PDA

View Full Version : known PSU technology stuff

DurakkenX
Sep 1, 2007, 08:14 PM
Durakken removed ^.^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DurakkenX on 2007-10-10 07:22 ]</font>

Zorafim
Sep 2, 2007, 01:36 AM
Monomate/Dimates/Trimates
speculation: most likely short lived nano machine packets containing organic and/or synthetic materials to heal a person near instantly.

I thought they were hamburgers and shakes.

Sinue_v2
Sep 2, 2007, 05:30 AM
They're candy bars, actually. Like healthy granola treats filled with healing herbs, antibiotics, etc.

Hence the "mate" suffix on "Perori Mate" in PSU. Perolymates were the low tier healing items of PSI. The higher-end healing food was a liquid called Ruoginin. These were changed to "Burger and Cola" in the US version since stupid gaijun kids are fat and love McDonalds. Or something like that...

In either case, that's the history between Mono, Di, and Trimates - which are just a much improved form of the Perolymate. Although, since PSU is not Algol, it's possible that the nature of the healing items has changed despite bringing Perolymates back.

Dragwind
Sep 2, 2007, 11:47 AM
Good stuff. I can't wait to see what new info we uncover about technology in psu- past, present, and future in AoI.

Omega_Weltall
Sep 2, 2007, 01:44 PM
I posted this on another tread but this one is more appropriate for it. But i've been thinking, since the weaponry is based on photons its basically holograms... sort of. Mostly cause to syth the weapons you need catalyst to bind photons to metal which got me thinking, " So a saber really is a saber but with light particles bound to them and not just a beam of light like say a lightsaber in Star Wars" Now for the elementals i'm guessing they work like this.

Neutral = basic cutting/piercing
Fire = burns as it hits (kind of like a lightsaber strike)
Ice = freezes as it hits
Lighting = has electric charge as it cuts / pierces
Ground = now this one took me a while but i think it makes it more of a blunt/crushing type weapon
Light = constructive? ( for Resta, Reverser, GiResta, Rentier, and Rentis this makes sence but for melee, bullets, and Regrants i have NO clue)
Dark = destructive (self explanatory)

DurakkenX
Sep 2, 2007, 02:46 PM
Durakken removed

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DurakkenX on 2007-10-10 07:22 ]</font>

HaydenX
Sep 2, 2007, 03:01 PM
Strateria - guardian robots of the original Gurhalians. They were probably designed to defend against the SEED. They contain A-photon reactors of tremendous power.

Zoamel_Gustav
Sep 3, 2007, 12:52 PM
My theory is that all consumable items are based on TECHNICs. Mates are based on the TECHNIC resta. Rides are based on buffs. etc. It's a common alchemical concept used in fantasy for "magic potions" to create spell-like effects. PSU's "Synthesis" is also a very common alchemical concept.

Most of PSU's technology can be based on two types of warping. "Vectoring" would be warping space to move a object a great distance, even across universes. "Synthesis" would be warping space to change an objects properties, even creating a whole new object from unrelated materials.

I had a theory that buffs, lineshields and nanoblasts were related as well.

According to http://phantasystaruniverse.com/charworld_misc.php

The line shield system covers the body with a thin field of photons, which absorbs attacks and impacts to protect the wearer.
A Lineshield with units can increase different stat by altering a body covering field of photons. Buffs can increase different stats as well. Buffs cause a visual effect of emitting a ring of colored energy. Buffs could be explained as also altering that body covering field of photons.

Nanoblasts cause a visual effect of emiting a lot of energy. Nanoblasting could be explained as drastically altering that body covering field of photons. The layers of energy rings would cover the whole body field, creating the blast form. The blast badge could even be a like a limitless use synth board that uses adrenaline as an ingredient to create a stronger version of ride items.

Jet1337
Sep 3, 2007, 06:43 PM
S-rank weapons: They look "pretty", but do shit damage compared to a 9* grinded 5 times. Ta DAH!!!!

Esufer
Sep 3, 2007, 09:21 PM
Isn't it stated that SUVs are called from orbital satellites?

That kinda conflicts with your theory of the CAST acting as the nanotransformer, unless I've misinterpreted your post.

Reginaldo
Sep 4, 2007, 12:00 PM
Don't Line Shields kinda act like Light Sheilds from Outlaw Star? That's it seemed to me at least.

DurakkenX
Sep 4, 2007, 12:59 PM
Esufer... It says that the SUV is in Outer orbit, but it does not say anything about where the nano transformer is. Further more that type of technology based on what we know seems to be a bit misplaced because if they had that technology they would not need vector tracks...

also shield lines are just a field around a person. The person seems to act as the photon crystal if you consider the person to be like a weapon...

Esufer
Sep 4, 2007, 01:08 PM
Well, seeing as Nano Transformers are used to hold things, and the SUVs are called from satellites, I'd imagine the Nano Transformer to be on there.
And here I was hoping for somekind of intelligent conversation, rather than "IMRIGHTIMRIGHTIMRIGHT"

^.^

DurakkenX
Sep 4, 2007, 01:18 PM
I didn't say I was right or wrong. Stop putting words in there that aren't. I said that SUVs don't work according to what we know about their technology.

EspioKaos
Sep 4, 2007, 01:32 PM
On 2007-09-03 19:21, Esufer wrote:
Isn't it stated that SUVs are called from orbital satellites?

Right. According to official sources, the orbiting satellites that house SUV weapons act as nanotransformers in the whole summoning process. I imagine that each unit a CAST equips in order to call a specific SUV acts as a medium for them to receive the weapon data, pull it back together as a whole weapon and then nanotransform it back to the satellite after using the weapon.

Zoamel_Gustav
Sep 4, 2007, 07:53 PM
I think the SUVs (Satelite Uplink Vector) and vector tracks work on the same principles. I see vectors as literally Spatial vectors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_%28spatial%29) and not as a physical tunnel connecting the planets. A vector track is a short straight line starting at point A, traveling through warped space, ending at point B. A ship leaves normal space at gate A, is vectored though warped space, then returns to normal space at gate B.

When a cast activates an SUV extra unit, a blue trail rises up toward an orbiting satelite. I believe this trail is a vector track. The SUV weapon easily travels down this track in one piece, uneffected by the normal effects of space. The cast interacting with the weapon is also immune to normal space until the vectoring is complete.

A cast activates a SUV extra unit connected to their lineshield. That cast and a SUV weapon both enter a track of warped space. The weapon moves to the cast's location. The weapon's projectiles or energy exits the warped space. The weapon is moved back to the satelite. The cast and a SUV weapon both return to normal space.

Being in this warped space would explain the invincibilty caused by vectoring. It may also explain other invincibility effects, such as at the start and finish of nanoblasts. Items may also be vectored from near by storage into the palm of your hand.

omegapirate2k
Sep 4, 2007, 08:06 PM
On 2007-09-02 03:30, Sinue_v2 wrote:
They're candy bars, actually. Like healthy granola treats filled with healing herbs, antibiotics, etc.

Something like military rations then?

That's what I'd always assumed they were.

littleman2347
Sep 4, 2007, 08:26 PM
This is a very mathematically complex subject. I wish some on could show it to me it would look cool.

McLaughlin
Sep 4, 2007, 08:33 PM
Photon Weapons: I don't know much about any of this, but I'll throw what little I can into this melding pot. From the descriptions on them, I assume they use some kind of generator to keep their form. I assume that this Photon Generator functions in tandem similarly with a Nanotransformer. The Nanotransformer being the source of the photon clusters, and the generator being the output device that maintains the stability of the weapon. The better the generator, the more photons it can safely contain within the weapon form, resulting in more damage from the denser blade/bullet. The more photons contained within the weapon, the more spiritual energy that can be channeled through Wands and Rods, resulting in more powerful bursts of said energy in the physical form of Technics. This may also explain why Lightning weapons have a more undefined form. Lightning is electricity. I imagine the generators function on electricity as well. They may interfere with each other, and some of the excess energy escapes from the generator's containment field, giving the weapon a more undefined form.

As for SUVs, I think that the Extra Unit acts as an ID chip with a transmitter on it. When activated, the Unit indicates which SUV weapon is being called, and sends it on a Vector Track (that blue beam, like Zoamel said), where it's received in the Cast's Nanotrnsformer and immediately pulled out of storage.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-09-04 18:34 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Sep 4, 2007, 08:57 PM
Zoamel I can go with that reasoning for SUVs, that still leaves the why only CASTs can use them thing... However for the regular items they are in particle form in a warped space that is unseen. You have to look at it in dimensional space above 3D.

Nano blasting has something to do with genetics and not with photons.

BTW this brings up a weird question concerning CASTs... Their reactors are clearly regular photons which are activated by the will of the users... Does this mean that CASTs assert a will as soon as they're active or do they need to be kept active somehow?

Sgt_Shligger
Sep 4, 2007, 08:58 PM
On 2007-09-02 03:30, Sinue_v2 wrote:

Hence the "mate" suffix on "Perori Mate" in PSU. Perolymates were the low tier healing items of PSI. The higher-end healing food was a liquid called Ruoginin. These were changed to "Burger and Cola" in the US version since stupid gaijun kids are fat and love McDonalds. Or something like that...

In either case, that's the history between Mono, Di, and Trimates - which are just a much improved form of the Perolymate. Although, since PSU is not Algol, it's possible that the nature of the healing items has changed despite bringing Perolymates back.

Huh, I was right without knowing it. . . A fanfic I never finished wrote awhile back portrayed a Monomate as an energy bar. Never though it was true O_o

Also, for photons, they appear to have weight to them. There's no reason a Sword would be difficult to swing if it was weightless. Neutral photons could be equivalent to a sharpened blade. . . Except it's sharp from all points, which explains how they can cut from almost any angle. Elements would simply add an extra effect, fire, ice and electric being self-exclamatory. For earth, possibly a crushing or even blunt impact as mentioned earlier. Light and dark seem magic related. Then again, all photons sound "magical" in some sense.

DurakkenX
Sep 4, 2007, 09:19 PM
It's actually harder to swing a blade effectively with the wrong weighting.

What we know about the weapons is that...
it consists of Photon Crystal, Limiter, field generator, and handle for blades. Guns have a photon crystal permanently in the gun and then take on the attribute of a bullet photon. TECH weapons take on the attributes of 2-4 attributed mini crystals. Also we know that any "other" attribute when placed in this system cancel out the other.

Photon Crystals do not create a field naturally. Photon Crystals do have natural affinities, and do have limited charge.

We also know that the minimum level of a weapon when not in contact with a person is not "off" which means there is an off/on switch.

Also the infusion of power as I described is used in real science. You can push something to a new limit sometimes, but other times it breaks whatever you're trying to strengthen. It's the same concept.

Sgt_Shligger
Sep 4, 2007, 09:24 PM
Well, where do you get this info? If it's just a guess, then add some words like "opinion" ;(

And a guns have a permanent photon crystal? Wouldn't all weapons have one of these? My guess for guns is that rangers use mental energy, except the do it through a gun. So they can change the bullet with a little concentration. Alternatively, the elements are something like "amo" clips or an add-on for the weapon, maybe a switch.

McLaughlin
Sep 4, 2007, 09:30 PM
On 2007-09-04 18:57, DurakkenX wrote:
Zoamel I can go with that reasoning for SUVs, that still leaves the why only CASTs can use them thing...

It's an AMF weapon, so I doubt they just hand them out willy-nilly. They also may have an Identification mechanism within the Extra Unit that prevents any unauthorized activation of the SUV Weapon.

Sgt_Shligger
Sep 4, 2007, 09:33 PM
Also, don't SUVs weigh a lot too? Since the SUV and the Cast would both be in a different "space," doesn't that mean they still have to carry them?

DurakkenX
Sep 4, 2007, 09:45 PM
Sgt Shligger... i posted facts that are directly stated in the game somewhere. Then the rest is speculation based on observation and logic. It is not just made up and that which isn't observable or what can be logically assumed I say i have no clue. So anything not in the first post is pretty much assumption (ie opinion). Observation is the next step when trying to figure something out...in games we must take what is said at face value so you must combine what is stated with observation and come to a logical conclusion. At some points there are places where we can't answer something by way of observation, stated facts, and logical conclusions and in those cases one must say I don't know. My problem with what some have you said is that it is just without basis in any way. For example, "magic" does not exist in PSU as magic is a happening that seems to not be possible. PSU doesn't completely explain how techs work but they know how it works and so it is not magic....

as far as weapons...
All weapons have permanent crystals, but they also have mini photon packets or something that are placed into it so that they change elements. Or at least that is what we can assume it works as if you observe how weapons are this is pretty true.

elements are within the photons otherwise you wouldn't need to find elemental photons...they are not generated outside of crystal. For all we know is that somehow these crystals just mean that they have an affinity for that element due to some mineral that they grew around or something like that.

DurakkenX
Sep 4, 2007, 09:47 PM
On 2007-09-04 19:30, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

On 2007-09-04 18:57, DurakkenX wrote:
Zoamel I can go with that reasoning for SUVs, that still leaves the why only CASTs can use them thing...

It's an AMF weapon, so I doubt they just hand them out willy-nilly. They also may have an Identification mechanism within the Extra Unit that prevents any unauthorized activation of the SUV Weapon.

They are GRM weapons, not AMF.

Sinue_v2
Sep 4, 2007, 09:50 PM
In so far as photons go, I'm fairly convinced that "photons" are the remains (or the current state) of the Great Light/Holy Light. It's an element of nature that is worshiped as a god... which is appropriate if there is any link between PSU's Holy Light and PS's Great Light. It's possible that, while Algolian technology was not photon based, photons did play a role in Algol. The metal "Laconium" was a spiritual metal that, when bathed in the darkness by the eclipse of Ryukros (the last outpost of the Great Light in Algol) as it passed by Dezolis, would glow brightly. Hence, why the Dezolians crafted the Eclipse Torch out of Laconium. Laconium is also the only metal known to truly be able to defeat Dark Force, hence the Elysdion and the Nei Weapons are crafted from it. Also, althought Laconium is not currently present in PSU, it's a likely addition in future expansions as it fits nicely into the Harnium, Soldonium, Stelnium, etc, class of metals.

As a spiritual and religious force, photons appropriately function by "feeding" on an individuals spirit energy. It doesn't just reflect and amplify a person's spiritual energy, it consumes and transforms it. This is a moral debate between the Photon and A-Photon fanatic aboard the Guardian Colony, since A-Photons employ photons processed by copolymerization (I think) that are stable because work without the sacrifice of an individual's spirit energy (which is highly variable) for their benefits. It's a betrayal of the Holy Light, using the power of photons unilaterally rather than a symbiotic relationship. This brings the question - is the spirit inexhaustible, or are there possible consequences to overuse of Photons?

One other point I'd like to comment on which was in another thread that got locked, unfortunately. The idea that Gurhalian humans are descended from Earth humans, due to the presence of a "Buddhist" temple found on Neudaiz. I don't believe that's the case, as it seems that religion seems to cross space and time. The worship of the Great/Holy light between Dezolians and Newmans, would be an example. Algolians and Coptolians worshiped in what appeared to be Christian churches. It's likely that Algolians brought their Christian-like religion to Copto, meanwhile it was apparently wiped out (ironically) by the Earthmen when they arrived in Algol between the events of PSI & II. So since a Christian religion existed in Algol before the Earthmen arrived - it's possible that the Holy Light is not the only "god" in the universe. It's possible that Buddhism flourished in Gurhal separately and independently from the earth-human variation of Buddhism.

For example, "magic" does not exist in PSU as magic is a happening that seems to not be possible. PSU doesn't completely explain how techs work but they know how it works and so it is not magic....

Magic does exist in PSU. In Chapter 8: Captives of Moatoob, it's revealed that Photon Sealing, the process of engraving TECHNIC abilities into a person was discovered and is implimented by the use of powerful magic. Not, "powerful TECHNICs".

However, there is the possibility that it is a mistranslation error, or that PSU does not make the same distinction between Magic and Techniques that PS does. The latter doesn't seem to be the case, however, since so far that is the only instance of "Magic" being mentioned.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-09-04 19:58 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Sep 4, 2007, 10:15 PM
Laconium does exist in PSU, not as an item though. The beast in the Moatoob Synthesis shop says that a Laconium something, i think gem or ore, sells for 1 million meseta straight from the ground

McLaughlin
Sep 4, 2007, 10:20 PM
On 2007-09-04 19:45, DurakkenX wrote:
elements are within the photons otherwise you wouldn't need to find elemental photons...they are not generated outside of crystal. For all we know is that somehow these crystals just mean that they have an affinity for that element due to some mineral that they grew around or something like that.

Actually, you have to find elemental photon clusters. I assume these clusters come about by absorbing enough excess spiritual energy (possibly residual leftovers from a Technic) to retain the element of the energy they absorbed, but not enough to use. Thus the description label "inactive cluster of photons."

And GRM is the arms manufacturer for the AMF Military, so it's plausible that they produce the SUVs for the AMF Military.

Sinue_v2
Sep 4, 2007, 10:44 PM
I'll have to check on that as I get to those chapters. Starting chapter 10 tonight.

And Obsidian, GRM does indeed manufacture the SUV weapons. Where the AMF comes into the picture is that the GUARDIANS have leased space aboard AMF satellites in which to store them. I'm not sure whether these weapons are stored in distorted space inside these satellites, but nano-transformer like technology is used when transporting them to the CAST which calls them. A license must be issued each time the weapon is used. It's not explicitly stated, (that I've seen thus far) but it's likely this is done because SUV weapons are highly destructive and thus it's a way to keep track of how and where they are used. When you "buy" a SUV weapon, you're registering that weapon for your use, and you're helping to pay the lease on the space used to store it.

McLaughlin
Sep 4, 2007, 10:49 PM
Ah. I assumed they were primarily AMF weaponry because you only ever see the AMF Lou unit use one, and the AMF is primarily (92% I think Hyuga said?) composed of Casts.

At least I was close (kinda) on how they worked. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sinue_v2
Sep 4, 2007, 10:58 PM
Well, Lou isn't an AMF affilitated CAST. Indeed, the AMF is comprised of over 90% CASTs, but the AMF doesn't produce it's own CAST soldiers. Instead CASTs voluntarily choose for themselves whether or not to join the AMF. They do have a standard shell for use with CASTs who are in the military, thus they often all look the same and mass produced.

You can tell mass produced CAST models by the similarity in their faces. Lou and the PPT Caseal are examples of such who look exactly the same facially. But when you look at Stank Geese, the AMF Cast in Holtes City Central Square, and Fullyen Curtz, they all have different faces despite having similar shells.

The Lou units are a series of multiple shell units controlled by a singular consciousness. The Lou consciousness is affiliated with the Guardians, although it's possible that more units may be held by private individuals and institutions. Dr. Kanal Tomrain makes mention that he also has a Lou unit, although it's likely that he only obtained her (or was assigned her) because he is under the direct protection of the Guardians.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-09-04 21:02 ]</font>

McLaughlin
Sep 4, 2007, 11:00 PM
I really need to play Story Mode again. >_<

Sinue_v2
Sep 4, 2007, 11:03 PM
On 2007-09-04 21:00, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
I really need to play Story Mode again. >_<

Or you could just read the script when I'm finished. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Esufer
Sep 5, 2007, 04:37 AM
If they're called from Orbital Satellites, does this mean there's at least one SUV satellite orbiting each planet?

If so, then how are the weapons called in the HIVE?

iirc, the original HIVE was well outside Gurhal space.

Sinue_v2
Sep 5, 2007, 05:36 AM
You can also call SUV weapons while inside the Guardian Colony, which is generally too small to have orbiting satellites. So by orbital, I would assume that they orbit around the sun, rather than a specific planet. But it's not really specified one way or another that I've seen thus far.

Zoamel_Gustav
Sep 5, 2007, 02:54 PM
I thought there were thousands of satellites everywhere. The Colony and the Hives are satellites themselves. GRM just owns most of everything. They aren't AMF affiliated, rather they are "Gurhal affiliated". So most satellites, SUVs systems, cast parts, etc. were GRM created. Anything mass produced or standard issue is of the GRM brand.

A common misconception is that the nano prefix is used to mean small. On gurhal the prefix "nano" means the item is based on GRM's parum based materials. Nanotransformers, nanoblasts, etc. are all mass produced, standard issue GRM items.

I had a theory that the three artificial races were based on the photon technology. Newmans have technic affinity. Casts have vector affinity. Beast have synthesis affinity. While everyone can use photon based abilities, these races were created to specialize in specific uses.

As to why SUVs are Cast specific, my theory was that living organic matter can't survive being vectored without a ship's worth of shielding. In some science fiction, teleportation can't be used on living bodies.

The Lou units I believe are cast clones. They're separate people who's bodies and minds are based on the same template. They may be networked together or share the same soul but have seperate minds. Breaking the fourth wall, Lou may just have a lot of "alts".

One of the NPC Lous mentions that you are being partnered with a Combat type Lou. There may also be Hacker type Lous and Social type Lous. I sorta thought of Lou as a missing link between Casts and Partner Machinery.

Kuya
Sep 5, 2007, 04:03 PM
Hasbro's NERF division was bought and integrated into GRM's gun development department.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images/%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CHNR61983lg.jpg

A few NERF employees did sneak out documents though...
http://www.boltsniper.com/Longshot/IMGP4547.JPG

Kubara copy!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

HaydenX
Sep 5, 2007, 05:13 PM
On 2007-09-05 14:03, Kuya wrote:
Hasbro's NERF division was bought and integrated into GRM's gun development department.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images/%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CHNR61983lg.jpg

A few NERF employees did sneak out documents though...
http://www.boltsniper.com/Longshot/IMGP4547.JPG

Kubara copy!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ITS KUBARA OR NOTHIN'!!!! Probably. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Seriously though, that gun would make a phenominal s-rank shotgun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HaydenX on 2007-09-05 15:14 ]</font>

Kuya
Sep 5, 2007, 05:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJBs1FuQNjc

There's the rifle modded with the shotgun foregrip. Slightly different than the one I posted but still cool http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Zoamel_Gustav
Sep 5, 2007, 10:19 PM
Vector technology sorta reminds me of the series Martian Successor Nadesico (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_Successor_Nadesico). Early in that series, teleportation technology is used to move objects and unmanned machinery. Later in the series, specially shielded ships allow crews to survive teleportation. Eventually there are even people genetically altered to survive and control teleportation.

Oddly enough, the crew also literally had cut-in chats. The people all used the same communication system which could send personal floating holographic image screens.

Jife_Jifremok
Sep 6, 2007, 02:04 AM
On 2007-09-04 20:44, Sinue_v2 wrote:
I'll have to check on that as I get to those chapters. Starting chapter 10 tonight.

And Obsidian, GRM does indeed manufacture the SUV weapons. Where the AMF comes into the picture is that the GUARDIANS have leased space aboard AMF satellites in which to store them. I'm not sure whether these weapons are stored in distorted space inside these satellites, but nano-transformer like technology is used when transporting them to the CAST which calls them. A license must be issued each time the weapon is used. It's not explicitly stated, (that I've seen thus far) but it's likely this is done because SUV weapons are highly destructive and thus it's a way to keep track of how and where they are used. When you "buy" a SUV weapon, you're registering that weapon for your use, and you're helping to pay the lease on the space used to store it.

I can see it now.

Guy monitoring SUV use: "This idiot's using his SUV to blow up the boxes after killing a de regan!"

And is it just me, or do you guys seem to know more about the game world itself than the devs? <_<

Zoamel_Gustav
Sep 6, 2007, 01:46 PM
On 2007-09-04 19:33, Sgt_Shligger wrote:
Also, don't SUVs weigh a lot too? Since the SUV and the Cast would both be in a different "space," doesn't that mean they still have to carry them?

SUV weapons are probably made weightless because they can hover. We know GRM has hover technology due to hoverboards, basic partner machines, madoogs, shadoogs, parum's flying cars and other floating objects. We even see the rocket launching parts of Lou's SUV just hover in mid air.

Now that I think about it, I don't seem to remember ever seeing anyone lift any heavy items.

DurakkenX
Sep 6, 2007, 02:13 PM
On 2007-09-06 00:04, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
And is it just me, or do you guys seem to know more about the game world itself than the devs? <_<

My opinion is that the main devs know all of this and more, but the poor translation makes it seems like they don't know what's going on. But it's interesting that this topic shows that everything we see in game is theoretically possible based on what we're told.

concerning *mates... There has to be something more to those bars than just that they are candy bars...I still think it has something to do with nano machines, I think that the bars have nano machines in them as the natural blood stream wouldn't heal you that quick...I also think that the nano machines are in the bar rather than permanently in a person as Ethan seemed shocked at the Dr having nano machines him, but not that they exist...

DavidNel
Sep 6, 2007, 04:16 PM
Ummm, I have some real info about photons... I'm not sure if PSU is trying to use photons in their actual sense though, so this may not apply.

1) Earilier, someone said photons can take any shape, but usually the form of crystals. This is all true except the crystal part. Photons are "quanums" of energy that have a certain value. Due to the formula E + mC^2, technically any mass could be a photon.

2) A concentrated beam of photons is a laser. What most people don't know is that "laser" is an acronym (sp?). It really should be written as L.A.S.E.R, and it stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. It's a bunch of light particals put together to make a powerful beam. This beam can do a lot of work, because it has so much energy, and could be put into a saber-like weapon.

So there is some real world science for you, lol.

DurakkenX
Sep 6, 2007, 04:35 PM
first "quanta" or "quantums" plural
photons from the real world are not what they are talking about, but they do have bunch of the similar properties.

A photon are a bundle of light energy.
Also anything can theoretically converted from solid matter to light energy and back again. That's what E=mc^2 means.

Also what i stated in first post is sorta a mistake...
Photons are more naturally in a gas form OR an atmospheric particle of some sort. Solid form is crystal which is found on the 3 main planets, but photons in their gaseous or particle form is all around, but Neudaiz has a larger concentration for some reason. There is no explanation that I know of for the crystals besides that they need a catalyst to form into crystals, which make crystal impure photons.

in other words, as far as it is known, scientific photons and game photons are not the same.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DurakkenX on 2007-09-06 14:36 ]</font>

DikkyRay
Sep 6, 2007, 04:42 PM
On 2007-09-06 14:16, DavidNel wrote:

So there is some real world science for you, lol.

You do realize you are bringing science into a sci fi converstaion right?

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x98/Demon_Vergil/God_kills_catgirl.gif
Not physics or a comic, but still, a catgirl is dead thanks to you

DurakkenX
Sep 6, 2007, 04:54 PM
Not my kitties!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

DavidNel
Sep 6, 2007, 07:49 PM
Quanta, my bad. I'm a science nerd, I don't need to know how to spell!

And, as stated by Durakken, there does seem to be many similarities.

PS: Energy comes in waves, not particles...

Zoamel_Gustav
Sep 6, 2007, 08:00 PM
On 2007-09-04 20:44, Sinue_v2 wrote:
SUV weapons are highly destructive

According to the book with the concept art from the topic "PSU artbook review" (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=141405&forum=20):

Magas Maggahna is Magashi's SUV weapon. The actual weapon system itself.

Also, the location of the nanotransformers on Moatoob clothing is on the left armguard.

Sinue_v2
Sep 6, 2007, 08:24 PM
I think that the bars have nano machines in them as the natural blood stream wouldn't heal you that quick...

The reason for mates acting so quickly is purely a gameplay mechanic. Real-world healing, or even logical healing techniques, require time to consume the bar, enter the bloodstream, and mend wounds. In this regard, Mates would have an effect similar to regeneration where you gain back HP in incremental (even if very quickly) amounts over time. For the ease of game play implementation - they are instantaneous and the explanation for why it works is "they just do". Mates also had instantaneous healing effects in PS and PSO as well. I don't believe nano-machines have anything to do with their function, but as said... it hasn't even been specified that Mates in PSU are the same mates they were in PS/PSO. We only have supporting evidence in the Perori Mate, and Maya Shidow's "rations" which are candybar-ish shaped.

In contrast, it wasn't necessary to explain how your character can carry so much gear on them without being encumbered either. However since they were already implementing alternate dimensional storage (confinement), the explanation works well within the framework of the storyline.

Magas Maggahna is Magashi's SUV weapon. The actual weapon system itself.

Truth. However, seeing as he's a member of the Endrum Collective, I doubt they make Magashi register a license when he uses it. Secretive organizations and e-paper trails don't mix...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-09-06 18:26 ]</font>

Tykwa
Sep 6, 2007, 08:25 PM
Durrakan makes me cry

Omega_Weltall
Sep 6, 2007, 10:24 PM
(inserts real science in to a scifi conversation)if sabers are in fact lasers then they should shot off in to infinity and not be a finite length.

I FRICKEN HATE CATGIRLS!!!

Zoamel_Gustav
Sep 6, 2007, 10:24 PM
I still say consumable items are based on TECHNICs. A lot of things seem to point to alchemy:

Mates heal you as fast as resta does.
Rides work like buffs.
Moons work like giresta.
Atomizers work like resta & reverser.
Items are created through synthesis.
Materials can be converted to better materials.
Objects and abilities can be sorted by elements.

Parum may be a planet based on sci-fi, but Neudais is rooted in fantasy and Moatoob is post-apocalyptic. Not everything has to be based on technology. A monomate could just be a very cheap, travel-size, ready-serve, insta-resta.

BlackHat
Sep 6, 2007, 10:28 PM
On 2007-09-06 20:24, Omega_Weltall wrote:
(inserts real science in to a scifi conversation)if sabers are in fact lasers then they should shot off in to infinity and not be a finite length.

I FRICKEN HATE CATGIRLS!!!

Unless they have a crystal that some how refracts the light into a desirable shape.

Ps. CatGirls are ugly.

Sinue_v2
Sep 6, 2007, 11:27 PM
Parum may be a planet based on sci-fi, but Neudais is rooted in fantasy and Moatoob is post-apocalyptic.

As far as consumable items being TECHNIC based, there's no evidence pro or contrary to the point so there's not discussion that can really be had on the subject until (if ever) it's clarified. You're free to believe as you wish.

Moons work like giresta.
Atomizers work like resta & reverser.

Atomizers have traditionally existed since PSII's time as well. So fun fact, Moon, Dew, Sol, and other atomizers are actually, well, atomizers. They resemble those old antique perfume bottles with the air bladder you squeeze to release the fluid in a spray. An although not applicable to PSU, pipes such as Telepipes and Escapepipes are actually traditionally Ocarina type musical instruments you play. It's descended from the Magic Flute of PSI.

As far as themes for the planets, I've always seen Parum as a generic secular sci-fi society. Although presented in a dumbed down and childish fashion, I find the twist on the "Robots conquer humanity" a unique and enjoyable one. Machines are usually thought of in the west as being cold and unfeeling, unrelenting and incapable of mercy. So it's an odd contrast to see them appointed the task of caretaker and provider of order for the conquered humanity. Although the prejudice runs deep, it's never ugly as we imagine the man-machine relationship being (e.g. The Terminator), or even as ugly as we proven to be towards our own species at times.

Neudaiz isn't traditional fantasy, but instead acts as polar opposite to Parum. It is a theocratic society that embraces and strives to co-habitate with nature. It's a stark contrast to Parum which is largely covered by sprawling cities that cover whole continents. So the spiritual and religious theme is pushed highly, while being inundated with asian architecture and culture. Too much so, I think. Neudaiz's design has always turned me off as being "so asian it's borderline racist". Like the stereotypical asian culture squeezed and processed like an orange into some kind of Asian Concentrate.

Moatoob on the other hand, is a polar opposite of both Parum and Neudaiz. Both those planets are highly structured, whether it be religious or technological structure. Moatoob is chaos. It is lawlessness and brutality as citizens struggle to survive and thrive in the environment. So in this way, Moatoob is themed highly on the American "Wild West". This is seen clearly in the Navajo-like designs, cactus, and western wear. There's even the cliche saloon via Gawik's pub. Although in addition, to heighten the theme of lawlessness, Sonic Team implemented an Italian mobster theme to the planet. This is manifested most prominently by the major crime families who make up the largest part of Moatoob's "government". Many characters have the stereotypical Italian bad temper, as well as some Jersey/NY (where the mob was prominent) mannerisms. Mana is a good example of which. Many Beast characters have Italian sounding names, Leogini, Tonnio, and Laia Martinez.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-09-06 21:33 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-09-06 21:39 ]</font>

Zoamel_Gustav
Sep 7, 2007, 03:42 PM
On 2007-09-06 21:27, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Atomizers have traditionally existed since PSII's time as well. So fun fact, Moon, Dew, Sol, and other atomizers are actually, well, atomizers. They resemble those old antique perfume bottles with the air bladder you squeeze to release the fluid in a spray. An although not applicable to PSU, pipes such as Telepipes and Escapepipes are actually traditionally Ocarina type musical instruments you play. It's descended from the Magic Flute of PSI.

As far as themes for the planets, I've always seen Parum as a generic secular sci-fi society. Although presented in a dumbed down and childish fashion, I find the twist on the "Robots conquer humanity" a unique and enjoyable one. Machines are usually thought of in the west as being cold and unfeeling, unrelenting and incapable of mercy. So it's an odd contrast to see them appointed the task of caretaker and provider of order for the conquered humanity. Although the prejudice runs deep, it's never ugly as we imagine the man-machine relationship being (e.g. The Terminator), or even as ugly as we proven to be towards our own species at times.

Neudaiz isn't traditional fantasy, but instead acts as polar opposite to Parum. It is a theocratic society that embraces and strives to co-habitate with nature. It's a stark contrast to Parum which is largely covered by sprawling cities that cover whole continents. So the spiritual and religious theme is pushed highly, while being inundated with asian architecture and culture. Too much so, I think. Neudaiz's design has always turned me off as being "so asian it's borderline racist". Like the stereotypical asian culture squeezed and processed like an orange into some kind of Asian Concentrate.

Moatoob on the other hand, is a polar opposite of both Parum and Neudaiz. Both those planets are highly structured, whether it be religious or technological structure. Moatoob is chaos. It is lawlessness and brutality as citizens struggle to survive and thrive in the environment. So in this way, Moatoob is themed highly on the American "Wild West". This is seen clearly in the Navajo-like designs, cactus, and western wear. There's even the cliche saloon via Gawik's pub. Although in addition, to heighten the theme of lawlessness, Sonic Team implemented an Italian mobster theme to the planet. This is manifested most prominently by the major crime families who make up the largest part of Moatoob's "government". Many characters have the stereotypical Italian bad temper, as well as some Jersey/NY (where the mob was prominent) mannerisms. Mana is a good example of which. Many Beast characters have Italian sounding names, Leogini, Tonnio, and Laia Martinez.

Exposure to bottled fluids causing spell-like effects just seems alchemical to me. Descended from the archetype of the magic potion. I'm basing this on the items effects and the alchemical aspects used in games. It could be nanomachines, but that seems needlessly complicated. The mates seem like simple items to me, seeing how they can be created through failed synthesis.

I agree with the views of the planets, but that may be a separate topic. I was just being general. My point was that the planets were based on different genres, not just sci-fi.

Sinue_v2
Sep 7, 2007, 05:07 PM
Well, the reason why I'm generally against an alchemical solution is that Alchemy is never mentioned or referenced in PSU. In a broader sense, it's not mentioned anywhere in the franchise. You also have to understand the distinction between TECHNICs and Magic that Phantasy Star has drawn ever since PSII. They look similar on the surface, but are fundamentally different. TECHNICs, like Techniques, draw on a caster's spirit energy. Whereas in PS, Techniques were preformed by harnessing and shaping your "Chi" (along with possibly specific body movements), PSU adds in photons to the mix by making them the main catalyst responsible for consuming and transforming your spirit energy into spell-like effects. So in this way, both TECHNICs and Techniques are reminiscent of moves like you'd see in Street Fighter with Ryu's Shuryuken. Ryu can "cast" a fireball, but he isn't considered a magician.

Magic is what has always shared a strong link to alchemy in our own cultures, and they differ significantly from Techniques/TECHNICs in that Magic draws it's power from the ether of the universe. It taps directly into mystical energies and allows the caster to release far more potent effects than are capable than through Techniques/TECHNICs. Whereas Techniques can be used by anyone with a spirit (and their proficiency is reliant on how strong their spirit is), Magic can only be used by the innately talented and takes years of study and discipline to use effectively. It's also used to enchant items (as seen in the previous games), and in PSU as a means to etching Photon Seals into people, such as children of high ranking Communion officers. Of course, it's possible that PSU makes no distinction between magic and TECHNICs, like it's predecessors did, or that mentions of Magic are simply mistranslations. This doesn't seem likely (to me) considering Magic is stated rather explicitly several times in a short time span, and then never mentioned again. Meanwhile, TECHNICs are a rather explored and highly mentioned topic. I would have expected to see Magic either mentioned more, or more sporatically.

In either case, Phantasy Star has always (even continuing to PSU) been a contrast and mixture of Eastern and Western concepts and mythology. The contrast between TECHNIC(que)s and Magic is indicative of this. Magic (and alchemy by extension) would be a more western concept, while "Chi"/Spirit energy is a more Asian concept. I simply haven't seen anything in PSU yet that has shattered or altered these precepts.

Although I will admit that having some items named after TECHNICs they're similar to (Megistar - Megistaride) is a powerful argument to the contrary. Also, just because Magic and Alchemy are closely tied in our own culture, doesn't mean they would be in an alien culture - so there is a bit of a logical fallacy there.

As said, the debate is still wide open until Sonic Team says definitively one way or another on the matter.

Zoamel_Gustav
Sep 7, 2007, 10:08 PM
Well okay, moving on to more technology:

Universe transporters and the confinement system suggest parallel universes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_universe_%28science%29). The ability of vectoring to another universe.

The tutorial NPC points out the universe transporters, found in lobbies.

The unification point was a one-time event, but they did shunt away all the seed within gurhal. Sending the seed away to some other universe, and effectively weaponizing the act of vectoring itself.

Omega_Weltall
Sep 7, 2007, 11:12 PM
oooh how many cat girls have died in this conversation http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Zoamel_Gustav
Sep 9, 2007, 04:47 PM
Anyone have more information on the confinement system or the unification point event? I know it was a major plot point, but I mostly glossed over it. As I've said before, I preferred the sub plots more than the actual main plot lines.

Zoamel_Gustav
Sep 11, 2007, 03:10 AM
Virtual reality, vision phones, and lobby signs suggest holographic technology.

This leads me to the following theory:

What if clothing was a holographic projection? This theory would explain a scene where Ethan's nano transformer is stolen, which causes his clothing to suddenly disappear. Due to the lineshield system, the only use for clothing is appearance. If clothing were just data for a projector, it would also explain why clothing is separated into 3 preset static forms. How clothing can look impractical and yet cause no movement problems.

Oddly, head wear is not considered clothing. At one point, Lou is separated from her hat and Curtz is shown removing his helmet. Cast pasts seem real, based on scenes showing Magashi's injures. Yet clothing is never shown altered or interacted with.

Shardio
Sep 11, 2007, 05:37 AM
That theory is broken by the fact that... Ethan puts his cap on in the AotI trailer.

Edit: And Leo's shirt is torn in the Moving Comic

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shardio on 2007-09-11 03:40 ]</font>

Zoamel_Gustav
Sep 11, 2007, 10:01 PM
On 2007-09-11 03:37, Shardio wrote:
That theory is broken by the fact that... Ethan puts his cap on in the AotI trailer.

Edit: And Leo's shirt is torn in the Moving Comic

Okay, cool. So clothing is real. I haven't gotten around to reading the Moving Comic yet. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif