PDA

View Full Version : AlTeRnAtInG cApS....

Sekani
Oct 1, 2007, 08:57 PM
...why do people do this?

omegapirate2k
Oct 1, 2007, 10:03 PM
On 2007-10-01 18:57, Sekani wrote:

To annoy everyone else, I assume.

DizzyDi
Oct 1, 2007, 10:05 PM
fUq dA hAtAz!!!!!!!!!!!
i'M 2 cRuNk!

RedX
Oct 1, 2007, 10:05 PM
BeCaUsE iT lOoKs KoOl

Powder Keg
Oct 1, 2007, 10:10 PM
I thought that ended in 2005.

Damn.

BlaizeYES
Oct 2, 2007, 03:23 AM
On 2007-10-01 20:10, Artea wrote:
I thought that ended in 2005.

Damn.

something of that calibur has no expiration date. it just shows someone's mastery of the english language to create complete anarchy of the keyboard without compensating the loss of message

Blue-Hawk
Oct 2, 2007, 10:37 AM
And while we are on the subject of the death of the english language, how hard is it to use punctuation? A paragraph is NOT a basis for a long run-on sentence.

BlaizeYES
Oct 2, 2007, 01:54 PM
if you are talking about my statement being a runon, i beg to differ. when talking in a monologue tone for humor, it is acceptable to use many prepositional phrases to increase the intensity of the statement. i already mastered the english language. i'm a doctor of journalism man

Sekani
Oct 2, 2007, 09:52 PM
On 2007-10-02 11:54, BlaizeYES wrote:
if you are talking about my statement being a runon, i beg to differ. when talking in a monologue tone for humor, it is acceptable to use many prepositional phrases to increase the intensity of the statement. i already mastered the english language. i'm a doctor of journalism man

*facepalm*

DraginHikari
Oct 3, 2007, 02:47 PM
On 2007-10-02 19:52, Sekani wrote:

*facepalm*

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 3, 2007, 03:10 PM
On 2007-10-02 01:23, BlaizeYES wrote:
something of that calibur has no expiration date. it just shows someone's mastery of the english language to create complete anarchy of the keyboard without compensating the loss of message

That may be the case, as seen by a well-assuming, educated individual with no first-hand experience with the circumstance in question, but the sort of thing discussed by the original poster is not an example of language mastery-- rather, a dearth thereof. These antics are usually performed by ignorant youths, believing that they have discovered something clever, that will bolster their threat factor, therefore, making them cooler, respected, even admired, without actually requiring them to actually improve their personalities in any way. The concept of "Capslock is cruise control for your Cool" is a ripe example of this sort of idea. Another example, is an instance of internet shorthand I've encountered, for the word "any". A sufficiently empty mind will spell it, "n-e", which leads me to the inescapable conclusion that the perpetrator is either so thick that they don't realize that "any" is not a long enough word that it can be to advantaged by a 3-character abbreviation, or they are simply using it because they believe the alleged "shorthand" will improve their social standing. Alternating caps are typically used in the same spirit.

On occasion, they are used to specific effect, as you assert. Alternating caps can be indicative to a shaky voice, and related ideas. Occasionally capitalizing an entire word can be used where italics or other font manipulations are unavailable, or in alternative to them, so as to differentiate meaning. The topic of this thread, however, is likely not such a case.

Powder Keg
Oct 3, 2007, 04:32 PM
Personally I like seeing the wrong usage of they're their and there. Even some of the smartest people I know get these wrong. Err....

Not using past tense can crack me up too, such as "what happen" instead of "what happened?"

Blue-Hawk
Oct 3, 2007, 05:40 PM

Well, I was actually directing that to everyone who does that.

Sekani
Oct 3, 2007, 08:49 PM
On 2007-10-03 14:32, Artea wrote:
Personally I like seeing the wrong usage of they're their and there. Even some of the smartest people I know get these wrong. Err....

That's child's play. I know about ten people on the entire internet (seriously) who realize that "your" is not a contraction for "you are".

And yes, Meira, that is what I was getting at with the original post.

BlaizeYES
Oct 5, 2007, 01:14 PM
bLaIzEyEs

it's just not working for me. "blaiz eyes"?

TimeswiperX
Oct 5, 2007, 07:53 PM
On 2007-10-01 18:57, Sekani wrote:

I always thought that people used this to get attention from the message readers...

...that, and it lOoKs PrEtTy TrIpPy!
O.O

omegapirate2k
Oct 6, 2007, 03:11 AM
I say we round them up and kill them.

...too strong?

Darkly
Oct 6, 2007, 07:23 AM
I don't mind seeing a screen-name spelt with alternating caps, if only for aesthetic effect.

I HATE it when people type messages etc. like this.

DizzyDi
Oct 6, 2007, 10:03 AM
On 2007-10-06 05:23, Darkly wrote:
I don't mind seeing a screen-name spelt with alternating caps, if only for aesthetic effect.

I do. I also hate seeing XoX~sWeEtbAbYpRiNcEsS~XoX.
And whats worse is when people make BLING BLING gifs out of their bullshit.
Oh jeezus.

Out_Kast
Oct 6, 2007, 10:39 AM
On 2007-10-06 01:11, omegapirate2k wrote:
I say we round them up and kill them.

...too strong?

Oh, no. Perfectly acceptable x]
I'll admit; I used to do it. But then I saw it, and I thought 'Eww'.