PDA

View Full Version : How hard are Double Sabers and single daggers to time with J

Agnostic187
Sep 22, 2007, 02:42 AM
Also can you start an attack with a regular attack and do the next part to hit the critical on?

Like Tornado Dance, how could you hit a Just Attack on it since its only one attack? Would you have to hit normal attack and THEN a PA to get the effect?

I'm blind and I couldn't find that Just Attack topic :/

Agnostic187
Sep 22, 2007, 02:46 AM
And do you have to just attack or can you use your normal PA like always?

beatrixkiddo
Sep 22, 2007, 02:52 AM
To get the boost on the first hit of a PA (or the only hit for some) you'll need to do at least one normal attack first, then hit the PA button with the correct timing. For the 2st and/or 3st combo of a PA you need to hit the PA button with correct timing during the PA combo itself.

Menochi
Sep 22, 2007, 02:52 AM
Doublesabers unknown.

Dagger is easy, don't worry about it so much. Just wait for it, you can PA spam like any other noob too if you choose.

Agnostic187
Sep 22, 2007, 02:56 AM
Ooo Unknown, scary.

I'm sure one day I'll figure it out. This seems like just a bonus and not a "You must Just Attack"

Menochi
Sep 22, 2007, 03:03 AM
Its only unknown because its the only melee weapon I've never used. Its just timing, not mandatory.

I'll probably get around to synthing the crea doubles I found today and maybe try out fighgunner for a few minutes and see. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

SStrikerR
Sep 22, 2007, 09:27 AM
On 2007-09-22 01:03, Menochi wrote:
Its only unknown because its the only melee weapon I've never used. Its just timing, not mandatory.

I'll probably get around to synthing the crea doubles I found today and maybe try out fighgunner for a few minutes and see. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

sooooooo not cool!!!!!

Lyrise
Sep 22, 2007, 11:02 AM
Double Saber isn't very hard to JA. But since Doublesabers are naturally slow, adding JA to it makes the delay even worse. It does make Tornado Dance that much more destructive though.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Just attack is best used with weapons that have little to no recoil, and PAs that have little to no recovery time. It's a bit harder to get used to, but its better than waiting out a huge gap and letting your target escape your range.

Agnostic187
Sep 22, 2007, 05:01 PM
Isn't there really no wait as you'll still be attacking it regardless? I mean your PA doesn't not attack at any point or do u have to wait until the ASS END or an attack to get the effect?

Tornado Dance is going to be sikk I can just imagine it. As long as I can find a way to time Gravity Dance, I'll manage. I also use Twin Claws and will be using Dos Robaddo soon so it should work out fine.

Menochi
Sep 22, 2007, 05:13 PM
On 2007-09-22 15:01, Agnostic187 wrote:
Isn't there really no wait as you'll still be attacking it regardless? I mean your PA doesn't not attack at any point or do u have to wait until the ASS END or an attack to get the effect?

Tornado Dance is going to be sikk I can just imagine it. As long as I can find a way to time Gravity Dance, I'll manage. I also use Twin Claws and will be using Dos Robaddo soon so it should work out fine.

In your words, you have to wait until the ASS END of an attack to start the next one, in order to get just attack. Press the attack button before the ASS END, and no just attack.

Lyrise
Sep 22, 2007, 05:17 PM
This is one of those technical intricacies that JA adds to PSU. To get the effect, you MUST attack at the very end. But nothing says once you JA you must keep doing so. Decide if you want to use a normal attack, or a PA, using JA or not, the choice is yours to make depending on your situation, and the weapon you are using. Simple question to ask yourself at each iteration of offense. Do you want to pull 150% damage on your next action and risk missing? Or do you ensure you hit the target at the cost of a critical attack?

If you believe you have the time to do so, then do it, such as against slow moving bosses. But if you're use, for example, a sword, with Gravity Break, then you have to ensure that the situation calls for it, since your attack is already slow as hell, and adding a small delay to it will eradicate any chance of hitting agile monsters.

Dark_Heal_v2
Sep 25, 2007, 08:18 PM
On 2007-09-22 09:02, Lyrise wrote:
Just attack is best used with weapons that have little to no recoil, and PAs that have little to no recovery time. It's a bit harder to get used to, but its better than waiting out a huge gap and letting your target escape your range.

so which weapons/PAs would be the best?

omegapirate2k
Sep 25, 2007, 11:39 PM
I'm sure it's easy to learn the double saber JA if it's all you use.

Menochi
Sep 25, 2007, 11:45 PM
They're all pretty easy to pick up and get the timing down from what I've used. Its the being smart about it that takes a little time. Knowing when to do it and when not to, really.

beatrixkiddo
Sep 25, 2007, 11:53 PM
On 2007-09-25 18:18, Dark_Heal_v2 wrote:

Just attack is best used with weapons that have little to no recoil, and PAs that have little to no recovery time. It's a bit harder to get used to, but its better than waiting out a huge gap and letting your target escape your range.

Renkai, Majarra, Daggas, Gravity Strike all work wonders with JA from what I've seen and from what I've used.

Lyrise
Sep 25, 2007, 11:58 PM
On 2007-09-25 18:18, Dark_Heal_v2 wrote:

Sabers are good, all 3 PAs work, with Gravity Strike being godlike, and Spinning Strike doing high amounts of damage while maintaining good speed (doesn't always work out, but it usually does.) Daggers are exceptionally good (w/ all PAs) as well as Twinsaber (Splendor Crush is ok here, see my comment with spinning strike; but the other 2 are fantastic), twin daggers is a bit harder to time, and only moubuseirenzan is good to PA, since Renkaibuyouzan has really crummy range that only works due to no delay.

Knuckles are good weapons to JA with, but JA only lends itself well to boga danga. Spear is decent, but chaining the 3rd hit to a PA is not as easy. Dus Majarra is probably the only PA I can recommend NOT using JA with, since some of the end frames are the most awkward to time; the fact that majarra keeps cutting its range as you keep progressing with the combo is a pain.

For the big weapons, sword normal combo is decent, but avoid Gravity Break with JA at all costs unless your target doesn't move lot, or you have a svaltus sword; of course, it's Gravity Break, the single most powerful SA in game, you don't really need JA, it does huge amounts of damage on its own and negates defense for the most part. The other 2 work just fine though. Axe however, is the biggest exception to the speed rule. Because normal strikes cause knockdown, you 're essentially given all the time you need to keep going without any fear of escape. This also gives you the ability to JA any of the PAs effortlessly.

Other than that, my description is just a general outline. How you play and the situations you're put in will determine how well Just attack works with weapons and PAs.

beatrixkiddo
Sep 26, 2007, 12:02 AM
Heh I find Majarra so easy to time :/ Just have to wait for your chara to land.

Lyrise
Sep 26, 2007, 02:11 AM
I guess I can attribute that to the fact that male and female animations are somewhat different.

Dein
Sep 26, 2007, 08:29 AM
I was under the impression that if you did a JA with normal attacks and then used a PA that the entire PA would be critical hits, regardless of timing. If I read things right though this isn't the case and you have to time the different parts of the PA combos to keep the JA effect going?

omegapirate2k
Sep 26, 2007, 12:14 PM
On 2007-09-26 06:29, Dein wrote:
I was under the impression that if you did a JA with normal attacks and then used a PA that the entire PA would be critical hits, regardless of timing. If I read things right though this isn't the case and you have to time the different parts of the PA combos to keep the JA effect going?

Only the part of the PA you made a just attack will be a just attack, the rest of the PA is up to you.

beatrixkiddo
Sep 26, 2007, 12:27 PM
I'll use Renkai as an example.

1. Press down for a regular hit. (1 hit)
2. Press right (with proper timing) to Just Attack the first combo of Renkai (3 hits)
3. Press right again (with proper timing) to Just Attack the second combo (2 hits)
4. Press right again (with proper timing) to Just Attack the third combo (4 hits >.> I think)

The only criticals you get are following correctly timed button presses. Oh, and you still can get criticals like before if you choose not to JA, but that's not so important.