PDA

View Full Version : My roomie found two kittens left by a dumpster in a box...

imfanboy
Oct 5, 2007, 03:27 AM
My roomie brought home two kittens that had been abandoned by a dumpster in a cardboard box, and right now, they're playing on and around my laptop. *shoos one off of keyboard*

He spotted a teeny paw poking out of the top of a box that had its ends folded over, and because he's a genuinely kind man he brought them home. One of them has had blue and red ink on it, as though someone was drawing on her.

If they're over a month old, I'll eat my hat; and as I was issued it in boot camp way back in 2001 it would be nasty and sweaty. They're less than 8 inches long (not counting tail, of course) and they've still got the baby pudge belly.

If I were to name them, I think I'd call the female Chii, because so far she's the only one that's talked at all, and only when she's separated from me will she talk, and when she talks it sounds like she's saying "Chii, chiii!" Dunno about the male, probably Master because I promised myself I'd name my next cat that.

Shit. Shitshitshit. I can't keep them. I know I can't. We've got 7 cats already, and we can't give any of those to the shelter because it would be as good as a death sentence - who wants a cat over 1-2 years old, even if they've been spayed already? These kittens have a better chance of finding a good home by themselves, because they are little and cute and genuinely affectionate.

They're both asleep for now, sprawled on my blankets and on me, but so nervous that it took them a while to even get used to the sound of me typing - spirits forbid I should try to take a drink from my cup!

My roommate thought I would be mad that he'd brought them home. Hah. I'm sad, instead - just yesterday I was thinking, "There are seven cats in this house, but none of them are mine - or do I belong to none of them?"

I'm sad because I want to keep them, even though I know that I cannot.

Though I do feel a cold rage for the people who abandoned them. These cats aren't even ready to be separated from their mothers yet - close to, but not for another 2-3 weeks at least. Bloody hell, they're not even on solid food yet!

Heinlein once wrote, "Once you've taken on a pet, you have an obligation - not for your life, but for the pet's life," and, "May the coldest circle in hell be reserved for those who abandon kittens."

Right now, those two about sum up my feelings.

SabZero
Oct 5, 2007, 04:43 AM
Aww, how sweet http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

You probably know this, having pets already. Take them to a vet for a checkover. Then there's some organisations that can help rehome them - RSPCA in the UK for example. You can probably ask your local authority for hints.

Solstis
Oct 5, 2007, 08:57 AM
I'd be wary of Feline Leukemia. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

SStrikerR
Oct 7, 2007, 07:53 AM
awww thats so cute, but yes, i am pissed at the people who do that.
7 cats? wow.
anyways, first id take it to the vet, then i would keep them, but from then on, go and kill my roomate if he brought home more.
you just CANT abandon them