PDA

View Full Version : Agh people....they cant use computers if thier lives depende

VIRIDIA_HUNTER
Sep 17, 2007, 06:25 PM
ok i go to a library to go online sometimes when im bored. They also have a system that enables you to be able to book a computer for a certain amount of time. and you get 2 hours of internet use a day. so anyways theres all these stupid asses that dont know how to use a computer, I always see people asking a librarian how to log on and all this stupid shit even though the directions are right on the computer!!!!!! so anyways the idiocy of people just totally ruined my day.

I booked a computer for an hour today at the library. as i waited until it turned 3:00 (that was the time i booked it for, 3-4 o clock) i read some books. then 3:00 came. i went to the computer i booked and there was (surprise) an idiot sitting there who hadnt even logged on yet. I told him i booked the computer for 3 o' clock. He said how do you book a computer? are you lying? and he said that he was here first so he gets to go on. (meanwhile i thinking OMG u stupid dumbass i booked it!!!) Then he got a phone call on his cellphone. he said wait a minute i have a call. I sware that guy talked forever on it. (it was actually 1/2 an hour SO RUDE!!!!).

Then he spent over 20 minutes trying to log on and kept asking me why he couldnt log on. (when you book a computer nobody else can log on but you, you put in your library card number and pin to log on). I told him it was because I booked it. FINALLY HE GOT OFF he said ok i guess this computer doesnt work or something you can have it. so finally i was able to get on. Yeah i know this story is so pathetic, I need to blow some steam so sorry if this sounds stupid to you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VIRIDIA_HUNTER on 2007-09-17 16:26 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Sep 17, 2007, 06:33 PM
I understand your frustration, it's like when I see people type as if they smash their fucking faces into the keyboard. It really, really bugs me, well at least if English is supposed to be their primary language or at least one they purport to be fluent in :/

VIRIDIA_HUNTER
Sep 17, 2007, 06:39 PM
I see somebody bang their head on the keyboard every time im at the library cause they cant use it. their so stupid i just cant believe it cause the directions are right there

omegapirate2k
Sep 17, 2007, 06:42 PM
"WHERES THE ANY KEY?!???"

VIRIDIA_HUNTER
Sep 17, 2007, 06:44 PM
u mean where is the key thatll make thier brainzzzzzz work

omegapirate2k
Sep 17, 2007, 07:00 PM
On 2007-09-17 16:44, VIRIDIA_HUNTER wrote:
u mean where is the key thatll make thier brainzzzzzz work

Thats not included in the current version, sorry http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Sinue_v2
Sep 17, 2007, 07:54 PM
I had a situation with someone who doesn't know crap about computers that actually made me smile, rather than get pissed. My sister had me work on her computer because it's an older system and my niece had apparently been shutting down the virus scanners and firewalls when she was videochatting and downloading off limewire. So the inevitable happens and she loads the system up with a lot of viruses and spyware. So I go in, fix her system, and set up her security back up. Of course, my niece blames it all on her friend who used the computer while she was sleeping.

Now, I don't ever charge family for PC work, but I told her if she screws up the computer again even if her friend does it, she needs to take responsibility for allowing her friend to do so), she is going to have to sit down with me and work on it with me. It's going to be a very interactive experience, and I'm going to teach her about fixing these things. I will NOT come out to their house every month to spend a day fixing their fuckups. This happens on a regular basis. She's lucky, at least, when I fucked my system up as a kid I didn't have ANYONE to turn to... not even the internet since it wasn't in my calling area yet. I had to figure this shit out myself.

So anyhow, my sister stops out today for a visit and mentions that her computer is down and she's going to have to pay to get it repaired. Oh? Apparently her "ex" was over using the PC and did something to FireFox that prevented it opening properly. She can't surf the internet, and the problem is so bad that even Internet Explorer won't work. It's not her internet connection, since she can still use LimeWire , Messanger services, and other internet based applications. She just can't surf the web. She "said" that her "ex" deleted the FireFox shortcut off of her desktop because he didn't know she wanted it, and that was the cause of the problems.

Er.. no... computers do not work that way.

So then it hits me, and it's just a theory, but a year ago when she was living with my mom I came out for a visit. My niece had been giving her phone number and address out over Myspace and generally doing some pretty dangerous activities. So I edit the HOSTS file to prevent her access to Myspace as a punishment. I eventually had to take some stronger measures (white listing) when I found she was using proxys to get around her punishment.

So when my sister moves out, I come over and remove the white list and other measures - but I forgot to remove the changes I made to the HOSTS file. Since then, she hasn't been able to get on Myspace reliably and apparently the proxys she uses are a pain in the ass for her to use.

So my theory is that my niece had gotten some bad advice from a ill-informed friend at school and managed to FUBAR the PC's ability to surf the net. I wouldn't know exactly how without seeing the system myself, and my sister never asked for my help. I guess that if I worked on it, I'd know what would have happened and then her darling daughter would have to take responsibility for her actions and be "humiliated" by having to learn about the very device she continually fucks up.

And to give you some perspective on my niece - she reminds you of a fat (very) Paris Hilton wannabe crossed with a tobacca spittin, truck drivin, redneck. Lernin iz for doorks! Tha South wil rize agin!

So hence, I smile... because a $300 repair bill is more palatable to her than her than her daughter suffering the indignity of education and responsibility.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-09-17 17:58 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Sep 18, 2007, 12:44 AM
Heh, reminds me of recently when the tech guy at college came into the computers class I'm currently in after the test to figure out what preventing a girl from taking the test from her laptop. He instantly notices she has a shortcut to Limewire and starts spewing drivel about how it is never turned off, that it allows for anyone to do anything to your computer, and that it is impossible to uninstall and the only option is to reinstall the OS. Mind you, he goes on and on about this for a good ten minutes completely ignoring the issue at hand. He finally starts to get down to business when he notices she is using her cell phone as her method of going online, when the school has an open wireless network on a T3 connection for all students. He then goes on about how she should use that rather than her cellphone and decides to backtrack and continue ranting about the evils of Limewire. By this time I had finished my work and just decided I couldn't take anymore and left.

While I don't use Limewire, I know enough about it to know that while it is easy to get pretty bad shit from it, that it doesn't do all of what he was saying it does. If I hadn't known who he was I would've thought he was someone from the MPAA/RIAA spewing their generic bullshit to scare her off of P2P activity. I'm just disappointed that someone like him would go off on tangents like that rather than solve her issue with her school work, afterall that is all she wanted was to take the test and be over with it.

It's things like that, that account for computer ignorance as much as anything. People do seek help, like that girl, but unfortunately like anything people that have a very strong background in computers are prone to going off tangent rather than give solutions. On the flip side you get people who genuinely want to help but can't, or that really think they are helping but in fact have no clue what they are talking about and simply make matters worse.

I have a lot of complaints about how people in tech fields tend to just spew bias and completely ignore the 'lesser peons'. They also tend to get in 'comfort' zones and refuse to even test out new products stating how they 'read a review' about how 'that new version/part sucks because of...." Good God, you're in the tech industry. It's supposed to change, and with change comes good and bad. Grow up and at least test the product first hand, thoroughly, before you start spewing your garbage. Same goes for you assholes that get hard-ons for a specfic company, or from the bashing of a specific company. You might just be surprised to see that there is a reason competition is still around. Getting a woody from writing an article on how such-and-such a company sucks really shows your level of maturity and just how much your word should be valued.

Weeaboolits
Sep 18, 2007, 01:24 AM
It's like how my stepdad gets mad when firefox takes a long time to start, "we have cable, it should come up right away!", that doesn't have a damn thing to do with how fast the browser starts up, honestly, how many times must I tell him this? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

KodiaX987
Sep 18, 2007, 06:13 AM
On 2007-09-17 23:24, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
How many times must I tell him this? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Infinity.