PDA

View Full Version : A question of style: single weapon combos

Darkly
Sep 18, 2007, 03:45 PM
Having recently made a protranser, my only single handed combo is the saber and pistol. It is a useful combo but i find that having them both equipped looks a little silly.

Ever noticed when your spamming gravity strike for example your left arm kind of coils up, looking a little silly. In reality i prefer going around with just a saber or just a pistol as my b'duki hadoc looks way more badass that way.

My thought is wouldn't it be cool if you could get special 'combo' pa's that used the pistol and saber for example in tandem?

However I would like to explain that these combos wouldn't be broken, infact they would just be an alternate saber pa.
e.g. the first hit would be a quick few slashes of the saber, followed up by the second hit, which would stab the saber into the enemy causing stun and the final hit would then be an animation where the character pulls out the saber and raises his left hand at the same time to shoot the pistol 3 times causing knock back.

I know this is just a fantasy but i've always wished for a way 2 single handed weapons could work together.

So has anybody else thought up interesting single handed 'combo' pa's ?

Dein
Sep 18, 2007, 03:48 PM
It's just a pipe dream but being able to use a saber in the right hand and a dagger in the left hand would be awesome on a lot of levels. It'd also break the game badly too. >.>

omegapirate2k
Sep 18, 2007, 03:48 PM
That would be pretty neat, or if they did it the other way around and had incentives for holding a single handed weapon alone.

But I wouldn't count on it.

Jet1337
Sep 18, 2007, 03:54 PM
On 2007-09-18 13:48, omegapirate2k wrote:
That would be pretty neat, or if they did it the other way around and had incentives for holding a single handed weapon alone.

But I wouldn't count on it.

Which is why you'll never see a Fortegunner using that shit Storm/Storm Line combo.

omegapirate2k
Sep 18, 2007, 03:57 PM
Oh I'd imagine most fortegunners would use a storm pistol fairly actively if they picked it up, using it alongside a melee weapon for the rare times when it's more prudent to melee then to shoot.

Until something better came their way, of course.

Jet1337
Sep 18, 2007, 03:59 PM
The point of a Fortegunner is to shoot/blow up stuff. Since you can't get Rising Strike to 11, what's the fucking point of even going melee??? There aren't ever times when I had to go melee. Mayalee Prism > Melee

omegapirate2k
Sep 18, 2007, 04:01 PM
I can agree on maylee prism being greater than melee, but it's not always that helpful for everyone else.

Darkly
Sep 18, 2007, 04:01 PM
it's not that handguns arn't very good its that there is better weapons available, however in a class like protranser, its high rate of fire, mobility and SE3 make it quite useful, because protransers weapons are heavy type, with low mobility.

At omegapirate2k, I like your idea, kind of like holding a saber alone would let you weild it two handed for a small damage increase?

-Ryuki-
Sep 18, 2007, 04:02 PM
Well, what I normally do is~

Rising Strike's first combo > Strafe-shoot forward > Full Rising Strike combo.

The same can be said about Shunbu.

Shunbu's first combo > Strafe-shoot forward > Shunbu full combo.

As for Buten and Gravity Strike, no clue.

omegapirate2k
Sep 18, 2007, 04:02 PM
On 2007-09-18 14:01, Darkly wrote:
At omegapirate2k, I like your idea, kind of like holding a saber alone would let you weild it two handed for a small damage increase?

Well, no new animations or anything, just a damage or speed increase I suppose.

Jet1337
Sep 18, 2007, 04:04 PM
But protransers can't use S-rank pistols yet. And they also can't even equip the Storm Line because it's a Fortegunner-only armor.

-Ryuki-
Sep 18, 2007, 04:06 PM
That's not the point.

Jet1337
Sep 18, 2007, 04:13 PM
What's the point?

Darkly
Sep 18, 2007, 04:16 PM
Jet1337 i was just trying to explain handguns do have their uses.

RyukiZero - i too run forward shooting then use a stun pa, its not that these combos don't work well, its that i just wish they had some kind of move in which one of the weapons didn't have to stick it out by the sidelines so to speak.

Jet1337
Sep 18, 2007, 04:18 PM
Twin Handguns make single handguns (especially for Fortegunners) obsolete, unless single handguns have a higher SE than Twin Handguns.

omegapirate2k
Sep 18, 2007, 04:23 PM
On 2007-09-18 14:18, Jet1337 wrote:
Twin Handguns make single handguns (especially for Fortegunners) obsolete, unless single handguns have a higher SE than Twin Handguns.

Protransers don't have twin handguns, and the ability to stun enemies while at the same time still being able used ranged attack is quite nice, although mechguns, cards and crossbows tend to outshine the pistol, for classes that don't have access to any of those (IE Protranser and Fortefighter), it's a fairly useful combo.

Menochi
Sep 18, 2007, 04:29 PM

Twins: SE2

Handgun: SE3

Fure_Rakune
Sep 18, 2007, 04:30 PM

And you answered yourself in your closing line, pistols get SE3 at 21+.

omegapirate2k
Sep 18, 2007, 04:31 PM
On 2007-09-18 14:29, Menochi wrote:

Twins: SE2

Handgun: SE3

Ouch.

XD

Zorafim
Sep 18, 2007, 04:35 PM
On 2007-09-18 13:48, Dein wrote:
...being able to use a saber in the right hand and a dagger in the left hand would be awesome on a lot of levels...

Darkly
Sep 18, 2007, 04:46 PM
I suppose ST could easily make these pa's, relase them as pa frag pa's come expansion, I know it won't happen though, since these combos are only for show anyway.

Ps. Please no-one tell me how much better the crossbow is than a handgun, as certain classes can't use the crossbow.

omegapirate2k
Sep 18, 2007, 04:51 PM
On 2007-09-18 14:46, Darkly wrote:
Ps. Please no-one tell me how much better the crossbow is than a handgun, as certain classes can't use the crossbow.

I said its better for classes who can use it.

Darkly
Sep 18, 2007, 04:57 PM
Sorry omega, I wasn't referring to you as you explained that crossbows etc. are better for classes which can use it. Which is exactly how i feel.

Menochi
Sep 18, 2007, 05:04 PM
Handguns are just as annoying as crossbow to level, if not more. But unless you NEED the spread a crossbow does, a handgun works fine. Its more situational than a laser cannon used to be, but I still occasionally use it over crossbow, even as a fortegunner.

omegapirate2k
Sep 18, 2007, 05:08 PM
On 2007-09-18 15:04, Menochi wrote:
Handguns are just as annoying as crossbow to level, if not more. But unless you NEED the spread a crossbow does, a handgun works fine. Its more situational than a laser cannon used to be, but I still occasionally use it over crossbow, even as a fortegunner.

When it is useful for certain situations I simply can't be bothered to fill my PA slots with pistol PAs when I have so many other, generally more useful things I can use instead.

But when AoI rolls around and we get the PA to Disk system, I might reconsider using them, but we'll see.

biggabertha
Sep 18, 2007, 07:09 PM
I personally love the no-nonsense of a handgun and saber combo. Handguns look like a handgun and sabers look like a saber. What other single handed weapons look exactly what they are to be? Okay, fair enough, some of the daggers look like daggers but the Yohmei A rank daggers? Aside from Crea-zashi, the others look REALLY bad no matter how awesome the PA is. Claws are cool but they have other disadvantages such as PP management issues.

As for the left handed weapons, Handguns have awesome accuracy bullets, able to go into first person, great rate of fire and not only that, SE3. Grab a B'duki Hadoc if you want some slick stylings. Heh heh, there' s a lot of benefits for having a single handed weapon in each hand such as being able to fire Burning Hit from your pistol while approaching your target, getting it to burn then coming in with either Rising Strike or Gravity Strike to keep the enemy in the air or deal heavy amounts of damage.

Gravity Strike does have that odd left arm curl but you still get that if you don't have a gun in hand, you just won't notice it as much because the arm doesn't look as long or as stiff but do note that not always having your hands full, you don't have as much versatility as you could have.

I feel your pain though, there are some things I wish you could have but in all honesty, I didn't make the game and I enjoy it but there are some things that I don't like but I can't do much about it.

panzer_unit
Sep 19, 2007, 10:36 AM
I use melee PA all the time as a Fortegunner, of course that might just be 'cause I got used to it as a Protranser first... all the same, you can flip a small monster or two and can run around them as a barrier against other enemies trying to close in. Pretty basic solo-fighting maneuver. Some of the sabers I've got are like 38% and even a crap Fortegunner PA with them is ridiculously damaging, especially against bullet-resistant enemies.

I've usually got Photon Charges on my item palette, I'll frequently wield a single-hand weapon on its own if I'm going to be recharging it a lot. Mechguns, really high-% melee weapons... they run out quickly and are worth spamming heavily sometimes.

Mayalee Prism and grenades are immobile and deal knockback instead of launch, while Mayalee Fury can't be used front-on. IMO they're only of any use for helping teammates.

Zorak000
Sep 19, 2007, 12:09 PM
lol, saber-dagger combo... if we could do that I would make a male human named either leon or judas right now.

cookie to whomever knows what I'm talking about.