you have the photo edition skills, you could always (I don't believe I'm saying this) DL Gimp, which is a freeware open-source image editor from the guys who made Adobe Photoshop. If not, there are a lot of people here who are obviously handy with images *glares at all the people who design spiffy sigs* I might even give it a try, though my photo edition skills are rather rudimentary.

KTani
Aug 31, 2007, 03:16 PM
On 2007-08-31 13:11, BanF wrote:
Ah, PAINT, the old standby.

Well, if you have the photo edition skills, you could always (I don't believe I'm saying this) DL Gimp, which is a freeware open-source image editor from the guys who made Adobe Photoshop. If not, there are a lot of people here who are obviously handy with images *glares at all the people who design spiffy sigs* I might even give it a try, though my photo edition skills are rather rudimentary.

I just want to point out that The GIMP is not made or endorsed by Adobe (The Photoshop people). I have used both The GIMP and Photoshop, and can say that The GIMP is an adequete replacement for Photoshop. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Make sure you download an extractor program though, and not the source files, unless you can actually compile them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Zorafim
Aug 31, 2007, 06:46 PM
PSU's story could be done like this from now on, and I wouldn't complain. The art is beautiful (very Sega), and the music goes well. It reminds me of how the Phantasy Star cutsceens were done.

EspioKaos
Aug 31, 2007, 07:39 PM
Finally done. Here's the complete script without action prompts. I plan on working on adding this to the actual panels soon.

--

Our story takes place in a far-away location...

The Gurhal system, where four races live among three planets, was invaded and attacked by a mysterious life form known as the SEED.

Through the involvement of the planetary defense organization, the GUARDIANS, the SEED threat was believed to have passed...

However, a new road to downfall is being trodden.

Phantasy Star Universe: Phantom of Arkguard

One month after the assault on the HIVE, Parum has fallen victim to numerous terrorist bombings. Parum's police force, requesting the assistance of the GUARDIANS, began an investigation in the criminal activities of an anti-CAST organization.

Ethan Waber, along with Leogini Santosa Berafort, head to Parum's Holtes City.

Holtes City

CHAPTER 1
Beat of Evil

LEO: This is Leo.

LEO: The target is headed that way.

ETHAN: Understood.

ETHAN: Target confirmed. I'm in pursuit!

ETHAN: He's taking the back way!

ETHAN: Just where does he think he's going...?

ETHAN: He's entering the building.

ETHAN: I'm going to arrest him.

LEO: No, wait!

ETHAN: Why?

LEO: You're being too hasty!

LEO: Wait until I get there.

ETHAN: Gah!

LEO: At the most recent bombing site...

LEO: ...it's possible that there were multiple terrorists...

LEO: ...so it would be wise to use caution.

ETHAN: ...

ETHAN: Understood!

ETHAN: Who would've thought we'd be going after terrorists after taking out the SEED?

LEO: And from that comes frequent racial disputes.

LEO: Our enemies aren't just from outside, they're on the inside, too.

ETHAN: The Parum police don't seem to be helping much...

LEO: This isn't the only problem they have to deal with, ya know?

ETHAN: Alright, I'm taking him down!

LEO: Hey, hey! Don't rush in there by yourself!

ETHAN: Alright, I heard you!

ETHAN: There he is!

LEO: What's the situation?

ETHAN: He seems to be setting a bomb...

ETHAN: Jump him?

LEO: He vanished!!
ETHAN: He's gone!!

ETHAN: Leo!

???: Time to die...

ETHAN: How did he hit me...?

???: HAAAAAA!

ETHAN: Leo, you OK?

LEO: Yeah... just a scratch.

???: HAAAAAAA!

LEO: Ethan!

ETHAN: The bomb! Hurry!

LEO: Oh, yeah!

LEO: Let's see... Bomb, bomb...

LEO: There it is!!

LEO: Now's not the time to be nervous...

ETHAN: Guh!

LEO: Oh, man... which one is it?

ETHAN: Leo! If you don't hurry, it's gonna explode!

LEO: Gotta hurry...

LEO: This one!

LEO: Phew...

LEO: I did it, Ethan!!

ETHAN: Must've pulled the detonator. Good work!

ETHAN: Are you the only one here?

???: Ha ha ha ha ha...

LEO: Why are you laughing...?

???: You lose...

???: Your end is near...

ETHAN: You...

ETHAN: What did you say...?

???: This goes deeper than you think...

???: The civilization of Gurhal will soon crumble!!

ETHAN: Civilization... crumble?

LEO: Ethan! Look out!!

LEO: Suicide bomber...

LEO: Didn't leave a trace of evidence...

ETHAN: ...

Next episode:
Mysterious Message

Zorafim
Aug 31, 2007, 07:43 PM
Wow. That was actually half way decent.

Thank you for your work, I hope you continue translating these.

EspioKaos
Aug 31, 2007, 07:48 PM
On 2007-08-31 17:43, Zorafim wrote:
Wow. That was actually half way decent.

Thank you for your work, I hope you continue translating these.

Not a problem. I'll definitely keep translating as new chapters are released. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Arika
Aug 31, 2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks for your work http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Anduril
Aug 31, 2007, 08:25 PM
I love you EspioKaos. (In a totally non-creepy manner)
Thank you for your work on translating that.
I'm so glad that we are getting a good look at the events that are currently missing between Ep.1 and Ep.2. Can't wait to see all of these chapters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anduril on 2007-08-31 18:26 ]</font>

Immortal44
Aug 31, 2007, 08:34 PM
Woot! someone translated it. I have Flash and could make a flash version with pictures and music and stuff. Would I be alowed to use your translation for it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Immortal44 on 2007-08-31 18:36 ]</font>

EspioKaos
Aug 31, 2007, 08:42 PM
On 2007-08-31 18:34, Immortal44 wrote:
Woot! someone translated it. I have Flash and could make a flash version with pictures and music and stuff. Would I be alowed to use your translation for it?

Awesome! Yeah, you can use my translation. Credit in the final product would also be appreciated. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Also, let me know if you need any help getting the right lines in the right frames. It may not always be so obvious.

AC9breaker
Aug 31, 2007, 08:46 PM
On 2007-08-31 18:34, Immortal44 wrote:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Immortal44 on 2007-08-31 18:36 ]</font>

Sweet thats gonna be great. Once again the Fan community shines. looking forward to seeing you and Espio do these versions. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AC9breaker on 2007-08-31 18:47 ]</font>

BanF
Aug 31, 2007, 09:10 PM
So someone is doing the graphics? Neat, now I don't have to.

Sha Sha
Aug 31, 2007, 09:21 PM
Man i was trying to translate but i keep running into problems with kanji >< that and i read at a like 1st grade level in japanese >< might be lower then that ><

Immortal44
Sep 1, 2007, 02:36 AM
Im a third finished all the pictures and stuff. The music is going to be the difficult part (syncing it with the images mainly) does anyone know if the background music is from the original PSU soundtrack or is it new AOI music?

EspioKaos
Sep 1, 2007, 08:43 AM
On 2007-09-01 00:36, Immortal44 wrote:
Im a third finished all the pictures and stuff. The music is going to be the difficult part (syncing it with the images mainly) does anyone know if the background music is from the original PSU soundtrack or is it new AOI music?

Most of the BGM is from the original game, but there still are a few new songs in there.

Parn
Sep 1, 2007, 09:14 AM
I didn't hear any new songs in there, but I did notice that the music is playing back at the wrong frequency in several scenes. Scenes 8 through 11 for example, was "RELICS - Awakening -" but playing back at a lower frequency. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but a similar problem shows up with all the BGM on the official Eternal Sonata website. All the music plays back at a lower frequency than what I hear on my copy of the soundtrack of the game.

Anyone know the name of the artist? I ask since it's the same style used in Phantasy Star Generation 2, maybe someone has a lead. I'm a sucker for art.

Esufer
Sep 1, 2007, 09:19 AM
It looks very similar to the Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel that was released on PSP.

I hope they release a compilation of this on XBL as downloadable content. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

EspioKaos
Sep 1, 2007, 09:35 AM
On 2007-09-01 07:14, Parn wrote:
I didn't hear any new songs in there, but I did notice that the music is playing back at the wrong frequency in several scenes. Scenes 8 through 11 for example, was "RELICS - Awakening -" but playing back at a lower frequency. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but a similar problem shows up with all the BGM on the official Eternal Sonata website. All the music plays back at a lower frequency than what I hear on my copy of the soundtrack of the game.

Anyone know the name of the artist? I ask since it's the same style used in Phantasy Star Generation 2, maybe someone has a lead. I'm a sucker for art.

I have no idea who the artist is. It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on the site.

Yeah, I noticed the "RELICS - Awakening -" thing, too. (Actually, it fit pretty well with the fight scene, I thought.) The clip of "Overture" at the beginning seems fine as well as "Uneasiness" and "Tension." "Mistery" is a little distorted, though. I just went back and listened to all of the music; guess I was mistaken. I could've sworn that there was one new song played toward the end of the comic. Oops. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

PrinceBrightstar
Sep 1, 2007, 11:32 AM
I was going to make a version myself as well based on your translation. But, I don't think there's anyway possible to keep the same transparancy because of the moving images behind it. I see only two options, non-transparant bubbles or subtitles. (This being unless Immortal44 up there can figure out a way to do it.)

As for the music I can fix that I think.

Immortal44
Sep 1, 2007, 02:13 PM
Im done the images and text, just adding in the music and sound effects now. I only have one problem, once Im finish how can I post this on the web so that everyone can view it. I tryed geocities a week or so ago when I was doing some other flash stuff but it kept turning into a broken link. Anyone have any ideas? If not Ill try geocities again.

Parn
Sep 1, 2007, 02:20 PM
How large are the files? I can host it if you like, depending on how large it all is. Can set up an FTP account for you to upload it and all that jazz.

Immortal44
Sep 1, 2007, 02:25 PM
right now it is only 2MB I only have to add three more songs, then it will probably be around 3.5MB

Parn
Sep 1, 2007, 02:30 PM
That definitely sounds reasonable. I've got plenty of bandwidth to spare... I'll send you a PM with login details in a few minutes.

Immortal44
Sep 1, 2007, 03:11 PM
Woot! Im finished, Im just putting in a couple of finishing touches. Its not exactly like the original but its as close as I could make it. some of the sound effects I could not transfer over because there was background music playing at the same time and it would have sounded really bad.

Immortal44
Sep 1, 2007, 04:23 PM
k, um the instructions that you sent me where confusing, so I tryed uploading to geocities, can anyone tell me if they can see this
http://www.geocities.com/psucomic/Phantom.swf

Note: I tried it and it works if you save it to your computer (right click "save target as"). but if you dont have flash youll have to try and open the saved file in a web browser like internet explorer or firefox. (I recommend firefox, IE would load it for some reason)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Immortal44 on 2007-09-01 14:28 ]</font>

Parn
Sep 1, 2007, 04:32 PM
Doesn't work I'm afraid, at least for me. I'm guessing you don't use FTP software, so can you email it to me as an attachment to [email protected] so I can go ahead and upload it?

Immortal44
Sep 1, 2007, 05:50 PM
On 2007-09-01 14:32, Parn wrote:
Doesn't work I'm afraid, at least for me. I'm guessing you don't use FTP software, so can you email it to me as an attachment to [email protected] so I can go ahead and upload it?

k, I emailed it to you, let me know when you upload it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Immortal44 on 2007-09-01 15:51 ]</font>

Parn
Sep 1, 2007, 08:18 PM
It's uploaded. http://psucomic.synbios.net/

If that doesn't work for some reason, http://synbios.net/psucomic/

Nicely done.

PsyGuy
Sep 2, 2007, 04:35 AM
Excellent work guys! thank u thank u thank u!

does anyone have the clean artwork that they could possibly upload? i love some of these pictures.

Immortal44
Sep 3, 2007, 12:22 PM
this moving comic story is much more intense and then the in game stories have been thus far. I wonder if AOI's story mode will be similar to this. (they said something about making changes to the way the story works) And I wonder if the comic will tell us what happens to ethan between ep1 and ep2. Cause so far they really havent said in the online story.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Immortal44 on 2007-09-03 10:24 ]</font>

EspioKaos
Sep 3, 2007, 06:07 PM
On 2007-09-03 10:22, Immortal44 wrote:
And I wonder if the comic will tell us what happens to ethan between ep1 and ep2. Cause so far they really havent said in the online story.

Actually, that is exactly what Phantom of Arkguard will do. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Arika
Sep 4, 2007, 06:02 AM
EspioKaos

I sent you a PM asking soemthign about Jp language

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arika on 2007-09-04 04:03 ]</font>

MushiKuro
Sep 4, 2007, 05:57 PM
I think will be great if i can read the Comic, i think ENG PSU will translate for us =3

See ya!

X.X

EspioKaos
Sep 4, 2007, 06:10 PM
On 2007-09-04 15:57, MushiKuro wrote:
I think will be great if i can read the Comic, i think ENG PSU will translate for us =3

See ya!

X.X

Except... I've already translated it, so... why can't you read it?

dragoon-girl
Sep 5, 2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the translation guys. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
I'm really looking forward to what happens in this. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Guess there's no date on Chapter 2?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragoon-girl on 2007-09-05 08:56 ]</font>

Zorafim
Sep 5, 2007, 01:27 PM
Should be weekly, right? AoI comes out pretty soon for JPland.

HaydenX
Sep 5, 2007, 06:22 PM
Does anyone else seriously want the photon throwing knives? I know I do. they could be like...really highly damaging, one use weapons.

SuperChoco
Sep 5, 2007, 09:57 PM
Does anyone else seriously want the photon throwing knives? I know I do. they could be like...really highly damaging, one use weapons. I would like this idea, making a new class for throwing weapons(Wartranser?). Anyways nice job guys, when is the next one coming out?

Zorafim
Sep 5, 2007, 09:58 PM
They're called slicers, we're already getting them.

Syl
Sep 5, 2007, 09:59 PM
On 2007-09-05 16:22, HaydenX wrote:
Does anyone else seriously want the photon throwing knives? I know I do. they could be like...really highly damaging, one use weapons.

But we have those already, they're called cards http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

(yes they are throwing blades that home in, dont forget the eventual slicer either.)

Arika
Sep 6, 2007, 09:39 AM
Do any1 know what is the update for AoI this week? because they update every week

EspioKaos
Sep 6, 2007, 05:12 PM
On 2007-09-05 11:27, Zorafim wrote:
Should be weekly, right? AoI comes out pretty soon for JPland.

That's what I'm thinking. Of course, if any of the events they go into with Arkguard bleed into the upcoming Episode 3, they might stretch the release of each chapter out until Episode 3 begins being released online.

On 2007-09-06 07:39, Arika wrote:
Do any1 know what is the update for AoI this week? because they update every week

We'll know when they update tonight.

Only thing I know for certain is that a new movie will be added since there's a space dated for tomorrow in the movies section.