PDA

View Full Version : FanFic: Enjinn

Particle
Sep 4, 2007, 10:33 PM
If you are not prepared to read a good few paragraphs of writing, leave now, and do not waste your time.

Forward, ain't it?

I've been toying with the idea of posting my fan-fic here for quite a while now. Of course, when you consider that its creation was my very reason for joining, you'd be forgiven in thinking this odd.
To be straight with you, I'm posting this for critiques. See what Dezo has done? That's perfect; that's the kind of no-nonsense I'd like to see.
You don't need to do that, obviously, but you'd garner maximum respect if you did. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
Removed pointless grabage...
So, with that out of the way, enjoy reading; I certainly enjoyed writing it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Enjinn

Prologue

The Dome stood quiet, silent as a grave. Covered in a years worth of moss, and a years worth of damage from the ever active and violent native species of Ragol. Only the constant hammering of the relentless rain storm that lingered in the skies above brought atmosphere to the surrounding forest and indeed to the Dome itself.

The decrepit and unused perimeter wall surrounding much of the Dome area was in a similar state of disrepair, if not worse. Many of the 10-inch thick metal security gates that lined key areas of the wall were either damaged beyond repair or simply stuck permanently ajar. The wall itself was thrown cruelly at the mercy of nature; obscure plant life seemed to either wrap itself slowly around the wall or grow straight through it - destroying the walls innards and severing any power that the wall may have once had.

Beyond the wall lay the unchanged rainforest of Pheril, home to some of the worst rainstorms and most violent creatures on the Sus continent.

Through the almost deafening sounds of the storm and the distant roars of warring beasts, one of these creatures was alone, injured and searching in vain for food. It was a strange creature, at best description; a kind of damned spawn of a lizard and a wolf, standing roughly 4-feet high on all fours and about 7-feet from head to tail. It’s back, tail, skull and paws were protected with hard, scale-like hairs, often pale green or blue in colour, and the rest of it’s once sleek frame was covered with a fine tan fur.

All along it’s body, many of the protective scales had been torn off, and large areas of it’s once spotless tan fur had been bloodied and clawed.

The wolf limped wearily out of it’s natural home, the Pheril, and approached one of the many broken down security gates very near the Dome itself. The gate had been savagely pried open by a massive root, belonging to a gargantuan tree located a good few meters back on the edge of the forest. The once cautious predator summoned the last of it’s dying strength and trudged through the security gate into the Central Dome’s perimeter industrial area.

The wolf’s whole body was sagged from exhaustion and, add to that, it was half blinded from a day old scar across it’s right eye. It’s single minded brain was focusing furiously on the strong smell of a fresh kill just ahead.

Focusing so hard in fact, that it just barely realised that there was a 7-foot-tall android standing just in front of it; and behind it, slumped at the base of a ramp, was a toppled Hildebear, spilling scarlet blood onto the overgrown grass.

The wolf struggled to raise it’s head, looking up and into the android’s yellow, soulless eyes, and then struggled even more before releasing a final pitiful growl that would be incapable of striking fear into an infant. The wolf slumped again and swayed for a second, then, before it’s little mind had time to realise the finality of it’s death, a white bolt of super-cooled photon smashed into the side of it’s head - effortlessly piercing through it’s skull while simultaneously flash freezing the skin and bone into a brittle solid. The front end of the creature’s body was flung violently out to the side, causing it to spiral away from the spot it had been standing in barely half a second ago.

It’s lifeless body landed in a crumpled heap, minus most of the head.
The android said nothing for a moment then peered over at his team mate slowly. ‘What did you do that for?’ His voice was cold and critical and had a soft spoken accent to it. ‘The thing was near dead, there was no need to waste charge on it.’

The android - a Cast, as they are known - was sleek looking and lean, yet still retained a sense of power, and was humanoid only in shape. It’s armoured body was dark purple and matt black in colour, and, coupled with thin, piercing, lifeless eyes, looked less human than most would agree to.

The Cast’s team mate was another android, but this time much bulkier and even less humanoid than it’s former. And, most notably, it was armed with a long, metallic, grey rifle - too big for any human to fire, let alone carry - still trained on the spot where the wolf had been.

Now, this android’s body was a different story altogether - in fact, it looked more closely related to a battleship rather than anything else. It was a militaristic olive colour - scuffed and worn - and was coated in layers of gunmetal armour. Frankly, the whole android looked like a walking battle tank. The head - if it could be called such a thing - consisted of a single eyed orb encompassed by an armoured ‘skull’, and was comparatively small in proportion to the body.

The mammoth Cast lowered it’s weapon.

‘Forgive me, Nive,’ the large Cast said, it‘s male voice strangely calm and quiet. ‘I was informed to protect both you and I at all costs - from danger and disruption.’ The orb within the armour on the head darted about wildly, its lone eye apparently scanning the area as it talked. ‘The creature may have alerted it’s kin of our presence before eventual death, which would have slowed our progress.’

The smaller framed Cast, Nive, eased the safety on for the small pistol at his side. The larger android did the same with it’s rifle.

‘I’m aware of that, Bishop,’ Nive said, waving his free hand dismissively. ‘But there are quieter ways of dealing with these creatures. Please remember that for the future.’

The Cast, Bishop, was silent for a beat, as if pondering to himself.

‘I shall, Nive.’

The rainstorm in the heavens above mercilessly strengthened, producing gale force winds that were causing the rain to travel in an almost horizontal fashion. Nive marched, unhindered by the gale, over to the body of the Hildebear. The massive, horned ape-like animal was still emptying blood onto the yellow-green grass. He stood next to the corpse for a second, eyeing it, then clambered up and over the carcass and onto the metal rain drenched ramp on the other side. He strode up the walkway and observed the main working area at the Domes rear.

Old lifting machinery and empty supply crates were scattered about the place thinly; all of the still working or repairable equipment had been scavenged by the Pioneer 2 government not long ago, in a mission that had ended spectacularly with the death of a contract Hunter and the injury of three others.

The bigger of the two androids remained beside the Hildebear corpse, inspecting the creature with an intelligence entirely unfitting of his battle scarred exterior. Bishop couched low beside the bleeding husk - his eye skimming over the body at speed, in taking as much anatomical information as possible. He would have taken a physical sample if he could have, and he so wanted to, but the cumbersome body his artificial intelligence had been inserted into made it impossible to do so with any dexterity. With effort he could have, yes, but not discreetly. Not without one Arkner Nive catching wind of it. And that was something that - for the time being at least - Bishop would have to avoid.

‘Bishop,’ Nive called down to the inquisitive android from the edge of the working floor just above him. ‘The Dome’s back door is just up ahead; get up here before the smell of those bodies attracts some other god-forsaken animal.’ Nive wandered out of sight of his team mate and called back at him. ‘And hurry up, we’re on limited time here. I’m not having money subtracted from me again because I’m late from hunting.’

Bishop considered the option of taking a physical sample one last time, but just as quickly dismissed the thought. It really would take too long in this cursed chassis. And, as Nive said, these bodies would prove ample meals for any predators or scavengers nearby, and the smell would light up the carcasses like a flame in the dark. Further hostile interaction with any fauna would be less than ideal for the mission time, so Bishop did as he was told. The Cast stood and almost effortlessly shifted the great Hildebear corpse with his free hand, clearing the base of the now bloodstained ramp from obstruction. With one final cautious glance behind him, Bishop followed after Nive over the crest of the access ramp.

This would be the last time the gargantuan Cast would get a chance at harvesting one of his precious samples.

Part One, End
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Some notes for those who care: as you may have noticed, certain things have been changed/named/re-named/designed/re-designed from what you remember. Certain things are even original to this story. This was mainly to make it more interesting for me to write, and also to distance it from the swathe of by-the-book fan-fics that might describe an android as 'a RAcast', if you get what I mean... oh, and it was also to make it 'noob' friendly - 'cause I know there are some who have only played PSU, or not played a Phantasy Star game at all. Not here per se, but elsewhere.
Feel free to ask questions, and I want to see criticisms people! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Particle on 2007-09-05 17:15 ]</font>

Freeze
Sep 4, 2007, 11:10 PM
The smaller text makes it a little more difficult to read but otherwise a good start, you've captured my interest giving me one more fict to watch. I'd like to see more.

Particle
Sep 4, 2007, 11:27 PM
Fair enough comment, Freeze. I didn't want to overwhelm folk with an ominous wall of text, but I'll take your advice and upgrade it to normality. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Cheers my friend.

McLaughlin
Sep 5, 2007, 03:09 PM
I really liked it, and I hope you post the rest.

DezoPenguin
Sep 5, 2007, 05:32 PM
So, you wanted a critique, eh? I guess I'll try my hand at that.

(Somewhere, I'm sure HUnewearl_Meira was expecting me to respond here http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif )

THE GOOD:

This prologue does what a prologue is supposed to do--it grabs the reader, it sets the scene, and it leaves them (me, certainly) wanting more. There's some emotional pathos with the wounded Savage Wolf, there's sudden quick action as it's killed, there's conflict between the two characters to help set up, superficially, their personalities, and you present that Bishop has a hidden agenda. All of this leaves me wanting to see more; I'm officially hooked and want to see Chapter One.

Your descriptions of the forest in the first four paragraphs are highly effective. What's really amazing is that, as I reread and think it over, all you've really done is to describe Forest 2 as the game presents it, yet you've breathed life into it in a way that makes it seem an entirely new location, as a living environment.

Bishop is the only character given a chance to really develop in this short passage, but I still find him an intriguing figure. It's said that he was assigned to protect Nive, and yet he clearly has his own agenda. More interesting, it seems that rather than being an ordinary RAcast, his personality is capable of being inserted into different bodies, making me wonder who he really is and what his agenda will be. The last line is especially provocative--is he unable to gather samples because he's about to be killed (this is, after all, a prologue)? Or because whatever he needs a sample for will be cancelled?

The title of the story itself is intriguing. "Enjinn" suggests "engine," of course, but the "jinn" part of it makes me wonder about spirits, demons, and other such entities that play such a large part in PS.

And your stated intention of staying away from gamespeak to make things accessible to the "noob" is something I completely agree with. Having a largely target audience is no excuse for bad storytelling, after all! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

THE BAD:

The editing is a bit spotty in places--missing apostrophe in "Dome's," missing hyphen in "smaller-framed," "matte" spelled "matt," things like that. Minor deal, but it's worth the proofreading. I still grit my teeth every time I reread "Heartwired" and see how fragging many typographical errors I made.

The issue of re-naming things and places makes me somewhat wary. There's a line, of course, between fleshing out the setting to add originality and changing things to the point that you've created an alternate-universe setting. Thus far, I've seen nothing that suggests you've hopped the line to "incompatible with canon," but it's something to stop and think about--and if you are eventually going to hop that line, as a reader I'd like to know that from the get-go instead of waiting until it happens several chapters in.

The particular use of "Cast" in narration to describe androids rubs me the wrong way, probably because it's PSU terminology never used in-game in PSO (though players, of course, did so, so it might be considered "slang" by the people of Pioneer 2). The in-game characters exclusively use the term "android" when not using class-specific references (Zidd in "Battle Training" speaks of Kireek as a "HUcast").

Aside--As for naming the Forest and the continent, that's a different matter. People naturally give places names; I'm fine with that. It's always kind of bugged me that the Forest, Cave, and Seabed areas were never given names, that it was never mentioned what temple on Coral the VR Temple was modeled after, and that Rico never discovers the name of the Ruins spaceship in her exploration of it. Only the various areas of Gal De Val Island and No Man's Mines get a tag in-game, so it's nice to see you fleshing things out.

THE UGLY:

The only thing I really, genuinely dislike about your story has nothing to do with the story itself, but is from your pre-story post, namely:

To be straight with you, I'm posting this for critiques. A lack of comments will most likely result in me giving up on posting the rest, and finding elsewhere. It's not a lot to ask. If you're finding yourself not wanting to read on, say so. Say that it began boring you at X paragraph (or X sentence, if you have a really short attention span) and give me some help in making it less so.
I'll refrain from posting the full prologue just yet. Suffice to say that I'll post the rest when and if I get some comments from you lovely people.

Believe me, I know whereof you speak. An author wants nothing more than feedback, especially extensive, valuable feedback. I'd love to get more comments myself when I write. But ultimately, if you're writing fanfiction, you're not writing for a commercial audience but out of your own love of the games (and because writing is a craft and practice is always needed for everybody). There's nothing that turns me off a story more...well, okay, maybe "The canon characters enter into a slashed romance with an original Mary Sue while in an alternate universe setting where everyone's a high school student!"...than the author announcing "If I don't get any feedback I'm taking my pen and going home!" Frankly, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm very attracted to the story-thus-far and want to see the next chapter, I'd have passed by this thread and not responded specifically because of that.

Hopefully, Chapter One will be forthcoming soon!

Particle
Sep 5, 2007, 07:02 PM
I just wept. Really. That is by far the best thing I have ever seen posted about my fic in all the places I've planted it.
I'm glad you're enjoying it thus far, and that means everything to me, but what I'm really loving is the negatives you present. Knowing what people like and dislike is why I choose to post thse things on forums such as these.
I will address the negatives, naturally. I'll admit that my editting is usually conducted at 4am in the morning, which is hardly an excuse, I know, but I can assure you that 'matt' is the correct UK spelling of said word. I found this out the awkward way when my English teacher corrected the alien word 'matte' in my notes. Also, and this is something I'm a little more cautious about correcting, but don't you only put apostraphes in the cases where the subject is animate - that is to say 'living'? For example: 'the human's weapon', as opposed to 'the domes security door'. I've always been a bit... shall we say absent-minded when it comes to such things, so as I said, I could very well be making an arse of myself here. And as for 'smaller-framed'? Heh, what can I say? Things slip through the net. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
Lastly, I'd be lying if your last set of criticisms didn't make me wince; because they did, hard. But, you are very right, of course. There's no excuse for a writer to be so self-absorbed and selfish about his work. I apologise. But please understand that I tend to get a bit overzealous when I see views in the triple figures and yet no comments; I start to think that I'm boring people or they are simply uninterested, and thus, I refrain from posting any further chapters. A severe flaw, and one that, as you have said, immensely pushes possible readers away. It's a flaw that certainly needs purging, starting here and now. Of course, the irony of it all is almost laughable.
Regarding the canon and Cast debate... well, I never really took the Cast name from PSU as such, but rather than going into a long-winded explanation, suffice to say that in my version of the PSO universe, androids are regarded as a seperate race, and have thus been given a name as such - in this case, Cast. Which brings me on to canon. I will say here and now that I do 'cross the line' on more than one occasion with regards to the 'original' PSO canon, in favour of my own perspective of the world. That is not to say that I have completely discarded certain original plot elements without thought; I have thought things through, and I am happy with my take on things. And believe me, I will stick to my guns. Unfortunatley, it is this that ultimately worries me the most; I only hope my readers will receive it with an open mind when such elements present themselves, and take it as a breath of fresh air - rather than a blast of hot air.
Part two of the prologue should be up tomorrow, schoolwork permitting, of course. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Particle on 2007-09-05 17:14 ]</font>

AzureBlaze
Sep 6, 2007, 02:06 AM
You may stick to your guns, but will you stick to your story?

There's too many good stories on psow that get abandoned. I can't stand 'not knowing what happens'. Like that one girl who wrote a really funny/well done one about a human force and her maniacal PM klutzing around on Neudaiz, got to the climactic battle and then vanished.

I agree with Dezo here, in that the disclaimer has already caused me to skip reading any of your fic at all for fear of reading something that'll never have an ending I can access. Hopefully both sides will work out and PSOW will add another good story to it.

Particle
Sep 6, 2007, 03:32 AM
This will have an ending. There's is one very deciding factor at play here that ensures this: the ending is already set. In the depths of my laptop lies a folder that contains my own personal notes on every aspect of the story, from the beginning, middle and to the end; notes that have been drawn up over months and months of brainstorming. I'm not just making this up as I go along.
I'm disappointed your going to skip this fic, but considering the reasons, I can't very well blame you. Perhaps once it kicks off, you'll reconsider...

CupOfCoffee
Sep 6, 2007, 07:54 AM
Echoing Dezo, I think--yeah, there are some grammatical errors. The thing with apostrophes only applying to living things... ah, nope. Anything that possesses something else needs an apostrophe. And actually, in the same "mechanical vein," the thing that bothered me most wasn't the canon or anything like that. It was that you seem to have used some arbitrary descriptions, as if just to get more written.

The Dome stood quiet, silent as a grave. Covered in a years worth of moss, and a years worth of damage from the ever active and violent native species of Ragol. Only the constant hammering of the relentless rain storm that lingered in the skies above brought atmosphere to the surrounding forest and indeed to the Dome itself.

The Dome was as silent as a grave, but... there was hammering rain? And I would beg to differ about the rain being the only thing that brought it atmosphere. Silence and moss and damage is pretty atmospheric too. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

So yeah, overall pretty darn good. Just a few things here and there that might be caught by a proofreader or in some cases, a quick once-over in your typing program. And high five for planning the whole thing out ahead of time! That's the way to go, most definitely. Good luck with the schoolwork, and I hope to see the rest soon.

Particle
Sep 6, 2007, 06:09 PM
'Hammering rain'... you've never heard of the term before? It's meant to mean that the rain was increadibly heavy. But ah well, it's never been questioned before. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
And I did give it the once over with my writing program (Microsoft Works/Word), and it said nothing was wrong - except the odd names; it said those were wrong. But I digress. I proofread it fairly thoroughly, though, but seeing as there are some grammatical errors, I clearly have some work to do with regards to my skill at writing.
I'm still learning. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif
But yes, I regret it but I cannot post (nor did I get a chance to build on) the rest of the the prologue or chapter one, as I was in Glasgow pretty much all day - meeting The Proclaimers no less, which I think is fair enough. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
Tomorrow should rove more fruitful for all of us, I think.
Oh, and thank you for your comments Coffee, I'll be sure to work on those corrections tomorrow!

DezoPenguin
Sep 6, 2007, 06:19 PM
It's not the phrase he's questioning, but the juxtaposition of the description of the Dome area as silent with a "noisy" idiom like hammering to describe the rain. That is, silent, but with noise.

When I read it myself, I saw "hammering rain" as being more tactile, i.e. the force of the drops striking what they hit, rather than the drumbeats of the falling rain echoing off the flagstones and the metal walls, but I can see how it would strike someone the way CupOfCoffee saw it, too.

Particle
Sep 7, 2007, 02:12 PM
Ahh, I see what he means now. It did cross my mind when describing it as such, but what I was getting at was the sheer state of disrepair and inactivity that the Dome was in. A typical indicator of a large machine at work is the noise it gives off. So you see, I was describing the Dome itself, as opposed to the scene as a whole.
I hope you get my meaning here.