PDA

View Full Version : Question for importers

Bliven
Sep 29, 2007, 10:03 AM
I'm currently studying japanese, and I'm in my 3rd COLLEGE semester. Do you think 1) I have enough japanese knowledge to play the import? 2) Do you think playing the import will help me in my quest to learn japanese?

Thank you.

Dein
Sep 29, 2007, 10:07 AM
You don't need much japanese knowledge to play PSU as most of the items and menus are in katakana from what I've seen. Not sure how much the game will help you learn japanese but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

AC9breaker
Sep 29, 2007, 10:09 AM
I don't know shit JP and I play, lol. Its mostly guessing and trial and error.

Menochi
Sep 29, 2007, 12:24 PM
Depends on how far you go, as the other two said, you could play without knowing any Japanese (not even having to be able to read katakana) but you lose a lot of the fun and detail of the story and items. The majority of kanji used is common, while things like 'seirei' are created words for the game itself, along with military terms etc.

As far as using it as an assisting tool to learn Japanese, that again depends on how far you take it. You're dealing with an online game with a community of Japanese speaking people. If you've got the basics down, you can usually socialize with them and assumably pick up additional words as you go. If you recluse or only play with those who speak English, you won't learn as much from it, and may be better off with some other teaching tool.

That said, I haven't spent a single penny on learning Japanese, unless you count my PSO/PSU subscriptions. Got anime for free, and played in a bunch of free betas that friends were looking into for other MMOs. The only limitations I have is that I barely know stroke order (let alone remember how to write the symbols) and as far as writing goes, I don't have the format. Since my learning tool only covers conversation Japanese.

Niloklives
Sep 29, 2007, 12:31 PM
worst part about not being able to read japanese is the options menu. it's entirely too straight forward otherwise.