PDA

View Full Version : Purchase PC Version of PSU ??

Indica
Sep 23, 2007, 01:25 PM
Has anyone purchased the PC version lately and what store they got it from?

I went to one Walmart by me and dont see a copy, a while back i heard some people they said they say Walmart selling them

Sychosis
Sep 23, 2007, 01:29 PM
Wait a second...people buy the PC version?!

F-Gattaca
Sep 23, 2007, 01:42 PM
On 2007-09-23 11:29, Sychosis wrote:

I did.

I preordered my copy from Software Etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-09-23 11:48 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Sep 23, 2007, 01:47 PM

Indica
Sep 23, 2007, 01:57 PM
Our population is not at 0 yet so apparently it seems so.

If worst comes to worst I'll just buy it off Amazon.com, I was trying to avoid any online purchases becuase I have to have it shipped to my moms house and need to update my Bank info to allow different address.

5yo's are so helpful with information

CelestialBlade
Sep 23, 2007, 02:02 PM
If Sega were smart they'd put activation codes on the PC version.

Otherwise everyone's just going to pirate it. It's almost silly how easy it is.

Sychosis
Sep 23, 2007, 02:03 PM
On 2007-09-23 11:57, Indica wrote:
Our population is not at 0 yet so apparently it seems so.

If worst comes to worst I'll just buy it off Amazon.com, I was trying to avoid any online purchases becuase I have to have it shipped to my moms house and need to update my Bank info to allow different address.

5yo's are so helpful with information

Struck a nerve did I?

Since it clearly went over your head, let me put it bluntly. No CD keys makes this game unbelievably easy to get for free.

Indica
Sep 23, 2007, 02:06 PM
On 2007-09-23 12:02, Typheros wrote:

It would be interesting if AOI will do that. Would be the best way to prevent hackers and banned players from easily comming back. They would need to fork over paying a new Game CD/DVD and monthly subscription

Zorafim
Sep 23, 2007, 02:14 PM
Heh, I pirated my PC version too. Not that I actually play it, seeing how it's more convenient playing the PS2 version (and more honest). As for buying it, um...
Wait for AoI?

Wal-Mart has a sucky selection of games, anyway. Trust me, I live in the Wal-Mart capitol of the world, and I do my game shopping in Game Crazy.

-Ryuki-
Sep 23, 2007, 02:25 PM
Bought mine at EB Games.

beatrixkiddo
Sep 23, 2007, 02:27 PM
Best Buy :< I was pirating it but it was slow and I felt bad so I went and bought it.

Oh and I had a friend in Japan ship me JP PSU at launch, but you can't exactly pirate JP PSU so that's a given.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: beatrixkiddo on 2007-09-23 12:29 ]</font>

VanHalen
Sep 23, 2007, 02:31 PM
On 2007-09-23 12:25, RyukiZero wrote:
Bought mine at EB Games.

Same. I think I just lost some pirate points now T_T

Lyrix
Sep 23, 2007, 02:33 PM
i bought the PS2 version, but i just used my friends pc disk x.x

Sinue_v2
Sep 23, 2007, 02:44 PM
I don't feel bad at all for pirating my copy. I already bought three other legitimate versions for the PS2, 360, and one for a friend since he was out of work when it launched. Sega's already got my money, and then-some.

I feel no different pirating PSU than I do for downloading the PSII Rom for my Genesis emulator after buying the original game, the GBA Collection, Sega Smash Pack version, Sega Genesis Collection, and possibly an XBL Arcade download if they make it available.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-09-23 12:46 ]</font>

relentless
Sep 23, 2007, 02:44 PM
On 2007-09-23 12:25, RyukiZero wrote:
Bought mine at EB Games.

Amazon for me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Too lazy to go to EB Games.

Mysterious-G
Sep 23, 2007, 03:07 PM
On 2007-09-23 12:02, Typheros wrote:

Uhm, I guess they did that wilful.
People pirate the game on a LAN-Party, play the offline mode and notice: "I like it! I will play it online and make SEGA rich!"

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

AeraLure
Sep 23, 2007, 03:53 PM
I bought mine the morning it launched. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Bewilders me to this day that SEGA didnt put activation codes on the PC version. Didnt they want to make money? Wonder why the game wasnt just a download for free from their site and then monthly fee to play, since they had to know a large % of the games would be pirated.

DonRoyale
Sychosis is right. Without an activation key, you can basically pass this game around to whoever you want.

I've already tried with two of my friends. Unfortunately, I failed both times, because they have crappy PC's http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Indica
I mainly want to play on the PC so I can take screen shots. Majority of people I play dont seem to take enough or any at all when Im doing runs.

Dunno if it's a hosting issue but I play to host a ton of pix

Turambar
Sep 23, 2007, 04:07 PM
I still saw a copy of the PC version over at my local EB Games when I went to buy Persona 3. That was about a month ago.

And yeah, bought mine from the same store.

MrNomad
Sep 23, 2007, 04:44 PM
Its not like giving someone a pc CD of PSU is all that bad, I mean offline is like a baby bike with training wheels compared to online not to mention the actual bulk of the game requires you drop a monthly fee at the bank of SEGA http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Skye-Fox713
Sep 23, 2007, 05:20 PM
I got my PC version the day it came out from my local EB store

Turbobrain
Sep 23, 2007, 05:26 PM
They should make it free and make money if people choose to play online. I think it would work.

I thought that the 360 community ciuld download AoI, wish we could.

I would go on the 360 version if it were not for the great people I know in my community, the fact I've already invested 2000 hours on the PC/PS2 version and I hate M$. A LOT.

Hatori
Sep 23, 2007, 08:08 PM
Thinking about giving this game another try, but just had a few quick questions. Are the PS2/PC servers really dead/empty? Can anyone give me an estimate of how many people are online during peak hours? Thanks

F-Gattaca
Sep 23, 2007, 08:21 PM
On 2007-09-23 18:08, Hatori wrote:
Thinking about giving this game another try, but just had a few quick questions. Are the PS2/PC servers really dead/empty? Can anyone give me an estimate of how many people are online during peak hours? Thanks

Assuming a single star means 200 people, there's usually 600 people on in Universe 2 at peak hours. Sometimes 800.

I'm not sure how many people are on the other universes, but my money is on around 10~50 ...

Sgt_Shligger
Sep 23, 2007, 08:23 PM
On 2007-09-23 11:47, Sinue_v2 wrote:

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 23, 2007, 09:59 PM
I received the game for free from Sega, but I had, unfortunately, already paid for a pre-order.

I really don't think Sega is concerned with people pirating the game, and I suspect that there are only two reasons why it's not a free download:

This incredible availability of the PC version would make a huge dent in sales of console versions
They want people to pay separately for the offline story mode.

The fact is that they probably receive more money by requiring a CD key. Let's face it-- PSU is not WoW. WoW is popular enough that Blizzard can get away with making everyone pay for the client, but PSU just doesn't have that momentum. If PSU discs get passed around, the most likely reason is going to be that it's friends trying to get other friends to play online with them. The direct result of this is that more accounts are created and paid for, which is where their profits lay. If a new player sticks around to play for five months, then that's paid for the game, at launch price, but possibly even better, if a new player pays for six months all at once, goes nuts with it for a week, and never touches it again, then that immediately pays for the game client and hardly adds to their servers' usage.

Paying for the client only accounts for the tiniest fraction of their profit from the game. The overwhelming of profit (and what makes the game really worth Sega's investment) comes from server access subscriptions. Simply put, if they have to turn a blind eye to a few pirates distributing their client software, then they're not going to get fussy over that which brings them more income.