PDA

View Full Version : B> GL from UK

Tekershee
Sep 1, 2007, 03:52 PM
How would I go about buying a PSU JP subscription from the UK?

Chuck_Norris
Sep 1, 2007, 03:55 PM
Lol at first i thought "GL" meant granade launcher.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chuck_norris on 2007-09-01 13:55 ]</font>

pikachief
Sep 1, 2007, 04:16 PM
On 2007-09-01 13:52, Tekershee wrote:

how do u get one from teh US.... lol i want the JP version now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Menochi
Sep 1, 2007, 04:28 PM

Do you already have a JPPSU account?

That goes for the both of you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Menochi on 2007-09-01 14:28 ]</font>

Tekershee
Sep 1, 2007, 04:29 PM
Yeah I played the first free period, and then I played the AoI beta so I assume its still there.

Menochi
Sep 1, 2007, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I wasn't sure if you were borrowing an account or using your own when you recorded the AoI videos.

Just register the account with a credit card and it should be active. Let me know if you need detailed instructions or whatnot.

Tekershee
Sep 1, 2007, 04:45 PM
Will a UK CC work? Would I need a JP address? Whats the site? Whats my username? Whats my password?

o.o

pikachief
Sep 1, 2007, 04:49 PM
On 2007-09-01 14:28, Menochi wrote:

Do you already have a JPPSU account?

That goes for the both of you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Menochi on 2007-09-01 14:28 ]</font>

actually i have no idea how it works, all i know is that im tired of waiting for JP updates, now i wanna have it as it comes! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

so yea a PM of all the info to importing it and setting my account up form US and all would be awesome if u can please http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Zorafim
Sep 1, 2007, 04:51 PM
I thought it meant "Good Luck".

Menochi
Sep 1, 2007, 05:16 PM
I assume a UK CC would work. And your username and password should be whatever they were before.

Unless you never bought JPPSU, and thus never got a network key?

And PM sent pika, let me know if you at least got it. I'm wondering if PMs are blocked for a day or whatever for new accounts.

pikachief
Sep 1, 2007, 05:46 PM
thank u i got the info and i will soon eb a part of the PSOW jp comunity with the expansions release! ^.^ woot

Kion
Sep 2, 2007, 01:22 AM
i'm also considdering going jp come AoI. would it be worth getting the events garanteed and the updates sooner in exchange for giving up my characters?

Menochi
Sep 2, 2007, 08:02 AM
Theres really no 'gurantee' about getting events on the JP version. Its just a matter that JP gets the event first typically, and thus they 'get them all'. Also, updates sooner shouldn't be that big of a deal either. Its just another form of e-peen for a lot of importers. (Ha! I got to play X game first before all of you!). All the important updates seem to make it to En PC/PS2 (And theoretically Xbox360....Possibly) fine, and its probably not worth the occasional my room server lags and crashes.

I play JPPSU for the community. Its easy to find groups and I have a lot of fun chatting and talking about events (world and game), the atmosphere is typically very nice, and I'm sure if you're polite the Japanese will be polite back. Just don't join any parties with JPONLY in the comments and then speak english. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Releveling characters? Really depends on you. We're soon to get yet another EXP increase mission, so you could theoretically hop on now and get some decent leveling done. But, realistically, it'd be cheaper to just wait until AoI, but that might mean its a long time for another EXP increase style mission. I find leveling to be fairly tedious when you grind up, and somewhat frustrating until you're 60+.

If you only speak english, you'll likely be limited to just the importers you find around, most of which I think stick in little groups on universe 15. So community wise, its definately much smaller than PC/PS2 in English as far as having people to communicate with. Unless you feel adventuerous and manage to find some Japanese who paid more attention to english classes in school. XD I have a friend who lives in venezuela who can't even read the katakana for the item names, yet manages to find enough English speaking people to have fun on PSOBB.

Its really up to what you're expecting to get from importing I suppose. Keep in mind that about the only English you'll typically see is Lv, EXP, thx, and the occasional Japanese who likes english but doesn't know enough words for solid conversation. So for ease of getting around, its preferential (Though not necessary since I know importers who can't read and just guess by the icon and star rarity) to at least learn katakana at the basic. More if you're willing. Online games should be more about playing and communicating with others rather than locked up solo looking for that one rare.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Menochi on 2007-09-02 06:05 ]</font>

White_Mage
Sep 2, 2007, 08:35 AM
i was also thinking about changing to the jp servers lol

Menochi
Sep 2, 2007, 08:45 AM
I have no problem with helping people get setup or get info on how, as long as they're fully aware of what to expect, and aren't doing it just to play AoI first. As its a bit of a waste of our time and your money if you're just playing for a month or two and then quitting. Since most people here would have to relevel charcters back to 80ish, not to mention relevel PAs, it just becomes a bit of tediousness in my opinion.

PALRAPPYS
Sep 2, 2007, 08:58 AM
I was also considering moving to the JP servers, but also keeping my current account as well.

If I ever did get the JP version, would having Windows Vista be a problem?

Menochi
Sep 2, 2007, 09:53 AM
On 2007-09-02 06:58, PALRAPPYS wrote:
I was also considering moving to the JP servers, but also keeping my current account as well.

If I ever did get the JP version, would having Windows Vista be a problem?

Vista 32 bit works fine with PSU as long as you don't modify the files, move them, etc, after installing. It also needs to be run as administrator.

http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/support/faq/pc/faq_68.html

Japanese faq regarding if PSU can run on windows vista.

pikachief
Sep 2, 2007, 10:30 AM
On 2007-09-02 06:45, Menochi wrote:
I have no problem with helping people get setup or get info on how, as long as they're fully aware of what to expect, and aren't doing it just to play AoI first. As its a bit of a waste of our time and your money if you're just playing for a month or two and then quitting. Since most people here would have to relevel charcters back to 80ish, not to mention relevel PAs, it just becomes a bit of tediousness in my opinion.

most RPG's i like starting new files cuz i like the feeling of bieng a nob, yet knowing what do http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif i also like going through everything quicker and making less mistakes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I played the JP AOI beta just fine, the full thing shouldn't be much different!(japanese would help though so i know what new stuff im buying http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

Kion
Sep 2, 2007, 02:33 PM
On 2007-09-02 06:02, Menochi wrote:

If you only speak english, you'll likely be limited to just the importers you find around, most of which I think stick in little groups on universe 15. So community wise, its definately much smaller than PC/PS2 in English as far as having people to communicate with. Unless you feel adventuerous and manage to find some Japanese who paid more attention to english classes in school. XD I have a friend who lives in venezuela who can't even read the katakana for the item names, yet manages to find enough English speaking people to have fun on PSOBB.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z88/kion_01/ja.jpg

i've tried writing japanese on the forums before and it didn't work. ^bad quality, had to cut it from MS paint. I wouldn't be limited to the english peaking poplution.

Menochi
Sep 2, 2007, 09:24 PM
Yeah, just knowing daily words is more than enough to get by. Even without perfect grammar you'll typically be understood fine.

Though at that point, its up to you. I don't have much experience with the English release of PSU, but going off of rumors and whatnot:

You'll find plenty more people, more open groups, and more people willing to run different missions outside of hotspots (Except those typically looking for drops there or xp to get up to the S/S2 level)

You won't be able to do or participate in some things. Unless you live in Japan. Net cafe exclusive quests/items, real world item giveaways (Unless you have a friend in Japan who'll redirect anything you get). You can always ask a friend who is going to a netcafe to get the exclusive items, buy them from player shops, and/or hope that someone in the lobby is offering to go get them for a small meseta cost (I haven't tried these, but haven't heard much about people being scammed yet)

The obvious fact that the version has been going on a while already, so you'll be missing out (unless you spend a few mil or don't care) on all the exclusive items given out for the events so far.

On the bright side, weapons are cheap, some S ranks are cheap (under 1 mil) and bunami (HSM) still has a decent amount of people during peak hours so you can get a quick foothold without too much effort.

Waiting till AoI or rushing a 'greatest hits' edition of PSU is up to you, as the fiesta offers greatly increased xp levels to help you level up. Its unsure when the next one is, and it ends on AoI release day.

If you think the fairly larger, more open community is worth the restart of your characters, by all means. Just save up 4-5 mil on JP to replace your twins. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

pikachief
Sep 2, 2007, 09:39 PM
yea i like the JP support better, thats y im switching mainly. Also i love their update set, im not there because of getting updates first, im there for the order of updates, teh good support and i cant wait for AOI XD

Sekani
Sep 2, 2007, 11:30 PM
The grass doesn't look that much greener from over here.

Just saying.

pikachief
Sep 2, 2007, 11:33 PM
ehh idk also my friend already ordered it, so im gonna join him.

or at least hes planning on ordering it

Kion
Sep 3, 2007, 12:08 AM
grammar is not my strong point http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif, but normally i dont have too much of a problem being understood in japanese. it's going to depend on famitsu and fiesta whether i import or not. not getting those events will make me completely loose confidence in NA support.

Menochi
Sep 3, 2007, 12:55 AM
On 2007-09-02 21:30, Sekani wrote:
The grass doesn't look that much greener from over here.

Just saying.

Lets see, on JPPSU, you can expect to deal with:

My Room lagging horridly, taking over 30 seconds to get to another players room (sometimes as long to just access your own items). This can happen at any irregular interval, though its more common during 'peak' hours.

The famous 'ichiro'(Japanese baseball player, number 51) error. aka, error 51 (Server error). Problems logging in happen from time to time, assumably more frequent than English PSU. Common enough that it has its own nickname.

There are still rude players. Not so much in the way of spamming, but if you ever end up with a player who is an obvious moron, don't be surprised if everyone makes up an excuse to leave the party at the end of a mission except that one player, and then find them merely minutes later regrouped without that person. If you think two-faced people are bad in English, you ain't seen what Japanese are capable of.

Don't call rares in a pug, even if you've been doing the mission with the same people a couple times. Its impolite, and might end up making you the victim above.

If you don't speak Japanese, you can at least understand party comments that say JPONLY. They're fairly common in busy areas. I've been given different reasons for it. Some people just can't stand foreigners, whether you can speak the language or not. And if they see you using something that isn't Japanese (outside of thx, congratulations, or other similar 'common' phrases) you'll likely get a boot.

Taxis (soon to be obselete with AoI) are very convenient, join the party, warp to any lobby on that planet. For a while, they were open without a pass. In the past few months they've started passwording them. The password hint is usually in the comments, and often requires knowledge of Japanese life/culture/slang in order to figure it out. They do this to keep the foreigners out. While the blatant ignorance seems more common with the Chinese importers, I'm sure others have gone and cleared these missions. Clearing the mission shuts down the taxi and then the taxi person has to set it back up again.

Differing hours, somewhat obvious, but don't complain when its 5pm your time, and theres hardly anyone on in JPPSU. If you can't play late into the night or very early in the morning (4am~ if you're in the americas) you'll have a much harder time finding groups.

The rest are just a bunch of 'curtosey' things. "Please bring moons or cosmos" "Please have enough scape dolls" "This is for leveling bullets only, high level players need not join" "Rare hunting, we aren't going for S rank clears" etc etc. While you won't be kicked in these cases, you will get abandoned for being a pest.

In most event missions, NPCs typically give directions (Gun in my left hand, sword in my right) and not being able to read or communicate will also get you abandoned.

Japanese don't kick. They make up excuses to be nice and ditch you.

I think that list covers the majority of stuff I've seen/heard from other players on JPPSU in regards to importers.

The grass might seem greener, but you don't want to walk barefoot. Theres pesticides. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

AxelgearVII
Sep 3, 2007, 10:14 AM
^ Have we met before? I don't know who or where you play.

I'd be happy to help anyone who wants to start fresh over there btw. Despite my laptop, which Im playing with for the duration of this semester, not being able to run the game that good

Menochi
Sep 3, 2007, 11:08 AM
Probably not. My experience with the majority of importers were just exchanging cards when I first came over, and then left to fend for myself. The few tims I tried to ask them if they'd want to do anything, I'd get snide comments back or nothing at all. And a few others didn't seem happy when I brought their deceit and/or behind-the-backness to their attention.

So to avoid any drama or hassle like ended up happening with BB, I pretty much just don't bother socializing with most of the importers. XD
I only play with 3 semi-regularly, and one of them I know in real life. The importer mentality seems a lot better now than it was then, but I just typically don't bother nowadays. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

AxelgearVII
Sep 3, 2007, 09:18 PM
^ Who are you though?

beatrixkiddo
Sep 3, 2007, 09:28 PM
It's.. dun dun dun... MIDORI!

onegaionegaionegaionegaionegaionegaionegaionegaion egaionegaionegaionegaionegai

Menochi
Sep 3, 2007, 09:50 PM
menochi is my moniker. If you aren't familiar with it, then you obviously haven't met/played with my character.

And I'm sorry to dissapoint, but I don't run around in a bikini beatrix. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Lyrise
Sep 3, 2007, 11:25 PM
Also don't forget about the IRC channel set in place for importers. Over 1 year in operation and still going strong. If you ever need questions answered, or event update info, head on over to the channel and ask.

#PSUJP over at irc.gamesurge.net.

As for the initial issue with getting a license in the UK, remember that ISAO handles the payments now. No more international blocks. Any information you need to supply, you already did when you did the switch to play expansion beta; which I know you did. Just make sure when you do buy the license, do it early in the month. You don't charged for the first month, but the account needs to be active for 2 months in order to cancel. You get charged on the 1st of every month at 12:01 AM.

Menochi> It'd be nice to meet and play with you if you're ever willing to. Seems like you hit up the wrong people way back then; while part of the import crowd is sorta burned out, the rest is rather good to go, with some people returning to play more (myself included, I took a 3 month break.), and hyped for expansion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lyrise on 2007-09-03 21:28 ]</font>