PDA

View Full Version : Are the Story missions even worth doing?

DavidNel
Sep 12, 2007, 01:47 PM
I've only done the 1st one, and I was wondering if it was worthwile to do these missions. Do you get items, meseta, or experiance in a large dose? I haven't played offline mode either, so that isn't a consern.

Turambar
Sep 12, 2007, 01:48 PM
S ranking a mission gives you 10 frags the first time you do it, IIRC

relentless
Sep 12, 2007, 01:51 PM
- 10 PA Fragments when S ranking a story mission on A rank
- By playing through the online story mode you get NPCs (meatshields) on the way http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif
- Umm, well, I guess if you're even asking that you're not interested in the story at all I guess. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
- For completeness and goggles http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
- Some people do it for fun or they're just bored

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SeKaI on 2007-09-12 11:51 ]</font>

DavidNel
Sep 12, 2007, 01:54 PM
Alright, I'll probably do some next week when I get bored...

Zorafim
Sep 12, 2007, 01:54 PM
The only reward you get for doing them is doing them. You don't gain anything from them, except the story (what little there is). Unless you love doing them, it's not worth doing them.

MSAksion
Sep 12, 2007, 02:44 PM
Problem is you have to do the same boring story mission 4 times if you have four characters to get the same useless NPC except for Tonnio. Nerfed Maya and the 450 PM from using their Rentis/Dizas shields now i hear.

Getting 10 PA Frags is a good idea but these solo missions are sooo boring. AND tough - you can't have your NPC Die which is pretty tough if you have no Star Atomizers or RESTA ability. Your NPC dont help CUT things unless you're up close - good luck if you're a force or ranger.

Not even voices or a way to skip the SAME BORING CUTSCENE! AND you have a time limit to get the S rank on A which means you'll need to be sooo overleveled to do A rank quickly enough which won't be till level 60+.

Plus... your friends mail spam you during the mission slowing me down XD i just can't stand having unread email ...

HFlowen
Sep 12, 2007, 02:52 PM
Some boxes have static drop rates. I used to farm one mission for a certain set of boxes because it dropped elemental photon 100% of the time.

bloodflowers
Sep 12, 2007, 02:55 PM
You get to see the words 'cast supremacy' in one of the later ones. This alone makes them worthwhile. Actually I found them a fun diversion, the monster attack style missions were great.

HFlowen
Sep 12, 2007, 02:56 PM
Also, "Price of genocide" is good for leveling some PA's because of how many damned pannons there are.

Bitey
Sep 12, 2007, 03:18 PM
AND tough - you can't have your NPC Die which is pretty tough if you have no Star Atomizers or RESTA ability.

That is not true. You can complete story mode missions if an NPC dies. If I remember correctly too, most of the missions do not even drop in rank if an NPC dies.

The biggest reason for me to complete story mode missions is to unlock some of them for future leveling and/or farming. Like mentioned already, boxes in story missions have fixed drops like Photons, Mates, and even Groovy Juice. Some items like Tears of light only drop from story monsters. Other missions have monster set ups that are ideal for PA leveling; like Rescuing Hyuga, you get to fight 100 machines that all spawn in the same two rooms, one of the best places to level Megid or Killer Shot.

Silve
Sep 12, 2007, 03:56 PM
I wonder if playing story missions on AoI will give you the expanded story, but online. (New cutscenes, levels, bosses to match up with the offline game)

Menochi
Sep 12, 2007, 04:01 PM
On 2007-09-12 12:44, MSAksion wrote:
Problem is you have to do the same boring story mission 4 times if you have four characters to get the same useless NPC except for Tonnio. Nerfed Maya and the 450 PM from using their Rentis/Dizas shields now i hear.

Getting 10 PA Frags is a good idea but these solo missions are sooo boring. AND tough - you can't have your NPC Die which is pretty tough if you have no Star Atomizers or RESTA ability. Your NPC dont help CUT things unless you're up close - good luck if you're a force or ranger.

Not even voices or a way to skip the SAME BORING CUTSCENE! AND you have a time limit to get the S rank on A which means you'll need to be sooo overleveled to do A rank quickly enough which won't be till level 60+.

Plus... your friends mail spam you during the mission slowing me down XD i just can't stand having unread email ...

My 65 fG tears through these missions on A rank with ease. Its just a matter of if you've leveled up your PAs or not. Voices and cutscenes will be added when these are in AoI.

Do themm if you want some quick fraqs, interested in the story, or want partner cards. Otherwise, the only notable drops are love letter, grinna bete S statue, and harisen mats/boards.

Dragwind
Sep 12, 2007, 04:08 PM
I think they're entertaining to a degree. I also see the npc partner cards as a bonus (somewhat)

Mysterious-G
Sep 12, 2007, 04:14 PM
Story Missions may be worth playing once for getting the npc cards, but not being able to let them die really sucks. But before they die, I do cause the missions are way too boring.
And the pa frags? I will never get S there on A. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

funnymatt
Sep 12, 2007, 05:18 PM
There are also the harisen fans that are only avilable through the 1st story mission.

pikachief
Sep 12, 2007, 05:24 PM
On 2007-09-12 14:01, Menochi wrote:

On 2007-09-12 12:44, MSAksion wrote:

My 65 fG tears through these missions on A rank with ease. Its just a matter of if you've leveled up your PAs or not. Voices and cutscenes will be added when these are in AoI.

Do themm if you want some quick fraqs, interested in the story, or want partner cards. Otherwise, the only notable drops are love letter, grinna bete S statue, and harisen mats/boards.

wat mission does the love letter drop in?

Zorafim
Sep 12, 2007, 05:42 PM
I've never been able to get anything other than a C on A rank, even being lv80 (though I started at lv60). I just don't have enough PP to last me that long. But, I just do it because it's entertaining. I'm spending all this time getting Levia stronger, it's nice being able to do something with that strength.

KTani
Sep 12, 2007, 05:57 PM
On 2007-09-12 15:24, pikachief wrote:
wat mission does the love letter drop in?

Chapter 10 apparently. Also, there's a lot of wrong information in this thread. I do story missions all the time for frags and exp, and for the partner cards too of course. Let me set some things straight:

1) Unless your mission is to protect someone (ie Tomrain) NPC deaths do not count against you. Time is the main requirment, although most missions also require you to kill all enemies.

2) Getting an S on an A rank trial will get you 10 PA Fragments. This is true for each trial, so you can get 20 frags per chapter. However you can only get the frags once; S-ranking a second time will not give you any frags.

3) Some chapters contain exclusive drops. Chapter 1 has a trio that drop Neta Note, [B] Harisen Battle Fan, [B] Twin Harisen Fan, and Dogma Drop, which can only be acquired from this chapter. Supposedly chapter 10 has the Love Letter, we'll have to wait til Friday to find out if that's true for us. Tear of Light and Grinna Bete S are NOT story exclusive.

4) To acquire a partner card, you must complete the entire chapter. That includes both trials, and any "free battles" that occur. You get the card last thing before returning to the Guardians HQ. You cannot get Lacaim Nav's card, for some reason.

Most of the PA frags I've gotten have come from story mode. I even got the 10 from chasing the kid in chapter 9. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Also, my GH450 has a B. Stat around 50, and has never used Dizas or Rentis. Wrong model number. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Gen2000
Sep 12, 2007, 06:01 PM
Chapter 9-1 makes for a good tech spam area.

Also if you're a War/Fortetecher, you can get Leo (if you don't have it already) and Tonnio card which means Double Power Nanoblast spam when solo'ing which makes solo'ing 10x easier in some cases.

danny_o
Sep 13, 2007, 09:59 AM
They are very much worth it.

Someone mentioned Rescuing Hyuga mission is good for leveling Megid or Killer Shot, that mission is actually good for raising any TECHNIC, even Lightning ones. You fight 100 robots/bees and there is no excessive distance to cover and you can quit out right after you get the winnings. On A rank for that one you get 2k meseta and 24 MP, which is really good if you can finish it in 10 minutes...not as good as HSM, but stupidly easy. And you can net around 5k xp, enemies that give 58~50 xp each x 100 - (what-ever-stupid-Laia-finishes-off) = 5k xp!