PDA

View Full Version : guys as girls???

ravenraine
Sep 19, 2007, 10:12 PM
I have only been playing for a coupla months and usually I don't party but when I do I have noticed that ALOT of real guys have female characters and I was just curious why??? Does it have to do with the "luck" or what???

Zorafim
Sep 19, 2007, 10:14 PM
Edit: Erm, the picture I used somehow changed, and is no longer appropriate for this topic (or humanity). To keep the continually of this topic, I'll simply keep it in emote form.

/facepalm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-10-12 11:16 ]</font>

HFlowen
Sep 19, 2007, 10:14 PM
Aesthetics I guess.

GenesisDX
Sep 19, 2007, 10:17 PM
Better stats

Fatima
Sep 19, 2007, 10:18 PM
I guess....most of them would prefer to stare at boobs and curves for the next 100 lvs....also...if they are a female newman, it could be for the stats...or..it could be for roleplaying purposes. Or even better yet, because there are tons of loli-pervs out there who give hand outs to cute little girl characters. =D

HFlowen
Sep 19, 2007, 10:20 PM
The stat difference is very small.

they do have an extra 2 STA though.

ravenraine
Sep 19, 2007, 10:22 PM
[email protected],I was wondering if some might do it to scam but...being a new player i didn't really KNOW for sure...really just curious though...

-Ryuki-
Sep 19, 2007, 10:24 PM
No one cares about the stats much when playing as women.

They play it for the sure pervertedness that lies within them.

And yes. G.a.Gs exist plenty.

Germ
Sep 19, 2007, 10:26 PM
I have always played a female toon, IMO they just look better and usually have more accessories and customization options. If anyone asks I will tell them I am a male in RL.

Fatima
Sep 19, 2007, 10:28 PM
*nod nod* It was far worse on PSO...My brother who played a female character (because it was his own character from his art) got hit on ALOT. He still does sometimes, which I find rather amusing...since his current character is on the verge of being an amazon. lol
But hey, I'm not complaining. I got plenty of money and items from guys who have nothing better to do but hit on vitural chicks. =3

EDIT: yes, the person above me has a point. they always get more points of customization. Since guys don't typically wear make-up...and stuff...though..they should get fancy things too...V_V;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fatima on 2007-09-19 20:29 ]</font>

ljkkjlcm9
Sep 19, 2007, 10:30 PM
girls play as guys too... it's just a choice.

THE JACKEL

EJ
Sep 19, 2007, 10:32 PM
or maybe some guys have already 2 males on other slots and want to have to females as the last 2 slots to make it even?

Also I have 2 female because it goes for my rpg and the characters I have on pso.

Zorafim
Sep 19, 2007, 10:36 PM
Has it never occurred to anyone that somebody may prefer a female model to a male one, even for non-perverted reasons? Why does everyone always have to assume that we need a reason?

ravenraine
Sep 19, 2007, 10:39 PM
I was sincerely just asking...like I said...I am new to the game and find it amusing...my friend at work plays WOW and she said that it is the same on that game so I was curious if there was a legitimate reason or if guys just get bored and want a different character or what...no big deal...shut this post down if it is offending anyone as that was not my intention...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ravenraine on 2007-09-19 20:49 ]</font>

Syl
Sep 19, 2007, 10:47 PM
On 2007-09-19 20:30, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
it's just a choice.

Couldn't have been said any better. Also applies to Levia's statement.

On 2007-09-19 20:24, RyukiZero wrote:

They play it for the sure pervertedness that lies within them.

You have 2 female chars no? <_<

Zorafim
Sep 19, 2007, 10:52 PM
On 2007-09-19 20:39, ravenraine wrote:
I was sincerely just asking...

Not you. You were being civilized about it. I was talking to everyone else who talks about this. It's so annoying being called a pervert, homo, stat elitist, etc. just because I prefer a female model.

See that fish I have in my sig? I want to see that butcher an army of demons. Not some hot blooded effeminate spiked haired sword slinger I've seen plenty of times before.

Chaobo99
Sep 19, 2007, 10:53 PM
I know a guy character than is really a girl o.o...

Vicious1080
Sep 19, 2007, 10:54 PM
I always find a bit strange on xbox, listening to a male voice with a female avatar.

Zorafim
Sep 19, 2007, 10:55 PM
On 2007-09-19 20:54, Vicious1080 wrote:
I always find a bit strange on xbox, listening to a male voice with a female avatar.

You know, I can actually see that as an oddity.

DarkEliteRico
Sep 19, 2007, 10:56 PM
I've got 2 male chars, and 2 female chars. I prefer the female chars because of the animations and the voices whenever i can hear them cast and hit among the action. The curves aren't bad either. My male characters seem to follow my personal style more, kinda dark but cheery as well.

pikachief
Sep 19, 2007, 11:00 PM
On 2007-09-19 20:28, Fatima wrote:
*nod nod* It was far worse on PSO...My brother who played a female character (because it was his own character from his art) got hit on ALOT. He still does sometimes, which I find rather amusing...since his current character is on the verge of being an amazon. lol
But hey, I'm not complaining. I got plenty of money and items from guys who have nothing better to do but hit on vitural chicks. =3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fatima on 2007-09-19 20:29 ]</font>

yea i've gotten hit on on Kitty way mreo than i thought i would XD

omg i'll never forget the time some guy was so desperate he made a fat male beast named puppy T_T

ever since then i have stayed very very far away from fat characters when playing as kitty http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Wallin
Sep 19, 2007, 11:16 PM
I'm with Zorafim, why does this always come down to being a pervert? How many animes, video games, fantasy novels, etc. are out there that stereotype classes by gender?

In the Final Fantasy universe, almost every single magic user is a female and this also means that all of them are ranged weapon users (bows, whips, guns, etc.) or they are only meant for the back row.

FF I: I don't know about you guys, but when I played the original game, I thought the white mage was female, apparently so do other people (8-Bit Theater is a webcomic that treats the white mage as a girl and black mage hits on her all the time).

FF1 IV: Rosa was a white mage and an archer, Rydia was a white mage and black mage and then summoner, Porom was a white mage.

FF VI: Terra and Celes were the only two characters that had magic when they first joined your group, and Relm's ability allows her to draw pretty pictures of rainbows and bunnies.

FF VII: Aeris' limit breaks are all healing or defensive, she freaking starts in the back row when she first joins the party because it's so obvious that she sucks offensively, and whenever she casts magic her and her staff float in the air.

FF VIII: Rinoa's limit break sent her into a tranced state where she would only cast spells and she also used a ranged weapon, Quistis was blue magic and the whip is a ranged weapon. Even the Sorceress Edea is a pure magic user.

FF IX: Garnet was a white mage and summoner, so was Eiko.

FFX: Yuna was a summoner as her first class and Lulu was a black mage as her original class.

Notice how any female that isn't a caster also wears an incredibly short skirt or has big breasts (Tifa, Selphie, Ashe... oops, forgot Rikku). I only watched my brother play FF12, so I don't really know what Penelo's starting class was. The only other exceptions in Final Fantasy? Freya was a melee female, and Vivi, Palom, and Tellah were male magic users. Even in FF Adventure, the girl Sara who follows the hero at the beginning and at the end boss will heal you on command.

Lina Inverse from Slayers is a black magic sorceress, both Amelia and Sylphiel were shrine maidens (Martina didn't even have a class, she was entirely useless outside of comic relief), and then Filia was also a shrine maiden. Deedlit from Lodoss Wars is a summoning elf. Nina from Breath of Fire is a black magic user, and even Bleu is a master of spells. Zelda is a magic user with the Triforce of Wisdom. Even in PSU, Mirei Mikuna is a priestess who sucks offensively. In Lord of the Rings, the very first elf you meet (at least in the movie, I didn't read the books) is a female who uses magic. There are drawing books for manga dedicated to creating magical girls. This stuff is freaking everywhere, it's like neon flashing signs in Vegas!

While I don't stereotype genders like this in real life, you really can't blame me for doing it in an online game when it's pretty much the standard. I was practically raised on the Final Fantasy series, like I'm sure most people are. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif It's roleplaying - like I said in my other post yesterday, did you freak out in FF VII when Cloud went missing and you had to take control of Tifa for a few hours? It's just a game.

(How did you people manage to even play through FF VII? What did you do in Wall Market when you had to cross-dress for Don Corneo? Let me guess, you didn't even bother to get the good wig, or the sexy cologne, or the lingerie... I bet you gagged when you had to answer the dress maker that you wanted something that was 'soft and shimmers'... good lord... LOL)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wallin on 2007-09-19 21:31 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Sep 19, 2007, 11:18 PM
On 2007-09-19 20:55, Zorafim wrote:

You get used to it, eventually.

panzer_unit
Sep 19, 2007, 11:59 PM
People are a lot more outgoing and helpful towards a female character. The difference after rolling my female alt blew me away.

On the one hand, a female character in PSU is just that... we've all played tons of offline games where the main character's female. Really its no big deal, except for Final Fantasy X2, apparently playing that one actually makes you gay*.

On the other hand you're dealing with other people and they're just going to assume you're female to some degree, because your character is usually the only clue out there. Now as much as everyone rags on RP in online RPG's... everyone sort of acts out their character just a little. I can't think of anyone I've ever met in PSU that was like "yeah I'm some fat guy sitting on my couch eating cheesies and playing a videogame" to start rather than "hi I'm BigStrong the fighter" or "I'm such cute little newmie catgirl! nyo~~~ desu! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif" even though there's like a 75% chance they too are fat guys sitting on a couch playing a videogame with one hand in a bag of cheesies**. For me, I stopped playing my Caseal because it just comes up too frequently... "sorry, I'm just some guy trying to play a videogame here. not to put too fine a point on it but so are you. just a jarring reminder that guardians, seed, awesome PA's yeah its all makebelieve. let's get back to mindlessly collecting synth materials for stuff that's going to suck or fail outright... and hunting statistically impossible drops?"

* BRB I've got to jump Rikku into her berzerker outfit half a dozen times http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif~~~~

** or a box of pocky

BFGfreak
Sep 20, 2007, 12:03 AM
On 2007-09-19 21:18, omegapirate2k wrote:

On 2007-09-19 20:55, Zorafim wrote:

You get used to it, eventually.

Of coarse, if you have a girl playing as a guy character, well, you can have some fun with that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

KOS-MOSII
Sep 20, 2007, 12:05 AM
There's really nothing wrong with guys playing a female character unless if your trying to hit on girls online. I use a female character because every video game that I play features a male main character, so why not use female instead.

TetsuyaHikari
Sep 20, 2007, 12:10 AM
Well, my reasoning for playing as female characters is simple really, and it isn't perverted. It's simply because, those are the characters I like..and they happen to be female, so naturally...I'm not going to try and make a male LOOK like a female character I like, when I could just..*gasp* make a F-E-M-A-L-E!

Seriously though, I have two slots for female characters:

Saber Ver 2.0 (Based off of the anime/manga character, "Saber" from the series, "Fate/Stay Night")

Rally Vincent (Based off of the anime/manga character, "Rally Vincent" from the series, "Gunsmith Cats")

I don't think in a perverted manner towards either of those characters. I think both characters have an interesting personality and sure, both of them are attractive, but..there's a difference in saying:

"Wow..she's really attractive"

and

"Hurr hurr..look at the boobs on that one http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif"

So, no..I don't think about either of them in a perverted manner. I DO however..think that some people need to realize that not EVERY single guy that creates a female character is a pervert.

I hate being put in the same category as someone else when I'm not like that.

In any case, I'm sure there are guys out there who will create female characters for perverted reasons and will try to scam others, but..I'm not one of them XP

EDIT: Also, one more thing I'd like to add. One other thing some people need to realize is..just because the person behind the controller is a guy, doesn't mean the character has to be or SHOULD be as well. This is ROLEPLAYING.

We play the game to be someone we can't be in the real world..to do things we can't do in the real world..maybe even to be a different GENDER.

It's about the character, not the person behind the character. I roleplay a lot on Yahoo and such, and I can't STAND it when someone sends me an IM with, "A/S/L?". That information is TOTALLY irrelevant.

All the people should be focusing on is what is in front of them. The characters. Trust me...most of you probably would NOT want to see what these people behind these characters look like, lol..so maybe you should just focus more on the characters, don't ya think?

Okay, I'm done now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kikumaru on 2007-09-19 22:16 ]</font>

beatrixkiddo
Sep 20, 2007, 12:12 AM
jam it in

Shishi-O
Sep 20, 2007, 12:23 AM
On 2007-09-19 20:12, ravenraine wrote:
I have only been playing for a coupla months and usually I don't party but when I do I have noticed that ALOT of real guys have female characters and I was just curious why??? Does it have to do with the "luck" or what???

stats, luck, tombraider syndrome, but its not to get guys.

the gay guys i know on psu have very manly characters

my chars pp is sicker than every other type, f newman

imfanboy
Sep 20, 2007, 12:30 AM
Listen, if I'm going to stare at someone's ass for hours on end, I would rather it be a shapely female ass, not a homely male butt.

Sorry, but I see THAT as being more gay than playing a female character. I have no personal connection with my avatar; in fact, they're my harem. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif *points to siggy, that links to the comedy story*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: imfanboy on 2007-09-19 22:32 ]</font>

BlackHat
Sep 20, 2007, 12:33 AM
I have 3 Female characters >.>

Mostly for customization.

Im not one of those people who pretend to be females for item begging/whoring. It says on my card that I am a guy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Anyway, Males playing as Female characters shouldn't matter much, you shouldnt be hitting on people over PSU or looking for a relationship anyway.

Shishi-O
Sep 20, 2007, 12:34 AM
woot woot

Indica
Sep 20, 2007, 12:35 AM
It would be a sausage party if all guys played this game. It's good to see some nice T&A while fighting and in lobby

Dj_SkyEpic
Sep 20, 2007, 12:50 AM
I play different character types for diversity on sex, class, and race.

I just don't want my whole account filled with only female characters or only male characters.

Also because... Dayng! She's cute as heck!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e349/skyepic/OooHawt.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dj_SkyEpic on 2007-09-19 22:51 ]</font>

BlackHat
Sep 20, 2007, 12:55 AM
She kinda scares me.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Sep 20, 2007, 01:10 AM
On 2007-09-19 20:30, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
girls play as guys too... it's just a choice.

THE JACKEL

Zantra
Sep 20, 2007, 01:13 AM
I do it, because I can.

Weeaboolits
Sep 20, 2007, 01:26 AM
3 of my 4 chars are female, why? Because I felt like it.

MSAksion
Sep 20, 2007, 01:32 AM
Let's turn it around - let's use FIGHTING GAMES to explain the beauty of using a girl than a guy.

I mean Chun Li, Seung Mina, Mai Shiranui, Jam Kuradoberi and the DOA Girls all kick so much ass that they are high Tier tournament level fighting characters. They also happen to be smokin' hawt and fun to watch using their wacky unorthodox attacks while wearing the most ridiculously revealing outfits.

Now you could also play as Guile, Mitsurugi, Terry Bogard, Sol Badguy, or Ryu Hyabusa. But they're not as cool to look at XD Yes in most cases the guys totally out power the girls in raw power. But the girls seem to be faster, more unique, and have a higher learning curve than a standard 2in1 cancel into a Hadoken..

As for RPGS - yes the most powerful magical users are Girls. Guys + Muscles = sword. Girl + Using her mind to solve problems = Magic. Its just how things are, blame D&D or Lodoss for making me think that way.

And there's always a bit of pervertedness behind playing a girl character. Meh i like looking at bare thighs when they kick high, and i like the idea of nibbling on elf ears after a long day of battling monsters. Its just how things are.

OHHH Blame SEGA for making this game totally perverted. What Huntress goes into battle wearing a School Girl outfit? Or a mini-skirt that doesn't even reach the mid-thigh? Or halter tops that show everything? Guys go into battle with pimp-tastic Long Coats and PANTS. Girls have two pants - one skin-tight shaply pair of spandex, and the other has SHORTS with flair pant legs attached by straps.

Sychosis
Sep 20, 2007, 01:39 AM
Playing as a girl allows me to live out my repressed sexual fantasies.

Also it allows me to stroke it hard.

What? They had to turn up at some point. I just hastened the process.

Zantra
Sep 20, 2007, 01:42 AM
Oh yeah... it's fun. (forgot that part)

Guildenstern
Sep 20, 2007, 02:17 AM
My best friend who I always play MMORPGs with gets a male character every time. She says a female character is too annoying to play with due to the constant annoyance of 'r u a grl irl' and people emoting at your tits in the lobby. Luckily my character is short so if I stand behind a row of Amazoness Beast women and lolified Newman girls nobody notices me and I get left alone. Either that or I use her character as a shield to block me from view. She hates going on Ventrilo because she has a small, high pitched voice and I'm afraid it doesn't synch well with her huge Beast M Fighgunner. It's funny at least. XD

FF VI: Terra and Celes were the only two characters that had magic when they first joined your group, and Relm's ability allows her to draw pretty pictures of rainbows and bunnies.
o_____o I don't know about your Celes, but my Celes was a two-fisted Atma Weapon + Illumina berserker who could carve a swath of death through bosses and regular monsters alike with her four swings of pure steel carnage a round. Magic? Only if I cast it to my sword and rape something with it. X3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Guildenstern on 2007-09-20 00:18 ]</font>

Pengfishh
Sep 20, 2007, 02:37 AM
Purely aesthetic. I like my robot girl.

Freshellent
Sep 20, 2007, 03:02 AM
On 2007-09-19 21:16, Wallin wrote:

(How did you people manage to even play through FF VII? What did you do in Wall Market when you had to cross-dress for Don Corneo? Let me guess, you didn't even bother to get the good wig, or the sexy cologne, or the lingerie... I bet you gagged when you had to answer the dress maker that you wanted something that was 'soft and shimmers'... good lord... LOL)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wallin on 2007-09-19 21:31 ]</font>

I was just playing "Don of the Slums" over Vent the other day. How funny.

But as to males playing females and vice-versa.

Really,why does it matter? If it's not something dubious or harmful I don't see a problem with it. As to why,some people,despite what others say is for stats. Others will play based on preferance. Sometimes it's more appealing to spend hours with a female avatar. As for myself I've had about 5 female characters,I've deleted them all over time due to harrasment/boredom/stupidity. Some people are lacking in manners,and I'm not really sure I'm usually choosen to get the brunt end of the BS stick.

Yeah,I've gotten the dreaded "cyber" mail offers and some downright rude questions. As such I deleted the characters right after. I'm not willing to play a female simply because I feel uncomfortable.

In the end,it's just not my style.

I'd rather spend hours playing as a souless machine or a pretty boy hume or newman.

Don't let my negative experiences influence your decision of what you play.

There are merits to playing both genders,extra hits on attacks,better striking/casting animation. Clothes,sometimes exclusive equipment.

It's a matter of taste.

IsoDonk
Sep 20, 2007, 03:08 AM
- Stats - It's a bit of a shame I still can't use an A-rank bow but I get unbelievable TP as a female Newman
- I get an excellent hat
- Most of all though - why not? It's no different to having Amy Rose as my gamerpic, despite being male.

There seems to be this big thing with some people that you absolutely have to play a character of your own sex, you are NOT ALLOWED to roleplay in an RPG. Even if the extent of the roleplay is running around smacking things as a girl rather than a guy.

People, eh?

Urtri
Sep 20, 2007, 03:11 AM
I'll say what i Always say "I've played a Caseal in PSO and i'am not stopping now"

I do get hit on every so often but not to often since i've started to wear a Full Digeil Set on my New Caseal "Lexshue" and play mainly in areas that no-one seems to run very often (not looking forward to beast bonfire as Tunnel Recapture is one of my fav lvling spots at the moment)

Freshellent
Sep 20, 2007, 03:16 AM
Edit: I over looked this post. I'm a big 2-D fighting fan so I had to say something.

On 2007-09-19 23:32, MSAksion wrote:
Let's turn it around - let's use FIGHTING GAMES to explain the beauty of using a girl than a guy.

I mean Chun Li, Seung Mina, Mai Shiranui, Jam Kuradoberi and the DOA Girls all kick so much ass that they are high Tier tournament level fighting characters. They also happen to be smokin' hawt and fun to watch using their wacky unorthodox attacks while wearing the most ridiculously revealing outfits.

How true that is. Generally I prefer to play quick/unorthadox female characters for the stereotype that they are faster and usually offer more interesting combat options than the males that tend to be geared toward straight forward combat,using masculinity as the base.

But, when you play things at tournament lvl,appearence goes out the door and you start playing characters for raw power/speed/range reasons entirely outside cosmetics.

It just so happens in a great deal of fighting games,females offer better options than males.

Chun Li is a great example to use in Street Fighter 3rd Stike,her low foward into SAII is downright unfair. Jam in Guilty Gear offers stupid good rush options,great damage and speed. While fighters like Mai...are great to look at in some regards but suffer disadvantages compared to their counterparts.

Err,rambling now. You get the point.

-Ryuki-
Sep 20, 2007, 03:29 AM
Hey now. I do have two characters that are indeed female, and I happen to enjoy them a lot. I never said anything bad about having them, and I sure as hell AM perverted.

I don't care who knows. I'm a guy. Most, if not all guys, are perverted. Some are just more, than others.

It's just creepy when guys play as girls, and PRETEND to be girls, so they can swindle guys into giveing them free stuff, and all that jazz. Or even worse. Cyber bi/lesbians by pretending to be a girl.

Zantra
Sep 20, 2007, 03:31 AM
Rinslet is on of the coolest looking casts, in our community. Hands down.

-Ryuki-
Sep 20, 2007, 03:34 AM
Why thank you. I take a lot of pride into my Caseal, even if she wears practically the same-thing everyone else does. =D

Skye-Fox713
Sep 20, 2007, 03:39 AM
It's a choice, yes

but i play a female character for a few reasons

1. i'm a artist and i like to draw female characers and i'm a ok writer.

2. I like to roleplay so i've continued my character from pso to psu

3. when i started on PSO i chose the RAmarl class cause of the stats and i like ranged combat. Mean while my brothers allway make male characters in there image and try to see what they would be like if they were in the game.(basicly i like to be different)

4. the thing with male characters being the main character in most games. thoe it dosn't bother me at all, i just like a change of scene.

5. the learning curve with fighting games and how female characters are generaly the faster characters. like on sole calibure 2 for GC i use Talim because i like her fighting style and how her attacks flow like the wind (lols), and on street fighter 3rd strike i use Matakon (she is also a fast character) because i like her dash style of fighting.

6. i'm a guy and i like to see some A&T every so often

7. I'm really not that interested in playing a male characer if i have a choice, I'm kinda meh tords playing a male character if i have a choice

8. the tombraider complex thing

9. the girl with a gun thing

to sum it up i chose a female character because for a change in scene, role play stuffs, and somthing diffent

Ibuka
Sep 20, 2007, 03:46 AM
Well i don't see anything wrong with playing a diffrent sex characters. Just play what you feel like...
Like take my main character http://i8.tinypic.com/52fbked.jpg I'm male and i play a Female Newmen Forte Fighter...
Althought i do get hit on by Guys and Lesbians... >.< But still i don't let it stop me from playing my VICE n_n

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ibuka on 2007-09-20 01:49 ]</font>

-Ryuki-
Sep 20, 2007, 03:55 AM
To be honest, I was iffy about making female characters, but I decided that since I have 4 slots, that I would take advantage of being able to sport and wear all the clothes/parts. So, I have 1 male fleshie, 1 female fleshie, 1 CAST, and 1 Caseal. But, I have nothing against female players, considering I love picking most of them in fighting games, and I do enjoy them as main protagonists in RPGs.

landman
Sep 20, 2007, 04:27 AM
To piss people who cares about the sex of the player, really, I find amusing people who flirts on online games

Really? I hardly look at the characters, I can play with a friend and after an hour notice he/she has changed all his appearance

Ezodagrom
Sep 20, 2007, 05:01 AM
I have 3 female chars, my main one, Johana is a newman female because that's the one with the lowest ATP, and I made her fortefighter (in other words, I made her for fun xD).
Female caseal, Blune, I made her because I had a RAcaseal on pso, the weapon I used most with her on pso was spread needle, so...guntecher (crossbows are what looks like spread needle the most on psu).
Another female newman, Luppi. On pso I had a FOmarl (Luppi was the only good name I could remember for her to be bluefull xD), I made her on psu newman instead of human because of the better stats. On AOI I'm going to give her the FOmarl outfit.
My 4th char is going to be human male wartecher, but that one I will only play on AOI.

-Ryuki-
Sep 20, 2007, 05:06 AM
Jo kind of did what I did.

Ryuki and Rinslet were my characters in PSO, so I basically brought my HUmar and RAcaseal into Gurhal.
Orichalcum and the yellow one (who will remain unnamed) were characters I made specifically in PSU,
without any reference to PSO at all.

F-Gattaca
Sep 20, 2007, 05:25 AM
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Samus Aran yet?

I still say usmcbama's Real Men of Genius on this subject is So Damned True (TM).

Anyway, this truthfully isn't the kind of game that I would get worked up over when it comes to people not being true to their genders.

For one, it's an MMORPG. Like many other MMOs, it pays lip service to the "RP" and you get knuckleheads who laugh at roleplayers for actually doing what the genre suggests, but it's there.

For two, it's a game that does not attempt to constrain or punish gender bender lovers. You can freely make any character whatever gender you wish.

Contrast that to, say, how Ragnarok Online is (or used to be). That MMORPG's devs seriously wanted to make the game more than just roleplay; they wanted to make RO a way for its players to connect in real life. Some things have changed depending on which official server you're talking about, but typically your account information also decides the gender of ALL your characters. They also play up the whole romance thing. A lot of advertising and V-Day events for RO had to do with that, Real-life couples who're married/living together and met each other through RO. However, in-game weddings are restricted to a male and female (I remind you that this game has South Korean origins). Nevertheless, all of this has worked to keep benders on both sides from bending, though it hardly stops most of them. Still, you can tell in a game like RO, the "I'd rather look at a GIRL'S butt when I play" attitude is frowned upon. A lot.

Again, that isn't the case here on PSU or on PSO for that matter. On RO I'd be sympathetic with the unfavorable view of gender benders since they're subverting the whole "point" of that game. On PSU? Nope. There's a way different philosophy here.

Of course, that doesn't keep me from feeling bitter when gender benders attack straight players with accusations that they're trying to "boost their ego" or that gender benders "have no need to feel better about themselves" by making a idealized resemblance of their real-life selves, or worse.

<sacasm> Yeah, I'm sure that being a tin can man who's as pudgy as the real me is ego talking. Seriously, that's what I've always wanted to be in life.</sarcasm>

Neith
Sep 20, 2007, 06:33 AM
Uriko, aside from being a female character in Bloody Roar, was also my first HUnewearl in PSO, so my Beast is kind of representing her (that, and Uriko in BR could transform, so as soon as I saw Nanoblasts, I had to make her)

My entire account is female characters. I have the same problem in PSU I did on PSO. I can't get to like the male character models. That's evident on PSO, where my highest level male character was Lv44, compared to a 200, a 164, and several 100+ female characters.

In PSU, it's the same. I did try to make a male character as an alt, but ended up recreating him for a female after a couple of levels because I hated the look of the model (in particular, the hairstyles, and facial options). While I'm not completely happy with the female models either, a lot of what I wanted is coming with AoI.

When I saw some of the female hair accessories (long twin pigtails with flowers), I immediately realised that I could make my Blue Burst HUnewearl as depicted by Jey in the awesome fanart of her he did.

I don't think it's odd for males to play a female character, and likewise, I don't think its odd for a female to play a male, but it goes a bit far when you start acting feminine/masculine, or abusing the fact your character has a huge rack to get items and stuff.

The only thing that bothers me slightly is how often I get mailed with things like 'u r hot' or 'ur bewbs r hueg', followed by the predictable 'r u girl IRL'. I don't know whether to laugh or cry http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

Weeaboolits
Sep 20, 2007, 07:15 AM
On 2007-09-20 01:16, Icespike wrote:
Edit: I over looked this post. I'm a big 2-D fighting fan so I had to say something.

On 2007-09-19 23:32, MSAksion wrote:

How true that is. Generally I prefer to play quick/unorthadox female characters for the stereotype that they are faster and usually offer more interesting combat options than the males that tend to be geared toward straight forward combat,using masculinity as the base.

But, when you play things at tournament lvl,appearence goes out the door and you start playing characters for raw power/speed/range reasons entirely outside cosmetics.

It just so happens in a great deal of fighting games,females offer better options than males.

Chun Li is a great example to use in Street Fighter 3rd Stike,her low foward into SAII is downright unfair. Jam in Guilty Gear offers stupid good rush options,great damage and speed. While fighters like Mai...are great to look at in some regards but suffer disadvantages compared to their counterparts.

Err,rambling now. You get the point.Jam is my best character in Guilty Gear, May is also good. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Wallin
Sep 20, 2007, 07:25 AM
On 2007-09-20 00:17, Guildenstern wrote:

o_____o I don't know about your Celes, but my Celes was a two-fisted Atma Weapon + Illumina berserker who could carve a swath of death through bosses and regular monsters alike with her four swings of pure steel carnage a round. Magic? Only if I cast it to my sword and rape something with it. X3

Oops, no, my point in this case was not that the girls offensively sucked (except maybe Relm... cute, but useless).

If you recall, in FF6 the only way to learn magic normally was by equipping Magicite shards. But Terra, being an Esper, starts the game with the Fire and Cure spells. Also Celes was artificially infused with magic as a baby, so she started with Ice and Cure spells. So the only two characters who initially have magic are the girls... the guys are too macho for it and have to use crossbows and karate I guess. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Actually I looked it up on GameFAQs, it turns out Terra and Celes learn about 15-20 more spells through leveling up, without having to use Magicite like everyone else - Terra will eventually learn Ultima on her own if you level her to 99, Celes gets Meteor at 98.

" Natural Magic Learning
Description: This isn't really an ability per se, but I didn't know where else
to put it. Basically, Terra is one of the only two characters in
the game (next to Celes) that can learn magic without the use of
an Esper."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wallin on 2007-09-20 05:30 ]</font>

CelestialBlade
Sep 20, 2007, 07:34 AM
Terra gets Merton at 80 or so too, if I remember.

Also, Relm isn't useless if you notice her sickass magic power stat. She is by far one of the best magic users in the game. Screw Painting, let her blow the hell out of everything with nukes.

ljkkjlcm9
Sep 20, 2007, 07:48 AM
On 2007-09-20 05:25, Wallin wrote:

On 2007-09-20 00:17, Guildenstern wrote:

Oops, no, my point in this case was not that the girls offensively sucked (except maybe Relm... cute, but useless).

If you recall, in FF6 the only way to learn magic normally was by equipping Magicite shards. But Terra, being an Esper, starts the game with the Fire and Cure spells. Also Celes was artificially infused with magic as a baby, so she started with Ice and Cure spells. So the only two characters who initially have magic are the girls... the guys are too macho for it and have to use crossbows and karate I guess. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Actually I looked it up on GameFAQs, it turns out Terra and Celes learn about 15-20 more spells through leveling up, without having to use Magicite like everyone else - Terra will eventually learn Ultima on her own if you level her to 99, Celes gets Meteor at 98.

" Natural Magic Learning
Description: This isn't really an ability per se, but I didn't know where else
to put it. Basically, Terra is one of the only two characters in
the game (next to Celes) that can learn magic without the use of
an Esper."

erm, maybe so but Strago had his Blue Magic
FFII they can all be anything you want, as their stats level as what you use.
FFIII, you pick whatever job you want(FFIII DS has a girl)
FFV Faris is a friggin pirate, and jobs again and almost always my main melee person
FFVII, everyone was even with materia, and in fact Tifa and Yuffie were both melee oriented

Tales of Symphonia, Raine is your healer, Collete is an Angel, but then, Genis is main magic, Kratos/Zelos/Regal all have magic too, and then Presea wielded an axe made for heavy melee

there are a large number of games that break your mold, just using some examples that apply is silly. Plus, there's an obvious fact, that men are built for more physical activities. Try doing any sort of military crap, and 99% of the girls can't keep up with even the low end of the males. It's not their fault, just how it is.

THE JACKEL

Omega_Weltall
Sep 20, 2007, 08:02 AM
Welcome to the Internets! Where Men are Men! Women are Men! And horny 14/f's are all Chris Hanson/FBI.

Hey I go by this one rule. ALL and I mean ALL persons on the Internets are MALE until COMPLETELY 100% proven female.
not that I'm an idiot, just lookin at the numbers. Most girls (the ones i come across anyway) just arent intrested in games and computers

most are only intrested in being attention whores, and when you look at them wearing revealing clothes they wanna get mad and suddenly find thier modesty. i mean realy wtf is up with that? if you dont want doods looking at you like that then dont ware shit like that i mean GOD and in the fucking clubs its worse i mean dont go to a nighclub if you dont want guys hitting on you. hell most go so they CAN diss a guy and completely destroy his self confidence to make them selves feel better.... holy shit i'm rambleing......nevermind all that just bitter ^_^

omegapirate2k
Sep 20, 2007, 09:27 AM
Personally, I don't like playing as female characters if I have a choice, it's not how I roll, but I have no problems when other guys do it :/

Niloklives
Sep 20, 2007, 09:45 AM
if guys didn't play female characters there'd be maybe for female avatars running around all of PSU...last thing we need is a BIGGER army of nobles coats and evors arms.

on the subject of FF6, the characters stats were so close that it didn't really matter. the guys were ment too macho, story wise they just didn;t have it in them. strago on the other hand was a descendant of magic users and could use what in other FFs is known as blue magic.

In any case while terra and celes may have been the only inherent magic users in the game, the reality is it made them more versatile. its not like they ran around with staffs asking to be saved all the time. these girls used swords, shield and heavy armor while having some of the stronger personalities in the game. not to mention they were far more vital to the story than practically anyone else. Lets face it. terra is the main character for the first half of the game while celes is the center of attention for the second half. while you're welcome to take them out of your party, look how the story follows them.

I have both male and female characters. partially cause i want all the clothes and parts, partially for stats...partially for balance...and the girls are cute >_>

BTW it's not playing FF-X2 that makes you gay...it's playing bad games and liking them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NIloklives on 2007-09-20 07:56 ]</font>

bloodflowers
Sep 20, 2007, 09:53 AM
I have a fairly simple view on things.

Roll your character, pick whatever you like and roleplay that character and gender if it suits you - it's someone elses problem if they don't understand what the R and P in RPG stand for.

On the other hand, never EVER claim to be in real life, that which you are not. If someone asks you about who you are in real life, either deflect it in an RP manner ("I'm from Neudaiz"), or answer truthfully. "OMG I'm a 19 year old girl from Wyoming, u're really cute send me a T-shirt so I can feel near you!" is not cool to tell someone unless it's true.

Niloklives
Sep 20, 2007, 09:59 AM
anyone who falls for that deserves it >_>

doesn't make it right...but really people shouldn't be asking in the first place...I think its rude.

Kylie
Sep 20, 2007, 10:04 AM
It doesn't bother me as long as they're honest about it. I am a little irked by guys that I know as male on the game that suddenly make a female character, but that's only because I'm a very visual person. It has nothing to do with me thinking it's weird, and it can be fixed by me getting used to it, which I have in a lot of cases (*pokes Rinslet*). =3

desturel
Sep 20, 2007, 10:11 AM
On 2007-09-20 01:16, Icespike wrote:

Chun Li is a great example to use in Street Fighter 3rd Stike,her low foward into SAII is downright unfair.

You say you like 3rd Strike and female characters with unorthodox fighting styles, but you make no mention of Matoko, but instead mention miss "brokenly powerful chain my double QCF supers from any of my attacks" Chun-li?

Oh, for the thread, I have 1 male main and 2 female alts so far. Planning on making another male, but I want to cap both of my alts before bringing balance back to the force.

Why did I pick a female? Mainly for stat differences. One is a gunner so it's good to have the extra END. One is an all around character (human) so I chose the highter DFP and TP over the higher HP and ATP.

My last character is going to be fortefighter so I'm making it male for the extra HP and ATP. My main character was made before I knew about the differences in stats so he's a male fortetecher. Not too big of a deal. I like being the rare breed anyway. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: desturel on 2007-09-20 08:12 ]</font>

Rett
Sep 20, 2007, 10:34 AM
lol I love to see the responses when guys playing girl characters are called perv. Its funny to see who all deny the fact and say "I like the way girls look better" and then to see who admits that part of the reason is that they like the looks ie the curves. Yet if you make a girl character accept the responsibility of that some guys are gonna hit on you. The persona I play (Rett) loves to hit on girls. The responses I get are priceless. So you say you like rolplaying as girls or you like the looks better. Then you need to deal with the fact that there are guys that are make fun of you or hit on you. So if you made your choice, stop whining and live it.

Oh also a sidenote, if you are a guy playing a girl character and you change clothes every mission and have a new hairstyle everytime I see you, it makes you question certain things.

Sinue_v2
Sep 20, 2007, 10:53 AM
http://www.emucamp.com/reviews/sms/ps1.gif

I've gotten used to the idea of playing female characters long ago.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-09-20 08:58 ]</font>

OldCoot
Sep 20, 2007, 11:23 AM
If we get more character slots I will make 4 female characters since I have 4 male characters at the moment.

Most of my friends I game with on a regular basis play female characters. if anything it is nice so that everyone can use those luck days.

chibiLegolas
Sep 20, 2007, 11:41 AM
If any guys out there ever played tomb raider and never felt weirded out by controlling a female character, then there shouldn't be a problem with online games as well.

TetsuyaHikari
Sep 20, 2007, 12:19 PM
Exactly. If males are "supposed" to play as other males, then maybe I should just stop playing Valkyrie Profile, since the main character is a girl.

Hell, even if I DO play a RPG where the main character is a guy, he's STILL not going to resemble myself. Like I stated before, the point of playing these games is to enjoy yourself and be someone you don't have a chance of being in real life and to do things you aren't able to do in real life.

When I was playing on Rally yesterday, someone kept calling me, "hun", then finally asked, "So, are you a girl in RL?". I kind of laughed, then said, "Would it break your heart if I said, "no" ?".

Well..needless to say, he didn't speak much afterwards, but..if someone asks if I'm a guy or a girl, I'll tell them. Other than that, I try to stay in character, since anything outside of that is irrelevant to us enjoying ourselves.

I mean, what..are you going to kick me out of your party for actually being a guy playing as a female, because your hopes of obtaining a cyber or a virtual relationship have been shot down? Seriously..

As far as fighting games are concerned..I honestly don't use girls much in them. For example, in Guilty Gear, I use:

Ky, Sol, Order Sol, Robo-Ky, Eddie, A.B.A., and Anji.

Even in King of Fighters, I don't use girls often. Give me Kyo any day http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

Anyway, point being..I think people shouldn't refer to the gamer's gender as to what gender that person should be playing.

Like, "OMG! You're a d00d playing as a girl D:!!111". Seriously guys...it's the 21st Century. Grow up already http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kikumaru on 2007-09-20 10:21 ]</font>

F-Gattaca
Sep 20, 2007, 12:24 PM
On 2007-09-20 09:41, chibiLegolas wrote:
If any guys out there ever played tomb raider and never felt weirded out by controlling a female character, then there shouldn't be a problem with online games as well.

See, this is what I'm talking about. I get the feeling people just glazed over my past post on this thread or something.

There's a big difference between online and offline games, ChibiLegolas, and it's something every gender bender MUST realize even if the MMORPG in question welcomes and encourages roleplay to an extent that rivals MU*s.

When you're playing Metroid or Tomb Raider or any other game with a heroine, it's just you and that virtual world. Even when you're looking through the eyes of Samus Aran in the Prime series, it's not like you're interacting with other people who would equate Samus' identity with yours.

When you're online, for all intents and purposes, you are that character to everyone else. This is why so many people take (foolishly) take on a WYSIWYG approach on PSU. You wanna play a different gender because you like having that gender's butt dancing on your screen all day? Hey, fine. Just remember--to everyone else, that dancing butt is you.

I'm not comfortable with being thought of as a woman in social online games like PSU. It's like dressing in virtual drag to me. That's why I rarely make female characters in MMOs, especially if (like my past post said of RO) the MMO in question emphasizes real-life social interaction, not just gaming together and roleplaying.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-09-20 10:26 ]</font>

Zorafim
Sep 20, 2007, 12:25 PM
On 2007-09-20 06:02, Omega_Weltall wrote:
Welcome to the Internets! Where Men are Men! Women are Men! And horny 14/f's are all Chris Hanson/FBI.

Hey I go by this one rule. ALL and I mean ALL persons on the Internets are MALE until COMPLETELY 100% proven female.
not that I'm an idiot, just lookin at the numbers. Most girls (the ones i come across anyway) just arent intrested in games and computers

most are only intrested in being attention whores, and when you look at them wearing revealing clothes they wanna get mad and suddenly find thier modesty. i mean realy wtf is up with that? if you dont want doods looking at you like that then dont ware shit like that i mean GOD and in the fucking clubs its worse i mean dont go to a nighclub if you dont want guys hitting on you. hell most go so they CAN diss a guy and completely destroy his self confidence to make them selves feel better.... holy shit i'm rambleing......nevermind all that just bitter ^_^

I've never seen a post with both so much fail and so much win at the same time.

zandra117
Sep 20, 2007, 12:30 PM
Why do guys play as female caracters you ask?

One word... "Moé." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_%28slang%29

Moé - Moe (mo'e/, pronounced "Mo-ay"/ literally 'budding', as with a plant) is a Japanese slang word referring to a non-sexual fetish for or love for characters in video games or anime and manga.

Sha Sha
Sep 20, 2007, 12:39 PM
Im female and i play my Male characters ALOT more then any of my female ones, that and to me alot of the female clothes look too slutty for me

Guildenstern
Sep 20, 2007, 12:41 PM
On 2007-09-20 10:25, Zorafim wrote:

On 2007-09-20 06:02, Omega_Weltall wrote:

I've never seen a post with both so much fail and so much win at the same time.

I lean a trifle more towards the 'fail' side on that one, personally.

What's really funny is when you're a girl playing a male character and girls hit on you. I have seen this firsthand with my friend. She was sitting in the lobby on her Beast M character when this Newman F with stupendous breasts in a black bathingsuit sidles up to her chara and starts running her rap about how her chara looks so hot in his coat, wow your hair is so cute, I wanna nibble on your fuzzy ears etc....

The fun begins when you tell them you're a girl IRL. You're either going to get:
1. omg ur a lesbo and a pervert lolz
2. It's OK, I'll sit on your lap anyway <3

Either way it's hysterical and it would make a great subject for a paper. XD

Zorafim
Sep 20, 2007, 12:42 PM
On 2007-09-20 10:39, Tsukuyo wrote:
alot of the female clothes look too slutty for me

Finally, somebody that agrees. It's really difficult to find an outfit that doesn't show off too much. Luckily, caseals are finally getting non-provocative clothing, but my choices were very limited at the start of the game. And fleshies still don't have that option.

-Ryuki-
Sep 20, 2007, 12:45 PM
Bewbies.

That is all.

Cracka_J
Sep 20, 2007, 12:52 PM
ha hah...most of you have stated the obvious. for me, I find it a lot easier to stare at a female character for many many long hours then a dude. plus, there's a lot more funny things you can say as a female character and get away with...even though I tend to say them on my male character anyway...

and ya, bubz and slutty clothing are a huge bonus for picking female too

Anduril
Sep 20, 2007, 01:28 PM
Personally my main was originally going to be my male newman, but I just started liking playing as my female newman better. I think for me it has to do with the fact that you can actually make a female character look good, as opposed to the creation of male characters who look kinda funky in my opinion. I've had a few problems with people trying to figure out that I'm a guy since I don't use a mic, and my typing style tends to be non-gender specific. But when asked I proudly type:"I'm a G.I.R.L.(Guy In Real Life.)"

ashley50
Sep 20, 2007, 01:35 PM
I play Female Chars because I can and I can make them look good and pretty. (The Face)

my main is a CAST M so that's enough for me to be known as a Male player that uses Female Chars that look good.

Zorafim
Sep 20, 2007, 01:47 PM
On 2007-09-20 10:52, Cracka_J wrote:
ha hah...most of you have stated the obvious. for me, I find it a lot easier to stare at a female character for many many long hours then a dude. plus, there's a lot more funny things you can say as a female character and get away with...even though I tend to say them on my male character anyway...

Here we go... This is why people are always calling me a pervert.
You all realize some people actually find this to be offensive, don't you?

ANIMEniac
Sep 20, 2007, 01:55 PM
well here is my reason:

1) my chars as of now are remakes of my old ones on PSO and on that game there was a class per sex so it did change game play

and 2) even if not i usualy wind up haveing an equal ration of guy to girl chars for variety. lol i can only have somany fariations of the braves jacket spread throughout my chars b4 i want something new ^_^

but i dont by the whole "id rather look at a girls but" or stuff like that. i make my guy chars cool and my girl chars attractive. i may have an obese guy char later on 4 kicks but i do it all for me and what i want. (ps. i am against chick characters scamming noobs to get stuff. lol i even have some female friends on this game that get free stuff all the time and they milk it, i dont condone it but if u wanna give stuff away just cause a chick sounds cute or has an attractive avatar (that you can make as well) that is your prerogative)

chibiLegolas
Sep 20, 2007, 02:02 PM
On 2007-09-20 11:47, Zorafim wrote:

On 2007-09-20 10:52, Cracka_J wrote:

Here we go... This is why people are always calling me a pervert.
You all realize some people actually find this to be offensive, don't you?

I suppose it's all in good fun, as long as those comments aren't directed at you (the offender). It goes both ways too tho.
I'm personally looking foward to seeing my male human in a speedo and cowboy hat.
That's just HOT! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sometimes a gal wants to feel like she can Man-Up, especially in a hacking game situation.
Hoo-Rah!

And at the same time, nothing wrong with a guy who wishes to be more fem, passive, sensitive, etc. if they choose to.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2007-09-20 12:06 ]</font>

SarinSerafi
Sep 20, 2007, 02:24 PM
The men who choose to represent themselves as women online have all kinds of reasons why. They may claim it's because they don't want to stare at a male avatar while they play, but some may think otherwise. Some of them don't even bother roleplaying or even pretending they're a woman in game to fool other guys, and those I have no problems with because they don't try to bullshit.

I've played as a male character, and I do like how I'm treated a little differently (plus, I suppose the way I type is supposedly more "masculine" so it fools a lot of people). When I tell them I'm a woman in real life, they don't believe me. XD

-Ryuki-
Sep 20, 2007, 02:37 PM
On 2007-09-20 10:24, F-Gattaca wrote:

On 2007-09-20 09:41, chibiLegolas wrote:

See, this is what I'm talking about. I get the feeling people just glazed over my past post on this thread or something.

There's a big difference between online and offline games, ChibiLegolas, and it's something every gender bender MUST realize even if the MMORPG in question welcomes and encourages roleplay to an extent that rivals MU*s.

When you're playing Metroid or Tomb Raider or any other game with a heroine, it's just you and that virtual world. Even when you're looking through the eyes of Samus Aran in the Prime series, it's not like you're interacting with other people who would equate Samus' identity with yours.

When you're online, for all intents and purposes, you are that character to everyone else. This is why so many people take (foolishly) take on a WYSIWYG approach on PSU. You wanna play a different gender because you like having that gender's butt dancing on your screen all day? Hey, fine. Just remember--to everyone else, that dancing butt is you.

I'm not comfortable with being thought of as a woman in social online games like PSU. It's like dressing in virtual drag to me. That's why I rarely make female characters in MMOs, especially if (like my past post said of RO) the MMO in question emphasizes real-life social interaction, not just gaming together and roleplaying.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-09-20 10:26 ]</font>
I agree whole-heartedly, and that's because of a discussion I had with my friend with this whole "character" thing. See, according to a few of us, your character is your "physical" representation of YOU. More than likely, how you act, and what character you're playing as, people are going to more than likely go with "Oh, this person's playing a guy, so it's probably a guy. He talks like one, too".

Granted, there's the case of RPing, where some guys like to RP girls because of fanfics and whatnot, but in other cases, guys making girls with huge bewbies because they can't get a girl like that in real life. Sometimes it's true. Not saying it is.

Going back to the character thing. My character is actually a lot taller than I am (I'm about 5'9") and stands a little past 6 feet. He's still Asian-looking, which I am, but he is really modeled after a character I draw (Click here to see my drawings (http://ryukizero.deviantart.com)), and he is "me" in PSU. Sometimes he's for RPing purposes, but his creation was solely based on me.

As for my female characters, I wanted to take advantage of the whole "clothes/parts" options, and wanted to be able to sport them. Then again, as mentioned, I also like playing girls here and there, if given the option (Like Pokemon Crystal. Everyone played as the girl).

I can't really vouch for the mindset of others, though.

Xtian913
Sep 20, 2007, 02:48 PM
Personally, I like to see cute female characters tear some shit up - as opposed to the stereotypical musclebound male hero.

Vickie
Sep 20, 2007, 04:30 PM
this game was my first female character ever made and the only reason i did is because i made my character look like a character from an old tv show (check Signature)that i seen on youtube during the time i got the game, but i gotta say Males in this game DO have some gayass lookin outfits,Im guessing ppl rather look like a girl then look gay, or they could be Virgin pervs if you can make some sense of that....

btw no offense to the homos tho

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vickie on 2007-09-20 14:45 ]</font>

Shadow_Wing
Sep 20, 2007, 04:34 PM
Well, the guy's are rather meh overall in looks, even in PSO, there were more female playing guys than guys playing guys I found, including myself. This is actually the 1st time I'm a male, lol cast = mecha XD, in a PS series lol

Zorafim
Sep 20, 2007, 04:38 PM
On 2007-09-20 12:37, RyukiZero wrote:
Going back to the character thing. My character is actually a lot taller than I am (I'm about 5'9") and stands a little past 6 feet. He's still Asian-looking, which I am, but he is really modeled after a character I draw (Click here to see my drawings (http://ryukizero.deviantart.com)), and he is "me" in PSU. Sometimes he's for RPing purposes, but his creation was solely based on me.

See, I have the opposite train of thought. Levia isn't me, she is my fantasy. I want to exist an aquatic humanoid with soft, sad eyes and a perfect battle form. I don't have gills, I don't have sad eyes, and my armed combat sucks. She's a creation, not a representation.

Rashiid
Sep 20, 2007, 04:46 PM
for tha +2 STA. =]

and females tend to get all the 'gender only' weapons.

not many 'male only' weapons; but plenty of 'female only'

i try to make it look like im still a guy; so i wear darker/less exposing clothes (cept BulletMaster; its a robot so what does it matter)

but i dont give shit if ppl say stuff; i know im a guy and i like females; tha hell w/ what they gotta say.

-Ryuki-
Sep 20, 2007, 04:47 PM
On 2007-09-20 14:38, Zorafim wrote:

On 2007-09-20 12:37, RyukiZero wrote:

See, I have the opposite train of thought. Levia isn't me, she is my fantasy. I want to exist an aquatic humanoid with soft, sad eyes and a perfect battle form. I don't have gills, I don't have sad eyes, and my armed combat sucks. She's a creation, not a representation.

In that case, that's fine.

Zorafim
Sep 20, 2007, 04:49 PM
On 2007-09-20 14:46, Rashiid wrote:

Male only: Kan Yu (best sword currently available), Kitty Claws

Female only: Love bow (Replaceable by the 10* bow), Snow White claws, Magic Wand (Replaceable by store bought wands, and males wouldn't equip them anyway).

I don't think your argument is well based. Kan Yu is the only real useful gender specific weapon currently out. All others have a replacement.

On 2007-09-20 14:47, RyukiZero wrote:
In that case, that's fine.

I'm simply forming the other side of the argument. I have no quarrel with what you said.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-09-20 14:51 ]</font>

Vickie
Sep 20, 2007, 04:49 PM
Girl characters are more interesting though
i really like the concept of a tiny robot girl toting weapons 3x bigger than her as if they weighed 1oz

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vickie on 2007-09-20 14:53 ]</font>

Rashiid
Sep 20, 2007, 05:06 PM
On 2007-09-20 14:49, Zorafim wrote:

On 2007-09-20 14:46, Rashiid wrote:

Male only: Kan Yu (best sword currently available), Kitty Claws

Female only: Love bow (Replaceable by the 10* bow), Snow White claws, Magic Wand (Replaceable by store bought wands, and males wouldn't equip them anyway).

I don't think your argument is well based. Kan Yu is the only real useful gender specific weapon currently out. All others have a replacement.

Kan-Yuc baby!

no Kohibumiteric or Magical Wandoc (i know plenty of guys that want tha magical wand) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Sinue_v2
Sep 20, 2007, 05:09 PM
I have no personal connection with my avatar; in fact, they're my harem.

That's pretty much how it is with me. As said, I grew up playing games which had strong and intelligent female protagonists, and I've come to respect them. In many ways, my ideal women are the more tomboyish girls who are down to earth and headstrong. And, as Spike says, "I love the kind of woman who can kick my ass".

My characters online are almost exclusively female. The way I see it, they're my girls. I'm proud of them. You often hear men giving female personifications to possessions they admire, especially cars and boats which the owner works on and tweaks a lot. We, on the other hand, are like those greasemonkies in that we also spend a lot of time tweaking and improving the preformance of our characters. Building them up, and shaping their development. We're just working with data, rather than metal. So to me, it seems the next logical step at least to give my characters a female exterior to match the personification.

Not to mention they look much better than the male characters.

Though as far as roleplaying or "becoming" my characters online, I don't do that. When I get online, I get online, regardless of what shape the character model is.

Wallin
Sep 20, 2007, 06:37 PM
On 2007-09-20 10:24, F-Gattaca wrote:

Your can't seem to balance or distinguish fantasy and reality. Your character can certainly be modeled after you, but it's still just a character in a virtual world. No matter how much it looks like you, it's not you, so whether it reflects you or not is entirely irrelevant. You seem to have some sort of crazy double standard - it's okay to be a different race and run around as a robot, but you're embarassed to be seen as the opposite gender... sure, it's alright to have a mecha fetish or enjoy bestiality, just don't play as a female cause, you know, that would be creepy. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I hope no one in real life finds out you're not actually an android, oh noes!1!1

You said it yourself, when you are online, you are that character to everyone else. No one needs to know who you are - they don't need your name, they don't need to know your favorite color or your favorite ice cream, they don't care whether you look like your character, they don't ask you how many spells you know in real life or what level is the partner machinery in your bedroom underneath your dirty laundry next to the desk with your algebra homework. Even games that encourage real life social interactions are possible because I can meet someone and talk to them about the game, but I'm not talking to them like any of it's real or I expect the person and the character are the same. "How are you today, Bob? -Terrible, someone stole my credit card number.- Oh, that's too bad... and how about you, GundamLuvR7? -My luck is as bad as Bob's, I got scammed out of 200k meseta.- Wow, is that true really true, Bob? And by the way, you and GundamLuvR look nothing alike, although I haven't logged in to the game to see you today, so is this just a new costume?" I mean WTF??? LOL!

You and your character are separate entities, you're not playing the game through your own senses, but through the eyes of someone else. It's no different whether it's online in a crowd of nameless faces or offline with a bnuch of NPCs. If you want to pretend like everyone can see through you or want to show off your personality, then go ahead, but your online persona is nothing near your own because you're constantly adjusting to the game's environment. "Hey guys, let's hang out! No, no, I don't want to go skateboarding or see a movie, I want to go KILL THINGS!" O_o;;

Fatima
Sep 20, 2007, 07:55 PM
On 2007-09-19 20:52, Zorafim wrote:

On 2007-09-19 20:39, ravenraine wrote:
I was sincerely just asking...

Not you. You were being civilized about it. I was talking to everyone else who talks about this. It's so annoying being called a pervert, homo, stat elitist, etc. just because I prefer a female model.

See that fish I have in my sig? I want to see that butcher an army of demons. Not some hot blooded effeminate spiked haired sword slinger I've seen plenty of times before.

Wow...people puttin up some thick posts. XD

Hm...I never said ALL guys who play as female characters are pervs. I simply listed the reasons I've found to be the case in those cross-gendered gamers I come across.
I personally think its fun to keep people guessing, and watch how differently they treat you depending on the gender they assume you are. What gets confusing however is when a guy playing a female character, hits on girl chracters he assumes are played by girls, and yet doesn't tell them up front that he's a guy.
Follow me? XD

ravenraine
Sep 20, 2007, 08:33 PM
wow...i am new here and what a thread i started last night,huh???:)
again...i didn't mean to offend anyone here...actually look forward to meeting some of you and maybe doing some runs...lots of great answers...this is just something i pondered over when i first started playing...i am actually new to the whole rpg thing...never ever been a gamer and never thought i would be but i am totally addicted to phantasy...

thanx for all the replies and please do not take offense to my naive nature...

HAPPY GAMING...http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Rashiid
Sep 20, 2007, 08:37 PM
Welcome to PSOW; where no thread goes unflamed or OC.

and usually end with an

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/Kirbyzm2/ia3yp.jpg

blkbeast
Sep 20, 2007, 08:38 PM
wow dis is really an issue huh...
i neva would have thought nice topic/post ravenraine it sparked sumthin sum ppl needed...

Omega_Weltall
Sep 20, 2007, 09:57 PM
Fail and Win at the same time? ... i dont get it...

anyway, In PSO I wanted a FOnewm but FORGET that outfit! He looked like an over crackedout Elf Pimp, so I went with FOmarl ( before FOmar was introduced) and I wanted a Female hunter so i could make an Alys or Alis clone but they were never put in PSO at all ( did you know they originally planned for all race/class combos in the beginning?) SO now in PSU I have my Male newman Fortecher and my Female FiGunner.

But ya I choose mostly female characters in other MMO's for pure ascetics... and boobs, and cause i'm a horney little bastard. And like some others here, my alt Viviana is a character of mine that i do 3d renders of.
Shameless Deviant Art page plug (http://omegaweltall.deviantart.com/)

lee-san
Sep 20, 2007, 10:26 PM
i like to play as girls because of there flexible stats. plus it makes the whole experience different.

gryphonvii
Sep 20, 2007, 10:30 PM
I made my cast female because of the clothes, I find their clothes more customizable than the males, other than that, I guess I made 2 female characters because I just wanted to. Boredom? Maybe, Maybe not...

beatrixkiddo
Sep 20, 2007, 10:31 PM
On 2007-09-20 20:26, lee-san wrote:
i like to play as girls because of there flexible stats. plus it makes the whole experience different.

Flexible... stats, eh?

F-Gattaca
Sep 21, 2007, 02:56 AM
On 2007-09-20 16:37, Wallin wrote:
Your can't seem to balance or distinguish fantasy and reality.

(rftfb)

Oh, ouch. Did I hit a sore spot or something?

Wow. Just because I pointed out something female character players on MMOs deal with on a daily basis, I'm suddenly naive, unable to seperate fantasy from reality, and am the subject of a snarky, obnoxious rant full of "WTF???!!?!?!! LOL!!!111" and such.

Whatever you attempted to prove with your rant, you failed at. Why? You clearly haven't actually read and understood my last (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=154487&forum=20&start=0&95#57) two (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=154487&forum=20&start=0&95#75) posts. You just focused on the "you are that character to everyone else" part and used that to rail on me. It doesn't matter if I discussed the idea that the MMOMRPG genre is supposed to be about roleplay; you just wanted to make me look like a freak show and hoped that would discredit what I had to say.

Hey, whatever. If it helps you sleep at night to think I'm just some creepy robot fetish guy for saying that people will think of a person as being the gender of their character, fine, go on and ramble about it. No matter how much you rail against me, though, it won't change the fact that it happens.

BanF
Sep 21, 2007, 09:45 AM
Let's see.

I have this young, nubile woman. She obeys my every command; jumps, drops, dances, runs, walk, at my merest whim. Upon my word she falls upon my enemies and slaughters them with merciless abandon, and for this she uses the weapons and skills of my choosing. And to top it off, I can go up to her room and dress or undress her as I see fit, make her change her hair, her accessories, her eye or hair color, just to please me.

And some of you prefer to do all this with guys? Well, I respect your choice and admire your honesty, but I don't swing that way, sorry.

CelestialBlade
Sep 21, 2007, 09:48 AM
On 2007-09-21 07:45, BanF wrote:
Let's see.

I have this young, nubile woman. She obeys my every command; jumps, drops, dances, runs, walk, at my merest whim. Upon my word she falls upon my enemies and slaughters them with merciless abandon, and for this she uses the weapons and skills of my choosing. And to top it off, I can go up to her room and dress or undress her as I see fit, make her change her hair, her accessories, her eye or hair color, just to please me.

And some of you prefer to do all this with guys? Well, I respect your choice and admire your honesty, but I don't swing that way, sorry.

Winner.

pikachief
Sep 21, 2007, 10:19 AM
On 2007-09-21 00:56, F-Gattaca wrote:

On 2007-09-20 16:37, Wallin wrote:
Your can't seem to balance or distinguish fantasy and reality.

(rftfb)

Wow. Just because I pointed out something female character players on MMOs deal with on a daily basis, I'm suddenly naive, unable to seperate fantasy from reality, and am the subject of a snarky, obnoxious rant full of "WTF???!!?!?!! LOL!!!111" and such.

Im unable to seperate reality from fantasy sometimes when i play as kitty and when i day dream--- ok thats as far as im going i should get ot class bye.

Skye-Fox713
Sep 21, 2007, 10:20 AM
On 2007-09-21 07:48, Typheros wrote:

Let's see.

Winner.

agreed

Zorafim
Sep 21, 2007, 10:28 AM
Let's see.

See my first post in this topic.

usmcbama
Sep 21, 2007, 11:20 AM
Trimate presents: Real Men of Genius
Real men of geeeniuuuus.

Today, we salute you, Mr. Female Character Player!
Mr. Female Character Plaaaayer!

Most male players make characters that resemble themselves the way they'd like others to see them. Buff, broad-shouldered, and bad-to-the-bone. But you... you boldly express your inner woman!
I get in touch with my sensitive side!

When confronted with the apparently awkward situation, you deftly maneuver yourself into an even more masculine position than your detractors by saying "Hey, I'd rather look at a GIRL's butt while I play!"
It's just for eye candyyyy!

Yet the one thing you know best gives you a competitive edge: sexually frustrated teenage boys will give their most valuable items away to any female character that so much as dances near them.
Fold that meseta into my G-string!

So crack open an ice cold Trimate, you cocky crusader of crossdressing! Because your online alter ego is definitely having an Arbor Mist.
Mr. Female Character Plaaaayyeeer!

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=151238&forum=12&34

Fatima
Sep 21, 2007, 01:19 PM
On 2007-09-21 09:20, usmcbama wrote:
[quote=usmcbama]
Real men of geeeniuuuus.

Most male players make characters that resemble themselves the way they'd like others to see them. Buff, broad-shouldered, and bad-to-the-bone. But you... you boldly express your inner woman!

When confronted with the apparently awkward situation, you deftly maneuver yourself into an even more masculine position than your detractors by saying "Hey, I'd rather look at a GIRL's butt while I play!"

Yet the one thing you know best gives you a competitive edge: sexually frustrated teenage boys will give their most valuable items away to any female character that so much as dances near them.

So crack open an ice cold Trimate, you cocky crusader of crossdressing! Because your online alter ego is definitely having an Arbor Mist.
Mr. Female Character Plaaaayyeeer!

FUll of Win.

XD

I prefer ice cold Bluefeeters myself. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fatima on 2007-09-21 11:22 ]</font>

CelestialBlade
Sep 21, 2007, 01:32 PM
The Arbor Mist line kills me every time.

OldCoot
Sep 21, 2007, 01:55 PM
On 2007-09-20 14:49, Vickie wrote:
i really like the concept of a tiny robot girl toting weapons 3x bigger than her as if they weighed 1oz

It is funny to see the tiny little PMs carrying around grenade launchers, laser cannons, rods and swords.

I-am-Evan
Sep 21, 2007, 03:20 PM
Its all about that stats baby
female human all the way
Ramarls are the best

Akaimizu
Sep 21, 2007, 03:39 PM
On 2007-09-21 11:55, OldCoot wrote:

On 2007-09-20 14:49, Vickie wrote:

It is funny to see the tiny little PMs carrying around grenade launchers, laser cannons, rods and swords.

For player characters, I always thought that aspect was done better in PSO. PSU is oddly, a lot more aspect ratio correct. In PSO, even tall girls carried waaay oversized weapons. Guns just plain dwarfed most characters in PSO.

Kietrinia
Sep 21, 2007, 04:47 PM
Let's see.

And some of you prefer to do all this with guys? Well, I respect your choice and admire your honesty, but I don't swing that way, sorry.You know...that's actually quite true. XD

On 2007-08-15 18:37, usmcbama wrote:
Real men of geeeniuuuus.

Mr. Female Character Plaaaayyeeer!*DIES!* XD!!!

-Ryuki-
Sep 21, 2007, 05:22 PM
On 2007-09-21 08:20, Skye-Fox713 wrote:

Let's see.

Winner.

agreed

We're playing with Barbie Dolls?

...You're all men, right? ...Right?

Raven5_1
Sep 21, 2007, 05:26 PM
1/6TH SCALE ACTION FIGURES!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raven5_1 on 2007-09-21 15:27 ]</font>

-Ryuki-
Sep 21, 2007, 05:49 PM
Let's see.

With that description, he's clearly saying he plays with Barbie dolls.

While we're at it, go listen to "Barbie Girl" from Aqua, while you're playing dress up with your dollies. 8D

BanF
Sep 21, 2007, 07:46 PM
On 2007-09-21 15:49, RyukiZero wrote:

Let's see.

While we're at it, go listen to "Barbie Girl" from Aqua, while you're playing dress up with your dollies. 8D

There's this commercial, don't remember for what, that starts with a young boy playing with Barbies; and the dad comes in and tries to force him to play with GI Joes instead, but the kid wants to keep playing with his Barbies, and does. They show the kid going to sleep with his Barbies by his side, and then years pass in that frame, and the young man who the boy became wakes up... and the Barbies have become these blonde bombshells. He gets up, and walks to his living room, followed by the blondes, and there he finds... his dad, having a fun time with a couple of young, hunky GI Joe-like guys XD

So gimme the Barbies! Oh, and you can try and youtube for that commercial, they tell me it's around there but I've yet to find it, it's hilarious. If you do find it, paste the link here!

P.S. The thing is SFW, in case you're wondering.

Wallin
Sep 21, 2007, 07:50 PM
That's funny http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Unless he was playing with those Barbie dolls the same way he was playing with those blondes... that's kinda creepy actually...

Raven5_1
Sep 21, 2007, 07:56 PM
if i had the money i would play with takara's CG girls

Vickie
Sep 21, 2007, 09:22 PM
Id rather play wit a Barbie
than play with a Ken

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vickie on 2007-09-21 19:25 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Sep 21, 2007, 11:28 PM
I used to play with Barbies when I was a kid...

If by "play", you mean setting them and their Barbie car on fire and rolling it down the driveway at least. My G.I. Joes suffered fairly similar fates - usually involving a Vice Grip. MY version of Cobra Commander didn't fuck around when dealing with the Joes.

F-Gattaca
Sep 22, 2007, 06:51 PM
On 2007-09-21 17:46, BanF wrote:
They show the kid going to sleep with his Barbies by his side, and then years pass in that frame, and the young man who the boy became wakes up... and the Barbies have become these blonde bombshells. He gets up, and walks to his living room, followed by the blondes, and there he finds... his dad, having a fun time with a couple of young, hunky GI Joe-like guys XD

If that kind of thing could actually happen, I'd probably wind up with an entire air wing of fighter craft.

And a few tanks here and there.

Seems like a good time to quote Flight of the Intruder; "This is the most fun you'll ever have with your pants on, Doc!"

Otis_Kat
Sep 22, 2007, 09:31 PM
http://www.playnoevil.com/serendipity/

Myphys
Sep 22, 2007, 09:57 PM

Let's see.

I have this musclebound look-a-like (yes, I have low self esteem http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif ). He obeys my every command; jumps, drops, dances, runs, walk, at my merest whim. Upon my word he falls upon my enemies and slaughters them with merciless abandon, and for this he uses the weapons and skills of my choosing. And to top it off, I can go up to his room and dress or undress him as I see fit, make him change his hair, his accessories, his eye or hair color, just to please me.

And some of you prefer to do all this with girls? Well, I respect your choice and admire your honesty, but I don't swing that way, sorry.

With that description, he's clearly saying he plays with GI-Joe dolls: metrosexual edition.

While we're at it, go listen to "YMCA", while you're playing dress up with your dollies. 8D

Lol, wut?

Omega_Weltall
Sep 22, 2007, 09:59 PM
wow... thats funny

BanF
Sep 22, 2007, 11:10 PM
On 2007-09-22 19:57, Myphys wrote:

Let's see.

I have this musclebound look-a-like (yes, I have low self esteem http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif ). He obeys my every command; jumps, drops, dances, runs, walk, at my merest whim. Upon my word he falls upon my enemies and slaughters them with merciless abandon, and for this he uses the weapons and skills of my choosing. And to top it off, I can go up to his room and dress or undress him as I see fit, make him change his hair, his accessories, his eye or hair color, just to please me.

And some of you prefer to do all this with girls? Well, I respect your choice and admire your honesty, but I don't swing that way, sorry.

With that description, he's clearly saying he plays with GI-Joe dolls: metrosexual edition.

While we're at it, go listen to "YMCA", while you're playing dress up with your dollies. 8D

Lol, wut?

Ah, finally someone who gets it!

HeartlessKht
Sep 22, 2007, 11:41 PM
I personally play a character depending on the name I want, in this case I wanted Rosette so I went with a female toon.

Weeaboolits
Sep 23, 2007, 01:35 AM
I honestly don't think it's that important, I just make whatever kind of character I feel like. Most of my PSU chars are female, but most of my PSO PC chars are male.

blargh4242
Sep 23, 2007, 01:51 AM
On 2007-09-21 15:22, RyukiZero wrote:

On 2007-09-21 08:20, Skye-Fox713 wrote:

Let's see.

Winner.

agreed

We're playing with Barbie Dolls?

...You're all men, right? ...Right?

yes we are...except you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Serephim
Sep 23, 2007, 07:16 AM
The only people who are mad at guys playing female characters are the losers who try to hit on female avatars who look absolutely nothing like the fat chick who would be playing them

(Im kidding, all you female players)

Sha Sha
Sep 23, 2007, 11:27 AM
Another reason i use a male chara is that i usually base 1 chara after one i have created, in this case both of my male characters are based off charas i have created for manga story lines and Rps on other sites Shagami is a good example of this I made shagami up back in 1998ish? and i love trying and making him in different avatar like settings (like doll makers and games)
Then again its the same thing irl with people and haveing a chara the other gender, people i knew in high school would make fun of me for having a male chara and no female charas, but it was ok for her boyfriend to think he was a girl all the time. and have 10000 female charas with big boobs and butts ><

Koji1m1
Sep 23, 2007, 03:24 PM
hmmmm quite an odd topic but to put it to simple or innaproprate terms or IMO is tht Guys make or play with girl chars because they probaly need something or someone to jerk off too but Girls in real like do it too on psu some may not know it there are a few RL girls on psu there probaly using Guy chars but a few RL girls out are and probaly do it for the same reason. and im also surprized tht ppl dont realize ITS JUST A GAME!! i mean who cares if the a guy plays a girl in a MMO besides it is thier time tht there wasting and there not the only ones doing it too

Koji1m1
Sep 23, 2007, 03:25 PM
and no offense to any1 whos a guy and uses girl chars XD

Zorafim
Sep 23, 2007, 03:35 PM
On 2007-09-23 13:25, Koji1m1 wrote:

How can I not take offense to a direct insult? You're basically saying "I'm better than you because you're a stupid pervert". Believe it or not, we actually do have intelligent reasons behind creating our characters. You're not even trying to see a reason for our choices, and instead just blindly trying to find a difference. Worse yet, you're trying to hide this fact by saying "No offense".

Neith
Sep 23, 2007, 03:42 PM
Funny how stupid some people are when it comes to playing a character of the opposite sex.

It's not weird, it's not perverted unless you WANT it to be, it's just escapism.

My HUnewearl, which has came into PSU as a WT, is a character I developed a complex backstory for a while back, and I'm advancing the story as PSU develops. Think of it as a real-time fanfic I guess.

I get cheap laughs out of people who criticize me for playing a female, and feel sorry for them that they can't see any logical reason why people do it.

Anyway, time to sit back and watch this get interesting.

-Ryuki-
Sep 23, 2007, 03:43 PM
I have 2 female characters. What of it? Then again, these were characters I've been drawing, so.. yeah.

I just find it hilarious when, I'm on my female characters, and I see guys saying things like "Yo baby, want to dance for me?"

What the hell is that, really? XD

Zorafim
Sep 23, 2007, 03:44 PM
Makes you wish that kick animation effected other characters, huh?

Wait, aren't you the one that started the Tea-Bagging thread?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-09-23 13:47 ]</font>

Syl
Sep 23, 2007, 03:45 PM
On 2007-09-23 13:24, Koji1m1 wrote:
hmmmm quite an odd topic but to put it to simple or innaproprate terms or IMO is tht Guys make or play with girl chars because they probaly need something or someone to jerk off too but Girls in real like do it too on psu some may not know it there are a few RL girls on psu there probaly using Guy chars but a few RL girls out are and probaly do it for the same reason. and im also surprized tht ppl dont realize ITS JUST A GAME!! i mean who cares if the a guy plays a girl in a MMO besides it is thier time tht there wasting and there not the only ones doing it too

What are you, 12? <_<

Besides you're contradicting your whole statement which has me baffled. I mean first you're stupidly insulting male fem char players and the next you're supporting it...

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

beatrixkiddo
On 2007-09-23 13:42, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Funny how stupid some people are when it comes to playing a character of the opposite sex.

It's not weird, it's not perverted unless you WANT it to be, it's just escapism.

My HUnewearl, which has came into PSU as a WT, is a character I developed a complex backstory for a while back, and I'm advancing the story as PSU develops. Think of it as a real-time fanfic I guess.

I get cheap laughs out of people who criticize me for playing a female, and feel sorry for them that they can't see any logical reason why people do it.

Anyway, time to sit back and watch this get interesting.

You got here late, this has been popcorn.gif material for quite a while now >>

Kanju
I'm sure there's much better options available to get off on, knowing the internet and all.

Neith
Sep 23, 2007, 03:52 PM
On 2007-09-23 13:45, beatrixkiddo wrote:
You got here late, this has been popcorn.gif material for quite a while now >>

I should probably read the middle pages, see what I missed http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Wallin
Sep 23, 2007, 04:31 PM
On 2007-09-23 13:45, SylviaEspada wrote:
What are you, 12? <_<

Pfft, younger than that, I'm sure.

and im also surprized that I didn't realize that other people realize ITS JUST A GAME!!

Corrected.

Koji1m1
Sep 23, 2007, 07:09 PM
On 2007-09-23 13:45, SylviaEspada wrote:

What are you, 12? <_<

Besides you're contradicting your whole statement which has me baffled. I mean first you're stupidly insulting male fem char players and the next you're supporting it...

lol nothings mixed up it was my way of saying who actaully cares if someone plays a guy or girl in the game XD

Koji1m1
Sep 23, 2007, 07:18 PM
On 2007-09-23 13:35, Zorafim wrote:

On 2007-09-23 13:25, Koji1m1 wrote:

How can I not take offense to a direct insult? You're basically saying "I'm better than you because you're a stupid pervert". Believe it or not, we actually do have intelligent reasons behind creating our characters. You're not even trying to see a reason for our choices, and instead just blindly trying to find a difference. Worse yet, you're trying to hide this fact by saying "No offense".

if i were refering to eveyone then yes it probaly was an insult but i was reffering to some or most ppl not eveyone and as for the reason i do know Male char have higher HP than female char and better attack and accuracy too while Females hav better Def and Evp than males and also it was only my opinion not an actaul fact.

BahnKnakyu
Sep 23, 2007, 07:22 PM
Late entry, but I saw something that must be debated against.

Now you could also play as Guile, Mitsurugi, Terry Bogard, Sol Badguy, or Ryu Hyabusa. But they're not as cool to look at XD Yes in most cases the guys totally out power the girls in raw power. But the girls seem to be faster, more unique, and have a higher learning curve than a standard 2in1 cancel into a Hadoken..

* DoA is not a tournament-level game, you don't see it being played in SBO.
* SC is also questionable. I've seen it played at Evolution 2006 and it was considered a tourney game then, but it has a smaller following than all the other games that were played at Evo 2k6.

* Jam is strong in GGXX #Reload and Accent Core. She was low tier in XX because of her low damage output, and in Slash she was weak as fuck because they SEVERELY beat her with the nerf stick because of her stupid damage output in #Reload.

* The lightning legs bitch known as Chun-Li is an overpowered top tier character in SF3 because of her SAII and her stupid priority and kara-throw. I admit she's stayed middle tier in a lot of Capcom's games, and is probably one of the few characters that has remained solid. Even in SNK's failed spinoff (SNK vs. Capcom) she was A-tier material, even though that game was broken as hell.

* Sol has consistently remained as a B - B+ tier character compared to Jam because he has solid and damaging combos, and had some sort of abuseable loop that most of his game centered around. You'll see more Sols in tournies than Jam (unless it's #R) because he's higher tier, and to me he's fucking badass and his broken English is awesome.

* Terry Bogard has always remained a far more solid character than Mai. Mai is severely underpowered in the many games she's appeared in. B tier material at most. Mai's strongest incarnation in KoF since '98 (which is considered to be the 'standard' for a lot of HK/Singapore/JP KoF players) - for example, has been her 98 incarnation - she's been consistently mid to low tier in subsequent KoF games after that.

I'd discuss more fighting game issues with you, but yeah, most tournament players will play the characters that win for them... whether they're female or male doesn't matter. Me? I play the characters I like, high or low tier, male or female (Kyo Kusanagi is my favorite btw) and take on the top tier humpers to prove a point.

In PSU, I play mostly males because there's a greater abundance of female noobmans running around, and I don't mind how males look, especially the male casts in robot form (damn badass looking imo) - that and my team has an uneven population of females in it, so when there's luck days that favor males we often miss out if I didn't have them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BahnKnakyu on 2007-09-23 17:23 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BahnKnakyu on 2007-09-23 17:24 ]</font>

F-Gattaca
Sep 23, 2007, 07:28 PM
Whoa. Fighting game expert in the house!

You kinda remind me of Nth Power/Matt/Twelve/spd12/Anerki, Bahn. He makes IAQs on fighting games that don't exist and spends a lot of time designing characters and the game engine ... he should get his own dev team, dammit.

Out of curiosity topic-wise, I'd like to see a poll to see how many people play characters of their own or opposite gender, and how many characters they have that are of said genders.

... You know what? I'll go make that poll right now.

WOOD7770
Sep 23, 2007, 09:12 PM
1st character is a male cast along with the 3 friends I started with. A long period with no luck almsost a year ago, we needed a techer and female Newmans always had luck so there you go. My next 2, Beast and human are also female so my regular group would always have someone with luck. Little did I know what STA would do for a F Beast Fighgunner. 20 now with Michi and Aura!

Sinue_v2
Sep 23, 2007, 09:54 PM
I'd discuss more fighting game issues with you, but yeah, most tournament players will play the characters that win for them...

I'm no tournament player, but I can agree with this. In general, it's usually the female characters that I win with because they tend to be much faster in many cases, though I've instantly "cliqued" with several male characters and gotten into their playstyle much faster. So while I typically play Taki, Sarah Bryant, Mai, etc.. I'm equally adept and enjoy playing Siegfried, Akira Yuki, Terry Bogaurd, etc.. as well. Except for Guilty Gear X2 Reload. I tend to switch between Sol Badguy and Bridget - both males (the former more than the latter).

Niloklives
Sep 24, 2007, 01:03 AM
I didn't want to get into a fighting game debate cause this is PSU...but as far as KoF is concerned a reoccurring high tier female character is Athena.high priority and damage output with defastating speed. she didn't see much tournament play in CvS2, butShe makes her rounds in standard KoF. in 2k1 we saw a lot of play from Angel and May lee who were nerfed to hell come 2k2.

that aside, female characters tend to be faster types, which despite their looks or perhaps in spite of them, ends up being an attractive aspect in playstyle for low to mid level players who try to use the speed to make up for a lack of skill. I say this because in most cases the extra speed is not enough to compensate for their shortcomings (I.E. low defense and power as well as low priority often times). it ends up being the characters with average speed and high priority that take home the trophies, though I'll concede there are a few times where speed ends up being enough to put a character over the top. (Magneto in MvC2...*shudders*)

Fighting games are a bad example for "positive female role models in video games". the main reason being that these games are being rehashed every 12 months or so and all said and done its rare that any one character can stand up to the changes in meta game with e every evolution. for example, there was a time when zangief was a top teir combatant in th estreet fighter circuit. and in the realm of the old street fighter games he still is. however in his later appearance, he's more of a laughing stock. female characters in this scenario are no different.

In factmany developers for these games openly admit they only added some of these females to add to diversity or sex appeal. I'm reminded of the old DoA3 commercial where they were showing all the new game mechanics they'd added and at the end of the whle thing, the only comment anyone could make about anything was a remark about kasumi. "she kicks high..."

So I wouldn't use fighting games as an example of the strong female type. better to pick RPG and adventure titles. characters like samus, zelda, a a few final fantasy characters...etc. and the whole "mage" argument is another crock of shit. I many games, gendar aside, mages are powerful characters and not to be trifled with. So let the females be mages. let them carry staves and cross bows.. they'd still whoop anyone here in a fight.

and Koji. you comment about guys making female characters to whack off would be insulting if it weren't for the fact that you have a female character yourself. but thanks for letting us know why you made her...perv

Vickie
Sep 24, 2007, 01:27 AM
a onee . aa toohoooo . a three ............ a three

Niloklives
Sep 24, 2007, 02:20 AM
I know...that owl's a freakin liar!

Vickie
Sep 24, 2007, 02:35 AM
he bit it tho

Niloklives
Sep 24, 2007, 02:52 AM
he bit it meaning what? are we saying he used his sharp beak to shatter the candy shell surrounding the soft tootsie roll center of the tootsie pop? or are we being less direct and suggesting he'd burning in the firey pits of heel where all liars go?

...Just asking.

Menochi
Sep 24, 2007, 02:57 AM
I'm not sure what knowing that it takes 1286 licks to get to the center has to do with "guys as girls" other than its kind of O.o as far as word choice. The subject itself isn't something I find worth debating. People pick a character for whatever reason, and they play it. Thats prety much it and I don't see that it'd matter.

Vickie
Sep 24, 2007, 03:43 AM
yea that he bit the shit and it said "CRUNCH"

then he gave the stick back to the kid

He Cheated!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vickie on 2007-09-24 01:50 ]</font>

Niloklives
Sep 24, 2007, 05:53 AM
this is all I'm saying...

@menochi: check my Sig...it's said that since I joined this site...I assume that was the trigger...at least...I hope that was the trigger...cause if not...WHAT WAS?! x.X

Koji1m1
Sep 24, 2007, 09:13 AM
well, to set the record strait i apologize to any1 i might have offended but i didnt really mean for it to be a "inslut" and i wasent expecting any1 to take it so serious ethier, but if anyone going be sensitive about my thoughs and opinions then they should ethier ignore me or get off the internet period.

Niloklives
Sep 24, 2007, 09:46 AM
if people are just going to ignore your or leave every time you speak, if i were you I'd either leave, myself, or find work in internet crown control.

why not just say sorry and get over yourself?

Koji1m1
Sep 24, 2007, 10:23 AM
i alreay did

Niloklives
Sep 24, 2007, 11:36 AM
well that's half right

OldCoot
Sep 26, 2007, 03:47 PM
I think the debate is over. The Chinese have a solution to all our concerns.

http://news.filefront.com/chinese-mmo-bans-males-from-playing-female-characters/

Players of the Chinese MMORPG, King of the World, may have found themselves unable to log into their accounts this past weekend. The game’s publisher, Aurora Technology, has apparently frozen the accounts of all male players choosing to play as a female characters. Now, only female players can play female characters, and they’re required to prove their gender via a webcam. Females wanting to play males are still allowed though.

I’m still waiting to hear a reason for this though. The best I can think of is that they wanted people playing to be sure that the people they were talking too were really the gender they claimed they were, but then why still allow females to play male character? Seems like a pretty easy way to drive off a lot of customers though. Besides essentially getting rid of any male wanting to play as a female character (a fairly large consumer base), what about all those people who had their characters really built up at the time of the ban? Are they just out of luck and have to start over? And the webcam thing really isn’t going to deter male players from playing as females. All you’d need is a female friend willing to sit in front of a computer for a couple minutes or a penchant for cross-dressing.

Akaimizu
Sep 26, 2007, 04:02 PM
If I remember right, that particular Chinese MMO had a specific terms of service where players have to play within gender. Why they singled out allowing females to play as males is an oddity to that terms of service, though.

Plenty of females play male characters and don't care what anybody thinks. Of course, people wondered (when the announcement was first made), what was going to happen to them. Hooray for double standards.

BahnKnakyu
Oct 1, 2007, 11:02 AM
<quote>I didn't want to get into a fighting game debate cause this is PSU...but as far as KoF is concerned a reoccurring high tier female character is Athena.high priority and damage output with defastating speed. she didn't see much tournament play in CvS2, butShe makes her rounds in standard KoF. in 2k1 we saw a lot of play from Angel and May lee who were nerfed to hell come 2k2. </quote>

I disagree.

KoF 94 & 95 - Midtier if at best.

KoF 96 - The only reason why she was so abusable was because of her wtf cheesy Phoenix Arrow. Everybody had something cheap and stupid about them in this game.

KoF 97 - I didn't play too much 97, so you can feel free to beat me up on this one.

KoF 98 - She was a bitch in this one. Ticks into Super Psychic Throw. Extra mode dwn + B abuse. Insane speed and priority on her Shining Crystal Bit. Unblockable fireballs with her Psychic Teleport, etc.

99 - 2k1 - These versions of Athena were mediocre at best. 99 Athena especially, she got nerfed pretty bad. Lower priority, lower speed on most of her special moves, lack of a good keepaway game - I've seen only ONE Athena player when 99-2k1 were at my arcade.

2k2 - Oh god, this version of Athena was a bitch. NO LAG EVERYTHING. High priority normals. HIGH SPEED PSYCHO BALL, HIGH SPEED TELEPORT. Phoenix Fang Arrow that was spammable for free tick damage. You could link two Phoenix Fang Arrows into each other provided the opponent was standing when they got hit by the first one. I mean, WTF?

2k3 - This game was a broken piece of shit thanks to that fat grubby game "producer" Falcoon.

XI - Mediocre. Most of her moves are slow, and because of that she is easy to read.

So yeah... so you got the two "pure" versions of KoF - 98 and 2k2 (96 not withstanding) having the most broken version of Athena. And much like PSU players who can't get over the fact that this game is not PSO, there are tons of KoF players that refuse to advance beyond these two games, because the other KoFs were too "different" for them.

And WTF @ the Chinese MMORPG thing.

Rashiid
Oct 1, 2007, 11:24 AM
oh comon; this thread was good while it was dead....