PDA

View Full Version : EDIT: Nevermind, it's offline now.

F-Gattaca
Sep 7, 2007, 01:06 AM
EDIT: I guess they were just late in the notification. PSU's site says they're offline now.

(Original post)

It's been a few minutes since maintenance should've kicked off ... I logged out earlier in the hour but there were no server maintenance warnings, like last week.

The PSU website also says that the servers are still online.

What's up with that? Are SoA's GMs getting sloppy or is there no maintenance this week?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-09-06 23:09 ]</font>

Pharaoh007
Sep 7, 2007, 01:11 AM
Ya I got disconnected but I never saw any warning

Fure_Rakune
Sep 7, 2007, 01:15 AM
I saw the one minute warning, but no others.

D1ABOLIK
Sep 7, 2007, 01:19 AM
So what.Why is everyone so quick to point out Segas flaws.Even if there was no warning its thursday and you know its coming.If it wasnt they would of told you.

AnnabellaRenee87
Sep 7, 2007, 01:22 AM
What are they updating? Its kinda funny because there shouldn't be any reason that they need to take the servers down for... (I'm a Network Administrator) If the Administrator (hell even the developers) knew how to administer the game they would never have to take the servers down (except to make a back up, but in that case thats why we have RAID 5 arrays, so we can have a self healing server)...... The only reason I can think of is that they are deleting TEMP files that have built up on the server....

F-Gattaca
Sep 7, 2007, 01:24 AM
On 2007-09-06 23:19, D1ABOLIK wrote:
So what.Why is everyone so quick to point out Segas flaws.Even if there was no warning its thursday and you know its coming.If it wasnt they would of told you.

I was afraid I'd get this kind of reaction just for posting this. Nevertheless, there's no need to get snippy.

If I were "quick to point out Sega's flaws" I'd have been angsting loudly the first week it happened. I'd have been threatening to quit PSU over the smallest things.

Or rather, I'd have quit PSU after the bigger and more compromising things. I'm still here, though. I'd like to think I'm not the type who screams murder with every update, lack of such, or mishap. I've seen those kinds of people in every MMORPG I've played and I'd rather not be one of them.

The tone of my post was curiosity about a possible change in how the GMs handle maintenance. It may be a sign of things to come, it may not be ... but it bears noting, considering what happened to PSO:BB.

On 2007-09-06 23:22, Neoistheone wrote:
(I'm a Network Administrator)

Out of curiosity: When you're herding servers, is it a good idea to restart them ever so often?

If it is, maybe that's part of the reason for weekly maintenance ... I can imagine the process of shutting down, restarting, and reinitializing the server software would take some time especially with how many servers Sega has.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-09-07 00:39 ]</font>

A2K
Sep 7, 2007, 02:30 AM
It doesn't really strike me as a "change" at all, really. As far as I know, they've been quite inconsistent when it comes to putting up scrolling warnings about maintenance coming up.

On 2007-09-06 23:22, Neoistheone wrote:
What are they updating? Its kinda funny because there shouldn't be any reason that they need to take the servers down for... (I'm a Network Administrator) If the Administrator (hell even the developers) knew how to administer the game they would never have to take the servers down (except to make a back up, but in that case thats why we have RAID 5 arrays, so we can have a self healing server)...... The only reason I can think of is that they are deleting TEMP files that have built up on the server....

Not all servers are created equal. Ones associated with RPGs, especially, are probably subject to several orders of magnitude more stress than say, your typical web server, and they would certainly require a higher level of upkeep to match.

In addition, Sega may make use of this time to implement or test transparent, server-only tweaks and updates that have minimal apparent effect to the end user.

Turbobrain
Sep 7, 2007, 02:35 AM
On 2007-09-06 23:24, F-Gattaca wrote:

On 2007-09-06 23:19, D1ABOLIK wrote:

I was afraid I'd get this kind of reaction just for posting this. Nevertheless, there's no need to get snippy.

If I were "quick to point out Sega's flaws" I'd have been angsting loudly the first week it happened. I'd have been threatening to quit PSU over the smallest things.

Or rather, I'd have quit PSU after the bigger and more compromising things. I'm still here, though. I'd like to think I'm not the type who screams murder with every update, lack of such, or mishap. I've seen those kinds of people in every MMORPG I've played and I'd rather not be one of them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-09-06 23:56 ]</font>

Don't worry dude. I posted the the 'other' site for about a week and was virtually e-ran off by a small but voal group of idiot fanboys because I dared to say Sega were les then perfect with what they were doing.

I'm not calling anyone anything here but there I learnt the fanboi's have no life, no logic for their arguements and will ABSOLOUTLY NOT STOP.

OT I don't know why in this age of RAID arrays, mirrors and what not why they need to shut down the whole thing for maintence. I mean I suppose as they are not doing anything more than a thorough 'defrag' and temp folder purge(I know a bit more than that!) I though it would be 'seemingles.

I know that the new IBM blades pretty much service and repair themselves... thats what the rep's say anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Turbobrain on 2007-09-07 00:37 ]</font>

D1ABOLIK
Sep 7, 2007, 04:34 AM
On 2007-09-06 23:06, F-Gattaca wrote:

What's up with that? Are SoA's GMs getting sloppy or is there no maintenance this week?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-09-06 23:09 ]</font>
Not a fan boy.Not attacking anyone.But he said he didnt attack Sega and if you read his sentence above he clearly did.I dont care either way.He is entitled to his opinion.But this is something stupid to complain about sega for.And "GMs getting sloppy" is obviously complaining. EDIT: I am in no way saying this game or sega doesnt have there problems and neither is perfect,but really though what is.....nothing. Except...nvm not gonna say it.dont wanna start PSOPSU war.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: D1ABOLIK on 2007-09-07 02:37 ]</font>

F-Gattaca
Sep 7, 2007, 05:37 AM
On 2007-09-07 02:34, D1ABOLIK wrote:
Not a fan boy.Not attacking anyone.But he said he didnt attack Sega and if you read his sentence above he clearly did.I dont care either way.He is entitled to his opinion.But this is something stupid to complain about sega for.And "GMs getting sloppy" is obviously complaining.

You "don't care either way," yet you obviously care enough to go after me. You care enough to keep pushing this idea that I'm a Bad Man for both my confusion and my observation, accusing me of mindlessly attacking Sega over something trivial.

Perhaps it'd help if I defined the word that so "obviously" signaled I was a Sega Hater. "Sloppy" in this context means lack of care or neatness. Let's see if I was truly storming Sega's gates by using such a word.

At the time when I made the post the site wasn't updated and, taken together with the lack of warnings, I was genuinely confused whether or not maintenance was going on. Notices about imminent shutdown are, contrary to your snide "So what? Everyone knows when maintenance is," useful to those people who don't have a clock handy for whatever reason. Same goes with the server status on the official site. Make of that what you will, but if SoA's GMs stop taking steps to inform players of imminent maintenance and then don't even keep the server status updated, that's clearly a lack of care.

No matter how much one loves or hates Sega, if they suddenly stop providing warnings of impending maintenance or no longer update their official site with information on when the servers are down, that's clearly a lack of care.

My post was rendered moot, though. The server status update wasn't forgotten, just late. It came up a short time after I posted. My confusion was pretty much answered, but I couldn't undo what I had posted.

I said before, I despise haters who mindlessly bash, and I've done my share of defending MMORPGs and their devs from them. Yet, just for making the observation I did, I'm apparently the equal of those very same people? The idiots who threaten to cancel their accounts, beg hackers to raid Sega's servers, and badmouth the company/devs/GMs endlessly, with language that'd make every trucker in the world blush?

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to accept that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-09-07 04:05 ]</font>

A2K
Sep 7, 2007, 06:21 AM
Well, this derailed rather fast. Considering that the original poster's matter is closed, I'm just going to go ahead and close this...