PDA

View Full Version : When does ST delete my chars?

Psycho_Sonic
Sep 8, 2007, 12:17 AM
I'm leaving for college in a couple weeks and they block everything P2P. ;_;

I'm gonna de-activate my account, but when does Sega actually delete my characters? I figure i'll just reactivate for a month whenever that time period comes up...

Anduril
Sep 8, 2007, 12:19 AM
Your characters are garunteed safe for 3 months. After that they may or may not be there anymore.

KaffeKane
Sep 8, 2007, 12:26 AM
Oh really? I thought they kept characters indefinitely?

Maybe you're thinking of FFXI, or another online game.

Anduril
Sep 8, 2007, 12:29 AM
On 2007-09-07 22:26, KaffeKane wrote:

No, it's this game. On the FAQ on the official website it states this. But seeing as there is no need to clear out the space they usually don't get deleted.

Psycho_Sonic
Sep 8, 2007, 12:29 AM
3 months? Gotcha, thanks.

KaffeKane
Sep 8, 2007, 12:31 AM
On 2007-09-07 22:29, Anduril wrote:

No, it's this game. On the FAQ on the official website it states this. But seeing as there is no need to clear out the space they usually don't get deleted.

That's so foreign to me...oh wow. I hope mine haven't suffered that fate yet. D: I'd have to rebuild everything from level 1.

F-Gattaca
Sep 8, 2007, 12:47 AM
On 2007-09-07 22:31, KaffeKane wrote:

That's so foreign to me...oh wow. I hope mine haven't suffered that fate yet. D: I'd have to rebuild everything from level 1.

It's in the game manual, too. When I read that I was surprised; I don't see why they would actually go and delete characters of an account that hasn't been played over three months. The only games I've seen that do this are browser based ones like Kingdom of Loathing.

Well, I guess A Tale in the Desert counts, too. Especially since they go through "tellings," at the conclusion of which the game starts over from scratch ...

Anyway, as far as I can recall, no one I know who's come back to the game after deactivating their account from more than three months ago has lost their characters. Therefore, I'm just hoping that they only delete characters in a worst case scenario. Who knows, it might even be just there to urge people to keep playing the game ever so often, if they want to hang onto their stuff ... but that goes into the conspiracy theory zone.

AzureBlaze
Sep 8, 2007, 01:00 AM
I was just gonna ask...is there ANYone who has ever been del off there?

From everything I've read...pretty much everywhere, no one ever has. I think it's there as some kind of 'fallback' plan for Sega to use if a mericle happened and people actually bought the game in droves over here like they did in JP. Because every account has (potentially) 4 stores, 4 dudes, 4 pms loaded with item data/decos w/e that has to hog a tad of space on their server. They'd want the 'useless' people off there rather than afford another server to support more active people. It's there so they can say "Oh but we said!"

I figure everything's pretty safe on pc/ps2 due to general lack of anyone ever on there, and with no advertising/we're not going to get anyone else to play this thing till AOI. And yea, instilling a bit of paranoia helps too. I know a dude who keeps buying it every 3mo even though his pc doesn't support it anymore just to be on the safe-side. At the very least, it keeps it on people's minds.

gapzi11a
Sep 8, 2007, 01:00 AM
Mine survived 7+ months with no deletion.

A2K
Sep 8, 2007, 01:03 AM
Clumsy himself stated a few weeks ago that he's unaware of any character deletions for inactivity just yet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-09-07 23:11 ]</font>

pikachief
Sep 8, 2007, 01:05 AM

obviously there is on 360, my friend left for about 4 months and she tried coming back and her character was gone http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Vicious1080
Sep 8, 2007, 05:04 AM
THat is pretty dumb, especially since we pay them a monthly fee. Honestly, are our characters taking up THAT much room?

relentless
Sep 8, 2007, 05:29 AM
I assume ST doesn't delete any chars on the PC / PS2 servers.

Like kitty said, I think it is possible though that people get deleted on the 360 if they don't come back for a long time period.

A2K
Sep 8, 2007, 11:57 AM
On 2007-09-08 03:04, Vicious1080 wrote:
THat is pretty dumb, especially since we pay them a monthly fee. Honestly, are our characters taking up THAT much room?

If you cancel, you're not paying the monthly fee anymore. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif