PDA

View Full Version : PSU: Would PSU have been better, if it was released on the P

Zantra
Sep 1, 2007, 05:24 AM
This is kind of a double question...

The first question, is obviously...

"Do you think that PSU, would have been an all around better, and more polished game, if Sega had waited, and released it on the PS3, instead of the PS2?"

And, the second "bonus" question is...

"If Sega had developed PSU for the PS2, PC, and PS3 (instead of for the Xbox 360), and it meant that all 3 versions (PS2/PS3/PC) would be able to play together on the same servers, would you have rather had Sega port PSU to the PS3 instead of the Xbox 360, and why?

I'm looking forward, to everyone's answers.

Kion
Sep 1, 2007, 05:39 AM
why are there two questions and only one way to answer both ways? kion is confused...

i don't think PSU would be any better on PS3. PS2 is not great, but it's powerful enough. it's more that ST didn't do a very good job balancing it on the platform. PS3 wouldn't be any improvement over the xbox 360, not to mention that's there's no good games for ps3 yet, so it's not a very common and still expensive console that no one has.

what puzzles me is why the servers. 360 is separated from PC even tho PSU only runs on windows. i guess it's so it doesn't interfere with xbox live, but still it's like micorsoft doesn't have faith in their own product. And the game wasn't released for wii even tho PSO was insanely popular on the gamecube.

Zantra
Sep 1, 2007, 06:22 AM
The poll question, is the thread title...

Sasamichan
Sep 1, 2007, 06:33 AM
PSU would have been better if PSU was able to load on the Hard Drive instead of the disk. Thank you SONY for fucking up the PS2. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

Chibi_psu
Sep 1, 2007, 07:05 AM
American users alway forget that sony didnt sell the hard drive in europe...

Yunfa
Sep 1, 2007, 07:16 AM
Regarding to ur "bonus question," You mentioned that the PC, PS2 and PS3 servers are together, thats just lame. In my humble opinion, the PC version ruined the PS2/PC servers w/ lame haxeseta, and everyone u look at has full palletes of A ranks, and S ranks. Just look at the trade section, theres d0/che-bags whos offering 99million meseta for 2 s ranks. The main reason i quit PS2 version. Blah

However if the PS3 Server was linked up to the x-box 360, now thats a different story. >:D
- And to answer ur main question w/ everything else aside, YES the game would be better on PS3 when compared TO pc / ps2

GreenArcher
Sep 1, 2007, 07:28 AM
That's how the economy is, but I guess anyone who adjusts to the economy on the PC/PS2 side is a "d0/che-bag"? -_-

S Ranks are hard to obtain over here too, so shush.

Sasamichan
Sep 1, 2007, 07:47 AM
On 2007-09-01 05:16, Yunfa wrote:
In my humble opinion, the Hax n00bs ruined the PS2/PC servers w/ lame haxeseta, and everyone u look at has full palletes of A ranks, and S ranks.

Fixed.

Rashiid
Sep 1, 2007, 07:48 AM
sorry; all i got outta that was the server merge.

BANHAMMA!!!!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Mayu
Sep 1, 2007, 08:19 AM
~Huggles haxeta

Control the idiots
Control the economy

and your fine http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Esufer
Sep 1, 2007, 08:32 AM
No, I don't think it would have.

Both people that own PS3s have only bought it for Resistance: Fall of Gears of Man Wars.

Zorafim
Sep 1, 2007, 08:38 AM
Considering how much meseta is lost soloing as a fF, a couple mil of haxeta is rather nice to have around.

Sinue_v2
Sep 1, 2007, 08:57 AM
Yeah, it's undeniable that PSU would have been better if designed with next-generation consoles and PC's in mind. However, that still doesn't address the issue of the overall blandness of constantly reused areas with hardly any unique variation or character. Not to mention that Sonic Team still designed the game, it seems, with the concept that we're all 14 year old 4-Kids watchers. The series is almost 20 years old, so you'd think they'd mature the series a little bit. Those of us who started this adventure with Alis are starting to enter our 30's. Those who started following Rico into the ruins are starting to enter their 20's.

I'm not saying that Phantasy Star should turn into Grand Theft Floader or anything, but it'd be nice if the series grew with it's audience a bit.

Don't bother responding, I'm just tired and typing what comes to mind... ot...[/rant]

Kylie
Sep 1, 2007, 09:53 AM
I say no simply because a lot people wouldn't have gotten it (including me). That it was released on a console I already had played a huge role in me getting PSU... I wouldn't mind it if they made a PS3 version that had better graphics that's available when I eventually get one, but chances are they won't. Plus, I have nothing against the 360 people or PSU being on there, so it doesn't bother me. Live and let live!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kylie on 2007-09-01 07:54 ]</font>

BanF
Sep 1, 2007, 11:54 AM
In general, it's a bad move for companies to limit themselves to one or two consoles; a lot of cash must be offered by the console company wishing to have the monopoly, and as it has been shown by franchises like Ninja Gaiden and Metal Gear, sometimes no amount of money is enough. In PSU's case in particular, PSO was not a bad seller for the original Xbox, so not having PSU would have meant forsaking a user base that was already there, and considering the way Xbox users outnumber PS2 ones, it would have been a rather catastrophic move for SEGA.

Now, while I don't think PSU on the PS3 would have looked any better than in the PS2, I believe it would have been a helpful launch title for the console; as it is, the console is still struggling, though maybe now that a lot of companies are getting behind SONY's BRD, it will sell better.

As for the servers being separate, SEGA and GG have consistently proven their servers of being incredibly insecure and easy to hack, and so until they take security seriously a merger with the LIVE servers won't happen; Note that SE's FF servers are able to connect with LIVE's, and other upcoming MMORPGs for 360/PC will have the ability, too, so it's only a matter of SEGA deciding to put the cash into upgrading. Of course, it might not see this as profitable, and so far nothing has been done, so the PC/PS2 servers keep being hacked every three or four months.

Zorak000
Sep 1, 2007, 11:55 AM
If it were developed 360 exclusively, with PS2/PC being added later (reverse of how it actually happened) then it might have been better

Broodstar1337
Sep 1, 2007, 12:16 PM
Release times on different consoles wouldn't have made a difference. The only thing that could've made PSU better is Sonic Team themselves.

Fredrick
Sep 1, 2007, 12:28 PM
^Seriously

When PSO came out, it was ahead of it's time as far as graphics. PSU is already outdated. The more I think about it, the more I dislike PSU. It's very unusual that they would completely change the formula when the old one was nearly perfect. The Pokemon formula is also really good. And guess what... IT STAYS THE SAME.

I think the Japanese game industry in general has reached a plateau. I mean just take a look at the hottest games. They're American. Just a few years ago people would have scoffed at the idea of America leading the game industry. And it's not even just the games. Toyota's and Honda's quality has been slipping. Toyota is #2 this year for the most recalls. GM and Ford are below #10.

Japan is losing it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fredrick on 2007-09-01 10:36 ]</font>

Complex_Jao
Sep 1, 2007, 01:45 PM
PS3 SUX

Serephim
Sep 2, 2007, 09:24 AM
On 2007-09-01 03:24, Zantra wrote:
This is kind of a double question...

The first question, is obviously...

"Do you think that PSU, would have been an all around better, and more polished game, if Sega had waited, and released it on the PS3, instead of the PS2?"

And, the second "bonus" question is...

"If Sega had developed PSU for the PS2, PC, and PS3 (instead of for the Xbox 360), and it meant that all 3 versions (PS2/PS3/PC) would be able to play together on the same servers, would you have rather had Sega port PSU to the PS3 instead of the Xbox 360, and why?

I'm looking forward, to everyone's answers.

Nope.

They would go bankrupt because no one has/wants a ps3 and it sucks.

Sorry if i sound like an Anti-Sony fanboy, but im actully talking from statistics here.

It would run no better on PS3 than on 360.

Dragwind
Sep 2, 2007, 11:23 AM
I agree. I don't think it would have been any different.

Sexy_Raine
Sep 2, 2007, 05:09 PM
It wouldn't matter to me either way, but if they did it for both, then that's fine too.

Skye-Fox713
Sep 2, 2007, 06:07 PM
On 2007-09-01 06:57, Sinue_v2 wrote:
The series is almost 20 years old, so you'd think they'd mature the series a little bit. Those of us who started this adventure with Alis are starting to enter our 30's. Those who started following Rico into the ruins are starting to enter their 20's.

I'm not saying that Phantasy Star should turn into Grand Theft Floader or anything, but it'd be nice if the series grew with it's audience a bit.

I agree with this because for one thing i started on PSO game cube and that was great, because i started playing it when I was about 13 or 14 and i played it up till about a month before PSU came out. Now that I'm 19 it would be nice to see the series mature a bit, like in the dialog for the story mode would have helped. (it would have been nice to hear the story characters say 'dam', 'dammit', or 'crap' in some spots that would be appropriate.)

although i don't think that psu would have been any better on the ps3 than the 360, but if is was on ps3 then the ps3/ps2/pc servers would probably be all linked together.
although on a side note I've always wondered what psu would be like if sega used the latest unreal game engine.

-Rune-
Sep 2, 2007, 06:19 PM
All I woul say is, first off PS3 is still pretty new to the field and I for one don't hav money to shell out for a new system right now. So I'm sure with me not being alone out there, ps2's already complained about population would have been a hell of a lot less populated which ='s loss to me <.<;

Sinue_v2
Sep 2, 2007, 06:21 PM
Now that I'm 19 it would be nice to see the series mature a bit, like in the dialog for the story mode would have helped. (it would have been nice to hear the story characters say 'dam', 'dammit', or 'crap' in some spots that would be appropriate.)

They do sporadically say Damn! and a few other soft-core expletives, but that's not my point. I mean the overall tone and atmosphere of the game. PSII, for example, was designed for a kids market - but the story remains pointedly more mature than PSU's because it doesn't pull many punches with the tragedy and the state of affairs in Algol. It has plenty of light and anime inspired moments, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

PS has always been inspired by the works of SciFi greats like H.G. Wells, George Lucas, Issac Asimov, as well as horror authors like H.P. Lovecraft. PSU seems inspired by... well... Naruto. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif Rather than being original, it embraces the cliche. One of the defining characteristics of Phantasy Star had always been the merging of polar opposite ideals. Western and Eastern culture and mythology, high-fantasy and science fiction. That's largely gone now, and replaced with just generic sci-fi anime concepts.

Jet1337
Sep 2, 2007, 06:30 PM
This game needs a serious graphical upgrade. The character models are shit. They don't even hold rifles the right way!

omegatheory
Sep 2, 2007, 06:37 PM
I think that PSU would be a better game if all 3 systems could interact instead of just PC/PS2 and 360 alone...

Apone
Sep 2, 2007, 07:58 PM
Theoretically you can play PSU on PS3 due to the backwards compatibilty.
PSU is trapped by the limitations of the of the made for PS2 game engine so it wouldnt look better on a PS3 anymore than on 360. The architecture of the PS3 has been notoriously tricky so far, madden at 30fps compared to 360s 60fps, its just too new.

-Ryuki-
Sep 2, 2007, 08:57 PM
If the PS3 got a 360 port, it'd be fine. Graphics are good, framerate, etc etc.

Other than that, I don't really know what to say.

pikachief
Sep 2, 2007, 10:41 PM
I would imagine them giving us actual downloadable updates if they all had hard-drives like PS2 360 and PC http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

then we may get our $10 worth XD

Jinto117
Sep 2, 2007, 11:57 PM
Let's just put it this way. PSU would have been better if it was made for the PC and 360 and/or PS3 from the ground up instead of the PS2. PC's and the next-gen consoles are capable of much more graphic wise and so forth. Sega tailored the game for the PS2 because of the PS2's mass install base. When it comes to the PC and 360 versions, the best they have to offer over the PS2 version is a higher resolution and smoother frame rate. So if you ask me, yeah, PSU could have been better. Assuming it was made from the ground up for next-gen consoles.

D1ABOLIK
Sep 3, 2007, 12:47 AM
On 2007-09-01 09:54, BanF wrote:
In general, it's a bad move for companies to limit themselves to one or two consoles; a lot of cash must be offered by the console company wishing to have the monopoly, and as it has been shown by franchises like Ninja Gaiden and Metal Gear, sometimes no amount of money is enough. In PSU's case in particular, PSO was not a bad seller for the original Xbox, so not having PSU would have meant forsaking a user base that was already there, and considering the way Xbox users outnumber PS2 ones, it would have been a rather catastrophic move for SEGA.

Now, while I don't think PSU on the PS3 would have looked any better than in the PS2, I believe it would have been a helpful launch title for the console; as it is, the console is still struggling, though maybe now that a lot of companies are getting behind SONY's BRD, it will sell better.

As for the servers being separate, SEGA and GG have consistently proven their servers of being incredibly insecure and easy to hack, and so until they take security seriously a merger with the LIVE servers won't happen; Note that SE's FF servers are able to connect with LIVE's, and other upcoming MMORPGs for 360/PC will have the ability, too, so it's only a matter of SEGA deciding to put the cash into upgrading. Of course, it might not see this as profitable, and so far nothing has been done, so the PC/PS2 servers keep being hacked every three or four months.

Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!!! We have a winner.Couldnt of said it better.Im on 360 and i dont want a merger unless all the security problems on the PC/PS2 servers are fixed and,(im gonna get hated for this one),all the haxeta in the economy was deleted from the server.

________
California Medical Marijuana Dispensary (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

Jet1337
Sep 3, 2007, 07:19 AM
Even if the security problems were fixed, it wouldn't be possible because of Xbox Live.

Serephim
Sep 3, 2007, 09:27 AM
On 2007-09-02 16:07, Skye-Fox713 wrote:

The series is almost 20 years old, so you'd think they'd mature the series a little bit. Those of us who started this adventure with Alis are starting to enter our 30's. Those who started following Rico into the ruins are starting to enter their 20's.

I agree with this because for one thing i started on PSO game cube and that was great, because i started playing it when I was about 13 or 14 and i played it up till about a month before PSU came out. Now that I'm 19 it would be nice to see the series mature a bit, like in the dialog for the story mode would have helped. (it would have been nice to hear the story characters say 'dam', 'dammit', or 'crap' in some spots that would be appropriate.)

although i don't think that psu would have been any better on the ps3 than the 360, but if is was on ps3 then the ps3/ps2/pc servers would probably be all linked together.
although on a side note I've always wondered what psu would be like if sega used the latest unreal game engine.

1) This is the problem with fanboys. Genre like Sonic the Hedgheog and Mario do NOT need to be "matured" upon. They either need to innovate or simply end.

When you try to "mature" a franchise that has ABSOLUTELY ZERO BUISNESS being serious, you end up with some pretty horrible shit. Adding "Damn!" and "Dammit!" to a game that doesnt need it? You end up with Shadow the Hedgehog, an attempt to darken a series that cannot be darkened because it lacks the capacity to. Furry Hedgehogs running around cursing every time they get hit? What the fuck? It was so horrible that it was comical.

What if Nintendo had the same mindset? What if nintendo was retarded like Sega and decides to "mature" mario? Well, they would have failed a successful franchise almost 30 years in the making because a few fanboys thought that mario needed to "grow up".

I cant stand it when good developers listen to Fanboys. Phantasy Star Universe was made for EVERYBODY, not the little 30 year old fanboys in the corner who think their characters need to curse and have sex now.

If your franchise is getting too kiddy for you, maybe you just need to maybe, i dunno, grow up? Sonic has been ruined by its 30 year old fanbase and the retarded developers who cant think of any good stories but the fanfics done by their 12 and 32 year old fanboys. Phantasy Star is fine how it is.

And please listen to yourselves. Having your characters yell "DAMN" and "FUCK" every scene does NOT make them mature. -_-;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-09-03 07:30 ]</font>

majan
Sep 3, 2007, 10:54 AM
On 2007-09-01 09:55, Zorak000 wrote:
If it were developed 360 exclusively, with PS2/PC being added later (reverse of how it actually happened) then it might have been better

he's right,and the same can be said if it were developed for the ps3 exclusively,then brought around elsewhere.the reason this game is a 'subpar' 360 game isnt because its a shitty game its because sega did a cruddy job of just picking it striaght up from the ps2 version,which obvoiusly is far inferior hardware,and just plopped it right onto the 360 and PC platforms without doing all they could to maximize the game's performance.if it were developed on the 360 or ps3 first,it would be coded to take advantage of those systems a hell of a lot more than it is now,and wed have a much better game without any slowdown or freezing or glitch bullshit.this is why I'd say that no it would make no difference if they ported this game to the ps3 because theyd do the same thing with how they ported it to the 360.they wouldnt take advantage of the ps3's far,far superior hardware compared to the ps2,and it would be another subpar game that does not even halfway take advatnage of what the next-gen systems have to offer.

but,that's sonic teams work ethic for you.besides,Im not sure if they have enough incentive to port it to the ps3 side with all the negative hits its been taking since it came out,plus the fact that it hasnt sold nearly what everybody was expecting it to do.not in any derogatory way,just stating facts.it woudl be effort for them to make another version of a game that you can already play using a ps3 anyway,and I doubt lazy doosh bag sonic team would do that,especially for the US.

omegapirate2k
Sep 3, 2007, 10:59 AM
What if it had been developed for PC/PS3 AND Xbox 360, it might actually run as well as it should.

Esufer
Sep 3, 2007, 11:01 AM
On 2007-09-03 08:59, omegapirate2k wrote:
What if it had been developed for PC/PS3 AND Xbox 360, it might actually run as well as it should.

If it had been developed for higher-end systems exclusively, I could see a "GAMES FOR VISTA" logo slapped on it.

And we don't want that.

Sinue_v2
Sep 3, 2007, 03:34 PM
And please listen to yourselves. Having your characters yell "DAMN" and "FUCK" every scene does NOT make them mature. -_-;

Wow, that went like... waaaay over your head, didn't it? And where in the hell do you get the idea that that discussion had ANYTHING to do with the Sonic franchise? Don't like cussing? Maybe you missed out, but PSU already has explicitives tossed in, not to mention PSO which had soldiers on Pioneer 2 telling you to "Eat shit and die".

I'm talking about the storylines, tone, and the atmosphere which needs to be matured. PSU has taken a the series a step DOWN in this regard. And you know... Final Fantasy seems to have done just fine maturing with it's audience, so what in gods name makes you think that maturing the Phantasy Star series is going to turn it into "Shadow the Hedgehog".

You can't be that thick as to assume that "mature" equates to "Cussing, Sex, Drugs, and Murder", can you? You know it's possible to have a pointedly mature game, and still only have content that warrants a "T" rating from the ESRB correct? I'm trying to get across the point that the Phantasy Star series has had characters with only like 5 lines of dialouge, yet still remain leagues deeper, more symbolic, and tragic than most of PSU's characters COMBINED.

In Phantasy Star II, you had the storyline play on concepts from H.G. Well's "The Time Machine". Remember the Eloi and the Morlocks? It's a similar relationship to Earthlings and Algolians, wherein the Earthlings provided everything for the Algolians and made their world into a paradise, all for the purpose of weakening them and destroying their capacity to resist. The Earthlings played the part of the Morlocks, except instead of eating the Algolians, they were content to simply destroy them and pillage their world. It was an examination of the struggle between the working class and the privileged class, and this theme was carried over to PSII.

The re-introduction of themes and concepts like that are what I'm talking when I say I'd like the series to "mature", which as I said, is going back to it's roots - not "lol, turning a kiddy series mature". What's the best theme we have in PSU really? "Believe in your own strength and you can overcome anything!?" That's like a step away from Ethan shouting "Believe it!" every 10 minuites.

Don't you see where the series might have gone a little down hill?

Go re-read my posts again, and this time try to get a perspective of what I'm talking about.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-09-03 13:52 ]</font>

Zorak000
Sep 3, 2007, 03:54 PM
On 2007-09-01 10:16, Broodstar1337 wrote:
Release times on different consoles wouldn't have made a difference. The only thing that could've made PSU better is Sonic Team themselves.

I wasnt talking about release dates. Im talking that PSU is made to run on PS2 then ported to 360. if it were made for 360 THEN ported to PS2, it may have been better

Mystil
Sep 3, 2007, 04:16 PM
Outcome would have been the same.

Dying, death, low pop.

Kent
Sep 3, 2007, 07:17 PM
Making the same game for both the PS2 and PS3 would be redundant, especially if there were no real differences between them. The fact that PSU even has a separate server for the 360, is what's really kept it alive this long, outside of Japan.

The PS3's sales, as of right now, are laughably low - and there's no way PSU would sell the systems, especially if you had the option of getting the exact same thing on a PS2. In addition to that, there wouldn't have been a "safe haven" for people to go to, in order to find a balanced and relatively unexploited gamespace (which would be the 360 servers). A move like releasing the game for the PS3 instead of the 360, would make the game die even faster than it already has.

Conversely, taken logically, the game would be in a much better position, had they chosen to forego the PS2 platform all together, and just worked on PC and 360 versions of the game. Many potential design decisions that could've given this game a lot more life are more or less nullified by the choice to use the PS2 as the base platform of the game. Good examples would be graphical quality and stability, as well as the option for downloadable content of any substantial amount. There's also potential for the game to have linked these servers together, but I believe PSU's release was a little too early for that - it also may not be a good idea to do so, but that's a completely optional thing, anyway.

Either way, if we're talking about the same exact game, just with a different playform selection, then no, it would not be possible to prevent the eventual death of PSU. Using PS3 instead of the 360 would speed it up quite a bit, whereas developing it for the 360 as the base platform would've made the game a little better in some areas (such as performance and graphical quality), but it would only postpone the inevitable by a small degree.

Skye-Fox713
Sep 3, 2007, 07:38 PM
On 2007-09-02 16:21, Sinue_v2 wrote:

I mean the overall tone and atmosphere of the game. PSII, for example, was designed for a kids market - but the story remains pointedly more mature than PSU's because it doesn't pull many punches with the tragedy and the state of affairs in Algol. It has plenty of light and anime inspired moments, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

PS has always been inspired by the works of SciFi greats like H.G. Wells, George Lucas, Issac Asimov, as well as horror authors like H.P. Lovecraft. PSU seems inspired by... well... Naruto. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif Rather than being original, it embraces the cliche. One of the defining characteristics of Phantasy Star had always been the merging of polar opposite ideals. Western and Eastern culture and mythology, high-fantasy and science fiction. That's largely gone now, and replaced with just generic sci-fi anime concepts.

Oh, ok unfortunately i have not played any of the original PS games, but now that you meant the tone of the game I agree with you. Even comparing PSO to PSU I can defiantly see that certain element laking that made PSO special to me that i can see is laking in PSU, and the fact that PSU is using elements of Sci-Fi Anime Concepts. To sum it up yes i agree with you that PSU's story is lacking that element it had by combining polar opposites.

ps. nice name drops on the authors, they have all written great stuff.

Soukosa
Sep 3, 2007, 09:16 PM
It wouldn't matter what console they put it, it'd still have issues simply because they ran out of time while developing it to get it fully optimized.

However, that still doesn't address the issue of the overall blandness of constantly reused areas with hardly any unique variation or character. Not to mention that Sonic Team still designed the game, it seems, with the concept that we're all 14 year old 4-Kids watchers. The series is almost 20 years old, so you'd think they'd mature the series a little bit. Those of us who started this adventure with Alis are starting to enter our 30's. Those who started following Rico into the ruins are starting to enter their 20's.

What MMO doesn't have a tendency to reuse areas? Most I've seen tend to only have a few areas with various formations for the map with in that. Though one could admit they could add a bit more uniqueness in spots to make it distinguish itself from the rest.

With the age thing, look at the people who started with Mario and think how old they must be, yet I'm sure they still enjoy the series. A series will stay more or less the same and won't adopt to the ages of the first generation that played it. As doing such would essentially take away from what it has. If you're worried about the filter nonsense, it's likely just a cultural thing. On the JP version I have yet to find a word that it blocks. JP people I know there only know of one word that it blocks. Blame SoA/SoE I guess http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

On 2007-09-01 09:54, BanF wrote:
and considering the way Xbox users outnumber PS2 ones, it would have been a rather catastrophic move for SEGA.

Sega's a Japanese company and thus will look at the JP market. On the JP version, PS2 players far out number the PC players and the JP version, even when not at prime time, makes the XBox version seem small when you compare the number of people on. It should also be noted that the XBox isn't very popular in Japan either. So unpopular I'm wondering if M$ slipped them a few mil to port the game to their console.

As for the servers being separate, SEGA and GG have consistently proven their servers of being incredibly insecure and easy to hack

Actually, it's more of client side security issues. The game is driven largely on the client side to help with the game experience and to help relieve stress on the servers I'm sure. So they have to use GG to help prevent people from messing with it client side. Why do they need GG? Not because they're bad programmers but because M$ themselves makes it redicously easy to tamper around with another program's memory space. I always thought the purpose of seperating programs into unique memory spaces when 32 bit windows came out was to prevent such non sense. But I guess M$ doesn't care enough. Technically, the ability to do it is for the sake of debugging programs but I don't think the end user needs that ability and they should have put in a way to prevent such things from working. But no, they don't care.

On 2007-09-01 09:55, Zorak000 wrote:

A Japanese company making a game for an unpopular american console first? *busts up laughing*

Leon634
Sep 3, 2007, 09:49 PM
u wanna take away the 360 verision? whats wrong with us? u just jealous we play in high def? and hacking is 5x harder to do here? plus ps2 is the worst system still (somehow) being played

D1ABOLIK
Sep 3, 2007, 09:59 PM
On 2007-09-03 19:49, Leon634 wrote:
u wanna take away the 360 verision? whats wrong with us? u just jealous we play in high def? and hacking is 5x harder to do here? plus ps2 is the worst system still (somehow) being played

Thats what i was thinking also.

________
Bmw r 51/3 (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_R_51/3)

Sinue_v2
Sep 3, 2007, 10:01 PM
What MMO doesn't have a tendency to reuse areas?

Ah, perhaps. However as most agreed here already, PSU is not an MMO. It's more of an online dungeon crawler. Still, aside from lobbies, most MMO's have at least special areas to visit or geography in those levels to distinguish them. For instance, in the Denes Lakes Relics there's the control center for the Confinement System. Nothing really necessary to the game, but it would have been nice to visit for photo ops. There's many instances of areas in MMO's that are special and serve no purpose other than nice scenery. Make the levels feel like we're actually exploring an area, rather than just running a random and arbitrary reskined mazes.

look at the people who started with Mario and think how old they must be, yet I'm sure they still enjoy the series.

Again, read my other posts on this matter, because I absolutely do NOT equate "Mature" with meaning "Cussing". And as said, I feel PSU has taken a step away from this direction laid down in the games I played as a kid, rather than either staying the course or becoming more mature. Furthermore, I don't think you can really compare platformers such as Mario and Sonic to something like Phantasy Star in this regard. If we were talking about Commander Keen or something, you'd have a point. Yet as said before, other RPG's have grown up with their audience and done just fine - such as Final Fantasy. Don't mistake that for saying that I want Phantasy Star to turn into Final Fantasy, no, I want it to develop and innovate along it's own path. I just want it to grow with it's audience, rather than away from them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-09-03 20:04 ]</font>

McLaughlin
Sep 3, 2007, 10:26 PM
The thing is Sounomi, had Sega done the work properly, and efficiently, there wouldn't be a need to relieve stress from the servers.

For the crack about Microsoft slipping Sega a few million, you are aware the servers are universal right? The vast majority of the 360's population plays from North America and Europe.

Speaking of Microsoft, why the hell does everyone use the dollar sign when abbreviating Microsoft? It isn't funny, it's not clever, so what the hell? You can do the same thing with $ega, $onic Team and $ony. Unless it implies that they make money, in which case you couldn't.

Kent
Sep 3, 2007, 11:11 PM
On 2007-09-03 20:26, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
Speaking of Microsoft, why the hell does everyone use the dollar sign when abbreviating Microsoft? It isn't funny, it's not clever, so what the hell? You can do the same thing with $ega, $onic Team and $ony. Unless it implies that they make money, in which case you couldn't.

I have a theory that states the dollar sign used in abbreviating Microsoft is done by people who wish to show that they have an amount of bias or hatred against them, sometimes out of jealousy, but with no real logical backing.

Sychosis
Sep 3, 2007, 11:15 PM
On 2007-09-03 21:11, Kent wrote:

On 2007-09-03 20:26, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

I have a theory that states the dollar sign used in abbreviating Microsoft is done by people who wish to show that they have an amount of bias or hatred against them, sometimes out of jealousy, but with no real logical backing.

Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Tigerram
Sep 3, 2007, 11:25 PM
People aren't buying the PS3 all that mch as we speak, but I think PSU might have given the PS3 just a tad few more sales if it was released on this system. Other than that, besides being more pretty perhaps, and may play a tad better, it would have doomed this game if it was released on PS3.

Kerschweiser
Sep 4, 2007, 03:50 AM
Personally I'm against making it exclusive, however if I had the option to dedicate some of my PS3's hard disk space to running the game off of and updating to instead of running it off the disk and psuedo-memory card that's easily corruptable, it'd make me much happier. Nothing weirds me out more than seeing everyone else PC side whacking monsters that aren't there on one end of the arena, while wondering why I'm shooting gobs of ammo into an empty corner on thier screens.

So in essence, I support my own distorted take on the original idea.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kerschweiser on 2007-09-04 01:51 ]</font>