PDA

View Full Version : The Great Gender Cloverleaf Interchange

F-Gattaca
Sep 23, 2007, 07:36 PM
So--where do you weigh in? This poll is specific to PSU only--given that not all MMORPGs are the same, only consider the characters you have in PSU when answering.

If you have an even amount of gendered characters, choose the "mostly" option that your main's gender is a part of. For example, if I had two female characters, I'd answer "Mostly Male Characters" because my only significantly leveled character is, well, me.

Considering the polls I've seen of iRO players and their characters, this should be interesting.

Chuck_Norris
Sep 23, 2007, 07:41 PM
lolwut?

Kimil
Sep 23, 2007, 07:45 PM
I only really use Chiyoko Anymore, soooo All Fem Characters I guess? =/

F-Gattaca
Sep 23, 2007, 07:45 PM
On 2007-09-23 17:41, chuck_norris wrote:
lolwut?

Well, this topic (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=154487&forum=20&155) got me curious.

For future reference ... at my own RO webcomic's forum a poll was taken by someone else that followed these lines (but since RO decides the gender of your characters by your own account info, there is no mixture of genders possible). This is what it looked like last:

"What are you?
Male using male characters [ 32 ] [61.54%]
Male using female characters [ 2 ] [3.85%]
Female using male characters [ 4 ] [7.69%]
Female using female characters [ 14 ] [26.92%]
Total Votes: 52 "

This was more of a sampling of all official RO services since a lot of people visit my forums who play elsewhere. I was actually surprised by the low amount of men playing as women in the poll--and the amount of women playing as men outnumbering them.

ljkkjlcm9
Sep 23, 2007, 07:46 PM
why isn't there a half characters option

THE JACKEL

Neith
Sep 23, 2007, 07:48 PM
Male, all female characters. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Whether I have male characters in a game depends on what the customization is like. I didn't like PSU's, so I went with a legion of females.

Sychosis
Male - Mostly female. My main is female and I rarely play my alt male CAST.

F-Gattaca
On 2007-09-23 17:46, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
why isn't there a half characters option

THE JACKEL

If you have an even amount of gendered characters, choose the "mostly" option that your main's gender is a part of. For example, if I had two female characters, I'd answer "Mostly Male Characters" because my only significantly leveled character is, well, me.

I would have needed 10 poll options. The new thread page only allowed for 9, so that's why I did it like this.

It kind of works out anyway, because the main character is played the most, and therefore are more visible to others than alts.

Ezodagrom
Mostly female chars, 3 female and 1 male.

Chuck_Norris
Sep 23, 2007, 07:49 PM
On 2007-09-23 17:45, F-Gattaca wrote:

On 2007-09-23 17:41, chuck_norris wrote:
lolwut?

Well, this topic (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=154487&forum=20&155) got me curious.

For future reference ... at my own RO webcomic's forum a poll was taken by someone else that followed these lines (but since RO decides the gender of your characters by your own account info, there is no mixture of genders possible). This is what it looked like last:

"What are you?
Male using male characters [ 32 ] [61.54%]
Male using female characters [ 2 ] [3.85%]
Female using male characters [ 4 ] [7.69%]
Female using female characters [ 14 ] [26.92%]
Total Votes: 52 "

This was more of a sampling of all official RO services since a lot of people visit my forums who play elsewhere. I was actually surprised by the low amount of men playing as women in the poll--and the amount of women playing as men outnumbering them.

Ah, ok, i see. Well i guess mine would be mostly male, since 2 out of 3 of my characters are male.

RedX
Sep 23, 2007, 07:57 PM
Hard to say for me. I have 3 females but i really only play Seth. I put Male - mostly Female because i actually have more Females though.

Midicronica
Sep 23, 2007, 08:01 PM
Male, mostly female. The two characters I play with mostly are both female. I have two other male characters, but one of them I won't be playing with until the expansion.

Allison_W
Sep 23, 2007, 08:09 PM
Female, all female characters. Doesn't just apply here--I never play boy characters, unless it's like Diablo II where every class has a preset gender. Am I really that strange?

DonRoyale
Sep 23, 2007, 08:12 PM
Male, all males.

If we had 8 character slots, I'd use two females-a CAST and a Beast. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Allison_W
Sep 23, 2007, 08:20 PM
On 2007-09-23 18:12, DonRoyale wrote:
Male, all males.

If we had 8 character slots, I'd use two females-a CAST and a Beast. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Yeah, CAST girls are hot. Knight-in-shining armour girls ftw.

Authenticate
Sep 23, 2007, 08:23 PM
My male cast is lower, but he's got almost as many hours played as my female newman does. I guess I'm still Male - Mostly Female either way.

Sgt_Shligger
Sep 23, 2007, 08:26 PM
Male with one male character. Any other character's I make are female.

PJ
Sep 23, 2007, 08:33 PM
Male, 3 males 1 female.

BanF
Sep 23, 2007, 08:33 PM
Nice poll; it will also help to show the current forum-goer male/female ratio, which so far is looking to be normal for most kind of videogames (i.e. far more guys than gals). To get a better understanding of this issue, what would follow is a "how old are you?" poll.

McLaughlin
Sep 23, 2007, 08:37 PM
Male - All Male. I have a Male Cast as my main character, and my up-and-coming Male Human as an alt. I have a Female Beast that I had to create to store more PA Fragments, but I don't ever plan to use that character for anything other than a PM slot.

Skye-Fox713
well i have 3 female characters and 1 male but I only play 1 of the females which is my main and the male, so ill have to go with...

male-mostly female

VanHalen
Male 3 males and 1 female. I actually wasn't going to make a female character but someone convinced me. This is my first female character I've ever made.

Dre_o
Sep 23, 2007, 08:39 PM
I'll say it like my brother said it

"Yes, my main character is a male, but I can't stare at man-ass every second I play."

1 Male: lv 80

3 Females: lv 35 and below

Thus, I will not vote

Kylie
Sep 23, 2007, 08:42 PM
Female - all female. My only significant characters are Kylie and Elle.

Omega_Weltall
Sep 23, 2007, 08:43 PM
look at how many "females" (i still question that) answer....

Rashiid
Sep 23, 2007, 08:46 PM
all fems. that +2 sta is like gold http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Menochi
Sep 23, 2007, 08:52 PM
On 2007-09-23 18:43, Omega_Weltall wrote:
look at how many "females" (i still question that) answer....

3 versus 35? Seems a proper ratio.

Maybe you just can't believe that a game with as much clothing options and character customization can attract a decent amount of females?

Omega_Weltall
Sep 23, 2007, 08:54 PM
no.... just that there are no girls on the interwebs (wish they were >_>)

RegulusHikari
Sep 23, 2007, 08:56 PM
All 3 of my characters are male. My fourth would be female, but I like that slot for joke characters/grinding.

Menochi
Sep 23, 2007, 09:26 PM
On 2007-09-23 18:54, Omega_Weltall wrote:
no.... just that there are no girls on the interwebs (wish they were >_>)

Then I shall leave you to your delusion. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Ermac
Sep 23, 2007, 09:29 PM
Male-mostly male, got one female human. I usually go with males in most since they usually have awesome armor (sorry, skimpy armor doesn't protect you that well.) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Don't get me wrong, it's nice eye candy. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Guildenstern
Sep 23, 2007, 10:23 PM
I'm a girl and all my characters are girls, so...
Female- All female was my vote.

...I hope that helps. (o___o)v

BanF
Sep 23, 2007, 10:27 PM
On 2007-09-23 19:29, Ermac wrote:
Male-mostly male, got one female human. I usually go with males in most since they usually have awesome armor (sorry, skimpy armor doesn't protect you that well.) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Don't get me wrong, it's nice eye candy. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Except no one wears visible armor in PSU. But yes, the chainmail bikini epidemic in other games (WoW comes to mind) is bizarre.

[EDIT} Here's a comic about that subject:

http://www.secretlivesofmobs.com/index.php?strip_id=20

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BanF on 2007-09-23 20:34 ]</font>

beatrixkiddo
Sep 23, 2007, 10:48 PM
Male, All Male on the US servers, but I made a female on the JP servers. In addition, I played some females on PSOBB but the females in PSO were so unbalanced >_>

F-Gattaca
Sep 24, 2007, 12:34 AM
Male - Mostly Male Characters 35.85 % (19)
Male - Mostly Female Characters 24.53 % (13)
Male - All Male Characters 16.98 % (9)
Male - All Female Characters 11.32 % (6)
Female - All Female Characters 7.55 % (4)
Female - All Male Characters 1.89 % (1)
Female - Mostly Female Characters 1.89 % (1)
Female - Mostly Male Characters 0.00 % (0)

Total Votes: 53

Daaamn, look at that disparity!

Maybe you just can't believe that a game with as much clothing options and character customization can attract a decent amount of females?

Well, the current count is 6 to 47. On the first page of this topic I posted the results of a poll among RO players; there's three times as many women in that game (at least, according to the poll). The appearance of RO characters is highly limited compared to PSU; you only get a set amount of hairstyles and headgear to choose from.

So ... I don't think it's just a matter of that. I'm not actually sure what RO did to attract the interest of so many female gamers, but I don't think I've seen as many in a single game as I have RO. If we're going to compare ratios of women to men in the MMO circles, it'd be more instructive to try and get a ratio from WoW before we really sit down and figure out what it is women really want from a MMO.

Damn, I'm starting to sound like a sociologist here.

Female, all female characters. Doesn't just apply here--I never play boy characters, unless it's like Diablo II where every class has a preset gender. Am I really that strange?

I'm typically the same way as far as masculinity is concerned ... well ... sorta. I was a male in WoW, and continue to play males in RO and Armada Online ... but in Anarchy Online I was an Atrox Martial Artist, and for anyone who's not played AO, Atroxes have no gender. Neither submarines nor submarine pens have they.

... Yet, PSU may be the first time I've ever made a female character in an MMO, and even then it's mainly a gag thing among me and friends, kind of like Deja's crew and his Soviet Saturdays bit--where they all made temp characters of Communist dictators and raided Gawik's pub. "COMRADES!"

I only made that female character 'cause she's the least girly of the show she comes from (she's actually been called a 'reverse trap' by some). I would've axed her to make the Boomin' Newman, but she's now the owner of my sole pure ranged synthing PM, so ...

BanF
Sep 24, 2007, 01:36 AM
Well, here's some food for thought on why RO has more female players than PSU:

RO is played on a PC, which is a multi-tasking tool, while the 360 and the PS2 are nothing but game consoles; most women and girls have access and interest in the PC, but the same can't be said of the two consoles, particularly the 360, which is advertised as hardcore platform for hardcore games, and while there are hardcore women gamers, they are rather rare. Now, if you go and search for one of the "which platform" polls that are around here or the official forums, you'll see that most people play PSU on consoles, and when you add to add that it is not that popular a game in either of them, this poll's results of 51 men to 6 women are not at all strange.

Menochi
Sep 24, 2007, 01:54 AM
On 2007-09-23 22:34, F-Gattaca wrote:
So ... I don't think it's just a matter of that. I'm not actually sure what RO did to attract the interest of so many female gamers, but I don't think I've seen as many in a single game as I have RO. If we're going to compare ratios of women to men in the MMO circles, it'd be more instructive to try and get a ratio from WoW before we really sit down and figure out what it is women really want from a MMO.

From a female perspective, I'd say RO appealed due to the character design itself and not just the variety. Lots of lite cheerful cuteness in a package makes it 'fun' to control an avatar of the type. Its what I really loved about tales of eternia online.

My view is somewhat sqewed since I play on the Japanese version, but I have more female friends than male, 3 male to 15 female (unless you count the two females who share accounts with their brothers as 'not-applicable'). Though, its likely simply due to the fact that its much more advertised there.

On 2007-09-23 23:36, BanF wrote:

RO is played on a PC, which is a multi-tasking tool, while the 360 and the PS2 are nothing but game consoles; most women and girls have access and interest in the PC, but the same can't be said of the two consoles, particularly the 360, which is advertised as hardcore platform for hardcore games, and while there are hardcore women gamers, they are rather rare. Now, if you go and search for one of the "which platform" polls that are around here or the official forums, you'll see that most people play PSU on consoles, and when you add to add that it is not that popular a game in either of them, this poll's results of 51 men to 6 women are not at all strange.

Well, theres a large amount of female gamers who own consoles, more than PC really, its cheaper, easier, more user friendly. For PSU, its the lack of notriety. All of the female english gamers I've met who play PSU (4) only one didn't play PSO previously. And I think that one quit early on in PSU's life.

Sophia
Sep 24, 2007, 02:20 AM
Girl and i only play girl chars.
Dont wanna play as a male char ^^;

Starrz
Sep 24, 2007, 03:03 AM
no girls on the internet

Sophia
Sep 24, 2007, 03:06 AM
no boys on the internet

Menochi
Sep 24, 2007, 03:14 AM
no people on the ARPA.net

-Ryuki-
Sep 24, 2007, 03:59 AM
As stated in another thread, I have 2 female alts, Red Ranger, and of course, "me" (Ryuki).

BanF
Sep 24, 2007, 04:03 AM
On 2007-09-23 23:54, Menochi wrote:

On 2007-09-23 22:34, F-Gattaca wrote:

From a female perspective, I'd say RO appealed due to the character design itself and not just the variety. Lots of lite cheerful cuteness in a package makes it 'fun' to control an avatar of the type. Its what I really loved about tales of eternia online.

My view is somewhat sqewed since I play on the Japanese version, but I have more female friends than male, 3 male to 15 female (unless you count the two females who share accounts with their brothers as 'not-applicable'). Though, its likely simply due to the fact that its much more advertised there.

On 2007-09-23 23:36, BanF wrote:

Well, theres a large amount of female gamers who own consoles, more than PC really, its cheaper, easier, more user friendly. For PSU, its the lack of notriety. All of the female english gamers I've met who play PSU (4) only one didn't play PSO previously. And I think that one quit early on in PSU's life.

For gaming, consoles are easier, but PCs are for everything else, like chat or email or schoolwork, so chances are that these women who play RO use the family (i.e. general purpose) computer since the game is not resource incentive nor you need to be a leet haxxor to install and play it; up to a point, RO can be as casual and easy to have and play on a PC as, say, Bejeweled. I'm sure there are hardcore female modders with their own custom PCs and such, but they tend to use such powerhouses to play games that require them and not something like RO, even though they can and probably some do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that PCs are much easier for casual and not-at-the-peak-of-tech games like RO (not to mention much more available), so more women who only have PCs will be playing them; PSU is not hard to install or anything (GG + AVG aside), but it certainly demands more of the player than RO, so most women players will be from the console side of the equation.

Zael
Sep 24, 2007, 04:04 AM
PC/PS2: 2 Females, 1 Male
360: 1 Female, 1 Male

Mewn
Sep 24, 2007, 04:08 AM
US: 3 females
JP: 1 male

Jarek
Sep 24, 2007, 04:58 AM
Male-Mostly male characters.
Although I have 2 of each gender, the 2 males' combined levels are higher than the combined levels of my 2 females.

--
Also, this forum has lag issues or something. -.- *deletes 2 extra posts*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psobsesser on 2007-09-24 03:22 ]</font>

Anduril
Sep 24, 2007, 09:24 AM
Male- Mostly Female Characters.
My main is a Female, however my first alt is a male. But my other two extremely low-level alts are female. I only play with my main and my first alt, but I do technically have more female characters.

RadiantLegend
Sep 24, 2007, 10:29 AM
As of now, Male - all male characters

Micro
Sep 24, 2007, 10:31 AM
Male - 2 of each - main is male, my "secondary" main is female...

Kanju
Sep 24, 2007, 11:46 AM
Male - Mostly Female Characters

My main is a female newman, while my secondary main is a male human(which I really need to level). I'll probably delete my F CAST Guntecher to make an M CAST... Guntecher, but it's going to be a pain leveling up crossbows again.

biggabertha
Sep 24, 2007, 02:08 PM
Male, mostly male characters. (Three male, one female.)

I was so sexist about this subject a few years back until I went to Hong Kong and visited my cousins. There, all the FEMALE cousins were the hardcore gamers looking for online boyfriends whereas the MALE cousins were persuading their real life girlfriends to stop flirting with what was possibly, male players but most likely female players playing as males.

I have to say.. It certainly was odd seeing it the other way around... Having said that though, I only really know female gamers (or so some say but like it really matters) online as most of the guys I've met are very young type liek dis.

Not forgetting the ones that type LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME.

Ami~
Sep 24, 2007, 03:34 PM
I'm gunna have to go with all female since I feel real awkward playing a male character XD

panzer_unit
Sep 24, 2007, 03:54 PM
I've got my main male Cast, a female Cast alt that I'm starting to feeling a little uncomfortable playing, and my wife's old characters (both female) running my shop and gathering dust respectively.

As for my wife, she played lots of videogames when she was little and they were new... then picked up the habit again thanks to me. She's stuck at the point of loving online RPG's (they're simpler and open-ended, as opposed to linear story-type offline RPG's with frequently baffling combat mechanics) but she hates the hell out of online gamers. The couple friends she's made online became IRL friends, and usually she games just with people we already know for real.

I'm the opposite, I love meeting and chatting with new people in-game but I'm not interested in anything beyond the online character.

Wallin
Sep 24, 2007, 04:43 PM
Mostly male, but I switch it up like crazy. In WoW I had a male Paladin, Warrior, Rogue, Warlock, and Hunter, and a female Priest, Mage, and Druid. But lately my mains have been male healers since after all the idiots I've met in my MMO experiences I hate leaving the healing to people who never pay attention or don't know what they're doing.

Sha Sha
Sep 24, 2007, 05:44 PM
female mostly male charas i have two female two male but i play my main male more then any other chara

Aries2384
Sep 24, 2007, 07:04 PM
I started with a male beast. Got him up to 80 and decided I wanted to give the other classes a try. Then I got my female newman techer up to 90. Loved the techer class. And male newmans look ugly. Blah. I've invested almost 500 hours into this one techer alone and if I had to look at a ugly ass male newman the entire time.. I'd gag. So how is picking a female character when you're a guy any different then people picking female characters in Dead Or Alive... or even playing Dead Or Alive beach volleyball. Its fan service dammit. There's nothing wrong with it. Any people who bash people for their choices are just foolish and too cookie-cutter. It IS the player's choice and as long as they don't run around typing only trying to act like they are actually women, I don't see the problem.

ifiwetan
Sep 24, 2007, 07:33 PM
All male, having a female character is kindof gay (imo). Im not looking at my characters figure because I just dont notice it on doodz, putting make-up n suff on a girl is so schizophrenic / drag queenish. :/

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Sep 24, 2007, 10:13 PM
2 Females
2 Males, My highest is a LV68. (Male)

Omega_Weltall
Sep 24, 2007, 10:23 PM
eh might as well answer... i have 2 males and 2 females

1 male newman lv 65*
1 male CAST lv 5*
1 female human lv 48*
1 female beast lv 11*

* at time of posting

so wow... there really are REAL women on the interents... WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?!
Well its a bout time, tired of talking to doods all the time...damn sausage fest........