PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a potential PSU player

Davedave
Oct 2, 2007, 11:24 PM
Hello, I use to play the previous online Phantasy Stars, from DC to XBOX. I'm possiblely doing to give Phantasy Star Online. Although, I was wondering do y'all think Phantasy Star Universe has enough content to keep you interested for a lengthy time period? Does it measure up to the other more well known online multi-player games content wise, such as World of Warcraft, Final Fantsy XI, etc.? I know the combat systems are different and a lot of key features are as well.

Wallin
Oct 2, 2007, 11:26 PM
In terms of content and gameplay, the game is probably closest to Diablo. It's not really a vast MMORPG, it's more like a multiplayer real time adventure.

Chuck_Norris
Oct 2, 2007, 11:38 PM
Like he said, we don't get a lot of people(about 800 at most). But you really only need 5 other people, since 6 is all a party can hold.

Davedave
Oct 2, 2007, 11:39 PM
So, the population of PSU is low?

Sydz
Oct 2, 2007, 11:41 PM
It used to be decent, but at first Sega was pretty slow with the updates, and lost a chunk of players. It's low now, but just about anyone I party with is nice.

Chuck_Norris
Oct 2, 2007, 11:43 PM
On 2007-10-02 21:41, Sydz wrote:
It used to be decent, but at first Sega was pretty slow with the updates, and lost a chunk of players. It's low now, but just about anyone I party with is nice.

Yeah thats the good thing about having a low amount of people, you tend to find nice people rather than total assholes. They're still there, but not many have botherd to stay this long.

Kent
Oct 2, 2007, 11:49 PM
What really sets PSU apart from other online RPGs, are the combat system (which is tailored to be more like an action game - the developers even refer to it as an Online Action RPG), and that it has a very limited scope in comparison to many modern online RPGs games.

Compared to MMORPGs (which, factually speaking, PSU is very much not one), it has a much more in-depth battle system, but on the other hand, the rest of the game really is very shallow. What the game comes down to, essentially, is people wanting to run the exact same mission, with an almost invariable mission layout (save for small differences) repeatedly... And kick everyone else out of the party if they come across rare enemies. Most missions are really short, but that's a high point it has over games that are actually MMORPGs - it doesn't require much of a time investment to play. You can just pop on, do a couple missions, and log off.

In other words, if you're looking for large communities and lots of depth in the game, you're best going elsewhere, such as MMORPGs. If you want quick, repetative, hack-and-slash style missions with a comparatively small number of active players and a completely unjustifiable monthly fee, then PSU is the place for you.

GreenArcher
Oct 3, 2007, 03:00 PM
It's really the same style as PSO, just the next generation.